[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 700x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 700x544
How do you guys handle the existence of God in your setting? I mean with a capital 'g'. Do you try to keep both the Fedora-Tippers and Puritan-Fags happy? Or do you dump one in favour of the other?

I say this as someone who wants to do some high-level "God is Evil and must be stopped by any means" stuff, but has players who would be, at best, profoundly uneasy with that idea
>>
>>47341015
When you say God as in capital G, I'm assuming we're at least on the same concept of a monotheistic deity with a Christian theme.

As such, why would any race created by this deity ever be motivated to fight and or rebel? Unless the deity is about to outright delete the race from existence, the people would be hard pressed to fight it.

Help me understand.
>>
>>47341015
Capital-G god is unfortunately omnipotent, so if he wants to do evil, he cannot be stopped at all, no matter what. In other words, if he can be stopped, he isn't the real thing. So maybe have "god" actually be an usurper or something? Like in the bible. Fighting someone who usurped God would probably be something your players would like.
>>
>>47341015

So what your saying is, that you are a fedora tipper and you want to stick it to your puritan buddies, and you want us to tell your how to do it without having it blow up in your face?

Sure, i can help you with that problem here is the solution, it's really simple find other fedora rippers who would enjoy the idea, or don't try to force your preferences on your players if you know they won't like it.
>>
>>47341015
Don't make God with a capital G evil. It's a mistake. You can make a creator god evil, or make a demon/ powerful being pretending to be God evil (like YHVH from SMT), but never make God evil. Generally he should just be left out of /tg/ stuff.
>>
>>47341295
Going off what this dude said, you might wanna look into the Gnostic idea of the Demiurge. Basically, the idea is that the *creator* isn't necessarily God, and is thus evil for creating such a heavily flawed universe. That could be a good jumping-off point for the idea of a monotheistic 'God' that actively opposes mankind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demiurge
>>
>>47341015
The same way reality does. He is absent, but people argue about what he did or didn't do in the past.
>>
>>47342013
No one cares or argues about Zeus raping who or what 3-4 thousand years ago.

And I doubt people can be really atagonistic towards big G for destroying Sodom and Gomorrah.
>>
>>47341015
The only way to keep them happy would be a kind of neoplatonist binarism - the 'God' that is worshipped by the churches is actually the Adversary, but the real 'God' doesn't do anything on the mortal plane beyond some moral support and collecting the souls of the faithful. Read up on Catharism or Gnosticism if you must, but it's a difficult trope to do well.
>>
Make the capital G self-proclaimed and let him simply be a very powerful god in the setting.
>>
File: Fighting god.jpg (1 MB, 1863x2739) Image search: [Google]
Fighting god.jpg
1 MB, 1863x2739
>>47341015
Someone beat you to it, OP. But at least you can steal the idea.
>>
How about you instead go full fedora tipper and have them go back into the past and kill+rape+mutilate every prophet from every major religion until religion is dead, all the while smiling and giggling like a retard (which you are).
>>
Do like an "American Jesus" false prophet.
Someone who believed he's good and has UST enough power to ,make other's believe... but isn't.
>>
>>47341015
maybe you should read this.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/25064626/#p25077833
>>
File: 1413833758937.jpg (80 KB, 708x566) Image search: [Google]
1413833758937.jpg
80 KB, 708x566
I've never had a game with capital g God. I've just used the standard "there's many gods presiding over different realms and concepts, but no monotheistic God of Everything".

I've toyed around with the idea though. From having a big God with various saints and angels that act as traditional "pantheon" in a fantasy setting, to just the God that created and governs the other gods.

I also like the idea of a Lawful/True Neutral God. One that's beyond the concepts of Good and Evil, either because he's the creator of Good and Evil itself, or just so outside of mortal concepts that Good and Evil just can't apply to him, and just focuses on keeping some sense of "order" in the universe, whether his actions could be defined as "Good" or "Evil".

It allows both good and evil players alike to either revere or hold a grudge against the big guy. It also allows him to be the kind of God that would kill a bunch of teenagers with bears one minute, and save a village from a meteor that's about to hit it the next. Why is God sometimes a dick, but sometimes a cool dude? Because he's neither good or evil, he just does what he wants.

>Do you try to keep both the Fedora-Tippers and Puritan-Fags happy?
I don't really care. If they don't like it, they probably don't belong in my games.

I mean, I'm religious myself, but I don't get offended when a fantasy game has something that doesn't necessarily align 100% to my personal beliefs. And as for Fedora-Tippers, if they get offended that there's a non-existent god in a fantasy game, then they're going to have a ton of trouble when they suddenly realize there's magic, monsters, and various historical inaccuracies all throughout the campaign.
>>
>>47344000
>>bullshit there are no descriptions of god

How wrong can one guy be? There are extensive passages about Jesus in Revelations.

>>47341015
I don't think a single person in my group is not an atheist.
In fact I actually ran a contemporary fantasy game where there was a literal Abrahamic God who died along with most powerful supernatural beings in the wars around 1000CE, but that aspect was barely touched on really.

Otherwise I've only stolen the same parts of Christian mythology everyone else has, the cool trippy descriptions of angels and such in Revelations and similar; bits from Dante's Divine Comedy, the chivalric legends and such. And bits of myths and legends that Christianity stole down the ages, like the various hundreds of "one semi-divine man takes on mortal evil and dies to take them away" or "a sacrifice and rebirth to honor/create spring" legends.

If I somehow did acquire a practicing Jew, Christian, or Muslim in my group, I wouldn't seek to antagonize them, but I wouldn't pander to them either.
>>
>>47341015
>God is Evil and must be stopped by any means

That's not possible if he's THE God. You'd just have to hope that the all knowing, all powerful evil being decides not to fuck with you personally. An evil omnipotent God that's active in the world is just about the most terrifying thing I can possibly imagine, it would make I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream look like Good Night Moon.
>>
>>47341015
I'd Had a game with a capital G god, He is technically not a god just a program that went insane when the ones doing maintenance disappeared or died.
The Clerics are people that figured out how to use control commands, leaching power from an insane god that can barely do anything.
>>
>>47341015
I don't have "the creator" be a thing. The first realms were formed naturally (natural magnetic forces of matter/inherrant magic/science), then the deities born from the matter in those realms created other realms, dieties, animals, etc.
>>
File: pm_224545[1].jpg (45 KB, 959x1000) Image search: [Google]
pm_224545[1].jpg
45 KB, 959x1000
>>47341015
I'd play him like a law of physics with personality.
He's totally untouchable by the players and omnipotent in every sense of the word.
He'd be frank and blatant about the way things are and if the PC's don't like it then they can enjoy the most horrific afterlife I can dream up for them.

>PC's: Why do gay's go to hell? Why can't rape victims get abortions? Why do you treat women so badly?
>God: I made all of reality. I make the rules. You don't have to like them. But if you don't follow them there's a cosmic concentration camp with your name on it.

He's not evil or good.
He just got to make the rules of the game.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.