[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would /tg/ run pic related?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
How would /tg/ run pic related?
>>
>>47090347

In Call of Cthulhu, probably.
>>
>>47090347

I would be tempted to tweak Don't Rest Your Head. But honestly, I don't think there is a game with so much shit mindfucking the players.
>>
Never actually saw Twin Peaks...
>>
Unknown Armies and a cooking book.

Skillchecks would range from making a decent pie to making damn fine coffee.

Unknown armies for when shit will get weird.
>>
>>47090347
Depends. If I'm going for straight up story I'll use Dread for the mechanics. Super simple and easily customizable.
>>
>>47090354
This would work.

I think you could capture some of the flavor and milieu, but I don't think it would play out exactly like the show.
>>
>>47090347
I'm running a campaign right now, and I want to run a surreal murder mystery taking inspiration from Twin Peaks, any ideas?
>>47090417
You absolutely should. It's on US netflix at least, and it's an incredible show, if very slow at first.
>>
>>47090347
First quest, find out what type of wonderful trees those are.......beautiful!
>>
gurps.....
>>
>>47090417
There is a good reason it inspired so many things.

Go watch it now it is only 8 hours or so (first season)

also Strange Days for Unknown armies does wonders at transmitting atmosphere of Twin Peaks.

On another note how good is Wayward Pines at replacing Twin Peaks before the season 3 ?
>>
>>47090801
Well, what are the features and themes that make Twin Peaks distinctive?

I'd say the easiest thing for you to match is the characters. Like the log lady.

What happens if the players follow the log lady home to see what she's all about?
>>
I'd say either Unknown Armies or one of the Gumshoe variants.
>>
>>47090871
>season 1
The fun don't stop there, anon. The first half of season 2 rounds out the arc wonderfully.
>>
>>47090347

Delta Green or UA.
>>
File: way too spooky for me.jpg (71 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
way too spooky for me.jpg
71 KB, 1920x1080
>>47090801
The NPCs should be a little cartoonish. The ones in the show are, on the surface, caricatures of soap opera tropes. Their basic motivations are simple but the situations they find themselves in are complex. In a lot of ways a good deal of cast could be described as naive. Even the villains have something of blissful ignorance. They are so caught up in their schemes and time joyfully malicious.

The other element is unseen horror. Really terrible things can happen in this world but usually they are just out of sight. Marks are left but the cause always manages to elude you. In some ways this preserves the prestige innocence of the onlookers. However they will always be haunted by it, even seduced by it. Strange, tantalising things that promise answers to nagging questions or simple a thrill to help break the boredom, they are waiting for you just in shadows.

Things are wonderful but never, ever safe.
>>
>>47090347
Yes.

>>47090354
I did.

Mage the Ascension works for it as well as Unknown Armies. There was a plugin for Mage somewhere on the net, maybe the Anders archive.
>>
File: owl-cave-map txt.jpg (265 KB, 1024x839) Image search: [Google]
owl-cave-map txt.jpg
265 KB, 1024x839
>>47096682
I totally derped on this reply. What I meant to say was: Twin Peaks is a game about the occult, the weird and detective mysteries. That makes it seem like it fits games like Unknown Armies and Mage the Ascension, but it's important to remember that none of the protagonists of TP had any kind of superhuman powers. So all the magic superpowers are pretty much reserved for the NPCs/antagonists, not the PCs. Additionally, there's no flashy magic, it's all supernatural weirdness, impossible coincidences and uncanny inexplicable events. The occult is very much present, but it cannot be manipulated by the PCs except in very rare circumstances. People are archetypes and embodiments of particular sins or concepts and Twin Peaks brings out the excess in everyone. There are spirits - both malign and benign - but they are not bound by any formal rules of spellcasting such as those found in CoC or Mage. The PCs must be normal people...at first, and since mystery is paramount none of them can be masters of anything occult or even highly informed about anything; PCs need to be virgins in the metaphysical sense. That's why Call of Cthulhu works, because it assumes starting innocence. Magic is also highly dangerous in CoC, just like in the tv show. Spells often fail, work differently from what is described or summon things man was not meant to see. But you'd need to remove the Lovecraftian gods & monsters from CoC. Just replace them with ineffable spirits, demons and various bits of real-world occult esoterica.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.