[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the door is made of titanium >the lock is made of titanium
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
>the door is made of titanium
>the lock is made of titanium
>the keypad is made of titanium
>the computer case is made of titanium
>>
>>46808570
So hit it with a steel hammer? You do know titaniums weaker than steel right?
>>
>>46808570

>Not letting your players break the everything
>Not using it as an excuse for an extra encounter or two, as creatures are drawn to the sound of shit being broken open
>Not cackling as you describe the wondrous artifact, now split in two because of the warrior's axe
>>
File: Titanium_Elemental.png (26 KB, 295x281) Image search: [Google]
Titanium_Elemental.png
26 KB, 295x281
>Is clearly an Elemental.
>Is clearly casting Banish.
>>
>>46808599
I'll do this the next time he tries this but it's thinly veiled fiat so we'll see. We've dissuaded him from doing this in D&D by taking the adamantine shit and selling it every time.

Also, annoying GM habits thread.
>>
>>46808570

Well, their security ain't nowhere near as tough as titanium. I'll run a lockpick program and have it open in six seconds.
>>
>>46808617
Or this. Hit it with a steel axe. Or a properly tempered iron axe. Hell you could probably get it with bronze after a bit.
Titaniums only as strong as low grade steel at most but 60% the density.
>>
File: fuckyouimout.gif (1 MB, 260x173) Image search: [Google]
fuckyouimout.gif
1 MB, 260x173
>>46808570
>this random spot in the middle of a forest, with no sign of civilization past or present for miles around, just happens to have a permanent Antimagic Field
>>
>>46808657
>The titanium is laminated in diamond
>>
>>46809219
Even okay? diamonds extraordinarily brittle. Think glass but easier as its simply not designed for sharp impacts.
This is why steel is used damn near everywhere just so we're clear.
>>
>>46809262
Why did my phone add even before okay?
>>
>>46809219
We're gonna take what we can and sell it.
>>
>>46809297
Aww shit i should have thought of that instead of fucking smashing it. Or would smashing it make it easier for transport? Also don't forget the titanium that shits rarer than aluminum in medieval times.
>>
>>46808947
>Countless aeons ago, at this exact spot, the great heros of a forgotten age battled against the great Elder Lich for the fate of all life in the known and unknown worlds.
>The dark master of arcane evil had given his soul to the primordial darkness, evolving beyond the need for a phylactery, and beyond all reason, his mind ascended, or descended depending on your perspective, to be at one with the elder things beyond the cosmos.
>At the foot of his grave, now eternally tainted with the dark half-life corpse of this engine of chaos, the arcane masters of the lost empire give their lives and souls to cast an eternal ward, their spirits standing vigil over this cursed spot for all time, never again permitting the fabric of magic to touch this spot tainted by the Lich for fear of his return.

>A million years later.
>What the fuck do you mean there's an anti-magic field? It's a weed infested clearing in the middle of a forest!
>>
>>46808570
>>46808617
See, I just let my players break and burn everything they thought was a spy camera or secret microphone bug and then deal with the political and relationship fallout with their hosts. And they missed the most obvious surveillance setup: the robot that their hosts provided for their use.
>>
File: 1461029274352.jpg (20 KB, 307x352) Image search: [Google]
1461029274352.jpg
20 KB, 307x352
>king is ten levels higher than us
>as are guards
>in this dinky little bumblefuck kingdom, a demigod rules
>>
>>46809314
Yeah fuck it imma just burn the forest down.
>>
>>46809322
Why would you even need to know his level? UNLESS YOU WERE PLANNING TO FIGHT HIM!?
>>
>>46809322
"I need YOU to go kill the BBEG before he ends the world!!!"
"....why don't you and your guards do it you're like 80 times stronger than we are."
"Uuuuh buhhh umm its...uh. Hm. Its not my job?"
"You're the fucking kill and last i checked the world included your damn kingdom."
>>
>>46809338
Well yeah. Why build my own kingdom when there's a ready made one already set up and running.
>>
File: 1376680740389.jpg (52 KB, 242x335) Image search: [Google]
1376680740389.jpg
52 KB, 242x335
>>46809366
>>
>>46808570
I go in the opposite direction. The good stuff is never in the fancy chest. It's in a small wooden box or a pile of skeletal remains where the last user failed to, well, use it.

The fancy chest is a mimic. It's always a mimic. The mimic also always contains exactly what the person who opened it would consider most useful or appealing in that moment.

Party finds a big, gilded chest atop a small podium illuminated by the light of a crystal formation above, glistening in the darkness. The fighter opens it and finds a jewel encrusted adamantine warhammer lodged in the chest with its handle held out towards him, as if beckoning him closer, the thong of the handle swaying lightly in the still air as if it were in a breeze.

>I PICK IT UP, SHIT YEA A NEW HAMME-

>The handle becomes fluid in your grip, its texture turning moist and warm in your hands, and you see a large tongue wrap around your arm up to your shoulder and pull you in. Teeth protrude from the rim of the chest and they sink into your shoulder as it bites down.

>OH GOD OH GOD SHITSHITSHIT I PULL IT OFF WHY WON'T IT GET OFF OH GOD OH GOD, IT PICK IT UP
>Asks to roll grapple, I rule he is already grappled, but he can roll strength at disadvantage to overpower it and move it
>He rolls two 20s
>He picks up the mimic
>He proceeds to slam it repeatedly against the floor and walls until it lets go
>The rest of the party, seemingly forgetting about their weapons, form a circle around it and proceed to kick and stomp it to death
>>
>>46808570
I break the wall immediately surrounding this stupid door.
>>
>>46808599
What? No its isnt. Unless you're talking about pure titanium, which even then is still stronger than just about any non-modern steel.

The PCs should just take the titanium and sell it as scrap. That shit resales for a pretty penny.
>>
File: 1401839736735.jpg (17 KB, 335x363) Image search: [Google]
1401839736735.jpg
17 KB, 335x363
>>46809262
>>46808599
>>46808675

What would make a great material for a sword? That includes most modern or even futuristic materials. I was actually thinking on giving a character a sword made of titanium taken from the "chariot used by the gods" that's actually a spacecraft.

I'm mostly wondering about a hard and durable material usable for a longsword that wouldn't require a replacement even after months or years of use
>>
>>46809506
Good times
>>
>>46809571
You're an idiot. Commercially available titanium has the same tensile strength of low grade steel. Titanium alloys can reach modern grade steel tensile strength. Higher grade steel alloys will be stronger. This is fact don't be a fucking ignorant retard who buys into "muh titaniums god metal!" Meme. The only reason titanium is hailed as amazing as its a much lighter alternative to steel while maintaining similar tensile strength giving around a 1.8 times higher strength to weight ratio.
>>
>>46809585
As far as I know, steel really is the best for a sword. There have been numerous advances in metallurgy though, so modern steel is much better than medieval steel.
>>
>>46809338
At least from my experience, when the king tried to force us to do his dirty work collecting some MacGuffins, we demanded a reward. The GM wouldn't even throw us a damn "all right, I'll give you some gold" - he just straight-up threatened to kill us off and said "guys these guards are like 12th level, you're not going to win this"
Thankfully he recognized that was bullshit and scrapped the whole arc, then we ate pizza and made fun of one player's anime preferences for the rest of the night.
>>
>>46809506
On skimming I thought you were being a That GM but that's fucking hilarious.
>>
>>46809262
> The diamond laminated titanium has a layer of dragonforce around it, the world's hardest metal.
>>
>>46809585
Modern steel, basically.

Titanium's too light and pure titanium will be weaker than a modern steel blade of the same size anyway.
>>
>>46809585
Steel or some fantasy metal.
Theres a whole 4 threads all capped out about the uses of various metals in medieval armor. I'll save you 800 replies of titanium fags getting BTFO.
titanium has to much flex, is slightly softer than most steel alloys, and doesn't have the same heft as steel does making steel a better weapon material.
For armor titanium was tested in combat reenactments and led to serious injuries for the wearers despite the armor coming out no worse for wear. The guys who made the armor put it under a slowmo camera and what was happening was the titanium armor flexed enough to touch the flesh and bone of the wearer letting the force through before popping back to its original shape. You could laminate it but then you're just adding back the thickness and weight you were saving by not using steel.
The only thing titanium has over steel is that if you laminate steel and titanium just right you can make a blade that "self sharpens" by having the various metals wear away in a controlled pattern that roughly keeps the blade geometry as it goes however it will still need honing and occasional sharpening to actually make it sharp, if this was used in combat or in situations where the blade would get nicked you'd have to resharpen the whole bevel or else that nick will also wear at the same or higher rate.

Tl;dr steel will almost always be a better alternative that titanium in weapons and armor
>>
>>46809585
Steel, but it would be a certain type of modern steel. Schola Gladiatoria had a video on this, he's probably the one guy who knows what he's talking about, since he's an actual expert and is a normalfag who doesn't play RPGs.
>>
File: calm_down.png (2 MB, 931x707) Image search: [Google]
calm_down.png
2 MB, 931x707
>>46809664
I would probably let my DM get away with that.
>>
>>46809613
>>46809670
>>46809684
>>46809686

Thanks a lot guys, I love you all
>>
>>46809664
Break the surrounding wall. Does dragonforce transfer energy? Cause i could hit the outside and if it deforms even a little that diamonds shattering. how much is dragon force worth per ounce and whats its density?
>>
>>46809686
>scholagladioatoria
Good taste. F U C K LindyBeige, and AFAIR Skallagrim has been uploading way too much unrelated nonsense recently.
>>
>>46809713
>F U C K LindyBeige
F U C K you
>>
>>46809262
Diamond is brittle mostly because you can't find/produce 100% flawless diamond. If you could, it'd be damn near indestructible.
>>
>>46809732
>diamonds of the gods
>>
>>46809732
Nah its geometry isn't conducive to sharp impact forces that lead to cracks. Like glass that crack spreads fast transfering almost all of the force in a shearing action at the breast of the crack.
The issue is diamond has no flex with which to transfer that energy safely outwards from impact without shattering like tempered steel does. Yes you can make it obscenely hard to crush using incremental force or sharpen the bastard more than any steel ever could but the second you swing it like a blade or have it take a hit like armor it will simply shatter. yes impurities compound this issue but they are not the cause.
>>
File: Dragonforce3.jpg (91 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Dragonforce3.jpg
91 KB, 1024x768
>>46809712
'Tis a pun, anon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3j-ZZ4eDO8
>>
>>46809664
Why is a Power Metal band surrounding that door?
I ask for an autograph.
>>
>>46809782
>Posting the most overrated Dragonforce track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywxm6zLEjFY
Plebeian.
>>
>>46809585
>>46809613
>>46809670
>>46809684
>some fantasy metal.
But what about a Nanite Sword?
Basically, a microscopic Chain blade.
>>
>>46809823
>not realizing that those are exactly the same song
>posting the second most over rated Dragonforce track
>>
File: giphy.gif (326 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
326 KB, 500x269
>>46809823
Heroes of Our Time and Die by the Sword are actually tied for my favorites. I just went with the most recognizable one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5HcE0pJve0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZGeVA0HrTs
>>
>>46808570
A good thing the door is open.
>>
>>46809841
You have to explain how it doesn't snap constantly.
>>
>>46809841
A microscopic chain blade is even more likely to be broken than a regular chain due to it needing less to destroy than it would to nick the blade. It would likely be damaged more easily than a solid blade dulling due to the need for movement at the least reducing the level of metallic bonds you could have, if you could even have any at all.
>>
File: c8b.jpg (104 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
c8b.jpg
104 KB, 600x600
>>46809917
>that totally hilarious GM who metas by leaving out details your characters would notice in <1 second unless they were blind, dumb, and deaf
>>
>>46809970
Not that I don't agree with you.
Isn't that the first thing any normal person would check?
>>
>>46810008
"I check to see if the door is open."
>dm rolls dice "okay which hand do you use?"
"...never mind."
>>
>>46810036
How would that apply to a door made out titanium and how often does that happen to you that you consider checking the door is a stupid move?
>>
>>46809918
>You have to explain how it doesn't snap constantly.
It's a cloud of shredding Nanites...
>>
>>46809970
Sometimes I do this to players that don't let me finish telling them what's going on. If you're going to interrupt me like an asshole, you deserve whatever happens to you.

If players are genuinely paying attention and they try to do something that wouldn't make any sense, I try to clear up the confusion though.
>>
>>46810103
Either the nanites have to make a solid enough wall to:
A. Do damage
B. Be solid enough to not just be thrown by the sheer force of such a relatively huge impact and gust of wind
Which leads to many of them getting hit and destroyed like any lesser solid material would or they'd:
A. Not do any appreciable damage
B. Get blown away by the relatively huge impact and gust of wind

Nanites will never be the answer simply because they're tiny and therefore easily broken when compared to larger solid materials.
>>
>>46810074
It applies to any closed door to check the handle to see if its locked or not.
Also the DM tends to roll for literally no reason to "maintain suspense" that way we can't determine if we fucked up until the action happens.
>>
>>46809322
As a DM, I placed the king as a level 11 paladin whose theoretical fight with the party would likely be a throw-up.
The reason why he doesn't stride into battle so quickly himself is because if he dies his kingdom collapses around him. His daughter is a level 3~5 sorceress with a bard 3 prince consort and he would die to keep them alive. He nearly fucking blew up when his grandson got kidnapped, but the people who captured the kid both weren't willing to kill or hurt the child and wouldn't have dared to do it anyways, because they were negotiating for peace. He was also away at the time handling strategy, so he didn't get his chance to have the court magician teleport him to his grandson.
He returned within the day and would have been on the warpath the next, but the PCs had the kid safe by that point. It's been an interesting campaign.
>>
>>46809322
I once played a Knight who hit level twenty.
At the end of the campaign, she went straight back home and continued her life of travelling between the local towns helping out in odd jobs and doing small quests for the locals.

Come our latest campaign based over a century later, she's now an itinerant lord of the lands; still smacking goblin ambushers upside the head and helping build houses for her people.

To locate her we pretended to be highwaymen and have her come to us.
Despie it being an act she still forced us to a week indentured servitude assisting her.
>>
>>46810163
Also realistically nanites would fail spectacularly if exposed to high heat. They should stand up to getting beat around rather well though.
>>
>>46810177
But not to doors made of titanium with keypads that is probably not in a senseless dungeon.
Also who would try smashing a door before looking for traps anyway if you are in a trap plagued place?
>>
File: mfw cooper.jpg (29 KB, 375x266) Image search: [Google]
mfw cooper.jpg
29 KB, 375x266
>>46808570
>in the Tomb of Horrors, all the adamant and mithril gates and doors are just magically hardened to resemble these mythical metals, and if removed would lose this enchantment.
>>
>>46809312
Well it depends on how it's connected to the walls.

If you're in a hurry, smash it on the perimeter, abscond with a pane of diamond.
If not, excavate carefully.
>>
>>46808947
>>46809314
Ok what about the other spots, a couple miles to southwest, north and east?
>>
>>46810235
I never said anything about smashing i'm talking about checking to see it the door is locked or not. Our dm would just roll the dice just for asking then ask for confirmation and continue rolling just to make us nervous.
"we type in the code we were given."
>roll
"Are you sure?"
"Yes....?"
>rolls again
>rolls again
"okay it worked. Do you want to to open the door?"
"....yes."
>rolls again
"an acid trap melts your face off."
>>
>>46810338
That's just good DMing though
>>
>>46809603
So what you're saying is that a case of same weight as a steel one would in fact be stronger and the sperging out about how titanium is really sucky is idiotic.
>>
>>46809603
>titanium is as strong as low grade steel
>it's only used because it's stronger than steel

You're gonna have to elaborate m8.
>>
>>46810375
Depends on how its used as materials aren't simply determined by "strength". Make a wall out of it? It bends much easier than steel does but also can flex back. This is bad as its like a jack hammer effect on the anchors and a good solid thunk would shake it out of the wall itself. That also means you'd be making it 2.2 times as thick for the same result. You'd also only be dealing with the outerlayer ever swing which again is softer than steel mean you could chip away at it much easier or drill it. Cracking at that thickness is also a problem as you're hindering the flexing that would save it. Again its a shit material for the application.
>>
>>46809613
The best metal for a sword, or any blade for that matter, is a variation of a nickel titanium alloy called NiTiNOL. It's a superelastickl, shape-memory alloy, that is light weight, extremely corrosion resistant, heat resistant and hard enough to maintain its edge.

The problem with most titanium alloys, when used in blade making applications, is that it is relatively soft and unable to keep an edge. Steel can attain a very high chemical hardness thanks to its the martensitic crystal structure, which makes it very hard. NiTiNOL shares the same kind of tough martensitic structure which allows it to be relatively hard, while being nearly impervious permanent deformation, light weight and extremely corrosion resistant. The only reason the stuff isnt used more widely is its absurdly prohibitive production.

Or at least thats what I recall
>>
>>46810457
>lightweight
>good for a sword
>>
>>46810452
Meant "aluminum" rather than steel on that last bit. I am simultaneously working here.
Do you want to fly but need more structural integrity than aluminum can give without the weight of steel but at 5 times the cost? Titaniums got you covered.
>>
>>46810457
>lightweight
>super elastic
>good for a sword
I mean maybe a rapier, foil, or epee but thats it.
>>
>>46810469
Maybe he wants to go full buster sword
>>
>>46808570
>the door is made of self replenishing HASSIUM

That shit is nearly FOUR TIMES the density of lead.
>>
>>46810518
But is it as soft?
>>
>>46810518
Will we all have cancer before we reach the halfway point of this campaign?
>>
>>46810539
No, you won't.

You're going to melt before you even reach the door.
>>
>>46810539
>leading up to the door is a narrow bridge across a lake of molten corium
>>
>>46810469
Lighter metal just means you can make a bigger sword, and as someone who actually does sword fighting, and not that prissy fencing crap, I can assure you that a lighter sword has plenty of merit. Even a 1/2 lb makes a noticeable difference once you start swinging it around at 40 mph. You also dont need much weight behind your sword to kill the everliving fuck out of a lightly armoured opponent, since you're sword is probably moving over 17 ms and most of the power behind it comes from your shoulder and arm. The only time you need a real heavy hitting weapon is when you are fighting in heavy armour, which I do, which is why I use a falchion, but I would pick my much lighter (and longer) sabre over it any day of the week otherwise.
>>
>>46810530
Its resistance to compression is calculated to be similar to that of diamond. You'll die before you finish cutting it though.

It's physical properties are theoretical because it decays too quickly to be made in workable amounts.

The only safe option is a railgun.
>>
>>46810510
When a superelastic, sometimes called psudoelastic, metal is greatly bent it converts its martensite structure into an unstable austenitic structure. when stress is no longer applied the structure returns to martensite and the metal returns to its original form despite significant stress. That doesnt necessarily mean the metal is easy to bend, just hard to deform.
>>
>>46810518
And a door of it would basically explode from the radiation as it turn to, mostly lead.
>>
How much damage should a facefull of FOOF do?
>>
>>46810667
Wait. Are you using "deform" for permanently bending or bending then snapping back to shape? This is important.
>>
>>46810731
Permanent
>>
>>46810753
The issue is if it deforms at all. Even if it snaps back. Titanium has an issue of being sproingy. Sure it snaps back but its too flexible and it transfers vibrations as well.
Imagine that numb feeling your hands get when you hit a baseball with a bat then double that. Its not great.
>>
>>46810782
Correction. If it deforms at all and how hard it is too deform. Sorry.
>>
>>46810469
>>46810510
Even a light very light 1-1.5 lb sword is still carrying roughly 200 lbs of force behind it, if you account for the force generated by the arm plus the sword. Weight really isn't that important for a sword under most circumstances really, only against an armoured opponent and then you would want an axe, or at the very least a falchion which is a quite axe-like sword.
>>
>>46810796
>not using a tuck
Cmon now.
I get what you're saying though. The issue is that weight is an issue when you're taking a 3lb sword and making it 1.2lbs. And more flexible and springy and not expecting to have to handle and deal with that.
>>
>>46810490
It's also good for implants
>>
>>46810875
Only because bone freely bonds with it and its non-toxic.
>>
>>46810912
Yes, that's why it's good for implants.
>>
>>46809664
Luckily my weapons are all enchanted with rhapsody of fire, a powerful spell learned from a blind guardian last helloween.
>>
>>46810338
>I am going into the tavern
>How?
>Ho.. by going through the door of course.
rolls
>Are you sure?
>I want something to drink so yeah.
Rolls again
>Ok, you just triggered a trap. The floor opens and you fall into a pit of spikes.
>>
File: Gary Gygax's Magical Realm.png (2 MB, 1600x973) Image search: [Google]
Gary Gygax's Magical Realm.png
2 MB, 1600x973
>>46810948
>The Gygax Inn
>>
>>46810957
>The Crossed Glaive-Glaive-Guisarme-Bardiche-Voulge-Glaives
>>
>>46809713
but the beige shirts
>>
>>46809664

>Try our new dragonforce armour!
>Through the fire and flames, it'll carry on!
>>
>>46810948
Its not always a trap. Like i said the DM just does it to fuck with us cause 99% isn't a trap but then we have to assume every damn time its the 1%.
It would go:
"I walk into the tavern."
>roll
"Hmm. Okay."

I don't know if he's rolling for an encounter or if he's fucking with me or what. Dungeons are worse cause then i have to assume everythings fucking trapped and our dm is just rolling dice to artificially instill fear and prolong crap.
>>
>>46809613
If you were to wear a suit and take weapons and a shield made of modern steel, and go back to medieval times, would you be walking around with some legendary fucking gear? Could you fib it and tell everyone you got this sweet gear from god?
>>
>>46810855
3 lbs is incredibly heavy for a sword, 2.5 is about the upper limit to what is considered normal for a sword. Super elastic metals arent necessarily springing, the term merely refers to metal that can withstand huge stress without losing its original shape. Steel used in sword making is very springy though, many swords are made out of literal spring steel.
>>
>>46808570
I tend to have my PC's carry a variety of common tools made of exotic materials. I'm mostly banking on the GM knowing fuck all about metallurgy aside from "Titanium = Good"

"So, my Bismuth hammer should make short work of those Titanium door hinges, right?"
"Lucky me, I have a Pyrite screwdriver to lever out those Titanium rivits!"
"This Sodium Allen key set will have that computer terminal apart bish bosh boom."
>>
>>46811242
No. If you're wearing plate armor, then it's going to shrug off most attacks anyway, and attackers will just go for the joints. If you're wearing plate armor and carrying a shield, then people are going to think your armor must be crap or you wouldn't need the shield.

What would be more impressive is a suit that never rusted. But even if you show off your suit's impressive properties, most people would just assume you got it from a foreign smith.
>>
>>46811242
No. While we've made strides the best you could do would brag about it being a little lighter or not rusting or holding a better edge. Its not like night and day or anything but other lords would have to spend some serious dosh to attempt to match.
Most strides are in production since we can pop out swords of similar or better quality in a day where thats a weeks worth of work or more for the same quality by hand. We also can produce steel much faster and more reliably.
>>
>>46809873
>>46809823
>>46809782
>>46809712

Bitches, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfPeHqdZZOw
>>
>>46811242
What you wanna take back with you is a cattle prod and a solar cell.
>>
>>46811182
He is doing it to spook you and its working.
>>
So, is there any modern metal or alloy that would do noticeably better than steel if crafted into weapons and armor? Or other materials I guess.
>>
>>46811182
Sounds pretty awful.
Say to your dm he is a cunt.
>>
>>46810298
Fun Story: They used to be legitimately mithril and adamant but then players just started breaking the doors off and leaving with them without having to face the horrors within.
>>
>>46811244
>Bismuth hammer
Smelted and forged as normal or the pretty crystal grown on a stick?
>>
>>46811715
To be honest a big lump of magical bismuth attached to a stick sounds like a baller magic warhammer. You know that shit is blessed by the gods.
>>
>>46809585

1065 Steel is the best you're going to get, possibly 1065 Steel with Nitride Surface Hardening.

There are of course the steels with chromium and silicon, these are good but I've only heard their effectiveness in knives, which doesn't necessarily translate into effectiveness with swords.
>>
File: Bismuth.jpg (4 MB, 5176x3519) Image search: [Google]
Bismuth.jpg
4 MB, 5176x3519
>>46811715
>>46811728
>+1 Bismuth Greathammer
>1d12+1+1d6 randomly determined elemental damage
Drawfags, get on this!
>>
>>46811617

Nope, steel is the best thing out there for killing or keeping you from getting killed. An argument can be made for titanium or aluminum, but those really aren't as reliable as steel.

Personally, I really want to know how Mithral or Adamantine reacts in alloy.
>>
>>46811617
no not really

all we did since inventing steel for use as weapons is make even better steel for use as weapons

u can make stuff out of liek idk tungsten or whatever, but its lacts the ductility and its heavier and its not as sharp
>>
>>46811741

>1065
>Nitride

I don't know what those mean, are they designations or something?
>>
>>46811244
>sodium allen key
>catches fire in your sweaty hands
>>
I wonder, if a medieval society was capable, through magic, to reliably extract and work metals such as titanium and aluminum
just how much of an impact would this have?
>>
>>46811801
Steel alloys are numbered. It makes it easier to distinguish between different varieties in conversation without listing off fifteen-syllable chemical compositions every time.
>>
>>46811801

1065 is a designation; "10" means the primary alloying element is carbon, and "65" means you have approximately .65% carbon in the mixture.

Nitride is a surface hardening technique that uses nitrogen as the bonding agent to give a blade an incredibly strong and hard outer surface, while keeping the inner metal ductile. This translates into a sharp, strong blade that won't snap at the first hard hit against something that won't cut. That said, Nitride isn't machinable, meaning when you need to sharpen the blade that shit's coming off.

When considering steel, realize what makes modern steel better than medieval steel is not the alloys, but the quality. A smith cooking some hematite is going to make a significantly worse steel than a mill in the US using an Electric Arc Furnace. The method of producing the metal is often more important than what's in the metal, as that's been fairly consistent throughout history.
>>
>>46811825
See? YOU know metallurgy. Titanium GM there doesn't.
>>
>>46811839

>Lightning Elementals bound in rods that produce the energy necessary to extract aluminum from bauxite
>Medieval society actually knowing what the fuck Rutile is

Medieval society knew what aluminum was, it was a precious metal equal to platinum in price. Hell, Napoleon used to impress dinner guests with aluminum cutlery!
>>
>>46811871
>what makes modern steel better than medieval steel is not the alloys, but the quality
And the consistency.
>>
>>46811906

Consistency = quality, friend.
>>
>>46811899
Napoleon was modern as fuck, man. Medieval can't possibly mean post-renaissance.
>>
>>46811767
>>46811780
Different anon here. Couldn't we do some crazy shit using carbon fiber armor?
>>
>>46811919

Yeah my bad, aluminum remained a luxury metal up until the invention of electric-based metal processing.

Though that does mean the easiest way to get filthy rich in the pre-electric age is to bring a lot of aluminum with you.
>>
>>46811924
Carbon fiber is weird shit in a lot of ways and you wouldn't want it as primary armor in a sword fight. Any nicks would cause the fiber layers to separate, and once that happens that layer's going to pop off the whole piece pretty easily. Drilling a hole in CF, for example, requires a specialized bit that basically clamps the drill site in place.

CF is crazy strong for its weight, but there's more than one sort of strength, and good armor needs to be resilient on many fronts.
>>
>>46811947
Look at this shit! LOOK AT IT! You filthy rich filthy fucks will love this shit so pay attention!
You see this shit? Not only is it fucking aluminum its in sheets finer than any hammer wielded by human hands could fucking hope to attempt to fuck up on. Go ahead you dumbasses make a dress or something out of it you crazy kids.
Asking price: one large nation(get fucked netherlands.)
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 2000x1334
>>46812005
Oops. Hold on a second...okay now look.
>>
>>46811977
What if we cover it in something. Like titanium?
>>
>>46812005

And if anyone ever asks where you got it, say you came from Prester John's Kingdom, where aluminum comes as freely from the earth as coal.
>>
>>46812027

How thin a layer are we talking about here? Because Titanium is wasted if you get too thin.

It also might catch on fire, that's one of the unfortunate quirks of titanium.
>>
File: 131.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
131.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>46812005
>>46811947
>>46811899

>Aluminum is as valuable as platinum

Wait.

WHAT?
>>
>>46812058
I was kind of joking when said titanium but is there actually something that we could cover the carbonfiber piece in that would stop shit without be super bulky and not making the carbon fiber redundant or is there altogether a better material thats not steel that will do a better job?
>>
>>46810452
Put simply titanium is stronger for its density. Materials have different properties, strength is one property, toughness is another, density is another, so is hardness, etc. Anyway titanium has a fairly low density, but despite this it is a very strong material for its density, as opposed to aluminium which is incredibly light but also not a very strong metal even for its weight. Tungsten on the other hand is an incredibly hard and strong metal with the highest melting point of any element, but it is also one of the densest materials we know of.

So you use different materials for different purposes. A titanium long rod penetrator used in APFSDS munitions for killing tanks would be a colossally shitty penetrator because it has an extremely low density and the weight and length of a penetrator should be as high as possible while keeping the diameter as small as possible, since titanium has a low density it would be too light to penetrate as much armour as a tungsten or depleted uranium penetrator. On the other hand using tungsten to make aircraft armour is retarded because a for each square in of armour you add the tungsten would add over four times as much weight as a square inch of titanium armour, and you generally want planes to be as light as possible.

If you want something protected against anything you should probably use an alloy made up of some combination of tunsten or depleted uranium and nickel.
>>
We had a new GM who got us to play the starter campaign while he sets up his OC donut steel world. He's a good person but gets very rigid sometimes.
> "We search around the manor grounds for anything of interest"
> "You see some footprints leading away from the manor"
> Aww yeah I track that shit
> Rolls
> "One and a half hours later you are deep in the woods, the tracks clearly lead into a cave"
We asked him if he really thought a party would shove their nose into the topsoil and follow the tracks blindly into the woods at night.
> "Lol anon I can't let you take that back you're here already and you know where it leads now"
>>
File: original.png (995 KB, 742x765) Image search: [Google]
original.png
995 KB, 742x765
>>46808570
good thing the Hymen of the guard I seduced last night wasn't made of titanium. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to swipe the code for the keypad from her.

If your going to be a skill monkey, always remember to include seduce in your skill package. and if your playing a modern setting game, always case the place first so you can figure out what your up against. Information is Ammunition.
>>
>>46812094

We're trying to say that carbon fiber would make a bad armor in general, the function of carbon fiber is provide an exceptionally light material for a structure that will be enduring a lot of constant service stress, such as airplanes or bicycles or cars.

If your bicycle gets shot by the autocannon of a MiG, it's going to be toast regardless of how strong carbon fiber is.

The ideal body armor in the Middle Ages was probably, like almost anything else, 1065 steel. Never underestimate steel, it conquered the world for a reason.
>>
>>46809506
RIP sides
>>
>>46812092
>Aluminum is as valuable as platinum
WAS, you dolt. If you read any of those posts you would've figured out that electrical extraction was kinda hard back then, and aluminum very rarely naturally forms.
>>
>>46812092
It was a shiny and super-rare thing, of course it was expensive.
>>
>>46811767
>>46811780
Fair enough. What aboabout armor though? We seem to have more options there, especially if we're talking melee and not high powered guns.
>>
>>46812092
Aluminum was crazy rare before the electric process of separating it out was a thing.
Fucking napolean used it as a middle finger in parties by using one of 2 sets of cutlery and letting a liked guest use the other. Every other guest got gold and disliked got silver.
We capped the washington monument in a 6lb pyramid to show off how badass america was in industrial prowess.
The french routinely showed off aluminum bars next to crown jewels like you'd think gold bars would be used to show off how crazy rich they were.
Once we got aluminum ore to dissolve and collect using electrolysis an ingot which cost $550(about $16.7k now) before the process went down to $.25($7.50 now) in just 50 years.
Imagine if that happened to something as plentiful at the time as gold. Whole countries would have completely dissolved overnight.
>>
File: 1379825586903.jpg (639 KB, 4994x2290) Image search: [Google]
1379825586903.jpg
639 KB, 4994x2290
>>46812224

>What's the best metal for armor?

Here's a hint; it's steel.

Steel is probably the most significant alloy ever discovered by man, it's been in use for over two thousand years and it's still being used for roughly the same purposes.
>>
>>46812249
I gathered that, I was wondering about non-metals.
>>
File: 1373319005525.png (15 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1373319005525.png
15 KB, 560x407
>>46812274
>I was wondering about non-metals.

Depends on the function of the armor, and what you think you'll be going up against.

Because the answer can range from ceramic plating to thick silk coats.
>>
>>46812289
Let's say the usual assortment of medieval weaponry.
>>
>>46812316

For non-metallic?

Thick silk gambeson, easily. That shit is tough, light, breathes and actually aids in the closing of wounds.
>>
>>46809954
it could be designed like a circulating high-density sandstorm and kept in shape by forcefields /magics
>>
>>46812345
So again not dense enough to do actual damage.
>>
>>46810177
>Also the DM tends to roll for literally no reason
I do this shit all the time. I get looks from my players like "oh shit what's about to happen?" and I'm thinking "ooh a 20, ooh and a 19, damn I wish these rolls meant something, meh, a 3 nevermind"
>>
>>46812416
Actually if it had enough force it could tear up any soft tissue it goes up against. Might be able to sneak around metal plates as well.

But honestly, the power needed to make something like that could be better used on something that would more than tickle anything solid.
>>
>>46809585
Well an Iridium sword would be immune to a rust monster's touch, not to mention being the shiniest damn thing anyone has ever seen. because who doesn't want a super-shiny sword

also, tungsten body armor. because that's really damn hard.
>>
File: 1382545653231.png (353 KB, 853x470) Image search: [Google]
1382545653231.png
353 KB, 853x470
>>46812608
>also, tungsten body armor. because that's really damn hard.

And it will snap the moment any pressure is put on it.
>>
>>46812627
oh that's an easy fix, add carbon to the tungsten, now you got tungsten-carbide. and only a fool would scoff at that.
>>
All this "strongest metal" talk and no mention of diamond being the strongest metal...
>>
>>46812875

Dragonforce > Diamond.
>>
>>46812875
It was already covered way earlier.

>>46812899
You can have your Dragonforce. Neil Diamond plays the hardest metal known the man.
>>
>>46810875
>>46810912
>>46810941
KEK
>>
>>46813027
It's a joke anon
>>
>>46809613
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've read from a few sources that the best steel you can find today for blades was actually made in the 60s and 70s (maybe it was a little earlier, I don't remember now), for the American logging industry.
>>
>>46808675
>Or a properly tempered iron axe.

Quench&temper heat treatment doesn't work on iron. It works by trapping the carbon where it doesn't want to be, so you need some carbon for the magic to happen. Too much carbon on the other hand (cast iron) and shit goes to hell like an overcrowded prison.
>>
>>46813176
Meant forged. I was working and typing at the time.
>>
>>46811242
The difference in quality is obvious but not severe enough to inspire religious awe.

Now, the thing you'd wanna bring back with you to the past to make people think you're a god or some shit is a phone filled with videos, music and every historical document you can fit on it, and a solar charger. Literally become Nostradamus only you're not making generalizations that are so vague almost anything will fit into your 'predictions', you'll actually legitimately be able to see the future and change the timeline however you want for the brief span of the rest of your life in that epoch.

Plus, you get to serenade Charlemagne with the metal band named after him, voiced by his own descendant. How fucking tits would that be?
>>
File: 1458625937027.gif (1 MB, 480x269) Image search: [Google]
1458625937027.gif
1 MB, 480x269
>>46808570

>steal the door
>steal the lock
>steal the keypad
>steal the computer
>>
>>46812224
>Best alloy for armor

Just going to leave this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3fBkNIROg4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LpINxI73Vw
>>
>>46813527
What would they think of porn (only brought this up cause of the phone video bit)? Or shit like superhero movies? How mind blowing would war documentaries exclamated with nuclear explosions be?
>>
>>46813747
God that .50cal racking sound why is it so sexy?
>>
>>46812224
>Modern armour
Generally ceramics
>Pre-modern armour
Generally some type of steel alloy, nickel-steel alloys tend to be really hard.
>>
>>46813555
Are you a clan of Feegles?
>>
>>46809585
My bbeg is a lich that found an active uranium deposit, which he used to make weapons and armor for his undead army.
>>
>>46809585
Damascus Pattern Steel. It's practically magic. Enjoy dem carbon nanotubes.
>>
>>46811899
Platinum was actually completely worthless in Eurasia until the 18th century, which is so far from Medieval that you might as well say the Roman Empire was the stone age.
>>
>>46814197
We don't need that anymore. you only damascus pattern when you need to strengthen shit steel like the japs did.
We can make better steel that meets all those requirements then just turn a billet into a sword. no need to spend days forging certain soft, medium, and hard steels to ensure the damn sword has all the bases covered when the metal comes ready made and able to do so. Unless you just want pretty armor in which case i'm sure it would look pretty awesome.
>>
>>46809585
A sword made of living bone!
A very dense bone -say, from a dragon - is whittled to a fine taper, then ground to a sharp edge. A beating dragon heart is placed in the hilt of the sword, and the bone blade is attached before it dies.
A magical sword made from living dragon bone will sharpen itself over time, and the blood of your fallen enemies will only keen your blade.
>>
File: 1458201030459.jpg (33 KB, 500x346) Image search: [Google]
1458201030459.jpg
33 KB, 500x346
>>46808570
>DM is really railroady
>come across a locked chest
>try to pick the lock
>"The lock is far too complex to pick, you'll need the key"
>try to bash it open
>"You can't, it's too tough for that"
>"Well then we'll attack it with everything we have until it breaks"
>"I told you, you can't."
>"What, even if we keep bombarding it for days?"
>"Yes, it's fucking INDESTRUCTIBLE. NOTHING can destroy it. You need the key."
>moment of silence
>"Well then, an indestructible item will sure come in handy"
>DM's face as the rogue pushes the chest inside a bag of holding
>>
File: pulad properties.gif (18 KB, 660x356) Image search: [Google]
pulad properties.gif
18 KB, 660x356
>>46814197
I guess if we want to highlight the fact that magic doesn't exist...

Here's some tests from back in the twenties, comparing wootz/pulad damascus steel to currently produced pattern welded steel (Solingen damask) and what I suspect was a standard steel at the time (Solingen cast). If I'm to go for a rough guess, then the damask might be in the right ballpark for a good, quality blade from the late middle ages and into the 19th century.

Now, while the numbers may not be how things are usually measured nowadays, and translating them into "modern" units might be quite a project in itself, we can still notice some trends. Primarily that the welded damask beats all wootz steels in all ways measured, and then looses in every field to the cast steel.

As for the nanotubes, what has been observed in acid-etched specimens from one sword (sample size...) are extremely thin cementite needles. Pondering how those formed, one group of researchers came to the conclusion that they would have formed as the filling of carbon nanotubes. Others think cementite can happily form such structure son its own, so whether any nanotubes where at any point present in the life span of the steel (the nanotubes may have been devoured by the acid, or they might have dissolved back into the steel much earlier as it was processed by the steelmaker or smith).

Now, even if there is nanotubes present in the steel as-forged, there's no guarantee that they have a positive effect on the properties, or that they are there in sufficient amounts to do anything at all really. Their absence in other steels, should they truly do exist in wootz, is also something that may need looking into before we take it for granted.

The original publication (yes, that's all there was to it): http://www.mediafire.com/download/x3js4b93gt83i2p/Carbon_nanotubes_in_an_ancient_Damascus_sabre.pdf

I can't seem to google up the replies at the moment though I'm afraid.
>>
>>46810986
Painfully accurate.
>>
File: 1383863490241.jpg (339 KB, 710x508) Image search: [Google]
1383863490241.jpg
339 KB, 710x508
>>46814359

It's very telling of how good modern steel is when one of the most common ways to produce a combat-capable sword (and in fact, one that knights would fight over) is literally go to the scrapyard and start working some throwaway steel.

Mankind in the modern age is so spoiled with plentiful, high-quality materials it's unreal.
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=azq0G82lXTc
>>
>>46814734
I'm sure cave men would have fought over an obsidian knife or bronze agers over a top quality iron sword.
The issue is perspective and now ours is that we have all these fantastic idea's and the materials at hand are just failing us but we've hit this damned fucking wall on metallurgy compared to previous ages and now we can't build thess monolothic beasts or make shit that can hold a ton of people to take us to space or make that space elevator or build us ring worlds or contain a blackhole or focus things perfectly etc.
They're not high-quality any more, some of them don't even count as "quality" now either as we've now just started refining what we do have till we can't any more.

That is, until we start learning how to make super materials.
>>
>>46809732
It's brittle because it's got mighty cleavage
>>
File: yesitwasbloodyhotinthere.jpg (842 KB, 2256x2337) Image search: [Google]
yesitwasbloodyhotinthere.jpg
842 KB, 2256x2337
>>46814734
Given the problems inherent with heat-treating steel of unknown composition, such a sword might not turn out all that well, and there's a decent risk of it failing horribly in combat or similar use. The decidedly temperamental nature of quench-and-temper heat treatment kept the full quench from being widely used on European swords until the end of the middle ages, despite being well known since antiquity.

Then again, we're so bloody spoiled here that buying non-scrap steel of good quality and a known, suitable composition doesn't cost much either.

Scrap-hunting is mostly for those who are on an extremely tight budget and looking for somethign vaguely ferrous to bash a bit, or those who very specifically don't want modern steels. I've heard from Peter Johnsson that old steels are easier to forge weld (Slag inclusions acting as flux perhaps? My wild guess.), there may be some nice texture too them (especially after a lot of forge welding), and sometimes age in itself is desirable.
>>
>>46814926

>tfw you will never fuck a diamond girl
>>
>>46809322
I once did that. The players called bullshit. I answered that the king and his bodyguards were an adventuring party that killed the last king and usurped power. Actually, that's how most kings got their power. Why do you think there are so many kingdoms around?
>>
>>46809585
Depleted uranium.
>>
>>46810199
>she still forced us to a week indentured servitude assisting her

Hot.
>>
>>46814993
It doesn't hold an edge, does it?
>>
File: image.png (721 KB, 732x960) Image search: [Google]
image.png
721 KB, 732x960
>>46814993
S-sir Alexander....i'm-uh. I'm sorry to tell you this b-but the time spent around your uh knightly armor has given you...umm. Uh. Cancer. Its terminal...sir.
>>
>>46809970
I think he meant 'unlocked' rather than 'open'.
>>
>>46814993
Uranium as cast/wrought alpha phase/annealed beta phase - 1080 steel hardened and tempered to 40HRc

Hardness: 10/10/10 - 40
Yield strength: 200/290/740 - 869
Shear modulus (aka not being a wet noodle): 77.9/77.9/77.9 - 80.0

And it weight nearly three times what it should.
>>
>>46809322
>even the retard daughter if the blacksmith can beat all of you with both hands tied behind her back
I hate sword odf damocles kind of GMs
>>
>>46815125
That could make a good head for a smashy weapon. Or maybe a hefty head for a pike?

>>46815082

I'm pretty sure DU splinters in such a way as to be 'self sharpening' at least in bullets.
>>
>>46815089
>depleted

He'll get renal failure, not cancer.
>>
>>46815172
>That could make a good head for a smashy weapon. Or maybe a hefty head for a pike?

You can easily get enough mass with steel, bronze, brass, copper, numerous stones, and many woods.

>I'm pretty sure DU splinters in such a way as to be 'self sharpening' at least in bullets.

That won't make the continuous, coherent edge you need to cut well. If it even happens at all at the speeds and pressures you get when you swap the 120mm cannon and sabot for a human arm. High deformation rates embrittle, low ones toughen.
>>
>>46814610
Jokes aside I once made a warhammer with an indestructible kettle for head
>>
>>46809506
https://youtu.be/Vf3Wj_d-aOE?t=18s
>>
>>46810452
It's a weight/strength thing. Titanium has one of the highest strength to weight ratios of all metals. A 12 gauge thick sheet of titanium would be about as strong as steel, just weigh a lot less.
It's like how in 3.5 they say mithril is about the same strength as steel but weighs half as much.
The other thing people forget about titanium is it's brittle as fuck. Steel's strength doesn't only come from it's durability but from the fact that it bends. Titanium will crack before it bends so it can't shrug off as much trauma.
>>
/tg/-metallurgy
>>
>>46809322
Are you daft m8?

In a world of ubermen and MAGIC, you expect a governing authority to not have power and the strength to endure all the bullshit going on in their world, while their "Heroes" are fucking with level 1 rats?
>>
>>46808570
Titanium is actually soft. When it's alloyed with steel, it's only to make the steel lighter. I don't understand why people don't know this.
>>
File: 1456391034593.jpg (38 KB, 307x307) Image search: [Google]
1456391034593.jpg
38 KB, 307x307
>>46814937
>tfw you can still fuck a Golden Girl
>>
>>46809322
LOOK, ITS THE KING OF BULSHITLAND, HE CLEARLY ISN'T GOING TO BE MARYSUELEVELOFPOWER BECAUSE MUH, WE ARE CLEARY THE FIRST ONES TRYING TO STEAL HIS THRONE.
>>
>>46819217
His point probably was:
>Since your guards are so powerful, and you yourself don't need their protection anyway, why does the future of [Mission] hinges on us?
>>
>>46820420
see>>46809366
>>
>>46820420
He's got a job. Running the kingdom.

Adventurers are cheap.
>>
>>46820420
Murderhobos are expendable, the king is not

And his elite guard is probably more valuable than a few adventurers as well
>>
>>46820420
I can understand that from a king, but when even non trained militia our farmer #356 is like 10 levels above the party that really makes me mad

The typical dude who asks for escorts mission, gets attacked, party member dies, and duded decides to step in because otherwise will end in tpk and turns out to be greatest warrior ever, man, been there so many times

Like I said before, cunt damocles' sword kind of GM, everyone is better than the party and that way I keep them on the rails
>>
>>46808570
I've had to do this with doors in star wars campaigns. They just ended up cutting around the frame and stealing the very expensive phrik doors. I've learned my lesson.
>>
>>46808570
Break the hinges, then reflect on what a good thing it is that they weren't made of titanium.
>>
>>46821565
I had a jedi player, who decide to fight another jedi player inside of a small turboelevator, I told them that for every miss the elevator's "box" would get hit and eventually, if it ran out of HPs, something bad could happen. Well, something bad happened and both fell, except one got levitate power and the other didn't. The guy who died went on a rant about how incredible durable turboelevators in St where, from that moment we came up with the metal know as turboelevatorium which was the strongest metal know in the Galaxy, the guy didn't took this joke well
>>
>>46808570
Titanium is hard but brittle, so you can probably smash through it.
>>
>>46813747

If that titanium is able to survive shots so well, why aren't we using it in body armor? It survived 7.62 up close, .223 up close, the shotgun up close. Survived a .50 fucking caliber shot. Whatever would make us use ceramic plates instead of titanium?
>>
File: 1411163020800.jpg (67 KB, 1008x864) Image search: [Google]
1411163020800.jpg
67 KB, 1008x864
>>46811899
>>46812092
>>
>>46822206
Because that was a very thick piece of titanium, and that Boron carbide which is one of the things used as ceramic plates is lighter and stronger. Though it seems I can't find a video of someone shooting it with a .50.
>>
>>46812345
>it could be designed like a circulating high-density sandstorm and kept in shape by forcefields /magics
EXACTLY!

>>46812416
>So again not dense enough to do actual damage.
>>46812567
>Actually if it had enough force it could tear up any soft tissue it goes up against. Might be able to sneak around metal plates as well.
>But honestly, the power needed to make something like that could be better used on something that would more than tickle anything solid.
Yeah, it doesn't need density, just ENERGY behind the nanites to rip and tear at the molecular level.
>>
>>46814874
>bronze agers over a top quality iron sword.
Actually, bronze is much better for arms and armor than iron, being both stronger and better able to hold an edge. The advantage of iron was that it wasn't quite so heavy and you didn't need two different ores that were almost never found near eachother to make it.

The move from bronze to iron was pretty much like the move from wood to plastic for firearm furniture. It's just cheaper at every level.
>>
File: 1441940559234.jpg (56 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1441940559234.jpg
56 KB, 600x375
>>46808570
>the balls are made of steel
>he's here to kick ass and chew bubblegum
>he's all outta gum
>>
>>46812345
>>46822551
Because at the point that you are using a forcefield/magic to support the design, you might as well skip the sword part.
>>
>DMPC does weighted dips
>chips remain intact

Fucking aesthetic Mary sues
>>
>I roll diplomacy roll low 4 but my bonus makes it about a 16
>ally tries rolls rolls 16 on dice GM says it's a pass (he has no bonus)
>>
>>46814467
Why would a flying creature like a dragon have dense bones?
>>
File: 1397386094149.png (261 KB, 3150x1140) Image search: [Google]
1397386094149.png
261 KB, 3150x1140
>>46809664
Only one thing can slay a dragonforce
>>
File: 1435861675785.jpg (59 KB, 632x480) Image search: [Google]
1435861675785.jpg
59 KB, 632x480
>>46822760
>weighted dips
>>
File: 1456685195474.jpg (51 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1456685195474.jpg
51 KB, 680x680
>>46823603
>rows are much better and safer than clean and jerk
>>
>>46822206
Because Titanium is expensive to produce and machine. Sure, you could make plates out of the stuff, but they would cost probably an order of magnitude more than an AR500 plate.
>>
>everything in the inn is made of admantine

Sounds like a plot hook.
>>
>>46823335
fuckn magic thats why
>>
>>46827667
Sounds like a place asking to get robbed.
>>
>>46830363
Those things aren't mutually exclusive. Robbing all of that adamantine would be easy, too easy.
>>
>>46809506
>>The rest of the party, seemingly forgetting about their weapons, form a circle around it and proceed to kick and stomp it to death
I don't know anon that seems like the proper answer, primordial form of defense against a down opponent.
>>
>>46811485
Pfff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA7uEh2jYe4
>>
>>46823981
You enter the DMPC'S room and find him doing barbell flies.
>>
>>46808570
Steal it. Steal all of it, and sell it.
>>
>>46809585
Necrodermis
>>
>>46822346

>Aluminum
>Just as good at defending against arrows/swords as steel

Except that's wrong, you dummy.
>>
>>46809664
>>46810943
>tfw you will never play DnD with the members of a power metal band
>>
>>46810943

Have you caused your enemies to ride into obsession and go over the deep end trying to kill you and your magic skald powers?
>>
>>46815701
>>46819217
But why would someone so powerful just reign over some backwoods strip of nothing? Why are so many people stronger than the gods? I'm willing so deal with the whole "human kings in magical settings act just like goblin kings" thing, but at least in my case the whole thing was just fiat bullcrap because the GM was scared of us having things.
see
>>46809614
And sure the king could just demand we do it for free but the GM went through some pretty ridiculous hoops to avoid that. If I remember right, I claimed I was some nearly emaciated old hag scraping by on her own. To her this may as well be a death march, so she figured she'd press for incentives. After a moment of arguing, a guard killed my character off and then we "woke up" to find out it was a hallucination induced by the king's god-wizards, so once again I pressed for a reward. That's when the GM gave up and we ended the game for the night.
>>
File: Outlander_2008_Sword.jpg (31 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
Outlander_2008_Sword.jpg
31 KB, 500x278
>>46809585
>sword made from a spacecraft
>>
>>46835631
In a brutal display of Triumph or Agony we were Storming Burning Fields, displaying the Power of Thy Sword to the Queen of the Dark Horizons. We thought we'd be Souls Lost in Endless Time, but were saved by the Lord of the Winter Snow.
>>
>>46812242
The more you know.
>>
>>46838445

Holy shit well played.
>>
>>46810957
>those holes in mushrooms
I feel like throwing up
>>
>>46838686
Oh, but that was all Before the War. After the Keeper of the Seven Keys said I Wanna be God, it started a Reign of Terror. No one was ready for his Dawn of Victory, but the Elvenking was prepared with his magic of Iced Earth, but even the Wizard's Last Rhymes couldn't save the Ancient Forest of the Elves from the March of the Swordmaster. It seemed as though nothing could stop the Pride of the Tyrant, leading to the Black Comet's Reign. And thus, the Black Dragon was forced to RRRRRRI-DE TH-E SKYYYYY
>>
>>46838826

I, the Rainbow Warrior, thane of king Eric the Bloody, did swear By the Sword in My Hand, and by the Blood of Warriors which flows in my veins to stop The Burning of Jutland by The King of All Lies my lord's half-brother, who consumed with Envy was his Brothers Bane. This was The Beginning of The End of my saga. I set out in my long ship Into the Storm and By the Light of the Northern Star i navigated the Ocean to The Edge of the world. And battle was joined and it were as though Ragnarok had come, and i did fight as the God of War, and when Victory was at hand i stepped over Another Fallen Brother and smote him. But as i smote him he struck me down, and i was carried Into the Sky by the Lady of the Slain, the Valkyrja, to Valhalla and the Fields of the Slain.
>>
Platinum is strong. But if you make a 10% rhodium allow out of it, it becomes literally too hard to machine work.
>>
>>46839339
A most fantastic Skylark! I'm surprised all of this could have happened while we were still Dokken, but then again our ships traverse a Wildpath to Kamelot, where we shall ride Cross the Highlands to the Once and Future King, the Iron Savior, Highlord Charlemagne the Man-Witch.
>>
>>46839521

Let us March for Revenge with the Dark Avenger to do battle with the Army of the Immortals, for we do not fear their Black Arrows. Let us sing the Battle Hymn and cry "I will bathe my sword in the Blood of My Enemies" for Today is a Good Day to Die. sound the Call to Arms, for we will continue our Holy War until The Ascension of our King to his rightful throne.
>>
>>46839748
Forsooth! The Disciples of Babylon shall cease their Invocation of Apocalyptic Evil as they face the Triumph of My Magic Steel, and so the Wizard's Last Rhymes will ensure our lord shall be King for A Thousand Years! By the grace of The Last Angels' Call, the Phantoms of Death will know our Wrath, for Heavy Metal (Is the Law)!
>>
>>46816595
Blue board anon
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.