[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars never stood a chance. Star Trek is far superior. >more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: 1450498726931.jpg (40 KB, 398x505) Image search: [Google]
1450498726931.jpg
40 KB, 398x505
Star Wars never stood a chance. Star Trek is far superior.
>more advanced weapons
>more advanced technology
>more advanced tactics
>>
>>46940045
Better writing

Star Wars is "hey guys look how much of a geek I am!" pleb teir
>>
>>46940045
Well by that metric Dr. Who is a superior show to Star Trek.
>>
File: image.png (713 KB, 1593x5000) Image search: [Google]
image.png
713 KB, 1593x5000
>>46940045
>it's a power level thread
>>
>>46940045
In the time it took Picard to say that sentence, 20 years passed and the Enterprise-D was destroyed.
also
>don't have shields
>>
>>46940045
>blasters and laser canons use plasma
>they have multiple shields
>no space Russians and technobabble
>tech support's response isn't "just restart it"
>>
>>46940344
Well...If we add 2 facts to the Mythos of powerman, this can actually be an useful tool.

Fact 1: Power man is the most powerful man of the universe where he exists as canon.

Fact 2: Power man always exist whenever a universe crossover other universe. Any and all crossovers mean power man is canonically there.

Effect: "Who wins, superman or goku?" "Powerman, as when the crossover between DC and Dragonball happens, he appears in that reality and beat them both."

Etc.
>>
>>46940045
Star Wars ships: Capable of crossing the galaxy in weeks, turbo-laser shots have about the same amount of energy as a small nuclear weapon, they DO have shields, and the Empire can mass produce them with the aid of a galaxy wide economy with millions of inhabited planets and quadrillions of people.
Star Trek ships: require 70 years to get from one side of the galaxy to the other, their main weapons have difficulty cutting through particularly large rocks, their shields fail if someone coughs on them, and the Federation has a few hundred military capable ships at most, combined with crew who are not really military-trained, but rather a collection of intellectuals and philosophers who would waste time arguing about the moral implications of their actions while the empire destroys them all and moves on.

Star Trek is like the shitty weeaboo brother to Star Wars who keeps bragging about how awesome his fanfics are.
>>
>>46940344
Is that fucking Hexxus billowing out of the bulldozer?
>>
>>46940408
Taken at their peak, Star Trek wins easily. I mean, "Star Trek" is pretty broad and includes Q and any number of ultra-powerful energy beings. But even supposing it's the Federation vs. the Galactic Empire joined by the Rebellion, the Federation just goes back in time and ends their shit before it ever began. Or they use their transporters to clone an army of Kirks to beat them all up and sleep with their women. Or they use that super speed concoction to move so fast that everybody else looks like they're frozen in place. Or whatever.

But that's kind of bullshit, because Star Trek shouldn't get an advantage from its inconsistency, and it's not like they ever pulled out all the stops like that on the show(s). So let's look not at peak but at the high end of normal operating level. That should solve things, right? But honestly, I'm not sure what that is for Trek. And which Trek are we talking about, anyway?

I will say that Trek can innovate the fuck out of technology when it needs to, while Star Wars is basically static. So even if Star Wars starts off with a marked advantage, it could ultimately be in some trouble.
>>
File: 1344715945204.jpg (51 KB, 499x700) Image search: [Google]
1344715945204.jpg
51 KB, 499x700
>>46940410
yes
>>
>>46940045
>when a sub 90 IQ attempts to troll
>>
>>46940410
power man couldn't save Fern Gully
>>
>>46940932
Power man wouldn't save fern gully.
>>
>>46940578
Star Trek energy shields can basically stop any normal space weapon and is pretty well ubiquitous on their ships. Even civilian and non-combat ships have weak ones that casually stop micro-meteors and other small collisions.
So that's a pretty big advantage there right off the bat. Phasers are a step above lasers, but Star Wars lasers are pretty fantastical. Star Trek has functionally infinite power on their ships, but Star Wars never really gives a shit about power either way.
>>
>>46941065
Actually, now that I think about it, most Star Wars weapons aren't really lasers. They're "blasters", which use some kind of pseudo-plasma and can be directed at weird angles after being projected from their guns.
So it might actually be on par with phasers.
>>
File: 1413891936226-1.jpg (114 KB, 1024x766) Image search: [Google]
1413891936226-1.jpg
114 KB, 1024x766
>>46940344
>defeating Jackie Chan who don't want no trouble

fucking bullshit
>>
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crusher

Just send this into the 11 most important systems of the federation while a fuck huge fleet of star destroyers distracts them, then the Klingons/Borg can do the rest.
>>
Y'know back in my day, arguing on the internet about whether the Enterprise could defeat the Millennium Falcon was the memetic "most pathetic thing you could do." You didn't have to bring permavirginity or mom's basement into it, that was just assumed by the fact that you were arguing over which two fictional starships from two separate fictional universes with no real basis for comparison was better than the other.

When did that change?
>>
File: interdictor.jpg (92 KB, 842x433) Image search: [Google]
interdictor.jpg
92 KB, 842x433
I'll take the bait!

Federation loses. Why?
The Empire may have less diverse ships, but the ones they do have do their job to a ludicrous degree.
Take pic related for example. The Interdictor Star Destroyer would fucking cripple Federation Fleets. The Gravity Well it produces can pull ships out of Warp, and prevent them from even using their warp engines during combat. Forcing the Federation to rely solely on Impulse Power for maneuvering would be like taking a land whale off their scooter. Not only would the Federation ships be essentially flying through mud, but they couldn't escape either.
I'm not saying the Interdictor would win the war for the Empire, but it would make naval encounters a fucking nightmare for the Federation, to the point where the actual Imperial Star Destroyers would face little challenge from the Federation ships
>>
>>46941161
>muh ladder and babby

Deal with it, pleb! He beats all when any crossover happens!
>>
>>46941180
If it was a Star Trek episode, that would work once or twice (On "important" systems that were never mentioned before or since) and then they'd develop some kind of containment or countermeasure technobabble that gets deployed to whatever ships are around.
>>46941225
The Federation doesn't fight in warp. There's a reason why micro-warping behind an enemy ship and blasting its ass is a special maneuver that got named after the guy who first did it. It's not standard or easy.
>>
>>46941131
Most space weapons are legitimately lasers.
>>
>>46941204
More pathetic things came into existence. A quick glance into /r9k/ could probably illustrate that better than any amount of words could.
>>
>>46941131

At least if you're talking small arms, I don't think so:

A blaster hitting a normal human will often throw them back and kill them.

A phaser at full power shooting at someone usually disintegrates them instantly.
>>
>>46941204
I don't see much arguing here. This is mostly rational discussion, even if the topic is inane and pointless.
>>
>>46940403
This is basically the deamonbane clause, isn't it?
>>
>>46940063
At least it doesn't have so many plotholes that even the plotholes have plotholes.
>>
>>46940578
>Taken at their peak, Star Trek wins easily. I mean, "Star Trek" is pretty broad and includes Q and any number of ultra-powerful energy beings. But even supposing it's the Federation vs. the Galactic Empire joined by the Rebellion, the Federation just goes back in time and ends their shit before it ever began.
IIRC the future Fedetation have a division whose purpose is to unfuck the timeline when someone pulls the time travel card, so no.
>>
File: Storm Troopers getting shot.jpg (85 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
Storm Troopers getting shot.jpg
85 KB, 900x750
>>46941259
>Federation doesn't fight in warp
Then I may very well be misinformed, as I was operating under the knowledge that the used partial warp speed to improved their ship's speed and maneuvering in combat situations. Shows what I know I guess, but everything else about my post still stands!

And I think I'll eat even more delicious bait!

Ground combat would be a joke for the Empire! The Federation has displayed no mechanized defense forces, nor any other sort of ground warfare beyond infantry! Stormtroopers get a bum rap, but they are super good against anyone without plot armor. And there are a lot of them.
It barely needs saying, but the Phaser may have a few neat functions, akin to an expensive garden hose nozzle, but such versatility comes at the cost of raw firepower, which the standard issue E-11 blaster rifle has in spades. The E-11 is a gun and it wants you to know it in the loudest way possible. It blows holes in armor, walls, and people. The Paser can only compete on its higher power levels, which rapidly drain its batteries. The Phaser Rifle may stand more of a chance, but both it and its handheld version are hindered by their slow firing rates, compared to the E-11's rapid to single fire capabilities.
Also, AT-AT's would go a long way in capturing any ground target the Federation has that the Empire wants.
>>
>>46941471
>comes at the cost of raw firepower
Phasers can literally disintegrate armored targets.
They don't have mechanized forces because one guy with a phaser can melt a tank with one hand tied behind his back.
AT-ATs go down to a single shot from a lone gunman using a weapon that he can hide in his back pocket.
It's really not a contest on the ground.
>>
something that's often forgotten is just how effective the Empire is at total war
in this case the combination of incredibly fast FTL with ships that are individually capable of sterilizing a planet and in general the sheer numbers advantage the Empire has they can essentially ignore the Federation's ships and start glassing planets from orbit and keep doing that until they issued an unconditional surrender
And given the Empire is led by a god damn Sith lord this sort of tactic would not be out of character for them.
>>
>>46941522
how come they dont just send space dudes out with phasers then
>>
>>46941529
That is basically the Empire's only real advantage, and it is a pretty big one. Their FTL can get their ship really, really close to a planet, while the Federation needs to warp to the edge of a system and then impulse in.

>>46941548
Because they're using ship sized phasers instead and ship shields also stop transporters from crossing over, so boarding doesn't work most of the time.
>>
File: TIE Fighter Poster.jpg (151 KB, 554x738) Image search: [Google]
TIE Fighter Poster.jpg
151 KB, 554x738
>>46941471
And hell! Why not make one more grab at the bait!

The only field on which the Federation would be evenly matched, or even have a certain edge, would be in the small ship combat. TIE Fighters are garbage, and quite frankly rely on swarm tactics and the old adage, "The best armor is not getting hit"
This is nearly impossible when pitting TIE Fighters against the Federation's shuttle craft and two man fighters as they are exceptionally accurate. While it would be one hell of a dogfight, The Federation's small ships would simple be outnumbered and lose from drowning in TIE Fighters. Seeing as how this is all guess work, I can only guess that for every one Shuttle Craft, you would need 8 or so TIE Fighters.
>>
>>46941561
But the empire also needs to use specific spacelanes and would need time to scout them out so they don't accidentally cream themselves on a warp shadow or whatever they call it.
>>
>>46941588
Empire has small fighter class ships with FTL capable drives which they can use for scouting
and given the sheer size of the Empire's economy and manpower base sacrificing a few thousand of them to accurately map the Federation's planetary systems would be considered an acceptable loss.
And once again: led by a Sith lord, casually throwing away lives is not an issue.
>>
>>46941255
But if there is no crossover, Power Man is powerless!
>>
>>46941601
The problem is that the Federation will quickly figure it out and know exactly where to park to block them.
And then you're actually fighting against phasers and torpedoes. We'll assume that star wars and star trek shields both actually function as they're supposed to, it's still not going to be a walk in the park, and one tactic I could see working would be to knock out imperial shields and then transport their now defenseless bridge crew directly into a Federation prison cell.
>>
>>46941522
Then why can't a phaser melt through rocks and debris that often times trap our intrepid Federation Heroes?
I have seen multiple instances of them saying, "It's usless, the phaser just can't cut through it"
Or "It won't cut through it in time"
Implying that a surplus of armor would indeed have an impact on whether the phaser is usless or not. Armor that the AT-AT has out the fucking ass.
>>
>>46940344
I'm not sure what relivance plowing equestria has in thay comic other then being wish fulfillment, not against just question the reason
>>
>>46940045
Star Trek has more consistency
Star Wars has better highs, but when it sucks ass, it really does.
>>
>>46941643
The disintegrate setting uses a lot of power and is often too strong to be used as a tool. Trying to take out some rocks might cause a total cave collapse.
Disintegrate has always completely obliterated whatever it hits at the molecular level. There's not even dust left over.
>>
>>46941634
Transporters can't penetrate or even function if there's even so much as electrical disturbances in the area.
Seriously, Dr. McCoy was right to not trust those things. They're buggy as fuck, and don't work half the time.
>>
>>46941634
I don't know exactly what the size is on a typical Federation ship bridge but I doubt it'll be sufficient to contain the entirety of an Imperial Star Destroyer's command staff
After all there's a pretty god damn massive size difference between the ships.
And given just how many ships the Empire has at its disposal and how fast their FTL drive is we could be looking at them successfully glassing several hundred planets within weeks if necessary.
If this doesn't immediately cause the Federation to go to peace talks at the very least the dramatic loss in infrastructure will hamper their combat abilities.
>>
>>46940045
Hey isn't there already a board for cancerous meme threads based on film and television?
>>
>>46940317
Fuck, you're dumb. Dr. Who sucks. It's a fucking children's show compared to Star Trek.
>>
>>46941670
They're used to kidnap people off of unshielded ships all the time.
We have to assume that Star Wars shields function the same way or there's literally no contest.
>>46941673
Brig, not bridge. Star trek ships have thousands of crewmembers. If there really are too many to hold in the brig, then transport them to a shuttlebay with the entire security staff and hit them with dozens of wide-angle stuns at the same time. Same effect, slightly more effort.
Also, the Federation would likely start looking at their own ultimate options if the Empire is glassing planets willy nilly. Stuff like black hole generators directly onto the capital.
>>
I like star wars more but I must admit star trek ultimately has better tec and bigger guns ultimately, but star wars is ironically more consistent for its lack of relistic grounding
>>
File: Trooper.jpg (1 MB, 1268x1600) Image search: [Google]
Trooper.jpg
1 MB, 1268x1600
>>46941666
Yeah but how much of a thing is disintegrated? The equivalent to a person? A large bolder? It would not be able to disintegrate an entire AT-AT purely based on a matter of mass and volume.
Not only that, disintegration is a thing in Star Wars, so it's easily assumed that any super tank like the AT-AT would be made out a material that is immune or has resistance to that sort of attack.
You can't win anon. Star Wars is the superior on all fronts except TIE Fighters.
>>
>>46941703
true enough but the problem would be reaching those options fast enough and delivering them widespread enough to match the destruction the Empire would inflict
I mean after every facility and major city on a planet has been destroyed there's not much point in destroying it any further, for the remainder of the war that planet is now virtually useless.
A single star destroyer is sufficient to do this to a planet and the empire has a massive number of them
sure the federation could engage their own ultimate option and turn a few planets into black holes or heck stars, but the issue would be in the time they inflicted that on a single world the empire has depopulated 50 of theirs
>>
>>46941728
And even Force Awakens fixed them up
>>
>>46941728
It wouldn't need to disintegrate the entire AT-AT when it can disintegrate one of its knees.
If the AT-AT was made out of a material that could prevent it from being molecularly disbonded, then there would be literally no way to take one down ( Or create one, actually, but that's beside the point.). Yet they're taken down by a rope and some heavy fire from lasers.
>>
Are they comparable?

Sci-Fi recontextualizes contemporary issues. Star Wars has tackled religion, the Cold War, the ethics around computers/AI, and many other issues.

Star Wars on the other hand is a pretty meh hero's journey. Basically a fantasy story with a sci-fi setting. (It's also very obviously derivative - Flash Gordon tossed in a blender with Dambusters and Kurosawa samurai flicks, but that's neither here nor there.)
>>
>>46941728

Disintegrating a boulder (or person)-sized chunk of an AT-ATs leg would be remarkably effective, but that's mostly because the AT-AT is horribly designed.
>>
>>46941756
You're assuming that the Empire can quickly deploy that many Star Destroyers to that many planets with no opposition whatsoever. The Federation likes to be hippy peaceful, but they're fully capable and willing to blow the shit out of their enemies at the drop of a hat.

If you want to get real crazy, we could say that the Q help the federation and give them one of those guns that creates supernovas wherever it's pointed, but that would be just as pointless.
>>
>>46941795
yeh once you bring Q into it the Federation wins hard
but deploying Star Destroyers is not nearly as difficult as you'd imagine it'd be given that due to their type of FTL travel times are virtually negligible
>>
>>46941707
>star wars is ironically more consistent for its lack of relistic grounding
What do you mean by that? That it operates under an unspoken premise of "don't think about it too hard"? And the people who do think about it too hard end up inventing obstacle courses around black holes and FTL ratings that increase asymptotically with lower numbers, in a futile attempt to make sense of the movies' nonsense tech babble?
>>
>>46941820
They're not virtually negligible when they have to scout out every little bit of space first so they don't flatten themselves against a shadow.
They'd have to fight more often than not, and they're not so powerful that they can just win outright.
>>
>>46941790
>>46941666
>>46941643
>>46941522
So why have the good guys OR the enemies NEVER EVER EVER shot at a crate that the enemies are hiding behind on disintegrate to shoot at the guy on the other side, even if there's only one enemy?

It's not like they can't just beam down MORE phasers or even just pack spares. And if the guy shoots you you're dead, that's the end of it.

Phasers can disintegrate unarmoured people but have barely been shown to do anything to rocks or dense materials like body armour. It takes several seconds constant fire to disintegrate rock faces. You aren't going to land that on anyone unless they're already stationary.
>>
>>46940344
the only thing i'm getting from this is that the only one capable of standing toe to toe with powerman is Brock Lesnar
>>
>>46941835
>they're not so powerful that they can just win outright
That's a mighty big assumption. That's like saying biplanes can fight modern day jet fighters because they're "not so powerful they can just win outright".

There's also these little things called probe droids, which also travel at lightspeed and can be launched en masse to scout hundreds of planets all at once.
>>
File: 1438139256260.jpg (39 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
1438139256260.jpg
39 KB, 500x329
>>46940045
>>
>>46940045
>They don't even have shields!
Spoken by someone who is a complete retard. Their shields are also strongest near the bridge fiy.
>>
>60+ posts later
>still zero relevance to /tg/
Why don't the mods do their fucking jobs?
>>
File: Raiding the Rebel Scum.jpg (736 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Raiding the Rebel Scum.jpg
736 KB, 1200x1200
>>46941703
Star Wars shields are much more powerful than Star Trek shields because Star Wars shields go up against Star Wars ships.
Federation Ship Phasers would have to be cranked up to maximum and threaten to explode just to be on par with a Star Destroyer's Turbo Lasers. Otherwise the Federation's ships would be essentially trying to blow up a tank with a fire hose.
given that, the Empire also jams transmissions. Who knows what the fuck that'll do to Teleporters other than make them non fucking functional.
>>46941662
>Star Trek has more consistency
Hey how's that galactic warp speed limit thing doing so warp space doesn't go fucking nuclear?
>>46941634
Federation wouldn't be able to stop the Tsunami that is the Empire with the sandbags that are its ships.
>>46941707
>better tech
>bigger guns
I disagree with you, but respect your point of view. Just know that sleekness of design does not equate efficiency of function.
>>
File: ohKyle3.png (1 MB, 505x1212) Image search: [Google]
ohKyle3.png
1 MB, 505x1212
>>46941820
>>46941795
Q is not an effective argument because it is likely the Q who caused the confrontation in the first place.
>>
>>46940045
Shit bait, shit thread.
>>
>>46941854
And get noticed en masse.
>>46941869
Now THOSE are some mighty big assumptions.
Jamming comms does nothing to transporters. Lasers are a technology that most races in Trek have abandoned for being shit compared to Phasers.
>>
>>46941634
>one tactic I could see working would be to knock out imperial shields and then transport their now defenseless bridge crew directly into a Federation prison cell.

When has that EVER been used in the show?

About twice, when someone literally stole the command codes for a ship.

If it were so easy to knock out shields why aren't they hacking EVERYONE'S shields to teleport their crew over?

PROTIP: YOU HAVE TO LOWER YOUR OWN SHIELDS TO TRANSPORT PEOPLE IN AND OUT
PROTIP: LOWERING YOUR SHIELDS IN A FIREFIGHT WILL LEAVE YOU AS A SMOKING WRECK
>>
>>46941643
>Why does metal melt at a lower temperature than stone?
>>
>>46941921
You can knock out shields by shooting them.
But you're right about needing to lower your own shields.
>>
>>46941909
>Lasers are a technology that most races in Trek have abandoned for being shit compared to Phasers
That's why star wars uses turbolasers, which exhibit as much likeness to lasers as phasers do to lasers, ie practically nothing at all.

>And get noticed en masse.

What's the federation going to do, sprout 20 fleets out its ass to protect all of those worlds at once? The federation doesn't even HAVE a couple of hundred ships.
>>
>>46941909
>Turbo lasers are actually lasers
Apparently you know nothing! They just call them Turbo Lasers because it sounds cool.
And jamming comms, MIGHT do something, because there is the possibility they may also jam sensors! Sensors that would be able to get coordinates!
And if your going to make assumptions in a debate of which fictional army is going to win in a fight, it may as well be some big, thick, and out of control assumptions!
>>
>>46941953
> The federation doesn't even HAVE a couple of hundred ships.
The federation has thousands of ships, depending on the era. They're just spread really fucking thin most of the time. And they have ground installations.
The klingons couldn't kill them despite being ruthless, the Romulans couldn't kill them despite having cloaking tech and instakill weapons, the fucking Borg couldn't kill them despite being immune to everything they could throw at them.
I doubt the Empire could just waltz in and win instantly.
>>
>>46941065
>Star Trek energy shields can basically stop any normal space weapon and is pretty well ubiquitous on their ships.
So basically what you're saying is that the Star Wars crew would need a single elite agent to get inside the Star Trek's crew's ship and destroy it from within?

Gee, where could they ever find someone like that...
>>
>>46941989
Big, thick, out of control assumptions means that swarms of quantum torpedoes smash right through everything and hit the Star Destroyers right on their bridges.
Or the protagonist captain and some redshirts sneak in and kill the Emperor.
>>
>>46941839
power man is brock lesnar
>>
>>46942011
Get inside how, exactly? Really, the exact same thing can happen in reverse. T
>>
>>46940045
Please someone post the stats of the slave one which are far better than the entire enterprise E
>>
>>46942032
Or the star destroyer that has the density of smoke?
Let's be real, all this nonsense is people throwing words and numbers around without thinking about what they mean. Which is also why it's dumb to start comparing those words and numbers.
>>
File: wacko.jpg (13 KB, 589x334) Image search: [Google]
wacko.jpg
13 KB, 589x334
>Teal'c, if these fucking Trekkies keep posting I'm gonna lose it
>>
>>46941684
The difference between the two shows is that dr. Who is still running where as Stark Trek original got canceled after 3 seasons.
>>
>>46941992
>Klingons were forced to sue for peace when they could no longer support themselves
>Romulans were never able to form a good enough keikaku before their government had another powerstruggle
>Borg got killed by future Space Tyrant and psychopathic monster Janeway who brought back future technology

Instant winning? No. Steam Rolling? yes.
Federation ships will literally be shaken apart from the inside out by the impacts of Turbo Lasers exploding on their shields.
>>
>>46941992
>thousands of ships
So, let's see. Let's be generous and say 9000 ships.

Let's lowball the number of probe droids and say 200 of them.

So assuming you're going to use your entire fleet to do nothing but sit around and guard planets with, that's 45 ships per planet.

The empire can throw a million or more ships or whatever bullshit number that's in the technical manuals at them. This is the people with the industrial manufacturing capability where a small trading operation was able to make a moon sized battlestation. And there was another one made IN SECRET in a few years.
>>
>>46942046
Not saying you're wrong in that this is silly, but when a single small ship is faster, stringer and sturdier, with better weapons and shields that the best federation vessel ever, well. Was star wars made by people who don't know shit? Yes, but the numbers are the numbers
>>
>>46942072
> impacts of Turbo Lasers exploding on their shields
>their energy shields
>their projected energy shields
I don't think you understand how shields work in either setting.
>>
>>46942075
If they throw that many at the Feds, then their own rebels wipe the floor with them even faster.
>>46942076
The numbers are inconsistent and rarely show what you're describing in either direction. There are numbers that show a Star Destroyer as being beaten by a modern prop plane with a single AA missile. There are also numbers that show feddie weapons as being able to crack planets at half-power. Neither of these sets of numbers are reliable.
>>
Huurre durre durr
Furty-kay kan beat both
Durr
>>
File: For You.png (579 KB, 662x662) Image search: [Google]
For You.png
579 KB, 662x662
>>46942014
Damn straight.
Like how those quantum torpedoes will only do good until they run out of them, and that the empire always has more Star Destroyers.
Or that the Emperor totally sensed they assassination ahead of time and let himself be killed so he could awaken in a more youthful clone body.

Unless the Emperor is your Husbandu, in which case,

There is no Mercy
>>
>>46942076
The numbers don't mean anything if people didn't think about them. The numbers also say that the Millenium Falcon goes "point five past light speed" which would make it take dozens of millennia to cross the galaxy.
>>
>>46942130
Don't forget about the random godlike beings that are floating around near Feddie space. One wrong target and suddenly your entire fleet is standing on a planet being given a stern talking to by a glowy space squid in his bathrobe.
>>
>>46942093
I know that when the Federation ships get hit with ANYTHING, their ships shake, and if they shake hard enough, panels, wires, and sparks all fly about like they're held in place by nothing but good intentions.

I think YOU don't know how absolute shit Star Trek shields are at stopping any sort of blast or shockwave.
>>
>>46942167
A directed energy weapon isn't a blast or shockwave. It's a beam. Turbolasers do not explode in their target's direction.
>>
>>46942027
Yeah, but in the Star Trek universe, every third farmboy isn't a mystical expert at infiltrating and exploding enemy installations.
>>
>>46942156
It's strange how the godlike beings never once intervened in any of the conflicts except with a few tiny individual ships. Almost as if they didn't goddamn care about any of it.
>>
>>46942156
That space squid in his bathrobe could really be from either series based on the description alone, I think.
>>
>>46942192
But every member of Section 31, most members of Star Fleet Intelligence and many members of Star Fleet Security are.
>>46942200
They give a damn when you start trying to glass their planets.
>>
>>46942190
So how come phaser fire makes bridge panels explode and kill the operators while the shields are up?

Is it because the bridge panels are designed to do that, or is it that they're high energy power shunts that blow out due to directed energy weapons to stop the ship blowing up or something?
>>
>>46940045

>Star Wars has no shields

Wut
>>
>>46942221
How come the death star had a hole directly from its unshielded surface all the way down to its enriched explodium reactor and nobody thought to put a grate over it?
How come two guys with no identification (one of whom doesn't meet the standardized height requirement for his supposed unit) were allowed to leave an unsecured enemy vessel with a VIP prisoner and nobody thought to check them out until they got to the prison section?
>>
>>46940045
Anyone have a link to that site where that guy was wanking over how much better he thought Star Wars was, including "The Federation bombs a landing pad with TIEs on it and send ground teams to mop up. SURPRISE, IT WAS A CLEVER RUSE ALL ALONG! Those TIEs were actually wooden decoys, and the real ones emerge with some speeder bikes to completely stomp the Fed ground forces."
>>
>>46942270
>>46942221
Exactly. The answer to both is "storytelling convenience".
>>
>>46942270
>grate
Trying to put a grate over an exhaust tube for something that fires planet destroying superlasers sounds like you're going to get either
a: a melted grate
b: a blown up death star due to lack of heat venting

Honestly the question you should be asking is how come the proton torpedoes didn't blow up when they hit the exhaust port.

>two guys with no identification
Same reason the stormtroopers missed - they had put tracking bugs on it and wanted to see where the rebel base was, duh.
>>
File: poster.jpg (218 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
poster.jpg
218 KB, 533x800
>>46942190
You've never seen the movies apparently!
If you had you'd remember the first fucking scene of A New Hope and how the blasts from the Star Destroyer where flashing (EXPLODING) against the Tantive IV's shields! Exactly what would happen in a fight between a Federation ship and a Star Destroyer, except that the interior machinery of a Federation ship is held together with fucking silly putty and duct tape!

Those explosions would rock the Federation ship into the sweet sleep of a flaming explosive death as the ship falls apart from the constant bombardment! And that's assuming the shields stay up during the entire thing, which if they don't, will only cause the Federation ship to become space trash even faster!
>>
>>46942326
>heat venting
Why does the death star use convection heat solutions in a vacuum?
>>
>>46942154
.5 of what, though?
>>
>>46942352
The Federation's shields don't hold up well against the equally powerful weapons of their setting. The empire's silly little laser wouldn't be able to do shit against it and wouldn't even warrant a little jiggle after hitting the shields. Then the feddies would return fire with a quantum torpedo or three, which is enough to destroy a borg ship, something dense enough to literally ram planets and come out the other side.
Two can play at this stupid game.
>>
>>46942352
You mean the movies where a star destroyer literally blew up after hitting an asteroid field?
>>
>>46942361
Well, some writers later on came up with a system where the FTL speed of a hyperdrive was calculated as some constant divided by the drive's rating, so a lower rating would mean a faster ship. 0.5 was supposed to be the Falcon's rating, then.
But it's pretty obvious that that's an after-the-fact attempt at making sense of a line that nobody wasted any real thought on.
Same with the line about doing the Kessel run in so and so many parsecs, which they explained as something with black holes and plotting efficient courses and whatnot. As opposed to someone slapping science sounding words together.
>>
>>46942420
>borg ship, something dense enough to literally ram planets and come out the other side.

See, you're pulling things out of your ass.

At least >>46942352 was able to quote a scene from the movie where you can see the explosions happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHfLyMAHrQE#t=2m27s

No quotes at all on google for "borg cube ramming planet".
>>
>>46942493
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_hGOFukMQ
Judging by what happens to this super star destroyer after it gets shot by a few fighter sized guns and then rammed by what is, let's face it, a very light impact to a protruding bit, I don't think they're really a threat to anything except themselves and ships of similar construction.
>>
>>46942420
The game was made for two to play
Read the thread fag master, Turbo Lasers are only called that because it's a catchy name that all the kids love to say.
What they actually is concentrated plasma packed so densely and fired with such force that they can literally pulverize asteroids the size of small freighters, which your limp dick Federation Phasers can't even fucking do if an entire fucking planet full of innocent life forms depended on it. Probably because Phasers can't cut through rocks or even basic metals without shitting out their batteries.
>>46942488
No one ever said ramming into the enemy ship wasn't an effective strategy. Just look at the Jem'Hadar
And that was in Empire Strikes Back, not a New Hope.
>>
>>46942555
Whoops, quoted the wrong anon. Meant >>46942470
this guy.
>>
File: neeerds.jpg (23 KB, 300x265) Image search: [Google]
neeerds.jpg
23 KB, 300x265
>Posting a powelevel thread
>Posting in a powerlevel thread
>>
>>46942545
You're missing the context.

>Admiral Ackbar; "concentrate all fire on that super star destroyer!"

>five minutes later of THE ENTIRE REBEL FLEET firing at point blank range

>two fighter manage to get through the damaged shields, take out the shield generators
>one more fighter hits the bridge
>the pilot rams the ship into the death star like an idiot

At know the source materials, divot.
>>
File: Capture.png (763 KB, 776x547) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
763 KB, 776x547
>>46942093
Actually I dont think you understand how shields work my friend.
>>
>>46942545
>>46942545
The Super Star Destroyed had been tanking fire from the entire Rebel Fleet all fucking day, and as I said here, >>46942555
Ramming is not a bad strategy, if you can do it right.
Problem is for Federation Ships, Star Destroyers are heavily armored so they can take one or two ships careening into them, unless the enemy ship his them juuuuuust right.
Like that asteroid and A-Wing.
>>46942628
Better than drugs and sex.
>>
>>46940045
>>more advanced weapons
>>more advanced technology
>>more advanced tactics

Star Trek is also placed in the future.
Star Wars is placed in the past.
>>
File: Capture.png (675 KB, 738x551) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
675 KB, 738x551
>>46942167
>>
>>46940045
That shift between the TNG and the Dominion War uniforms if setting my autism ablaze here. What, couldn't the fucker have found a picture from TNG?
>>
>>46942555
Phasers use directed nadion particle beams that are generated by passing plasma through an emitter. So they can generate plasma and then use that plasma to make something better. If plasma was, itself, better, they'd just use it directly.
The writers have consistently said that they can't actually use the correct power of phasers on the show or it would be a boring shitfest of phaser beams solving all problems.
>>46942648
The super star destroyer only had one visible point of damage, and that was right where a tiny little A-wing hit it. If it's made of cardboard under its shields, then it's not going to threaten a damn thing except other cardboard ships.

>>46942647
Even better. Your turbolaser pushes the federation ship a bit. Whoop dee doo.

>>46942628
>He says by posting in a powerlevel thread
>>
>>46942711
I like to believe that there's a department of Starfleet that is dedicated to spending as much leftover budget as they can on new uniforms so the fleet doesn't lose their unspent budget next year.
>>
>>46942712
>The writers have consistently said that they can't actually use the correct power of phasers on the show or it would be a boring shitfest of phaser beams solving all problems.
That seems weird. Why make that the "correct" power of their fictional nadion particles, then? They could make up any power they want.
>>
>>46942712
SO! It took several minutes of point blank fire for the shields to fail, where the movie panned over to where crack rebel pilots took the killing blow at the bridge deflectors and then the bridge itself, and you couldn't see where the smaller amounts of damage was on the 19km long starship because the movie zoomed out to see the ship crash.

Why are you constantly trying to misrepresent facts?
>>
>>46940045
>they don't even have shields

Nice to know you don't know shit about SW.
>>
>>46942669
>more advanced weapons
>more advanced tactics
More ass pulls and inconsistency too.
I again bring up their Warp Speed Limit so that Warp Space doesn't go cablooey.
Also, their tactics are comparably to Imperial British naval galleon warfare, whereas Star Wars is WW2 and up. Get rekt with your old ass tactics.
>>
>>46942749
It zoomed in just fine on the perfectly intact surface (00:05-00:08, 00:16-00:17, 00:26-00:27) just before they blew up its bridge with a single banzai fighter. Also, there wasn't any large scale damages on its zoomed out appearance. There wasn't even scratches on its smooth surface as it started to tilt and fall, nor any disruptions in its gribblies.
>>
>>46940045
For me, the better argument recognizes the time differential. To illustrate it; let's pit the Enterprise versus some 40k warship. The latter wins because it's '40k', because their spacefaring civilization and their technology have been around for 40,000 years and have had 40,000 years to get all that much more overwhelming and terrifying.

Now compare it to Star Wars. The Republic alone lasted for two thousand years, and spacefaring technology has existed for aeons before that. For contrast, how far into the future is Star Trek? Two hundred years or so? No contest.
>>
>>46942772
Warp speed has never been consistent. The TOS era uses a linear equation, while TNG uses an exponential one. Warp 3 in TOS is exactly three times as fast as warp 1. Warp 3 in TNG is closer to six times as fast as warp 1. They've redefined their shit and disproven the supposed speed limit.
>>
>>46940045
Didn't get your fill yesterday?
>>
File: 1444791666445.jpg (98 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
1444791666445.jpg
98 KB, 1162x850
>mfw warsies think they're hot shit when the Clone Wars proves their ships would be threatened by a modern nuclear arsenal due to their sub megaton attacks
>>
>>46942825
Ok, so somehow a really good shot took out the bridge, not damaging the rest of the ship, then the ship powerdived into the fucking death star, blowing it up.

That's not going to help much considering most of the time there won't be a death star around for it to smash into.
>>
>>46941838
Because ST is horribly written. Every other episode they pull out some godlike gizmo out of their ass only to forget about it the next day.
>>
>>46940045
Star Wars
>Better ships.
>More fun.
>Has stories about more than one faction.
>Better games.
>Better FTL
>Better aliens.
>The Force
>Better ground units. (Armored soldiers, tanks, walkers, etc.)
>Droids.
>>
>>46942998
I wonder how many tons that rebel symbol paint weighs. It's a huge surface to have to paint.
>>
>>46942998
Better music too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjt6QIkEytM
>>46943043
Nothing, everything is weightless in space :^)
>>
>>46943043
>implying that's paint
>implying it's not just a few holoprojectors being waved about by droids because droid labour is cheaper than using that much paint that's not Star Destroyer White (which is actually kind of grey)
>>
File: 1456114356121.jpg (13 KB, 310x326) Image search: [Google]
1456114356121.jpg
13 KB, 310x326
>>46940045

Old and shit bait.
>>
>>46942825
The reason the small ship was able to bypass the shields for the banzai attack is because they essentially use their own shields to create a protective layer to slip through the enemy shield wall. Anything unshielded would be vaporized.

Even the asteroids that pummeled the Star Destroyers in Ep. V had been weakening the shields for a long damn time according to the novelization, and that the asteroid that took out the bridge was also partially vaped by the remaining shields.

Which by the way, is way more realistic than:
>we got hit
>we still has % shields!
>stuff explodes anyway, because reasons
>we still has % shields!
>people still get thrown about, because reasons
>we still has % shields!
>we win

And why don't they ever need to recharge that shit? If your shields ever collapse, it's because your Science Fantasy (because ST is NOT Science Fiction) vessel has literally run out of energy.
>>
The Culture wins.
>>
>>46943117
>If your shields ever collapse, it's because your vessel has literally run out of energy.
Not really. Could just as well be your shield generator's frabzenium conduit overheating.
>>
File: 1402994527731.jpg (463 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1402994527731.jpg
463 KB, 800x600
Sup guys heard you were having a universe power level debate can I join in the wanking?
>>
>>46943775
Fuck off, cybran, you were underpowered.
>>
>>46941769
Assuming you meant star trek in the first paragraph

Read some of the EU. The star wars films are awful comparatively.
>>
>>46940045
Huh, I must have imagined the shield generators star destroyers canonically have.
>>
>>46944080
>Read some of the EU.
Why bother with the fanfiction?
>>
>>46944873
Why bother watching Star Wars if you could just watch WW2 or Kurosawa movies?
>>
>>46941316
Blasters are effectively particle beams.
>>
>>46941522
>at-ats go down to a single shot from a lone gunman using a weapon he can hide in his back pocket
fucking lel, vehicle mounted blasters don't even scratch it and generally Star Wars weapons have a far higher energy output

Enjoy seeing redshirts get stomped into red paste brah
>>
File: Getter Emperor.jpg (295 KB, 1200x860) Image search: [Google]
Getter Emperor.jpg
295 KB, 1200x860
/m/ wins.
>>
>>46940045
Star Trek technology is way more fucking advanced than Star Wars, so they definitely have the edge.

That being said, Star Wars has MUCH bigger warships. Like, unnecessarily huge, so it still might take a while.
>>
>>46940045
I know this is bait and all, and I want to be upset about it not really, but the one thing that really bothers me about that image is that whichever idiot made it misspelled lasers.
>>
>>46942488
I still say the whole "12 parsecs" line makes far more sense as Han just trying to bullshit the locals into paying him more. He just said some shit that he knew would sound impressive to someone who didn't know any better (and Luke definitely gave off a massive "I don't know any better." vibe).
>>
>>46942950
>That's not going to help much considering most of the time there won't be a death star around for it to smash into.
Please, the galaxy is littered with the fucking things. You can't go ten feet without bumping into a Death Something-or-Other these days.
>>
>>46946237
Why not bullshit them with something that stands to at least basic knowledge of the terminology, though? Shouldn't be hard, considering that he flies spaceships for a living.
>>
>>46940344
Going off-thread here, but I actually like Powerman now.
>>
>>46940045
Bummer that nobody cares who would win in a fight since one of the franchises have Vader, Stormtroopers, hilarious aliens and spaaaaaccceeee doooooggfiiiiight, while the other one has boring looking flight attendants with flashlights, running around in a ship that feels like the inside of a 90s cruise ship.

Star Trek is for nerds who like to feel smarter than other nerds and spaz out whenever normal people enjoy the same thing as them.

>Omg, star wars is popular now, I must retreat to star trek and learn more klingon!
>>
>>46946491
Except he actually could have completed the trip in a shorter distance. Hyperspace is weird like that.
>>
>>46946714
That's a different writer trying to make sense of the movie's nonsense.
>>
Oh boy, the Trek fans escaped their containment thread on /tv/
>star wars
cross the galaxy in a matter of days, to a matter of hours depending on route
>federation
cross the galaxy in 70 years with the fastest vessel

>star wars
swat asteroids out of the sky, blow up entire planets with destructive firepower alone (no technobabble shenanigans like red matter)
>federation
enterprise D spends an entire episode looking for a way to move an asteroid out of its dangerous course

>star wars
construct a 900km death star in a couple years, imperial fleet consists of thousands of star destroyers and hundreds of thousands of smaller vessels
>federation
federation has maybe a couple hundred capital ships until the dominion war demands they be able to manufacture mass quantites for bad CGI battles

>star wars
empire consists of millions of planets covering like half the galaxy
>federation
consists of like 300 member planets

>star wars
civilization has been spacefaring for over a thousand generations
>federation
has been spacefaring for 300 years

its not even a comparison

also turbolasers are not lasers
>move massively slower than light
>visible outside their direction of travel
>create appreciable recoil when fired, also strike targets with appreciable momentum
>cause damage explosively, not thermally

referring to weapons, turbo'laser' is essentially a slang term like 'lightspeed' isnt actually the speed of light
>>
>>46946491
There's a pretty simple explanation that could work if you really want to believe that he wasn't just making up something impressive, and that's that he cut corners and took riskier, but shorter paths to go from point a to point b. So he literally did it in less space (By using less detours) and less time.
>>
>>46940045
The lasers are plasma bolts, and sometimes they do have shields. More importantly, >>46940050
>>
>>46940063
Unless they're referencing Dune or Kurosawa, then it's about the same.
>>
>>46942488
I like that FTL system. Results in straight well mapped routes that allow a ship to go from the edge of the galaxy to the core in minutes making planets near that route extremely valuable and worth fighting over, while still having backwater systems that take weeks or months to reach simply because of how "turbulent" that region of space is. Then there's the great unknown that takes hundreds to thousands of years to map out because how dangerous it is for them to fly without knowing if they'll hit something that only exists in hyperspace, resulting in many a scout ship going splat.
>>
File: 5FMTHTo.jpg (195 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
5FMTHTo.jpg
195 KB, 1200x900
>>46940045

If you're a faggot and have way too much time on your hands, here's a website of a guy who went very in depth on the Wars/Trek power level wanking debacle.

>http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/

It is biased towards Star Wars, fair warning.
>>
>>46940063
That's also Star Trek though.

I mean come on if you think of yourself as a science fiction fan, and express this by dressing up in a starfleet uniform, that's a sign of plebeian taste and probably stunted development.
>>
The Q can literally just remove SW from existence.

I think they win.
Interestingly enough Wesley is a Q. So Wil Wheaton is the end all be all of /tg/ power levels.
>>
>>46940045
Federation tech is more advanced in general. Transporter, replicators, and holodecks are all things that would look like magic to Star Wars characters, and hand phasers are obviously superior to blaster rifles. But hyperdrive is much faster than warp, and the Empire has vastly greater resources as a result of ruling an entire galaxy.

In a limited engagement the Starfleet would outclass the Imperial forces. But in a full scale war the Empire would easily win by overwhelming numbers, and superior mobility.
>>
File: Vlad the Implier.jpg (30 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Vlad the Implier.jpg
30 KB, 400x400
>>46940045
>more advanced weapons
>more advanced tactics

>Star Destroyers not having shields and far superior firepower.
>>
COULD SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY PEREGRINE FIGHTERS ARE EVEN A THING. HOW DOES HAVING CARRIERS AND FIGHTERS MAKE SENSE IN A SETTING WHEN THE MOST BASIC WEAPON IS A HIGHLY ACCURATE HIGH YIELD DIRECTED ENERGY BEAM.

AND IM SORRY FOR YELLING, EYES ARE SCREWED UP AND I NEED TO SEE WHAT IM TYPING.
>>
>>46941259
>they'd develop some kind of containment or countermeasure technobabble

"Captain! I believe I can modulate the plasma regulators feeding the warp coils at the same frequency as the enemy's own power grid! That should produce a inverse gravometric field counteracting the artificial gravity well produced by their ship!"

>>46941471
>partial warp speed to improved their ship's speed and maneuvering

They do use low level subspace fields to reduce the ship's mass and counter inertia. That's part of their "impulse drive". However, it works in gravity wells so the Interdictor probably wouldn't affect it.
>>
>>46946237
The original script has something like "Obi-Wan rolls his eyes at Han's obvious bullshit".
>>
>>46948210
DOGFIGHTS ARE COOL. THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT.
SORRY ABOUT YOUR EYES BRO, HOPE THEY FEEL BETTER. MAYBE GET SOME REST AND SEE A DOCTOR IF IT PERSISTS.
>>
>>46942015
Whelp, that's the new canon.
>>
File: Doctors Who.jpg (245 KB, 810x1243) Image search: [Google]
Doctors Who.jpg
245 KB, 810x1243
>>46942067
Doctor Who is still running in much the same way that Star Trek is, since the latter is still releasing movies. I don't think you can go off the air for more than 15 years, then start a new show with all different people, and claim to be the same thing. That's not dissing Doctor Who, which I have enjoyed much of (even if some periods of it have been downright painful), but let's get real. Also, I shouldn't have to say this, but popularity does not equal quality.

>>46941684
I think the other anon's point was simply shit simply being more powerful doesn't make something better unless you're an eleven-year-old who thinks Dragon Ball Z is the coolest thing ever. Also, running for as long as it has (in both installments, but particularly the whopping 26 seasons of the classic series), Doctor Who has varied quite a bit over the years. Though I guess if we're talking retarded levels of power, it's new Who that's the topic of conversation.
>>
>>46947999

Horseshit. Wesley is not a Q. Maybe in your boylove fever dreams, but not in any canon ever.
>>
>>46948048

Lost Legacy had the duplicator. Lando had an entire holographic theme park. (If we have to stick to movies, I guess those are out, but I suppose there's still dejarik).

Transporters are a clear win, though a 45k kilometer range is kinda meh when it still takes 70 years to cross the galaxy.
>>
>>46943117
if ST is science fantasy, as you say, then SW is science high fantasy
>>
>>46949191

> First
> Weak

no u
>>
>>46946774
Flying closer to the black hole clusters, and all. It's an after the fact justification, but one I legitimately like.
>>
>>46940045
>Sir! Our attempt to beam over has been blocked by their shields, their hull, and our teleporter malfunctioning like it does every episode!
>>
>>46940344
This needs to be updated to account for One Punch Man.
>>
>>46949191
>7th doctor
>weak
what the fuck is this
>>
File: BaitHammer40K.jpg (168 KB, 1016x970) Image search: [Google]
BaitHammer40K.jpg
168 KB, 1016x970
>>46940045
>>
>>46946491
> Why not bullshit them with something that stands to at least basic knowledge of the terminology, though?
Because he's Han fucking Solo, he's not gonna sit there and come up with a well-reasoned, fact-based pitch. He's gonna throw out the first bit of bluffery that comes to mind, and just roll with it from there.

Han Solo is the archetypal fast-talking, quick-thinking scoundrel, exactly the last character that you would expect to think things through before doing something.
>>
>>46948252
>"Captain! I believe I can modulate the plasma regulators feeding the warp coils at the same frequency as the enemy's own power grid! That should produce a inverse gravometric field counteracting the artificial gravity well produced by their ship!"
Then some guy in a robe wiggles his fingers, and suddenly the plasma regulators and warp coils are ripped apart into tiny little pieces.

How much of each universe are we accepting as canon? 'Cuz I seem to recall some force-users literally dragging giant ships down from space and crashing them to the ground.

Seriously, if you're gonna start with Star Trek's hand-wavy magical tech, it's just as easy to throw in Star Wars's literal hand-wavy magic.
>>
>>46950707

Force Unleashed is canon, so that shit happened.
>>
The Imperium of Mankind casually obliterates both of them on its way to face its real opponents - the Dalek Empire and the Culture.
>>
>>46949337
*Traveler.

Same thing just about.
>>
>>46950977

And the IoM is casually obliterated in the crossfire between those two going at it, I assume?
>>
File: 1457734105142.jpg (102 KB, 606x469) Image search: [Google]
1457734105142.jpg
102 KB, 606x469
>>46949838
>implying Power Man isn't an even shittier drawn One Punch Man
>implying Power Man turning the power level autist into a manly adonis isn't the glorious effects of OPM's training routine
>>
>>46940045
The only thing a Star Trek vs Anything thread is good for is demonstrating just how shit tier Star Trek is for sci-fi.

It has less internal consistency than a toddler recounting their week.

Honestly, Star Trek should not even be considered sci-fi, since it has less consistent science than even fucking Star Wars the space opera.
>>
>>46948048
Don't forget that Star Wars' megastructures, power systems, and planetary shields would look like magic to Star Trek as well. It's not a case of medieval Europe vs modern Europe - they're both extremely advanced, but in different ways.
>>
>>46949536
Dude was constantly tripping over his lines. Granted, there were reasons for this (failing health and a tight schedule where you often had to stick with a take even if it was imperfect), but I can only judge him on his performance. He always seemed like a guy who was acting, which is exactly what you want to avoid. However, I like the idea of the character, and Hartnell does have his moments, so I could easily see upgrading him to solid or strong if conditions were better (less rushed schedule, no arteriosclerosis).

>>46950009
Sylvester McCoy, on the other hand, was just bad--easily the worst Doctor. Granted, Doctor Who was generally awful by then, and he can't be blamed for the quality of the stories, but that's honestly the only reason I didn't create a category below weak especially for him. He lacked any sort of charisma and completely failed to pull off the role. I even have trouble listening to his audio stuff, in comparison to Colin Baker, who really shines there (giving easily the best performance, though he's weighed down a bit by an incarnation of the Doctor who is not my favorite, even after being tweaked a bit).

Also, I'm conflicted about Smith. I slapped together this graphic early maybe midway through his reign, and while he had already been demoted from the "brilliant" I would've given him at the beginning, I'm tempted to downgrade him further still considering how badly the 11th Doctor wore on me towards the end. A lot of that just comes down to the writing, but it can be kind of hard to completely separate that, and the fact that his particular shtick was getting tired is certainly not a point in his favor (if he were absolutely brilliant, maybe he could've shined despite it).
>>
>>46951139

Star Trek is drama exploring the human condition told through a sci fi lens. The tech serves the plot, not the other way around.
>>
File: eve online tempest.jpg (94 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
eve online tempest.jpg
94 KB, 1280x800
>be Tempest from Eve Online
>out inna space, shooting nameless space cultists for money
>suddenly a ship with "NCC-1701" on the side arrives
>it's like a cruiser, looks kinda Amarr-ish.
>whatever, no bounty and it's not locking me.
>nameless space cultists shift their attention away from me
>beams of red light everywhere
>Piss poor shielding and lasers? Yep, that's amarr alright.
>tiny amarr ship disintegrates
>back to muh bounties
>another one shows up
>"NCC-1701 A"
>it's a little bigger
>history repeats
>again.
>and again.
>and again.
>fuckers get bigger and tougher with each new letter. Is this some rapid prototyping?
>space cultists are gone now
>Suddenly a big triangular ship shows up, and it's the size of a capital
>oh fuck me
>tiny Amarr ship is now sporting the letter E and is the size of a hefty battlecruiser
>the Amarr ship engages the flying pyramid instead of me.
>both are firing tiny ass lasers and the occasional wimpy missile
>this is going to take fucking forever for one of them to blow up
>curious as to how each one would react to endless salvos of my 80,000kg lead shells but my cargo hold is full of loot so fuck it
>warp away
>mfw none of the other battleships believe me
>>
>>46951065
OPM's training routine just makes you bald.
>>
File: 1371102132127.jpg (114 KB, 1093x747) Image search: [Google]
1371102132127.jpg
114 KB, 1093x747
>>46940045
>thinking star trek beats star wars
>even arguing when 40k beats them both
>>
>>46952487
>even arguing when 40k beats them both
And The Culture beats 40k. So what?
>>
>>46942200
except when they do intervene...and wipe the enemies from existence... which happened and the feds had no memory or record of the enemy species because of the god poof
>>
>>46953006

Culture are AI.
AI is weak to warp.
40k wins :^)
>>
>>46953484
>Super-intelligent AIs operating a fleet of self-replicating death stars.
>Driven mad by chaos, loosing all moral restraint.

40k doesn't win that. Everybody looses.
>>
>>46946769
>faster travel
not after voyager gets back, new slipstream tech, new borg transwarp innovations

>swat asteriods
except in the movie where it clearly shows star destroyer get pawned by one

>better construction
eh...star wars always had this "lets make it bigger" stupid feel. why commit the resources to a death star when you can make 10000000 more star destroyers? literally like 100+ per planet

ill grant you the planet count (even though they dont actually use anything or anyone from those planets) where as the fed can still call on each planets defense force

>turbolasers are not lasers
except the wookiepedia says they are.

star wars also has alot of "plot convenience" when it comes to weapon range and power and what it can do
>>
>>46946769
>star wars
>swat asteroids out of the sky, blow up entire planets with destructive firepower alone (no technobabble shenanigans like red matter)
>federation
>enterprise D spends an entire episode looking for a way to move an asteroid out of its dangerous course
Asteroids aren't uniform objects. Without knowing the mass and velocity of the asteroids involved, it's a meaningless comparison.
>>
>>46941452
that is kinda true.
>>
>>46949838
Power Man IS One Punch Man. The anime and the shitty mspaint comic are literally making the same joke.
>>
>>46940045
Star Trek is Sci-fi
Star Wars is a laser light show Fantasy
Why are we comparing two totally different things?
>>
>>46954309
That comic is funnier than the shitty anime, tho.
>>
>>46955036
The quality of the telling doesn't change the joke
>>
>>46940408
Buttmad Force Babby detected.
>>
File: thisthread.png (436 KB, 436x436) Image search: [Google]
thisthread.png
436 KB, 436x436
>>
>>46953619
40k loses when left alone. The entire setting is shitty things happening to loads of people.
>>
File: more advanced you say.jpg (207 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
more advanced you say.jpg
207 KB, 1920x1080
>>46940045
>more advamced
I mean if we're basing it on that...
>>
>>46940344

He needs to be careful of "Better- Man" whos super power is being able to beat Power-man in anything he does but Better-man loses to everyone else in everthing.
>>
>>46942360
because forced convection and later discharge are the only ways you can operate anything in space that has those huge energies involved, without having radiators the size of planets.
>>
just sayin, would love to see how federation deals with the black wing virus, sentient zombie virus that fucks their shit up. possibly the worst thing the empire concocted in a star destroyer
>>
>>46957258
N O N C A N O N
O
N
C
A
N
O
N
>>
>>46943117
>startrek is not science fiction
StarTrek is the most science fiction-y science fiction that ever was. for fucks sake.
A huge part of the technologies described in the show actually fucking happened already.
Fucking hell man

Also things explode constantly, because federation starship engineers are cunts, and wire the bridge consoles, and everything else, directly into the superhighenergy plasma conduits of the ship.
So when the fuses there blow due to mechanical damage and the consoles are active, it's a fucking huge explosion.
It's like wiring a laptop directly into the output of a nuclear powerplant, with just a single transformer in between, which is integrated into the laptop.
Except it's worse, because if a plasma conduit ruptures, the line has to be sealed somewhere else, otherwise it's going to keep burning.

Yes, this might be as retarded as can be, but it doesn't actually say anything about the combat capabilities of the shields.
>>
or better yet, what happens when a super star destroyer unleashes a full barrage of its broadside batteries and turbo lasers on the federation ships, the fed ships don't move that fast at impulse, or the fact of the many different ways the empire uses psychic assassins, (inquisitors) to fuck peoples days up before they even engage in open battle
>>
>>46942998
>Has stories about more than one faction
HAHAAHAHA....
the EU is noncanon fampai deal with it.
>>
>>46957385
But a lot of NuCanon is from the Imperial standpoint, with Vader, Tarkin, Lords of the Sith, and most of Lost Stars taking place in the Empire
>>
File: 1458254381242.png (136 KB, 457x512) Image search: [Google]
1458254381242.png
136 KB, 457x512
>>46952236
>mfw the wandering sleepers could easily become the Borg
>>
>>46946769
>cross the galaxy in a matter of days, to a matter of hours depending on route
yeah. and you can go through whole sectors in a matter of parsecs!
(Don't give me the 'but actually it's just a shortcut for a longer course' bullshit. It was a mistake.)
>swat asteroids out of the sky, blow up entire planets with destructive firepower alone (no technobabble shenanigans like red matter)
with the combined industrial output of the entire galactic empire working on these massive projects.

The federation and romulans have thalaron weapons which essentially do the same, and have defeated the undine, which did already have planet killers.

>federation has maybe a couple hundred capital ships until the dominion war demands they be able to manufacture mass quantities for bad CGI battles

And a captured dyson sphere.
And they have massive stations.

>empire consists of millions of planets covering like half the galaxy

some of which can 'disappear' from maps for a decade without anyone even noticing.

>has been spacefaring for 300 years
plus the massive amount of time the federation temporal squad covers. and they do intervene in the past to avert existential threats.
>>
>>46948210
masses of fighters overwhelm larger ships.
single fighters need to be small enough to make maneuvering simple to make tracking with heavy weaponry impossible while phaser beams get absorbed by shields.
>>
>>46957522
>some of which can 'disappear' from maps for a decade without anyone even noticing.
Although Kamino was never part of the Republic and not even in the main galaxy, but off in a satellite system that was apparently already hard to find or get to.
>>
the empire also has the edge of technology that has been developed by thousands of different species that have more or less collaborated or forced to collaborate over the course of about 30000 years, they have advanced warfare as a result of countless campaigns against warring civilizations throughout the prior republic's time. Again they have the capital to support almost any long lasting war due to absolute dictatorship and military rule. Production rate of clone soldiers, ships, and weapons makes borg fleet seem like a better alternative enemy to try to fight and survive. The sheer number of ships the empire can deploy at any given fight vs that of the federation is a moot point because that requires the federation to actually be able to prepare to fight because by the time they get a warning out the fleets have already arrived to wreck their shit. And involving the Qs requires that they actually give a shit enough to do anything. they would get their jollies off by watching the fireworks because most of them don't give a shit as it is beneath them to deal with much less advanced life
>>
>>46952487
you do realize that the federation destroyed a borg unimatrix which is like a fucking small moon.
and borg cubes are several times the size of that imperium ship.
the imperium ship looks at most like some jem hadar dreadnought.
>>
as for temporal squad, that requires that they actually survive an encounter with the empire, and aren't completely wrecked in the process
>>
chaos ships would fuck federation's day up so fast
the demons would rape them into gobbets of flesh
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (52 KB, 386x281) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
52 KB, 386x281
>>46953484
>AI is weak to Warp
>implying the Warp is worth shit
>>
>>46957578
if you look at the galaxy map, kamino was right in the middle of the fucking galaxy.
also, the federation beat the dominion.
which was a quarter of the entire galaxy big.
>>
Let's look at the most important stat....

Star Wars box office... 6.5 billion world wide.
Star Trek box office... 1.9 billion
Take out the modern trek that nerds hate that lowered the total to 980 million.
>>
40k is that super dangerous universe that you really don't want walking into your reality, the warp and chaos are really what you have to fear, otherwise empire and even federation would fuck their day up
>>
star trek is still the inferior fandom
>>
>>46946237
>>46946491
>>46950594
It IS Han trying to bullshit the locals. The original script even says outright that Obi-Wan knows he's trying to bullshit him with that comment:

> HAN
> It's the ship that made the Kessel
> run in less than twelve parsecs!

> Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with
> obvious misinformation.

You also see it in his expression in the movie itself.
>>
>>46957361

The ships are mostly held together by high energy forcefields. Throw in weapons, thrusters that aren't a joke, impulse and main drive, and there's a reason your ship is a giant power system with people friendly molding on top. Tapping things like room lights and control panels into the already-extant INSANE POWER INFRASTRUCTURE is just a bonus, keeping you from having to run separate lines from the power plant to every nook and cranny of the ship.

The downside, of course, is catastrophic explosions when things go wrong.
>>
>>46957850
I probably believe you, but doesn't a line from Attack of the Clones involve Padme saying something that has parsecs being a unit of time?
>>
>>46957898
No idea, I'm just quoting from the script. If I had a copy of the movie handy I'd grab a screenshot of Ben's face at the remark as well, but he definitely knows Han is bullshitting him, while Luke just sits there with that dumb farmboy hick look on his face.
>>
and given that solo was referencing the fact that his ship's nav computer and engines could both navigate and speed through to the destination in 12 parsecs was more a matter of over stating the capabilities of the falcon
>>
the ship was extremely fast yes but it was both run down and barely holding together with patchwork repairs
>>
as for the ships of 40k, most are one small error from non existence, forget to say your prayers each morning, well guess what your shit doesn't want to work because the "machine spirit isn't happy", "oh you navigated that warp travel just a tad too long guess what you got, demon infestation", or worse your ship ends up smashing into itself as it was going into warp because the navigator plotted incorrectly and you arrived at your starting destination 5 seconds before your initial departure
>>
>>46957897
>is just a bonus, keeping you from having to run separate lines from the power plant to every nook and cranny of the ship.
Which is exactly what they should have done were they not complete fucking morons who don't give a shit about crew safety.
But this sadly represents everyone in that universe post TNG.

>oh Q killed dozens of innocent people irrevocably to make a point about the borg being too powerful for picard
well i guess he really made a good point, we sure know now that we are weak
>a few indigenous people somewhere need saving but must remain uncontacted because prime directive
let's risk the lives of the whole fucking crew for them
>tuvix is a completely new person, but the crew kinda liked the two separate better
let's murder that unique person to get the two individuals back.
>wiring every single appliance on the ship into the high energy plasma conduits risks killing tons of people upon failure
fuck it we can save a lot on wiring, so lets do it anyway

it's like this aberrated sort of fucking communism, where instead of "the needs of the many" individual lives don't matter *at all* as long as the collective benefits somehow.
i wouldn't be surprised if the borg were just time displaced federation people a couple centuries from the future.
>>
>>46957850
I remember the EU tried justifying it via claiming the Kessel required some degree of runway, similar to a plane, & the Millennium Falcon was able to get shit done with less start-up running space.
>>
not really a runway, more accurate astrogation data fast enough to plot most efficient route through mass shadows of celestial bodies to avoid gravity wells and all around random rocks in space when you come out of hyperspace
>>
for a smuggling freighter it's not so easy, for a small personal craft it is a lot easier
>>
Even allowing the EU into the fray... Trek has one significant advantage that the Empire can't compete with.

Cloaking devices that aren't double blind.
>>
>>46940344
>You're right, video games are enjoyable!
Every fucking time
>>
>>46940360
>>tech support's response isn't "just restart it"

> Implying that isn't actually the most believable part about Star Trek.

You live in the future now, anon.
>>
File: 1441660945304.jpg (66 KB, 960x643) Image search: [Google]
1441660945304.jpg
66 KB, 960x643
>>46952487
>that ship.
>that design

has anyone ever pointed out how the 40k ships look like they were designed to be about 0.25 to .4km max in size and then just photoshopped up to be some wankery-bigger-than-you scale?
>>
>>46958697

No.

No one has ever pointed that out.

You are the very first one ever.

We are in awe of your obervational skills and wit.

Good job, Anon, you win.
>>
>>46958405
That was after Lucas tried to mumble some excuse that they ran with.

What they should have done was ignore him, look at the ANH script and movie, and just say "yeah, Han was talking shit".
>>
>>46941838
In episodes of both the Next Generation and Voyager, they use handheld phasers to vaporize entire bunkers, and clean space station corridors of tightly packed indestructible space metals.
>>
>>46958836
>What they should have done was ignore him, look at the ANH script and movie, and just say "yeah, Han was talking shit".
Doesn't the original script already say that?
>>
>>46958928
Yes, which is why they should have followed that.

>In a commentary track on the Star Wars Blu-ray release, George Lucas stated that ships in the Star Wars universe can't travel in straight lines while in hyperspace due to collisions with celestial objects. Thus, distance is an important factor in how quickly a ship can get from point A to point B. The Millennium Falcon's superior navigation computer allowed it to travel shorter distances between points and arrive faster.

It literally comes from Lucas.
>>
>>46941655
The comic is pure autistic nerdrage, of course it's going to be reeeing at mlp too.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.