[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/exg/ - Exalted General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 1458429072635.jpg (92 KB, 564x797) Image search: [Google]
1458429072635.jpg
92 KB, 564x797
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition

>Final 3E Core Release
https://mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>3E Backer Core (Old)
https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE

>Often updated/refined Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill (autofilled with love)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Which Animabilities Be Shit Edition
>>
>>46921042
>Which Animabilities Be Shit Edition
The only ones I don't like are Night, because they just look so dull.
>>
File: 1457866109659.png (31 KB, 239x122) Image search: [Google]
1457866109659.png
31 KB, 239x122
>>46921042
Night's other Animabilities, Eclipse.

>>46921077
At least Night's dampening thing is useful. But that's it for Night.
>>
>>46921088
I actually like Eclipse, being able to make actually binding deals with people who don't want to is great mythical stuff. Also being able to call lightning or wreath yourself in fire or whatever else cool stuff that fits.
>>
>>46921042
Guys I've been looking for an image that sometimes appear on these threads. The one with animu dude with yellowish hair and drawn katana, with the japanese flag between his face and the blade, you can only see his upper torso. Anybody recognize what I'm talking about from the description?
>>
>>46921042

Two of the Night caste abilities are wonky and narrow, and much as I love the escape pod power, that and the Hardness anima still don't fit Twilights.

I swapped out the Stealth-penalty negator for "Spend 1wp to reflexively make an attempt to hide or disguise yourself, like jumping out a window or putting on a disguise." Only applies outside of combat-time, for obvious reasons, but lets them pull the Batman thing. The disco-ball anima I'm still fine-tuning, but my model is the black/white ninjas episode of Samurai Jack.

As for the Twilight, I swapped out the hardness power with a persistent dice-booster fluffed as providing advice (I figured a combat-applicable power should be swapped for a combat-applicable one), and the escape pod power for free thaumaturgy.

>>46921088
Honestly Eclipses 2 for 3 on pretty damn good animas, and the Charmshare will get exponentially better over time, so naming them as a shitty anima is odd to me.
>>
>>46921088
>At least Night's dampening thing is useful. But that's it for Night.
dude, penalty negation is huge, especially since stealth doesn't get that otherwise. Have you ever tried going to gronud without it? Believe me, it's a giant pain in the ass.
>>
>>46921157

It's not that the penalty-negator itself is bad, it's that anima abilities should be either something all members of the caste can make use of (the Dawn's 2 combat powers) or something that lives completely outside the caste abilities (the intimidation power).

As it stands the Stealth penalty-negator is neither; the anima ability pressures you to have Stealth as an obligate caste choice.
>>
>>46921186
Seconding this, we have a Prince-of-Persia style Night Caste with no Stealth at all and that anima effect has been useless for him.
>>
>>46921186
Which is double annoying, because in actual play it's really hard to make a character centered around stealth as a part of a team effort. Stealth has always been a solo buisness and it's always difficult for the ST to divide attention between the guy stealthing and the rest of the party.
>>
>>46921225
>>46921234
So? A Dawn with no Presence won't get any use out of the Intimidation anima effect, and a non-combat Zenith won't use the anti-CoD effect. I think non-stealthy Night Castes are rarer than that, because being a sneaky ninja is a core part of being a Night.
>>
>>46921302
>A Dawn with no Presence won't get any use out of the Intimidation anima effect, and a non-combat Zenith won't use the anti-CoD effect.
The difference is, Presence and the combat abilities aren't on the table for those castes ANYWAY.

There's no pressure to spend a Caste Ability slot on Presence as a Dawn, because you can't. There's a bit of pressure to spend one of your Favored Ability slots on it, but not as much, because Favored Abilities are competing against 19 other choices, not just 7.

>I think non-stealthy Night Castes are rarer than that, because being a sneaky ninja is a core part of being a Night.
No, being underhanded is the core part of being a Night, and you can absolutely do that without being a ninja in any respect. Larceny, Socialize, Investigation, Awareness, Dodge. A Night that's a right bastard of a criminal mastermind, the likes of which to make any real life Don feel like a shmuck.
>>
>>46921042
>http://jyenicolson.net
Anyone got a mirror or have a clue about finding this tutorial now that the link's down?
>>
>>46921234
Sometimes, you just have to split the party. Our Night has been very handy at delivering messages secretly in the middle of a warzone. Mind, our Night has had to miss a few sessions, but just saying "Alright, I guess Tiana goes and does the thing" solves a lot of problems.
>>
>>46921571
I've got a stealth supernal, and I'd really like to not detract from the rest of the party's screen time, and do stuff with them more.
Any suggestions?
>>
File: desert bandit.png (379 KB, 666x800) Image search: [Google]
desert bandit.png
379 KB, 666x800
>>46921649
There's a stealth charm that lets you hide someone in addition to yourself. That's where I would start. Passing secret messages is another good niche, you basically become essential to everyone else's intrigue. Become the intel guy; when you're gearing up to go smash someone's face in, scout ahead and see how many buddies he has, and when you're engaged in tense negotiations, sneak into the other guys' tents and read their diaries and spy on their meetings.
>>
>>46921649

Most of the stealth charms are actually combat-related anyway, so being supernal stealth isn't any worse than just being 5-dotted stealth in terms of wasting resources on non-party-friendly things.

Stealth by itself tends not to be that great anyway. I mean, not being seen is pretty passive. It's what you can do *while* you're not being seen that determines what use you'll be.

If you've got decent athletics, stealth, and larceny, you can generally be the Circle's entry point. You can climb/sneak/fake your way in anywhere, move around undetected, and facilitate a way for the rest of the party to get in. As long as your ST doesn't want to make you play out a massive long sequence in order to do so, you should be able to be useful without pulling massive spotlight time onto yourself.

With awareness, you can be the party's advance scout. Uncover ambushes and traps, and give your party enough notice to avoid them, or set their own.
>>
What plasces in Creation would have designated shitting streets?

I nominate Nexus, for starters.
>>
>>46921804

Nexus wouldn't have *designated* shitting streets. People would shit wherever they want to, unless someone with more money has people being killed for shitting in their front lawn.
>>
>>46921760
>>46921769
I plan on being the spy master for our city.
I've got linguistics to read and copy intel documents, and pass notes on for people.
I've got awareness, athletics, and larceny to be a solid scout, but I'd like if it were less reliant on going solo and I'd want those sections swept over like you said.
I'm getting sort of fast travel options to be able to visit nearby cities in a more useful timeframe than boat or horse, I'm hoping that can help keep tabs on our ally and enemy neighbours.
I'm just looking for a way to make sure this will all tie in with the team, be useful for their goals, and not take up screentime.
>>
>>46921804
You can shit where you want in Nexus. It's a capitalist hell-hole.
>>
Hey I have a odd sort of question. I'm planning out a story which has some Exalted influence, most notably in that there's a Malfeas-like demon realm composed of the bodies of these Primordial-like beings, having been stuffed inside themselves.

What kind of twists could I do to the basic premise of Malfeas, as opposed to just ripping off Exalted? I don't want to copy-paste the whole idea.

Sorry if this isn't really suited for this thread, I'm posting here since we would be most familiar with Malfeas. Damn, Exalted got all the cool ideas first.
>>
>>46922276
Read Kill Six Billion Demons.
>>
>>46922276
>>46922309
Also TES' Oblivion realms I guess?
>>
File: india gets shat on.jpg (4 MB, 6192x3416) Image search: [Google]
india gets shat on.jpg
4 MB, 6192x3416
Is there a God of the Loo in Nexus?
>>
>>46922367
I'd say there's the God of Loos and then under her is the God of Loos of Nexus
>>
>>46922276
>>46922309
Additionally: Read Night's Master, and the rest of the series. It's mostly what Exalted's hell is based on. Fair warning though: The books are a bitch to find.
>>
>>46922367
>>46921804
So is this actually some weird attempt at trolling? I don't know why you're posting about shitting but it doesn't appear to actually have anything to do with Exalted.
>>
>>46922434
They were asking about the God of Toilets you pleb, he's the only God On creation who offers a halfway decent travel package if you become his Exigent.
>>
I'm thinking of going with a stealth/larceny focus for my first character, and using Solar XP to pick up martial arts as one person has been saying in these threads. Is Ebon Shadow as brutally effective as the game makes it out to be?
>>
>>46921137
Nobody? Really? It gets posted every time we dump art, come on.
>>
>>46923588
Might be here:
https://www.pinterest.com/letipex/exalted-inspiration/
Could you elaborate on what the picture looked like?
Dump anons might come by later to help you.
>>
>>46924067
Hm, I'm at a loss as to how describe it more. It was mostly red, the dude had blond hair and a cheecky grin, as far as I remember, was pointing the blade at the viewer.
>>
>>46924127
Old flag with the rays or modern flag with just the circle?
What was the dude wearing?
Anything in the background or minimalist?
>>
I just heard that the final 3e core is out. Any major changes compared to the previous backer pdf?
>>
>>46924163
Flag with rays, armour, no background.
>>
>>46924245
Nothing major, layout is significantly better, with a proper index, few wording tweaks.
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/869500-final-pdf-what-s-new?p=869629#post869629
>>
File: chargen.gif (885 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
chargen.gif
885 KB, 500x282
>>46924311
>cancerforums
butwhy
>>
>>46924392
What's your issue with the OPP forums?
>>
>>46924419
Too mainstream
>>
What sort of Charm investment should I look into if I want to make a Brawler who punch shit gud in 3e?
>>
>>46924589
Like, at least three charms? Five is pretty good.
>>
What kind of traditional, cheap, and simple foods might you get in the scavenger lands?
Something kinda like porkbuns.
>>
>>46924589
Much like with Melee, depends on your playstyle. If you want to hurl people across Creation and punch them into Malfeas- Heaven Thunder Hammer and it's kin. If you want to impersonate Jotaro you go towards Rampage Berserker Attack and ORA ORA ORA all day long.
>>
>>46924924
Not that guy, but what should i take if i want to become Hulk Hogan on magical god steroids?
>>
>>46924944
Increasing Strength Exercise and Thunderbolt Attack Prana from Athletics. Leap from the tabernacle and flex more strength into yourself.
>>
>>46924944
Speaking of steroids, can I brew a potion to buff my strength for a scene so my nerdy Twilgiht ass doesn't get kicked?
>>
>>46925047

You'll be fine, pansy.

If you're that paranoid about it invest in combat sorcery.
>>
Are there any homebrewed charmsets for non-Solar splats around?
>>
>>46925047
There's an athletics charm that does that, Increasing Strength Exercise. Stunt it as eating spinach.
>>
>>46925047
Just flash away with your amazing anima power.

Or take the hit and get out scot free with your other amazing anima power.

Or summon a demon bodyguard and boost it with Occult.
>>
>>46924944
Shaping Ritual that lets you brew potions to activate cheat codes
>>
>>46925409
>bodyguard

Singular, because the devs hate twilights almost as much as they hate sorcerers
>>
>>46925458
Yes, they hate them so much they made Sorcery the single most cost-efficient investment in the game.
>>
File: Street-Fighter-V_Laura_5_throw.jpg (142 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Street-Fighter-V_Laura_5_throw.jpg
142 KB, 1024x576
So, I just got a shiny new (pdf) copy of 3e, and I'm trying to digest the rules.

Is grappling going to be any good in this edition? I like the idea of spamming clash attack grapple attempts and being a supernatural jiu-jitsu master, but I'm not sure that it'll work out in play.

I mean, being grappled seems to just be a slight inconvenience for the person being grappled (-1/-2 on attacks, -2 defense). They can't move, but they can do pretty much anything else. The opportunity to attack them at Defense 0 is pretty cool, but it requires a successful Decisive attempt to get.

TL;DR- will I be screwing the party if I spend my turns throwing bitches?
>>
>>46925458
Sorcerers get more than their share of love in this´edition, and there's also nothing preventing the Twilight from summoning multiple demon bodyguards.
>>
>>46925581
>Is grappling going to be any good in this edition? I like the idea of spamming clash attack grapple attempts and being a supernatural jiu-jitsu master, but I'm not sure that it'll work out in play.
Yes. Grappling is fucking terrifying once you land it, but kind of risky to get off.

>I mean, being grappled seems to just be a slight inconvenience for the person being grappled (-1/-2 on attacks, -2 defense). They can't move, but they can do pretty much anything else. The opportunity to attack them at Defense 0 is pretty cool, but it requires a successful Decisive attempt to get.
You are really underestimating getting a free 5+ damage, and that's just savages. Throws/slams hit even harder than that, especially if you can throw them off something.

Like a cliff.
>>
>>46925458
>bodyguards
One per day.
>>
>>46925581
Threw a grappling Dragon-Blooded at a reasonably fighty Solar. The Solar got crashed, would've most likely died if he hadn't had a Circlemate with him. Attacking someone at Defense 0 isn't just cool, it's amazing. Yes, it requires a successful Decisive attack, but so does hurting people with a regular Decisive attack, and grapple Gambit can be pulled off at a significantly lower Initiative than a meaningful regular Decisive attack, and without resetting to base Initiative.
>>
>>46925672
Can only keep one in your anima though
>>
>>46925772
With the rest being just regular bound demon bodyguards.
>>
>>46925772
At essence 1 yeah, but that's hardly required for a demon bodyguard.
>>
>>46925672
They last a year and a day. I honestly have no idea how you handle that. That's 426 first circle demons at a time with Creation's calendar, and with as much variety as you want.
>>
>>46925108

Alchemicals.
>>
>>46925929
If you start summoning that many demons, you'll start attracting all kinds of unwanted attention.
>>
>>46926415
Yeah, Gods have spirit sight and they tend to frown on you bringing an army of demons into their crib

Which is why the Twilight power in the leak was so great. You could bring them along, but it didn't start a riot everywhere you went.

Instead I have to drag around an army of 426 demons, another army of 426 elementals and finally a handful of lieutenants in my anima / Ephemerally Inducted familiars.

My Twilight looks like Ash Ketchum and Emperor Palpatine's love child.
>>
>>46926415

Is it? You summon one a night and you keep them all dematerialized. Now, if you start summoning 2CDs or 3CDs then you can bet your ass that someone is going to have a problem with that.
>>
>>46926496
Gods and other exalts and sorcerers can see dematerialised spirits.
>>
>>46926415
That's such a generic response.

I'm not being judgemental saying that; I use the same logic to discourage my Shadowrun players from summoning high-Force spirits. (For the uninitiated, "never cut a deal with a Dragon" Shadowrun Dragons, the biggest magical movers and shakers in the setting, will be one-shot by high-Force spirits, and a standard magic user can summon one at any time at minor expense.)

So, sure, there are answers to that and every other powerful option in every game setting that the NPCs in that setting have the ability to know about in-character. Doesn't change the fact that it is a powerful option that takes effort from GM and NPCs to counter.
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 1457275443527.png (2 MB, 887x700) Image search: [Google]
1457275443527.png
2 MB, 887x700
>>46927058
>>
File: du-showwhy-.jpg (175 KB, 800x1159) Image search: [Google]
du-showwhy-.jpg
175 KB, 800x1159
The new Volcano Cutter looks badass, but for personal preference I like a thinner sword with a longer handle.

I pay attention to handles and grips on weapons. A big magical weapon is a thing that a person picks up that makes them stronger. The grip, and the way that the person would hold the weapon, seems important to me. Have a surfboard daiklave if you want, but give a human sized person something to hold onto while they swing it.
>>
>>46925047
>>46925434
I need your strongest potions if I'm to be successful in the battle.
>>
Which book(s) have details on Autobot's mega AIDS?
>>
>>46927478

There aren't any.

Alchemicals and Autochthonia discusses its symptoms, Gremlin Syndrome and the Void Zones, but not the sickness itself.
>>
What're the differences in using a Iron Soul Stone vs using Integrity-Protecting Prana?
>>
Is Archery shit or what? It seems like all everyone ever talks about is Melee and Brawl.
>>
>>46928984
Archery + Ride = crying Melee fags
>>
>>46928997
>What is Blazing Solar Bolt, what is Invinsible Fury of the Dawn.
>>
>>46928997
Archery + Awareness + Decent hill = I can probably shoot you.

If you stand on the Imperial Mountain you can hit 95% of Creation. The other 5% is for the parts behind other, smaller mountains.
>>
>>46928984
It's ironic because the single most broken Combat Ability is actually Thrown. It's just that nobody wants to admit that.
>>
>>46929065
We've had long discussions about how Thrown+Stealth is completely stupid in how good it is. It just isn't interesting to talk about anymore.
>>
>>46928877

The stone only protects against the Wyld's passive effects specifically, and it pisses off Raksha, while IPP protects against all body/mind-warping magic regardless of source, so long as it's not specific and intentional.

Iron Soul Stone: Makes it safe for lots of people to walk around in the Wyld without turning into ducks, but won't protect them against any other source of flesh/mind-warping.

IPP: Only protects you, but shuts down anything passive or environmental that would try to turn you into a duck, regardless of source.

Neither one protects against a Raksha running up and saying "you're a duck now, faggot!"
>>
>>46929065
How so? Thrown seems so schizophrenic its honestly difficult to tell what the fuck its supposed to be doing.
>>
>>46929098
It's pretty straight-forward: it kills everything before you roll your first attack.
>>
>>46924924
>>46924924
I'm actually not sure. Which one would be the best for just general fucking people and things up with punches and such?
>>
>>46929065
it is not though. stealth + any ability can have similar fight ending effect - archery especially.

Seven Omens Shot as your ambush attack does as much or more than anything Thrown can do
>>
>>46924751
Bun-porks.
>>
>>46929344
I'm not even talking about stealth here, thrown is the best on it's own, in a complete vaccum.

Seven Omens Shot as your ambush attack does as much or more than anything Thrown can do

Maybe. But not to an entire town-square.
>>
>>46929344
I think one of the points against Seven Omens Shot is that 3 round Aim action though. One of the strengths of thrown, if not the primary strength, is that it can typically go first.
>>
3e seems to have gone really fucking weird in its attitude to experience. It still has some xp sinks, and it also preserves 2e's chargen traps and bp/xp disparity, but it removes a couple of xp sinks in Survival ("you get back xp invested in familiar") and introduces some charms that CREATE xp out of nowhere.

Craft: Exegesis of the Distilled Form converts craft points to experience points, max 20 per story.

Lore: Flowing Mind Prana + Tireless Learner Method lets you earn experience points based on how many experience points you committed for a story.

I can sympathize with wanting to play down xp in favor of FATElike milestones and ST discretion, but this... uh... what?
>>
>>46929482
I'm not sure then what your argument is for Thrown being the best combat ability.

As for cutting down a town-square, yeah, Cascade of Cutting Terror IS really good at killing insignificant opponents
>>
>>46929483
I assumed he meant Thrown was amazing because it ends fights at round 1, so I was comparing their assassination capabilities.

If your target is unaware of you it doesn't matter that you spend 3 rounds aiming. With There Is No Wind and Keen Sight technique you can even do it from extreme range where the other guy has almost 0 chance of seeing you
>>
>>46929938
And Swarm-Culling Instinct is really good at killing significant oponents.
>>
Do the image dumping-fags have any pictures of a redheaded loli?
>>
>>46929998
Swarm-Culling lets you attack (Dexterity) opponents if you win JB. So lets say 5 attacks.

You cannot make consecutive attacks against a single target, and since those attacks are rolled separately you reset init if you launch a decisive, but is still a great charm for 2m.

Thrown's strengths:
-Disarm Gambits, decisive tricks (joint wounding)
-VERY powerful round 1
-good at close and short range

Weaknesses:
-Like archery, it has few ways to generate initiative - you're trading the power of close combat for the safety of ranged attacks.
- if you don't win JB you lose a lot of effectiveness
-its big damage enhancers can only be used on ambushes or winning JB
-no option to make multiple consecutive attacks on a single target in one round
>>
File: RED-chan.png (471 KB, 615x730) Image search: [Google]
RED-chan.png
471 KB, 615x730
>>46930016
>>
>>46930244
That's an accurate summation.

In the end all the styles of fightning greatly benefit from a large pool of starting Initative, with Thrown simply benefitiing the most and on top of it it has a natural synergy with stealth, which also happens to have one of the best openings in the form of Blinding Battle Feint.

All of them also have their own weaknesses- Brawl is costly and reckless, Melee takes a long warm-up and Thrown as well as Archery bank everything on an opening round which if it doesn't go your way, you're gonna be far behind.

They trully start to shine when you start stacking them on top of each other. They are surprisngly synergistic, Opening up with Swarm Culling Instict just to Thunderclap Rush Attack and Crash something, Triggering One Weapon, Two Blows... And on and on it gows.

They actually finally achieved the perfect solution to the Dawn Problem.
>>
>>46930372
>Thrown as well as Archery bank everything on an opening round which if it doesn't go your way, you're gonna be far behind.

Huh? Nah. Archery is to Melee, as Thrown is to Brawl. Archery rewards the long game - like taking those three aim actions to totally screw someone over with Seven Omens.
>>
>>46930416
Ideally you should be trying to open with that, trying to make it work after the combat started is not the best idea.
>>
>>46930416
Archery is based around fighting single opponents though, while Melee is based around fighting groups.
>>
In which book do rules for making Ghostblooded and Half castes appear?
>>
>>46931425

Scroll of Heroes.

Mind the merits and flaws; most of them are boring/busted, and the mutations are pretty suspect too.

Also you're way better off giving half-castes spirit Charms rather than Exalt Charms.

Basically the only part of Scroll of Heroes that actually functions is the part where it says X-bloods are "mortals, but with mutations and spirit Charms."
>>
>>46930466

Sure, but you have options (Seven Omen is just the one with the longest setup). WIth Thrown, you've pretty much blown your wad at the start of the fight - a fully-tricked out Join Battle + Swarm Culling will go a good way towards emptying your mote pool. You have one big bang, then you run around trying to get killed, throwing out little attacks whenever you can afford it.

>>46930682

That's because melee is a combo offensive+defensive ability.

Archery has good charms for dealing *offensively* with both groups (Trance of Unhesitating Speed, Arrow Storm Technique, etc) and single targets (Revolving Bow, Seven Omens, etc), but doesn't have defensive options for either. If you're relying on archery for defence, you're equally screwed by both groups and singletons.

That said, with archery, you're probably going to want to be taking dodge to give you a defensive ability, which *also* gives you disengage shenanigans so you can kite, and stop yourself being engaged by multiples. Ride is also gravy.
>>
>>46931563

Hell I'd say its amazing to have ride. REFLEXIVE disengage? Hell yes.
>>
>>46931425
1e Players Guide
>>
>>46931826

Yeah, but because it's you doing the disengage, not your mount, you need good Dodge before ride'll do its thing. Something nice to have on top, but you need Dodge first.
>>
>>46932037

Except you can use Ride for all combat movement rolls while mounted.

Even if it's "you" doing it.
>>
Someone please explain to me how the fuck Awakening Eye is supposed to work, especially with Blinding Battle Feint. If you get a Percerption+Awareness Excellency, does that interact with the charm dice limit at all? What if I want to use something that adds auto successes to the Join Battle roll like Flashing Vengeance Draw or Flashing Draw Mastery?
>>
>>46932160

It doesn't work with Blinding Battle Feint. If you're using BBF, you're making a stealth roll for JB, not an awareness one, so awareness enhancing rolls are inapplicable.

As for your other questions, a full excellency completely consumes the dice cap, so using it with other effects that also count towards the dice cap is inefficient.
>>
>>46932160
>If you get a Percerption+Awareness Excellency, does that interact with the charm dice limit at all?
Yep. You add up to (Perception + Awareness) dice, up to your normal dice limit (in this case of Wits+Awareness).

>What if I want to use something that adds auto successes to the Join Battle roll like Flashing Vengeance Draw or Flashing Draw Mastery?
Then unless they're non-Charm successes, they also come out of your dice cap and you'll either have to add fewer successes or fewer dice.
>>
>>46932203
>It doesn't work with Blinding Battle Feint. If you're using BBF, you're making a stealth roll for JB, not an awareness one, so awareness enhancing rolls are inapplicable.

Incorrect. You enhance a Join Battle roll witha free (Perception + Awareness) Excellency, it doesn't matter what ability you actually use for that JB roll.
>>
>>46931826
People don't understand how stupid-good Ride can be. You don't even need to be on a tyrant lizard, although that definitely fucking helps, it lets you break the action economy and have crazy-good mobility (remember 2E, "inapplicability is a 0m persistent perfect defense") and that's really all it needs to do on its own. Combine it with an actual tyrant lizard, or Survival...the capstone Survival Charm makes your god-monster not reset Initiative on decisive attacks, among many, many other buffs, but it pays in an initiative hemorrhage. One of the capstone Ride Charms negates that hemorrhage.

G fucking G.

(Also, yeddim can lend archers or thrown builds their 16 soak reflexively, and climbing them is a huge opportunity cost without instant transmission charms. That soak-lending is broken as fuck even before you TOUCH Survival.)
>>
This is the only game I have ever considered buying just for the fluff.
>>
File: Fae.jpg (339 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
Fae.jpg
339 KB, 707x1000
>>46932998
>One of the capstone Ride Charms negates that hemorrhage.
Which? I still don't have the 3e charms down pat; I reckon most people don't.
>>
>>46930416
How the fuck does Seven Omens even work? It has some weird language.
>>
>>46927098
Why is that wolf a waffle
>>
>>46932283
Incorrect, the Charm is Supplemental and therefore can only Supplement an Awareness roll.
>>
Say, is this place the right place to ask for assistance in creating a character? Or should I find a group and get their opinions instead? I'm new to Exalted.
>>
>>46923544
>Is Ebon Shadow as brutally effective as the game makes it out to be?
Yes, but only when combined with Supernal Stealth. Take a look at both - the synergies should be obvious as you examine them. To put it simply, they can be used to trigger/multiply each other's effects in combat.
>>
>>46933173
The Onyx Path forums are probably a better place, but you can also post here.
>>
>>46933047

Wrathful Mount Invigoration. And while it's technically a capstone in that it's the end of its particular tree, it only has 2 pre-reqs, so its not exactly a massive buy-in.
>>
>>46933414
Thanks!

Well, considering the current topic of discussion here seems to be the power of charms and such, I'll post a question I had about Martial Arts.

I'm considering being a character with a slight emphasis on grappling, with it themed as controlling the enemy's balance via precision and manipulation rather than brute force.

Snake Style seemed like an obvious choice, but there also seemed to be some Tiger Style, Dreaming Pearl, and Black Claw stuff that would fit that.
>>
>>46928984
>Is Archery shit or what?
No, it's good, it's just that most people would rather be duking it out up close for dramatic/thematic reasons. My personal favorite Archery combo is Flashing Vengeance Draw plus an Awareness Initiative booster, followed by Revolving Bow Discipline, followed by Finishing Snipe.

That gives you Essence automatic successes on Join Battle plus making your first attack unblockable (as long as you go first, which you will, because you also have an Awareness booster), lets you attack someone with Withering attacks until you miss or they crash (since you're going first and they haven't had time to build initiative, they're probably crashing), and lets you make a Reflexive decisive as your opponent crashes and your flurry ends.

That's the 'quickdraw and fan the hammer until they're dead' build, and it wrecks face. It even plays well with other party members, since Finishing Snipe can proc off of other party members crashing a foe within range.

But when push comes to shove, you're just going to see a lot more people wanting to play exalts tossing fists or swinging swords than exalts shooting bows.
>>
>>46933028
For two editions now, the fluff has been the ONLY reason to buy it. 1e and 2e both had trash for mechanics, and lived and died entirely by how into the setting its fans were. 3e is the first edition that's actually fun to play, and not just fun to read about/freeform roleplay.
>>
>>46933685
All I see is a bunch of factual statements. Where's the question?
>>
>>46933857
The questions would be "is any of these options a trap that a new player should avoid?" and "Would any of them particularly fit by your experience?"

If the answer is "No, they're all valid choices" and "They all fit the concept pretty well." then I'll have to give Exalted Kudo's for apparently designing their game really well. I can't remember any other game where I could pick out four random styles and they were all viable.
>>
>>46933954
Yeah, all of them can work just fine for what you're doing, depending on which aspects of that fighting style you want to emphasize.

In fact, many of those styles work well when combined together. Snake and Black Claw in particular haven fantastic synergy, for example.
>>
>>46933685

From a mechanics standpoint, Brawl is still your best option. Vicious Lunge and Oak-Curling Clinch are incredibly efficient and powerful Charms even if you never get Devil-Strangling Attitude, and Devil-Strangling Attitude only says it "allows" you to roll Str+Brawl, not that it "requires" you to roll Str+Brawl. It's still a decent Charm just for its +3m effect.

Otherwise I'd vote Tiger Style. It has the most straightforwardly applicable grapple Charms, and a bonus to rushes. Distance is always a grappler's worst enemy.
>>
>>46933954

Most of them (apart from Tiger) don't offer much in the way of grapple synergy, though. Brawl and Tiger are the most straight-forward grapple enhancers, and they're more about raw power than precision and balance.
>>
>>46934064
>>46934103

Would it be possible to roll some brawl charms to have a strong base set of abilities, and then get the flavor I want from dips into things like Snake/Black Claw? Or will that split focus make me pay a ton for very little benefit, and I'd be better off just reflavoring brawl/tiger abilities.
>>
>>46934192
Omochiron datto. In fact the biggest draw of Snake isn't offense, it's defense and Brawl can sure use a good defensive set. Plus Snake's entry Charms have a great synergy with Thunderclap Rush Attack, since with them even if you don't roll high on your Initiative you can get these bonuses since you technically already acted on your turn.
>>
>>46934192
Generally I'd avoid having more than one offensive Ability, but I tend to play very cerebral or social characters. Like >>46934283 pointed out, Snake does defense and Brawl could use it. I'd recommend picking up some basic Dodge Charms and an Ox-Body or two and you've got a pretty decent starting package that still gives you a bunch of dots to splash into things like Presence, Lore, Occult, Sail, etc.
>>
>>46934192

Honestly, you'll want to split your character multiple ways anyway. If you invested all you charms straight into combat, you'd no doubt be a monster, but boring as hell, too.

Taking, say, Vicious Lunge, Crashing Wave, Devil-Strangling and Thunderclap Rush from Brawl, and Snake to the Form, and you've still got more than half your charms to spread around in stuff like Athletics and Performance, and such.
>>
>>46934494
Eh. What makes character interesting is the character, not the charms.
>>
>>46934743
I don't think they're so easily divorced. The fact that someone can do a particular amazing thing is as much a part of the character as anything else. It's not just mechanics.
>>
>>46934283
>>46934470
>>46934494

Thanks for the advice on how to do this! I think I'll adopt the Snake Defense/Brawl Offense combo.

And no worries about being all combat. Actually rolling a former thief who accidentally performed a heroic leadership act ("If I rally the thieves guild to try and break through the blockade, I can slip away in the confusion with all the loot!") ending up Zenith Caste (lots of starting points in theify stuff, but favored/caste in social), I just wanted to not be a burden in combat.
>>
>>46934774
this
>>
>>46934814
That sounds like a really fun character, anon.
>>
>>46934774
On the other hand you have a whole lot of space to grow as a character and aquire all sorts of new abilities, not just refine the ones you have. It's definitely not inarguably true that a character with a wide arrey of impressive skills is always going to be more interesting or more fun to play than a character who is widening their persepctive during the campaign.

Case in point: I one made a crafter, I've put literally all of my Charms into that one ability and the character was a super-hopeful kid who looked up to all te other members of the party as role-models and was basically learning something new every day. Some of the best fun I've ever had. I can imagine similar thing can be done with a brawler or anything esle really.
>>
>>46932203
>It doesn't work with Blinding Battle Feint. If you're using BBF, you're making a stealth roll for JB, not an awareness one, so awareness enhancing rolls are inapplicable.
Are you sure?
>The Exalt may use her (Dexterity + Stealth) to Join Battle.
> may
>>
>>46931479
>"mortals, but with mutations and spirit Charms."

Dat. A godblooded is basically a mortal with a small essence pool and three or four spirit charms inherited from his parent. They are powerful, but only in respect to the rest of the mortals. You don't really need a whole book to create one.

IIRC too a ghost blooded learns spirit charm, which I found stupid. A ghost blooded should take ghostly Arcanoi.
>>
>>46936017

Yep

> Supplemental Charms can generally only benefit rolls using the Ability they’re listed under, unless otherwise stated.
> only

And no, "Join Battle" isn't stating you can use it with another ability. What that looks like is

> Swarm-Culling Instinct is expressly permitted to be used in combination with Charms that boost Join Battle results, so long as they are not based in Archery, Melee, or Brawl.
>>
>>46936082
they learn their supernatural parent's charms. also scroll of heroes was basically 99% copypaste from 1e. so demon/godblooded learn spirit charms, ghostblooded learn arcanoi, fae-blooded got shafted and only got some merits or somesuch, and Half-caste could learn their parent exalt's charms.
>>
>>46921042

How do the whole First Age memories thing work? When a Solar dies, some of his memories stick to the shard, right? So when a new hero gets the shard, he has a link back to the first hero.

But at the same time, they're two DIFFERENT people. So it's possible for the Primoridal War hero's ghost (Or Deathlord) to be around, at the same time you, the most recent inheritor of the Exaltation exists.

This actually means that death is a lot more scary than you'd expect. When a Solar dies, he loses everything forever. He can't even console himself with the idea that "I'll reincarnate as a Solar again."

It's all gone for good. The torch has been passed. He got to the very top of the world, but it's only for one lifetime.
>>
>>46936342
That happens when everyone dies.
>>
>>46936342
No, what? If you die as a Solar, you can still reincarnate normally as a mortal, and potentially Exalt again. You're just not guaranteed a second Exaltation.

You don't lose your soul or anything. Death is scary because it's death, but Solars aren't extra-dead when they die.
>>
>>46936442

No, I mean, the next inheritor of your Exaltation is not tied to your soul. He has fragments of your memories, but he isn't you.

It's the difference between being someone with amnesia, and having someone else's memories. Even if he decided to embrace his First Age persona entirely, he's basically a copy instead of the original, if that makes sense.
>>
>>46936547
He's a lot more you than the person your soul with become after a thorough wash through Lethe and birth. In fact, he's a lot more you than any human could hope to be in a subsequent life. Only the Dragon Kings could actually be themselves the next time after dying.
>>
File: Time To End It.jpg (29 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
Time To End It.jpg
29 KB, 500x339
>tfw the Dragons don't bless you with Exaltation
>>
File: GET OUT THERE PARKER.jpg (20 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
GET OUT THERE PARKER.jpg
20 KB, 400x300
PARKER! I NEED PICTURES! PICTURES OF DRAGON-BLOODED WARRIORS!

And music for fight scenes too, that'd be rad
>>
>>46937465
Just because I'm listening to it at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTeE2Jeu5Kk
>>
File: CathakFemshu.jpg (885 KB, 1236x1020) Image search: [Google]
CathakFemshu.jpg
885 KB, 1236x1020
>>46937465
>>
>>46937465
>>
File: 1454699928353.jpg (325 KB, 1280x1078) Image search: [Google]
1454699928353.jpg
325 KB, 1280x1078
>>46937465
>>
>>46937813
>>46937843
>>46937885
D'you got a Fire Aspect fetish or something? Just curious.
>>
>>46937916

I only posted
>>46937843
>>46937885

These two, though fire aspects are my favourite s, so I'm a tad biased. I'd post more, and other aspects, but capcha keeps making me wait 4 minutes between posts because of duplicates, or whatever, so I'm going to bed instead!
>>
File: 1445632790351.jpg (113 KB, 700x969) Image search: [Google]
1445632790351.jpg
113 KB, 700x969
>>
File: 028_b_00.jpg (150 KB, 1200x703) Image search: [Google]
028_b_00.jpg
150 KB, 1200x703
>>46937465

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v5eSoNC_k4
>>
I was just asked to join a game of exalted, what am I in for?
>>
File: 003_a_00.jpg (173 KB, 1200x703) Image search: [Google]
003_a_00.jpg
173 KB, 1200x703
>>46937465

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywq_T9s4j2w
>>
File: 021_c_00.jpg (164 KB, 1200x703) Image search: [Google]
021_c_00.jpg
164 KB, 1200x703
>>46937465

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWAcK1P79nk
>>
>>46938099
>I was just asked to join a game of exalted, what am I in for?

Throwing buckets of dice around. With occasionally absurd results, as *any* roll in Exalted can become a critical failure or a critical success.

The ST futzing around a lot and making shit up because there is too much stuff to keep track of.

Massive power disparities and very unbalanced capabilities. Exalted does not have "levels", instead you invest experience points in raising specific aspects of character power.

A post-post-postapocalyptic easternoid fantasy setting that can't quite decide whether it's trying to be wuxia, social satire, progressive activism, grimderp, or animu.

A wizard did it. Except the wizards are called "solars".
>>
>>46938099
If you don't like crunchy systems, you'll probably have a hard time.

If you do, and your ST's good, then you're in for a wild ride. Get ready to play a game where a character can have not one bit of combat ability, express his power through the lenses of knowledge, occult practices and bureaucracy, and change face of the world in the course of the campaign.

Or you can wreck faces in style, too, if you're into that.
>>
>>46938287
>If you do, and your ST's good, then you're in for a wild ride.

If you eat the Mystery Meat, then you might be in for Mr Bones' Wild Ride.
>>
File: comeon.jpg (15 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
comeon.jpg
15 KB, 600x375
>>46938073
>>46938100
>>46938118
>still using animu shit
>>
>>46936547
Welcome to the reason why the Deathlords sold their souls to recapture lost power.

>>46936743
That's really just fundamentally not true. You have some dead dude's memories, but Exalted is a setting where a soul which is fundamentally core to your personhood explicitly exists, and you don't get that.

And before you say that souls get cleaned to a 100% blank state that has no base personality or identity between incarnations, the consistent personality traits that crop up from incarnation to incarnation is literally something explicitly tracked for determining qualification to be an Alchemical exalt.

Souls in Exalted aren't just some power source that animates a person - something that's interchangeable and wiped back to a perfectly clean factory state between incarnations - it's something that has its memories reset after every incarnation but whose core personality and consistency of central identity remains between each and every life.

So no, the person who receives your exaltation isn't your reincarnation, and he isn't the closest thing to 'you' that exists. He's just the guy with the clearest recollection of some of your strongest memories.
>>
>>46938287
>Get ready to play a game where a character can have not one bit of combat ability, express his power through the lenses of knowledge, occult practices and bureaucracy, and change face of the world in the course of the campaign.

Keep in mind that Magical Chinamerica, once it hears about you changing the face of the world, is going to send its Magical Navy Seal Super Sentai Team to hunt you down for being a threat to national security, so you should at least have a friend with a bit of combat ability.

Or be very good at running away fast.
>>
>>46938917
As in any venture, always recruit cohorts to fill the gaps in your skillset. Powerful demons, heavenly gods, or entire courts of elementals make good bodyguards if you don't have a combat-ready fellow exalt. So do any less-than-patriotic Chinamerican Kamen Riders that you run into an opportunity to recruit along the way.
>>
>>46938894
>And before you say that souls get cleaned to a 100% blank state that has no base personality or identity between incarnations, the consistent personality traits that crop up from incarnation to incarnation is literally something explicitly tracked for determining qualification to be an Alchemical exalt.

Isn't that because they don't undergo the same cleaning process in Autochthonia that they would in Lethe?
>>
>>46938954
>Isn't that because they don't undergo the same cleaning process in Autochthonia that they would in Lethe?
Nope. Literally the exact same process, just with the added step of going into soul-storing capacitors instead of whatever mysterious limbo souls go to in Creation as they wait to reincarnate. Their memories are wiped clean, but all souls have a fundamental, core personality and identity that follows through from one life to the next.

You get a new Lower Soul - so some of your urges and base desires change - and you're an amnesiac. But your Higher Soul - the part of you that makes you a human instead of an animal, the part of you that's 'you' - remains, sans memories.

And, what's more, the book talks about even non-exalts occasionally (but MUCH more rarely) getting flashes of memories from past lives. Even Lethe isn't perfect (though it might have been before the cycle of reincarnation broke).
>>
>>46938099

You will probably be playing a Solar Exalt for the first time, the default protagonists and currently the only supported splat for 3e.

You are in for being Charlemagne, Hercules, Moses, Elijah, Confucius, Victoria, Caesar, Cleopatra, Einstein, Mozart, Newton, Galileo, Aristotle, Hippocrates, Michelangelo, Merlin, Morgana. Solars are the appointed god-kings of the world, masters of any field of human skill, legends and prophets and heroes and uncontested masters of all they survey. You are the Chosen of the Most High, Champions of the Sun - your will be done!

At least that's the plan. The trouble is that you've just woken up from your metaphorical sleep as king under the mountain, your skills are rusty, your enemies are countless in both number and kind, and all the world stands against you.

In the centre of Creation is the Empire of the Terrestrial Exalted, ruled by the centuries-old Scarlet Empress. The Terrestrials, or Dragon-Blooded, wield the power of the five elements, work in groups, and have the world's largest accumulation of magical infrastructure and powerful artifacts.

At the edges of Creation live the Lunar Exalted, shapeshifters and skinchangers, wielders of both black and white magic, adaptive and resilient monster-men who were second only to the Solars at their height in the First Age. But now you're freshly reincarnated, several Lunars are millennia old, and some of them even hold grudges against you from your previous incarnation.

In the Underworld, the dark mirror of Creation, dwell the Deathlords and their Deathknights with their legions of the undead. In Yu-Shan, which once was called Heaven, are the corrupt gods of the Celestial Bureaucracy, and a nameless enemy erased from all record; and in Malfeas, which is still called Hell, are the titans who built this world before they were imprisoned, and their offspring, the demons.

Good luck.
>>
>>46938099
>>46939102

One more that didn't fit character limit: And beyond the bounds of the world as we know it are the Fair Folk, shapeless creatures of glamour and fantasy and lies. They hate Creation and its permanence and its insistence on a single fixed reality, and would love nothing more than to shred your very world apart and dissolve it into Chaos so that they can retell its history differently every day - and that, then, will be real for the moment if the raksha have their way.
>>
So what's your favourite combo in the game you play?
>>
>>46939667
Towering Beast Form + Hybrid Body Rearrangement.

Because if being able to turn into a tyrannosaurus wasn't awesome enough, how about a two-headed, flying tyrannosaurus that never gets tired, sees spirits with its third eye and can sense people through bioelectricity. Rar.

And veering slightly from "awesome" into "funny", I took the chameleon skin mutation as well. T-rex? What T-rex, there's no T-rex here, you must be hallucinating things.
>>
>>46930340
purest waifu
>>
File: 1384917975999.png (84 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1384917975999.png
84 KB, 700x700
Last two threads we got Yozichton.
What about Autoborn?
>>
>>46939667

Face-Charming Prana + Soul Void Kata
>>
>>46934814
I like this character idea. Good luck to you anon.
>>
>>46940011
You mean the Engine of Extinction?
>>
>>46940090
the what
>>
Has anyone fixed the bookmarks on the release copy? I tried changing them on my copy but I accidentally deleted them all: I am not a clever man.
>>
>>46940098
What Autobot turns into when he dies.
>>
>>46940332
what is there to fix?
>>
>>46940399
You have to open a 'Exalted 3' bookmark that serves no purpose at all, then open the chapters and THEN click the thing you want. It makes it tiresome to get to specific charms, for instance.

What purpose does the first bookmark serve? Also: Dreaming Pearl isn't bookmarked.
>>
Could someone give me a link to a vendor selling the 3E book? Haven´t found anything myself.
>>
>>46940554
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/
>>
>>46940591
Thanks, anon. Checking it out now.
>>
>>46921042

You know, I wonder if there will be any modules for Exalted 3E. Or is it impossible to make modules for this game? Because a Circle of Solars can deal with almost any threat they would reasonably run into. Even RotSE mostly focused on the broad strokes, but that was mostly because they had a lot of shit to cover.

Still, I'd like a proper campaign. Or more stuff like the 1E Castebooks.
>>
>>46940729
They're releasing an intro adventure for it 'this year'.
>>
>>46940742

That would be awesome. I can't help but think that this game lends itself slightly more to the 'broad strokes' of some Pendragon adventure modules, where it's the characters that are the most important part of things. (As compared to the excellent Call of Cthulu modules, which are very detail-orientated.)
>>
>>46940729

I think RotSE is the closest you get, really. Especially with Solars, it's really a sandboxy game. Dragon-Blooded and Sidereals are a possibility - both are constrained by their position in a hierarchy, and can be guided along a bit more. Even Abyssals have Deathlord masters, although the degree of control they can assert varies.

But Solars and Infernals...they're pretty much wildcards.

As I found , when my Solar group decided to use a re-awakened, sentient hive-mind disease as biological warfare instead of, you know, containing it.
>>
File: kutchers.gif (624 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
kutchers.gif
624 KB, 500x375
>>46940742
>They're releasing an intro adventure for it 'this year'.
>>
>>46940801

From my experience, Infernals need the most set-up, because Infernals are mostly about spite. Like, raw, unalloyed "Now I have power, I'm back to fuck you over" spite. Sort of like Count of Monte Cristo, except way more evil.

Infernal opening scenarios would generally be about someone's gruesome revenge fantasy come to life. It's also a great tutorial level, because the new Infernal can just tear through anything (With Excellencies alone) that would reasonably oppose him.

Once they've gotten revenge out of their system, then they can go to Malfeas and meet everyone else.
>>
>>46940801
>As I found , when my Solar group decided to use a re-awakened, sentient hive-mind disease as biological warfare instead of, you know, containing it.
Blacklight 2.0, now featuring Essence
>>
Could a Dawn infect himself with the Puppeteer Plague to gain XP from fighting against his own skeleton?
>>
>>46940845
>Sort of like Count of Monte Cristo, except way more evil.
Infernals aren't more 'evil' than any other splat, and the Count was ruthless as fuck until a child died.
>>
>>46940850
Alex Mercer might be a good example of an Infernal, yes? Maybe a Defiler in service to Metagaos?
>>
>>46940850

I feel I'm supposed to get this reference, but I don't.
>>
>>46940913

Not really. Alex is just too 'blank' to be a proper Infernal. Remember, Infernal powers are from the setting's equivalent of Hell. Alex wasn't driven by spite, he was just confused and trying to figure out what was going on. Sure, he ended up killing thousands of people, but it was a Mr. Bean kind of thing. ("Gawsh, I sure hope I'm doing the right thing.")

He's really more of a Liminal than anything else. Fuck Prototype 2, though.
>>
>>46940965
I'd love to play him as a lunar, taking heart's blood to disguise myself as npcs, dbt and stuff for the different forms he'd take on.
>>
>>46940999

I really was referring more to Alex not in fact being Alex, but a viral copy.
>>
>>46940999
I think if he was a Lunar he'd be a prime example of why getting Vitriol in your Moonsilver Tats is a bad thing. No one really knows HOW he got the Vitriol to begin with or why he thought injecting it so close to his tattoos was good idea.
>>
>>46941029
Sure, but in play you get most of the other stuff through lunar and have that as a character element.
>>
It'll be interesting to see if Liminals really explore the body horror stuff that was never a perfect fit for Lunars.
>>
>>46940965
>it was a Mr. Bean kind of thing. ("Gawsh, I sure hope I'm doing the right thing.")
Yahtzee, what are you doing shitposting on a Mongolian cave painting debate hall?
>>
>>46940845
I've literally never played an Infernal whose backstory warranted any kind of revenge. My favorite Infernal that I've played, for example, was an architect and geomancer. He had designed a manse that would give his people good health and huge crop yields for centuries to come. But in his hubris he rushed the design and building, determined to see it finished within his own lifetime.

As a result, the finished product was full of faults in its design, causing all of his people to slowly wither away and die.

He was the final survivor, himself slowly dying as well as he sat in empty streets of the charnel house that his great and perfect magnum opus had become.

When offered the chance - the power - to make sure that nothing like that ever happened again as long as he was there to fix it? He accepted the demon's offer without hesitation, the arrogant fool.

Every Infernal's backstory should read like a Greek tragedy, with some climactic failure after a wild ride, not just some betrayal for which they need to seek revenge. An Infernal's exaltation is when Oedipus puts out his eyes, when Juliet finds Romeo needlessly poisoned, when the character has reached their lowest point and by their own hand.
>>
If I'm using only a Dragon Sigh Wand, which is better, Righteous Devil or Archery?
>>
>>46942089
Depends on whether or not your GM rules that certain reload/ammo-related Archery charms work on fire weapons.
>>
>>46942089
You can use either, but Righteous Devil will make you want to homebrew less.
>>
Why is the Guild pigeonholed into being a de facto antagonist for the PCs? Nearly every other Exalted group I know does this shit.

It's annoying, honestly.
>>
The Guild aren't monolithic enough in our game to be antagonists. My character has at least one Factor out to get him, but it doesn't look like his intent is violent so far.

As for why it happens, it's probably because they trade in everything which means if you look at them as though they ARE a monolithic entity then they're some of the worst people in the world. The drug and slave trade is only the start of it, they sell people to the Fae to have their souls eaten and then buy them back.
>>
>>46942821
I think they're sort of a starting antagonist until you're set to take on genuine threats to Creation.
>>
>>46942821
They're questgivers just as often as they're antagonists, in my experience.
>>
>>46942821
>Why is the Guild pigeonholed into being a de facto antagonist for the PCs?
Because the knee-jerk reaction is to hate slavers, drug dealers, and capitalist pigs.

When of course the truth of the matter is that the Guild is decentralized to the point that any given Factor probably isn't involved in anything repugnant, and might actually be staggeringly useful to an exalt.

'The Guild' is like saying 'Dragon-blooded;' their operations should always be looked at on a case by case basis, because they aren't actually a unified front.
>>
>>46942821
Because it's easier than thinking.
Had to spend 5 minutes going through Captcha's bullshit 'click rivers until no rivers remain' then door numbers, rivers, door numbers and finally fucking signs.
>>
>>46943139
I guess that's a sign of the times.
>>
>>46940742

I wanna see if I can do that too.

Adventure modules are worthless most of the time, but for absolute beginner GM's, idea mining for moderate/veteran level GM's, and getting the setting right I believe they're invaluable for that alone.
>>
File: 19c089cerh77ejpg.jpg (295 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
19c089cerh77ejpg.jpg
295 KB, 640x360
>>46937465
I've got 'em, JJ!
>>
What is the most "duelist" (as in, focused on single enemies as opposed to groups) Martial Arts style that is compatible with unarmed strikes?
>>
>>46942821
OBVIOUSLY you don't understand THE GENIUS of the plan laid out by the MAESTROS John and Holden.

Your PLEBEIAN mind could not possibly GRASP the greatness that has been prepared FOR YOU in these EVIL CAPITALISTS.

I mean they even practice SLAVERY like every civilization since EVER.

Truly this is a MASTERWORK.
>>
>>46943756
Probably Snake Style, I guess? I mean, that's some super fucking vague shit right there. The only group-focused martial art is White Reaper.
>>
>>46943793
>Probably Snake Style
!
>>
What's a good way to word a principle to get rid of the anathema stigma, eliminate wyld hunts for solars and lunars, and bring about general fair treatment of exalts?
I'd like it to include all exalts, but maybe not abyssals?
>>
>>46943782
What does it have to do with Holden and Morke? Why are you capitalising random words?
>>
>>46944465

I'd probably have the principle include all Exalts, and then have a conflicting Intimacy re: Abyssals, things of the dead, etc., so that the character can feel conflicted over the hypocrisy of it if it gets pointed out.

"I will show the Realm that the Chosen are heroes, not enemies" is already a challenging Principle, and then separately, "Things of the dead are abhorrent" or whatever.

Then the two butt heads when they see a heroic Abyssal and it's good drama.
>>
>>46944465

Rid the world of Solar and Lunars forever.

No more hunts, Anathema become a buried memory, and treatment is fair for other Exalts.
>>
>>46944465

Demolish the Realm, dissolve the great houses, and abolish the Immaculate Faith. How can you bring about fair treatment for Exalts when some are made for certain roles and they occupy different tiers of power?
>>
>>46944465
"Even though I'm one of the most powerful beings in Creation, I somehow still think of myself as a victim."
>>
>>46944891
The character lost their old circle to a wyld hunt, and although they're not scared of them, the character would really appreciate other new exalts not go through that shit.
>>
>>46942985
The Guild isn't decentralised, it has a council of leaders controlling everything
>>
>>46944968
It has a council of leaders ostensibly with final authority, but the overwhelming majority of all guild operations have extremely limited communication with any other guild operations, and even less communication back to guild leadership.

The Guild is made up of decentralized cells of economic power, which theoretically report back to a central authority but in practice rarely do so.
>>
File: reasonable immaculate.png (84 KB, 969x472) Image search: [Google]
reasonable immaculate.png
84 KB, 969x472
>>46944891
>>
File: tumblr_nljx4sLixI1rmrviuo1_1280.jpg (216 KB, 800x1185) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nljx4sLixI1rmrviuo1_1280.jpg
216 KB, 800x1185
I'm just joining my first exalted game of 3e and am looking to play a Survival supernal tiger stylist with some ride charms thrown in because they sound cool and go with the character. What are the essential charms I need to pick up to survive and not suck, and how much freedom do I have to specialize in survival, ride, and tiger style to the exclusion of most other trees given my combat heavy role?
>>
>>46944994
>but in practice rarely do so

Then how do they stay in boss?
>>
>>46944955
Your character got the tiniest taste of how much life sucks for everyone else, and still your character's empathy only extends toward the least needy beings in the entire world.
>>
>>46945017
>Then how do they stay in boss?
By being the dudes to which wealth trickles up in the Scavenger Lands. The closest thing to contact that most Guild operations ever have with the central authorities is paying Guild Dues to their next-higher-up Guild contact, and so on and so forth on up the chain.

It's a pyramid scheme from which you can request small business loans and occasionally a mercenary army if your venture is sufficiently profitable.
>>
>>46945027
They have a bunch of other intimacies, including protecting innocents etc.
It's not about seeing themself as a victim so much as wanting to protect their kind as a personal cause.
I'm aware the character needs to check their exalt privilege around the starving mortals.
>>
>>46945027
>the tiniest taste of how much life sucks for everyone else
You know, aside from the taste that was the decades of their life pre-exaltation.

Most player characters have been mortals for a much larger percent of their life than they've been exalted.
>>
>>46945084
Oh yeah, this too, the character in question is 50 and wants to keep younger exalts grounded and not let shit get to their head.
>>
>>46945084
So much this. Too often people talk about 'Solars' or 'Lunars' like they're cultural/ethnic blocks comparable to nations, ethnicities, or entire fantasy races.

They're just some human dude who, after ~15-100 years of being a mortal human, now has super powers.
>>
>>46945084
>tfw dynast who never exalted but later becomes a Solar
>never had to struggle or starve
>dat smug grin when your cousin Lotus Bulb who used to bully you comes to hunt you down
>>
>>46945063
The main problem with the idea is that "Exalts" is such a broad category as to be completely meaningless. You want the Wyld Hunt to stop and the Immaculate religion to be destroyed - that makes sense. But losing some friends to a Wyld Hunt is not enough to make you suddenly identify with every one of the ever-increasing grab bag of different kinds of Exalts. After all some of them are behind the hunt, and many of them have nothing to do with it.
>>
>>46945000

You can only buy three Tiger Style charms at Essence 1, Ride allows you to substitute dodge as long as you're riding an animal. Pick up light armour, even if it's mundane.

A few other things, would you be willing to swap out Tiger Style for Archery? Being mounted will allow you to snipe people from far away, safely. What animal are you using as your familiar? Also, Supernal Survival means that you're a Zenith, right? Don't be surprised if the Dawn is better in combat than you, and don't completely forsake social skills, it's what your characters caste is for.
>>
>>46945027
Those stupid mud-caked toothless peasant can eat shit, figuratively because they already eat literal shit.

You give them peace and safety, and they moan you're being oppressive and authoritarian.

You give them enough food that they'll never want for the rest of their life, they complain about the taste.

You give them wonders far beyond what their pea brains can even dream, they ask where's the bordello.

And even though you give them the best standards of living in Creation, they'll start rioting because it's still not enough and it will never be.

So fuck 'em. I'll use them as cheap labor to make my wonders, and fuel to power them, and spare parts for my medical projects. That's as much as they deserve.

Soon, my beautiful lady. Soon your song of harmony will fill the world. Soon your name will be in their mouths and their minds. Soon.
>>
>>46944515
Everything's Holden and Morke's fault, apparently, including things that were written before their time and aren't faulty to begin with.
>>
>>46945152
You can have some sense of camaraderie with the chosen of other gods, that you've all been given a divine mandate, right and goal to serve them.
Dragonblooded are different because they have an infrastructure to support and teach them.
Maybe you could just set up something similar to the silver pact to find and nurture young exalts.
>>
>>46945179
>Ride allows you to substitute dodge as long as you're riding an animal
Can I have a page citation? I thought that was only for disengage.
>>
>>46945184
See, that point of view I can understand. Exalted is the perfect opportunity to play out some good old-fashioned might-makes-right sociopathy. It's a game squarely founded on the very common fantasy that you're better than everyone else and the people who hate you are just jealous. What irks me is the people who play characters who are supposed to be all sweetness and goodness but in practice are no better than the sociopaths.
>>
>>46945179
I managed to swindle a robot tiger artifact out of my dm which I was thinking about using as a familiar, hence the tiger style for combat and the ride charms. At this point I've just been picking stuff that sounds cool for the character as I am out of my comfort zone since moving to 3e, In 2.5e I knew what I needed to buy to cover the basics and survive when building characters, but none of my group has played 3e yet so I dont really have any reference for important charms/abilities to buy.
>>
>>46940965
>Alex wasn't driven by spite, he was just confused and trying to figure out what was going on.
True
He did get a soft spot on Alex's sister Dana, though.
>>
>>46945368
>robot tiger artifact
GAOLEON!
>>
What are botches? 0 Successes with a 1?
>>
>>46946026
ya
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.