[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blue Mage DnD 5ed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: Quina_Quen_character.jpg (627 KB, 994x1242) Image search: [Google]
Quina_Quen_character.jpg
627 KB, 994x1242
I'm currently in a debacle with how to homebrew a blue mage type class for the players of my campaign. Like the final fantasy series, the PC who is a blue mage would absorb the skill of an enemy if they were 1) Struck with said spell, 2) Observe the spell well enough to understand it's workings 3) Eat the enemy of said skill

I would also like to make it to where this is a versatile class that isn't just a squishy caster with high risk low reward.

I like the idea of them being a sort of hybrid class as either a rogue with a curved sword and the ability to absorb skills after killing them or a thief with a dagger that can pilfer skills from the enemy without killing them. The type of absorption is up to the player but I like the idea of DEX+INT casters that can be badass without having to rely on magics.

Any help?
>>
File: confuse.png (361 KB, 473x675) Image search: [Google]
confuse.png
361 KB, 473x675
>>46845506
So basically want a character who can learn every type of magical skill in the game without really having to learn it? Yeah, that's totally balanced-sounding.
>>
Not anything that strong. I'm thinking monster skills, not just any magic on a whim.
>>
>>46845506
I think spellthief from 3.5 would fit that well, but I've no idea how hard/bad a translation would be
>>
>>46845599
>>46845606
Ah nvm then iirc it only works against spellcasters not creatures
>>
>>46845606
See, I've messed with spellthief in 3.5 but it doesn't quite flow how I'd like it to. You either get one skill you really like or a really shitty one you absolutely hate. I'd like the blue mage to have a spell limit and they have to be very careful with what spells they want to retain.
>>
>>46845575
not OP but I'd like to think more of the Twinrova fight from OOT than FFV blue mages
>>
File: 1435538356501.jpg (113 KB, 700x634) Image search: [Google]
1435538356501.jpg
113 KB, 700x634
Arcane Tricksters can attempt to steal a spell with their level 17 feature, but it's somewhat limited and also way high up there.
You could be a Moon Druid, giving you combat wildshape, so you could transform into animals you've seen up to a CR based on your level, and eventually elementals at level 10, and Alter Self at will at 14. Just suck your DM's dick so he gives you a magic item, boon, or feat that allows you to transform into Monstrosities, Abberations, etc, potentially limited by CR or getting one use after eating them or whatever assorted baggage.
>>
File: duckhands.jpg (66 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
duckhands.jpg
66 KB, 500x499
It's a bonkers idea. Not impossible! Just insane.

Thing is, in a jrpg like Final Fantasy, both PCs and monsters have "skills," specific combat moves. That's less true in D&D. In FF, ogres might have the "head bash" ability, and you could learn that ability from them. In D&D, ogres don't have a skill list, they're just huge and ugly and strong.

But, with a good DM, you could make this work. If I was running, I'd base the class on Bard, mechanically. I'd use the spells in the PHB, letting you learn spells that thematically fit things you experienced in combat. I'd probably reduce your spells-per-day to make up for your access to an expanded spell list.
>>
File: 1_Boss.jpg (545 KB, 1736x2456) Image search: [Google]
1_Boss.jpg
545 KB, 1736x2456
>>46845665
As much as I like that idea and I'll probably make that a boss enemy of some sort, I'm thinking more in the ballpark of

"(Boss/Throwaway Monster) uses entangle, you're rooted in place unless you break free, take (insert damage equation here) damage per turn till you break out,"

Magics that alter the battle more so than altering yourself. Similar to how Final Fantasy has all their weird magics like Matra Magic or White Wind.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d5)

>>46845506
>>
http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/05/blue-mage.html

Seems a good start.
>>
>>46845506
It's a pretty neat idea, but would be hard to balance. The easiest way I see it done would be to give you empty spell slots, the amount and level of which would increase by level, and if you get hit by a spell of a level you have empty spell slots available (or succeed in an Arcana check when the spell is cast near you), you learn that spell.

But the end result would pretty much make you a shitty wizard/sorcer, whose spells known would be heavily limited based on what spellcasting enemies you fight. You could potentially learn spells not normally available to wizards and sorcerers, though, but I'm not sure how useful that actually would be.
>>
>>46845506
>Hey I wanna use [Hyper Specialized System] to play [Something Outside That Specialization]
>Guys, I want to use Werewolf The Apocalypse to create a Magical Girl clan who transform into different outfits instead of different forms
>I want to use FIGHT! The Fighting Game RPG to run a grity Game of Thrones style low fantasy. What sort of move elements should I add?

Maybe you should use a system actually suited to what you want.

These threads don't work as well for 5e as they did for 4e or 3e,

in 3e, everything was so off the wall, and the balance band was so wide, you could homebrew without fear of missing too bad, because you were guaranteed to still not be as broken as core. in 5e, the balance band is much tighter, so making workable homebrew requires a lot more work and playtesting that could be spent finding a system actually suited to what you want to play.

In 4e, the fluff and crunch were separate enough that you could make almost any concept work with refluff, just as long as it didn't require true "not landing after every turn" flight before level 24. In 5e, fluff and crunch are, quite intentionally, inseparable, so the refluff homebrew doesn't work nearly as smooth... I mean it CAN work, but a lot of hiccups come up, like why your warlord speeches are susceptible to dispel magic.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.