[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you handle flight/hovering in your games on the table?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
How do you handle flight/hovering in your games on the table?

We've been using minis and a battlemap for a while now, and when someone is flying we just mark what height they're at relative to the ground, but some of my more ambitious players want to build something to actually hold the mini in the air. I was wondering if any of you have a similar idea, or experiences with 3D space.

We agree pic related are not good for this.
>>
>>47326995
Those chessex dice boxes.
>>
>>47326995
There are several elevation tools for holding minis in the air. In the end you may just want to mark heights using dice on the base of the mini. Using an escelator may be convenient at the ceiling of the average dungeon, but not in an open encounter where two guys are dueling 300 feet above ground on their flying steeds.
>>
>>47327238
>Several elevation tools
Like?
>>
>>47326995
Why would you need to set height difference between the minis?
>>
Ive used telescoping magnetic rods which you can find at harbor freight and other hard ware and auto repair places or game/miniature companies.

http://m.harborfreight.com/18-inch-telescoping-magnet-37187.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

http://www.corseceng.com/products/omni-stand-telescoping-rods
>>
You can use an alligator clip on a dowel mounted to a base. Attach the alligator clip to the miniature via a piece of wire.

Take a look at WWI air miniature combat games like Blue Max.
>>
>>47327313
Dr. Wizards Patented Elevation Indicator off the top of my head
>>
File: swimming.jpg (113 KB, 700x761) Image search: [Google]
swimming.jpg
113 KB, 700x761
>>47326995
the cerulean seas setting (underwater merfolk setting) recomends using this settup. graduated dowls connected to a base. use platforms and connected to clothespins to put models up on the dowls.

this anon has the correct answer
>>
File: Capture.jpg (341 KB, 1435x872) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
341 KB, 1435x872
>>47329286
>>47326995
whoops wrong capture
>>
I don't use flying encounters. Flying is complete garbage, and literally every system that contains detailed flight rules, is absolute wankery.

Here's how it works; the dragon can fly and he can be where I say he is when I want him to be there. Yes he can attack and firebreath the whole part from any angle, he is a fucking dragon, deal with it. No you cannot attack him and once the wizard is firebreathed to death you have to run away. That is the nature of the game, if you are too much of a pussy get out of my campaign. I don't run campaigns for pussies that need to use miniatures so that they can minmax everything.
>>
>>47329344
>Flying rules are too hard for me to understand, and using a board for players to move around and gain strategic advantage gives me less power as a DM.
>Playing a character and wanting to gain a tactical advantage based on location is minmaxing.

Please go back to whatever hole you crawled out of.
>>
>>47329286
>>47329308
I like this alot.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.