[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do Magic the Gathering players justify 'removal'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: daa.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
daa.gif
2 MB, 320x240
How do Magic the Gathering players justify 'removal' as a balanced mechanic? Creatures are worthless when you can drop two mana to vaporize basically anything. With combat, there's no way to force somebody to block, but with removal spells you can pick and choose exactly how you want something to die, repeatedly.

'Dies to removal' is a legitimate complaint about the quality of a card, because anything that isn't removal is sub-optimal.
>>
Removal does not help you win, it only helps you not lose.

If you build a deck that turns dudes sideways to win, then you will be able to just win by attrition unless your deck sucks and has a bunch of things that are not dudes to turn sideways.
>>
Counters to removal are plenty and various. Even if a single creature is vulnerable to removal, all you need to do is either force the enemy's hand, deny them the option.
Or just enchant your damn creatures. Hexproof is readily available.
>>
>>46829548
>I don't know how to counter X, so the entire game sucks because X exists!
>>
>>46829548
are you fucking retarded? Creatures have long term value, they can block and kill smaller creatures, they can trade up for higher mana cost creatures, they can do damage every single turn until they are dealt with. If your opponent plays a spell to remove it, they are spending 1 card to remove 1 card, losing tempo by not playing creatures and not improving their board state. Are you new to magic or just card games in general?
>>
>>46829548
>'Dies to removal' is a legitimate complaint about the quality of a card, because anything that isn't removal is sub-optimal.

So an optimal deck has nothing but land and removal spells? Try building that and see how it goes.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 500x238) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 500x238
>mfw I can't make a deck without removal
>my green decks have at least 4 creature removal spells
>I try to use multipurpose removal (damage, permanent, enchantment or artifact) because I'm casual and afraid my Oh Shit card might not be useful ALL of the time

Dies to removal.
Can be bounced.
Cancel cancels it.
Can be milled.
Can die to fatal damage.
Doesn't return itself from exile.
Can be targeted by spelled and abilities.
I might not draw it.

I think OP is right. Every card in Magic is terrible because it can be stopped under certain circumstances, and every card in Magic is amazing because it has the ability to negate a potential downside.
>>
>>46830460
It can work. Just use manlands and Awaken spells as your win conditions, and you've got the start of a decent control deck.
>>
>>46829548
Butthurt greenfag detected
>>
If you don't have removal, the only way to deal with creatures is your own creatures. Removal gives you more options for viable decks.
>>
>>46833143
Green has more feature focused removal via forcing two creatures to fight and turning enemy creatures into useless ones. Let's of course not forget direct artifact, enchantment, and flying removal as well. Hell, some green decks can even pull off some decent burn damage by recasting Hornet Sting over and over again.
>>
>>46832040
>decent

Have fun getting subpar effects and 3/3 creatures on turn 7 for all your mana.
>>
File: careful bait.jpg (47 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
careful bait.jpg
47 KB, 625x626
>>46829548
>no way to force somebody to block
stopped reading here.
>>
>>46829756
It helps you not lose until you win. Just keep removing cards until you have enough mana to play your win condition. They can't stop it because their win condition is in the graveyard.

Turn dudes sideways is the hardest way to win. Burn until you drop in an Eldrazi is far safer.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.