[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be honest now, how old were you when you grew out of Magic: The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11
File: 1388339958594.jpg (59 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1388339958594.jpg
59 KB, 540x720
Be honest now, how old were you when you grew out of Magic: The Gathering and other similar tcgs?

I ask because I recently started writing my thesis on the mental health issues that affects Magic: The Gathering players and how no one is discussing this, you won't see it in the news. This is something that affects a great number of people. What I mean is, no sane person would waste money or time on games like MTG, YuGiOh and such, when there are far superior card games out there like Android: Netrunner. It's common sense. So it's worrying that something so obvious that can be seen at plain sight is being ignored by everyone. Jesus, just go to any Friday Night Magic tournament and you can see what I mean for yourself. Help me spread awareness please.
>>
File: pEXWuIY.jpg (126 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
pEXWuIY.jpg
126 KB, 900x675
>>
You know, Android: Netrunner started as a TCG... May want to include that in your Discussion section.
>>
>>46758886
It did, and it got refined into a better format.
>>
>>46758098
Magic player here.

It all starts when you realize you can win on price spikes and you give it a try.

By doing so you slowly build a collection and the bigger the collection, the quicker you see yourself dodging price spikes, winning.

Then you refuse to sell most of it because "it has no way to go but up, and I might need them". And of course you refuse to cash out because you will come back. Everyone does.

At this point I'm just trapped in this game. Enjoying my time a lot, fortunately.

As for other games, I would rather not get into another hobby because Magic appears to be the most popular, developped and fresh with constant new sets. I'm convinced some games could be fun, but I'm not interested because I am too deep in the known quality.

It's fine if you don't like it, but what matters to me is how I enjoy spending time and money on a hobby I love. I do admit this hobby is crazy unhealthy for me though, as in I have a 13,000 USD collection (according to deckbox.org) and don't even get to play all that much because of University.
>>
File: writing in a nutshell.jpg (27 KB, 476x349) Image search: [Google]
writing in a nutshell.jpg
27 KB, 476x349
>>46758098

I sincerely hope you include a 4chan thread on your works cited page.
>>
>>46759095
Of course.

>>46759065
At least you are self-aware man. But please consider getting treatment.

Sure, the other modern SUPERIOR cardgames are not as popular. But no card game should be that popular. Playing every now and then with a friend or your girlfriend or healthy tournaments should be enough.
>>
>>46758098
18+ and yet to grow out of MtG that being said I exclusively play draft and commander (non-French) so I doubt I'm representative o the average MtG player.
>>
>far superior card games

Jesus christ anon I can almost smell your fedora. We get it, you're pissed because no one plays your shit game.
>>
>>46759351
But you are wrong. I don't play card games. Play mostly euro games and RPGs. But if I played competitive card games, I would play any of the many LCGs and other similar games available today. It's 2016, many years have passed since MTG was created, many games have improved on it. It's an outdated game. You don't see anyone defending games like monopoly, except ignorant people that don't know any better, because it's an outdated game. Same thing with Magic: The Gathering. More like, we get it, you have wasted a lot of money and time on this game and you have to justify yourself somehow.
Be like this guy at least: >>46759065
>>
Card games are fun.
>>
>>46759690
But magic is FUN. Why do you hate it? Is it because you went against someone who bought a $1,500 T1 deck and beat your ass fourteen matches in a row?
>>
File: baitpain.jpg (74 KB, 445x263) Image search: [Google]
baitpain.jpg
74 KB, 445x263
>>46758098
>>
>>46759757
I don't hate it, and I don't get mad when that happens because I assess the situation and see what I can do to prevent it next time. Even if that solution is spending money on the game, because it's a hobby that happens to be expensive on the occasion.
>>
>>46759690
>because it is ~le CURRENT YEAR =:DDDDD~

Jesus fuck just kill yourself already you waste of perfectly good sperm and eggs
>>
>>46758098
Troll my softly, tiny dancer.
>>
>>46759757
Ah, sorry about that, >>46759821 was a mistake, sorry.
>>
>>46759757
I don't hate it. I'm just stating the fact that there is no reason to play it over any other modern card game. "Fun" is subjective, I know, but I realize people mostly still play it out of habit and ignorance, or because "it's popular".
>>
>>46759872
Oh I get it, you're just a stuck-up contrarian.
Hiding thread now. Have a nice day :^)
>>
>>46759832
I hate that used that cringe phrase, but I think this time applies. Do you think you are any better telling people to kill themselves? You sure are a FNM 12yo.
>>
>>46759895
>le contrarian maymay I HAVE NO ARGUMENT HIDING THREAD BYE
>>
>>46758098
>no sane person would waste money or time on games... when there are far superior... games
Source?
Have you considered that not everyone shares your tastes?
I don't even have a dog in this fight, but it sounds like you're a tremendous cocksucker.
>>
>>46760084
It's not a thing about taste. The game is terribly outdated. But the common tcg player is too submerged on that world and doesn't know anything about modern tabletop gaming. Out of touch people. Hell, I don't care for Dicemasters, but even that seems better. It's Magic with Dice/Pool Building
>>
File: 1449721759804.jpg (36 KB, 607x608) Image search: [Google]
1449721759804.jpg
36 KB, 607x608
>>46760084

It feels like he's applying the same logic you find in poli-sci textbooks.

>"So why do healthy, rational people vote if they should know one vote will never make a difference?"

>"So why do healthy, rational people play MtG if they should know there are more practical things to spend their time and money on?"

Both questions are pointless navel gazing constructed by people who think they're presenting some groundbreaking challenge to the status quo. At least most poli-sci books acknowledge the former question is a moot point.
>>
>>46760171
>No sane person would ever play/watch (Rugby / American Football) when they could instead play (American Football / Rugby)!
>It's the CURRENT YEAR! Rugby was invented in the 1800s!
>>
>>
File: 1445206512379.jpg (15 KB, 478x373) Image search: [Google]
1445206512379.jpg
15 KB, 478x373
>>46758098
>>
>>46760236
14 seems like a reasonable age to take a break and then come back to card games in your 20s when you discover the superior modern card games OR never play any again ever.
>>
>>46759757
Are skinner boxes FUN too?
>>
File: you.png (186 KB, 1400x1000) Image search: [Google]
you.png
186 KB, 1400x1000
>>46760288
Jesus Christ.
>>
>all this buyer's denial
>>
File: dank memes.png (583 KB, 680x689) Image search: [Google]
dank memes.png
583 KB, 680x689
>>46758098
There's a really good game somewhere in MtG. But it's buried in a rip-off business model and a really poorly manufactured, cheap product. If it were just a game you buy with expansions released like a normal game, and the cards weren't intentionally cheap pieces of shit with over half of them literally designed to be thrown away, then it would be most likely be a really good game that nobody would feel weird about paying for at all. But it also would be less profitable. By a lot. Like hundreds of times less.
>>
I played MTG, Spellfire, Jihad, Doomtrooper and a bunch of mid 1990s CCGs as a teenager. It quickly became apparent to me I didn't have the money to be competitive against adults. Since then I've only dabbled. I played in a MTG booster draft a few years ago and the punk ass kid I was up against cheated by reporting his "win" when I beat him.The game is fun I am just not interested in spending a lot of time or money.
>>
>>46760556
This guy has the right idea. I understand that, but it doesn't make sense from a consumer's point of view.
>>
>>46758098
Quit when I was 20, the game is shiiiiit
>>
>>46758286
Everytime I see this picture, I remember how much I hated this guy in highschool.
>>
>>46760737
Play any of these games instead:
Android: Netrunner or any other Fantasy Flight LCG.
Doomtown: Reloaded
Ashes: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
VS System 2PCG
Dicemaster
Mage Wars: Academy or Arena
Summoner War
etc
>>
>>46758098
I quit playing pokemon at like 14 I think. I still had a collection into my 20s but only old cards I would occasionally shuffle and be like "man those were the days". I never got into MTG.
>>
File: 1459211203917.jpg (9 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1459211203917.jpg
9 KB, 320x320
>>46758098
I had just turned 17, it was mostly that I didn't want to spend $200+ to keep up with my friends
>>
>>46759872
>No reason to play it over any other modern card game
For example? I'd like some specifics as to why any other collectible card game does not suffer the same disadvantages of magic.
>>
Trying to classify a player of a particular game as 'Mentally Ill' because the game is older or less balanced than alternatives seems pretty random. Basic playing cards, and the typical games played with them, have been available longer than anyone currently on earth has been alive. When a grown adult sits down to play Solitaire or Go Fish are they expressing a symptom of mental illness? Or have I missed a more specific point?

I've seen some scary MTG players, but I'd consider pre-existing mental issues on an individual basis before I'd blame a particular game or broadly label all its adult players as mentally ill without exception.
>>
>>46761278
Read
>>46760816
Better games, better formats.
>>
>>46758098
Mid-twenties or so is when I gave up on Magic. It wasn't because I "grew out of it" or whatever your current bait is about; something like Android: Netrunner wasn't even around back then. Rather, I just found myself putting more and more money into the game yet was enjoying it less. I kept needing to buy new cards from new sets to continue playing the game, and the only reasonable way to get the cards I wanted for the decks I desired was to purchase them straight from game stores. Once I'd moved on from just buying the occasional pack every week to putting $20 down for individual cards, I'd realized I was going too far. I needed to either stop or watch my income tank. I decided to stop.

Unfortunately, Android Netrunner and other LCGs aren't really the solution. I thought they might be, which is why I picked one up (Netrunner, actually) but found that the game itself had some problems. For one, nobody played. Card games are highly dependent on players being available, and with none handy, it made Netrunner next to worthless. Keeping up with the Netrunner sets wasn't really that different from keeping up with Magic. Sure, it was cheaper, but I was still leaking money constantly buying the sets. And there was one final problem with the no-player issue: it kills the deckbuilding aspect. If I need to teach someone how to play the game, then I can't exactly use my optimized deck I've been putting together from a dozen sets. I want to be using the preconstructed decks for some sense of fairness and to explain what was going on. The only way I can create my own decks and play them is if I get somebody really into the game, and they either buy their own or have free access to my collection.

At that point, there wasn't much point to Netrunner. I might as well be playing Love Letter, Yomi, Smash Up, or even Pixel Tactics at that point.
>>
>>46758098
Your evidence is anecdotal at best and completely biased at worst. Good luck finding any sort of hard evidence to back up your assertion.
>>
>>46761555
Except only comparatively small amount of people play those games in comparison to magic. Magic has chugged along for over 20 years and will keep chugging along because it's a good game. Hell, what other collectible card game has lasted as long as magic? Hating something because it's popular and then citing purely opinion based "evidence" will get you nowhere.
>>
>>46763202
Like I said before. I'm not hating on it. Hating a card game has to be one of the stupidest things in the world. I'm just stating facts.
>>
>>46759872
Depth of card pool. That is what magic has currently. I have played... a metric fuck ton of card games. I mostly play spellweaver at this point. Still, every once in a while I play some magic, because for a really competitive game, no game can really beat the card pool of magic. It has a MASSIVE lead at this point, and it puts out more sets regularly then many games.

>>46759690
Online TCGs are were the future of the design space is. Also were most of the innovation is. Yes LCGs are nice... but they don't solve the most fundamental problem of any card game, which is finding someone to play.

Like... I can say that Star wars LCG is very innovative, and deeply interesting. Yet, if I want to play a game I would need to either know someone, or have a FLGS that had some sort of event for it. If I want to play a game of Hearthstone, I pop open the client and find an opponent in under two minutes.

The main way to get good at a game is to play it. I literally could not play enough Netrunner to be anything but a scrub unless I lived in a heavily populated area that could support several FLGSs that all ran events for it. Whereas I can play as much Infinity Wars as I fucking want at any hour I want, as long as I have an internet connection.

I have played a metric shit ton of card games. Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Legend of the Five rings, Netrunner, SWLCG, Versus, Infinity Wars, Spellweaver, Elements, Hex, Hidden Dimensions, Spectromancer, Card Hunter, Force of Will, Champions of Might and Magic... So many I have probably forgotten more shitty games then the number on that list. At this point, I would probably never try to pick up a game if it wasn't an online game. I put 200 hours into infinity wars over like 4 months, and I was just starting to actually grasp some of the real stratagies. I dropped it because spellweaver is a better game. Still... I literally could not play 200 hours of Netrunner in 4 months.
>>
>>46764334<- I am this anon still

Also forgot to add Dulyst to the list, along with Hearthstone.

>>46759757

Magic is tainted with a bunch of shitty base design problems.

Lands, fundamentally they suck balls. Yes having an economy in a game besides actions is good. Yes, increasing resources is a good mechanic. Lands are not the answer though. They lead to RNG issues, and other problems. Tech has generally advanced past this flaw, most games use the base resource per turn system. Special mentions go to Spellweaver, which make lands work by having them usually cantrip, and giving the option to pitch a card to scry 5 for a land.

Planeswalkers. Adding an additional permanent type late in the games life... there are so many problems this has caused. Just at the most basic level, it fucks up all the cards that came before they type was added, as they were not built to interact with them. Things that should don't, and all sorts of minor cracks pop up. There will never be as much removal for them as for other card types, because there are so many sets already printed that don't have any removal intended to deal with them.

There are other mortal sins, but those are the most obvious. I should note that I don't really think of Kitchen table as "playing the game". If you just want to play "casually", then there is no reason besides personal tastes to not play any game. Hell even game balance shouldn't effect that. People still play monopoly. I can point out many mechanics in that game that are perfect examples of how NOT to make a game. Doesn't mean you shouldn't play it if you have fun. At the same time, you can't say that someone that doesn't like it doesn't have a point. There are a bunch of good reasons to call it a shit game for twats. Same with magic, many people still enjoy it. I even, as stated in an earlier post, play it from time to time. Usually cube drafting. Still, I can say it has a ton of fucking shitty mechanics.
>>
>>46758098
I was good enough to know that my decks were sub-par and the best way to improve them was to drop ~$120 on shock and fetchlands. Fuck that.
>>
I think expensive lands are the worst part of MTG. Lands aren't fun or exciting, but there are so many options that are so much better than your basics that you're utterly gimped unless you spend heaps of money on them. The rarity is obviously artificial as shit too, there's no reason WOTC couldn't print them at uncommon or common, not like they would ruin drafts.
>>
>>46758098
22, just starting and I can already tell this a b8 thread.
>>
>>46764764
But there are plenty of card games that have dropped or altered the mana system that play even more garbage. Half of the ones that adapted a more streamlined mana system are ridiculously tempo heavy because you get so many more resources to work with. Spell weaver is one the few that did pretty well with it I agree. At least back when I played in closed beta haha.
>>
this is bait

the argument is essentially:
>You like thing I don't
>I think other thing is better
>obviously you are mentally ill

>>46764892
Really, I stopped playing MtG due to this and finding hobbies I enjoyed more, like RPGs. Fuck the secondary market.
>>
I left Magic during Homelands expansion. Most of the cards were shit and everyone else had awesome out of print cards that I never could beat (and the were real shitty about it too). Got tired of losing, got tired of getting ripped off, got tired of how shitty everyone was to me.
>>
>>46765010
Fuck... forgot solforge.

Yeah, I am not saying that removing lands automatically makes your game good. Yu-Gi-OH is also a shit game for twats. It still is a bad game mechanic. The Elements resource system is also shitty as fuck. Hearthstone is terrible, like... I think back on the time I wasted on it and cry sometimes. Still, that doesn't make magic any better. There is just a lot of games that suck.
>>
>>46759222
Capitalizing your troll terms. Bold.
>>
I encountered Magic when I was 14. I played a single game of it using a friend's deck. I never played or even looked at it again.

Did I make the right choice?
>>
This may just be the worst thread I've seen on tg in years.
>>
>>46764334
But Spellweaver is an awful game that will never catch on.
>>
>>46765998

I would just like to pop in and say OP basically told us he's writing about "mental health issues. He's writing a goddamn college thesis on Autism in the MtG community.
>>
File: ace.jpg (43 KB, 460x620) Image search: [Google]
ace.jpg
43 KB, 460x620
>>46758098

I was around 12 years old, sometime around 7th edition.

Now I play Netrunner semi-competitively (started about 2 years ago) and I've had a blast.
>>
File: ALL THE SHIPS.jpg (99 KB, 442x355) Image search: [Google]
ALL THE SHIPS.jpg
99 KB, 442x355
I learned and played a free online version with my coworkers but I never bought a card. The closest thing to it I do play is X-Wing, but if it were only a card game I wouldn't have any interest in it.
>>
I probably more or less stopped right after the Innistrad block, when I was 20 I believe. Just didn't have the money/will to spend it to keep up with everyone around me.
Tried Netrunner because it seemed a fun game but nobody in the LGS played it (except for one obnoxious Blue Sun spammer), so those boxes are standing unused on my shelf for over a year by now. Heard that the new place I'm moving to has a good community, but in the meantime my collection is horribly outdated....
>>
Started at 12 with my dad and I've kept going until the present days in college.
>>
Fuck off Netrunner shill
>>
>>46758098
I don't know what college you go to but it sounds pretty fucking trash for someone to do a thesis on "Magic: The Gathering and mental health", and to have failed to have taught you proper investigative methodology (as evidenced by a biased question asked on 4chan of all places, no external survey, do obvious data collection).

I hope you reconsider everything and manage to get a job.

Of course this is probably also bait so enjoy page 10.
>>
>>46758098
>Be honest now, how old were you when you grew out of Magic: The Gathering and other similar tcgs?

Once I left home and had to start buying cards with my own money.
>>
I was 25 when I got out. All the fucking neckbeards were disgusting. Yeah they were fine when I was still a neckbeard, but over the summer I started going to the gym, lost a shitton of weigh and got in shape and all the fat fucks started being even more petty towards me.

I don't know what it is about magic that attracts people who try to make up for all their shortcomings with little pieces of cardboard, but the turbo spergs are just too much for me to deal with. Sold all my cards except my Boros EDH deck and my G/W landfall deck, occasionally still play with my brother and a friend from time to time.
>>
>>46758098
looks like Samwell Tarly in Bravos being challenged by local flashy swordfag
>>
Interest waned for me when eldrazi happened the first time, causing a boring rapid alteration of meta for years to come with every deck having to have one or more of the big boys in them.

Then again when Mirroidin was thrown under the bus.

And again when slivers were thrown under the bus as well, turned into uninteresting humanoid creatures.

I can't even enjoy the lore anymore because it's focused around the awful neowalker characters and is basically the same shitty frameworks each block with a different walker in each role.

The game has become so fundamentally blatant in its intentional imbalance designed to print money. Cards are objectively worse than others for the sole reason of the faux-currency of "rarity" which does nothing for the actual game itself, only a money-making scheme for WotC.

Shit, at least with wargames you get to at least have cool models you've assembled and painted. With Magic I can only view HD card art via the internet, which doesn't cost anything additional.
>>
21 assuming I don't relapse.
>>
>>46758098
I still play Magic.

But I play it casually, among friends, who themselves only play casually.

When a new set comes out I buy 2 of the same preconstructed decks and mix them together. The precons come with two booster packs each for a total of four, which will then give me a few additional in-color cards.

Then after that I buy maybe two or three more booster packs total from the set, or else buy individual cards from my LGS or CardKingdom.

Then the backlog of cards this gives me allows me to build some fun thoroughly casual decks or EDH decks.

But again, I play Magic for fun amongst friends. I've only been to a few FNMs, and disliked it each time. The "fun" is missing.
>>
>>46759872
>there is no reason to play it over any other modern card game.

Staying power. Most other card games last for a few years at most and then die out. Because Magic is "popular", however, it keeps on truckin' year after year. You will always find Magic players, there will always be new Magic cards, allowing you to build new decks and have new strategies, etc.
>>
>>46759252
Actually you probably are representative of the average. The average is certainly not the tournament tryhard.
>>
>>46758098
When I realized it was a kike owned game.
>>
What the fuck is Android Netshitter?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.