[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we talk about calendar systems in general? trying to come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: O7A6PqQ.jpg (115 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
O7A6PqQ.jpg
115 KB, 625x469
can we talk about calendar systems in general?

trying to come up with a calendar system for a steampunky setting.

i really like WH40k's calendar system, e.g. M40.xxx, it's simple, intuitive (40,000 + x hundred of years), and shows how far into the future the setting is.

for my steampunky world, however, i want to go for a realistic approach involving multiple calendar systems revolving around a central, common calendar system, i.e. Gregorian calendar, Japanese emperor calendar, Chinese lunar calendar, Roman calendar, etc.
>>
File: _calendar2.jpg (267 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
_calendar2.jpg
267 KB, 1000x1000
Hey!

I've been working on a 360 day calendar that's vaguely inspired by the Mayan calendar.
>>
>>46802691
Calendars are too much effort for literally no gain. I just use the real calendar and have the game world and the real world move in lock-step.
>>
>>46802691
>that image
THAT'S ISN'T HOW ROMAN NUMERALS WORK! This fucking education system, man...

The correct way of writing "2015" in Roman numerals is MMXV.
>>
>>46805423
That's the joke.
>>
>>46807349

i don't think those graduates were joking anon. and neither is the school allowing them to graduate like that.
>>
File: 1426663220468.jpg (265 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1426663220468.jpg
265 KB, 1440x1080
>>46802691
Motherfucker
Whoever did that shit deserves to get shot in the foot.
>>
>>46802691
>image

I'm triggered
>>
File: 1384916172416.jpg (68 KB, 500x412) Image search: [Google]
1384916172416.jpg
68 KB, 500x412
i just wanted to talk about calendar systems and maybe talk about holidays and shit, i didn't mean for this happen
>>
>>46810649
You've committed one of the classic blunders, OP! Most well known is "Never get involved with a land war in Asia", but slightly less well known is this: Never post a thread with an image more interesting than your post!
>>
>>46810649
METAL GEAR
>>
>>46802691
Whatever way you go with, you will have to explain it to people who aren't interested in the nuances in your design. So be prepared for that.

Decide upon the planets rotation. Decide on the method of timekeeping. Decide on how you want that information displayed visually using non-modern means.
>>
File: 1298687261219.png (48 KB, 1344x174) Image search: [Google]
1298687261219.png
48 KB, 1344x174
>>46810649
>>46810699
>>
>>46802691
Have you considered French Metric Time?

It's horrible! 100 seconds in a minute, 100 minutes in an hour, 10 hours in a day, 10 days a week (ergo: 100 hours a week). This makes both a metric second *faster* than a real second and a metric minute *longer* than a real minute, and all subsequent time values *worse*.

But the best part was the metric calendar.
You don't have to be a genius to know that 365.25(and a bit) does not neatly fit into the Base 10 so, what did they do? They put it in Metric Weeks, and then made the remainder a big lump of holiday. Imagine if you had only one holiday to look forward to each year?

Naturally, it failed horribly. But Metric Time is perfect for steampunk setting, with it's post-revolutionary Victorian aesthetic.
>>
>>46810649
>classicblunders.jpg

Realistically, though, you have three options for calendars that are not just the calendar your players will be familiar with.

1. Keep the calendar's structure of days, months and years, but and just use a different event as Year Zero.
2. Keep things vague as to exact dates and such because the setting doesn't track them that heavily. "It was early in the harvest season", "It was not quite two moons after the solstice", "during the harvest moon" etc
3. Go full setting-wank and create your own calendar system. Days often remain the same length because structuring a story around a 32-hour day is weird, but weeks, months and years can go out the window. This option also covers "We have a 12 months of 4 weeks of 7 days system, but everything has a different name because I'm special. "
>Seven days or "long hours" to a Glert, four Glerts to a Nomart, twelve Nomarts called Ien, Dort, Aeft (the cold, or Lover's Nomarts), Yein, Abil, Norn (the warming, or Childer Nomarts), Clom, Aen, Bol (the hot, or Menfolk's Nomarts), Bel, Shbeggle, Yeain (the cooling, or Sleeping Nomarts) - the twelve Nomarts make a Rotil. Ten Rotil are often called a Long Nomart. Ten long Nomart or one hundred count Rotil make a Kingsreign.
>>
>>46810755
>French Metric Time

i feel like this should make sense, but i'm just not seeing it.

>But Metric Time is perfect for steampunk setting, with it's post-revolutionary Victorian aesthetic.

I have my own ideals about steampunk, and French Metric Time fits into it as well as a non-metric year fits into the system.
>>
>>46802691

That image legitimately fucking triggers me
>>
>>46810774

I'm not going to fuck around with the length of days and hours. i just want to discuss variations on dividing the year, what are good references for a starting point to count the years, and holidays that happen (beside obligatory spring festival/summer solistice/fall harvest/winter solistice).
>>
>>46802691
>>Fucking yankee plebs can't use roman numbers
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.