[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What actually gets classified as "fae" (or however
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
What actually gets classified as "fae" (or however you want to spell it) in RPG settings nowadays?

Before you bleat out "Depends on the setting," think back to /tg/ yelling and yapping about "muh authentic folkloric fey are always harmful to human life 100% of the time, no exceptions."
>>
>>47302044
But OP, even authentic faeries are not 100% harmful to humans.
>>
>>47302044
You sound like an asshole. Why would I want to help you understand something?
>>
>>47302072
Exactly the point.
>>
>>47302044

I'd be willing to bet the bleating mostly comes from Changeling the Lost fans, and the True Fae in that game always seemed more like Lovecraftian aliens than fae, to me anyway.
>>
>>47302044

Depends on the setting.

I thought back about it first.
>>
>>47302044
Depends on the setting.
Your sweeping generalizations doesn't change the fact that what counts as a fey varies wildly based on what setting you're talking about and listing them all wouldn't be helpful to anyone, which is why "depends on the setting" is a better answer.
>>
>>47302044
Well, unfortunately, it is largely setting dependent.

Common stuff related to fae (at least in my experience) is usually an association with courts (Seelie/unseelie, or WoDs Seasonal courts) and some magical abilities like glamours. They're almost always rules lawyers as well because their magic runs on it or something.

Granted, this is mostly stuff from either Changeling: The Lost or I get from reading Dresden Files.
>>
>>47302044
Which setting? My answer will depend on it.
>>
>>47302044
What is your setting like?
>>
Rather than go on about setting i'll give some sort of answer.

According to D&D 5e Fey are magical creatures closely tied with the forces of nature.
>>
>>47302044
>What actually gets classified as "fae" (or however you want to spell it) in RPG settings nowadays?

Fairies, pookas, sprites, redcaps, leshis, faery dragons, etc., asshole.
>>
Honestly, in most of the settings I run I actually use a combination of both of the things-
>>47302921
-this anon mentioned. I usually say that Unseelie fall more into the Eldritch Horror bracket, while Seelie is split into the seasonal courts from Dresden Files. I've also borrowed tidbits from pieces of material like "Tales of the Questor". I usually try to veer more towards the classic Celtic mythos when I can, but I'm pretty much shit tier when it comes to researching that. Romans'n'Teutonics are usually more my speed.

Has OP looked at Shadow of the Demon Lord? I almost never find people talking about that game, and I keep trying to throw it at my standard D&D groups. Unfortunately, several of them basically say "If it wasn't published by WotC, FASA, or FFG, I won't touch it." I did get a few friends online to try it as an interlude game while our usual GM is hung up with college finals, but there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth from some of them since it's just similar enough for them to be able to complain that it isn't more like D&D 3.5.

Either way, give SotDL a look. Faeries are largely present as antagonists and supporting factions depending on what the GM wants to do, and they can be highly versatile. That setting actually does something rather interesting in having the Devils of Hell actually be a type of faerie, in which they feed on the corruption of human souls, flensing them like evil wheat on a threshing floor that's on fire. In short, it actually tries to justify a long-standing bit of confusion in how there was never any real reason for Devils and Demons to be different things. There's all manner of little Faerie tidbits in SotDL, but it's still a system that's largely dependent on having a creative DM. There's only enough in the bestiary of the core book to get you started and get a feel for the kinds of critters that are in this world, but what is provided is pretty great.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.