[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /tg/. What RPG system, in your opinion has the best, most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
Okay /tg/. What RPG system, in your opinion has the best, most tactically interesting combat there is? Preferably melee combat but I'll take anything.
People who think combat in RPG is not interesting please do not bother posting.

I have an admittedly low knowledge of non-mainstream RPGs so I'll abstain from saying my opinion.
>>
File: Average Song of Swords Thread.png (632 KB, 791x596) Image search: [Google]
Average Song of Swords Thread.png
632 KB, 791x596
>>46791164
Song of Swords.
>>46650087
>>
>>46791164
How the fuck are they dry on that rock in that weather in that ocean? Apologies for non-relevancy.
>>
>>46791246
Conan is too manly for water
>>
>>46791164
One on one, small group, or mass?
This is an important distinction to make, as no system does all three well.
>>
>>46791449
I'm more interested in small groups (2-4 players vs 1-8 enemies) I guess
Still, I'm curious about mass combat systems too.

One on one seems useless to be honest, since most of the time you have multiple players fighting multiple enemies.
>>
>>46791164
fantasycraft, duh
>>
>>46791164

D&D 4E?
>>
>>46794412
>fantasycraft
isn't that based on D&D 3.x? I can't say I have a good impression of anything spawned from it.
>>
>>46794478
That or Strike! are pretty great if squad sized combat with characters who have dedicated combat roles is what you are looking for.
>>
>>46791164
Yeah gotta agree with >>46791244 SoS and it's cousins/brothers have great meele combat
>>
File: herpaderp.png (262 KB, 964x857) Image search: [Google]
herpaderp.png
262 KB, 964x857
>>46794599
The only thing I don't like about FC is how meta it is, but in general it's a lot better than 3.x.p.f

It makes it so every character is *about* T3, and everybody always has a lot of options. It puts more emphasis on the smaller mundane aspects of fictional combat, with your characters likely having like 15 different options for fucking with or killing your opponents. Tons of tactical variety, weapons and armor are a lot more varied and each type is useful and each weapon group has it's own chain of feats with different boosts and tactics.

You get a defense score which varies by class like Bab, armor gives you DR (against most types of damage, not just from weapons) but lowers your defense a bit (but not if it's light enough), each class also gets an initiative bonus (with only like 2 miscellaneous bonuses to be found, both being specific to certain lvl 1 character options). Magic is actually balanced, and 90% of classes won't touch it (except for magic items, which are more rare and special).

Basically, it took D&D's "stand and swing at each other, dude with higher numbers wins" and made that part of the game fun while throwing the endless spells, prestige classes, magic items, and same-but-not monster stat-blocks out the window.

It also has a bunch of rules for things D&D doesn't, like reputation, holdings, food, how good you are with money, appearance, how famous you are (somewhat separate from rep). Skills become very important for everybody, and everybody gets plenty. I remade tordek/lidda/mialee/jozan for FC, and they had all the skills in the book between themselves, with some redundancies, all at max rank.
>>
Runequest 6. As realistic it can get, and creativity is hugely rewarded.
>>
>>46794412
>>46795185
It's nearly as fucked as any other d20/derivative out there.

Our table gave up on it years ago, and to this day I still cannot comprehend how years after it was utterly abandoned (oh yeah that magic caster guide will be out ANY DAY NOW, they removed having said in 2011) somehow people on /tg/ suddenly decided it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Because it was moldy as fuck when it first got on the shelves.
>>
>>46794791
>strike!
that sounds pretty cool, gonna take a look.
>>
>>46795061
>SoS and it's cousins/brothers
SoS has cousins?
>>
>>46796310
Nah, I think only brothers since they all are offspring from Riddle of Steel. Don't know why I put cousins there.
They are
Song of Swords (obviously), Blade of the Iron Throne (actually released already) and Band of Bastards (not fully released yet, but the PDF gets done incrementally. Right now it has ~150 pages and is available on the website for free)
in case you don't know them.
>>
>>46796295
Quick rundown of notable traits pf the tactical combat module:

-Attacks have the attacker roll a d6. There's no AC, so 1-2 is a miss, a 3 is a graze, 4-5 is a hit and 6 is a crit.
-There are almost no fiddly modifiers. Most things give advantage/disadvantage (you roll 2d6 and take better/worse)
-Numbers are low; a basic attack deals 2 damage, lvl1 characters start with 10 HP, you get +2 HP/level and top out at 30.
-Combat is 4e-like, using a "powers" system, with each character having a number of at-will powers they can use freely, as well as some encounter powers (no daily powers however). Powers can be recovered mid combat by spending an action point.
-Movement can be freely split up like in 5e (but no running circles around people).
-Feats are set up so they are meaningful. There are few of them, you are encouraged to make your own.
-Characters are built by combining a class with a role. So instead of picking "thief" and having your role set for you as "striker", you can pick "thief", get a bunch of abilities (that lean heavily towards striking) but then you can decide to pick a different role and be a thief that is a leader or a defender or a controller, and be a sneaky git that does something other than stab people really well so they die sneakily.
-Fluff neutrality; everything is supposed to be refluffable, and in fact, there's only a bare minimum of fluff present. So you need to make your own, which could be a plus or not.
>>
File: classes.png (556 KB, 1182x1077) Image search: [Google]
classes.png
556 KB, 1182x1077
>>46796767
Classes (there's also a thief that does double duty as "punchy monk" and a half-official "psion" class).
>>
File: roles.png (155 KB, 758x534) Image search: [Google]
roles.png
155 KB, 758x534
>>46797016
And roles.

I can't off-hand think about any class/role combination that doesn't work at all, so there are quite a few combinations.
>>
>>46795945
This guy gets it. RQ6 has probably the best system for combat. Sure it is pretty detailed, but basically it comes down to this:
>you got 2 or 3 action points per combat round; attack, parry or move to spend one
>d100 combat skill roll to hit/parry
>any difference in degree of success means special effects like bleed, stun, sunder, impale, choose location etc.
>example: I hit and you fail to parry, i get 1 degree of success. Or I crit and you fumble, I get 3 degrees of success and thus, 3 special effects to inflict.
>weapon range and size matters
>armor reduces the damage to location
>shields are super useful, they can passive block a few locations
>each hit location has about 4 to 7 hp on average: minor wounds don't matter much, serious wounds (when hp reaches zero) can incapacitate or put a limb out of use, major wounds (negatively equal hp of the max hp) can kill you in minutes and WILL incapacitate you
>most damage dealt will be averaging around from d6 (smaller weapons like clubs) to 2d6 (greatswords), average armour negates around 4 damage

Once you get the general idea of RQ6 combat, it can run surprisingly smoothily. It does differ from the usual d20 system where you have a single pool of hp for your character, but it's tons of fun.
>>
>>46797016
>>46797042
>>46796767
This is pretty cool.
Any pdf rolling around?
>>
>>46795945
>>46797218
I'll check it out, thanks.
>>
>>46797218
seems very similar to the Only War system (which I assume is based on dark heresy).
Except that once you get major wounds you would check the critical table to see how fucked up you are.
>>
>>46796047
they produced other books since then, and we just recently got a preview of spellbound

you just don't like it because it's not beginner friendly and you don't really understand it
>>
>>46799341
>"Spellbound will, in fact, be released in the first quarter of 2015"
This was in 2014. And it had been claimed almost ready to release well before this once or twice before.

Yeah, it's obviously because I don't understand a d20 system, threat level systems or 'feats' that I'm not impatiently awaiting spellbound soon.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.