[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the eagles just fly them over to Mount Doom?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 17
File: frodo.png (214 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
214 KB, 400x399
Why didn't the eagles just fly them over to Mount Doom?
>>
>>47252119
Because the eagles don't really care enough to risk it. They're not dumb animals.
>>
File: Mountdoomrevised.jpg (614 KB, 1573x2560) Image search: [Google]
Mountdoomrevised.jpg
614 KB, 1573x2560
>>47252119
Nazgul, though largely because the idea of dropping an innocent child-like creature in to a volcano is morally disgusting the majority of people who would likely buy the book.

It would also change some of the beautiful script of the cover art to something belonging to resident fuck-wit and professional scammer L.Ron's Hubbarts Dianetics.

>Pic related
>...Scary.
>>
>a flock of giant eagles is easy to spot and shoot arrows at
>felbeasts
>they're intelligent enough to be tempted by the one ring

Pick all three.
>>
File: bor3.jpg (47 KB, 960x404) Image search: [Google]
bor3.jpg
47 KB, 960x404
One does not simply fly into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand eagles could you do this. It is folly.
>>
Cross class handle animal skill points
>>
>>47252119

Nazgul would see them coming and fuck them up with dragons.
>>
A more reasonable question might be, why didn't the eagles fly the fellowship of the ring over the misty mountains
>>
>>47252337
Speak to animal was not prepared that morning.
>>
>>47252306
>dragons.

Nazgul don't ride dragons.
>>
>>47252155
This
>>
>>47252306
They're called fell beasts
>>
>>47252119
Gandalf was leading the party directly towards the Eagles, following roughly the same path that the dwarves+Bilbo took in Hobbit, but Saruman intervened with the whole 'bringing down the mountain on us' thing, forcing the party to detour through Moria. When the Balrog killed Gandalf, he didn't have time to explain the whole plan to the Fellowship. All he had time to say was "Fly, you fools."

He was hoping that Frodo would put it together with what had happened to Bilbo and lead the Fellowship to the eagles, but it didn't work.

TL;DR: That was Gandalf's plan but then Balrog happened.
>>
>>47252353

They are variety of dragons. Tolkien's taxonomy was much less clearly defined. He had dragons without wings, even
>>
Why couldnt red riding hood tell a Wolf from her grandma
>>
>>47252387
>mfw so many people think Nazgul refers to fell beasts because every time a gondorian scream NAZGUL the ringwraith always rides one
>>
File: dildo faggins.jpg (33 KB, 511x383) Image search: [Google]
dildo faggins.jpg
33 KB, 511x383
why didn't the fucking asshole eagles fly them all the way to the Lonely Mountain?

they just left them at the top of some other mountain after saving them from the goblins
>>
>>47252397
i could be wrong but the talk about earth burrowing wyrms/worms became the sandworms in the third hobbit movie
>>
Wouldn't flying the ring into Mordor put it in plain sight of the lidless eye, i.e. Saurons ringdar?
>>
>>47252119
The eagles are symbol of good and would be easily spotted and attacked. They're also susceptible to the ring's corruption, remember a defining aspect of the hobbits was their resilience against the ring's call. Why is this still a question that gets asked?
>>
>>47252464
the lidless eye is symbolic in the book, real in the movie. there was no lighthouse there
>>
If I'm not completely mistaken sauron still has two or three dragons lying around. Why didn't he use them for anything? Could the dragons just not be bothered? Lazy writing? Or is there actually a proper explanation?
>>
The Eagles are afraid of flying above farms because people would shoot them, nevermind the armies of the Dark Lord at Mordor
>>
>>47252155
If they aren't dumb, are they tempted by the ring? What would happen if the ring slipped into the talon of a great eagle?
>>
>>47252531
Invisible evil giant eagle.
>>
>>47252500
i haven't heard about that. it wasn't even certain that smaug would have sided with sauron but gandalf was afraid that that would happen. after the fall of morgoth the dragons probably just fucked off and stayed in the north, away from everyone. they probably weren't made to be social or herd animals so to speak. if they were actually in control of evil they would have destroyed middle earth whenever they wanted instead of bullying dwarves in the far north every once in a while. of course not all of them were fire breathing so they didn't have the same destructive capability as smaug
>>
>>47252531
Probably the same thing that happens to everyone else wearing it. And yes, they can and would be tempted by it. Arguably worse because they might know how to actually use it so it's almost as bad as giving it to Gandalf.
>>
File: the bow and arrow.jpg (30 KB, 1006x620) Image search: [Google]
the bow and arrow.jpg
30 KB, 1006x620
>>47252119
>>
>>47252435

Because the eagle didn't give a fuck about some dorfs wanting bling bling. They saved Thorin and the company, but come on, it's the difference from helping a guy with a broken car on the side of the road and taking him from LA to the east coast.
>>
>>47252500

As far as we know, smaug was the last of the great dragons. Sauron DID employ the last of his giant monster pets left over from melkor's bullshit, including the fell beasts and trolls
>>
>>47252396
I know this a fan theory and not accurate but goddamn does it rub me wrong.

If Gandalf had enough time to say "Fly, you fools" he could have just as easily said "Seek the eagles," or something similarly easy to interpret.

As I recall the King of all Birds told Gandalf that he wouldn't dare lead his subject to certain death against Sauron and the Nazgul in Mordor. This of course changes when Sauron gets wasted by the destruction of the ring and the revelation that the Nazgul have been defeated in battle (at least temporarily).
>>
>>47252435
because there was a massive fucking dragon living in the lonely mountain.
i dunno
probably
just spitballing here.

remember smaug laid waste to entire armies before, everyone was afraid of him and only a party of stubborn dwarves and a hobbit who was in over his head were stupid enough to not only go near that mountain but try and STEAL something from said dragon.
>>
>>47252583
yeah pretty much the only creatures that can withstand the temptation are hobbits, some individuals and tom bombadil
>>
>>47252643
Bombadil doesn't stand the temptation, he doesn't feel it at all. It's explained as him being "his own master" but he actually puts on the ring as joke and it doesn't even turn him invisible.
>>
>>47252396
wrong. the road the dwarves took in hobbit is at the time of the war of the ring too unsafe to pass through. too unsafe i mean absolutely impossible for anything short of an army. in lotr they took much southern road. the goblin town is in the north, close to gundabad.
>>
>>47252643

>tom bombadil

Obviously a fragment of sauron's power couldn't corrupt Ungoliant.
>>
>>47252684
>roughly the same path
>>
File: ornithology.jpg (150 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
ornithology.jpg
150 KB, 760x596
>>47252119
This is why.
>>
>>47252698
oh sorry i was mistaken
>>
>>47252698
>Much more southern is roughly the same.
Try to get from El Paso to Dallas by means of I10 and tell me how it works out for ya.
>>
>>47252119
Four reasons.

1. They didn't want to. You can't make them. They'd be with Boromir on this crazy plan. No thank you.

2. Orcs have bows. The king of all eagles was afraid of farmers with bows ffs. Flying to Mount Doom would have just gotten everyone killed, and there are many possible locations along the journey for this inevitable massacre.

3. Because they're trying to avoid being seen, and it's way easier to spot the eagles and track their movements. Everything goes to complete shit forever as soon as Saruman or Sauron get a hold of that fucking ring. Last thing you want is either of them knowing your exact location.

You know they didn't even think that the council had decided to destroy the Ring. They were convinced Aragorn was most likely going to take it and try to lead an army against Mordor attempting to use it as a weapon.
>>
>implying eagles didn't have their own epic saga where flying hobbits around was detour out of goodness of heart.

You don't read much about hobbits in Feathership of The Ring by SCROO KAWAA KAWAA TOSKRIIIEN
>>
>>47255754
lel good post
>>
>>47252396

Moviefag detected. In the book, the mountain itself is harassing them. Not Saruman.

That said, I totally understand why they changed it for the film.
>>
>>47252396
this theory makes sense if there were no books in existence. Jackson was telling you a story that based off a series of novels, in terms of storyline those novels are all he had to go off. since there is no mention of gandalf wanting to do that in the books then there is 0 possibility it would have happened in the movie. never make assumptions about movies that are based off books, just read the books instead.
>>
>>47256229
Didn't someone ask Gandalf if the Eagles will help them? And Gandalf said he already asked they explicitly told him no?
>>
File: Sauron.jpg (641 KB, 1938x1418) Image search: [Google]
Sauron.jpg
641 KB, 1938x1418
>>47252119
Why didn't the Hobbits just give the Ring back to its rightful owner? They're supposed to be the "good guys" but instead of returning stolen property they keep it for themselves.
>>
Eagles bullshit aside, I do have a question.

Exactly how the hell did hobbits in the Shire manage not to be fucked over by pretty much the first bad guy?

I mean:

1) pretty damn good lands, maybe the only decent ones for agricoltural business west of the Misty Mountains
2) no army or basically any means to ward off bad guys
3) it's not like there wasn't any orcs or shit from the mountains, nor was Elrond's power very good at stopping really anything say in the third millennium of TE

So it basically means the Rangers not only did know the movements of any orcs' party of say 10+ people (which I can more or less buy) but Sauron, who did know about hobbits, didn't see any reason to use say 3000 stray orcs and fuck over royally The Shire.
Hell, not even Sauron, what about the Great Goblin?

I dunno, it's like JRRT did get the part about "hidden village" but didn't bother to actually hide the Shire.
>>
>>47252435
In the book its because the men of laketown try to hunt them. Also Im gonna go with dragon as my second guess.
>>
>>47256621
>Sauron
Probably didn't want to draw too much ire from rivendell and such and by the time he was powerful to not give a shit the ring had left the shire.
>Great Goblin
Rivendell, wizards, rangers and maybe some dwarfs.
>>
>>47257218

But come on man, Elrond had maybe 300 elves at his command. Actually to me it seems like a worthwhle diversion.

>I'm starting to think the real answer is fucking Bombadil
>>
>>47252119
>A Man succumbing to the Ring
Bad

>An Elf succumbing to the Ring
Double plus bad

>A fuck-of huge flying Eagle succumbing to the Ring
Shit fuck oh cunts we are never getting that back bad.
>>
>>47252119
Because it'd have made a boring story.
>>
>>47257550
What is gandalf on this scale?
>>
>>47256621
In the book, Saruman lives through getting kicked out of his tower and goes on to take over the Shire.

Why was it ignored until then? It doesn't really have any strategic value, I guess. Maybe the evil bad guys had bigger fish to fry.
>>
>>47257642

It's the "not of strategic value" that I don't' really get: the Shire seems basically the most potentially valuable piece of land property for the bad guys after motherfucking Gondor.

Oh well.
>>
>>47257589
Holocaust.
>>
File: middle-earth-map.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
middle-earth-map.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1200
>>47256621
Tolkien specifically discusses how the Shire is protected at some point, although I can't recall where.

Also, at the time of the books, bad people actually are starting to show up in or around the Shire.

Geographically, it's protected by the Barrow-downs, the Old Forest and the Hedge, the Brandywine, etc.

Also, it's just not really that known, interesting, or valuable. If you're an orc, would you rather raid Lake-town or a Gondorian settlement, which are well known to have valuables and trade routes, or are you going to go after some midgets with tomatoes?
>>
>>47252476
Why didn't they get on the eagles and dangle the ring off them with a really long rope so it doesn't get close enough to corrupt them
>>
>>47252397
Just read the books,they aren't dragons. They are a type of featherless carrion bird, this is gone over several times.
>>
>>47252396
Fly just means run fast, it's an expression he uses many times in his writing.
>>
>>47252481
There was a red eye in the book,but it was just a bright regular sized eye peering out from the top most window of barad-dur
>>
>>47256800
This. Lake Town basically lived in fear of a giant murdersaurus, so anything bigger than a hawk would be shot don't IMMEDIATELY.
>>
>>47257893
Why don't I just put a million dollars a block away from you and watch you not get tempted?
>>
Because Tolkien said the Eagles were nothing but a plot device, and admittedly accepted this flaw wholeheartedly because he was busy masturbating to linguistics
>>
>>47258032
Don't tell them it's the ring say it's a fruit delivery
>>
>>47257994
In the novel weren't most people in Laketown doubtful of the existence of Smaug because all they had were stories to go off of?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (421 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
421 KB, 1920x1080
>>47252119
Nazgul have methods of flight. Also the Eagles likely can't resist the Ring. They're proud as heck.
>>
>>47252197

Yep. They're Maia too, like Gandalf, so them getting the Ring would be bad news.
>>
>>47260812
They were Maiar on older versions of the legendarium, but Tolkien later backpedalled on that one and changed it to them being just intelligent animals who also happened to serve the Valar.
>>
>>47256621
The Hobbits had their own militia, and were able to defend their borders surprisingly well. Theres stuff in the books about a war between Hobbits and Goblins about a century before the Hobbit. Before that they had been protected by the nation of Armor who considered them a semi autonomous province and even after Arnor's fall the Dunedain intercepted the larger threats before they reached the Shire.
>>
>>47252155
Wrong

Because the fucking ring would corrupt them and theyd dump the hobbits and end the world sometime after.

Is it really that hard of a fucking concept to understand, its like giving Boromir a kill everyone without issue and take the ring button and hoping everything would work out just fine.
>>
I'm sure that's the plan Saruman would have approved of.
So, congratulations, Modern Geek Collective. You think like Saruman.
>>
>>47252119
How many times do we need to explain this shit? Sauron coud've fucking burned them out of the sky with eagle-rape lasers, they could only fly into Mordor after he was dead.
>>
>>47256621
Bandobras Took is an example as to why orcs avoided the Shire.
>>
>>47256621
Because no one was stupid enough to get that close to Tom Bombadil.
>>
File: askedandanswered.png (367 KB, 865x650) Image search: [Google]
askedandanswered.png
367 KB, 865x650
>>47252565
>>
File: 8ed.png (271 KB, 491x616) Image search: [Google]
8ed.png
271 KB, 491x616
If the Palantír was indestructible why didn't they just put it on a catapult and fired it at Sauron's tower?
>>
>>47264130
Saurons tower is also indestrcutible.
>>
>>47257777
Sauron had enough fertile farmland in Nurn to feed his armies, and, strategically, it was too distant to be a viable target for conquest. Sure, he might have been able to order some Misty Mountain orc tribes to raid it, but what would that have accomplished? The Hobbits were barely a concern for him. And the Rangers kept the scattered orcs away.

Saruman, on the other hand, did have a strong interest in the Shire. He infiltrated it with his agents, gained control of their economy, and eventually led a group of brigands to conquer it.
>>
>>47264130
Indestructible =/= Unstoppable. It would just bounce off and now Morder has a palantir.
>>
>>47265657
But they destroyed it
>>
>>47260011

Not the guys you're responding to, but yes.

The men that the Eagles were afraid of were the men of the Anduin dales, that area between the mountains and Mirkwood, who would often shoot arrows at them because the Eagles would try to steal their sheep.
>>
>>47252643
>tom bombadil

Yes, because giving the ring to someone who lives surrounded by Barrow Wights, Evil trees, even evil-er trees and Goldberry is clearly a good idea.
>>
>>47257589
Sandwich.
>>
>>47256621
Thorin got lost trying to find Bag End, twice.
>>
>>47252119
Everyone in this thread knows not the tale of Tolkien's lore nor realized what was hidden in plain sight.

Before Gandolf the Gray's apparent death, he spoke but one thing... "Fly! You fools!"

He always intended them to fly upon the Eagles, but was not able to get the ring to them from safety of the prying eye. And he tried to alert the Hobbits of his plan without giving it away to any whom watched.

But, none made sense of his words and his plan was lost with Gandolf into the depths of the darkness.
>>
>>47261266

You got a point, Golfimbul didn't go so well.

Still, Saruman got shit done before the return of the Fellowship...
>>
File: Slap.jpg (19 KB, 159x153) Image search: [Google]
Slap.jpg
19 KB, 159x153
>>47266882
>>
>>47252435
Because eagles get fucked up hard by dragons and by disrespectful asses with bows and both laid between them and the Lonely Mountain, which even if they didn't, why would they want to take the dwarves there again? They're pretty much immune to bribery because they're giant fucking eagles, where are they going to spend gold?

>>47252119
>I'm clever for thinking of something other nerds thought of in the sixties
it was stupid then and it's stupid now. Eagles can die, orcs are heavily industrialised, even though everything they own in the films looks nigger-rigged they have artillery. They shoot the eagles down or mob them with flying creatures, then Sauron gets the ring and everyone has a bad time.
>>
>>47256621
The Shire is protected by the rangers among others and is essentially hidden. Saruman only knows it's there because of Gandalf and goes after them as a fuck you. Hell it's quite likely Sauron isn't even aware the Shire exists because the various kingdoms of men don't seem to have a clue about it.
>>
>>47257589
pootis
>>
>>47266808
>Goldberry
whats wrong with her?
>>
>>47257589

One of Tolkien's letters actually talks about the possibility, although I'd have to go digging if you want an exact quote.

If Gandalf fell to the ring, he'd probably try to hide away for a few years to master it, and then come back and try to kill Sauron. If he managed to keep control of the Ring (which would want Sauron to win, but isn't completely in control either, Gandalf's physical possession does mean a lot) he would win that Maiar fight, Sauron's chance in that is to have the ring betray Gandalf.
>>
If you leave that shit with Tom Bombadil he'll forget about it inside a week and leave it in the middle of the woods for some asshole to find because he just doesn't give a damn.
>>
>>47266882
>Gandolf
>>
>>47252337
Because the Eagles are servants of Manwë and aren't supposed to interfere in Middle-Earth. They help Gandalf some of the time, but only when it suits them, and when it poses no danger to them to do so.
>>
>>47252409
The actors in the movie also called the fell-beasts Nazghûls in the DVD commentary track.
>>
File: Mordor's_DuoSpire.png (250 KB, 683x365) Image search: [Google]
Mordor's_DuoSpire.png
250 KB, 683x365
>>47252155
More like the eagles aren't stupid enough to fly anywhere near or INTO THE PUTRID FUMING CLOUD OF AN ACTIVE VOLCANO
>>
>>47266882
If you want to take that usage of the word 'fly' literate, what's stopping you from taking all the other usages of it literate? Such as just a bit earlier in that chapter when it says "Gandalf came flying down the steps and fell to the ground in the midst of the Company."
>>
>>47269850
Tolkien had some rather surprising attention to detail in some areas. That volcano can cause some fertile farmlands. In fact, another side of Mordor is mainly farmland. The Orcs get fed somehow.
>>
>>47270183
Not surprising, Hawaii is all about active volcanoes and it's a verdant place. Doesn't stop Mount Doom from being able to asphyxiate avians in short order. The eagles are portrayed as sapient, and anything that can think like a person wouldn't fly anywhere near that place.
>>
>>47252435
>why didn't the fucking asshole eagles fly them all the way to the Lonely Mountain?
Eagles are like wizards. They do whatever the fuck they want to and claim there are rules.
>>
>>47256621
>I dunno, it's like JRRT did get the part about "hidden village" but didn't bother to actually hide the Shire.
The Shire is basically just York. Nobody's invaded York since the vikings wound up there by accident.

That's why.
>>
>>47270183
>Tolkien had some rather surprising attention to detail in some areas
>some rather surprising attention to detail
>surprising
Tolkien was all about detail. He just didn't share most of it, and the areas he didn't feel he was knowledgable enough about to make up convincingly he left completely bare. The things you read about in the books is just the outermost point of an iceberg of information that wouldn't have served any purpose being showed in anyone's face but detracting from the story being told. But the fact that it is there is very important because it makes the pieces of information we are shown all point in a unified direction. Middle-Earth makes sense when you read about because unconciously you pick up on all these little hints that these facts weren't made up moments before they were written down but that they all make sense in the greater untold narrative.

And yet, Tolkien wrote practically nothing about the architecture, philosophy, or economy of his imaginary world, partly because he didn't think himself enough of an expert to do so and partly because it didn't matter for the story that was being told.

This is something that very few fantasy authors understand, and it makes the genre suffer.
>>
>>47252531
You get a dragon without the fallen aspect.

That's almost certainly what dragons were, same as Orcs from Elves.

Same reason Galadriel is so fucking scary, powerful being who would be even more terrible as Mistress of the Ring.
>>
>>47270357
There were small bits of economic knowledge though. I remember Bilbo decideding tot ake some gold & silver away from Smaug's place but no painting or anything else. He chose to take a far more universal currency than something no one in the Shire can afford at their supposed value.
>>
>>47256621
>Exactly how the hell did hobbits in the Shire manage not to be fucked over by pretty much the first bad guy?

Well the minute a bad guy took serious interest they DID. The Scouring of the Shire by Saruman is easily one of the most tragic parts of LOTR. Pippin, Frodo, Sam and Merry all come back to their own country invaded by the same forces they thought they'd beaten.
>>
>>47270491
Yes, small bits, but Tolkien never bothered to explore anymore of it than the tiny parts he showed you. We also know that the Northmen traded with Erebor and Dale, and we know that Dwarven traders would come to the Shire, but we know nothing of their trading routes for example, and Tolkien never plotted them out - though he did assume that someone with more knowledge in the field would be able to make sense out of it - and frankly, that information simply isn't needed either way.
>>
>>47252119
Power of the Ring corrupts every living creature except the hobbit,
Only hobbit gave so few fucks they would throw the ring to the mount doom
>>
>>47256621
Also, Rangers. Do not underestimate the Dunedain and the North, though they be few. The last Elf-princes of the High Elves alongside the heirs of Arnor protect the Shire, Bree, and the Road. Not small potatoes, now.
>>
Because eagles aren´t taxis
>>
>>47257434
ONE Elf wounded a literal god beyond healing, because he just got that mad.

A division of pissed-off High Elves would be a terror unimaginable to mortal eyes.
>>
>>47270811

In the First Age.
>>
>>47257550
>A Man succumbing to the Ring
Bad

>An Elf succumbing to the Ring
Double plus bad

>A fuck-of huge flying Eagle succumbing to the Ring
Shit fuck oh cunts we are never getting that back bad.

>Gandalf
Oh FUCK, at least he'll kill Sauron, but still very very bad.

>Galadriel
Meep.
>>
>>47270875
Well, the Second Age Elves were hardly pushovers either.

It's just that the Numenorean kingdoms were just that good.
>>
>>47270983

Yeah, but what did elves do in the third age to asskick Sauron?
>>
File: 1455470674724.jpg (308 KB, 680x798) Image search: [Google]
1455470674724.jpg
308 KB, 680x798
>>47270811
>>
>>47271034
Well, considering that the majority of them jumped ship for Valinor as soon as Sauron was slapped down the first time during Morgoth's reign, then kept leaving.
>>
>>47270357
> Tolkien wrote practically nothing about the architecture, philosophy, or economy of his imaginary world, partly because he didn't think himself enough of an expert to do

I now like to think that alternate universes have their versions of Tolkien, instead of being a language nerd, be obsessed with those
>>
>>47271327

Which is the real problem here. There weren't almost any high elves left, nor many dunedain.
>>
>>47271376
I get the feeling that LotR wasn't a big hit in those universes.
>>
>>47268501
Yes, Gandolf Lungren.
>>
>>47268501
Gandolf Hitler
>>
>>47269873
He's a wizard. He damn sure might have.>>
>>
>>47270732
Those are some Powerful Rangers you got there.
>>
>>47271709

But you gotta admit a fantasy world about painstackingly well researched and assembled architectures sounds so absurd it would be awesome.
>>
>>47252681
That's because the ring doesn't just turn you fucking invisible. It amplifies your natural abilities to godlike levels. Hobbits are great at sneaking so the ring makes them fully invisible.
>>
>>47271879
The One Ring lands in the Forgotten Realms and is picked up by a kobold. How fucked are the Nashkel Mines?
>>
>>47252119

Actually addressed in the books.

The eagles straight up said that is too far for them and they don't give enough of a shit to do so.
>>
File: ohgod.jpg (23 KB, 698x672) Image search: [Google]
ohgod.jpg
23 KB, 698x672
>yfw you realize they only brought Pippin, Merry and Sam along because they could serve as decoys, making it more difficult for The Enemy™ to determine which of the Hobbits had the Ring

gandalf and elrond are fucking ice cold
>>
>>47271866
GATHERED BY A WIZARD, NO LESS.
>>
Doesn't the ring get heavier the closet it gets to Mount Doom?
>>
>>47252119
It always made sense to me, they avoided the place on instinct
>>
>>47272101
It's not meant to be read literally.
>>
>>47272036
I bet they are young and have much attitude.
>>
>>47272377
For Westrons, yeah. Aragorn's a wee lad of eighty.
>>
>>47272604
That's due to being a Númenorian. Not all Westrons have such longevity.
>>
>>47272711
The rest of the Dunedain are from various Old Numenorean noble families just as long-lived.

That's discounting Elladan and Elrohir, too, them being immortal.
>>
>>47271878
>Instead of songs and language for every town there are pages upon pages on how specific fucking amazing elven arches are
>Silmarillion is engineering guide to buldings
>>
>>47272973
Not all Westrons were Dúnedains either, despite the fact that Dúnedain means West-Men. When the Númenorians settled Middle-Earth there were already people living there called Middle Men whom came to inhabit the kingdoms that the Dúnedain ruled. The term referred sometimes to all the allies of the Dúnedain, but usually specifically the people of Eriador.
>>
>>47273134
I'm so fucking wet right now
>>
>>47252119
because they were going to be too busy with your mom that night
>>
>>47271826
>>47271845
James Gandolfini
>>
>>47252239
then how did two and a half hobbits get into it?
>>
>>47256621

If you look at the world map of the tolkien universe you notice that nobody is really around the Shire who would want to risk pissing off the elves who are nearby. Elves don't give a shit about conquering any more thus that keeps them at bay.

Dwarves want MOTHERFUCKING mountains! And there simply aren't enough human settlements (large or small) who would care about the hobbits.
>>
>>47276142
Actually, the Lonely Mountain was pretty unique in its status as a dwarven settlement. As a rule, it's really hard to live in the literal mountains, because there's usually nothing there but snow and rocks.

IIRC, most dwarves in Tolkien accordingly settled in the hills of mountains or underground.
>>
>>47275629
By being really small and inside caves all the time.
>>
>>47252690
I like the idea of him not giving a fuck, he can just going into mordor with the ring on his dick singing and going back home the same day to dinner

Fuck Tom Bombadil he came out of nowhere and just make you wonder what thw fuck was Tolkien smoking when he wrote that
>>
>>47272101
>>47272187
I think it is meant literally, in that there are literally magics making frodo more tired and or actually making the ring heavier, and that magic is probably behind all the noxious poisons in the air of mordor, i think that's a big part of the allure of tolkien, magic isnt strong like harry potter but it is everywhere
>>
>>47276914
Nah, Bombadil's realm is his own, just like his person. At the council they even talk about how that, if sauron gets the ring, Bomadils place would probably be the last to go, slowly being encroached on.
>>
>>47270811
Except if you're some of Ulfang's men, who kicked the butts of first age high elves.

>>4727092
According to Word of God, Gandalf with the Ring could go toe to toe with Sauron; Galadriel couldn't. Letter 246

>>47271879

But that's wrong you fucking retard. The ring makes Isildur invisible in The Disaster of the Gladden fields, and he's no hobbit; it has to do with a bodily transference to the realm of the Fea.
>>
>>47271879
Where do you people even get this from? Theres nothing in the books or Tolkien's letters that even implies this. In fact, Tolkien went into detail on exactly why the Ring turns people invisible and it's because it bridges the barrier from the physical world to the spiritual. Mortals who put the Ring on turn invisible as their physical bodies are displaced. Spiritual beings, like Sauron and Bombadill don't turn invisible because they're already not part of the physical world.

It's an unintended side effect.
>>
>>47272027
They are. Isn't it funny how they end up destroying all the other major powers and end up with their chosen man on the throne of Gondor?

Aragorn was no more a rightful king of that place as Faramir/Imrahil etc. and every 'sign' that he was (ideas planted by Gandalf et al in the centuries before) was shared by others (healing hands, when Elladan and Elrohir display the exact same abilities on the down low, after Aragorn's more public showing).
>>
>>47266808

dude is implied to possibly just be god in LotR. I feel like he could deal with the ring. I don't think he'd WANT TO, though.
>>
>>47281045
Tom Bombadil is most certainly not Eru.
>>
>>47252197
>they're intelligent enough to be tempted by the one ring

This is the easiest and best explanation.

The entire fucking theme of The Hobbit/LOTR works is 'Absolute power is absolutely corruptible.'
It had to be a hobbit and a hobbit alone. How did this message go over so many heads?
>>
File: 1439992251821.png (492 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1439992251821.png
492 KB, 800x600
>>47281596
It's like fucking asking "Why didn't Galadriel just take them? She's like the strongest living character! She could just fuck up any orcs along the way!"

Holy shit this UPSETS me.
>>
>>47252119
Silly anon, the Eagles were on strike. Gadalf was a shitty customer. He smelled guano and hobbit weed all the time. There was even one time where he hired them to fly with a bunch of fucking fat dumb dwarves. It was horrifying. Fucking wizards, man. No sense of right and wrong.
Some eagle faggot even said, "we will not motherfucking fly until that fucking volcano explode!"
And then the fucking volcano exploded. And the eagle faggot was like "well, fuck me."
And then they flew.
>>
>>47281651
That's not hard to explain, just quote what happens when Galadriel sees the ring
>Galadriel laughed with a sudden clear laugh. ‘Wise the Lady Galadriel may be,’ she said, ‘yet here she has met her match in courtesy. Gently are you revenged for my testing of your heart at our first meeting. You begin to see with a keen eye. I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired to ask what you offer. For many long years I had pondered what I might do, should the Great Ring come into my hands, and behold! it was brought within my grasp. The evil that was devised long ago works on in many ways, whether Sauron himself stands or falls. Would not that have been a noble deed to set to the credit of his Ring, if I had taken it by force or fear from my guest?
>And now at last it comes. You will give me the Ring freely! In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!’
The whole reason Galadriel went to Middle Earth was to make her own kingdom to rule. She's the polar opposite of what you want on a ring bearer
>>
Because the franchise would be over in a mere sec by the time they ride on those's birds, although I am more concerned that if they were to fly across to mount doom I would assume that they'll be spotted by some of the orcs on the ground and send in every air support in said area, so if they were to go there, they would have to prepare themselves and bring the entire eagle civilization to out number any flying enemies over there or something like that, there is a dorkly bits video that spoofs this scenario somewhere
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.