[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D 5e General [5EG]: A message from HM Azalin Rex
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: 300px-Azalin.jpg (80 KB, 300x410) Image search: [Google]
300px-Azalin.jpg
80 KB, 300x410
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous: >>46753756

I would like to remind all of my fawning subjects that Strahd is a failure as a ruler, a lover, and a mage. That is all.
>>
>>46773546
All hail the lich-king!

What? I'm totally not one of his warlocks, I swear
>>
>crossbow rolls to hit at disadvantage if the target is immediately infront of your loaded bolt
>crossbow rolls to hit straight if the target is 60 feet away

Explain this shit.
>>
>>46773546
I have a question that may be related to this premise: Where do people living in Castle Ravenloft before all the Dark Powers nonsense do their business? Did they just dump the contents of their chamber pots off the cliff, raining crap and piss onto the quaint village of Barovia from 1000'?
>>
Elves are scum
>>
>>46773766
>Setting largely based on 16th century Europe
Basically yes.
>>
>>46773749
> I've never held crossbow, but know that they're neither clumsy nor unwieldy in melee.

It's not that it's easier to hit at range, it's that it's easier to get the shot off in the first place.

Bandit #41 isn't going to walk into your reach and just stand there waiting for you to shoot him.
>>
>>46773814
No, but Bandit #38 will. That guy's a jackass.
>>
>tfw my current group has mostly never played tabletops
I'm probably dumping them in the Mistlands (East Coastal Darkon). I might let them rework their starting gear on the assumption that they get the leftover unspent money from a max wealth roll to be nice (and so they can have at least a pack mule or horses)
>>
>>46773749
>>46773814
Basically, using a ranged weapon properly requires a steady hand and proper stance. If there's an enemy next to you, it's implied you're not just standing in place to be impaled, so it's a lot harder to get a proper shot off.

I'd consider a house rule wherein you can shoot while near an enemy without disadvantage but you grant advantage to all attacks against you. Because nothing says "reckless attack" like aiming carefully next to a dude trying to murder you.
>>
>tfw DMing for a new group and they're all board gamers, just staring at the battlemat and minis instead of imagining the fuck out of some shit.

How can I convince these noobs to enter the theater of the mind? I mean I can just sorta force a mat-less session on them since I'm DM, but I'd rather persuade them. Then Maybe I can reintroduce the mat later, for scenes where it feels important. Fuck drawing a map every time any creature appears though.
>>
Also okay, I have done it a few times in older editions, but I'm not sure how dicksh it would be in 5e.

I made the players give me a list of three permanent, uncommon to very rare items they might be interested in for their characters. I am likely giving them as their sole permanent magic item around level 4-6, once we move on to heavier adventures.

I might give a permanent or two more for important plot relevant things, in some cases they're definitely borrowed. But I'm thinking of giving them a not-yet-decided unique, that they will get to use a few times. And possibly have them in a position where they might have to pawn it for something important, likely not long before I actually start handing out their chosen item. Partly as a way to showcase that a lot of NPCs are actually huge dicks, without necessarily hurting them heavily with it.

Would I be going a bit too heavy?

(I'm usually an overly nice DM so I'm never sure how much being a dick is too much)
>>
>>46773834
That's explicitly in Bandit #38's statblock, though.

I know most posters here haven't read the book, but give me a little credit.
>>
Rules question 5e. I'm curious to know whether what happened was DM fuckery or actually mechanically possible.

In combat me and my party got into it with some kobolds in a storeroom of sorts, I set myself up in front of the door to allow nothing to get out without having to fight me first.

To start with some clarification, I'm playing a human and the room was very dimly lit by a torch on the ground which I dropped at the start of combat.

A kobold managed to fully hide behind a stack of objects, and I readied my action to blast it if it got close to me/in front of me. Kobold's next turn my character is alerted to the fact that the door opens behind me just in time to see that very same kobold run into the next room, apparently through me.

DM said it beat my passive perception and so I couldn't see it to stop it.

My rules question is rather simple. While stealthed/hidden in combat, do you use passive perception when you go through a character space? On the same note, can you go through an enemy space while hidden and proceed to open a door without provoking an AOO? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>46774085
5e generally wants you to have about 3-5 or 4-6 magic items at max level, so that sound so bad at low levels. I'd definetly consider upping it to two permanents as they'd be pretty character defining, ie a ranger with two magic swords and only those will be different than a ranger whose two magic items are a cloak of elvenkind and an Oathbow or something.

One magic item pretty much limits the weapon classes to ranged weaponry with magic ammunition or taking a magic weapon as their item so they aren't bumfuck useless in combat against things with Resistance/Immunity (which show up as early as CR 3 Lycanthropes and i'm sure otherstuff).
>>
>>46774085
>And possibly have them in a position where they might have to pawn it for something important,
A lot of people seem to forget one simple fact; part of the power of a magic item is that people like them. It's very likely that giving an NPC a magic item will greatly improve their opinion of the PC, possibly even enough to help them with certain tasks.

Or, in your case, give them money. The only part I take issue with is them "having" to pawn the magic item. Always give them a choice, and have some back-ups if they happen to accomplish what they need AND keep the item.

>>46774148
You can never go through a hostile creature's space unless you have an ability that lets you. Normal Kobolds don't, but this could have been a special Kobold, so no real problem there.

I would say, however, that any creature that moves through your space immediately alerts you to its presence. Perception is irrelevant, Stealth is irrelevant, you're moving through another creature's space. They would have to be incapacitated not to notice you. That's not in the rules, I don't think, and purely something I extrapolate as common sense, but his opinion might differ.
>>
>>46774172
>so that sound so bad at low levels
I meant NOT so bad

Also, if you are doing the very few, limited magic items I'd definetly suggest using the table for origins and quirks in the DMG. Definetly adds an extra layer of special on to them.
>>
>>46774172
I'm definitely going for low magic. Also I'm definitely making common, uncommon and some rare one-use items a lot easier to get.

>Lycanthropes and shit
Silvered. Like normally this a house rule, but Lycanthropes are literally why silvered exists without houseruling.
>>
>>46774148
Your DM was being a turd. When a creature attempts to hide, but then steps directly into your field of view they don't just magically stay hidden. Its hiding not invisibility. Maybe you should have rolled at disadvantage due to the light, but you should have still had a chance to stop it.
>>
>>46774084
I dunno, maybe give them an NPC to interact with? From my experience, it's hard to get players to roleplay unless there's NPCs involved.

>>46774148
Passive perception shouldn't be used in situations where you are specifically looking for something. It should exclusively be used when you shouldn't even know you're trying to find something.

Also, straight from the PHB, "you can move through a hostile creature's space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you." (Page 191)

Your DM is a douche.
>>
>>46774148
Raw? No, enemies can't move through your space unless they have a special ability or are two sizes smaller than you (so tiny)

At the same time, you can't block a doorway unless you're literally standing on the thresold because if you've crossed it the kobold can just move diagonally
>>
>>46774201
I didn't literally mean pawn for cash. I meant more, they need a favor, and more importantly they need a relatively paranoid NPCs trust. There will be ways around it, but he's there as a possible avenue for help, and likely the simplest of them, if at a cost.
>>
>>46774225
I used them as quick example but yeah, you sound like you're on top of things. I wish you luck.
>>
>>46774233
>>46774230
>>46774201
>>46774262
Alright, thank you all for the clarification. I was rather irritated about it happening because I was essentially forced to use a sleep spell on it to stop it from alerting the entire cave/dungeon of our presence.
>>
>>46774302
Don't discount your DM for being a douche. He's probably just ignorant of the rules. Bring it up in private and ask him if he wants to use the rules as they're written or use the ruling he made beforehand.
>>
>>46774148
Eh, I'd say if you were waiting for it to show up to smash it, you're basically on guard. You should have used an active perception check.

Probably with advantage, since it would be moving through your square, which a Kobold could do if it squeezed. I think.

On top of that, stealth generally ends if you lose your cover like that. There are whole features built around maintaining stealth out of cover (I think some Rogue subclasses have it, the UA Ranger does.)

So hypothetically, yeah. If that Kobold was some special ultra sneaky one that can maintain stealth out of cover, squeeze through enemy squares and rolled some boss stealth or something. I doubt it though. Sounds like DM just wanted it to escape.
>>
>>46774327
This right here. Don't open with antagonism; let him know, in private, before or after the game.

...But if he takes your feedback as an excuse to act like a turdburger, don't feel compelled to stay.
>>
>>46773814
>bandit #41 is getting assblasted by the barbarian
>walk up to his back
>point crossbow at center of mass
>harder shot than moving target 60 feet away
>>
>>46774444
>Bandit #41 walks up to barbarian with a crossbow
>Barbarian is completely aware of him
>Bandit #41 somehow manages to line up his shot just right against a raging mass of muscle and weapons
>>
>>46774444
>not just shooting him from where you're standing in the first place

You won't help your case by bringing up very specific situations that are retarded in principle

Either way he's most likely not standing still if he's getting mauled by a bearbarian
>>
>>46774484
Not sure if my post was too nondescript or if you have shit reading comprehension.

The implication in my example is that the barbarian is consuming bandit #41's attention while another character walks up to the bandit's back. I don't understand how you interpreted that as the bandit having the crossbow and approaching the barbarian that was stated immediately beforehand to be assblasting him.

>>46774530
Right, so it would be an easier shot if you were further away from the target being mauled.

Do you actually have a valid point to make or are you just arguing in favor of Wizards because you are incapable of critical thought?
>>
>>46774444
A 5-foot square is actually pretty big. Bandit #41 isn't standing still in that square, he's moving and dodging around, ducking blows, leaping over other blows, etc. Plus, there is no facing in D&D 5E. Bandit #41 sees you coming and then spends time making sure that you can't get a nice shot at him.
>>
>>46774571
>I don't understand how you interpreted that as the bandit having the crossbow and approaching the barbarian that was stated immediately beforehand to be assblasting him.
Because that's exactly what you said.

There are three actors in your scenario. Bandit 41, Barb, and you. You walk up to "his" back, and since you don't specify, it must be the last person you mentioned, the Barb.

You fucked up. Learn2English, fuck head.
>>
>Tfw you let your players take a feat at level 1
>Player shows up with a hill dwarf barbarian with the tough feat
>They are level 5 and he has almost double the other party members HP
>Rage means half damage on top of that
A BEAST! Though I cant deny that he is having fun and the party loves having around
>>
>>46774444
>Bandit #41 is getting assblasted by the barbarian
>walk up to his back
>point crossbow at center of mass
>center of mass moves because he's trying not to get hit by the fucking barbarian

Someone moving at a distance can be tracked easier (a lower amount of movement is required to change the angle of the shot), and you have time to lead it. As opposed to someone being well within range to smack your crossbow.

Remember, it's not disadvantage on a target within 5 feet. It's disadvantage for ANY SHOT you take if someone is within 5 feet.

If you want to bring up facing rules, the variant exists, and in your example you would have a regular shot as the advantage for being behind would cancel the disadvantage for being too close.
>>
>>46774669
Sounds like everyone is enjoying themselves.

Treasure this, Anon.
>>
>>46774444
Well if I were dm you would have advantage so you wouldn't be at a disadvantage in that particular situation because he is distracted
>>
Could I get a rough statline for Jaime Lannister at the start of ASOIAF?

I'm thinking a level 10 Battlemaster Fighter with 18 Dex, 14 Strength and Con, 16 Charisma, 12 Int and 8 Wis. Dueling Fighting Style. Sound good to you guys?
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016

So now that we've had a fuckton of these, do you think the developers realize how poorly-worded some parts of 5E are?

Say what you want about 4E, but the rules and terminology were really tight.

In 5E they have to keep explaining what the intention was behind some rule, or how a spell in the back of book doesn't work because it uses terminology from the front of the book which is later exception'd in the middle of the book.

The least they could have done is bold more key terms and include a goddamn glossary. Hell, make a PDF of one, explaining what a "melee weapon attack" actually is (and don't say it's obvious, even the rules answers had to explain it).

I really hope we get a PHB II or a DMG II that fixes things, or even a 5.5E.
>>
>Multiclassing into Fighter gives you all proficiencies except Heavy Armor
>Multiclassing into Ranger gives you the same and One Skill

That's dumb. New HouseRule: All first Levels get one skill from the new class's skill list.
>>
>>46774780
Every single edition of D&D had a ton of errata
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>46774881

Of course, but I feel like they went for a more conversational style, and now it's coming back to haunt them.

It's a game so you can change and interpret anything however you like, but when the people who made the game give contradictory rules interpretations on Twitter, then you know it could have been written better.
>>
just a quick question regarding reliable talent

let's say i'm a lvl 11 rogue have +5 to my dex modifier and have +8 trough proficiency and expertise on my sneak check and i now roll a 2

will this be treated as a 10 or as a 23?
>>
>>46774444
> I walk up to people and shoot them point-blank because I'm hardcore like that.

Stay in school, anon.
>>
Fudging rolls.
>>
>>46775341
RËÊËĒĒ3E
>>
>tfw that False Lifed Azalin pic just makes you feel like he would basically have a perfect Tony Jay voice

>>46775341
I have done it as a DM.
>>
Cthulhufag/Abyss-anon/Lord Nomic (I really should just get a trip and be consistent with the name) here, giving yet another update on my current project nobody gives a damn about.

Good news is, that I'm almost done, aside from figuring something else to put on the first page here (anybody got soem good ideas for nautical-themed feats/spells/items?), and adding some pictures of fish ripped from wikipedia or something.
Oh, and a name. Can't keep calling it "the book of underwater bullshit" once I've actually got it finished.

Also, the thing to so stupendously huge, even with 0 pictures, that I can't post it in one piece. Here's the rule part, I'll post the "monster manual" part (which is just small enough to be posted after the split) afterwards.
>>
File: Aboleth.jpg (125 KB, 835x1080) Image search: [Google]
Aboleth.jpg
125 KB, 835x1080
>>46775476
Scratch that, even split on its own the monster manual is too big. If you really want to see how I ported over that doofy aquatic Beholder variant (the one with crab claws) from 3rd edition, or what stats I gave to a giant mantis shrimp or a giant giant squid (that is, a giant version of the animal called the giant squid), I'll have to post it in two pieces.
>>
Are there any particularly good books or general reading material on roleplaying and character creation?
>>
Aight imna lvl three Bearbarian going to lvl 4 I have 17 STR, 15 Dex and 16 con. I was thinking of rounding out my scores at lvl 4 and picking up great weapon master or another feat at level 8 watcha think?
>>
For some reason I'm mildly bugged by the sheer cost of the Wizard's spellbook; I haven't quite banned the class, but I'm a bit iffy about it in a game that's mostly started as broke wanderers, it just feels like the Cyberdeck problem.
>>
>>46774871
No, that discrepancy is intentional and you shouldn't mess with it.

Fighter class features synergize with proficiencies better than ranger features, because most of what they do is use their armor and weapons. Ranger class features often interact directly with skills, and you won't really get any use of your multiclass without having access to some of them.

It's not like some douche at Wizards thought "hm, let's make rangers a strictly better multiclass option!" Frankly, considering how much rangers suck, they need the extra edge.

>>46774986
Neither expertise nor reliable talent have anything to do with attack rolls.
>>
>>46775476
What sort of compression are you using? Have you considered just hosting an SRD? You're clearly not worried about maintaining anonymity.
>>
>>46775667
I just convert the text on to pdf using the print to pdf function. I could post the original text file converted directly to pdf, but because it's done for the naturalcrit page, the raw format, particularly the statblocks, would look like ass.
>>
File: 106247.jpg (39 KB, 213x320) Image search: [Google]
106247.jpg
39 KB, 213x320
>>46775614

I can't recommend enough pic related.

It's on DriveThruRPG and print-on-demand at Lulu or you can find the PDF on 7chan.

If you've ever done any improv, it does a great job tying improv techniques to role-playing games. And if you haven't, it's a great introduction to improv through role-playing games (or doing role-playing games through improv, whatever).
>>
>>46775621
That's fine. Personally, I like to maximize whatever ability score I'm hitting things with as quickly as possible, but GWM is fun.
>>
>>46775614
If you looking for the full breadth of options see >>46774956
>>
>>46775760
There's a free compressor at smallpdf.com. You'll lose some quality, but if you've got several dozen pages to share it might be worth your while.
>>
>>46775661

Sneak check.

>>46774986

ASFAIR you're going to get the 23. The Reliable Talent makes the minimum ROLL 10, and then you get the bonus on top of it.
>>
>>46776000
I can't read, apparently.

And yeah, 23 is the result. Otherwise Reliable Talent would actually reduce your roll, which is silly.
>>
>>46775922
Thanks.
>>
File: thinky.w529.h352.jpg (12 KB, 529x351) Image search: [Google]
thinky.w529.h352.jpg
12 KB, 529x351
Pact of Blade or Pact of Chain?
>>
>>46776090
> 20 pages
> under a meg
I'll be in the bathroom with the door locked.
>>
>>46776108
Do you want to be the swordy stabby spell guy or the magic resistant bossy spell guy
>>
>>46776153
I am 100% certain that RAI the pseudodragon familiar doesn't grant you magic resistance.

A pseudodragon can CHOOSE to become a familiar and grant its magic resistance, but that's not what's happening when you cast the Find Familiar spell. You're binding a creature to your service.

But all that aside, it's just laughably OP and obviously nobody's intention, and if your DM lets you be resistant to magic at level 3 I feel sorry for his judgment.

>>46776108
That said, Pact of the Chain is still better.
>>
>>46776090
I really like most of this. The Druid circle is the one exception: it sort of dances the line between CoL and CoM without really committing to either, but doesn't really occupy a niche of its own.

It works a bit better when your bestiary is taken into account, but I'm not really wowed by it.

That warlock pact is a fucking winner, though.
>>
True, true, and true. He's basically that edgy guy who thinks he's really smart and awesome, but really isn't. So he goes full on razor sharp and makes a deal with the dark powers.

The thing about being a bad ruler is debatable, his people do fear him after all, but they are also starving and shit even though Strahd has basically no real enemies in the realm. Strahd sucks.
>>
>>46776200
Raw they can, RAI goes either way. The imp familiar is explicitly a variant of the default imp stat block that applies when a person gets a familiar that is an imp. The imp familiar variant shares magic resistance with it's master.
>>
>>46776376
The druid was pretty much designed as aquatic-focused version of CoL, hence most of the abilities being slight variations of CoL. The wildshape thing was added because it'd make sense for a sea-focused druid to be able to transform into sea creatures as soon as he gets wildshape, with the better wildshape (but only into aquatic creatures) being a compensation for having more specialized abilities.

The warlock was admittably created entirely because I though Davey Jones was to best thing about the Pirates of the Caribean movies (also because there is a lot of tales about a captain of a ship selling his soul to the devil in order to win a battle or complete a dangerous voyage, but really it's mostly Davey from PotC).
>>
Players need to stop. You're running the hobby.
>>
>>46776641
>The druid was pretty much designed as aquatic-focused version of CoL
I feel like I would have just handled that with circle spells. Replace misty step with alter self or something.
>>
>>46776610
I'm looking at the stat block. Where does it say the imp grants SR to its master?
>>
Would any DM's out there left rogues sneak attack with alchemist fire/acid? And would you let thieves use them as a bonus action?

I am leaning toward no one the first and yes on the second.
>>
>>46776759
If I recall it says in in the MM.

>Source: I was a wizard with a quasit.
>>
>>46776779
> SA with flasks
They don't meet the requirements for sneak attack, so no.

> Throw as a bonus action
Still no. How would you justify this?
>>
>>46776779
>>46776828

To clarify:

>Sneak attack
Of course not, sneak attack can only be used with finesse or ranged weapons. Jars aren't weapons.

>Bonus action
Also no, because throwing them isn't using an object. It's making an attack roll.
>>
>>46776779
Maybe disadvantage on a save because of the surprise
>>
>>46776828
>don't meet requirements
They are thrown weapons. Mike Mearls said he would allow thrown weapons. I say no because they are improvised, and because Mearls went on to say that he would allow anything that dealt a d6 or less. Acid deals more, though without a modifier, and AF deals less, so I could see a DM okaying it as the palyer hitting someone in the face or a vital spot with the flask/splash.

>how could you justify
The descriptions of the items say that an attack roll is made as part of the action of using the item, but it's still the use object action.
>>
File: IMG_20160419_162905.jpg (1 MB, 2951x2989) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160419_162905.jpg
1 MB, 2951x2989
>>46776759
I took a picture for you
>>
>>46776847
I don't agree with it, but the justification for the first is that thrown weapons have a range and could therefore be considered 'ranged weapons' since no actual definition exists.

And you do make an attack roll, but you make it as part of the use object action, not the attack action. Plus it's silly to suggest that someone could poor a vial on the ground, but not splash it's contents onto a person.
>>
>>46776899
>The descriptions of the items say that an attack roll is made as part of the action of using the item, but it's still the use object action.
No, it's now an attack. Using the object would not entail trying to hit a target.

Also
> how could you justify
I said "would." Questioning your methods is not the same as frothing outrage, anon.
>>
>>46776962
>since no actual definition exists.
Except, you know, in the weapons table.
>>
>>46776962
The second point could be argued, but a "ranged weapon" is specifically a weapon with the ranged property.

Either way, does it really make sense to get precision damage with a splash damage source?
>>
>>46776954
well played
>>
Give me some good insults to use for Vicious Mockery
>>
>>46776976
It says 'As an action you can splash the contents of the vial on a creature within 5 feet of you or throw the vial up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact' and it's an object.

I wasn't saying you were mad, separating the part I was replying to.

>>46776997
That's actually true. Mike Mearls is a fool. Thanks, further justification that it doesn't work.
>>
>>46776954
>Imp block in PHB is different from MM, so it takes precedence
>Proof: picture of Pseudodragon from the MM

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you use the PHB or you use the MM.
>>
>>46777030
No it doesn't, that why I was leaning toward no on the first thing. I could see a DM justifying it though, based on what Mike Mearls said about thrown weapons and sneak attack, and the fact that thrown weapons can be seen to be 'ranged'
>>
>>46776779
I'd probably agree with you. No sneak attack, but their nimble thief fingers could possibly throw the vials. I never really got what what are they supposed to Use an Object with, caltrop and ball bearing shenanigans?
>>
>>46777111
I think the healers kit is the one people like.
>>
>>46774764
He'd be an NPC, so no classes.
>>
>>46777156
>Major point-of-view character
>NPC

Pick one
>>
>>46777066
>As an action you can splash the contents of the vial on a creature within 5 feet of you
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the opponent isn't just going to fucking stand there while you uncork a flask and dump it over him.

If you as the DM want to allow an attack as a bonus action, that's your right. I would not rule this way, and it works warrant an attack roll in either case.
>>
>>46777080
I never said the phb took precedence.

What you've got here is a classic case of specific versus general, and specific always wins.

The phb provides the general rules for imps. The monster manual provides specific rules for imp familiars. Specific wins, so the monster manual trumps.
>>
>>46777170
>works warrant
Would** warrant. Fat fingered that one.
>>
>>46777080
I'd say the MM block always takes precedence because, well, it is the core creature book.

Also:

>"Familiar. The imp can enter into a contract to serve an<;>ther creature as a familiar, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master. While the two are bonded, the master can sense what the imp senses as long as they are within l mile of each other. While the imp is within 10 feet of its master, the master shares the imp's Magic Resistance trait. If its master violates the terms of the contract, the imp can end its service as a familiar, ending the telepathic bond."

MM, pg 69.
>>
>>46774957
It's not actually that different in actual practice unless you're hugely autistic.
Your perception of it IS different though, and you're likely viewing it through a lens of "this change is more immediately relevant to my personal experiences", rather then on an intellectual "I am aware that editions and rules changed in the past and had errata even if I did not play them personally."
>>
>>46777170
The healers kit also says that you use an action, and it's a valid item for fast hands. So is oil. So saying they can splash someone is saying that they could completely empty a vial of oil onto the ground under someone, but not try to splash that person.
>>
>>46777248
saying they can't splash someone
>>
>>46777248
>>46777281
> no, you can't answer diplomatically
> you HAVE to do it MY way
Ok.
>>
>>46777170
The thing this argument is based upon is a feature called Fast Hands, from the Thief archetype. It allows a character to take the Use an Object action as a bonus action.
>>
>>46777322
I know. I disagree with him.
>>
>>46777309
I'm not saying you have to do it my way, I'm try to make the argument that my way is the way it should be done. We do use the same rulebook after all so our ruling should be consistent, otherwise Jeremy Crawford and Mike Mearls wouldn't bother answering questions.

You obviously don't think that my reasoning is valid, but I didn't come here to have people explain that we are all special snowflakes and all our opinions are valid. I came here so you could tell me why you think I'm wrong, and maybe I can understand the intent of the rule.
>>
>>46777424
>I didn't come here to have people explain that we are all special snowflakes and all our opinions are valid.
Your opinion is valid. I don't agree with it.

I came here so you could tell me why you think I'm wrong, and maybe I can understand the intent of the rule.
I did, at least 3 times: there's a difference between smashing a vial on the ground and trying to hit a target with what is, in effect, an improvised weapon.

You don't get to be deliberately thick and then accuse people who disagree with you of le butthurt tummyfeels.
>>
I would rule throwing a vial is using an item, not making an attack
IIRC the sage advice agrees with me
>>
>>46777564
There's nothing that says you can't make an attack roll as part of the "use an item" action. So I'd say you're right.

>>46777424
>>46777491
>You can use an attack item with cunning action
>You can't sneak attack with an object that isn't a weapon

Now stop taking up space with childish insults.
>>
What are some things to do with darkness -without- any warlock levels or the special sight associated with it.

I know it can be used for a smoke screen like effect, but the sphere is so small I can't imagine it blocking line of sight for very long (maybe it can be used to flush someone out of cover lest they be effectively disabled?).

I want to be able to fight someone inside of it but I can't see a way to reasonably do that without devil sight. There's not really blind fight that I know of. I guess I could pop it up when fighting someone invisible to even the playing field.
I'm already thinking of having my character train with the sphere to know shit like how many steps it takes him to reach the middle or cross it completely.

This is as a way of the shadows monk by the way, since that probably matters. I realize this ability would be so much better with devil sight, I specifically want to use it without a way to see through it.
>>
>>46777491
You can poor the oil out. It's not you throwing the flask at the ground under them, it's emptying the vial either way. I think the attack roll just represents pooring it on the person, but that doesn't make it an attack action. Plus this would result in an average of 7 damage, at most, per round. That's actually kinda week compared to a second weapon, unless the target lets alchemist fire burn on them for a while.
>>
>>46777564
I can't find a sage advice about it. I found one about the healers hit and about magic items, but not objects that require attack rolls.
>>
>>46777592
>Now stop taking up space with childish insults.
Janitor application fell through, huh?
>>
>>46777592
We aren't using childish insult you stupid doo-doo head.
>>
You get to redesign a single class and all subclasses associated with it. What do you change?

I for one, redesign fighter. I remove battle master and make it's features baseline for all fighters.
>>
File: rin free shrugs.jpg (195 KB, 449x642) Image search: [Google]
rin free shrugs.jpg
195 KB, 449x642
>>46777791
I remove ranger and make it a series of fighter archetypes.
>>
>>46777791
Luckily we're talking hypotheticals because that one stupid ass thing idea
>>
>>46777823
> MEEEEEEEMES DUDE
>>
>>46777791
I redesign the warlock and just make it nothing so people wouldn't have to waste calories carrying those pages around.
>>
>>46777867
How is it a meme? Ranger used to be a subclass of fighter.
>>
>>46777823
Shit.

>>46777845
Wrong.

>>46777880
Cancer.
>>
About makings attack rolls outside of an Attack action:

>Green-Flame Blade
>Booming Blade

Both require a Cast a Spell action, both ask for an attack roll. I'd rule throwing a vial is a similar case.
>>
>>46777974
Otherwise, this would require another question. Can a martial throw two vials because of his Extra Attack feature?
>>
>Things I'm digging out for Ravenloft
I'm surprised I still have it but I'm thinking of using A Mighty Fortress for a lot of inspiration, including the overall tech level. I might actually just stop using the veiled christian churches and go all out, among other things.
>>
>>46777219
That is a variant, specifically mentioning contacts.
>>
>>46777791
Ranger. I more or less change it to Ambuscade Ranger with the following changes.

>1d10 hit die
>favoured enemy re-added
>ability to change terrains/enemies with seven days of training
>attack action with ambuscade removed
>half-progression sneak attack dice added
>>
The text about changelings in the UA are really vague, I need some help making my Changeling Rogue Swashbuckler, Nil.
First off does his name sound right? How old do changelings get? What society if any do they have? Culture? Anything helps, even homebrew.
>>
>>46778127
Can a martial throw two stones with Extra attack?
>>
>>46778213
I believe Nil is actually a canon NPC name. Read Races of Eberron, or ask your DM.

I played a Changeling Wild Magic sorcerer named Hush.
>>
>>46777923
No, it used to be a class in the warrior category, same as fighter.

Unless you mean OD&D in which case it's so old it's really not relevant anymore.

>>46778127
No. Extra Attack only applies when you take the "Attack" action, not the "Use an Object" action.
>>
>>46778222
Yes. 2 weapon attacks with improvised weapons.

And two thrown vials, if you want.
>>
>>46778345
it was a fighter subclass in OD&D, but he probably means 1st edition AD&D, where it was also a fighter subclass.
>>
>>46774620
Yeah, nah, you're just a fucking fool. The conjugation of the verbs in the second and third lines imply first person. That's the syntax used in greentext. Would you happen to be new here?
>>
>>46778499
The 1E Ranger was, like the 2E Ranger, a Warrior class, not a subclass.
>>
whats the most broke as fuck shit you can get at level 5? homebrews included.
>>
>>46778559
Level 5 shitposter with the munchkin archetype is good.
>>
>>46774715
Thanks; That explanation answers the question reasonably with corroboration of the game's mechanics.

>>46775220
Way to entirely miss the objective of the example. Maybe it is you who should be paying more attention in school.
>>
>>46778345
Is throwing a stone considered a "Use an object" action?
>>
>>46778512
>>46778624
> I reply to things hours later because my fragile ego won't allow me to do otherwise
>>
>>46778645
It's probably an improvised weapon. A thrown flask of holy water is used exactly as intended.

Of course, with stones, you'll probably run into an ammo problem trying to use Extra Attack unless you're holding a stack of them with your other hand.
>>
>>46778196
This sounds like a reasonable nerf for the Ambuscade Ranger. Have you considered designing a complete level progression tree for it?
>>
File: Mojo_Jojo.gif (22 KB, 500x412) Image search: [Google]
Mojo_Jojo.gif
22 KB, 500x412
>>46778624
>>
File: page.png (744 KB, 797x1076) Image search: [Google]
page.png
744 KB, 797x1076
>>46778544
???
>>
>>46778740
Might as well redo the Paladin class while we're at it.
>>
>>46778739
Oh, fuck, I can't read it any other way now.
>>
>>46778693
I have not, as WotC never said what the higher-level abilities for the subclasses were.
>>
>>46778692
> Stones
> Improvised weapon
> Literally the first weapon used by man.
> We made slings literally to hurl them farther.

Throwing a vial is the exact same concept.
>>
>>46778899
>Slings shoot stones
Slings do not, and have never, shot random stones off the ground. They shoot bullet stones, which are smoothed and rounded.

Besides, the first weapon was obviously sticks.
>>
>>46778941
>Slings do not, and have never, shot random stones off the ground.
Citation fucking needed.

You could throw dogshit with a sling. Just because it's less effective doesn't mean it wasn't done.
>>
>>46778941
Sticks are a womans weapon! With a good stone by your side, how can you go wrong in melee.

> A sling is a projectile weapon typically used to throw a blunt projectile such as a stone, clay, or lead "sling-bullet".

Literally the first line in Wikipedia.
>>
>>46778941
> The simplest projectile was a stone, preferably well-rounded. Suitable ammunition is frequently from a river. The size of the projectiles can vary dramatically, from pebbles massing no more than 50 grams (1.8 oz) to fist-sized stones massing 500 grams (18 oz) or more.

But sure, not "random" stone could be used.

> Being this dumb on the fucking internet.
>>
>>46778899
The entry on the vials specifically says, 'treating the vial as an improvised weapon for the attack' so... Make of that what you will. On the one hand it calls it out and might as well say, "This isn't an improvised weapon, but use it like one", but on the other it seems silly to say that a fighter couldn't use it as an improvised thrown weapon, which his extra attack feature would apply to. Maybe both are applicable. I mean that's the case for using every other object as an improvised weapon so who knows, but other objects also only deal 1d4.
>>
>>46779120

>I pick up a rock off the ground to use in my sling

Ok, you've got disadvantage.

>During the one hour short rest, I look in the stream for smooth, well-rounded sling stones.

Ok, roll me an investigation roll. The result of the roll is how many regular sling stones you find.
>>
File: absolutelydisgusting.png (81 KB, 204x200) Image search: [Google]
absolutelydisgusting.png
81 KB, 204x200
Anyone got any cool rules/ideas for exotic cooking? My players are going to be in a desert setting where all they have to eat for the most part is poisonous plants and giant scorpions and the like.
>>
>>46779104
>You have a woman's weapon milord
>I bet that stick has never had to smash a man's brain, you never had to scoop out the grey matter with that stick to feed yourself while lost at sea, weeks from the closest port, after you'd already finished eating the ropes and the sails
>>
>>46779120
Everyone's this dumb on the fucking internet.
>>
>>46779198
But a DM can rule that an improvised weapon counts as another weapon and deal damage as such, and I think that's basically what this would be.
>>
>>46779211
DMs making people roll for dumb shit was last thread, anon.

Try to keep up.
>>
>>46779211
Do you give disadvantage on attacks with swords that are not wiped clean of blood, or that are not described as being sharpened and maintained regularly?
>>
>>46776090

The one thing I think is kind of strong is teleporting through the fog cloud. It doesn't even require an action.
>>
>>46779272
Not that anon, but yes, because a dull sword shouldn't penetrate armor nearly as well.

Random stones aren't nearly as ballistically effective as smooth, rounded ones.
>>
>>46777609

Use it to obscure your self, maybe try to find them using a perception check. It's also a free start and end point for your level 6 ability.
>>
>>46779300
> muh simulationist experience!
>>
>>46779300
> Sorry, anon, but your character has died from fecal toxicity
> That's what you get for not narrating having taken a shit for the past six months.
>>
>>46779300
> The aerodynamic properties of a fast-moving rock are directly comparable to sword maintenance
>>
>>46779300
>sword
>penetrate armor
baka desu senpai
>>
>>46779380
I never fucking said that. Those are separate paragraphs for a reason.

>>46779397
>A longsword is listed as dealing slashing damage, so obviously it can't be used to penetrate armor in a piercing fashion because the books says so

>>46779377
It's assumed you take shits and maintain your weapon, but if it's SPECIFICALLY DESCRIBED as a weapon in poor condition, that's a different situation.
>>
>>46779479
> is a simulationist prick
> but not that much of one
>>
>tfw you just give everyone disadvantage unless the blade is specifically stated to be damascus steel
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Races_Halfling_portrait.png (45 KB, 197x194) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Races_Halfling_portrait.png
45 KB, 197x194
>>46778661
I have a life outside of /tg/, anon. You should try doing something other than shitposting literally all day. Can't believe you're proud of that trait, fucking lol. Anyway, seriously, either your reading comprehension is abysmal or you're too new to be posting here and need to lurk moar - it seems you're on that part though, with the whole shitposting all day habit you have going. Don't bother replying, you're clearly vastly superior to me in many facets including intellect, tabletop rpg knowledge, logic, debate, and manhood.

pic related, mfw you reply to this with more unrelated bullshit to further propagate your invalid argument.
>>
>>46779662
> Damascus steel
I play in the Realms.

I'm fucked.
>>
>>46778892
Yeah. You should have a crack at it.
>>
>>46779214
giant scorpions would be delicious
>>
>>46779669
Literally proving their point. Your frail ego is shattering when we call you a fag cuck.
>>
>>46779614
Basically, yeah
>>
>>46779214
goodberry
>>
>>46779746
>goodberry cake
>>
>>46779669
> Bawwwwwwwwww
>>
>>46779669
Not enough of a life to warrant just walking away, it seems.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Races_Halfling_portrait2.png (169 KB, 418x508) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Races_Halfling_portrait2.png
169 KB, 418x508
>>46779759
>>46779726
>>46779829
>this hypocrisy
I'm toasting in this bread regardless, keep the ad hominem coming!
>>
Please stop feeding the troll
Thanks and good night
>>
>>46779718
>>46779746
banning all the food/water spells! no magic'ing your way out of this one. and thinking about making cooking checks for things like poisonous animals, etc
>>
>>46779906
>banning all the food/water spells
i hope they know about this before they make their characters.
>>
>>46779906
You could make a check whose DC increments negatively with the time spent cooking
>>
>>46779906
Even prestidigitation?
>>
File: shadowrun.jpg (847 KB, 1176x1000) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun.jpg
847 KB, 1176x1000
>>46779935
of course! i wouldn't fuck my players.
>>46779973
I'd probably allow prestidigation, but if they tried to eat something with no nutrition in it they'd be able to taste it and whatnot but it'd still do nothing for you.
>>46779945
good idea! thinking about benefits to certain foods if they're well prepared.
>>
>>46779869
I'll use a debate term to show them how smart I am. Now they scared cuz de no i gots philosophy 101 under my belt.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Races_Halfling_portrait3.png (363 KB, 743x761) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Races_Halfling_portrait3.png
363 KB, 743x761
>>46780479
meta ad hominem. great show, you fuckwit.

also, doesn't take a university course to understand the most common logical fallacy.
>>
>>46780121
I hope you have plans to add a Mummy Lord there. One of its regional effects is literally all food molders and all water evaporates the moment they are brought into its lair.
>>
>>46780585
>"Shit someone called me out on my bullshit, better do some damage control."
>"Nuh uh, I didn't even go to college."
>>
>>46779756
>>46779746
I've always figured that goodberries would be great to do for a desert. Maybe cut them to make stars or other shapes, like the strawberries that are cut to resemble flowers!
>>
>>46780706
Didnt he start with the ad hominum in the first place?
>>
>>46781132
Indeed he did.
>>
>>46781132
I don't know, I came in late. I just jumped on the train because he seemed to be taking the whole thing way too seriously.
>>
So idk if it's a good or bad idea with new players. We've settled on something mostly reasonable for starting gear. A bit more than they should have (Background + something roughly equivalent to max gold) and from that point on I basically told them to completely ignore the PHB price table, since they'd either be haggling for a lot of shit or I'd be using different price listings and shit, just keep it as a guideline for what they could likely buy.

My last games were relatively simple cash wise, with the last time I was more elaborate than a countryside village inn going back all the way to 3.5 ten years ago.

>tfw you have stage fright with a new group
>>
>>46781301
Smoke a blunt before the game. It's what I do. Hell, one of my players bought an oz. in exchange for a moonblade.
>>
>>46780706
All these assumptions. Not all university students study philosophy, baka gaijin.

>>46781132
>>46781152
Still no valid arguments; I'm not surprised.
>>
>>46781433
>Hell, one of my players bought an oz. in exchange for a moonblade.
Yeah if my group bought me an oz they'd get whatever non-artifact item their heart desires
>>
>>46773779
The strange thing is the 16th century aspect is so forced since the actual source material is 19th century and set in the 18th century.
>>
>>46781648
It gave them an excuse to have longbows, crossbows and chainmail as viable shit I guess.

I do like using the reformation as a model for at least some stuff because of how many very human horrors happened in the 16th-17th centuries (iirc the 17th actually tops the 20th century for sheer destruction and death)
>>
What the hell is the point in playing any rogue sub-class other than assassin? Them auto-crits. Play a high-elf and take greenflame blade to use with your sneak attacks. Additionally, apply poison to your weapon.

every time an enemy is surprised
>double weapon damage die
>double sneak attack damage dice
>double green flame blade damage dice
>double poison damage dice

Now, does surprised just refer to surprise round in combat?
>>
>>46780585
> ad hominem

Ad hominem is "You're retarded, so it follows that so is your argument."

All anybody's saying here is "You're Retarded, full stop."

It's not ad hominem if it's the core of the argument.
>>
>>46781855
And furthermore, is this possible?
>party of all assassin rogues
>enter combat with multiple enemies with a surprise round
>every rogue attacks a single target
>after attack, run away from the fight and rendez-vous
>return to enemy group
>repeat until everyone in the group is dead
>>
>>46781921
Shut up, you gay fucking retard
>>
>>46781931
Not if your DM has 2 brain cells to run together, but theoretically yes.

I'd like to think that a DM dealing with a party with at least 3 levels in Assassin Rogue would be prepared to deal with it, though.
>>
>>46781947
That's the spirit.
>>
>>46781968
Without the DM metagaming and giving all or the majority of the enemies you face feats/features/whatever that gives them immunity to surprise, there isn't any reason it wouldn't be viable though, right?
>>
>>46781855
Because your DM won't always hand you encounters made up of easily-surprised enemies that can be poisoned and hit with melee weapons.

Because the double dice thing doesn't kick in until level 17.

Because Fast Hands and Mage Hand Legerdemain are also pretty cool.
>>
>>46781855
>if you don't surprise enemies, your entire archetype is wasted
>if you do surprise enemies, you will only get 1-4 attacks off typically before you're no longer doing anything special
>your out of combat features are weak and conflict with one another
>the double damage capstone is only useful against things with very high HP (otherwise you're just overkilling and wasting damage), but things with very high HP usually have good enough CON to save against it in which case it does nothing
thief gets fast hands which is always useful, supreme sneak which is always useful, use magic device which is always useful, and thief's reflexes which is a fucking incredible archetype capstone that blows the assassin's out of the water. arcane trickster gets sick wizard spells, mage hand legerdemain which is excellent, the ability to cause disadvantage on its saving throws which is phenomenal, the ability to create advantage for itself using mage hand, and an admittedly mediocre capstone
>>
>>46782016
>Without the DM metagaming
They're not going to be surprised every time you come back if they know you've been there once. They aren't going to be surprised just because you left and came back.

If they pass their checks to spot you, they can follow you or call in reinforcements or alert runners or shoot back as you retreat. Leaving the area doesn't always mean leaving combat.

But seriously:
>DM
>Metagaming
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>46782090
"The party all uses assassinate. All the enemies they face are barbarians that get to act in surprise rounds." is what I'm referring to. I appreciate the first part of your post though, that was actually helpful.
>>
>>46782016

A DM doesn't have to give them any such thing, all they have to do is use common sense.

This is how the scenario should work:

>assassins sneak into bandit camp, go unnoticed
>assassins run in, get their surprise round, completely murder a dude or two
>assassins run away and bandits are now freaked out because they just saw one or two of their friends get shot to death
>assassins come back to pick off some more dudes
>bandits are completely expecting this and actively searching, meaning they're all looking for you (and thus not just using Passive Perception)
>one of them rolls good, sees you
>begin battle

That's how I'd run it. Of course I don't know about your DM, he might be a literal mongoloid, in which case have fun exploiting his retardation!

>>46782046

Don't forget Swashbuckler. Sneak Attacking by yourself, insulting dudes to make them attack you, and getting half of Mobile for free. Fuck yeah, Swashbuckler
>>
>>46782046
I don't disagree with you, but even if they're not surprised, you get advantage on the first round of any combat you act before your target.

That's huge, beginning on level 3. If you dual wield, that's two attacks with advantage, a fair chance to crit.
>>
With this class feature, you must have spent an action to cast Mage Hand already, correct? If so, I may just make a habit of casting it every 50 seconds by default and have it carry my bag of daggers.

Furthermore, as I understand it, the mage hand cannot make attack actions; Can it hold a bag of daggers, or actually, broken glass and razor blades would probably work better, over an enemy's head and turn that bag inside out?
>>
>>46782369
> My initiative will always be higher than what I'm fighting.
> I will always surprise my opponents.
Well, on the off-chance you don't, it might be nice to be able to drop a bag of ball bearings on the ground, move away, and maybe also fire a crossbow bolt as you flee.

Sure would be nice if you had a feature that let you do all three of those in one turn...
>>
>>46781855
Assassins excel at surprise-and-kill tactics. No surprise (which can be very difficult to get if you aren't doing a city intrigue campaign) and the Assassin is only as good as or worse than the other archetypes.

Swashbucklers are better at control and straight-up combat.

Arcane Tricksters get a greater amount of variety and potent magical tricks.

Thieves get shafted for a while, unless one is very creative with items. At level 13, the Thief becomes extremely versatile if the DM hasn't been short-changing on the magic items, while at level 17 he gets a feature that effectively doubles the damage of the first round, but he gets to do it guaranteed rather than having to hope for surprise.

Masterminds... Have a very particular niche. No other rogue is as good at them at doing the very specific things they do.

TL;DR: Assassin may be the strongest dip for the rogue archetypes, but it in many ways is less powerful than the others barring Mastermind.

Also, there is the fact that there is both a feat and a set of magic items that completely negate the main advantages of being an Assassin. "Sneak Attack critical!" "Nope, I have Alert."
>>
>>46782409
My Arcane Trickster has a Quasit hireling (he works for 7 silver a day and just wants the money so he can get drunk off his ass), a familiar (he used a spell scroll to summon it; he tries to keep it out of danger as much as possible), and his mage hand legerdemain.
>quasit can activate traps/oil/ball bearings/caltrops and can even attack
>familiar can activate oil/ball bearings/caltrops
>mage hand can activate traps/oil/ball bearings/caltrops

Pretty hype to make use of all this
>>
>>46782397
i don't think pouring broken glass onto someone's head would actually hurt them at all. you wouldn't get enough force behind the glass to deal real damage, which would require throwing them at high speed or dropping them from a great height. it'd also have to be either an attack roll or dex save that would be very hard to hit for the mage hand
>>
>>46782502
Atypical, but good for you. Have fun.
>>
>>46782397
Pouring daggers on someone's head wouldn't really do anything
>>
>>46781931
>>46782016
I don't think it would be metagaming for the DM to make campsites that require more than one movement action to maneuver through without getting caught.

And camps with alarm bells.
>>
>>46782553
>>46782521
But glitter bombs could do it!
>>
>>46782521
>>46782553
>>46782553

I imagine that if a punch deals at least 1 point of damage, that dropping a knife on an unarmored head would deal at least 1 point of damage.
>>
>>46782610
You have either never been in a fight, which is totally reasonable, or you don't understand physics. Getting punched fucking hurts, having things dropped on your head isn't that bad if they don't fall for a bit. Even if they are sharp.
>>
>>46773546
Does anyone have any suggestions for running a historical campaign (set 400-1000)?

Can't find many/any official resources.
>>
Do you guys think we'll see the full Mystic class by the end of the year?
>>
>>46782502
that quasit hireling is underpaid.
>>
>>46782683
http://archmagev.com/2nd_Ed/

a few historical campaign books in here.
>>
>>46782683
A lot happened in that time, Anon. Are you looking for appropriate fantasy pointers or just a general primer on the late Bronze Age?
>>
>>46782735
and here is the first ed files

http://archmagev.com/2nd_Ed/
>>
>>46782692
It will probably be in Darksun's supplement.

>>46782683
Look up the 2e books HR1 Vikings, HR2 Charlemagne's Paladins, and HR7 The Crusades. If you want to do subroman britain or byzantium, you could probably make use of HR3 Celts or HR5 The Glory of Rome.
>>
>>46782757
baka anon

http://archmagev.com/1st_Ed/
>>
>>46782683

Uh, vague much?

400-1000AC or BC? Where? 600 years is a huge fucking period anyway, what on earth are we supposed to say about it?
>>
>>46782672
Actually I've been in quite a few, although not as an adult. Mage Hand has a range of 30ft, so in theory a 10 meter drop is possible;

>vf = sqrt( vi^2 + 2*a*d )
>set down as the positive direction
>vi=0m/s; a=g=10m/s^2; d=10m

vf = sqrt( 0 + (2)(10m/s^2)(10m)
vf = sqrt( 200 m^2/s^2 )
vf = sqrt(2)*10 m/s
vf ~ 14 m/s

(14m/s) * (3600s/hr) * ((1/1000)km/m) = 50.4 km/hr = 31.3 mph

Do you still doubt that that would hurt significantly?
>>
>>46782901

Did all your fights take place in a vacuum
>>
>>46782928
I may be mistaken, but to my understanding, a knife falling 10 meters would not be significantly affected by air resistance.
>>
>>46782901
That would sting a bit, but that's a bit more than just dumping it on someones head.
>>
>>46782683
Buy Crusader Kings. Paradox deserves your money.
Pirate all the DLC. They don't deserve that much of your money.

Now you've got a large world to run in: you've got europe, northern africa, western asia, and the indian subcontinent.

Have the players pick a date and a region to start in. It's reasonably historically accurate.

Make the campaign highly political. The players will be interacting with dukes and kings. They may help determine the course of history by influencing one king to go to war or not.

Before each session, load up the map, and select the king or duke that the party will be interacting with.

Try to get a feel for what that computer character would want to do based on their situation. Pause the game.

Run the session. Party interacts with duke, and influences his decision. After the session, do whatever the duke decided to do after interacting with the players. Play the world out as that duke for however long is appropriate based on the player's actions and decisions. Could be months if they're traveling. Save the world to be jumped into later on a different ruler.

The most important rule is to have lots of downtime, to allow events to pass. Whether that's travel downtime, or rest downtime, dates pass.
>>
>>46782892
400-1000 is Europe in the Early Middle Ages, stretching from (roughly) the fall of Western Rome (and the rise of the Italian Ostrogoths) to the Ascendancy of Eastern Rome (embodied in events such as Justinian's reconquest and the formation of the Byzantine Papacy). Not that vague desu.
>>
>>46782901
You're ignoring a lot of physical factors that make stabbing someone with a knife lethal. A stab has the weight of your hand and arm behind it. Also, typical stabs are generally faster than 31.3 mph.

Further, a knife stab has your arm and hand stabilizing it: constantly applying force to keep it going along a relatively straight path.

While a dropped knife is just as likely to hit skull, and then bounce off. It'll keep falling down, but it'll be tumbling down your body rather than getting any real penetration.

That's assuming it hits. As DM I'd make it a ranged attack roll using dexterity or intelligence. I haven't decided what's appropriate for mage hand maneuvers. With disadvantage if the target is moving.
>>
How would the DMs in this thread feel if their players wanted their starting weapon to become magical rather than swap out for a magic weapon midway?

For example, my character has a family greataxe which he starts out with and it's fine for a normal weapon. But as time goes on and maybe the character discovers the secret behind the heirloom, it upgrades to a magical weapon with some stat boosts?
>>
>>46783212
At least 1 damage on a hit though, right?
>>
>>46783249
I have an artifact, which my players are about to find, that lets them convert magic items into other magic items. For the most part though DM's seem fine with transferring enchantments.
>>
File: Sight_2016_04_20_004350_948.jpg (371 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
Sight_2016_04_20_004350_948.jpg
371 KB, 900x1600
Not sure where else to post this, but pic related is what I used instead of a regular mini because I was to cheap to shell out for one.

Drawing on a 2.5X3 centimeter piece of paper is kill
>>
>>46783253
yeah, that seems fair. Cats bite with 1 damage. I'd image a dropped knife is probably more lethal than that, but not by much.

>>46783249
I'd want each of the characters to take a 3 level dip in warlock for pact of the blade to reflect their bond with the weapon's spirits but in reality what you just described is perfectly fine, has plot hooks, and is what I would do.
>>
>>46783316
Hey, nice. Laminate it so it doesn't get damaged. Can you take a better resolution pic?
>>
>>46783318
But m-muh capstone... awesome, yeah I'll bring up the option to my DM tomorrow. I just really like axes, even though I know greatswords are technically better
>>
>>46776954

Those tabs though
>>
>>46783356
I don't think we have a lamination machine at the office, plus it's already tiny as hell. And I don't know if I can, my phone camera is shit apparently.
>>
>>46783584
Lamination is pretty easy anon. If you're worried about its size, just tape it to a larger piece of paper, then cut the extraneous lamination off.

You could probably find someone to do it for you at a fed ex.
>>
>>46783249
All my pcs who started with some kind of heirloom weapon eventually get the chance to upgrade it through some kind of side quest. A greataxe has an empty socket because the fighter's deadbeat dad pawned the magic gem that went in it, a bow will turn magic if the original string can be found, etc.
>>
>>46783369
>tfw you've warned your players that level 10 would pretty much be their capstone
>>
File: tumblr_nnuaa7Thrb1r63nh8o1_1280.png (475 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnuaa7Thrb1r63nh8o1_1280.png
475 KB, 1000x1000
Somebody name my dragonborn paladin.

I FINALLY GET TO BE A PLAYER AND NOT A DM

FUCK YEAH
>>
>>46784349
Male: Paladine
Female: Takhisis
>>
File: 1454462294072.png (211 KB, 301x287) Image search: [Google]
1454462294072.png
211 KB, 301x287
>>46783316
>not just spending three bucks on a bones mini

Monsters and NPCs, I can understand. PCs, that's ghetto as fuck.
>>
>>46784349
Being a player sucks
>>
File: 1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg (167 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg
167 KB, 1280x852
>>46782901
>Range of 30 feet
>I'll extend my mage hand to its maxium height radius to attack!
>30 feet straight up

>Dropped right on your fucking self
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.