[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Your party traveling through a forest in the middle of nowhere.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 19
File: image.jpg (213 KB, 1150x671) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
213 KB, 1150x671
>Your party traveling through a forest in the middle of nowhere.
>Suddenly random encounter: dire owl bears.
>You get separated from the rest of the party due to bad OOC tactic planning.
>While trying to fight off the dire owl bear following you, your character gets critically injured and knocked prone.
>Before the owl bear can rip your head off there's a roar and the owl bear is suddenly bathed in (Ice/lightning/fire/acid/etc), killing it instantly.
>Looking up you see an adult (Insert scale color) dragon looking at you.
>The dragon picks you up in its mouth and brings you back to its cave.
>You are put in a nest full of fresh dragon eggs while the dragon falls asleep coiled around the eggs (and you, who stopped bleeding for some reason).
How would you escape with your last D&D low to mid-level character before the dragon's motherly hormones run out?

Also dragon thread.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 450x253
>>
>>47124478
The type of dragon is super fucking important for this scenario.

I treat the scenario where it's a black dragon completely differently from ones in which it's a copper or something.
>>
>>47124805
This. Color/metal is extremely important, to the point where the question is unanswerable without it.
>>
>>47124805
>>47128214
Its in the desert so its either blue or bronze or brass afaik
>>
>>47124478

We need a color, damn it!
>>
>>47128242
The OP said forest in literally the first line. It doesn't describe the lair either so it could be any dragon who normally wouldn't be in a forest but whose lair could be adjacent to one.
>>
Not OP, so let's say Bronze in an effort to salvage the thread. Then controversially what would you do if it was a red dragon.
>>
File: a_winters_tale.png (577 KB, 900x641) Image search: [Google]
a_winters_tale.png
577 KB, 900x641
>>47124478
>How would you escape with your last D&D low to mid-level character before the dragon's motherly hormones run out?

The question is do you want to escape?

You have to ask yourself multiple questions, for example if the eggs will eventually hatch at all. Maybe the dragons knows she can't have any offspring on her own (for whatever reason) and just uses you as an alternative, in that situation you might want to stay because that thing just saved your life. You should at least give her belly rubs or scratch her at that hard to reach location behind her horns.

If she sees you as her son she will protect you and you can use this to your advantage when adventuring. However be a nice son and pay that favor forward by leaving most of the slain enemies for her to eat.

If the dragon is evil (however you find out) and you are just some sort of trophy/food/playmate for her young, you might want to escape. In that case you maybe also want to consider taking an egg with you.

I assume it is rather unlikely that the dragon is going to hurt you since it just fixed you back up but it might not let you leave.
>>
>>47124478
>>You are put in a nest full of fresh dragon eggs while the dragon falls asleep coiled around the eggs (and you, who stopped bleeding for some reason).
>Stopped bleeding for some reason
This concerns me to no end.
>>
My most recent character was a level 3 AD&D human Mage who probably blew all his spell slots in the owlbear encounter. Firstly I look at the GM incredulously because he's never had a dragon in a game before, let alone one who would save your life. Second, I'd try to locate my bag of ingredients and few scrolls for the scroll of Cure light wounds my cleric buddy wrote up for me and see if I can roll above a 2 to get me back to positive health. Third, inspect and respectfully watch over the eggs with the dragon while waiting for my spell slots to refill overnight. In the morning I'll try to exit the cavern search for my companions, if the dragon prevents me from leaving I'll come up with a plan after that.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
Reminds me of this card
>>
I suppose I coup de grace the dragon and make my way back to the party with my bags full of expensive reagents?
>>
>>47129218
Huh. Adult bronze dragons have the create: food/water magic ability. Never knew that.
>>
>>47130475
>Coup de grace a dragon in one turn
>Dealing over 200+ damage on a single turn with a low-mid level character.
>Killing a (probably) bronze dragon that just saved your life.
That Guy detected.
>>
>>47130517
I think coup de grace was instant kill in 2nd. Been a while since I played it.
>>
>>47130553
I think the point here is that the man has no sense of gratitude and would kill you even if you saved his life. That's like a real life example of the Viper and the Farmer tale.
>>
File: image.jpg (202 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202 KB, 750x1334
>>47130553
Okay. Is this 2nd edition?
>>
>>47130475
With what weapon?
>>
>>47129218

Bronze would actually be very sketchy, since while they're not evil they have no problems with forcing a person to talk with them for hours.

The more you talk, the more they'll talk.
>>
>>47130685
So what you're saying is that you('re last character) cannot survive social interaction?
>>
Well, my last character (Level 9 warlock, 5e) would probably try and kill it

If she could is another question entirely

Adult dragon has approx 220 HP, first two eldritch blasts will be automatic crits due to the dragon being unconscious, with a hex first that's a maximum of 84 damage, followed by a greater invisibility as the dragon stirrs/

Now, the dragon doesn't know where she is, cant breathe fire or randomly flail because she'll destroy the eggs, so unless she's willing to abandon the eggs (Which in itself would be worth some gold) she's guaranteed to lose the fight
>>
>>47131108
That's high level.
>>
>>47124478
Sleep it off and wait til the Dragon awakes to see what it wants. It's the polite thing to do under the situation
>>
>>47131108
>HURR DURR MURDER LOLOLOLOLOL
(You)
>>
>>47130583
No, that's 1st edition AD&D (not the Anon you were speaking to).
>>
>>47131197

>max level is 20

No, 9 isn't even heroic tier

>>47131214

>HURR DURR MY SPESHAL SNOWFLAKE MAGICAL GIRL WILL DIPLOMACY THE DRAGON

No.
>>
>>47131307
You're retarded. The dragon saved you, thinking you need some sort of special diplomacy to talk with it is again, retarded. Also, more likely you'd attempt to escape and be forced into a grapple check cause it grabs you as you leave. Dipshit ass mcnugget.
>>
>>47130944

It's major social interaction with a stranger you'd rather not associate with.
>>
>>47131330

>unconscious dragon performing a grapple check

Alright then

>the dragon saved you

No, the dragon killed an owlbear, then picked you up and dragged you off to its nest to be food for its young

If a dragon had the instinct to protect humanity, they'd be watching over towns and cities, not saving random people from owlbears.
>>
>>47131208
Honestly, this. For about 75-90% of my D&D characters.
>>
>>47124478
>D&D
Is Pathfinder ok, senpai?

My current Mer lady is pretty screwed unless she can recover enough to cast another Fins to Legs spell.
Her best bet is her singing to keep the expecting mother asleep and make her escape. Find the river again and make her way back to the agreed on meeting place.

My previous character though was a 5e Brass Dragon-Blooded Sorceress who was rather interested in her heritage.
She knew Draconic and often met with her distant Aunt who was the daughter of her Great-something Grandmother.
Not only could she likely talk her way out of this, this mother dragon may even know her family in which case Sól is now honour-bound to challenge her in a game of wits with the age old draconic tradition of a boast-off.
She'll even choose to ignore the obvious implied insult that she'd be to pitiful to put up a fight when the eggs hatched and out came hungry baby dragons.
>>
>>47131214
You do know you don't actually have to type in the (you), right?
>>
>>47124478
My last group broke up super early due to a hypochondriac attention whore whining that his aggressive, pure-combat int/cha-dump character wasn't being fawned over by the other members of the party who could into social interaction.
A level 1 Ranger would probably realize that, unless there's a gap in the dragon around him he can escape through, his biggest chance of survival is to wait it out and see if she's friendly.

>>47131363
>to be food for its young
You're still alive, and the dragon didn't also or instead take the owlbear (much more food). It's unlikely to be a "hatchling's first kill" sort of thing, considering that nothing about you has been broken, which is what most animals who do that sort of thing do for their young. And even if she's confident a hatchling could do well, they haven't hatched yet, so she's knowingly risking her eggs getting broken.
Hell, you even "stopped bleeding for some reason," so unless wounds inflicted by dire owlbears heal faster than normal, the dragon stopped it herself.

>>47131844
It's shorthand for "here's your (You)"
>>
>>47131363
>No, the dragon killed an owlbear, then picked you up and dragged you off to its nest to be food for its young
Well here's why you're wrong.
>>47124478
>>You are put in a nest full of fresh dragon eggs while the dragon falls asleep coiled around the eggs (and you, who stopped bleeding for some
>Fresh dragon eggs
This implies that they were recently laid less then a day ago. I don't know what you think you know about things hatching from eggs, but generally they take at least a week or two to hatch. Bringing food for the eggs without killing it first (since young ones are extremely delicate and thrashing food can kill one) is not likely.
>>
>>47131108
Have dragons lost their blindsight ability?
Been a while since I played dnd.
>>
>>47131995
I don't think so. Invisibility now gives a set bonus to stealth rolls, so creatures with insane wisdom scores and lots of HD have a hive enough perception to tell if an invisible person is nearby.
>>
>>47131293
Well what's the difference between 1e and 2e.
>>
>>47130617
Unarmed Strike/Improvised Weapon(Rock)
>>
>>47131363
> If a dragon had the instinct to protect humanity, they'd be watching over towns and cities

>not saving random people from owlbears.

>People in towns and cities would be safer then random people lost and exposed being hunted down by Owlbears

Great argument.
>>
>>47132617
So maximum 2d4 damage against the dragon's natural damage resistance?
>>
>>47132591
About 2.71, if I recall my maths correctly.
>>
>>47132644
Perhaps it's like a frog in a boiling pot and it won't awaken until it's dead.
>>
>>47132983
There's a difference between slowly raising a cold-blooded creature's body temperature to lethal levels over the course of an out and stabbing something with tough skin to death.
>>
Surprised nobody said they want to screw the (obviously female) dragon.
>>
File: Dragon Fuckers League.png (241 KB, 500x614) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Fuckers League.png
241 KB, 500x614
>>47134437
She's asleep, anon. That'd just be rude.
>>
>>47124478
Escape? This dragon saved my life and is protecting me while I'm wounded (and stopped the bleeding?). I need to find out how I could possibly repay this dragon for her selfless act. Also last character was a level 4 human paladin of valor.
>>
What would your party's reaction be to finding you under guard by a dragon?
>>
File: Stabilized Spiral Dragon.gif (39 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
Stabilized Spiral Dragon.gif
39 KB, 500x395
There are very few dragons in this dragon thread.
Flight Rising registration is open - lots of cute dragons abound!
>>
File: white-dragon.jpg (57 KB, 640x442) Image search: [Google]
white-dragon.jpg
57 KB, 640x442
I like white dragons. Even though the guide describes them as feral, they end up having human-level intelligence, so I imagine they're just a bit dumb and you could probably talk circles around them and convince them you're their buddy.
>>
>>47124478
I'm a homebrew dragoon class.
I jump attack onto the back, causing critical damage and assuring me an optimal position where it can't strike me, and attack the shit out of the wings on subsequent rounds to prevent flight and ground the bitch. I use a dragonslayer spear, so the task is especially easy.
>>
File: bunsen_burner_dragons.jpg (317 KB, 807x1141) Image search: [Google]
bunsen_burner_dragons.jpg
317 KB, 807x1141
>>47136642
>>
File: fireplace.png (782 KB, 1200x780) Image search: [Google]
fireplace.png
782 KB, 1200x780
>>47136642
>lots of cute dragons abound!
>>
>>47139423
This is kind of sad if they're pretending because they can't actually do it.
>>
File: Transparent.png (547 KB, 800x785) Image search: [Google]
Transparent.png
547 KB, 800x785
>>47141493
They can't do it yet. Wait till they are larger than your house. and watch them burn it down
>>
>>47141493
I like to imagine the one with his head like that is simply igniting it properly.
You always light a Bunsen burner from below.
>>
>>47138018
Why would you attack the dragon that saved your life and presumably healed you?
>>
>>47142078
Because EXP and LOOT is all that matters.
>>
>>47142078
Because why have interesting encounters when you could just murderhobo everything?
>>
>>47142078
Dragoons train specifically to slay dragons. Why do you think they learn to jump so high, take out flying foes, and resist energy attacks?
He fucking hates dragons, it doesn't matter if it saved him. The fact that it produced eggs is reason enough to slay it - the spawn aren't guaranteed to be as benevolent, assuming it actually WAS benevolent.

Honestly, if you're carrying a weapon of dragonslaying, you probably have a good reason for it.
>>
Welp. Thread is dead. See you tomorrow
>>
>>47142489
That doesn't follow. If someone has trained to counter, for example, mages, that doesn't mean that they hate all mages and will instantly kill any they meet. Just that they recognize the threat evil mages pose and train specifically to counter them.
>the spawn aren't guaranteed to be as benevolent
By that logic, literally all children should be killed. Because they might grow up to evil, after all!
>>
File: Dragoon_Trophy.jpg (87 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Dragoon_Trophy.jpg
87 KB, 640x480
>>47142489
Wow, air ride machines are fucking assholes, apparently.
>>
>>47124478
Dragons in D&D (as you specified) are intelligent, reasoning beings that do not mistake humanoids for dragon children or dragon eggs, thus your scenario is impossible unless the dragon is busy today and has no other place to put you.

They're also (by humanoid standards) shitty parents, but since they seem to be a species of massively solitary and individualistic creatures and their young can take care of themselves very quickly this is less of a problem for them.
>>
I prefer dragons to have a more specialized role specific to their setting, rather than being a type of big monster that makes for a good boss fight.

In my current setting, dragons are natural disasters that occur when large chaotic events unfold. Large-scale battles, rebellions, and riots cause a flaming winged beast to appear from the sky, razing everything and turning any land it passes over into unlivable desert before disappearing.

I also like the idea of dragons being spirits representing something, more like fairies than big fiery lizards. Like a guardian spirit of a lake, or an omen of good fortune.
>>
>>47144099
>I prefer dragons to have a more specialized role specific to their setting, rather than being a type of big monster that makes for a good boss fight.
If your GM actually reads the fluff and plays high Int npcs properly there's no reason D&D shouldn't offer that.

>I also like the idea of dragons being spirits representing something, more like fairies than big fiery lizards. Like a guardian spirit of a lake
Use a mist dragon?
>>
>>47132664
It may be sad that I laughed at this. Out loud.

With my wife asleep next to me.

My god, I need better hobbies and humor.
>>
>>47145730
>Use a mist dragon?
Have it suddenly pop up and one shot one of your players.
>>
>>47146542
Yeah, all of that, except any of it at all.
>>
>>47124478
>level 3 gnome druid (CN)
>cast spell to make me look like Dragon egg
>????
>fuck it, maybe I convince the Dragon mother I'm the genetically retarded hatching and stick with her until I die

Being cared for by a Dragon mother ain't so bad.
>>
Is it metallic?

If so, I thank it and offer it something, maybe a service or something like that. If it's bronze I'll talk to it for awhile, any other color and I'm totally safe. Character would probably try to bargain for some sort of magic shit if the dragon is particularly kind

if it's chromatic I run like hell
>>
>>47131363
There are plenty of settings in which dragons DO watch over towns and cities.
And no, the altruistic traits necessary to save another sapient being from an agressive predator in the wild is not on the same tier as spending your life protecting large groups of that sapient lifeform for no reason.
>>
>>47132983
>>47133332
Plus the fact that those experiments were done of frogs with their brains taken out or something similar in nature.
A live, properly functioning frog jumps out of the water well before dying.
>>
>>47124478
Dragons are intelligent most of the time, I'd try diplomacy, helping keep watch on the eggs for a while and an eye on the treasure horde, and hopefully leave on good terms and a vow to never speak of the dragon's lair.

Problem is, my last character was mute and illiterate, so that would be a very difficult concept to get across with only gestures.
>>
>>47141827
>>47139423
>buy two little lizards from pet shop
>after a few months, notice tiny wings starting to grow on their backs
>not only that, but you're sure the larger one is trying to repeat what you say
what do?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1952) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1952
>>47148261
Teach it to love. Also, probably to read.
>>
>>47143705
Anyone can learn magic.
Not anyone can be a dragon.
Dragons are walking natural disasters.
>>
>>47148324
>Anyone can learn magic.
That's highly setting dependent.

>Dragons are walking natural disasters.
Not necessarily, especially not intelligent dragons who can be taught right from wrong.
>>
>>47148261
Reminds me a bit of a freeform I've been playing on and off with a friend in which a naga (anthro scaly upper half, not human upper half) is trying to learn how to speak through mimicry. He currently believes that his "handler"'s boyfriend's name is "Help," since that's how she called out to him when the snake initially grabbed her.
>>
>>47148261
>what do?
"Being an asshole" is not genetically encoded into somebody, even though it seems to happen more often lately.

Since dragons raise other dragons they pass on their behavior, so if you get the chance to raise dragons, you can shape them into whatever you want them to be. If they feel the need to burn something down, buy a small ingot of Tungsten and have them melt it down for you. Tungsten has very high melting point (above 3000°C) so it will take a lot of practice to do so and gives them something to play and train with.
>>
>>47148484
You've never been around *anything* young before, have you? They won't stop at a ingot of fire-immune metal, they'll try it out in other things and very flammable things after a few minutes of failing to ignite or melt the metal ingot. What I would do is cover everything in a fire-resistant coating and have a fire extinguisher in every room along with a residential speinkler system. If I didn't know about the dragon hatchlings when I built my house then I'd still do the fire extinguishers and fire-resistant coatings. Plus, gotta fix the dragons some claw covers so they don't scratch up my floor tiles and countertops. If they're really small then I guess I have a living dragon miniature for D&D night.
>>
>>47148595
Wow, that's... that's fucked up.
>>
>>47148484
Ah, the feeling when the little one finally melts the tungsten. It's like first steps, comfy af
>>
>>47148742
The dragon mini thing? A bit, although if you can get the dragon to not eat the other miniatures, it might have fun.
>>
>>47148742
Which part? I'm pretty sure the dragon mini part was in jest.
>>
>>47146629
lul. You'd get some extra EXP for creativity after I stopped laughing.
>>
>>47149005
EXP from something that isn't murdering all across the countryside? I think you're playing D&D wrong.
>>
File: 1388394110161.jpg (30 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
1388394110161.jpg
30 KB, 500x395
>>47149037
pls no bully
>>
File: 1462210386494.jpg (119 KB, 1001x1024) Image search: [Google]
1462210386494.jpg
119 KB, 1001x1024
>>
>>47148261
Try to act like a good parent and instill moral values in them. I'd also encourage them to start speaking somehow—I guess by just talking around them a bunch?

When I'm at work or class I guess I'd let them read books. I'll have to be careful to censor any material with evil dragons in it until they're old enough to understand that they shouldn't be like that.
>>
>>47149005
>extra EXP
Why? Pity for acting like a retard? The dragon's still alive, and they're doing nothing to fix that.
>>
>>47124478
10/10 troll thread
>>
File: dragonvomit.jpg (119 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
dragonvomit.jpg
119 KB, 600x800
>>47149037
>>
>>47130685
Pretty sure that's Brass dragons.
>>
>>47152558
I'm genuinely interested in how you think it's a troll thread. It's an interesting topic with interesting discussion. It's not inflammatory in any way, and it's not even being shitposted.
>>
>>47154099
It's being shitposted a little
>>
Well my most recent character is a Noble-born Magus, who's on a quest to reclaim her family's rightful lands (Admittedly lands that were stripped from them when her ancestors rebelled against the throne). So not being some bloody foreign barbarian, she engages the dragon in conversation, politely thanks it for saving her life, and inquires regarding directions to the nearest town.
>>
>>47155602
Arguably. But what threads haven't?
>>
>>47157209
Dead ones.
>>
>>47158589
So, what you're saying is, we're only mostly dead?
>>
>>47136642
Not enough designs for me. I'm signed up but finding good color combinations is too tedious and the design pool is rather limited.
>>
>>47142489
Sounds to me like your DM wanted you to have some much-needed character development.
>>
>>47159909
Fair enough. I'm there for the characters, mostly; that is, the part of the community that isn't shit at character design.
>>
>>47159951
You mean people's personal characters or the gods? I like some of the gods a lot, but I'm wary about people's characters. Furries are really bad at character writing most of the time, so there's a lot of shit to sort through.
>>
File: Nepheria Hatchling.png (106 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Nepheria Hatchling.png
106 KB, 350x350
>>47159983
Little of both. Good ones of the first is harder to come by, but there are probably more of them.
I've got a motormouth Fae dragon because I like the idea of someone unused to him getting increasingly perturbed by his rapid, monotone voice and fast, frequent flicking and shifting of his crests and wings.
And this adorable little Spiral whose personality I haven't decided on yet.
>>
Rolled 4, 20 = 24 (2d20)

>>47124478
I roll to seduce the dragon milf
>>
>>47132591
2e tidies up 1e, making it more presentable, and brings some of 1e's supplemental material into the core. It's basically a more accessible version of 1e. However, 2e also does little to advance the game and lacks the raw energy of 1e. It also censored things out of the core, like assassins, half-orcs, demons and devils, so as not to perpetuate the myth that D&D was about devil worship.

Overall though, 2e and 1e are pretty much the same game. Now, once you start adding on all the supplements, 2e starts to get out of control.
>>
>>47159929
>He genuinely believes that character development means going against your character's entire background, personality, and lifelong training because a single dragon was, once, MAYBE being benevolent, possibly with ulterior motive
I'm glad I don't have a game with a disgusting subhuman such as yourself. You don't change your entire person because of a single act of what might be kindness.
>>
>>47163686
>durr fuck character development i want to kill the dragon with my super special custom dragoon class xDD

not the guy(s) you've been arguing with but I'm sure you're your groups that guy
>>
>>47163740
I don't think you know what character development is. Contrary to what happens in movies, people don't suddenly change and actually act opposite of how they've acted for their whole life overnight. Most people are, in fact, rather stubborn about their beliefs, and will justify their actions however they can.

I realize you want to fuck the dragon, anon, but not everyone else has to. Some people just want to get rid of the damn lizards and get on with the more important tasks they were dealing with before being kidnapped.
>>
>>47163686
>You don't change your entire person because of a single act of what might be kindness.
You do if your entire person is literally "dragons are all bad and should be killed". Think for a bloody second, and replace the first word of that sentence with almost fucking anything and see how retarded your "character" is.
>>
>>47163814
It's an extreme simplification of the mindset, I'm not about to write an essay here on his exact motivation and background that spurns his hatred.
Besides, there's an entire order of dragonslayers just like him.
>>
>>47163855
Yeah? And there's entire orders of niggerslayers. If your character is a stubborn fool who doesn't have morals and wants to kill all dragons because dragon #4532 killed his family, he deserves to be eaten whole, and you have the most shallow, /pol/ tier "background" ever.
Unless, of course, it is established that all dragons are bad, but then this whole mindgame wouldn't apply.
>>
>>47163814
If that's literally all that he is, then he's a boring one-dimensional character.
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>47124478
>roll for stealth check to gtfo
>>
>>47163799
That's the thing, anon. Absolute stasis of belief is just as unbelievable as someone instantly changing their view.
>>
>>47163988
There's much more to the character, but why would I talk about shit like that when the only aspect relevant to this thread would be how he'd react to a dragon?
>>47163914
He has plenty of morals, they're just not as cookie-cut into standard alignments. His personal code of ethics varies from topic to topic, as they should with any actual character. And no, dragon #4532 didn't kill his family. He still has plenty of reason to want to get rid of dragons despite the lack of muh revenge, but the motivations are numerous and complex enough that I'm not going to go into detail on it here.
>>47163996
Nobody said anything about absolute stasis. It was merely stated that a single situation like this, which could easily simply be a set-up or a manipulation game, wouldn't really challenge the beliefs of someone who's spent a good chunk of their life despising dragons to the point of training to personally slay them.
>>
>>47124478
>polymorph into a bee
>fly away

nigga please
>>
>>47159180
There's a big difference between mostly dead, and all dead.
>>
>>47124478
My character is fairly non-combat (Conjuration is still a thing, but I prefer to buff/debuff) and also a huge goddamn coward.

They would stay right the fuck there and do anything the dragon wanted until the rest of the party showed up.
>>
>>47164156
There's reasons why I ban Homebrew classes. These arguments are one.
>>
>>47164413
Your games must be soooo fun, anon
>>
>>47164467
I bet your class is a Fighter type, who has light spontaneous spell casting with an animal companion who after 2 levels scales with druid, with full base progression, gets a +2 to a stat of your choice, able to use all weapons, armor, and shields with a STR Mod bonus to AC because "He's trained all his life and now his skin is as strong as iron"/

Thanks for outclassing the Fighter, Ranger, Sorcerer, Monk and Druid.

You're fucking cancer, and you should jump off a bridge. No one cares about your homebrew, and you ARE that "One Guy" who everyone at your table feels sorry for, to the point where they put up with your shit rather then kick you out, because they know deep down you have no other friends, hobbies, or life outside of that D20.
>>
>>47164528
Not even close
>>
>>47164560
You forgot, "BABEEEE!"

Go ahead, then, post your super dragon slaying class.
>>
File: 000.png (93 KB, 1198x1200) Image search: [Google]
000.png
93 KB, 1198x1200
>>47164528
>Dragoon obviously based on FF
>Animal companion
>Shields
>Weapons other than polearms
>Ac bonuses
Holy FUCK this poster is retarded. At least try to be close to accurate with your bait.
>>
>>47164575
Just use google if you wanna play one, newfriend
>>
>>47164607
Was being sarcastic in detailing the class. I really do want to see this Anon's class, now- I can already tell he's a "SUPER SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE!". Homebrew is never balanced. If I want one player to essentially remove three other players spots, then I'd allow it, otherwise, if I want someone who's SUPER fucking good in one area, I'd run RIFTS, but when it comes to these types, if he's not out murderhoboing then the game is no fun. It's supposed to be a group thing, where the players come together as a team to take down something like a dragon, and if you think otherwise, then your GM isn't running your games right for the type of scenario OP presented (Getting your ass kicked by a bug bear, but killing a dragon? Sure, bud, keep dreaming.)
>>
>>47164659
Positioning makes or breaks a battle. Anon mentioned a jump attack, so I'm assuming the dragoon class has a modified jump distance as a main feature of it - which is good for larger enemies, especially ones that are long and quadrupedal. A bugbear is typically tall, but bipedal, so getting on top of it wouldn't really net you any advantage - it can still easily reach upwards to claw the shit out of you. Getting on top of a dragon, however, gets you on the back - where it's incredibly difficult to get at you. If I was the DM, I would rule this as disadvantage for the dragon's attacks, and advantage for the person positioned on its back (and advantage on saves, if the dragon can somehow break its own neck to twist it around for a breath attack I guess)

A dragonslaying weapon, additionally, is functionally almost useless against a bugbear. I'm not positive, but I think that against non-dragons it's basically your average +1 weapon.
So, if you combined a weapon designed to fuck up dragons with that advantageous position, you'd have a pretty fucking decent chance of actually beating the shit out of that dragon - but that actually depends on how old it is, which I don't think was mentioned. An ancient dragon is far more likely to make anyone going at it solo a smear on the ground, but I don't think this would be an ancient one - I'd say that either adult or even young is possible (hey, it's not unheard of for younger folks to start having kids).

Anyways, tl;dr tactics and gear can let you solo shit way above your level if you're smart about what you do and what you take with you (with a bit of dice luck too)
>>
>>47164729
To add on to this: STR is tied to maximum jump height in normal 5e, and it's also tied to Athletics, which is tied to grapples.
If the dude had STR as his main stat (most likely if you're gonna be jumping all over the fucking place like a madman) and athletics (again, pretty likely if you're the type who jumps all over the place), then avoiding the dragon's grapples (made at disadvantage) to remove him from its back would be fairly easy. And keeping hold of his position on the back if it happens to move quickly or harshly would be equally easy, because of that pumped up athletics score.
>>
>>47164823
The dude is capped at 20 STR in 5e and the dragon has at least 28+ strength at adult level (OP specifically said it was an adult dragon).
>>
>>47164862
It's still not that bad. The dragon still has disadvantage (evens out to about -5 mod) on initiating grapples, and the dragoon would have advantage (statistically about +5) against those attempts.

You vastly overestimate the capabilities of a dragon compared to the proper tactics.
>>
>>47164895
And if he took the Lucky feat, then he's even better off.
Similarly if he dipped into rogue so he could apply Expertise to Athletics.
>>
>>47164948
You're pretty good at doing the math, anon. Thank you for it.

I still feel that for the purposes of a game, it should be a group effort (unless, it is One with One). Not a single min-max character.
>>
>>47124478

>Illusiory sounds of minor predators or egg poachers nearby nest.
>slink away as quickly as I can as soon as possible as mother begins destroying nearby foliage as a deterrent or after she gets tired of spamming her breath weapon.
>Also ask Gm about dragons in this setting to determine whether I should steal an egg to sell, considering wis was my dump stat.
>>
>>47165043
Always steal an egg to sell. Or raise, but probably sell.
And if that doesn't work, just let the hatchling loose in the town and see what happens. Probably nothing bad.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.