[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Pauper General: Just Play Modern Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Chain+Lightning+%5BVMA%5D.jpg (63 KB, 229x310) Image search: [Google]
Chain+Lightning+%5BVMA%5D.jpg
63 KB, 229x310
Who cares any more.

>MTGO Pauper Guide
https://www.cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>BUT I WANT TO SEE ALL VIABLE DECKS!
http://tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>WAHHH THATS TOO HARD WHERE...
http://www.mtg-hunter.com
The bottom left has a box, select MTGO Pauper, all cards in the card pool and banlist are taken into account.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings
>>
>X hours in
first for izzet alphastrike masterrace!
>>
is it fun to play burn? I really like red and I like burn in concept but every time I'm thinking of building an actual deck it seems like playing burn is the most brain dead activity you could imagine.
>>
>>46750448
Me go face.
Me never lose.
SMorc. SMorc.
Me play bolt?
Yes.
Me play angel?
No.
Me ams smart?
Yes
>>
Is Elves fun? Is the ramp insane?
>>
File: aristocrats.jpg (422 KB, 1354x816) Image search: [Google]
aristocrats.jpg
422 KB, 1354x816
Fucking Aristocrats. This deck is insane.
>>
>>46750569
seems legit
>>
>>46751568
It feels very legit when you're playing with it. The one thing I'm unsure about is the sideboard. Cards like Spellbomb, Smash and Electrickery are really good in certain matchups, but it always feels bad when your boarding out creatures for them. I think I'd much rather play creatures with comparable effects so that they synergise somewhat with my sac outlets. Might try out Ingot Chewer over Smash for this reason.

Deathgreeter is great in certain matches, but oftentimes Lifestaff fills a similar purpose and isn't as easily removed.

And that Nantuko Husk in the board is there mostly because I couldn't think of what else to put there. I've boarded it in a couple of times when I didn't know what else to bring in and I thought the extra body would be more usable than whatever it was I boarded out but I've so far never drawn it since I put it in.
>>
>>46750448

Burn in Pauper is Burn is Burn.

It functions the same as every other burn deck in every other format.
>>
Can I run a red black destruction deck in standard pauper?
>>
>strictly worse lightning bolt
>costs 9000x more than lightning bolt

Never change mtg
>>
>>46752805
Which one?
>>
>>46750569
>not playing this build http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zuberaristocrats-pauper/
>not getting 4 cards and a 2/2 flyer for 4 mana
>>
>>46752828
He's talking about Chain Lightning.
>>
>>46752835
I mean 3/3 flyer
>>
>>46752835
That list uses several cards that I have tried and found to be very lacking in this strategy.
>>
File: 1455140943692.jpg (129 KB, 700x471) Image search: [Google]
1455140943692.jpg
129 KB, 700x471
These fucking jackoffs at my local store follow MTGO ban list but not card pool. Every card printed at common on paper is free game. How can I push their shit in?

Goblin grenade? Any good burn spells that aren't fucking Chain Lightening?
>>
>>46756161
Sinkhole and Hymn to Tourach in a mono-black control deck.
>>
>>46756184
They are using the MTGO ban list
>>
>>46756161
>Any good burn spells that aren't fucking Chain Lightening?
Fiery Temper + Wild Guess or that other Draw&Discard I can't remember the name of
Lotus Petal + Kuldotha Rebirth + Goblin Bushwhacker (also Chromatic Sphere or Mind Stone to make sure you have what to get the Kuldotha off)
Reckless Charge (needs a creature to get through but in my experience that flashback was frequently the extra push I needed to win)
>>
>>46750448
Burn is not fun. If you realy like red play Izzet Blitz or Goblins.
>>
Need a competitive deck I can spend my 5 tickets on. Please advise.
>>
>UB in top 5 3 straight
>It's 4.7 tickets
>Moneyfags getting BTFO

huehuehuehuehue

I love Pauper.

Creatures (7)
3 Sea Gate Oracle 2u 0.45
1 Mulldrifter 4u 0.15
3 Gurmag Angler 6b 0.12
Spells (30)
1 Dead Weight b 0.01
2 Disfigure b 0.08
1 Dispel u 0.04
1 Duress b 0.04
1 Tragic Slip b 0.04
3 Chainer's Edict 1b 0.27
4 Counterspell uu 0.92
1 Deprive uu 0.05
1 Devour Flesh 1b 0.04
1 Doom Blade 1b 0.04
1 Echoing Decay 1b 0.20
2 Essence Scatter 1u 0.08
4 Think Twice 1u 0.16
3 Forbidden Alchemy 2u 0.12
1 Rakshasa's Secret 2b 0.01
2 Soul Manipulation 1ub 0.08
1 Deep Analysis 3u 0.04
Lands (23)
1 Bojuka Bog 0.04
3 Dimir Aqueduct 0.12
4 Dismal Backwater 0.08
1 Evolving Wilds 0.01
7 Island 0.00
1 Mortuary Mire 0.01
2 Radiant Fountain 0.12
3 Swamp 0.00
1 Vault of Whispers 0.09
Sideboard (15)
1 Dispel u 0.04
2 Duress

b 0.08
1 Nihil Spellbomb 1 0.04
1 Chainer's Edict 1b 0.09
1 Doom Blade 1b 0.04
2 Negate 1u 0.02
3 Shrivel 1b 0.12
1 Spellstutter Sprite 1u 0.06
1 Crypt Incursion 2b 0.04
1 Stormbound Geist 1uu 0.04
1 Mulldrifter 4u 0.15
75 Cards Total
>>
>>46757923
I've played a lot of Teachings and I still don't understand what brings people to put stuff like Rakshasa's Secret, Dead Weight, Deep Analysis, Gurmag Angler and Mulldrifter in the deck. You want as few things as possible to be sorcery speed, partly because you want to be able to search for it with Mystical Teachings, and partly because you want to keep as much mana as possible until your opponent's end step. Card draw that isn't instant speed is seriously not worth it in this deck. The only sorcery speed cards I have found to be bearable in Teachings are Chainer's Edict, Evincar's Justice, Curse of the Bloody Tome and Pristine Talisman.

For much the same reason I find creatures to be a very poor investment of cards in the deck. Having them only means that your opponent's removal spells aren't dead draws, and you could play more answers instead of clunking up your deck with the worst win condition the deck can run. Personally I've found Curse of the Bloody Tome to be the overall best win condition, with Evincar's Justice a close second - though I prefer to use it as a sweeper and only rely on it as a backup wincon in case my opponent has some sort of answer to Curse in their maindeck.

I also see very little point in playing cards like Essence Scatter, False Summoning or Remove Soul. In this particular list, for example, both Essence Scatters could be replaced by two more Deprives and the list would almost certainly be improved, or, if you really want a counterspell to be used early, Mana Leak or Miscalculation.
>>
>>46758142
>Says deck makes poor choices
>It's placing no.1 in tourny's

Yeah I don't really give a shit about all that garbage you posted. It's under 5 tickets and it's wrecking shop you armchair MTG player.
>>
>>46758226
No, Teachings is a great deck. It's certainly the best control deck, possibly just best deck, in the format. I've played it for months now because of that exact reason, and in the beginning I had many of the cards I critiqued in my list because the list I based it off of had them. It became apparent fast though that while the deck functioned with them it became much better without them.
>>
>>46750569
I really like this. How good are the Unearths in this deck? Is it possible to replace them for something else? It looks like my zombie deck prototype
>>
File: 1458485320624.jpg (61 KB, 1024x527) Image search: [Google]
1458485320624.jpg
61 KB, 1024x527
I have way too much BUG in my decks. What deck should I build next? I want to have a nice diversity of decks for gauntlets and stuff like that.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deck-folders/26-03-16-CVy-pauper/
>>
>>46758142
>I still don't understand what brings people to put stuff like Rakshasa's Secret, Dead Weight, Deep Analysis,
Agree on the fisr two, but Deep Analysis is a potential 4 for 1. It's a really good card.
>Gurmag Angler and Mulldrifter in the deck.
Some people like to win without having to cast Evincar's Justice every turn for 20 minutes.

>I also see very little point in playing cards like Essence Scatter, False Summoning or Remove Soul. In this particular list, for example, both Essence Scatters could be replaced by two more Deprives and the list would almost certainly be improved, or, if you really want a Counterspell to be used early, Mana Leak or Miscalculation.
You are mostly right, but that particular build runs already 10 tapped lands and 2 that are colorless. Paying 1U vs UU means they can pay it turn 2 rather than turn 3 (or 4!), which is a world of difference.
>>
>>46759247
You need some Boros Kitty in your life.
>>
Why does everyone in tournament practice on MTGO use Affinity? Then they complain about Burn? I'm so tired of winning due to their game timer running out. Morons.
>>
>>46759761
Affinity running out of time? How? Affinity is a deck that either wins quick or durdles for ever letting you kill them.
>>
>>46759442
Boros Kitty? Do you mean the Jeskai deck or some other build?
>>
>>46760608
Boros is perfectly viable. It loses some midrange but gains speed and a less clunky manabase, so casting Kuldotha Rebirth isn't as hard.

You lose Mulldriffter, but you gain Faithless Lootings, which somehow makes up for it.

It's just a different build but pretty viable.

http://magicgatheringstrat.com/2014/06/boros-kitty-a-primer-in-two-parts/
>>
>>46762094
I think it gets too expensive with the artifact lands, bolts and blasts.
>>
>>46759410
>10 tapped lands and 2 that are colorless
Honestly, if that deck can't play counter spells until turn three it's likely not because it doesn't have access to UU but because all its lands enter the battlefield tapped. There's also a point to be made about the deck being filled with creature removal, so playing counterspells that only target creature spells is redundant.
>>
File: 2edwdfwdf.png (139 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
2edwdfwdf.png
139 KB, 223x311
MonoB Control/Devo/whatever is really popular in my meta, and I run G stompy. Is it just me or is It a really, really good matchup? Seems I never run out of gas and can play threats faster than they can deal with them. Bonus points because i run 2x each of Wild Mongrel and Basking Rootwalla - with 2x Mire Boa in the sideboard.
>>
>>46750473
Me trade with Jace?
NOPE
Me go face?
YUP
>>
>>46759197
>How good are the Unearths in this deck?
Pretty good. It's pretty nice to be able to bring back a Feeder if the opponent manages to deal with it, or to be able to, for example, play a Mogg War Marshall, sac it to Feeder and bring it back with Unearth to sac it again, and since it's both the only card in my deck that cares about my graveyard and can cycle it usually doesn't matter much when the opponent brings in cards like Relic and Spellbomb against me.

>Is it possible to replace them for something else?
I don't think so.
>>
>>46762094
That seems more fun than the jeskai build. I only played it a few games but its so slow with the mulldrifters. Just going straight boros kuldotha seems more action packed.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.