[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Helping my friend write a pulpy ultra-vilont post apocalyptic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: 300px-Spider_Mutant10.jpg (20 KB, 300x474) Image search: [Google]
300px-Spider_Mutant10.jpg
20 KB, 300x474
Helping my friend write a pulpy ultra-vilont post apocalyptic home brew rpg, things have been going smooth with the setting and back story but he kinda hit a brick wall.

We have no idea how mutants came to be without using the "mutated by radiation" trope, any one have any suggestions for the source for mutants and mutations? They don't have to be good suggestions. We could probably refine it out later down the line, they just have to be a suggestion.
>>
they could be mutated from inbreeding, not enough DNA variation. Some form of virus or disease that alters the body. maybe the player is actually a mutant and he thinks everything else that is normal is mutated
>>
>>46767458
Have you watched Spider-Man? Use that.
>>
My vote goes to irresponsible DNA experiments
>>
File: KF2_Specimens2-620x400.jpg (87 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
KF2_Specimens2-620x400.jpg
87 KB, 620x400
Bioweapon clones
>>
>>46767458
Most if not all mutations are from a bioweapon-cross-supersoldier serum from before the war. It's just that most everyone thinks the mutations are from radiation because it's fucking everywhere.
In other words, rip off Fallout.
>>
>>46767458
Parasites altering the ecosystem.

HORRIBLE parasites.
>>
>>46767458
Magical space mold or nano-machines-gone-wild.
Or just read Degenesis.
>>
>>46767458
>Helping my friend write a pulpy ultra-vilont post apocalyptic home brew rpg
Stop right there.
Why are you doing this?
What made you think this was a good idea?
Don't you realize how FATAL got started?
Why are you doing this?
>>
Make some be radiation, some be disease, some be megaparasites, some be bioweapons, some be nanomachines, give it variety. Give the Mutants differing origins, make them have lineages.
>>
File: i want to fuck that.png (16 KB, 599x717) Image search: [Google]
i want to fuck that.png
16 KB, 599x717
>>46767458
>>
>>46768716
Who wouldn't want to see another FATAL? It would be totally worth it just for the laughs if nothing else.

Then again I have a feeling that instead of new FATAL we are likely dealing with just another average generic homebrew system that is actually just a "refined" (read: broken) copy of GM's favorite commercial system.
>>
>>46767458

Perhaps they could be not actual mutants, but things that have manifested from a different reality.
>>
>>46767458
That's a monster from The Forest, right?
Good stuff.
>>
A natural form of virility drug enabled older and older people to sire children, and the natural decay of DNA lead to those children having mutations.

The major issue with this is that it would take a long, long series of generations, though the process definitely could have started before the initial apocalypse.
>>
File: 1460622183139.jpg (351 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1460622183139.jpg
351 KB, 720x720
>>46767458
Russian Youtube egg-homunculi.
Seriously, it leads to massive creative freedoms on the GM and as of now the idea's still virgin land I'm pretty sure.
>>
symbiosis, kind of like the mitochondria origin hypothesis

>The endosymbiotic hypothesis suggests that mitochondria were originally prokaryotic cells, capable of implementing oxidative mechanisms that were not possible for eukaryotic cells; they became endosymbionts living inside the eukaryote.

the human body adapts to the presence/infection of a separate organism (microbe or some shit) and becomes a composite creature wholly separate from humans

parasites and prions (mad cow disease) don't really mutate organisms as far as i know
>>
>>46767458

Engineered viral weapon that inserts genes for (whatever you want) into whoever was infected by it
>>
Dr Oz promoted a hot new nutritional supplement on his show, Oprah pimped it too, soon everyone was taking it. Nobody knew what the long-term effects would be, nor the roles Ozma and Oprah would take at the helm of the new and broken world.
>>
>>46769113
>Dr Phil, Dr Oz and Oprah holding dominion over a ruined world

fund it
>>
>>46767458
Retroviruses are allways the answer.
A post-biowar-apocalipse setting gives you free reign for honest to God silent hill tier bullshit.
>>
>>46769022
THOSE were amongst the funniest videos i've seen on youtube recently.
>>
>>46767458

Biomodifications. At first it began innocuous, with people who worked as engineers or at construction sites being modified with an extra thumb or replacing their toes with fingers for better grasp at things or extended joints. Other people with stuff like better eyesight or reflexes or something relatively minor.

Then, at some point, all of it kind of slipped out of control and when society fell, a lot of second-hand genemods, volatile mixes, hostile bionic grafts and inbreeding between modified people resulted in all manner of grotesque, horrifying creatures, some of which are still deadly and dangerous, others that are simply pathetic so over-mutated that they can barely live.

The worst thing? We did it to ourselves, and all those mutants out there are still human.
>>
File: image.png (8 KB, 399x162) Image search: [Google]
image.png
8 KB, 399x162
>>46767458
Also go play Lisa The Painful/The Joyful RPG. You'll thank me later.
>>
>>46767458
If that pic isn't NSFW, I don't know what is.
>>
>>46767458
Well, depending on how far after the apocalypse, bioweapons. Not like cloned organisms or anything, but viruses that screw with fetal development.

Like Zika and microcephaly, only a strain that encourages extra limbs or conjoined twins/triplets.

A weapon that was intended to eliminate the people of a country instead of its wealth and infrastructure.
>>
Bioslime from the hollow earth bubbling up from the craters on the surface. The beings from below the surface wish to spread and share their covenant with the remnants of humanity
>>
>>46767458
Aliens.
>>
>>46767458
Crib it from Bioshock, I always did like how the people in rapture became fucked up.
>>
>>46767458
There are always those subterranean ponds locked under the ice of the antarctic where prehistoric bacterias swim.
>>
File: 7vaganias-n[1].jpg (19 KB, 172x170) Image search: [Google]
7vaganias-n[1].jpg
19 KB, 172x170
>>46768754
>>
File: being arnold in that scene.png (217 KB, 553x540) Image search: [Google]
being arnold in that scene.png
217 KB, 553x540
>>46770231
>>
>>46767458
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3abPnEEGE
This. Players can try to figure it out on their own if they really, REALLY want to.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.