[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff: h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: memes.png (66 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
memes.png
66 KB, 661x716
Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

last quest: >>47232737

In honor of Wizards unofficially giving up on producing Unearthed Arcana, what DMSguild products do you want to be featured in it now?
>>
>>47239619
They haven't given up, they've just cut their output in half.

And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they don't reverse this. All over the place they're getting negative feedback on it. People want real playtest material, not 3rd-party homebrew.
>>
>>47239657
>I wouldn't be surprised if they don't reverse this
I wouldn't be surprised if they DO reverse it, I mean.
>>
PHB 124 says that if you would gain a proficiency that you already have, you gain another proficiency of the same type.

Does this apply to Resilient?
>>
>>47239691
There's no reason it wouldn't.
>>
>>47239691
No? That only applies to the skill and tool/language proficiencies you get from your background. If they overlap with your racial or class proficiencies, you can choose another proficiency of the same type (skill/tool/language).
>>
>>47239742 here

Disregard me, this guy is right.>>47239750.

It also explicitly only applies to skill or tool proficiencies.
>>
>>47239691
Only for skills and tools
>>
>Forgotten Realms
My villain is a 13th level necromancer with contacts including her dwarven noble husband/bankroll, a half-orc warlock and his orc clan, a small yugoloth holding company and a black dragon who thinks he's running the show.

How would said necromancer stay entirely within the PC rules and still end up taking over a respectable portion of the world without dying?
>>
>>47239997
>Dwarven necromancer
The ancestors disapprove. Repent now.
>>
>>47237637
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSurkfqXuI
>>
>>47239997
>>47239997
By only operating behind the scenes and making everyone think they are the one coming up with ideas.

First the banker buys up a large plot of land. Then after the PCs expose him and his holdings are left without a ruler the dragon claims his banks as part of his dominion and begins funding an army to take over more land. Then the orcs rise up against him and create standing front line for a war effort causing an escalation of conflict.

Then the yugoloths step in and reveal they are the ones who hold all the capital in the dwarves banks and the dragon lord is suddenly at their mercy unless he wants to be unable to fund his war effort. And of course, they have also been supporting the orcs all along as well... And so the whole land falls to the dominion of the shadow broker who holds the chains of all.
>>
>>47239997
>How would said necromancer stay entirely within the PC rules and still end up taking over a respectable portion of the world without dying?
Why bother making an NPC with PC rules?
>>
File: 1000-yard stare.gif (266 KB, 478x369) Image search: [Google]
1000-yard stare.gif
266 KB, 478x369
Okay, so I've just gotten back from a session where things may have gotten a little out of hand towards the end
So I play as an assassin rogue, and he's just been hired by the party cleric to kill the party's warlock, who just effectively committed genocide
So for now, me and the cleric's player are having our characters go off and do their own thing for a bit (my character left for another reason) and come up with an effective strategy
Only the assassin has personal reservations about this, he's turned his back on the whole killer for hire thing and is trying to start afresh, and worries this might make him slip back into his old ways
Assassin is chaotic neutral, cleric is neutral good and the warlock is chaotic evil
And yeah, the warlock player is completely That Guy, and can be a nightmare to play with sometimes, but I'm really good friends with him irl
I've given the DM the basics of the idea since we were a little rushed to get home after the session finished and I'm gonna talk to him more about it tomorrow, but what do you think I should do?
Do I go through with it and backstab another PC? Or do I less literally backstab a PC and refuse?
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47240610
Kill the PC and kick the guy out of the group. Why the fuck did the dm let someone play an evil character in the first place?
>>
>>47239997
If you are just looking for cheesy necromancer abilities you cab do things like have a shadow for a minion and get it into the shadow of a PC as a constant spy or even drain a little health every night while they sleep. Or do the same thing to various lords.

Skeleton army is pretty potent. With a vast bankroll she could disguise all of them in full plate armor and masquerade as a foreign lord.

If she has yugoloths, orcs, and a dragon at her disposal that could make her a military super power all on her own.

And then there are spells. At 13th level she only has access to 7th level spells but just a glance at them will show you what horrifying things she could accomplish.
>>
>join a campaign on Roll20
>party seems ok, no "half dragon half drow demon prince assassin ranger" players
>there is fucking 0 communication from the DM

we're supposed to play for the first time tomorrow and the I haven't heard from the GM since he accepted me into the group.

How hard is it to find a good game on Roll20?
>>
File: 80sbusinesswoman.png (447 KB, 700x1722) Image search: [Google]
80sbusinesswoman.png
447 KB, 700x1722
>>47239997
Why be a conventional villain at all?

You're a dwarf, you know about banking and economies, you're in with some yugoloths who also apparently know their finances, and you are capable of creating an army of tireless servants. You don't need to take over or terrorize anyone to get what you want.

Start out by buying large stakes in various industries and replacing remote, unskilled labor with skeletons. They can work 24/7, don't need breaks, don't need food, don't need pay, are resistant to injury, completely expendable, and don't give a shit about working conditions. Start putting all the hard-working commoners out of a job while gaining massive amounts of money. Invest in more industries, expand your businesses, and if the masses start to get uppity, buy their good favor with a portion of your profits.

Eventually you're replacing entire labor markets and upending the existing economic order. Thousands are out of work, but can't complain because you're giving them welfare and presumably could unleash thousands of skeletons on anyone who bitches or grows a conscience. "Free" money and increased production bring down the price of luxury goods, making the noble lifestyle attainable to the average citizen. The classes condense into one, you gain even greater good will with the common folk, and the nobles who'd hate it have lost all their power and can't challenge you.

So you've got guaranteed income and total workforce automation. Your people are happy or at least complacent. Now it's time to destabilize OTHER countries by exporting your goods without giving their citizens the same treatment you've given your own. Let their employment sectors collapse and do nothing about it. Become a financial terrorist, ruining your neighbors' prosperity until they all but beg you to buy them out and become your subjects.
>>
>>47241189
Dude are you a professional mason? Because that is very impressive wall you have there.
>>
File: JBn4ySo.gif (869 KB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
JBn4ySo.gif
869 KB, 356x200
>>47241267
Not >>47241189 but is your monitor running out of ink or something?
>>
>>47240610
Alright, I'll bite. How did the Warcock effectively commit genocide?
>>
>>47241189
That doesn't seem all too bad.
>>
>>47239619
So in my setting, the PCs recently helped get nation-wide magical tutoring for everyone.

What would be some good utility spells for the average peasant to pick up with Magic Initiate?
>>
>>47242307
Cantrips:
Mage Hand
Mending
Prestidigitation

1st-level:
Alarm
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Expeditious Retreat
Find Familiar?
Identify
Longstrider
Silent Image
Tenser's Floating Disk
Unseen Servant

That's as far as wizard spells go, utility stuff that is least likely to be used negatively against others. It gets a bit wackier if you include others, like druid where peasants can suddenly feed 10 people for a day with Goodberry.
>>
>>47242435

Goodberry would make a fine omega-nutrient, but I doubt people would give up real food in favor of this cure all. Sometimes, you really enjoy the taste of that warm, hearty soup filled with savory root vegetables and butter, all of it soaked up with a warm, soft bread roll. A berry a day can't beat that.
>>
>>47242435
I don't care how wacky it gets, given that the setting's already rapidly headed for a golden age.

Even Cleric could work, since Zarus and friends wholeheartedly approve of this.
>>
Alright /5eg/, my new setting has a bunch of master swordsman running about, and the players has expressed interest in besting either one or all of them.

What are some cool sword moves/styles that they should have?
For example, one of them can change the direction of his sword's swing last second to get around someone's guard, so he can gain a psuedo-advantage once a round. If he hits for the first attack, he'll change direction to hit again, giving it an extra die of damage. But the wizard and monk want in on this too, so now I got to think of more things for him and his friends to do.
>>
>>47242601
Give them two or three at-will Battle Master maneuvers and call it good.
>>
>>47242665
I've hyped these guys up too damn much, and I feel that would be a letdown.
>>
File: 1460891588472.jpg (246 KB, 627x502) Image search: [Google]
1460891588472.jpg
246 KB, 627x502
>>47240699
>plane shift- zendikar
nani?
>>
File: Worx_electric_chainsaw.jpg (32 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
Worx_electric_chainsaw.jpg
32 KB, 360x240
Alright guys, I'm gonna give one of my players a fucking chainsaw because why the fuck not

I'm thingking greatsword stats with brutal critical but do 1d6 damage to yourself if you roll a 1 to hit (because chainsaws are fucking dangerous)

Cool or what?
>>
>>47243119
Fumbles on attack rolls are stupid, even for a specific piece of equipment.
>>
I was thinking of giving my players a golden cat. Not for a single player, but for all of them. Could make for an interesting mechanic and maybe get some party interaction going.

Good idea, bad idea?
>>
>>47243142
I'm open to suggestions
>>
>>47243119

First attack is a normal attack, 1d6, but the target is auto grappled. Each turn the grapple remains, the damage ramps up, so the turn after the grapple is 2d6, then the next turn is 3d6. Picture someone just tearing into a guy with a chainsaw, it's not immediate, but takes a little bit.
>>
>>47243151
A golden cat statue? An actual cat follower? Gonna have to go into more detail about what you mean.

In general, an animal mascot is fine. Prepare for its inevitable demise though.
>>
>>47243174
Oh I like it, only problem is multiattack, might need a way to work that in
>>
>>47243266

Simple enough to add in a one-attack clause. Also, enemies have advantage to break the grapple, unless they are prone, then they have disadvantage to break the grapple.

I was thinking Witch Bolt, but in weapon form.
>>
File: GoldenCat.png (331 KB, 687x871) Image search: [Google]
GoldenCat.png
331 KB, 687x871
>>47243253
>>
>>47243371
It seems fine.

But again, prepare yourself (and your party) for its inevitable demise.
>>
>>47243366
Hmm I don't know, that might complicate things a bit more than needed, plus he's really gonna want his extra attack

I might just make it stacking 1d6 damage up to 4d6 as long as he keeps attacking the same target
>>
>>47243482
Well the only real danger I see is aoe attacks, and I can let the PCs cover the cat as a reaction. Or maybe I'll let the cat use its teleport move as a reaction.
>>
>>47243502
And hitting of course
>>
>>47241138
>How hard is it to find a good game on Roll20?

75% of the games I've joined have been shit. 25% have been good, but flawed. None have been great.

I have 2000 hours logged into Roll20.
>>
What is the best god for a sun soul monk in Forgotten Realms?
>>
>>47243945
Canonically, their order is dedicated to Lathander. In antiquity they worshipped Amaunator (who was kind of god-reincarnated into Lathander after Netheril fell, but they don't have the same personality or anything).

One of the canonical leaders of the order also thought Amaunator wasn't just reborn as Lathander, but his essence was divied up among some other gods as well: Selune and Sune.

If you want to know the BEST god for a dude who shoots fire out of his fists, though: Kossuth
>>
>>47244040
I thought they were canonically devoted to Selune. I only know them from the Enchanced Edition. pls no bully
>>
>>47244040

Interesting. I'm currently playing a Sun Soul Monk in CoS (who will eventually multiclass into a Moon Druid) and going for a sun and moon motif. I suppose he should not have been ignorant of the Morninglord, then.
>>
>>47244111
Different sects of the Order can have their own primary patron, and that may have been the case with whatever group was active in Amn. The largest and most influential of the monasteries was in Waterdeep and was primarily Lathanderite with some "Triune God" leanings towards Selune and Sune.

The leap to Selune from Amaunator is mostly centered around her being a light-based deity, since the rest of her domains have no overlap with Amaunator or Lathander.
>>
>>47244235
>Amaunator or Lathander
Why specify if they're the same god?
>>
>>47240364
the ancestors approve or disapprove of whatever THE FUCK I TELL THEM!
>>
>>47244293
Amaunator no longer exists. He "died" when Netheril fell and most of his worshippers were wiped out. The last vestiges of his powers were (ostensibly) reborn as Lathander, who has a completely different personality.

Amaunator was a NO FUN god of bureaucracy who obsessed over the placement of punctuation in text. Lathander cares about babies and working out and being happy and joyful. Amaunator didn't give a shit about any of that.

Whether or not Amaunator actually is Lathander is something that can be debated. It's believed by a lot of scholars in-universe that it happened that way, but it's also just as likely that Lathander was born out of whole cloth (as gods can be, since FR operates under consensus reality) through the belief of a bunch of misinformed people, or he was a completely separate and mostly powerless entity that stumbled upon some lost Amaunatorian domains and jacked them.
>>
>>47244473
Well shit. Amaunator sounds way more interesting.
>>
>>47244524
Lathander is cool. People only ever talk about his dumb SUN aspect (which is bullshit, because Kossuth is obviously the sun all two or three of them actually if you know your FR cosmology and creation mythos) and tend to ignore the other portions of his portfolio.

They also forget that time he did something the other Good Gods never fucking do: he got off his ass and decided to shake up the entire pantheon to be more to his liking. One assumes this involved killing a lot of Evil guys and pulling other Good or Neutral deities in line with his way of doing things, but the exact events of THE DAWN CATACLYSM are never described since it was mostly a Gods Only affair. Some of the few events that can mostly be traced to it are the death of Murdane, a goddess of pragmatism, whose existence was kind of chafing the whole hope and optimism schtick that Lathander has going on, and Tyche getting split.

Amaunator would never have done something like that, because he's too into RAW.
>>
>>47243814
This is pretty much my experience. Getting games off of 4chan has been closer to 50/50. Then again IRL has been just as bad too.
>>
>>47242601
You can make them all thematically interesting and give them different fighting styles. I assume that all fights will be one-on-one duels against them?
Some examples might be:
>The aggressive swashbuckler who strikes deep wounds with a very precise rapier
>The elvish spell blade who uses magic as he strikes and focuses on disabling his foe with mystical might
>The dual wielder who focuses on parries and counter attacks and has an impenetrable defense
>The harassing bard who taunts them with jests as a vicious mockery cantrip as he strikes at them and criticizes all their actions
>The unstoppable barbarian who uses a sword too large for mortal men and flies into a rage in combat
>The cheater who uses a wicked serrated blade with a treacherous poison
>The opportunist who darts in and out of combat constantly disengaging and forces them to chase him down

There are countless ways to make an interesting swordsman. maybe even step away from player mechanics and give them unique abilities.
>>
I'm gonna run a campaign on a homebrew setting where magic is demanding and casters must succeed on a spellcasting ability save with DC of 5 + spell's level whenever they cast a spell or they get an exhaustion level. What do you think?
>>
>>47245612
Do they get more spells slots or something?

or are you just straight up making spellcasters less fun
>>
>>47243085
A free PDF WotC released converting the plane of Zendikar from M:tG to a campaign world for D&D including playable races and monster stats and suggestions.
>>
>>47245672
and it's official, not a DMsguild done by some random dude like blood magic?
my FLGS would jump on that shit so goddamn hard.
>>
>>47245754
It's semi-official. It's put out on a Wizards site, but the MtG site, not the D&D one, and it's made by a guy on the MtG team. It was published alongside a survey, so it was probably a lunchtime project someone had that he showed to his boss who said "yeah sure, let's try that, maybe people will like it."

It's clearly not balanced like regular D&D content, the races are all pretty strong compared to PHB races.
>>
>>47245612

>have to make a check to play your class properly
>fail the check once, exhaustion
>now you roll the check with disadvantage
>continue to play your class properly
>fail five more saves, which you will because lol disadvantage
>die

cool
>>
>>47245612
I think it'd be better to make it so that whenever they use their last spell slot of any level they gain a level of exhaustion.

That encourages holding on to their best spells, since they'll usually only have one of those, as well as not spamming low-level ones.

Its more interesting than a slim chance of getting a level of exhaustion each time you cast.
>>
>>47245778
>the races are all pretty strong compared to PHB races
I don't actually think I could stop my party from playing shit from it if they found out, now.
They aren't powergamers per se, they just hear stuff is good/fun and immediately want to try it out.
>>
>>47242465
When it's the difference between nine people working to feed themselves and a tenth person vs one person spending 6 seconds a day to feed all ten though? The labour investment for real food would be insane relative to making goodberries.
>>
>>47245778
>the races are all pretty strong compared to PHB races.
Apart from Vampires who're just Tieflings with a worse resistance and a useless ability in place of infernal legacy. Goblins aren't OP either, and humans are just the non-variant PHB ones.
>>
>>47245663
>>47245784
>>47245789
I don't know why are you guys making this such a big deal. Most of the time, only 1 or 2 means failure and 3 for 8 & 9 level spells. And as your level goes up, you can cast lower level spells without worrying about failure.
>>
File: 1421184267219.png (2 MB, 1643x2419) Image search: [Google]
1421184267219.png
2 MB, 1643x2419
Is it me or do fighters not have a lot of survivability at lower levels?

My 6th level fighter gets fucking hit the most out of the party, and the only real shot I have at healing is a good D10 roll and cure wounds from my party. All session yesterday I was barely hanging on.
>>
>>47246114
What's the point?

What does that actually add to the game besides RNG-based annoyance that spellcasters can do nothing about?

protip: if it adds nothing but annoyance and pointless rolls/shit, don't do it. It'll just slog down the game.

I don't think you understand 5e exhaustion either. It's a pretty major thing.

Unless you think disadvantage on all ability checks because you rolled poorly while attempting to cast magic missile isn't a big deal.
>>
>>47246139
what's your AC? my sword and board fighter at level 1 has 18, you can't be touched by shit for several levels.

smart DMs however will instead use save based damage on you
>>
>>47246114
>10-15% chance to gain exhaustion because muh setting
this is not an interesting or fun mechanic, it's just a hamfisted way to make playing a caster more of a chore than it already is
>>
>>47246179
18, i'm in plate w/ GWM, which makes me a bit more 'hit-able' I know, but I was getting fucking run through all night.
>>
>>47246189
your DM was either rolling stupidly well or was fudging his rolls so he could hit you and make you feel like there was some sort of threat.
>>
>>47246189
Are you one of the only frontliners? DM could have just been on a hot streak against you too, 18 AC and fighter hit dice are pretty solid for survivability.
>>
>>47246198
DM might have cranked up the difficulty a bit, but it seemed unusual even for that.

>>47246217
I am the only frontline fighter in our 4-man party. We have two casters, and a ranged rogue.
>>
>>47246231
well that's your party comp + your DM then.

a good DM spreads damage out so everyone is threatened.

there is no real taunt mechanic in DnD. If that bandit decides to go stab the old man in robes instead of the knight in full plate armor, that makes 1000% sense.
>>
>>47246255
It probably doesn't help that she either has us roll for our HP or take the average, but whatever.

Our Wizard's HP is.. really bad.
>>
>>47246267
>rolling for HP

christ, why?
>>
>>47246279
I don't know, i've been taking the average so i'm sitting at 58, but the fucking Wizard is literally at 24 HP.
>>
>>47246267
>roll for our HP or take the average
That choice is what it is RAW. The Wizard should have known not to roll when only 2 out of 6 results would be better than the average for them, but hey, not everyone has the same primary stat as their character.
>>
File: 1460743406070.png (228 KB, 358x408) Image search: [Google]
1460743406070.png
228 KB, 358x408
>>47246304
But... Why on earth would you roll on a d6 instead taking 4? That's just asking to be gimped!
>>
>>47242601
Give them some powers cribbed from 4th edition.
>>
>>47246279
>>47246434
yeah no, why is rolling for HP considered an issue? :/
>>
>>47242601
Make one a Monk Bugbear that is naked and moves incredibly fast
>>
>>47246624
why do it?

meaningless RNG that could totally gimp a character for no reason.

An archaic tradition from a different time
>>
>>47246639
I mean I kind of agree :/ on the same token rolling for higher than average is pretty exciting

the DM in my current campaign decided we'd all get at least the average amount of HP when leveling up, which has been useful for the rogue and wizard, but me, the fighter, has rolled like 4 10's and 9's and I have decent Con, and heavy armor mastery, so I find I rarely go below half.
>>
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/46910/hoard-of-the-dragon-queen

>20 years of murderhoboing
>>
>>47246139
Which subclass? EKs have Shield and other spells, and BMs can use trip / disarm / parry / whatever to reduce incoming damage. Champion is both boring and lacks any real survivability mechanics compared to the other two, consider asking to respec to BM if you're a Champion.
>>
>>47246700
He sounds like an idiot
>>
Is Oathbreaker really that powerful?

Because the fucking Oath Spells look like shit.
>>
Why is Exhaustion such a crippling mechanic? I hardly ever use it, because it's so hard to get rid of and every level is a harsh penalty. If the first couple of levels were milder, I could see it getting a lot more use at my table.

Anybody had any ideas for how to tweak it?
>>
>>47247498
>Why is Exhaustion such a crippling mechanic?
To stop the overpowered Berserker Barbarian.
>>
>>47247498
Add a couple of milder levels and give it out more liberally?
>>
After thinking about it some, I've come to realize that my Halfling dex-based fighter with a Robe of Eyes is a murder peacock.
>>
>>47248042
Interesting. Are you and your party members having fun?
>>
Can I use Minor Illusion to make the image of a 6 foot man, provided I put the cube on its corner?
>>
>>47248710
No, because Minor Illusion can only make an illusory object, not a creature. A 6 foot statue would be fine though, no matter how lifelike, so you could argue it's a moot point.
>>
>>47248710
No, because that's not how cubes work in D&D. Read the spellcasting rules.

But I would totally allow that in my game because that's just good initiative.
>>
>>47246304
That's about average for a low con wizard. Still, your DM should of just gone with average number bump for HP increases at level ups. Rolling will usually end up very badly for squishes.
>>
File: tesdiscussions.png (122 KB, 661x953) Image search: [Google]
tesdiscussions.png
122 KB, 661x953
>>47239619

I was just wondering, is this image the original or an edit?
>>
>>47248801
The spellcasting rules don't seem to say anything about the orientation of the cube relative to the external environment. Is this a dmg thing?
>>
>>47248705
Haven't gotten to play since he got the robe, but it's always been a blast so I don't see why it would change. Plus he just picked up that BM Maneuver that frightens the enemy which I'm going to fluff as him flapping his robe back like a peacock tail. Should be non-stop fun having big, scary monsters run from the Halfling/murder bird.
>>
>>47248869
An edit. It's an old meme that I re-purposed for 5eg.
>>
>>47245612
>>47246114
Casters are faggots but this isn't the way to fix them, and punishing them is dumb.

>>47246184
>chore
>>
>>47246139
No one has survivability at lower levels, but by the time you're 6, you should be OK.

What's your fighting style? Do you use a shield? If you DON'T use a shield and are getting your ass beat, go get one, even if you're a GWM; the first bullet point still works for you.

If you are the only frontliner in your group or the DM seems to be ignoring the other ones in favor of wailing on you (especially if your AC is lower than theirs), you may need to adjust your party tactics. Casters may have to use more disabling spells rather than straight damage, or nuke large clusters of weak enemies instead of disabling one big guy (since the action economy works in a mob's favor). Don't fight encounters where they start, but instead pull enemies to areas where you can control the number of foes who can reach you at any given time (doorways, narrow corridors). Utilize objects in the room or the architecture to provide cover against ranged enemies; if there are many guys shooting, it is occasionally preferrable to eliminate the melee threats, retreat to a range the remainder can't cover in a single movement, drop prone, and return fire.

You gotta play smart as a Fighter because you ain't got anything else.
>>
>>47242601
They have to defeat one of them in battle to even begin to have a chance at mastering one of these maneuvers. And before that they have to track down the wandering swordsman. Basically make your campaign about this. (Watch AfroSamurai for inspiration IMO)
I would have them defeat but not kill in order to gain access to a training mission and then most every one of the PCs could learn it. But then they'd have to deal with the personality and goals of this swordmaster living. Making each successive adventure a harder combination of gathering information about your enemy, preparing counter attacks and planning surprise and advantage until they have a shot at challenging and defeating them. Should they decide to destroy a swordsman maybe one of the more applicable martials will learn a base of the move and have to train it up before they can attempt to teach it to anyone else.
I think the hardest part will be designing the maneuvers themselves. They need to be one move, in line with a magic item effect, legendary action or epic boon in terms of power and something that fits the style of your campaign. (No wushu for instance for some people.)
>>
>>47243371
The drawback of its lucky feature will cause your teammates to have disadvantage. They can use the lucky feature again but depending on your interpretation they would then get super advantage (roll three die and pick the best even though you have disadv) or something wonky idk.
>>
>>47241189
Ok, but how do you control your workers?
>>
>>47246434
I let them roll and if it's worse than average they take average. Gives them an "important" character advancement roll and a slightly higher HP average. Whatever.
>>
File: 1437419971916.jpg (152 KB, 804x708) Image search: [Google]
1437419971916.jpg
152 KB, 804x708
>>47249146
gud poast
>>
>>47246639
Not him, but I have the roll for it, but if they roll lower than the average they take the average. It helps them feel more powerful and allows me to throw more powerful shit at them.
>>
>>47251095
I'd just give them max at that point.
>>
>>47249492
Technically as long as you give them some orders and lock them up so they can't hurt anyone or see living beings, it isn't too much of a stretch to have them continue whatever it is they were doing, as long as you choose the right corpses. From MM:

>Habitual Behaviors. Independent skeletons
temporarily or permanently free ofa master's control
sometimes pantomime actions from their past lives,
their bones echoing the rote behaviors oftheir former
living selves. The skeleton ofa miner might lift a pick
and start chipping away at stone walls. The skeleton of
a guard might strike up a post at a random doorway.
The skeleton ofa dragon might lie down on a pile of
treasure, while the skeleton ofa horse crops grass it
can't eat. Left alone in a ballroom, the skeletons of
nobles might continue an eternally unfinished dance.

So for mindless unskilled labor if you pick your corpses right and keep them secluded, you don't need to retain control over all of them. Maybe just one or two per plantation/compound/whatever for delivery and interacting with people (they are the ones that haul carts of copper to merchants or w/e). It works RAW, although how it works would be up to the DM, lucky for you, you don't need to ask about his opinion.
>>
>>47251313
And free +3 weapons too.
>>
>>47251393
And a ring of wish
>>
>>47251495 #
And an ancient [insert colour here] dragon to ride.
>>
>>47251524
>>47251495
>>47251393
Well, this is how I start out any skyrim playthrough minus >instant max level. so I don't see the problem.
>>
So my warlock is gonna hit level 11 soon. I've been debating on what 6th level spell I should pick up when I hit 11 but I'm stumped. None of them appeal to me to any extent beyond flavor, So I'm thinking of picking up create undead. Is there any 6th level spells with potential I'm overlooking?
>>
File: imgres-1.jpg (10 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
imgres-1.jpg
10 KB, 230x219
>>47251393
>>47251495
>>47251517
>>47251524
>tfw your inept DM insists on not using the default starting kits and only runs broken beginnings without them, resulting in lackluster campaigns
>>
>>47251674
I'm a huge fan of mass suggestion. It's the best spell for making a cult in a city to your patron!

>listen to my presentation about how Grognak the Frightful can enrich your life, and keep an open mind!
>>
>>47251830
I considered that too. The biggest problem is that were in the underdark playing through OotA so Idk how effective it would work in the end of things. But now that I think about it again I'll probably go with it because gathering followers and cultists is one of my characters main goals to eventually ascend to godhood. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>no subclasses with zendikar
Why?
>>
>>47252184
Because Zendikar isn't about the classes.
>>
>>47252285
>what's stoneforge mystic
>what's lithomancer
>what's explorers with fuk huge beasts
>what's other paths that aren't addressed in the PHB
>>
>>47252336
>what's stoneforge mystic
A wizard.
>what's lithomancer
The same thing as a stoneforge mystic
A sorcerer
>what's other paths that aren't addressed in the PHB
Paths that are in SCAG.
>>
>>47251696
I'm not doing default kits for my upcoming campaign

As long as you give the players what they need it's fine
>>
>>47252336
Who in Zendikar are you referring to, exactly? The only iconic explorer I can think of off the top of my head is Jori-En.

I mean, she's pretty fucking cool and all, but that's just armor.
>>
File: setesh guards.jpg (29 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
setesh guards.jpg
29 KB, 500x357
>>47252377
>>what's explorers with fuk huge beasts
>A sorcerer
>>
>>47249090
butt blasted martial detected
>>
>>47252377
>>47252462
>everyone misread beasts as breasts
>myself included

Beastmaster ranger is technically the right answer, even if it isn't very good
>>
>>47252377
>>what's explorers with fuk huge beasts
>A sorcerer

wut
>>
>>47252492
Fuck. I think I speak for everybody who made that mistake when I say I've been on 4chan too long.

And the problem with releasing a huge beasts class is that it'd be really, really difficult to come even remotely close to balancing when they haven't even come close to doing so with regular sized animals. They certainly wouldn't do it for the Zendikar supplement, which has a 'thrown together on a lunch break' feeling. Not really in a bad way, since it's a fun little distraction, but fuckheug monsters isn't something I'd expect from anything but a UA that's been tested over the course of months.
>>
Screw zendikar, how would you do Ravinca?
>>
>>47252544
Shadowrun run in 5e.

It seriously isn't much of a challenge to do Ravnica.
>>
>>47252542
They only way I could see making it work is if you basically played a useless tag-along who rode around on the back of a single large animal.

Basically just re-fluff a Bear Totem Barbarian as an actual bear, and say the actual character is riding on their back.
>>
>>47252544

Ravnica feels really, really 4e.
>>
>>47252637
what do you mean?
>>
In zendikar there were several more or less cheap creatures, usually human, that had as ability pay lots of mana to either put a monster or gain +x/+x, in the art there's always a dude and a pretty big creature next to him, one of them was a pretty big mantis for example

Also, minotaurs, they were a race in zendikar, why aren't they in the supplement?
>>
>>47252658

It's a lot more high power than I feel 5e manages with all it's crazy mages, warrior priests and ghosts being prominent characters/PC options.

That and 4e lets you meld 'I'm a potent warrior' with 'I have some supernatural tricks' better than 5e with the way it's themes/multiclassing works.
>>
>>47252722
20th level 5e characters are pretty powerful (as long as they aren't martials). Maybe adding in a prestige system would help with that though.
>>
>>47252722
I could see that. 4e definitely has hero as the baseline.

The main thing I'd be worried about is utility. Ravnica feels like a plane where most of the adventures should be investigation type stuff where you're solving crimes or spying on people. A system with a bit more utility and focus on those aspects would be preferable.
>>
Does anyone have a better link for SCAG? Mega is cancer and doesn't work well on mobile.
>>
>>47252544
Like a game of D&D only set in Ravnica and with a few extra race and creature stat blocks.
>>
>>47252722
Zendikar is more high power than ravnica and still is 5e
>>
>>47252820

4e doesn't really have any LESS investigation than other D&D systems.

>>47252975

That's more due to 'Current D&D edition' more than it being the most fitting one for it.

I mean...Vampires are a playable (If not great) option in 4e. They are not in 5e. Zendikar vampires are kinda prominent/PC material.
>>
>>47253051
4e does have a pretty strict time-table on how many encounters you're supposed to have per day though, which could throw off the pacing.

I'm not sure any other editions are much better in that department though. Ravnica is in an odd spot.

4e is better off for having an Artificer class though.
>>
>tfw your DM is too good at making waifus
Our married Paladin is like one session away from confessing his love to a particle accelerator
>>
File: genedeitch.png (481 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
genedeitch.png
481 KB, 720x540
>Cross T-rex and hydra for a level 6 boss fight
>Adjust defensive stats to account for the GWM guys and the party being martial anyways.
>Get 6-7 rounds out of it, grapples for everyone
>Graplees have to decide wether to free themself or attack w/ disadvantage
>Those on the ground have to decide who they want to save from the creature's maws
>All the players are near incapacitated by the end

All in all, I'm happy with how it went, probably the first single target boss I'm actually happy with.
>>
>>47253096

I am still so god damn mad about that attempt at a 5e Artificer they teased.

What are the defining traits of Ebberon?

>Very few NPCs of high level
>Lots of low level magical items produced by artificers.

The artificer attempt at a class comes out...and can't make even the most basic magic item until level 18. It kinda failed at both them.
>>
>>47253051
>4e doesn't really have any LESS investigation than other D&D systems
There is no hole deep enough to throw all the faggots who whined about there being no "roleplay" in 4E since enormous skill lists were condensed into. For fuck's sake, 5E is also missing Knowledge (Third Century Cormyr) and Basketweaving skills but you don't see anyone bitching.
>>
>>47253101
Supercollider?

I just met her
>>
>>47252820
What I was thinking about doing was letting characters define connections they have, based on their stats.

So this additional system might let a player with a high con mod have connections of a certain type, and high charisma guarantees connections of another type, etc, etc.

These connections would represent favors or characters that can be called upon to aid the players in session.

Also, I'd like to make it a two way street: the favors the players call in get used up, but the DM can have their connections call on them with tasks and favors, which then give the PCs more favors to call in.
>>
File: face thumbsupdude.gif (481 KB, 141x141) Image search: [Google]
face thumbsupdude.gif
481 KB, 141x141
>>47252444
Sounds neat!
>>
>>47253215
I know what you mean. I was considering playing one for an Eberron game, but I found out I couldn't even do something simple like temporarily enchant ammunition or the like.
>>
>>47253171
It's nowhere near final, have some patience anon
>>
>>47253288

I can still be mad at something managing to be literally the opposite of what it's themes are supposed to be.
>>
>>47252691
The minotaurs in Zendikar are best represented by the MM stats. They're antagonists to the adventurers, not adventurers themselves.
>>
>>47253381
>antagonists
Forgetting about the minotaur allies and minotaur with level up (only PCs level up) aren't we?
>>
>>47253381
Kazuul Warlord is sad that he and Munda can't work together since Minotaurs are monsters only now...
>>
>Be on a 9vs8 fight, taking hours to go through.
>Only 2 big enemies left, party is somewhat hurt.
>Our Monk leaves a few minutes to have dinner.
>Bard says he is going to "fuse" with our Monk.
>Wat.jpg
>He does so DBZ style, combining both their HP's, proficiencies, feats, spells, etc...

I was never told these kind of shenanigans were allowed and I'm just sitting here with a standard wizard.

Honestly, I am slightly mad that they got homebrew shit and I had to convince my DM that wizards do not need to read from their books while casting, so I could cast with my spell casting focus in one hand and my staff on the other one.
>>
>>47253753
One, your DM sounds either unintelligent or like a bit of an ass. Two, you do know your staff is an arcane focus right? Unless you cast a spell that requires a 50 gp pearl or 500 gp ruby dust or something you only need your staff.
>>
>>47253996
Nah, you still need the items.
>>
>>47253996
>>47254092
Nevermind, missed the 'unless'.
>>
>>47254092
No, no you don't

You need either a focus or the materials
RTDM
>>
So, I was wondering; the warrior-wizard is a fairly strong archetype even in D&D, to the point we got our own classic term for it; "Gish".

The basic version, the sword-wielding wizard, got done as the Swordmage back in 4e, and it sort of survives today in the Bladesinger from SCAG (which is basically the Swordmage gone back to its shitty "elves only!" fluff from AD&D).

But, since the DMG contains rules for firearms, I was wondering: maybe I've just been recalling Iron Kingdoms too much, but does anyone think that D&D 5e could pull off a "Gunmage"? A gun-wielding magic-user who uses their weapon as a conduit/focus for magic, whether in the "I shoot fireballs from my pistols" variety or in the "I use magic to do gun fu" variety?

If yes, how do you think it'd work? A new Wizard Tradition? Or a class in its own right?
>>
>>47251696
Default starting kits? Like what?
>>
>>47254173
As much as I hate the gunmage archetype, people seem to really enjoy it.

It's a sorcerer. It's a sorcerer with a pistol as its arcane focus.
>>
File: 1454884264802.gif (18 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1454884264802.gif
18 KB, 125x125
>>47254236
Read >>47251393, >>47251495 and >>47251524
>>
>>47254259
So you were just ironically shitposting?
>>
>>47254109
You're good man. Mistakes happen.
>>
Dear /5eg/,

I'm about to run the 5e starter campaign a group who has never played D&D before but who are excited to play and know vaguely what they are getting into. I have never played D&D either, but have familiarised myself with the basic rules.

What should I take into account as a first time DM for first time players apart from learning the rules and other basics? What are some common pitfalls for new DMs? General DMing tips?

We're all friends and having fun is the priority, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>47254475
Whatever you build, they will smash. They're like autistic toddlers trying to ruin your legos.
>>
>>47253996

I picked a pendant as my spell casting focus and my staff (actually a quarterstaff) as my melee weapon, for background reasons mostly.

And my DM is kinda new (not that I'm an expert or anything), so I expect mistakes every now and then. At least he seems more reasonable now and everyone is pretty much happy with how the game is going.
>>
>>47254625
I have a hard time believing that they'd want to ruin their own fun by sabotaging my storytelling, unless you meant something else.

Do you have bad experiences you want to open up about? I'd be interested to hear them.
>>
>>47254475
You should watch critical role if you haven't already, good example of how to do it right
>>
>>47254706
Some people do that. I've had a player tell me he wanted to punch a rock and that's all he did for a session. But what I mean in a less exaggerated way is: prepare for the worst. Whatever plan you had will NOT survive first contact with the players.
>>
>>47254706
Not that guy but I've been forever DM for the last 6 years and unless you know them all well and know they like toleplaying they will do shit like kill questgivers and ignore plot hooks in order to sow chaos

Mark my words
>>
>>47254724
>>47254756
>>47254760
Thank you for your answers.

Those of you who are/have been DMs, do you remember your first time running a game? How did it go? How have you improved since then?
>>
>>47254756
>>47254760
This is so the truth. My group of friends are basically murderhobos who enjoy sandboxing and role-playing but won't follow a plot line to save their lives. After I gave up dming for a bit a new friend stepped in to DM for us. She has gone on record to tell us that the plot she had planned has been so badly ruined that only a massive time traveling dungeon can apparently fix it. I tried my best to keep them reeled in but in the end players will run the campaign in the direction they desire. Your best bet is to learn how to keep them pacified and bait them to the things they desire in exchange for the plot quests being completed. Even then it might not work but it's the best nonforceful option there is.
>>
>>47246700
>>47246942
kek I was lfg last week and saw that same post, that nigger makes fucking talking in combat cost a bonus action
>>
>>47254816
First thing you want to do is have a 0 session where you explain everything to your players, and establish what everyone wants from the game

if they want to do nothing but be assclowns running from place to place murdering people for inconsequential loot, well then you've got a shit group unless that's all you want to run.

make sure that if you're taking it seriously, they are too. Establish that no, you can't have a half-dragon half-demon prince named Aragorn Legolas Gandalf.

for a first session you want a clear and focused goal with a clear and focused reward.

This guys first couple videos are great for a new DM, his starting scenario thing he describes will be good for a new group :

https://youtu.be/zTD2RZz6mlo
>>
>>47245789

No it's not. You're just giving them less spell slots. It just sucks. Besides, the Wizard can use 2 level 6 spell slots but he can't use Minor Image 4 times without exhausting himself? This is just a shitty idea that makes playing a caster suck for no reason.
>>
>>47246434

Yeah, I rolled when I had a d8 or better but as a Wizard it's not worth risking.
>>
>>47248869

It's funny, I remember so many versions of this comic but I wonder which one is the original. I think the first one I remember really clearly is the old Kingdom Hearts one.
>>
>>47254816
My first session actually went pretty well, it was 3.5 and after a bit of murderhoboing I managed to send them on their way to a dungeon to get a macguffin
>>
Fighter1/Roguex grappler

Level 1 variant human feat: tavern brawler for free grapple
I'm thinking of taking Grappler JUST for the advantage (sneak attack) but the rest of the feat is useless:
>third benefit refers to a nonexistant rule
>second "benefit" lets you use your entire action to restrain yourself and the target, ending up in a less advantageous position than just keeping the grapple

What I want to be able to do is cast create bonfire (a bunch of my party mates also have the spell) and hold a grappled target inside it and drag him through the other ones if my party also casts theirs. Is there any other way to grant myself advantage on attack rolls on my grappled target? Any items? I'll go and look through the adventuring gear section, but if you guys can think of anything else sustainable (not expending spell slots or wasting actions) please let me know.

Alternatively, I'm considering Heavy Armor Master; is that feat actually much good?

Also.
>Block and Tackle
Clever uses for this?
>>
>>47255244
>third benefit refers to a nonexistent rule
which is why they removed it from later printings
>>
>>47255026
>inter-group communication costs actions
>on the internet
>where you can send the guy a whisper
>>
>>47255448
TWENTY YEARS EXPERIENCE
>>
>>47255026
>This means if you are a dual wielder and you have a bonus action to attack with you off hand, but you want to say something, you have to choose.
It's like he's specifically trying to underline how little sense it makes
>>
>>47255448
>>47255470
>>47255546
why does this hobby attract such fucking autistic miserly fucks?
>>
>>47255445
Don't you think that if I'm aware that it refers to a nonexistant rule that I would also be aware that it was a misprint?

That doesn't fix the feat though. That feature (had the rule been implemented) would have made the feat worthwhile. Without it, the rest of the feat is useless for most characters who would take it: fighters/barbs who would just use one of their attacks from extra attack to shove the enemy prone for advantage.

I'm looking for a different way to grant myself sneak attack because literally JUST advantage on grappled target does not merit a feat (maybe if it had half an ASI included).
>>
>>47255574
Obviously you go 3 Fighter to become a Battlemaster and use Trip Attack as your primer for grapple attempts so you can knockdown and grapple in the same turn, having advantage at that point on.
>>
>>47255568
I bet you he plays a caster.
>>
>>47255613
who doesn't? all the good classes have a magic option.

every class in 5e has a magic option
>>
>>47255613
>casting a spell with a somatic component costs your bonus action
>>
>an OD&D game
>BECMI
>shooting for level 36+ by the end
>with 30 players
There can't possibly be people who think this will work
Can there?
>>
>>47255672
BRB vomiting
>>
File: crazy chains.jpg (43 KB, 400x459) Image search: [Google]
crazy chains.jpg
43 KB, 400x459
Speaking of unreasonable need to spend bonus actions: are there any dual wielding builds that are actually good, or at least decent?
>>
>>47255783
Any Rogue or other pure melee class/archetype that doesn't get Extra Attack.
A throwing-based character when your DM is anal about draw actions.
>>
>>47255803
War cleric?
>>
>>47255823
war cleric gets wis mod times per day bonus action attacks so not really, they work best with a 2 handed weapon.

Grab GWM and then when you crit or kill an enemy you get a free bonus action attack + you can take a -5 for a +10 AND you can use guided strike when you do that for a +10 on your roll (which probably means you'll hit)
>>
>>47254173
The basic warrior wizard is Eldritch Knight.
>>
>Arcane Trickster
>Versatile Trickster (lvl 13)
Is it worth using? Seems kinda gimped by requiring bonus action; why didn't they just require adjacency? It already costs a bonus action to control the hand. In my opinion the feature wouldn't be overpowered since the rogue would still need to use his bonus action at least once per enemy he wants to fight to move the hand adjacent to each target. And that's assuming the target doesn't move.

TL;DR
>versatile trickster (pic related)
>use bonus action to grant yourself advantage
>why didn't they just write this feature such that advantage is granted when the hand is adjacent to your target?
>>
>>47255927
Me again.

The feature doesn't even grant advantage to your allies. Am I missing something or was this feature poorly thought-out?
>>
>>47255927
Don't worry about it, no group will reach level 13 anyway.
>>
>>47255927
>>47255943
No, it isn't worth using. Arcane Trickster is just something they threw in to satisfy people who wanted to play an illusionist but didn't want to go Wizard. It's not really all that useful an ability.

>>47255977
Says you, anon. My group just hit 15 from 1st level, and we've been playing solid since 5e released.
>>
>>47255977
I really like some of the higher level class features. Are there any /tg/ roll20 groups that play campaigns and one-offs? It seems like 5eg just shitposts.
>>
>>47255927

You can move the hand and use it in the same bonus action. It lets you get Sneak attack on enemies you normally couldn't get sneak attack on.
>>
>>47256023
>My group just hit 15 from 1st level, and we've been playing solid since 5e released.
Did it take that long to hit level 15? Or have you played multiple campaigns?

>>47256062
Yeah, I'm aware. I specifically asked for justification upon requiring the bonus action even if the hand is already adjacent.
>>
>>47256078
Because the hand just being there isn't distracting, it's your bonus action forcing the hand to slap the enemy's dick around while you are trying to stab them that opens up the sneaks.
>>
>>47256078

It lets you get sneak attack on enemies you couldn't normally get sneak attack on. Like I said in the second part of the post. If you want to Disengage safely afterwards just get the Mobile feat.
>>
>>47256078
They're a very slow group, and we're on the experience system. If every session was a hydra fight it'd probably go faster.
>>
>>47254173
>>47254239
>>47255876
Use matt mercer's gunslinger fighter subclass

from there, take a couple levels of lock or sorcerer or perhaps bard, depends on what you want.

Gunslingers want dex and wis so maybe cleric/ranger/druid?

if you want to be the atypical charismatic gunslinger guy, you can easily do that too by drawing from bard or something.

Now that I talk about it bard gunslinger sounds fucking sweet.
>>
>>47255927
From a glance it still looks more useful than the Assassin's level 13 ability or the Thief's if you're stuck in a game where the GM is stingy on magic items.
>>
>>47256097
Do you really think that if I'm asking for justification for a 13th level subclass feature, that I don't already know the conditions that grant the class's defining feature? I'm well aware that sneak attack is granted for attacks on which the rogue has advantage. desu senpai
>>
>>47256179

That is literally the purpose of the feature. It lets you get sneak attack on targets you wouldn't otherwise be able to sneak attack, particularly something you can't hide from that's isolated from your allies. It's not the worst high level ability. If you want to bitch about something bitch about the Assassin's "infiltration expert" (or w/e) or Potent Cantrips.

Even if you'd have sneak attack always having advantage on your one attack is a pretty good deal, especially vs High AC targets. Arcane Trickster kicks ass.
>>
>>47256159
>more useful than the Assassin's level 13
I actually think that that's pretty handy. The thing is that it would only really be consistently helpful for a rogue who is literally an assassin, playing a singleplayer campaign, and is evil.
>>
>>47256150
Am I an idiot or is Mercer's homebrew shit just in general sort of lackluster? Gunslinger Fighter works imo but it just... it isn't very exciting or flashy.
>>
>>47256220
>Arcane Trickster kicks ass.
Do you have any arcane trickster builds you'd be willing to share? Would be a better contribution to the general than its usual caster/martial bitching.
>>
>>47256285
>polluting your pure martial class with a caster archetype
>>
>>47256285

Pump your Dex, take good spells. I don't have a build specifically but Rogue is a solid base and getting free spells doesn't hurt.

Mobile seems great at around level 10 so you can get out without using Disengage. Magic Initiate is great to give you tons of cantrips. If you're going a melee build definitely pick up Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade. I'd say go full Rogue so you can get 4th levels (including greater invsibility). Melee or Ranged probably both work fine.
>>
What are the regulations for binding a creature in manacles? Could it be done in combat?
>>
>>47256278
It's what I like about his gunslinger/blood hunter.

other homebrew shit is like AT LEVEL 14 YOU GAIN A FLY SPEED TRIPLE YOUR MOVEMENT ALSO YOU CAN WALK THROUGH WALLS AND ARE IMMUNE TO NONMAGIC DAMAGE AND YOU CAN SUMMON A DEMON DRAGON WITH A CR OF 200000 FOR FREE ONCE PER ROUND

gunslinger comes off as something that'd actually be in the PHB. It has solid, focused abilities that lend to a playstyle.

if you want flashy bullshit then I guess it's not for you
>>
>>47256527
Yeah, that's fair.
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it seems like it'd be in the PHB, though. I feel like Mercer actually has a better grasp of balance and usefulness/utility.
desu I haven't really looked into blood hunter too closely. isn't it like some witcher shit?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (236 KB, 1097x774) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
236 KB, 1097x774
>>47256661
one of the blood hunter subclasses is basically a witcher, yea. You get some potions to drink or some shit

otherwise, you can kind of think of it of a sort of vampire hunter paladin Bloodborne sort of thing.

They sacrifice max HP for a number of different effects, and they specialize in fighting some sort of horror (one is undead)

it's free on dmsguild. I have it but it's 2mb too big for /tg/ uploading

if I ever get to play CoS, I will totally try to get my DM to let me be a BH
>>
>>47256370
Not sure if there are any. I'd probably rule that using them on someone takes an action and the creature has to already be grappled/restrained/whatever, and when they're on the creature is restrained.
>>
I'm kind of sick of always waiting on DMs running the games I'd like to play, so I'm thinking of giving it a shot myself. I've been watching some DM videos and thinking about stories I'd like to tell. Anyone have any tips on starting DMs on how to get a group together and keep the game flowing easily? I'll probably post something on Roll20 once I build a bit of confidence.
>>
>>47257408
>Anyone have any tips on starting DMs
First:
> thinking about stories I'd like to tell
Don't think too hard about this in a vacuum. Players will need to have a say in how the story progresses if you hope to keep them for very long.

Choose or come up with a compelling setting that encapsulates themes you like, and then determine a premise for whatever the group does first. The rest will grow from there.

Second: read a lot of short stories. They're good models for a complete arc that can be completed in a handful of hours. You can tie sessions together with running themes, but players (and DMs) get ornery if they feel like every session ends unfinished.

Third, and perhaps most importantly: this is a game. It's supposed to be fun for everybody. Do what you can to ensure the players don't piss eachother off, and don't run the game for longer than you're interested in it. If you're not enthusiastic about what you're doing, it's gonna show.

Best of luck.
>>
>>47254816
Yogscast also has an ongoing 5e stream, their DM is great too.
>>
>>47257408
If you're gonna dm a roll20 session I'll join

https://app.roll20.net/users/1480242/tyler-s

don't worry, I won't judge much
>>
>>47256527
Gunslinger is a Rogue Archetype in any setting that doesn't make guns rare and special.
>>
>>47257408

What time and date?
>>
>>47239657
>not 3rd-party homebrew
You realize that all post-TSR (and most of late-TSR) D&D has just been Gary Gygax fanfic, right? DM's Guild stuff is made by enthusiasts of the hobby that get paid royalties. WotC stuff is made by enthusiasts of the hobby that get paid commissions or wages. That's 99.999% of the difference.
>>
Do you normally give your characters a random trinket at character creation?
>>
>>47258301
Yeah, like a ring of wish or the book of exalted deeds.
>>
>>47257689
more of a fighter thing really.
>>
Is there any good crafting systems for 5e yet?
>>
>>47258301
I allow my players to pick one trinket from the list or make something themselves and swing it my way for approval. Trinkets are great for flavor and RP imo.
>>
>>47256278

I'd prefer to be a battle master who happens to use a gun.
>>
Does this apply to armor? It sounds like it does until the parentheses but the parentheses are so subtle that I can't tell what the intention was.
>>
>>47258702
Armours aren't tools. Tool profiency refers to things like herbalism kit or poisoner's kit.
>>
>>47258702
Pretty sure it only applies to skills and tools. Wouldn't really make a lot of sense if a Rogue took a level in Warlock or the Lightly Armored feat and got medium armor out of it.
>>
>>47258740
Note that later it says that you pick from the proficiencies in the sample backgrounds, so no poisoner's kit.
>>
File: MrBones.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
MrBones.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
I think it's time for a war cleric with a halberd that's been fluffed as a shovel.
>>
So Ive been getting conflicting answers. FIGHTER 1 BLADELOCK X GWF, thrown down Darkness immediately and fuck people up with Devil Sight, how strong is this build?
>>
>>47258917
You could cut it down into an axe, maybe?
>>
Rolling for stats/HP seems a point of contention... So what's everybody's preferred methods?
>>
>>47258869
Is there no background that gives a poisoner's kit?
>>
>>47258941

it's a blade lock so probably worse than Fighter 20.
>>
>>47259017
Nope. Shame because I'd like a ratcatcher background.
>>
>>47258972
A weaponized shovel seems much more like a halberd than an axe to me if only because slashing/stabbing/bashing with it are all good options.
>>
>>47259133
Nah, I meant literally cut the shovel into more of an axe shape.
>>
File: 1450580878982.jpg (39 KB, 375x411) Image search: [Google]
1450580878982.jpg
39 KB, 375x411
>>47258941

why not just be a FIGHTER 20 GWF
>>
>>47259023
Its for Adventure League. Not only do I need to bypass fifty different DRs with my magic weapon but my friend is going to roll a GWF vengadin and die until the Dark Powers guve him blindsense so Ill also be giving him advantage
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.