[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sdasd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
Could anyone who is familiar with warhammer recommend me novels which would introduce me to the warhammer universe?

Ive already read Space Marine by Ian Watson but i want to read more.

Books i disregard
> main character is female

> Maybe hard to explain but when people have conversations that are unrealistic, you can just tell its made up from someones mind.
its like a bit too naive or unprofessional/childish.

any suggestions welcome
>>
>>46769044
>main character is female

I understand what you mean. They are so horribly written. But when they are ok, they are really just male characters with a reskin too.
>>
>>46769061
Yeah but not going to read 25books with females to find a decent one
>>
>>46769044
You should try Enforcer, the Shira Calpurnia trilogy. It might change your feelings about female protagonists. Plus, it's a great introduction to the 40K setting on worlds not currently at war.

> Maybe hard to explain but when people have conversations that are unrealistic, you can just tell its made up from someones mind.
You're going to need to rephrase this if you're looking for Warhammer novels. They're as ridiculous and unrealistic as any SF.
>>
File: 1458949029229.jpg (165 KB, 748x1069) Image search: [Google]
1458949029229.jpg
165 KB, 748x1069
>>46769044
I an Ad Mech fag, but I enjoyed Priest of Mars, Lords of Mars, and Gods of Mars trilogy by Grahm mcNeil.
>>
File: eisenhorn.jpg (15 KB, 253x281) Image search: [Google]
eisenhorn.jpg
15 KB, 253x281
>>46769044
EISENHORN!

It's by far the best 40k book, and the Daniverse is the coolest and best thought-out corner of the galaxy.

If you just want a broad introduction, Let the Galaxy Burn is OK, as it's a collection of different stories by different authors and covers all the big factions.
>>
File: Tauassault.jpg (152 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Tauassault.jpg
152 KB, 600x600
>>46769044
>Books i disregard
>> main character is female

Welcome to 40k.

Death of Integrity is decent if you want to jump into the deep end of space marines, alien monsters and whatnot. It gives a good impression of what the major factions involved are about and keeps the inside jokes or references (which are the bane of 40k books) to a healthy minimum.

It also makes good practical use of the Marines' more silly modifications. And is a generally enjoyable read.
>>
>>46769044
The Eisenhorn Books and the Ciaphas Cain books are a really good introduction to the primary players in the imperium. Ravenor is pretty good too.

For a look at space marines i would suggest the Soul Drinkers anthology. The Blood Angels and Space Wolves stuff is pretty decent too.

There are plenty of anthologies (let the galaxy burn, fear the alien) that give you a good look at the setting as a whole.

My personal favourite books are Storm of Iron, Titanicus and the Night Lords trilogy.
>>
>>46769044
Ciaphas Cain series, Gaunt's Ghost series, Colonel Schaffer's Last Chancers.

All IG themed, but you'll see more of the Imperium than through Spehs Muhrine stories.
>>
>>46770440
Dis man has it right. Last Chancers is very, very good, and I'm surprised to see it overlooked on most 40k lists.
Bevare of Ciaphas Cain, the books are very similar, so you can get bored easily if you go on a binge.

Eisenhorn and Ravenor are worthy reads, too.

>>46769092
I think OP meant badly-written verbal exchanges that don't flow like dialogues are supposed to.
>>
>>46769044
Most of ADB's books are widely regarded as some of the better books in the franchise, although personally I feel they twinge a bit too hard on that speshul snowflake vibe at times. Like, take his Night Lords series; the main 'protagonist' cast are largely just whiney little bitches barring the NL that's tweaking for Slaanesh that somehow magically end up beating out people that are massively more competent than them, up to and including Abaddon the motherfucking Despoiler. Compare that to Lord of the Night, and it all becomes a bit too up its own arse for me.
Most of his stuff is 'enjoyable' enough though, give them a burl.
Deathwatch is absolutely one you should read though, I think it's in the top 5 40k books. Add the SoB books to that for a better look at some Ecclesiarchal stuff, maybe the Word Bearers trilogy, and the aforementioned Lord of the Night.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.