[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This card is $120. Wars have been fought, men have died, women
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8
This card is $120.

Wars have been fought, men have died, women have sold their bodies for less money than this. Outrageous!
>>
>I hate the free market.
>I'm jealous of people with more money than me.
>>
>>46772270
Do you even greatness at any cost?
>>
File: Summer-and-stuff.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Summer-and-stuff.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
>>46772270
>only $120
>>
OP, what war was fought for less than the equivalent of $120 USD in 2016?
>>
File: 1342630455425.jpg (9 KB, 177x278) Image search: [Google]
1342630455425.jpg
9 KB, 177x278
>>46773580
>Dat Blue hurricane
>those prototype formats

most valuable card I have is extended Bayou
>>
>>46772270
>target play
>>
>>46773580
Where are the foils in the bottom row from? They obviously didn't come out of any booster pack.
>>
>>46772270
>Wars have been fought...for less money than this
i doubt it
the other two are quite likely to be true
>>
>>46772270
Modern is the cancer killing Magic.
I told you, but you didn't listen. You could have prevented this, but this is the future you chose.
Enjoy your 600 dollar Standard and 1200 dollar rotating Extended.
>>
>>46774876
WotC and their collusion with collecter's is the cancer killing magic
just burn the restricted list and print all that P9 shit in copious amounts in FtV and related premium products and rake in the cash
>>
>>46774928
That cancer has been there for years and is what's keeping the market stupid, but Modern is what drives the prices up.
It used to be that cards were expensive while in Standard and after that only Legacy cared about them, which led to a drop-off. Now three formats want the same cards and nothing ever really drops off, it only goes up.

The reserved list will never go away, because at this point WotC and the vendors are fused together. It's not the collectors, it's the vendors. Collectors couldn't give less shits about the Reserved List.
>>
>>46774851
8th edition test prints.
>>
>>46774928
>rake in the cash

what cash?
you don't understand the principle of supply and demand do you?
>>
>>46774973
if eternal formats were more affordable their competitive playerbase would increase and the loss of demand for modern would fix SOME of the pricing problems
random booster packs and expansion lists in which 40% of the rares are OK/good and the rest are shit is the other cancer, in my opinion,

the random booster & shitty rare/mythic prospects is what allows Hasbro to profit

the Living Card Game format (in which you know the quantity and identify of each card in the booster you buy) is better for the client but worse for the producer, a compromise has to be made

larger and unrestricted print of FtV, Commander, Duel, and Blahblah Masters products is the only thing i can think of in which WotC can make good cards (specially out of print ones) more affordable for the players while still making a profit

the vendors could go fuck themselves to be honest, i think the reason WotC does not implement larger runs of premium products is that they have PERSONAL relationships with people from T&T and SCG
>>
>>46775002
ultimately, neither Hasbro nor WotC make more money from the secondary market price jacking, they could make more money by reprinting premium products (MM, Duel Decks, FtV) in which ALL the cards are good and desirable card
they don't because WotC is colluded (at last partially) with large vendor like StarCity and Troll&Toad
the owners of the propriety and the consumers could have better prices and better products if not for this
>>
>>46775159
>the owners of the propriety *could get more sales* and the consumers could have better prices and better products if not for this
>>
>>46775111
Magic is heavily intertwined with the likes of SCG by now.
I'm not saying that WotC couldn't put up the slack and Magic can't stand on its own, but WotC is rightfully afraid to alienate vendors by devaluing high-profile stock. It would require a complete shift in strategy, akin to something like what YGO does, with heavy Format Box Reprints. Heavy paradigm shifts are risky, though, and nobody wants to take a risk while the car is trucking along fine, even though it might change everything for the better if it pays off.
>>
>>46775159
>design the cards
>have access to the cards a year before anyone else

they know exactly which cards are most likely to spike. are you sure they don't make more money with current model?
>>
>>46775159
Vendors host events, make streams, VoDs, and do other shit that promotes the game and thus creates demand for sealed product.
By not reprinting shit wildly and putting out product that crashes the secondary market prices, Wizards protects the investments of the vendors. This is the unspoken agreement.

Could it be different? Sure, look at YGO and Pokemon. There, vendors mostly make the money by selling the primary product. Thing is: This is not how Magic has developed and thus it will not change, because there is nothing a medium-sized company is more afraid of than change.
>>
>>46773580
How much are these worth?
>>
>>46775223
>rightfully afraid to alienate vendors by devaluing high-profile stock
the MtG scene if crammed with small time vendors all over the developed world, and with sites like tcg-players one can access many of them through an unified facade
large vendors are too invested in their operation to simply ragequit because WotC gouges them a couple of times a year, they would adapt to the new environment in months, and if they don't they are not needed
>>
>>46775294
to who?
>>
>>46775272
a lot of that revenue stays stuck in the secondary market, which can be argued contributes to buying primary product just to open it; still it could be made fairer for the consumer and better for the parent company by making primary product more appealing in quality/price
>>46775288
desu i think the nails in the coffin are not so much the momentum of WotC and their relationship with large vendors but rather the market composition
most players are young impulse buyers, they stick heavily around for a couple of expansions (a year maybe) quit it and maybe never come back, there is no incentive to increase the quality of the product to the enduring audience, we are not the ones who made Theros one of the most successful blocks WotC has had
>>
>>46775327
Good question, I'm not sure. How much is the price difference between collector's market and player's market?
>>
>>46775448
Oceans wide because most of those aren't playable in any format.
>>
>>46775320
Probably, be they don't know that for SURE. Picture the way this is going in the boardroom:

>So, the secondary market is completely out of control, buying into Standard costs 600 to 900 bucks now, even though it rotates faster, Modern is upwards 1000 to 1200 dollars and let's just not talk about Legacy
>Yes, and? The scrubs are still playing FNM and buying sealed product, and we don't actually support Modern or Legacy anyway.
>Well, I have an idea how we could improve the situation. We could offer more frequent reprints of staples at an affordable price point and abolish the reserved list, thus opening up the Eternal Formats to newer players. The staple reprints are surefire seller and could lead to an increase in profits!
>But?
>Well, it'd crash the secondary market, make it highly volatile and possibly alienate the vendors, which could lead to our untimely demise. I assure you, that's highly unlikely though!
>We are doing fine right now, aren't we?
>Yeah, but...
>So, I'm thinking 15$ MSRP for Modern Masters and Mass Polymorph at Mythic!
>>
>>46775503
>alienate the vendors
nothing alienates vendors quite like Troll&Toad and SCG showing up to local events (or worse, organizing them, even well stablished local FLGS cannot compete with them)
The reason MtG does fine is because long-time players are not their main customers, as i mentioned: >>46775404
This is actually the reason there is no incentive to change, is not that there would not be benefits for a change is that only a niche of the consumer base would appreciate that benefit
in the end is not only WotC's fault the secondary market is shit
>>
>>46774973
This.
Collectors can still say that they own an Alpha Lotus, which will never be less rare than it currently is. Even if they reprinted it as a common for the next 10 sets, the originals would still be extremely rare.
Vendors and speculators would throw tantrums if they ever removed the reserve list because they sell to players, not collectors. And most players would be just as happy to play with a brand new reprint.
>>
>>46775503
>which could lead to our untimely demise
oh, and also, this is complete bogus, having even the top 10 MtG vendors implode would not end the distribution of the product
aside from the unified storefront of tcg-player you can buy from amazon, e-bay, walmart, and your local shops
heck, local shop probably make more money from selling you soft drinks and tournament entry fees than from selling you individual cards (of which they likely don't maintain a stock as varied as the online stores community because cardboard prices fluctuate a lot and they cannot buy and retain in the market-warping capacity scg and trollntoad buy)
>>
>>46775294
Sol Ring: ~4k
Hurricane: ~6-10k?
Mijae Djinn: Nearly 1k
Shatterstorm: Nearly 1k
Fastbond: 3k
Eye for an Eye: Nearly 1k
Balance: 10k
Summer packs: ? (At least 3k)
Shock: ~300?
Pain lands: ~2-3k each
Giant Growth: ~2-3k
Counterspell: ~2-3k
Black Lotus: ~20k
>>
>>46775002
Remember Hasbro makes no money in the secondary sales market. It would be in their best financial interest to reprint cards that have a high deman which would then sell more boosters or intro packs etc. Making them more money and dropping the price on the secondary market. The print run would have to carefully match the secondary market drop to ensure all packs sell ofc, but that isn't hard.
>>
File: goldenpan.png (27 KB, 330x219) Image search: [Google]
goldenpan.png
27 KB, 330x219
>>46772270
At least thats a real physical thing.
>>
>>46775859
Business isn't just create product -> sell to people, not if you are a multi-million dollar operation.
>>
>>46775904
I still have no idea how the fuck any of that happened.
>>
>>46775859
>Remember Hasbro makes no money in the secondary sales market

Don't be so gullible m8
>>
>>46772270
Wars have been fought over the ownership of a stool and a bucket. They weren't even the same war.

Frankly, you've set a low bar.
>>
>>46775917
That's exactly what a business is. Hasbro should be more concerned with their stock price and cash profit than what secondary market scavenger stores are doing or going to do - the succesful ones will adapt to the changed pricing. The fact that Wizards panders to the conflicting whims of several parties is ultimately more likely to lead to stagnation than if they were to actually be innovative and think about their customers rather than corporate relationships
>>
>>46772270
Suicide is cheaper ohana buy some rope and end it
>>
>>46772270
Man, the whores where you live must be cheap as fuck.
>>
>>46775904
Man, I have no idea how that shit works. I opened up a powerhouse case once, I got a strange unusual SMG with a fucking ugly skin, I check the market and discover I just effectively made $250+. Can't be sure since there's no other strange unusual pro killstreak version out there at all, but there's a strange unusual basic killstreak one going for $240.

It's not even GOOD. It's actively painful to use the damn thing! How the fuck do pixels get this expensive?
>>
There have been social experiments where children or monkeys paint terrible art, then it's put in a gallery and sold for tens of thousands.
Go complain about that.
>>
File: Heart.jpg (84 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Heart.jpg
84 KB, 250x250
>>46772270
>the more you pay
>the more it's worth

99.99% of humanity wouldn't pay a penny for a slip of paper like that. Take the time to think about how shitty a person would have to be to just go on the internet and tell others it was "worth" $120.
>>
>>46776908
I haven't touched TF2 in 5+ years. Do those stats on that gun actually do anything?
>>
>>46782148
It's all kills with the weapon and decorative stuff, it's as useless as the Sniper's standard SMG otherwise.
>>
>>46776908
What the fuck is this?

Overwatch please be out soon.
>>
File: 1452723130728.jpg (378 KB, 832x1034) Image search: [Google]
1452723130728.jpg
378 KB, 832x1034
>>46775904
>tfw first exposure to the game since leaving it at the dawn of the item store
>>
>>46775578
SCG events are great for other venders in that it gets people to show up. People are willing to drive 50+ miles to go to a SCG IQ. SCG events and TCGplayer events are some of the best events around and SCG sets the standard for streaming events. Hell They have gotten so big that you can now get a protour invite by winning an SCG invitational

As much as people hate SCG you can't deny they don't do many things to improve the game.
>>
>>46772312
>"FREE" market
>MTG
So you support proxies?
>>
>>46772312
Free market or not, it's a little bit silly.
>>
>>46782772
as far as i know SCG tournament support is the #1 driving force behind growth of the MTG brand for the past decade.
>>
>>46775223
SCG is actually in favor of removing the reserved list. They run essentially the entire legacy scene and have had to cut back on events because hyper inflation is killing attendance.
>>
File: 1410755720825.jpg (143 KB, 863x752) Image search: [Google]
1410755720825.jpg
143 KB, 863x752
>>46787406
this is 100% true

you can barely move Volcs (or other staples) at 300 apiece but they'd fly off the shelves at 50

unfortunately wizards feels obligated to honor the reserved list, which i both respect and revile in equal measure.
>>
>>46787488
Fuck scg anything that hurts themcis good for magic.
>>
>>46789526
Funnily enough, this is not.

IF SCG had to run 1000% on their rules? Nigga staples would be like 10-50 a piece.
>>
>>46782567
B-but when you kill someone with it, their corpse turns to gold!
>>
Just traded one for a Jace VP and I don't care.
>>
>>46774851
Well looking at the symbol on them. I'd say some sort of DCI promo
>>
>>46787406
>SCG is actually in favor of removing the reserved list.
Is there actually any proof of this?

>you can barely move Volcs (or other staples) at 300 apiece but they'd fly off the shelves at 50
Come Summer, this might change drastically.
>>
>>46790145
Look it up, in many discussion they have with wizards and collectors they're like "no reserve, me want cheap staple to jew"

>Come Summer, this might change drastically.
No, it won't get to any interesting speed. Learn basic economics. If they where 50 dollars a pop people wouldn't have to fucking save a WHOLE month's worth of "fun" money to buy 1 (yes, *1*) card.

You probably don't get this because you're a fucking neet (inb4 "No dude I totally win 600k starting ;)")
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SCG+reserved+list+
>>
>>46790213
Well, what's EM supposed to accomplish then in their minds, if not an uptick in Legacy sales?
>>
>>46780100
Well with that said, a car is just a hunk of metal and plastic. Most people would maybe pay a few hundred dollars for.
>but a car has function anon
I do get that it's not a perfect comparison by a long shot, but the point I'm trying to get across is that people will pay +10000 for a car, not even new
>>
>>46790243
>EM
u w0t m8?

Let me put it this way and why legacy is dead (and vintage is burried) having to spend 300 dollars/euros is shitload of 70% of the population (and impossible for anyone from a non-first world country or a semi-poor one like poland, spain, italy, etc...) that's no good for business who you think makes more money? Mr . Ferarri or Mr. Volkswagen? The only thing that can turn up legacy sales into profitable and save modern from going to hell in prices is a more liberal reprint policy, that's why proxies are going in upswing anon, you make a demand but you also promise to never satisfy it.

>>46790261
No, it's a shit-tier comparison. Saying you'd pay shitload of money for a decorative chess game is more accurate, since I can live, move, and sustain myself with a car. I cannot sustain myself with a magic deck unless I get obscenely lucky, same goes for the chess game, it does look fucking kickass tho.
>>
>>46782937
Of course. For playtesting and casual play, like FNM

Whenever a new set is spoiled the first thing I do is print it out and play the shit out of it
>>
>>46790310
That's not how free market works.
>>
>>46790288
I'm really with you there, all I ever play anymore is online. The interest to play Legacy or Modern is there, but as somebody that has no staples it's just not feasible to buy into now. I was just wondering what the fuck they are thinking, hence >what's EM supposed to accomplish then in their minds
>>
>>46790340
I meant what the fucking is EM
>>
>>46790340
>The interest to play Legacy or Modern is there

literally why would you be interested in playing more broken formats?
>>
>>46790353
Eternal Masters you pleb
>>
>>46790359
Because I want to play constructed, they killed Extended and screw Standard.
>>
>>46790371
Oh.

The problem with EM is that it will not solve ANY problem and will fall on everything modern masters did wrong.
>>
>>46790414
Please explain why you dislike Standard and I'll tell you why you're wrong.
>>
>>46790471
Not a fan of the fast rotation.
Does it make for a healthier game? Yeah, but not one I want to buy into at those prices.
>>
>>46790471
>I want to play storm
>I want to play miracles
>I want to play workshops
>I want to play dredge
>I want my deck to last more than a rotation
>I want to play nic fit
>I want to use very powerful cards
>>
>>46790506
Learn to evaluate cards better so you can buy low. Of course Standard is going to seem expensive if you're the guy at the bottom of the pyramid buying your Avacyns for $80 and holding the rest of us up. And be willing to tinker with your deck in the middle of a season so you can sell cards due to rotate out and the right time.
ie. don't hold on to baby Jaces until the bitter end just so you can win a few more games

>>46790525
>I want to meme
>I want to win my games at home on an excel spreadsheet
>>
>>46790792
>The average standard kiddo is so stupid he thinks any of those are auto-pilot or memedecks
>>
>>46790792
And if I just plain don't want to deal with rotations and babby's first stock market? I just want to buy a deck I like and not having to trash half of it after six fucking months.
>>
>>46790879
Yeah, I kekked at that shitter too. The most linear decks in legacy have more skill than the most complex modern decks. Even Oops has mulligan and reading your opponent.
>>
>>46791043
Play casual
>>
>>46791873
If I want to play constructed and I'm not playing Standard, Modern or Legacy, take a wild fucking guess what I'm doing.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.