[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shadow of the Demon Lord
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: shadow-of-the-demon-lord.jpg (150 KB, 684x833) Image search: [Google]
shadow-of-the-demon-lord.jpg
150 KB, 684x833
Opinions, /tg/?

On mechanics, setting, system, style, whatever.
>>
>>47318909
The only thing I've seen of it was the "lol, your balls fall off and your dick explodes!" spell. I don't know anything else about it, but that was enough to color my expectations somewhat.
>>
>>47318909
It's supposed to be Diablo-like demonic horror with horrific magicks and whatnot, but I haven't played it.
>>
>>47318909
Fantastic if you want to play Diablo3 without a computer.

The combat mechanics are gamey as fuck.It feels less like a roleplaying game and more like a boardgame that's full of itself.
>>
>>47321654
>The combat mechanics are gamey as fuck.It feels less like a roleplaying game and more like a boardgame that's full of itself.

In what way, exactly?
>>
>>47321688
Emphasis on rules that don't really make sense but that make for "cooler gameplay"
>>
>>47321918
Examples?
>>
>>47323058
>Hey, when you do this attack, you can choose between knockback and damage, because your opinion matters once the arrow leaves the bow!
>>
>>47323182
That... Doesn't sound that bad, really. I didn't expect the game to be Riddle of Steel exactly.
>>
>>47323182
What exactly is so bad about this?
>>
>>47323189
It really doesn't. Depending on how it's implemented it even makes some amount of sense.

>>47321918
>>47321654
Is just being a huge autist.
>>
>>47323189
>>47323207
Whatever floats your boat.

Like I said, If you want to play Diablo3 without a computer, this is the pen and paper rpg you should go for.
>>
>>47323207
It's completely meta. You can't normally choose an arrow type once it has left the bow. It has no grounding in reality.
>>
>>47323233
You don't like games that are more to the narrative side, possibly prefering more crunchy games, huh?
>>
>>47323220
>I like being contrary and argue about games I haven't read the rules for because reasons.

>>47323233
It's not even fluffed as blunt arrows or anything of the sort. It's literally just "hey, when you make attack x, you can choose damage type because reasons!"

>>47323249
A p&p that cares about making gamey combat rules that make no sense within the fiction of the setting is the opposite of a narrative game.
>>
>>47323281
>>47323249
So "yes", then.
>>
>>47323294
This game is meh because of this.
>You hate narrative games don't you?
This is not a narrative game.
>Exactly.

I have no clue what you're actually going for here.
>>
>>47323334
"So "Yes", then", as in, you seem to prefer more crunchy games, is what I am assuming by your previous statements.
>>
>>47323360
HOW do you infer that I prefer crunchy games from me disliking a game that has rules that is not grounded in the fiction of the setting?

I dislike it because it feels like a videogame, something I enjoy in videogames, but not in P&PRPGs

The rules for combat and advancement feels like something you could port over from something I could play on my Xbox One or in a board game. They are not simulating anything, they are not attempting to feel believable or immersive, they're mainly just various flavour of "choose to do less of this, do special effects instead!" Like knockback attacks that do less damage "do less damage on this attack, get a bonus against the next creature that attacks you!" It's basically "press button x y or z!" style combat.

Crunchy is not the opposite of narrative if you were somehow under that assumption.
>>
Okay, this Diablo 3 nigger is in every Shadows of the Demon Lord thread. He's like Virt 2.0 for DW threads. He sounds like an anti-4e dumbass who thinks 4e is like WoW, or an anti-3.X dumbass who thinks 3.X is like Diablo 2. Get your head out of your ass or stop posting in Shadows threads. Fuck.
>>
The thing that I have gathered from this thread, and that I will share with you now, is this:

Don't ask /tg/'s opinion on any game. Just find a link, download it, and read it for yourself. If you have specific questions about the system, then make a thread discussing your question.

Period.
>>
>>47325760
If nothing else, you're a little wiser for the experience.
>>
File: 1457038952767.png (143 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1457038952767.png
143 KB, 800x1000
>>47323281
You could choose to aim for areas that would disable or areas that would cause more pain
>>
I've played it, it wasn't bad. I like the idea of playing it with horror themes, but the way our DM was it ended up almost slapstick. Don't think they'd be able to manage horror.

The only rules snag we came up against was that, for whatever reason, you have to be a default human-sized race to be able to trip people... smaller races like goblins weren't allowed to. We never figured out a justification for that, so we tweaked it and moved on. Don't know if that's been errata'd or not.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.