[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D 5E General /5eg/: What's in the Bag Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 1420504153551.jpg (523 KB, 1000x1374) Image search: [Google]
1420504153551.jpg
523 KB, 1000x1374
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread:
>>46741988

My group still hasn't opened that bag of holding yet, they found it on a Hill Giant. What would a Hill Giant keep in a Bag of Holding?
>>
>>46753756
A broken Jug of Alchemy, set on mayo mode.
>>
Does Radiant Sun Bolt stack with Radiant Soul?
>>
A hill giant would keep rocks in it. And use it a a source of large rocks to throw at enemies.
>>
>>46753756
It keeps a pack of dead wolves in there. They were his pets, but he forgot that they can't breathe in there.
>>
File: basedmanlet.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
basedmanlet.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
>>46753786
Which is why 9x9 alignment is weird
Is a Man who follows a deep internal code Lawful, despite going against the laws of the land?
>>
Why would Sahuagin be attempting to secure a dragon egg?

What sorts of things could my players do with a dragon egg?

How big a dick move would it be for the dragon to hatch while they're in an encounter, and would said baby dragon fight or flee?
>>
>bonus action for second chance at sneak attack
or
>cunning action to disengage and try again next turn
>>
Said dragon imprints in the first thing it sees. Is considered charmed by that creature.
>>
>>46753756
A tree trunk.

>>46753955
If you really wanted a LG doctor, I would think the first nu Doctor is closer to it; Eccleston is literally the doctor who behind the gruff exterior literally danced happily whenever he could save everyone.
>>
>>46753756
A special Bag of Tricks that only spawns Dire Bunnies.
>>
>>46753976
Sneak attack. Damage is the best utility and survival strategy.
>>
>>46753969
Depends on the dragon, but it makes a reasonable amount of sense that they'd like the prospect of raising a dragon as a weapon.

They may or may not be smart enough to realize they won't be able to control it, but that's not at all their immediate concern.

A quest to retrieve the eggs of a bronze dragon from some enterprising-if-stupid sharkmen could be a good time.
>>
>>46754014
I'm pretty sure 9 has PTSD, so maybe he's LG - but isn't mentally effective
10 is arguably NE
11 is CN

I stopped when 12 came along due to the utterly shit writing.
>>
>>46753976
Sneak attack. You apply all the regular modifiers to your offhand attack roll, just not the damage roll. A sneak attack doesn't have any modifiers to it at all, it's just a straight 1d6/2d6/3d6 etc, which can stack up to being quite a lot of damage by itself. So it's honestly best to just try to land a hit with your offhand weapon and apply sneak attack damage.
>>
>>46753969
With metallic dragons, maybe take a page out of BG2's plot; they want to make a sacrifice to a demon lord like Tiamat, and needed something suitably impressive.
>>
>>46753955
No. Being lawful isn't about codes. It's about believing in structure and everyone obeying the same rules. It's about believing that order and cooperation are the best ways to achieve whatever your goals are.

>>46754014
Wanting to save everyone isn't lawful, it's good.
>>
>>46753969
Just roll to find out how many days it will take to be ready to hatch then after that many days, roll a d20 hatch DC = 20 - t(1/2) where t is the number of hours since the determined number of days. Leave it to chance you railroading mongrel.

Alternatively when they find the egg, roll 1d4(d20) to determine how many days it will take to hatch and then just roll a d20 for each hour after that many days with the dragon hatching on a 10,12,15+

I don't know the incubation period for dargons
>>
>>46753955
Yes.
Paladins follow their gods laws first. Its why you can be a Paladin for CE gods. You are Lawful, follow your gods tenants and Good, becauae you believe your god has the best plan for the world.

If that wasnt the intent behind alignment only Lawful Good Gods could have Paladins because other gods would eventually have you do something against either the laws of the land or not wholly good and you would fall for following your gods commands, which would be ridiculous.
>>
>>46753756
>>46753779
>>46753799
>>46753935
>>46754032

>character smells something funny coming from the bag
>opens it
>it's filled with rancid mayo, rocks and a bunch of dead animals

I like it, put a skeleton inside for grapples. Drowning in mayo sounds like a horrible death.
>>
>>46754146
You realize paladins don't have to be LG, right? The should be the same alignment as their deity. Being a champion of a set of values isn't the same as being lawful, and you don't have to think your deity has everyone's best interest at heart to believe in his/her values.
>>
>>46754102
That plan kind of falls apart considering how much time passes during any given activity or journey is mostly DM fiat.
>>
>>46754176
>i believe in my gods values, out of all the other gods.
>i dont think they are the best.
... Wut
Thrn theres this bag of stupid
>Champions of set values
>Not Lawful
What are set values if not laws. Champion of Law. Paladin.
Paladins follow Gods first , man second. If a mans law goes against their gods law. The law is unlawful at best and evil at worst.
>>
>>46754257
Everyone has values. It's not a lawful trait.
>>
>>46754176
Paladins are Lawful X
They can be Good/Neutral/Evil/Stupid - Paladins are agents of a set of rules
>>
Anyone who can tell me how Warlocks work? If im getting this right, at level 2 they get all Eldritch Invocations that they have the Prerequisite from? Or how does it work?
>>
>>46754288
>Paladins are Lawful X

This is 5e friend
>>
>>46754301
Read the manual a little closer, refer to the table as well.
>>
>>46754305
>new means its better
>le 2015 man
How would a CN Paladin even function?
>>
>>46754288
Paladins represent an ideal. EVERYONE INCLUDING THAT CYNICAL CN RANGER WHO WANTS TO BE LEFT ALONG HAS IDEALS. HIS IS INDIVIDUALISM.
>>
>>46754339
They follow a strict code of calculated chaos. Order out of chaos sort.
>>
>>46754339
Lancelot is a CN Ancients Paladin, who eventually becomes an oathbreaker.
>>
>>46754288
I mean, if those "rules" are freedom and following your heart its pretty hard to label them as lawful. Ancients paladins in particular have a few lines about needing to be happy, delighting, and letting the light live in your heart. If they had to make a decision that followed the rest of their code, but didn't sit well with them, ultimately they wouldn't be following their code, so they can just do whatever they feel is right.
>>
>>46754324
Oh i see, i had absolutely missed that part. Thanks
>>
>>46754257
>Strawmanning this hard
Obviously a paladin believes his values are the "best", but that doesn't mean he thinks they're for the betterment of society or humanity. A paladin of the god of vengeance, for instance, could believe in punishing people harshly because he's a bitter fuck and has no delusions about it.

>>46754339
You do realize what thread you're in, right?
>>
>>46754354
Then everyone is a Paladin, which is fucking dumb

>>46754414
I just like picking /tg/'s brain, after all i know some autists at my LFGS who think the 9x9 is gospel and yet always plays the same characters
I mean if you use it like a starting point, like i did in my most recent PC, then i feel it's ok

But in everything else it's pretty shit
>>
>>46754036
>>46754036
But then you leave yourself base-to-base where you can take possibly a big proportion of damage: they have a pretty weak pool.
>>
>>46754449
Not everyone makes that ideal their main drive to the point of deriving power from them. Although you could say to some extent that rangers do in a different way.
>>
File: 1404329922099.jpg (16 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
1404329922099.jpg
16 KB, 213x237
>>46753784
>>
>>46754474
You wait for your meatshields to taunt and engage first, if he goes before you, ask him to eat the opportunity attack or stop it with an ability. Hopefully your DM isn't a total dick, I only snap their focus when a character rolls huge or has a history with them.

As a rogue, fight or flight. You really can't afford to lose a sneak attack.
>>
>>46754003
That seems more trouble than it's worth, even if I was planning on them having it as a pet.

>>46754042
>Depends on the dragon, but it makes a reasonable amount of sense that they'd like the prospect of raising a dragon as a weapon.

It takes decades to raise a dragon, though.

>A quest to retrieve the eggs of a bronze dragon from some enterprising-if-stupid sharkmen could be a good time.

That's basically the quest.
>>
>tfw you made a caster and the only spells above level 3 you care about are Greater Invisibility, Legend Lore, and Mislead
I feel like I should multiclass at this point or some shit.
>>
>>46753756
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016
Just in case anyone didn't see this already.
>>
>>46753955
>>46754449
>9x9
Do you mean 3x3? Or is there an alignment chart out there somewhere with 81 squares?
>>
Trying to keep a sewer dungeon exciting. I've added an interesting npc and a few silly puzzles but the encounters are mostly just animals and the occassional subterranean humanoid. The sewer is just the first level of the dungeon and the most important thing is to make sure the players stay interested enough to get the "real" dungeon. Rats diseases and maybe a giant crocodile are what I'm working with.
>>
>>46754773
Bladelocks can bond bows?

Did not see that one coming, but at the same time it kinda makes sense

Doesn't make it any less meh though, there really isn't any reason to bond a ranged weapon when a single invocation can make you just as competent at range as in melee
>>
I can't decide if I'd rather have my monk teleporting around using shadows or draining life with his punches. Help me weigh the pros and cons of each.
>>
>>46754899
giant rat farm ran by gobs
>>
>>46754667
>It takes decades to raise a dragon, though.
Sorry if I was unclear: the sahuagin, not the party, want to raise the dragon.

They haven't necessarily planned this out. They aren't going to be able to tame a vain, intelligent lizard that can barf lightning no matter what their timetable is.
>>
>>46754995
Way of Shadow is very cool from a flavor standpoint and has noncombat, but you can't teleport until level 6. Way of Long Death starts big at level 3.
>>
>>46754995
Shadow avoids getting hit. Long Death doesn't die.

I find that MLDs work well as the tank. When you are backed up by several casters who aren't in your fear radius, you can present quite the barrier for melee foes.
>>
>>46755126
noncombat utility
>>
>>46754620
Ah, okay. I'll chat with my barbarian.
>>
File: 1339520296885.jpg (1 MB, 2098x2966) Image search: [Google]
1339520296885.jpg
1 MB, 2098x2966
You guys know any cheap ways to use miniatures? Any good sites to print paper ones etc?
>>
>>46755211
Fuckton of sculpey.
>>
Is it just me or is sun soul monk straight up Dragonball Z's Vegeta?

>Ki blasts at level 3
>Final flash at level 6
>Big bang attack at level 11
>Super Saiyan at level 17
>>
>>46755126
>>46755142
I should probably mention my party at this point since it seems like it will matter.

Its me, a melee fighter, and a barbarian (the barbarian may be changing to a moon druid). So we're both pretty melee focused and low on spells (healing or otherwise).

This has me both worried and curious about the fear bursts utility, as we'll all be in melee a lot but also won't have a lot of crowd control. Meanwhile the temporary hit points and the ability to not die would potentially be a godsend

Meanwhile being able to turn invisible and teleport in a party that can typically do neither is ALSO probably very useful

(Before it gets said we realize our party is kind of poorly balanced. It's going to be a wild ride)
>>
File: hofburg-palace-ruins-vienna.jpg (177 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
hofburg-palace-ruins-vienna.jpg
177 KB, 640x480
>>46754899
Sometimes ancient ruins sink over time. You could have a sewer system lead right int a forgotten barracks or temple, or have the sewers laid out according to the floor plan of a huge palace because that's what it used to be.

In addition to the customary rats and wererats, you could have monsters who contribute to the maintenance or ecology of the sewers. Otyughs and carrion crawlers help to decompose garbage and keep the waterways clear, water elementals could manage drainage, and nothing cleans a sewer better than a few gelatinous cubes.

Also, I hate to be that guy, but it might give you some ideas to imagine which way the water is flowing in this system and where sea level is. Having huge basements and sewers in a city that's clearly at very low elevation bugs me a little.
>>
File: image.jpg (360 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
360 KB, 1920x1080
So ever since we finished Curse of Strahd my group has actually been hungry for more Gothic Horror Fantasy since apparently I'm quite good at GMing it and improvising it or something.
I'm an old-school 2e hand so I know how to GM Ravenloft (one of my favorite settings actually), but my players are largely unaware of how Gothics work even if they seemed to learn fast with CoS, and thus don't yet know how to make Gothic-flavored characters for the setting's native heroes.

ALL of them play vidya though, and all of them have recently purchased Pic Related.
Strong enough inspiration, you think? Sans the goofy oversized weapons, that is.
>>
>>46755331
Yes.
>>
>>46755387
Bloodborne is only gothic in its surface details. The 17th-to-19th century architecture, tricorn hats, etc.

What makes a horror story gothic, I think, is that the monsters and supernatural happenings are always human sins played out on a grand scale. The monster is never some unknowable alien from beyond our understanding like in cosmic horror. It's something we understand very well, just suddenly given supernatural power so that polite society can no longer ignore it. Vampires, werewolves, ghosts, witches, telltale hearts - they're all human in origin because they represent the darker parts of the human condition.

Also, if they don't read books, you could totally crib plots wholesale out of stories you're pretty sure they haven't read.
>>
>>46755516
Actually I meant for character designs and sort of an idea of how shit should look; I'm the GM and I've read Stoker and Shelly and even Wilde, so I know what the themes and stories are.

Also, though Bloodborne's scale of enemies is not Gothic, the actual overarching causes of everything in Old Yharnam (especially with the revelations given by the Old Hunters) IS extremely Gothic and proves everything horrible in Yharnam has happened because of blind ambition and reach exceeding one's very human grasp.
Admittedly to piece this together you have to be REALLY observant and find basically every goddamn item in the game, but it still counts by your grading.
Admittedly the protagonist of Bloodborne is only getting involved by the last quarter of a Gothic tale and everything has already long since gone to shit.
>>
>>46755387
It can work. For other shit that can inspire in terms of vidya, the souls series in general works.

Even just generic fantasy characters works if they're from a domain like Darkon or Nova Vaasa, just make the story go incredibly dark and shatter assumptions.

Or go full Witcher if the domain is Falkovnia.
>>
>>46755670
Witcher is another thing I pointed out what with it's emphasis on human sins and failings, the rampant racism against non-humans and fear towards magic, and the monsters for the most part treated as major threats then XP pots.
Plus Hearts of Stone is literally inspired by an existing famous Polish Gothic story.
>>
>>46755639
Fuck, I hate games like that, where it's just assumed that you'll be using a walkthrough instead of figuring it out for yourself. I missed the whole second half of Symphony of the Night that way.
>>
>>46755670
>Nova Vaasa
Nova Vaasa is Poland actually, in political structure as well as language.
>>
Posting again to get some feedback

Making a class called machinist, and made some stuff for it to use in lieu of cantrips

Are any of these bad? What would you change/add/remove?
>>
>>46755752
I actually didn't use a walkthrough for Symphony of the Night OR Bloodborne. And to Bloodborne's credit you never need to figure out or care about all that creepy shit to beat the game, you can just fuck up monsters left and right until shit is done.
>>
>>46755741
This is actually a thing I liked about 2E Ravenloft.

I didn't use it much for the setting. I used another setting where the domains were more interspersed among more normal kingdoms.

But I used the Van Richten's guides. And I made monsters centerpieces; random encounters were mostly caravans, traders, sometimes bandits, sometimes scared beasts.

And I used the falling mechanics, fear/horror/sanity (in 5e probably just sanity), and the curse rules. I love the curse rules.
>>
>>46755639
There are two different ways to do that kind of Luddite fairy tale. I think Bloodborne is less Frankenstein and more Herbert West, Reanimator. In Frankenstein the monster is only a dick because the doctor was a dick to him. It could have worked out just fine if the doctor was just plain curious and not also a dick. Curiosity isn't inherently sinful in gothic horror like it is in cosmic horror.
>>
>>46755762
I figured it was basically something like that. A lot of the domains can easily be lifted wholesale from the real world (Dementlieu is either the republic of Geneva or Directoire France, Richemulot, iirc, used to be fluffed commonly as 16th century Spain without access to the sea, Lamordia is Denmark)
>>
How would you guys rule getting on a monster by using a whip? A whip attack vs the monster's AC + an acrobatics check?
>>
>>46755335
Yeah, Shadow would probably be better for you. Your fighter and barbarian will be fighting the fear effect.
>>
>>46755867
Richemulot is STILL France like Dementlieu is, just of a different area.
And also filled with fucking RAT PEOPLE.
>>
>>46755895

Yep.
>>
>>46755925
I'd forgotten how much of the core is either France or Italy.
>>
>>46755895
Acrobatics/Athletics contested by its Athletics, which is the rule in the DMG.
>>
File: Underwater BS (Unfinished).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Underwater BS (Unfinished).pdf
1 B, 486x500
Cthulhufag here, continuing giving updates to a project nobody actually gives a damn about, because by gods I'm going to take my lingering regret for not becoming a marine biologist out on you.

Today I learned that the Apparatus of Kwalish actually does exist in 5th edition, they just renamed it for some unfathomable reason. Also, it has a crush depth of 900 feet, which might not be a problem if you only want to crawl around the continental shelf with it, but nowhere near enough to explore the depths. So I made my own version.
Why exactly it even has a crush depth is lost to me, though, as it's not like DnD takes water pressure into account. So apparently the awesome mechacrab submarine breaks before you pass one km depth, but if you stick a ring of waterbreathing on random Joe Peasant, he could dive to the bottom of Challenger Deep with no problem.

I still got that one mostly empty page that should be filled with...something. More items (although I kind of ran out of ideas), or maybe some spells (haven't homebrewed any spells before, though).
And the monster part (which should be the meat of the thing) obviously needs work. My current plan is to divide it by environment (coast, open ocean, deep sea). I'll try dredging up some more interesting animals, as well as aquatic monsters from older editions (I just finished adapting the underwater beholder variant to 5th edition). Any creatures people would particularly like to see?
>>
>>46755895
Pretty much, has to be a big monster though
>>
File: whirligig.gif (2 MB, 268x280) Image search: [Google]
whirligig.gif
2 MB, 268x280
>>46755387
>Sans the goofy oversized weapons, that is.

but that's the best part
>>
>>46755825
That's not QUITE what the story is about.
The DLC basically sums up the theme that the human race when it wants more often decides to be a fucking asshole about getting it and then complains with the consequences of it bite them in the ass, which is quite Gothic.
>>46755962
Borca is Renissance Italy.
Which is why it's similar in sound to "Borgia".
>>
>>46755639
If it's just the look you're looking for, just make sure everything is early modern or early industrial. Either powdered wigs or top hats, depending on how early you're going. Cut out the stuff that's too specifically medieval, especially mounted knights and people gallivanting into battle in full plate. Armor and castles are spooky antiques, not functioning hardware. Crowded cities making public hygiene even worse than it was in ages past because nobody's quite figured out how to deal with it on this scale. And make it clear what society expects of the characters. Don't just let the PCs be wandering murderhobos; make sure they have real jobs, at least at the start.
>>
>>46756049
Yeah I guess, if you're into that.
I like the puzzle and exploration elements of the lore and the challenge of gameplay; when I see big goofy anime weapons I mostly think "that's dumb as shit", especially in a setting that's taking itself so goddamn seriously like Yharnam is.
>>
File: AoK.png (189 KB, 278x385) Image search: [Google]
AoK.png
189 KB, 278x385
>>46755983
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVNcmGjNW6c
>>46755980
>5e Apparatus of Kwalish
>Renamed
>Literally wat
>>
>>46756126
It's not ME that needs advice, it's them.
And I meant more of how Bloodborne's characters look and feel; the grand failings, the heavy melodrama, how all of them are rather tragically human (in that it is their humanity that undoes them most days, etc).

Also, not all of the Land of Mists is in the early modern period. Not even most of it.
>>
>>46756130
Yup, pretty much my inspiration to do so. Except for the lack of bow and horse.
>>
>>46756173
If you know it so well, why don't you know what to tell your players? What do you even need?
>>
>>46756130
Strnage. In the SRD document I have, it's called "Apparatus of the Crab".
>>
>>46756216
The SRD is heavily sanitized for copyright purposes.
>>
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Battlesystem.pdf

Has anyone used the mass combat rules? How did it go?
>>
>>46756212
A "look at this for looks and visual and thematic aid" using vidya assistance.
I literally do not have time to babysit them through making appropriate characters and also GM an actual game; I'm working 55 hours a week and had other shit to do on top of that so when I'm at the game it's GO TIME and we start playing to get as much play in as possible while we can since we all have adult lives we need to do.

They're smart folks though so if I point them in the correct direction they'll know what I mean, they just need to know the direction to walk in so to speak.
>>
File: innistrad_humans.jpg (406 KB, 1136x904) Image search: [Google]
innistrad_humans.jpg
406 KB, 1136x904
>>46756298
The Innistrad style guide? That's if you want everyone wearing tricorn hats and big lapels, with a high chance of ruffles.
>>
>>46755784
What other shit do fictional tool-users use?
A Glider-Cape is good, or a parachute. Umbrella Shield and Stun-Dart Wristwatch, if you're feeling more Bond than Batman.

The biggest thing I would give you as a tip is to not give concrete descriptions of the gadget appearances. Let the player and the DM fluff them out.
>>
>>46756288
I was going to try them, but the way that PCs and other solos interact with groups is just too weird. I know it's made to work with the minis that people already have, but the scale is just too inconsistent.
>>
>>46756412
That's actually a good idea.
Not an MtG player but Innistrad is actually a solid visual fit.
>>
Okay, I think I'm pretty much set on running Ravenloft, with less goofy domain names and reduced darklord powers (like no domain sealing).

Basically Renaissance Gothic Earth I guess.
>>
>>46756463
I'm getting there, these are basic gadgets that could be used constantly, the class itself is focused on creating one-use items on short rests using a pool of points (such as grenades, caltrops, wingsuits, traps etc)
>>
>>46756593
Do eeeeet.
As an old-school 2e player I love Ravenloft, and was delighted when my players decided they wanted more after the Weekend in Hell that was Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>46756593
Why not literally Renaissance Gothic Earth? That would reduce the number of people asking if they can be dragonborn.
>>
>>46756635
That's an easy fix.
Just say "no dragonborn".
>>
File: 1455259774068.jpg (13 KB, 458x418) Image search: [Google]
1455259774068.jpg
13 KB, 458x418
>>46753756
so what's my chance of them pulling bloodlnes off the shelf for 5e?
>>
>>46756653
That's just one example of the nonhuman races that are kind of an awkward fit for the genre.
>>
>>46754899
>Trying to keep a sewer dungeon exciting. I've added an interesting npc and a few silly puzzles but the encounters are mostly just animals and the occassional subterranean humanoid. The sewer is just the first level of the dungeon and the most important thing is to make sure the players stay interested enough to get the "real" dungeon. Rats diseases and maybe a giant crocodile are what I'm working with.

...why are you making a sewer level then? Just have the interesting NPC, and a puzzle room to unlock the real dungeon or w/e

It's not a necessity to make your group slog through dozens of shit-filled corridoors fighting rats, even if video games would lead you to believe otherwise,
>>
>>46756618
Holy fucking shit man, I'm honestly hype for this if you do it right. I've been needing something like this for my game, and was just about to try doing it myself.

If you really want to go crazy, add in a bunch of modifiers that can be slapped together Lego style to create a gadget, with each one raising the DC/Infusion Points/Time needed to create it by a little. Sort of like Epic spells in 3.5, or that one robot maker class in Dragonsmech or whatever it was called.
>>
>>46756720
The traditional fantasy races are still in Ravenloft and work just fine, mostly by doing the Witcher thing and making them more or less human in personality and temperament but not looks.

They also are really rare compared to other fantasy settings.
>>
>>46756635
Because I'm still okay with elves, halflings and gnomes.

I am definitely banning Dragonborn and I'll probably have anyone who wants to roll a Tiefling go for Half Vistani.
>>
>>46756630
Literally the first D&D book I got as a kid after the core trifecta was Domains of Dread.

But most of my players of the time whined about that (and WoD).

Now I actually have players who are open to it and I am totally going to have fun. I'm not even planning on being a huge bitch, I just want to do some gothic horror with a dash of dark fairy tales that overturn expectations. I've got my old Van Richten's guides next to Perrault's Tales from a box I just dusted off.
>>
why do people ban dragonborn?
>>
>>46756913
There's like one dragon in Ravenloft and it's a shadow dragon domain lord. I think Vecna in 2E might have had a pet dragon.
>>
>>46755340
thanks
>>
>>46756913
Because every crowd needs a whipping boy, and /5eg/ had decided that dragonborn players are incapable of being anything but scaly snowflakes.

There's significant truth to this, but it's by no means universal or even the norm.
>>
>>46756766
I actually have something like that going

Cores give the damage type, casings give delivery method (grenade, rocket, shell), and fittings add stuff like airburst, armor piercing, trap, etc. All costing a point amount regained on a short rest

For instance, gonna be fighting large amounts of skeletons at a distance? Build a concussive core, slap it in a rocket, make it airburst and deliver it
>>
>>46756882
Van Richten's Guides are some of the best RPG material ever in my opinion.
>>46756913
They're ridiculous for one.
Also, though the Land of Mists definitely has fantasy elements it's not a World of Warcraft fantasy world where all the magic is sparkly and obvious and literally everywhere you look, but is rather strange, mysterious, and full of charlatans and lies instead.
>>46756938
Aaah, Ebb the Night Dragon, Azalin's BFF.
I think it's kinda nice that Strahd finally got one of those with Curse of Strahd and his chamberlain, Rahadin. If he's in older Ravenloft lore I do not remember him.
>>
>>46756984
I've had A player who played a good dragonborn. He was the only one though.
>>
>>46757025
Deliver it from the shoulder of your trusty mech-suit*

Or from the launch pad of your automaton minion

Or make a case of shells, slap a full-auto configuration on your gun and go to town
>>
>>46756288
I adapted the horde rules from Deathwatch for my group. It took some doing, but it's been a bit smoother than any of the rules Wizards has supplied.
>>
>>46756723
They decided to jump into the sewer to look for a hidden door based on the rogues "intuitions", nothing I can do at this point. I called the session as they entered and now I've got to figure out what the hell they're doing there.
>>
>>46757067
I imagine players like yours are probably in the majority.

Trouble is that players, and perhaps DMs even more so, prefer to tell stories about the idiot sperg who spent the whole campaign going "Rrrr, I'm a fancy dragon."
>>
>>46755335

I'd go Shadow and take mobile so you can jump in and out of melee without provoking Opportunity Attacks. That way you can strike at and attempt to lock down enemies with Stunning Strike and get out of melee without taking damage, as well as having a few nice utility spells and options (teleporting, silence, pass without trace, etc.).
>>
>>46757025
It's just sounds so perfect. You're perfect.
The only problem that comes to mind is making it worthwhile on it's own. Most other Engineer/Artificer classes are sorta lackluster by themselves, and can't really do anything better than another member of the party.
>>
>>46757146
The sewer leads to underground caverns that eventually lead to the underdark. The city above is literally pouring its shit, piss, mud, and trash down into the underdark.
>>
>>46757219
Thanks anon, I'll probably have something concrete by tomorrow, and then we'll se how things go
>>
>>46757237
Yes that is the plan but they are probably going to be in the sewer for 30-40 mins so before I fleshed it out I was just looking for ideas.
>>
>>46753969
Is there a Time Wizard involved?
>>
File: JOEYWHEEEELAH.jpg (201 KB, 636x477) Image search: [Google]
JOEYWHEEEELAH.jpg
201 KB, 636x477
>>46757676
>>
>>46757146
Just let it be a regular sewer. No strange monsters or anything.
But let them think its a grand dungeon full of terrors.
>>
I want to switch to 5e from pathfinder, how i can convince my Group?
>>
>>46757870
Less mathomancy, a more stable power level while still having the feeling of progression, a system that allows you to put a world together in such a way that it doesn't feel like you're playing demigods vs ants at mid levels
>>
>>46757870
Volunteer to DM.
>>
Meh. Stupid checks complaint.
>we tie off our three riding horses next to a big fire
>we leave a trough of goodberry for them to snack on throughout the night (energy to maintain homeostasis)
>"all three of you, roll survival checks to keep them alive through the night"
>roll a 2
>"your horse dies"
meh.
>>
>>46758037
>trough of goodberry
>>
>>46758037
We could probably have a whole thread about DMs calling for stupid checks.
>>
>>46758037
>climbing down a rope
>dm calls for climb checks
>"that's not a thing in 5e"
>"athletics then"
>remind the DM that I actually have a climb speed in my current form and I'm using a rope to assist me
>"roll anyway"
>roll fine
>everyone else climbs down and rolls
>they all fail
>all fall on top of me, knocking me off the rope and killing me
meh.
>>
>>46758037
Next in-game day:
>ice worm breaks out of the ground and kills both your remaining horses
>"Can I get a dex saving throw?"
>"Sure."
>"16"
>"Its leg breaks and you're thrown off"

>>46758065
They are food. They are literally food.
>>
>>46755980
>apparently the awesome mechacrab submarine breaks before you pass one km depth, but if you stick a ring of waterbreathing on random Joe Peasant, he could dive to the bottom of Challenger Deep with no problem.

That's because there wouldn't be any pressure difference if you're breathing the water down there, you'd get other medical problems from the pressure though I'm sure.
>>
>>46758037
I had to roll a naked d20 to find my dagger in the dark. That is fucking dumb just place it somewhere and let me look for it like a normal person.
>>
>>46758115
While your respiratory system might not collapse, the pressure would probably burst your blood vessels or something. I wouldn't recommend it.

>>46758037
>>46758095
>>46758113
>>46758138
Do DMs this bad genuinely exist?
>>
>>46758037
How did he even say your horse died? It had food and water, were you in the abyss or some shit? He does realize that horses grow to maturity in the wild all on their own, typically without someone to give them magic food.
>>
>>46758113
>They are food.
Less problem with the "goodberry" part and more problem with the "trough" part. You summoned hundreds of berries, a handful at a time?
>>
>>46758180
Yeah. Because they didn't read the book so they don't know how to play. In my case, the DM just assumed that everything played like Pathfinder.
>>
>>46758180
yes they do
>>
>>46758200
Sorry, yeah. Not literally a trough. One of our characters can cast it as ritual and he spent the travelling time making them for the horses.

>>46758194
We're in tundra. It froze to death.
>>
>>46758201
Would Pathfinder call for this kind of shit though? Even if it did, couldn't you just take 10 because of the presumably low DC?
>>
>>46758201
Ironically as the DM for my 5e group I have the exact opposite problem where none of them seem to read or remember shit I tell them about the system. I can't tell you how many time's Ive had to explain that climbing / swimming is just half your land movement speed and no check is needed for basic movement and don't even get me started on how none of them seem to know the basic fucking actions you can take on your turn (I've explained to the rogue how Cunning Action works at least once every fucking session).

I've gotten so fed up with this I've put the game on hiatus and told them all to read the fucking books (which they wont).
>>
>>46758180
> Applying IRL medical science to DnD
I mean, might as well point out that there's nowhere near enough oxygen in the water at that depth (or, really, any depth) to support human life anyway, but hey, magic.
>>
>>46758316
Yeah, it does. The climb check for a rope braced against a wall in PF is DC10, I think. Might even be DC5, though I think that's if the rope is knotted.
>>
>>46758316
I actually just checked, it's a DC5 for a rope braced against a wall. DC is 0 if it's a knotted rope next to a wall.
>>
>>46758037
>>46758095
This is why Pathfinder players should NEVER EVER be allowed to DM. Ever.
>>
>>46758407
Hey, I'm a Pathfinder player. I just hate Pathfinder and wish I was playing something else while I play it.

Let's not shit up the thread talking about Pathfinder though, pls.
>>
>>46758300
> goodberry as a ritual
You are either full of shit or your DM's lack of understanding the rules worked in your favor.
>>
>>46758407
Pathfinder's got nothing to do with it. Shit DMs are shit DMs are shit DMs.
>>
>>46758095
I nearly TPK'd a full HP party with a single pit trap when I was a new DM and poorly ran climbing / athletics checks.
>>
>>46758321
I, too, have this group.
>>
>>46758428
Well, don't tell them. My DM still hasn't figured out that Zone of Truth isn't a ritual.
>>
>>46758194
>>46758180
>>46758138
>>46758095
>>46758076
>>46758407
>>46758200

Horse guy here. DM just put us up against a giant ice worm (giant purple but ice). We're level 7 and 8. Never faced a creature with a threat range above 5 feet. I whip attack and run away, it opportunity attacks me with a crit and insta kills me from full health.

Oh and this DM rules that going half your max under zero is instadeath - a direct contradiction of the game's rules.
>>
>>46758639
>Oh and this DM rules that going half your max under zero is instadeath - a direct contradiction of the game's rules.

wow

leave this group immediately
>>
>>46758629
> I take advantage of my DM's inexperience/ignorance to cheat
> ...But fuck him for not knowing the rules, for real tho

Ok, anon.
>>
>>46757676
>>46757756

Well, there wasn't before, but there definitely will be now.
>>
>PCs picking races for mechanical benefits

GAY
>>
>>46758968
Well there's a reason that wizard orcs are uncommon. It makes sense to choose a race with an INT bonus if you are making a wizard makes sense.
>>
>>46758968
Hey man; sometimes you just really need to breathe fire at level 1.
>>
>>46758639
Fucking this >>46758693 just leave that shit.
>>
>>46758985
or you could roleplay a character and not care about stat increases when they're capped at 20 to begin with
>>
>>46759137
>tfw you're actually eschewing stat increases because you prefer feats
>tfw you're kinda gimping your character with a 14 casting stat but fuck it
>>
>>46759137
...Because you can't do both, right?
>>
File: Innistrad Races.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Innistrad Races.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46756298
>>46756412
>>46756463
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>46759264
Man, were they even TRYING to not make it Ravenloft?
>>
>>46759362
I mean, it's kind of hard to not make a setting meant to mirror the 16th-17th century very separated from Ravenloft.

You had people in Paris eating bread made with bone flour because of all the sieges, ffs.
>>
Are Valor Bards any good at melee?
>>
Can you live on goodberry indefinitely?
>>
>>46759454
>>46759467
Yes.
>>
>>46759467
Yeah.
Them berries are fucking good man.
>>
>>46759480
Ok then, are STR based valor bards any good? Or are you breddymuch forced to go Dex + Finesse?
>>
>>46759303
You guys think shifters could make cool monks that I would roleplay as a Mexican luchador named El Lobo Negro?
>>
>>46758300
>DM allows Goodberry as a ritual
I hope your setting doesn't have any farms, because that shit is now obsolete
>>
>>46759521
>I would roleplay as a Mexican luchador named El Lobo Negro
Fuck off.
>>
>>46759521
The luchador thing is sort of a dead horse at this point
>>
>>46759541
What? Is there something wrong with that?
>>
>>46759521
>>>/b/
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>46759521
>I would roleplay as a Mexican luchador named El Lobo Negro?

hella f*ckin epic!
>>
>>46759362
Ravenloft doesn't have a giant cthulhu monster in the moon slowly driving all the angels insane, does it?
>>
>>46759554
Eh, I'm a really big fan of Lucha Libre, I know the whole Tiburon the luchador story is super popular here but a werewolf wrestler sounds cool as fuck.
>>
>>46759531
>>46758428
Yeah, he understands it as being a ritual. I don't know how that came to be but I'll bring it up to him because fucking lol.
>>
>>46759498
Strength, Halberd, Breastplate. At most you need a 14 Dex to max out ac from that, and you can go for Polearm master.

That way you get Strength bonuses, Dex proficiency and can blow a feat on Resilient Con.
>>
>>46758037
You can freeze to death on a full stomach.

>>46758095
I laughed a lot. Thanks anon.
>>
>>46758037
Yes, but there was also a roaring fire.
>>
Need a new character and I'm too exhausted to come up with anything creative

help me /5eg/
>>
>>46759818
storm cleric w polearn
>>
>>46758037
> trough of goodberry
Your horse exploded.
>>
>>46759818
Bladelock Knight of Flowers, master of all weapons.
>>
>>46759890
Ooooooh that sounds pretty. Do it faggot.
>>
>>46759582
They aren't going insane because of the Cthulhu monster, they're going insane because the mana is being fucked with to draw the Cthulhu monster to the plane. Also the moon actually has nothing to do with it, it's just that whatever's coming is so huge it alters the tides and is referred to as being the size of Innistrad's unusually large moon, thus it is an "Eldritch Moon".
>>
>>46759582
No, but it's got a giant Cthulhu monster.
Not a very important part of the setting admittedly.
Wasn't the moon being a Cthulhu monster a thing in Bloodborne too? Or...the dream of the moon? Fuck I dunno how that worked.
>>
So like, I know some parts of inland Africa still used chainmail in the 19th century, but for, say, Europe, how long did it last uninterrupted (i.e. not counting primitive 19th century bullet proof vests)?

I heard Russians were still using it in the 17th century, yes, no? I'm just trying to figure out whether I should refluff it or keep as is for a more early modern game.
>>
>>46756662
I don't know what you're asking.
Pic is not related
>>
>>46756662
Bloodlines? Like the shitty pseudo-racial feats from 3.x and 4e? Or Bloodlines as in the sorcerous origins that are all just some variant on "grandpa stuck his dick in crazy?"
>>
>>46760761
napoleon's troops encountered russian irregular cavalry wearing chainmail (and using bows) in the early 19th c. I expect Ottoman irregulars used it too. Probably it survived in the balkans as well.

Also, chainmail shoulder straps became part of many euro uniforms in the 19th c., and some still survive - Prince Michael of Kent wore them to the royal wedding in 2011.

but in general it died out in western europe with the 30 years war, and in the east by the end of the 17th c.
>>
don't ask me why but would the poison from a shit golem cause damage or just a disease
>>
>>46761253
probably would inflict the poisoned condition
>>
>>46761253
Up to you. It's your homebrew.

Include a Con save.
>>
>>46761253
Make a DC 10 Constitution Save.
If you fail, you contract a disease that causes 2 damage every hour for 24 Hours, with a DC 10 constitution check to avoid the damage each hour. Characters with this disease can infect others with the disease through contact with their vomit or feces, of which they produce both once per hour.
>>
>>46758428
>>46759531
I asked my DM and he's aware it isn't a ritual but there's something that lets Warlocks cast it as rituals.
>>
>>46761747
>there's something that lets Warlocks cast it as rituals
No there isn't.
>>
>>46761747
Bullshit there is.
>>
>>46761765
>>46761758
Might be some invocation homebrew or something, I don't know. I've only played rogues and rangers.
>>
File: img0000040 (2).jpg (136 KB, 1000x378) Image search: [Google]
img0000040 (2).jpg
136 KB, 1000x378
Anyone have any idea if Wizards is going to try to revive Birthright for 5e?

It's pretty great and would be a shame if they just let it wither away like it's been.
>>
>>46761747
>BOOK OF ANCIENT SECRETS
>Prerequisite: Pact of the Tome feature
>You can now inscribe magical rituals in your Book of Shadows. Choose two 1st-leveI spells that HAVE THE RITUAL TAG from any class's spelllist.

Your GM is shit, and your player is a cheater
>>
>>46761805
My problem with Birthright has always been twofold:
- Bloodlines added an annoying new layer of stats
- Rulership was always too inherently tied to character classes
If they can fix that, it would be a good idea.
>>
>>46761805

While I wouldn't say it's impossible, it's really god damn unlikely. Even if they did, you certainly wouldn't see it until Eberron, Planescape, and Dark Sun were all represented. Honestly anon, most I'd hope for is a UA or something, but even that doesn't seem likely.
>>
>>46761846
It def needs some mechanical reworking, but the idea of bloodlines is great. Plus the setting is pretty fantastic. The conversions do a pretty good job.

>>46761921
Damn shame. It could use some new material.
>>
>>46761807
Not sure if bringing it up to my DM would make me that guy or if refraining from this would make me that guy.
>>
>>46762161
>Not sure if bringing it up to my DM would make me that guy or if refraining from this would make me that guy.
Doing neither will make you a coward. Leave the group, find a better game.

Fuck 'em.
>>
Hey first time DM, had first time players remove a priesthood from a town but they chose to kill them all so I thought to sway them from the murder hobo path there should be a public hanging of falsely accused people... writing the nitty gritty right now
>>
>>46762144

Oh believe me, I agree, I would like to see a return of some of the weirder D&D settings, like Birthright or Spelljammer. So far all we've seen has been FR shit, a Ravenloft adventure, and an Eberron UA article. They have all these rad settings just sitting on a shelf and they're not fucking doing anything with them.
>>
>>46762528
Most RPGs barely even have one setting. D&D is unusual in that regard.
>>
>>46762528
Spelljammer would be fucking lit
>>
>>46762585

You're god damn right it would.

>>46762572

I know that, and that's part of what I've always loved about the game. Honestly, they don't even need to do a bunch of individual specific setting books. They could just do one book that covers all the various neglected settings, and give some fluff, setting specific races/ classes, and setting specific rules to each one of them, only going about 30 or 40 pages for each one (or less if they can fit in all the relevant information). I would buy that shit in a fucking heartbeat, and it would be a great way to introduce these settings to people who are new to D&D.
>>
Does anyone have a map of the layout of a two or three deck wooden ship?

Specifically, I'm curious where the captain's quarters would be.
>>
>>46762772
In the mega file, dungeon masters guide, there is a premade wooden ship at the end
>>
>>46762788
Oh shit, I'll check that out. Never would've expected the DMG to have that.
>>
I like the idea of narrative die from FFG

how can you port that mechanic to DnD?

roll 2d20 on everything? without advantage/disadvantage the first one is success/failure, and the second one is degrees of success/failure? With advantage, you get to pick, and with disadvantage, the DM chooses?

Or should it be 3d20 for everything, with similar rules, but the third die being additional negative/positive consequences?

if you're going to tell me to just play star wars, please tell me how to get my players to play something other than dnd. I've been trying for so long.
>>
What type of encounters would you have for a low level two player campaign? I'm trying to mix "smart" encounters along with regular fights cause I'm afraid of throwing too much at them.

For example, I had a part where they went into a cave and dealt with a Troll and had to dodge fighting the cave because quite frankly it would destroy them and they had to hurt it by exposing it to sunlight and killing it that way.

I want to make sure they get fun encounters that don't seem to overwhelming yet.
>>
>>46763238
I once ran a buddy cop paladin game for my brother and our friend.

balancing around 2 players can be pretty tough, especially when you start introducing bigger and badder creatures. Something I did early on was push the idea that they need to be smart on picking a fight. They might be tougher than average, but they can't take a camp of orcs head on. Once I got a feel for what aspects of the game they were interested in (roleplay, combat, skill challenges, etc.) I was able to tune the encounters to them a little better.

Make sure your fights aren't just 2 dudes in an arena against a bunch of baddies, because this is where things can go south on you (it's also just bad encounter design, really). Make the fight as much (or more) about outsmarting and outmaneuvering their foes than just overpowering them. It takes more work on your part, but the game will be far more memorable, fair, and fun.
>>
>>46756913
Same reason I ban elves, dwarves and halflings.
>>
>>46756913
because it's a meme race
>>
>>46763238
For general fights I would use small groups of goblins, bandits, undead, and ect as appropriate to the situation. Some more fun encounters could be something like the party meeting a revenant, it attacking them, but then the party convinces it to spare them so they can help him/her hunt his/her mark down. Or stuff with vampires and fiends.
>>
Quick question - does a character that starts as one class with a fighting style, and then multiclasses into another class with a fighting style get a second fighting style?
>>
>>46763834
Yes but you can't get two of the same fighting style.
>>
>>46763902
Awesome.
>>
>>46763834
Paladin 2 / Ranger 2 / Champion X?
>>
>>46763166
Son, I have no idea what in blue fuck you're goin' on about
>>
Wanted opinions on my dwarf fighter 1/ warlock 1 backstory for his pact.

>Be young dwarf caravan guard
>Bandits attack your caravan
>Its your first time using your weapon in real combat
>You are actually pretty good
>When one of the bandits takes off into the woods you chase after him
>While stumbling through the woods you hear a multitude of voices talking and singing
>Following the sounds you find a large party
>What appears to be elves revel and drink around a large statue of an elf bearing the head of a stag and wearing scale mail and hides
>The Elves tell you this is a feast to celebrate a successful hunt
>One of them offers you a goblet of brandy
>You were parched from the fight and agreed
>It was the best thing you ever had
>You drained it without thought and were quickly offered another
>and another
>Before long you are quite drunk
>A moment of sobriety occurs and you remember why you came into the forest
>When you try to leave however the elves laugh at you
>They tell that you cannot leave until you settle your debt with "The Erlking"
>When you ask who that is the "statue" begins laughing
>When he stands you sober up immediately
>Fifteen feet tall at least the Erlking stares down at you
>He speaks to you without opening his mouth
>You have drank of a fey lords finest brandy
>Distilled from the nectar of flowers that bloom only once a century
>Your debt his high and there is only one way to repay it through servitude
>A lifetime of it
>It might of been your fear of this massive creature
>It might have been the fact that you noticed the elves eyes begin to glow like embers and thier teeth were long and sharp like fangs
>Whatever it was you agreed to this proposal
>He tells you that he will call upon you when needed and that he has given you a gift of but the smallest fraction of his power
>You find yourself stumbling back onto the road
>in one hand is your axe
>In the other is the head of the bandit you were chasing
>>
>>46764170
>>It might have been the fact that you noticed the elves eyes begin to glow like embers and thier teeth were long and sharp like fangs
Typical dwarf propaganda.

I kinda like it, would probably allow it if I were DM
>>
>>46764119
Paladin 6 thinking of Paladin 6/Fighter 1 instead of Paladin 7, just for the extra point in AC.

Paladin 6/Sorceror 1 instead.
>>
I need a pdf for the spellcards, anyone have it scanned yet?
>>
>>46764440
Spellcards? You mean that shit that Galeforce Nine sells?

If so no, there's no such PDF.
>>
>>46764454
Yes those are the ones. I will just make some then
>>
Thoughts on Pact of the Blade?
>>
>>46764170

Is good.
>>
>>46764980
If you take it as "Warlock now has an out if he gets trapped in melee" rather than "Warlock is now or frontline fightsman," then it's decent.
>>
>>46764980
I'm using it right now. Bottom line is as a Warlock you're going to be dumping all of your points into intelligence or charisma and not physical combat stats. It's good to have in a squeeze but honestly Pact of the Chain is better and more fun.
>>
>>46765261
>as a Warlock you're going to be dumping all of your points into intelligence
No... no you wouldn't. You would be pumping all your excess points in Dex or Con. Warlocks have zero reason to raise Int.
>>
>>46765275
Except for skills.
>>
>>46765279
You'd get much more mileage out of taking the Skilled feat and taking the three Int skills you want to focus on instead.
>>
>>46765261
>intelligence

nah
>>
Anyone else see this yet?

I'm super hype for the 24th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk6xQU1C-Fg
>>
While talking character building with players, one of them seemed interested in picking tavern brawler, which is actually making me inordinately happy.

I half feel like making sure they can get hold of a silver candlestick at an appropriate point for reasons.
>>
File: mcfucking-kill-yourself.jpg (21 KB, 360x261) Image search: [Google]
mcfucking-kill-yourself.jpg
21 KB, 360x261
>>46765341
>Genuinely Enjoying Acquisitions Incorporated
>>
File: absolutelydisgusting.png (81 KB, 204x200) Image search: [Google]
absolutelydisgusting.png
81 KB, 204x200
>>46765549
>badwrongfun
it's a fun d&d stream that doesn't take itself very seriously and is made by cool people and is probably the largest exposure of d&d in the mainstream
what's the prob?
>>
>>46765630
>cool people
ROFL. No.
>largest exposure of d&d in the mainstream
Bigger than Critical Role? I doubt it.
>>
File: oh no!.png (588 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
oh no!.png
588 KB, 1024x600
>>46765653
>ROFL
>>
File: what.jpg (35 KB, 415x503) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
35 KB, 415x503
>>46765653
>critical role is way bigger!!
am i falling for bait
>>
>>46765630
>Largest exposure of D&D in the mainstream
Except D&D has been a mainstay in the public consciousness since the mid 80's.
>>
File: warlock.jpg (452 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
warlock.jpg
452 KB, 1920x1080
>>46765827
I meant right now, in 2016. And I also meant something that's actually people playing and would potentially get new players interested. I don't think you can really deny that a livestreamed D&D event hosted at one of the largest gaming conventions, backed by WotC, DM'd by WotC, is not the current largest billboard for D&D.
>>
>>46764980
Playing one right now, purposely taking all of the traditional bad options and honestly... it's tons of fun. I'm an Eladrin Str Bladelock. The only leg up I have is that our GM gave us all a free feat and I took Dual Wielder. Honestly? It's not bad. I mean it's not better in anyway than the GWF Barbarian, the Shadow Sorceress, or the Dex-adin Halfling in our party but like i can keep up, a +4 to hit for 2d8+2d6+2 of damage is not bad at all. You could even game this further if you went Dex with a Rapier as every +1 bonus means a hell of a lot more than it did in 3.5 since they are rarer, but it's also less crippling if you don't have it.

My Cha is only 14 but I get around that in flavorful ways, for example Armor of Agathys and Hex don't interact with my Casting stat, and my other spells are Silent Image at will, which is a non-prompt Investigation check, Phantom Force, which is an Int Save (aka, the rarest and traditionally worst save for almost everything in the game) and then Suggestion, which is a poor man's Dominate Person.

I even skipped out on Agonizing Blast, I took the at-will Silent Image and the two Social Skills proiciency.

Our game is based in Sharn (Eberron's Fantasy New York), and honestly the nature of our campaign is really well suited for the warlock. We have, I would say, an above average amount of short rests I would say. Maybe 3 per adventure?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.