[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Town Encounters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: hand holding day.jpg (64 KB, 736x458) Image search: [Google]
hand holding day.jpg
64 KB, 736x458
What are some encounters I could throw at my party besides the usual "a thief/beggar/guard approaches you and causes issues" when they visit towns? They visit towns a lot.
>>
Festivals and carnivals are always fun. Giant flea markets are neato. Disgruntles mobs are as well.
>>
Why do your players "visit towns a lot"? Do they just roll through random places for no reason, and each week you have to tell them that they're in another generic hamlet filled with generic sights?

If there isn't a reason for them to be there, then why are you spending time fleshing out what happens there?
>>
>>46786136
They see that (material they can somewhat reliably acquire) is selling at a high cost as it becomes a popular fad and realize they can make fat stacks of cash by playing the market.
>>
>>46786136
Orphanage that's a front for a secret halfling cult of [insert something onimous]. When they get real kids, they sacrifice them.
>>
>>46786206
The campaign is an episodic adventure kind of thing, so they sail around the world doing various protagonist-things. Killing bad guys, plotting with NPCs, finding items, shit like that.

I'm good enough at making each region/town a different flavor from the others, but I like to throw in extra shit besides what they came there for ya know? Make the world alive.

For example, they usually pay the town tavern (or equivalent social center) a visit so they can see what the locals are up to, so I usually have three or so tavern encounters planned out.
>>
File: cityencouters.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
cityencouters.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Here only for you anon.
>>
>>46786136
Farm animals attack them in a herd
>>
Slip on dog shit and land in a gutter catching a nasty disease
>>
A more general approach is to read the description of the town if it is from a available source or write down a few important features or factions if it's your own creation, and make some encounters based on that.

For example:

Does it have an harbor? Fishermen selling fish/repairing nets/telling stories in the tavern, seamen getting drunk and starting a brawl, a captain trying to hire a new crew in the tavern (perhaps kidnapping drunkards), and so on.

Does it have a big or important temple? Add many clerics, show a procession or a religious festival, pilgrims from distant places, perhaps the characters are unlucky and all rooms are booked, and so on.

Is it a small peaceful normal town? Then probably the PCs are the town talk, there is little to buy, plenty of free rooms in the tavern and few guests, little children interested in them and in their stories.
>>
Outbreak of plague has the town on quarantine by the ruler's personal detachment. The town itself has something the group needs immediately.

There have been disappearances from the homeless population. A sorcerer is experimenting on them, trying to turn them into chimera. He's growing more and more successful, and has begun using his creations to gain power in the town.

The merchants guild is at war with itself as two of its richest members try to drive each other out of business. Both are using the criminal element in the city to good effect in this.

The elven district has a serial killer targeting seemingly random people. The group are the first to discover his latest victim. The killer is actually out of revenge against the people who accidentally killed his brother.
>>
>>46788494
Not OP:

Thanks for the upload. But I must say- this document has some strange grammar.
>>
>>46788494
>>46794687
18. An invaluable piece of treasure is thought to be somewhere in the sewers of the city, which
leads the PCs to a dumpster. Behind the rubbish a criminal empire rises, financing itself by reprocessing
and using what the city no longer consider useful or falls in the trash, like the piece of
treasure. Will the party confront the Trash Emperor to recover the treasure, or do they leave it as a
sign of good will?
>>
>>46794687
>>46795221

Not a native Speaker, never noticed. It still has some nice Ideas for plothooks/situations.
>>
>>46788494
OP here, much appreciated
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.