[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Party Cohesion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_0201.png (1 MB, 660x813) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0201.png
1 MB, 660x813
How do you get your players to come up with personal relationships with each other's characters or backgrounds that are intertwined?

Too many times I have one guy who says something like "My character wouldn't be adventuring with you people".

Any good systems that encourage this?
>>
>>46844050
As a player, I tend to make joint backstories with a buddy of mine.

It's more fun that way.
>>
>>46844086
I feel like it is always more fun for everyone involved. But I always end up with five lone rangers, so to speak.

Or more truthfully, people of differing ideologies that have little reason to want to undertake quests for the same motive or even the same kind of plot hooks.
>>
>>46844156
Steal a page from Samurai Flamenco's book and have some ancient sage scouted five "chosen champions" without realizing they can't ALL be the chosen champion/party leader.
>>
Current game mostly takes place in and around the same town, and all the characters are residents. That said, while it works for all of the other characters, my dude still has to be dragged along to adventuring.
>>
Why not just throw them all in prison together and force them to work together to get out?
>>
>>46844050

My DM made it so all of our characters entered the world together. As for the rest of the campaign we have similar goals
>>
Game I'm in started with us all in an army moving to battle. People were free to make up whatever backstory they wanted, but had to detail how they got caught up in the war IE conscripted, volunteered, alternative prison sentence etc.

The we all knew each other due to already fighting together for a couple years, and because of PLOT we are now rebels chasing McGuffins and prepping to fight a force of ancient evil.
>>
File: IMG_0338.jpg (216 KB, 1920x1149) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0338.jpg
216 KB, 1920x1149
Are there any systems that actually encourage people to build characters together in unique ways?
>>
>>46844050
>Any good systems that encourage this?
FATE forces you to make backstories together and involve the people sitting next to you. Even when we play non-FATE we took the lessons we learned during FATE to heart.
>>
>>46845729

I run a homebrew that forces parties together well. Which explains why I have a Ninja, Garren 2.0, a Cleric, a Necromancer, Communist-tan, and the second comming of Nimitz.

Somehow.
>>
>>46844050
I base them off real relationships.
>>
>>46845729
>>46844050
Dread has stuff in character creation where you have questions like "You know a secret about [other character], what is it?"

I've been thinking of doing this for a D&D party, seems like a really neat way to generate some roleplaying opportunities and concepts right off the bat.
>>
>>46844050
You don't need a mechanic, you just need to note the character who refuses to be part of the party, run game for the party, and ignore that guy until it either plays nice or goes the fuck away.
Either way, you win.
>>
>>46844050
1. Make sure that the players have both short term and long term goals
2. Make sure that none of the short term goals segue into a pause of adventuring
3. Make sure that all of the goals REQUIRE exceptional help to accomplish (none of this "I just want to see the world" crap)
4. In lieu of 3, make sure that the players make a deal with one another
5. Make sure that no short term goals contradict one another, and make sure that any long term goals that contradict are between consenting players
6. Accept that if a player still says "My character wouldn't be adventuring with you people," that they aren't a team player and they deserve to be kicked
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.