[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TCG NEWS: Elder Scrolls legend - MTG IS DYING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
Elder Scrolls legends was finally revelead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKtxbAmkCtU

It's very much a hearthstone clone with a twist.

In Other news

MTG DECLINES IN Q1 2016, this marks further decline in Magic The Gathering.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13534209/5/hasbro-has-earnings-report-q1-2016-conference-call-transcript.html

we'll call it face-to-face gaming was up a bit, but MAGIC was down in the quarter.
>>
File: o822CCN.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
o822CCN.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
180 revealed cards from elder scrolls legends

http://imgur.com/a/3nATj

You can train cards or something. Not sure, but you can upgrade them.
>>
>>46829134
Why would I not just play Hearthstone? Its a digital and watered version of MtG just like Legends professes to be... Except Blizzard have been making games far longer than Bethesda and it's third party developers. Look that the flop that was ESO.

Magic is still far more complex and diverse than Legends has the potential to be.
>>
>>46829134
Shovelware appreciation thread?
>>
>>46829134
As an elder scrolls fan, this makes me want to kill myself
>>
>>46830370
Well, it won't be worse than Elder Scrolls Online
>>
File: Poor poisoned Argonian.jpg (56 KB, 1024x476) Image search: [Google]
Poor poisoned Argonian.jpg
56 KB, 1024x476
>>46830370
>>46830409
I mean, it can't
>>
>>46829134
Of course MTG is dying. They're NWOing themselves out of the market. Hearthstone will always appeal more to simpler players, because it's a simpler game by heart. MTG will appeal more to experienced players, because it has the potential to be more complicated and more fun.

But instead of embracing that, we get retarded as fuck sets full of limited fodder.
>>
>>46829134
anyone into the game?
>>
how many cards are in total now? also
>hearthstone invented card games
sometimes I fucking hate blizzard.
>>
>>46830457
Wait what.

It's a trick, right, she's trying to trick you isn't she?
>>
>>46833086
oh boy you sure lost all the fun during the first days of TESO.
>>
>>46829134
>MTG DECLINES IN Q1 2016

lol yes that's obvious you goofball

because they changed the release schedule of expansion sets and there was one less set falling in the financial quarter
>>
>>46833180
Hey, don't you know you Hearthstone is killing it? Days of MTG are numbered!
>>
>>46829134
As someone who's a TES fan rather than a TCG fan, this looks really boring.
>>
>>46833284
how exactly?
>>
>>46829134

Man, those are some really boring ass cards. Most of them are just elfs or humans.
>>
>>46833302
The first battle is against Lord Naarifin, who was a Aldmeri commander during the Great War. It that's the story mode, they chose one of the least interesting conflicts for their setting.
I can't speak about lore or setting more than that, since it's just a card game with things from all eras smashed together. But that's the nature of the game, so I don't really have a problem with that.
I also really don't care for the art, but that's just subjective. Way too much generic fantasy art and ESO-inspiration.
Some of the cards have really strange names, but that's just nitpicking.

Mechanics wise it just looks kind of uninteresting.

That said, it's not out yet, and I can't truly know. Maybe it will be good, I just doubt it.
In any case, I've signed up for the beta, so I might get into that.
>>
>>46833414
There's also a lot of strange things going on with the cards. Little details like the fact that Allena Benoch, perhaps the most famous Bosmeri swordfighter, is posing with a bow. It also looks like she has shit stats for no good reason.
This is just nitpicking though, and it doesn't annoy me. I'm just kind of left wondering why some of this happened.
>>
File: NMj6Qss.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
NMj6Qss.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>46833414
>don't care for the art
Some of the cards have some pretty nice art, and I like that the legeonaire looks like something other than 3e Not!Roman
>>
File: vwJYTHs.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vwJYTHs.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>46833606
It's not all bad, but look at things like the Elves. They look incredibly un-inspired.
Even Skyrim managed to remember that Mer aren't just humans with pointy ears.
>>
So apart of this "eh..." game what else do we have in existance?
>>
>>46829849
Because Hearthstone is a cancerous luckfest. Your personal skill practically does not matter. People in the finals of championships have winrates like 56% on ladder.
56%. That's practically a coinflip. Playing the ladder is 100% time investment, and winning tournaments is mostly getting invited to them and then being lucky with your matchups and draws.

I just want a fucking online TCG that's not some stupid fucking gimmick, doesn't look like complete shit and is actually interesting to pay. I'm 100% willing to pay for it if it's not completely fucked with the monetization side. But currently that's fucking impossible to get.
>>
>>46831614

> sets full of limited fodder

It is pretty amazing how you can see Modern decks built with nearly nothing but original Zendikar block cards... then look at most cards printed post 2012.
>>
I just think the card layout is terrible. Sure, you have your artwork nicely big, but they somehow managed to both cram all info together while scattering the info all over the cards as well. Also the format seems oddly narrow, further pushing the claustrophobic feel. It kinda looks as if MTG, or heck, other TCGs, never were a thing to these designers and they just started from 0.
>>
>>46835722
>Because Hearthstone is a cancerous luckfest. Your personal skill practically does not matter. People in the finals of championships have winrates like 56% on ladder.
>56%. That's practically a coinflip.

I'd heard that Hearthstone was pretty awful, but nothing -that- awful. Is there any source for this so I can laugh at some of my friends who are super into it?
>>
>>46836198
Pulled that number from a tournament stream I saw a couple of weeks ago, but after one minute of searching:

http://www.gosugamers.net/hearthstone/rankings

The current number 1 has an alltime of 67%, number two has 64% and number 3 57%.
And these guys often don't make it to the final rounds of tournaments participate in anyway. The game is a fucking joke, literally anyone with enough time and money WILL eventually win a major tournament.
>>
>>46836418
>>46836198
>>46835722
and you're telling me people goes to official tournaments of this RNGfest?
where did everything went so wrong?
>>
>>46836473
Activision Blizzard simply force-started it by making tournaments with large payouts. Large enough that SC2 progamers switched over to Hearthstone by the droves because it's same payout for less work.

Other than that it's a fun game to watch on stream because of blinking lights and lots of rng and stuff, making it attractive for streamers. Hell, the interface looks like it was practically designed with a facecam, donationsbox and other horseshit in mind, because of all the dead space around the gameboard.
>>
>>46833060
Several design decisions are clearly based on Hearthstone in particular.
>>
>>46835722
56% winrate could also mean very good matchmaking algorithms. It all depends on the clustering of games played and won at what ranks. I mean, you could have a very good winrate while ranking up and then have it lower when at Legend rank as they face better players with better decks who are more evenly matched. Also, several of the competitive players spend time playing suboptimal decks that have fun gimmicks. Now, all that said, I definitely agree that Hearthstone is too RNG-based to take seriously in competition.
>>
>>46836688
Or maybe it's that it gets tons of views and is therefore a good investment for sponsors.
>>
>>46836688
Actually, the streamers forced it. Blizzard didn't even make a spectator mode until half a year after release, when people started hosting tournaments pretty much after 2 months. They had to hack a spectator mode out of the players streaming both of their views and then switching and manual overlays.

Blizzard has always said they make games that can be competitive, but it's the community that actually makes the scene.
>>
So, no one. not even TESdrones are interested on this? I mean who else will give it attention?
>>
>>46830457
I thought she specifically survived because she was Argonian in that quest? All her other friends were killed by the poison instantly.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.