[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would your average fantasy RPG be like if it were 100% accurate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
What would your average fantasy RPG be like if it were 100% accurate to real medieval times?
>>
Not a fantasy RPG.
>>
>>46773700
Unbalanced as fuck
>>
Nothing like an average fantasy setting at all. A better question to ask is "how faithful to real medieval times can a typical fantasy setting be before it starts to detract from the appeal of the setting?"
>>
Boring as shit 99% of the time
>>
Pretty much this >>46773713
>>
>>46773700
Medieval times span some 1000 years, OP. Get more precise.
>>
>>46773713
/thread
>>
>>46773700
FATAL.
>>
File: robin-of-sherwood.jpg (69 KB, 360x450) Image search: [Google]
robin-of-sherwood.jpg
69 KB, 360x450
Sup.

I know there are inaccuracies, but god damn I'd love to play in a game like this.
>>
The clothing would be more colorful
>>
>>46775014

Depends who's wearing it. Villeins and labourers couldn't afford fancy dyes, so they had to settle for the natural colours of wool (white, grey, brown, black).

But damn right should the nobility and rich adventurers be wearing bright colours. I hate the trend of "realistic" medieval films and settings where EVERYONE wears brown. It doesn't make the world feel gritty, it makes the world look boring.
>>
>>46773700
Peasants would live pretty good lives for the most part. Also they'd bathe. The no bathing thing was only after the plague which marked the end of the medieval period.
>>
Depends where you are. Its not like it was all j7st some homogeneous mass no matter where you went. You would have a very different experience depending on where you ended up.
>>
>>46773700
First of all this >>46773713
Second, depends on the century.
>>
>>46775162
>The no bathing thing was only after the plague which marked the end of the medieval period.

People still washed, but submersion baths were not as readily available. Italy and South Germany still bathed quite regularly thanks to Roman infrastructure.
>>
File: The_Oregon_Trail_cover.jpg (19 KB, 256x335) Image search: [Google]
The_Oregon_Trail_cover.jpg
19 KB, 256x335
>>46773700
Roll for dysentry.

Roll to see how hard recovering from being wounded has crippled you.
>>
>>46773700

Like my average historic RPG I suppose.
>>
>>46775162
This peasants actually had pretty comfy life.
>>
>>46775561
>"You've saved the village from the bandits! Unfortunately the one hit they got in on you was with a rusty blade. You now have tetanus. You can keep playing with this character for a week before he dies, or roll up a new one."
>>
Reminder that your ancestors survived the medieval period.
>>
>>46776436
>Reminder that your ancestors survived the medieval period.

No, nobody in my family is that old.
>>
>>46775114
>nobility and rich adventurers be wearing bright colours
That looks unrealistic.
>>
>>46776028
Except for 90% tax rate, the random wars rolling through every second year, the constant banditry, the disease and the armies commandeering your farm every third year. Plus church tithes.

Summer was breddy gud though, lots of holidays.
>>
>>46773700
It'd involve time travel, because it's 100% impossible to recreate the past, especially that accurately.
>>
>>46773700
it would be like Mount and Blade Warband
>>
>>46776928
>Except for 90% tax rate
False, peasants were most of time taxed quite leniently to compered more modern times. Also usually some or most of taxes were done as work tending your lords farm. Which you were doing anyway when you tended your own crops.
>>
>>46776928
Learn some history and stop repeating enlightment era memes.
>>
>>46776928
>random wars rolling through every second year

Enh, it depends. War was a field sport, and if you intended to take and hold land burning out the smallfolk screws your ability to generate tithe and treasure going forward. Non-Alpine European states had more abused peasantry than folks whose rulers left their own backyards to war.

Incidentally, a mainland European-esque Middle Age land would have locks, canals, dams, and waterwheels like a motherfucker. One of arguably the first shareholder-owned corporations was set up to improve the Seine and regulate and operate dams.
>>
>>46776928
>Everything I learned about history I learned from GRRM and shitty fantasy RPGs
>>
>>46776436
>tfw when you can feel the disappointed eyes of your ancestors that survived Toba, the ice age, uncounted plagues, and any number of other localized or unrecorded disasters on you at all times
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.