[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to have a conversation happen between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Snapchat-4109597418140995345.jpg (870 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4109597418140995345.jpg
870 KB, 1440x2560
What's the best way to have a conversation happen between two npc's that is required without it being this awkward "dm turning different directions and talking in different voice essentially talking to himself" scenario?
>>
>>47317259
I narrate it indirectly, but it sucks.
>>
>>47317276
Yeah that quickly becomes "he says she says" for long conversations the pc'so might want to listen In on.
>>
>>47317259
Summarize it in a couple of sentences, adding the PC's impressions of what is happening and their emotional reactions whenever possible or appropriate.

>"You turn around the corner and see Ratner and Atopia in a heated argument about the Malavine Gem. Ratner is almost apoplectic as he demands that Atopia destroy the jewel to aid in the rebel army's quest for legitimacy."
>point at player 1 who is somewhat charismatic
>"He comes off a bit rough and unhinged to you."
>"Atopia coolly rebuff's Ratner's demands and tries to rationally explain to him that the gemstone's political significance is of far more importance to the Satrapy Dukedoms than the rebels' trivial concerns, and that keeping the artifact preserved in amber by forest druids is the best way to harness its power."
>point at player 2 who has some Diplomacy skill
>"You have a feeling Atopia's been playing politics behind everyone's back after that exchange."
>>
>>47317498
>"He comes off a bit rough and unhinged to you."

Can't do that, if I say my friends character feels any kind of way he explodes into tirades of "railroading"
>>
>>47317512
Your friend is kind of a tool.
>>
>>47317498
Bah, that sucks, there's literally no dialogue. It's so vague.
>>
>>47317537
B-But anon, that's me
>>
>>47317498
>point at player 2 who has some Diplomacy skill
>"You have a feeling Atopia's been playing politics behind everyone's back after that exchange."

Allow me to respectfully disagree. While I see what you're going for and can understand to a point, in my opinion, it feels like you're taking away player agency. Especially in the above quotes section. That seems like something you would call a roll for, rather than just handing it to them without any kind of challenge.
>>
>>47317512
O_o seriously?
>gm :"when you walk through the door you are disgusted by the smell of rotting meat and a little shaked by the vast display of bloods and gore ...
>pc:"stop raillroading cause i am the only one who know how my character feel"
>>
>>47317592
>O_o seriously?

Are you serious? Lurk more, son.
>>
>>47317592
You should probably let the players roll to see if theyou are disgusted.
>>
>>47317568
You can certainly roll for it if you like. Or present player options in the middle too. It's just a suggestion with a vague example, not a step by step playbook.
>>
>>47317498
>>47317544

That's essentially what I do, throwing in some dialogue and description since I suck at doing voices
>>
Don't

I have found that it can work in online text games, but in real life avoid puppet shows if at all possible beyond brief descriptions of a conversation
>>
>>47317677
if the pc is not a butcher/surgeon/serial killer or a paramedic..
he is disgusted no roll needed to know ...
>>
>>47317512
Your friend is a moron for getting upset by the dm giving him free hints and intuition. Next time tell him like this, "with your character's high charisma, he would notice the npc's off, unhinged disposition. Do what you want with that insight." That way railroad joe can't get huffy, because it's just offered up as observation, and he can do with it as he wants. That includes ignoring it because "muh character", but he is a moron after all.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.