[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>my setting has elves, dwarves, and orcs What about your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 26
File: 200w.gif (1 MB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
200w.gif
1 MB, 200x113
>my setting has elves, dwarves, and orcs

What about your original races? You have those, right /tg/?

Tell us about them.
>>
Why do you need semi human "races" at all?

People are fascinating enough
>>
>>46741688
shut up, fag
>>
>>46741688
Hey, who says it needs to be semi-human races? You could a have a society or two of very alien beings if needed.
>>
>>46741851
You know what I mean

It's all reskinned humans with quirks
>>
>>46741555
My setting has humans, and several monstrous humanoids like the French and Italians.
>>
File: Snid Bowman Token.png (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Snid Bowman Token.png
13 KB, 300x300
CRAB PEOPLE CRAB PEOPLE
>>
well it ain't original, but in mine you can play Einherjar if you earn it.
>>
>>46741555
I'm playing D&D and not going to balance a new playable race and when I make settings for my writing, I'm in science fiction making aliens.
>>
>>46742860
What are your aliens like?
>>
>>46741555
All of my races are various members of the Homo genus given some reason to not be extinct. Neanderthals, sapiens, floresiensis, erectus, heidelbergensis. Various degrees of interbreeding are possible but the vast majority of combinations where it is even possible the offspring are sterile. To be honest it isn't really THAT accurate, I had to modify the known capabilities of species to try and justify their existence or make them notably different from sapiens, but it works pretty well.
>>
File: 1399181989431.jpg (142 KB, 900x752) Image search: [Google]
1399181989431.jpg
142 KB, 900x752
>>46742885
Most of them belong on f-list
>>
File: 1457589149899.jpg (20 KB, 328x315) Image search: [Google]
1457589149899.jpg
20 KB, 328x315
>>46742885
>mfw I try for a pulp science fantasy setting and no one gets the aesthetic and they complain that the aliens are just recolored humans
>>
>The descendents of aliums coming to the world and conducting breeding experiments with humans. Basically a cross between a human and a typical grey alien, but 10-15 feet tall.
>A small race of goat-like people who originally crash landed in the distant past on the planet and made a stable population.
>Alien aquatic refugee inhabitants whose planet froze, here since the world has a lot of water, cephalopod-like.
>Large sentient arachnids, illegally smuggled and housed on the world with other bug-types but the smugglers were shut down and the arachnids basically ate near all the other bugs in the facilities before getting out and started developed on their own.
>One very specific type of tree which probably was created by aliens for terraforming, is sentient, gendered and mobile.

Those are the proper "races" we've encountered. Setting is similar to Earth in medieval times, but as though Earth was in a closer and more crowded region of the galaxy, so first alien contact occurred in say caveman times and has been important or impacting of the worlds history, and is not particularly uncommon. As such overtime certain mistakes or accidents by fault of aliens have led to some other races becoming natives.

Also about 200 years prior, some space government concordance was enacted, that allowed for establishing of distress stations on even primitive worlds (ours), for the benefit of things like ships crash landing, running out of fuel, needing to stop for approved supplies, possible refugee resettlement, etc... said distress stations apart from space communication though are supposed to fall within the range of scientific advancement of the world (periodically checked by space government) and to be maintained by whatever natives own the land the distress stations are made on. So basically there are a small handful of time era appropriate facilities that are frequented by all sorts of actual aliens to the world, usually temporarily staying but some illegally stay.
>>
>>46743093
Don't worry, even Bioware forgot Mass Effect was doing that by ME2.
>>
>>46742937
As long as I can Kirk them it's all good.
>>
>>46741555
Aztec Ant-people
Feudal Japanese Beetle-people
The Deep Folk, horrific squid/fish/crab things that were probably the first sapient race in the setting

All of them are really ancient, pre-dating Elves, and so are almost extinct.
>>
>>46741555
I only have concepts so far. Fleshing them out has been kind of a trick since I want to keep a story-book fantasy vibe but I also want to keep them from seeming like re-skinned humans.

The youngest race in my setting are the Lizardfolk. Their species is only about two hundred years old and currently hovering around a bronze-age level of technology. They make their home in desert on the edge of the world (the world is flat). Instead of producing offspring, new Lizardfolk rise out of the desert sand already at the cusp of adulthood possessing basic knowledge and reasoning skills. Due to their method of reproduction being almost literally tied to their homeland, it's pretty much unheard of to see more than one or two in other territories. There are a great number of people who don't even know they exist.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble thinking up much beyond that. I'm fiddling with the idea of giving them an extra set of arms and I'm also thinking about having them be adept at masonry, but figuring out a solid identity for them has been difficult.
>>
It's midnight, I've already told /tg/ my OC donut steal races before, and I have classes tomorrow. I'm not going to bother and none of you are going to care
>>
File: 562.jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
67 KB, 600x600
___(animal) people that are ______(real world culture)
>>
>>46743385
It would be funny if there were a conservationist moment mostly composed of elves and druids trying to keep them alive.
>>
>>46743502
>Slow Lorris
>Mongol Hordes
>>
>>46743502
>being an autist to create 100% OC for a tabletop game
>>
>>46741555
My group has been setting up a Stars Without Number game where we all made our own races, with the caveat that we can't have generically human-styled ones. The core races are like this (we also have a bunch of non-player ones for flavor or enemy factions. Humans are our newly discovered "edge of space" big bad)

Pellucidians: Silicate geode people powered by element zero styled psychic shit. They look like 2 foot across triacontahedrons who speak by projecting images like a psychic abstract-ish shape. They invented the translator, by necessity.

The Orchidacae are plant based crinoid looking things who lived on a pretty irradiated planet, and so got into cybernetics really hard, and now mostly robot plant crinoids.

The Occagoya Minor are little crustacean looking things from an antimatter universe that got pulled into this universe via shenanigans. They live in vacuum exoskeletons so they don't explode everything they touch.

The Thallids (Mine, shamelessly stolen from magic) are giant fungus monsters who reproduce constantly, speak in the third person, and resolve every situation by maiming or murder. They have to wear hazmat suits off planet by galactic decree, so they don't eat/spawn all over everything.

The Lucet: Reptilian six-limbed bipeds from a planet that orbits five suns, and so only has night about once a century. Pathologically terrified of darkness, and brought bureaucracy to the galactic coalition.

Still unnamed bug race: A highly visually different race of eusocial insects that can eat the element zero expy to gain great psychic powers, but it's a heavy narcotic to them. They work as pilots, because telekinesis-ing the ship is better than having to steer.

Name-argued-over sillicate race: A symbiotic race made of two species from two close orbiting planets, a tiny organic one and giant pseudointelligent mountains. Combine them together, and you get a sentient ship that is a flying mountain.
>>
>>46743518
My setting is really big on racism so Elves really don't give a shit about them.

The Deep Folk are really butthurt about the ecological shift that caused the seas to recede and their race to decline so maybe I'll have one pull a doomsday scenario.
>>
>>46743564
>not being That DM who just uses games as testing grounds for his WIP fantasy novel

Lmao, it's like you're trying to run a game with good game design or something.
>>
>>46741555
I've got a race that's halflings, elves, and giants rolled into one but that's not super original.

I've also got vampires as an actual species but that's also not that original.
>>
>>46743686
>from an antimatter universe that got pulled into this universe via shenanigans

Spooky. Do they have very different tech from everyone else?
>>
>>46743564
>If you care about things your autistic meme
>>
>>46741555
My current setting is actually a bronze age Mediterranean that somehow transformed into the three kings halfway though.
>>
Adorable rabbit people that can be mistaken for halflings at a glance.
They're druidic, can turn into rabbits basically at will, and afraid to death of anything outside of their enchanted forest safe zone, especially humans because reasons (though I'm sure at least one of them fetishizes humans, given the people on this site).

Muttfolk (No, really) are a mixture of a lot of races that came to be because people in the cold as fuck far northern areas get really bored and really desperate. They're considered inbreds by most 'pure' peoples, but they kept most of the better parts of their former genetics- except for the fact that they have a 40-year lifespan.

Basically water-breathing Atlantians who got sick of the elves and orcs (humans were bad enough) and reeeed themselves into the depths of the ocean, circlejerking about their superior technology for the last three thousand years or so. In reality, there are some very big advancements, but most of it is either par or less than dry-ground tech. They're the basis for mermaid myths in the setting.
>>
File: mushroom people.png (724 KB, 2112x1600) Image search: [Google]
mushroom people.png
724 KB, 2112x1600
Just this.
>>
>>46743788
Kind of. They were sentient, but a prey race on the food chain, who's only real upside was a pretty nice regeneration factor that meant they could lose a limb and have it back in a week or so. When a crazy celestial event pulled them into the matter universe, they were suddenly able to do pretty much whatever without being eaten, because anything that tried to touch them exploded.
They also fought a war against the coalition at one point, and won because antimatter. They ended up a position of power, but don't know what to do with it, due to prey mentality.
Their tech is much more "tech" than most of the races in setting, but a lot of it is also using vacuums to manipulate things. Game wise we had it that their HP wasn't actually what it took to kill them, but what it took to breach their suit, thereby blowing up the ship.
>>
Harpies and Minotaurs replace Dwarves and Elves on the Fantasy Player Race triangle. Minotaurs are all magic casters who believe in philosopher-kings that rule them and travel the seas in great double-hulled canoes. Harpies fly from mountaintops raiding and hunting animals and lesser races, dragging them back to their eyries for food and as labor.
>>
>>46741555
In my campaign every race is fluffed to be akin to humans, with everyone being descended from a common nordic looking ancestor.
>>
File: GSKarst.jpg (226 KB, 850x1257) Image search: [Google]
GSKarst.jpg
226 KB, 850x1257
It BARELY counts as 'original races', but I've been kicking around this idea for a while.

So Gnomes, right? They're sort of associated with the earth, but they aren't married to the earth like Dwarves are. Gnomes are also one of four alchemic spirits made up by some hack fraud in Switzerland, but for whatever reason Gnomes had better PR and made it into public consciousness in a way that Salamanders, Sylphs, and Undines didn't, which lead to them being a kind-of-sort-of fantasy staple.

To make a long story short, I've been thinking of a setting where the only four races are inspired by the four classic elemental races, but given the same treatment that the Gnome had. Gnomes have some qualities of the earth, but they aren't totally obsessed with it; similarly, Undines have qualities of the water, but they aren't merpeople living underwater like they are in other fantasy settings (if they show up at all). Of course, what they are instead is kind of what I'm hung up on at the moment.

My current issue is I can't think of a look for the Salamanders without them being a ripoff of the Proxians from Golden Sun (see left). Then again, it's not like Golden Sun is going to get a new game ever again, so whatever.
>>
>>46743917
>travel the seas in great double-hulled canoes
>not triremes
>>
Here are some highlights. They aren't all in the same setting obviously.

> Sentient Swarm of bees that teaches horticulture.
> Metal Spheres that move things via magnetism
>Humanoid Constructs that have cubes they can use to transfer skills and memories.
> Humanoid orc-like creatures that are always born in twins and triplets. Twins/Triplets have can communicate with each other telepathically.

> Lizard people with short lifespans, electricity along with blood and a society built on doing "one great thing before you die". There is a set of books that contain the name of every lizard along with the one big thing they contributed/did before they passed. Not having something next to your name when you die is considered terrible, as you have wasted your short life. Having something not that big is acceptable, but having something impressive means that your name is saved forever.
>>
Bee People are original, right?

Non-Royals have a hivemind effect that can vary in effect; they can either be totally autonomous or completely under the direction of the Royal they 'belong' to. Because of this they generally have a weak sense of self, to the point where they don't really have (or care about) names; non-Royal superiors are 'sir', those they are superior to are 'private', and anyone they are mostly on equal terms with any array of vague non-names. They have no trouble deciphering who is being discussed in a conversation, but outsiders are usually bewildered. If an outsider gives a Bee a nickname, any Bee who understands that the nickname refers to that particular person will acknowledge it, but they are incapable of using the name themselves. (Royals may or may not have this same sort of problem with names, since they refer to everyone as 'proles').
>>
When I made my homebrew setting, I set out to specifically not use generic fantasy races.

I ended up splitting humans into two sub-races, and was left with a few other races.

A race of humanoid dragons, averaging a foot taller than humans, who have wings and are the only race capable of anything approaching traditional magic. They are imperialistic, territorial, and appear savage to most other races, as their only means of advancing their magical talents is through the consumption of the brain of a defeated adversary of their race. They have a fascination with class and domination, creating a culture of competition and appearance. The majority believe that, if their race dominates the rest of the world, their god will return to them and take them back to where they belong.

A race of ageless beings whom can survive solely on water. As they age, they go through a sort of "puberty" which gives them visions of every living being through its eyes, including their emotions and thoughts. This is a culturally significant event where you either choose to fight to protect everything that you now recognize as a part of you, and you a part of it, or you go crazy and run away, to either hide or kill. Those who choose to stay stand guard across the world to preserve life, killing only when necessary, and only if it benefits the many over the few. If they advance in age, they have the power to "cancel" actions, particularly those of an unnatural nature. This comes in handy against the many freakish creatures of the wild and the above imperialistic magic users.

A race of 4-8 2-foot tall gray humanoids, created as a litter through a sort of "molting" from a previous litter. The litter acts and thinks as a small hivemind, or how a sufferer of multiple personality disorder might, arguing and debating amongst itself, but unable to do much unless all members are in agreement.
>>
>>46741555
Well you probably wouldn't get it. But my campaign has a race of sapient beings called Chelovek. They are rarely used in modern D&D but were once one of the most popular races. They are bipedal mammals who communicate through sound waves cause by vibrations created from an internal organ. They have two limbs like most sapient races and are equipped like so with 4 fingered hands along with an opposable thumb. They are like a doppelgänger but with much smaller proportions, and with peach colored skin. They live in civilizations they've built over the years, living side by side with elves, dwarves, and rarely orcs. While not inherently having any magical or psychic abilities, they can develop most of them with relative ease and experience.
>>
>>46743867
What are the advancements?
>>
>>46744612
How wierd. It seems like it was only used for Mary Sue's.
>>
File: Afro.jpg (17 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
Afro.jpg
17 KB, 270x270
>>46741555
>What about your original races? You have those, right /tg/?

Nope. My setting only has humans, and the various ethnicities of humans if you count those as "races". I've always maintained that if you can't think of an interesting human to roleplay, then chances are you won't be able to make any other character race interesting either.
>>
File: Blemmy-Nuremberg_chronicle.jpg (112 KB, 600x565) Image search: [Google]
Blemmy-Nuremberg_chronicle.jpg
112 KB, 600x565
>>46741555

I like to use mythic humanoids from real mythologies (yes I know elves and dwarves are 'derived from' real myths). I like Sciapods, people with only a single massive leg with a single huge foot on it, and cynocephaloids, men with dog heads, and of course everyone's favourite pic related, the Blemmy.
>>
>>46744437
A race of humanoids made of stone, bound together by some strange magical field. They can vaguely "see" their surroundings through tremorsense and hear in a similar fashion, communicating through gyration and grinding of the limbs. They are the forerunners in the art of enchantment, as they were the first to discover it. Many now use enchanted artifacts to speak a surfacer-intelligible language.

A race of frog people who live along coasts and facilitate communication between the underwater fish people and the overlanders. They are rare, but exist somewhere in most every culture.

The fish people have developed a very xenophobic culture through centuries of isolation. They spend so much time in the depths of the ocean, that they are the foremost Water Style martial arts practitioners. They use their talents mainly to spy on the other nations and to facilitate water-based trade and travel. Plenty take advantage of the water-based trade to practice a bit of piracy with the frog people.
>>
>>46744417
Are they cute and fluffy like bumble bees?

I like your take on them, very interesting that's it's not really a hivemind. Not that there's anything wrong with hiveminds though.
>>
I don't have any original races outside of a few monsters. Even those aren't very original. I prefer taking the typical ones and giving them some twists without making them something completely unlike their namesake. The setting itself is different from usual, however. It's based on 1920-1940 America rather than medieval Europe.
>>
>>46744634
It is a race often used to make them. While each Cheloveks are similar, each one is unique in the fact that they are never quite the same. They have different hair colors as well as facial features. Their bodies come in as many forms as there are flavors of Ben & Jerry's ice cream.

They are an excellent base for Mary Sues.
>>
>>46744693

I'm gonna say yes, if only because fluffy insects are the best insects.

As for the hivemind aspect, the way I've been planning it is that it's never really 'off', it's just usually pretty weak, with a general sort of 'do your part for the fortress' impulse. It's kind of like an RTS; you get everyone set up and let them handle themselves while you do Royal stuff, only checking in every now and again to make sure some dumbass isn't milling back and forth and being useless. But when there's a threat, especially a threat to the Royal, they go into full minmaxing mode, even (especially?) at the cost of the lives of those beneath them. Generally speaking, sneaking around in a hive on high alert is all but futile.
>>
>>46744102
>Triremes
They're a Polynesian-inspired civilization. Tattooing is a major part of their culture and integral to their magic system. Why would I make them generic Greeks #3524?
>>
>>46743171
Who?
>>
I made a setting with entirely non-humanoid races and societies/cultures with almost no resemblance to humans. Players hated it because they didn't understand anything about what was happening.
>>
>>46744612
>They are rarely used in modern D&D but were once one of the most popular races.
I have never heard of a Chelovek. They have no results o google. Please direct me towards any documentation of their existence.
>>
>>46744617
Non-magical force fields, for one, and the hardlight constructs that inevitably result.
On the downide, their understanding of magic is downright pitiful, due to the fact that it interacts with the force fields in weird ways and said fields are super goddamned important to their society.
The closest things that they have are clerics and warlocks. The first are basically exclusive to hospitals and temples, and the second are shunned like the masters they serve. Being a warlock or practicing magic without a license are good ways to get yourself hardlight-shanked on the spot by police, who are trained to kill MUs on sight.
It's basically psionics versus magic.
>>
>>46744898
Try translating it from Russian.
>>
>>46741949
Kek
>>
>>46744935
Doesn't work like that. You have to use Russian Characters, not the phonetic English translation.

Try Чeлoвeк
>>
>>46744935
You cheeky fuck.
>>
>>46745043
Just putting in "chelovek" in english script gives me plenty of results. This anon has shit google.
>>
File: Turns out its Man.jpg (32 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
Turns out its Man.jpg
32 KB, 720x576
>>46744935
>>
>>46745107
True enough I suppose.
>>
a race of short guys that walk backwards and can only exhale
>>
>>46745269
>can only exhale

Some kind of wind elemental?
>>
Amphibious cephalopod shapeshifters
>>
From a Scifi setting that ny group never able to lift from the ground due to conflicting time issues
>Anime inspired humanoid
They had perchant to drive robots and other mechanical engineering stuff. Yet those machine mostly fights in melee combat
>Superhero humanoid
Cape wearing, powerful, and able to leap at high distance, this group usually had some mutation enabling them to perform bizarre feats. Surprisingly, some of the briliant thinkers in the galaxy came from this race
>European Comic Humanoid
Shaped like cartoonish humans, they are explorers, and natural mcgyvers. Sadly they had bad sense of humor
>manhwa inspired human
Offshot from the anime people. They are bureucrats and other stealthy occupations
>cavepainting stick people
Ancient being already trancended into another realm. Their agents, the Hieroglyph men and Tribal Paintingmen are waging a cold war into deciding who shall trancended next, using lesset humanoid race as pawns, since battle from these semi-trancended beings are harmful to existence itself
>Human, Hyooman, Humahns
Very humanlike, only differing in height and culture. Human are us, Humahns are "magical". While Hyoomans are already spacefaring. I created them so "Human" charactets can have diffent tech advancement without ruining the setting.

I also had ideas about Tumblr Humanoid and loli/cute super deformed Humanoid, considering that those drawing styles are popular as well, but I think they just gonna bring more trouble to the table
>>
Race of long lived Dolphin people who existed in the world before the coming of the gods and the introduction of magic. Their society formed slowly, over millions of years, through genetic manipulation of the animals around them. They reached Modern day levels of technology and were starting to set up a land empire when the elven civilizations first started taking to the seas. once elves reached their golden age they destroyed all of the land outposts and turned their attentions to the underwater cities, wiping out 95% of the dolphin people in a genocidal war for the seas. While the elves won, they were left so weakened that the dwarfs and humans expanded into their former inland territories. The dolphin people never forgot, and they certainly never forgave. While little more than a myth, tales of strange seas creatures that match their description are beginning to pop up all over the world. while humans and dwarfs laugh at such tales, the elves know the true implications. If the dolphin people managed to hide for 6000 years, who knows how much of their original strength they have built back up? All signs point to an apocalyptic invasion of the surface world, one that will see the elves eradicated from the world once and for all.
>>
>>46745929
This is just reverse elfwank
Like a hatefuck
>>
Peclin - amphibious goblins who have a culture of sin and assholery. each is born under the sign of one of the seven deadly sins, giving them a preferred sin to commit (and abilities/skill bonuses)

Geelo - Lizards who can't get enough of the heat. Their biochemistry allows them to survive temperatures above the boiling point. they spend nights mining for reflective gems to build houses out of in the desert just to give them an even hotter place to sleep during the day.

Mercor - Also known as business trolls. Fat, ugly creatures with little to offer themselves. But they're highly charismatic and always trying to buy things cheap and sell them in the next town they come to. Considering if I should keep letting players play as the mercor, since they tend to get really involved with business plans and interparty deals that detracts from the actual campaign.

I can post more if you guys are interested.
>>
>>46743527
>Ah, the terrible Slow Loris Horde
>Coming to rape your fields, salt your houses and burn your women
>Mounted on gigantic war-snails
>They'll come, bringing doom to the steppes
>Eventually
>>
File: sloth warrior.png (5 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
sloth warrior.png
5 MB, 2592x1936
We got giant sloths
>>
Why would you even use core races? that shit is SO tired by now.
>>
>>46746028
You haven't seen true elf hate. You will know it in your heart once you've read a bad fantasy novel that uses the unholy and enraging combo of making elves the author's soapbox mouthpiece and the Can't Argue with Elves trope.
>>
>>46743906
>they could lose a limb and have it back in a week or so
Do their suits have capability to jettison a limb as an antimatter missile/bomb?
>>
>>46742885
big ass self worshiping Nazi lizards
>>
The humans in my setting aren't actually humans
>>
>>46746591
How so?
>>
>>46741555
I took inspiration from the Scythian myths of the Arimaspi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arimaspi

Although I simply named them cyclops, since I had no other one-eyed monsters going on and could use the name recognition, threw on some goat-like features, put them in a hilly/mountainous region, and gave them creation myths inspired by the Greek cyclops - craftsmen of the gods etc.

...And then they put a cyclopean goat-monster named Arimaspi in My Little Pony, so now everyone is going to think I cribbed it from there. Fuck my life.
>>
>>46742764
Wouldn't that involve distinguishing yourself in battle and then dying in battle? Sounds like standard stuff for an adventurer.
>>
>>46744612
Ah! I remember this from college. Good one.
>>
>>46746607
Space alien did a flyby of early Earth and saw neanderthal-era hominids, later created a prototype humanoid which was used as a blueprint for the "humans" that another guy made
Needless to say a few things got lost in translation.
>>
File: 1457339462044.jpg (10 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
1457339462044.jpg
10 KB, 255x200
>>46746552
>>
We are Emberkin.

Born, whispered forth, from dragons upon ancient entail, seeking servitors. We are born in sets of 8-12, inside of a hive mind. Standing about 4 foot tall and mostly comprised of fire, charcoal, and char, we glide along, bipedal. Not actually having solid mass, our bodies of ember float slightly off the ground. We serve mostly as keepers of the eggs. We sustain their warmth and defend them from predators unworthy of facing our lords. Though physically weak, we can project various forms of flame in strikes or fireballs. If the egg hatches we are released from servitude to wander as we please until we grow unkindled. Average lifetimes are 10-20 years.
>>
File: Ohen sfw.jpg (4 MB, 3037x1561) Image search: [Google]
Ohen sfw.jpg
4 MB, 3037x1561
>>
File: Suros sfw.jpg (4 MB, 2850x1782) Image search: [Google]
Suros sfw.jpg
4 MB, 2850x1782
>>46747172
>>
File: Size Chart.png (2 MB, 3500x873) Image search: [Google]
Size Chart.png
2 MB, 3500x873
>>46747181
The reference sheet for the earth race hasn't been finished yet, but their designs are included on the height chart.
>>
I have no elves, dwarves, orcs, or humans. Only Mongols. You're not Mongol? You're not a person, get out.

There's also only one species. Also called Mongol. It'd be 2030AD, but Mongols.
>>
>>46744079
>Golden Sun

My nigga.
>>
File: A weekynd at St. Bernards.jpg (62 KB, 395x363) Image search: [Google]
A weekynd at St. Bernards.jpg
62 KB, 395x363
No setting to speak of, but I have kind of a concept:

Klaymen

An early attempt at humanity by the gods. Still given sparks of life, but not at the right spiritual frequency to make use of magics of any sort, though their earthen nature makes them highly resilient to physical stress. Basically intelligent, highly curious, humanoid looking earth-elementals.
>>
>>46746404
I like using stereotypical races with twists.

In my donutsteel setting, Elves are universally psionic species who reincarnate instead of being biologically immortal.
Dwarves are semi-biological, semi-elemental beings with stonelike flesh and elemental core inside.
Humans are one of three races descended from ancient trolls and the one that inherited their magic, both earth-shattering elemental spells and more subtle and mysterious Tradition (to simplify, it's power of superstition and age - something with rich history just works -better- - a hammer used by generations of backsmiths creates things much more effective and durable, a sword that saw thousands battles gives supernatural strength to its wielder, etc.)
My goblins are fairly stereotypical, though - they're the second race descended from trolls and the one that inherited their regeneration, making the world forever worse for anyone involved. They're harder to eradicate than cockroaches, they will heal any wound unless burnt to cinders or crushed into a pulp, and they will overrun anything if left unchecked.
>>
>>46741555
The akematu.
Almost identical to humans other than a few physiological and societal differences, caused by their isolation in the colder northern climate.
>hair/fur
Akematu grow facial and body hair much faster and thicker than humans
>language
The climate is too cold for the akematu to have properly functioning tongues, so they instead communicate mostly with hand gestures and body language
>cities/towns
Unlike human settlements which are built above ground so that their crops can get sunlight, the akematu build their cities in huge caverns inside mountains, protecting from most of the cold wind and keeping snow outside
>diet
Additionally, because they have no crops to grow, the akematu have developed an almost entirely carnivorous diet
>>
My races from my working title mythica:

Rulains: Elf like people who live a few hundred years. And are basically ruled by a magical entity created by their ancestors to protect their race called The Warden from an ancient cataclysm.. Think good skynet made out of magic and working out of a series of shrines and temples all over the land. Most day to day activities are run by local councils usually lead by a Priest-Elector, someone chosen to communicate with The Warden when the council needs to talk to him.

The Dom were originally Rulains but living in an icy cold mountain range but use forbidden sorceries to adapt to the same cataclysm. They still have the knife ears, but they have more of an exoskeleton than skin that is often pitch black and look pretty much nothing like a rulain. They use dark sorceries to transform slaves into warbeasts and are almost culturally obsessed with Colosseum death matches and blood sports.

The War Giants are large humanoids often in the 12-17ft range. They were made by another race entirely and that race is now thought to be extinct. War Giants are made out of giant tower like structures called War Homes and each War Home is now its own separate society of War Giants that are magically created there. There is one War Home in the middle of human lands that is relatively peaceful and an ally to humans. There is a ruined War Home past human borders that basically releases roving armies every so often, but its too far and dangerous for anyone to do anything about yet. There is also an submerged tower that has amphibious adapted war giants, but outside of attacking ships and coastal cities no one knows much about them.

They are plenty of other races, but I felt like showcasing those,
>>
File: klayman.jpg (63 KB, 1280x792) Image search: [Google]
klayman.jpg
63 KB, 1280x792
>>46747615
>>
>>46741949
Underrated post
>>
>>46743483
Thanks for taking the time to post
>>
>>46743686
> terrified of darkness
> night once every century
So they are basically the guys from Isaac Asimov's Nightfall?
>>
>>46743502
>Mongoose
>Scene

Nigga, that sounds good to me
>>
>>46747615
>sefboard.jpg
>>
File: Kek.png (533 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
Kek.png
533 KB, 459x612
>>46741949
>>
>>46750604
I'm really doubting that the others are very good when two of what you apparently considered the best are just elves and dark elves.
>>
>>46741555
How long do people have to play the generic races before they get bored and want originals?
>>
File: cat browsing.gif (161 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
cat browsing.gif
161 KB, 320x240
Well over there are the catgirls, and those the wolfgirls they don't get along. These are the mysterious dragongirls, here and the plentiful bunnygirls, there are some foxgirls hiding somewhere. Most importantly though none are furry or scalie.
>>
>>46746473
Tolkien more or less did the soapbox part though, Elves and Ents are huge on nature for obvious reasons while Saruman is obviously meant to represent a industrialist with his steampunk shit

They never go on rants or anything though
>>
I have humans, sapient octopi and sapient utahraptors

Then again that's a mostly modest region, there might be more in the whole planet but I cbf to deal with that right now
>>
>What about your original races? You have those, right /tg/?
What the everloving fuck would I ever need those for?
>>
>>46754591
The whole series is a rant.
>>
>>46755346
I thought it was supposed to be a nod to fantasy epics past that ended up becoming the standard for the genre.
>>
>>46741555
I have spooky spider-people with ashen grey skin, eight pupils in their two eyes and the ability to grow out up to four extra limbs of any combination whenever they want to. They're naturally predisposed towards stealth due to being rather agile, limber, light and having a weak natural psychic field that subtly invades the minds of those around them, making people unconsciously ignore their strange appearances and even have a hard time remembering that they ever saw them in the first place. There's a sub-species of said race, members of which lacks the psychic memoryfuck field, but are instead capable of partially shape-shifting into other people if they have a chunk of their skin.
>>
>>46755568
It is, but he couldn't contain himself, so it's also a heavy handed anti-industrialist message.
>>
>>46741555
Warrior-birds called Ertu. They're large-ish, carnivorous, and vaguely eagle-like with reptilian tails that end in blades. They also have a row of spines growing out of their... spines. Their behavior is largely klingon, looking for any excuse to fight, and their religion is pretty similar to Norse mythology. There's no record of an Ertu dying of old age.

They live in tribes and carve their homes in the sides of mountains, where the higher-ups are literally higher up.
>>
>>46747853
Same, though I'm conflicted over whether that's a good thing. I generally feel like it gives new players at least a little grounding in the world. I've got
>elves that were originally the fair folks playthings. Got stranded after a failed invasion of mundane reality, and had to adapt into 'real' people. Tend to behave according to certain pre set roles and stock personas due to their origins as basically living toys/puppets. Use glamours to hide the fact that they're uncanny valley dolls.

>Dwarves seem more or less the same, but are actually just the artificially made 'face' of the real dwarven race, who are sort of advanced golems that keep the world running

>Impish magical trickster goblins that live in cracks in the world, love to make deals and contracts, and use stolen fairy magic to make the more common, dumb goblins out of dirt and trash

>Porcine orcs who are the oldest race and basically the prototype for the other sentient humanoids barring elves. Are the best at spirit magic because they're had a lot of time to make pacts. Live in super tight small communities and believe in sharing everything with their clan, to the point that some can basically fight forever by equally distributing wounds
>>
>>46741555
Crab people I tried to pattern off the British Empire. They control the seas.
>>
>>46752274
If doing anything with the classics is a negative in your opinion then I doubt your opinion will change much over the others thats true enough. The weirdest race is a forest of animal-fungal creatures but you could easily reduce them to a zerg or nid rippoff I suppose.
>>
>>46754578
I want to play in your setting.
>>
>>46754548
It goes in cycles. Depending on your group you either get sick of the standard races after many games or you get sick of munchkins and furries making half/quarter something monstrosities or obscure splat races. The grass is greener on the other side so you join many games on the other side until you get sick of that and want something original/standard again.
>>
>>46741555
Had an idea for a setting with a lot of fantasy races, though Tolkien races will be pretty much non-existent.

TLDR: Purgatory is where various mythological creatures are sent when the patron deities who created them are defeated in Holy Wars.

Varying flavors of monstrous creatures and monster-girls, like Succbus, Angels, Fairies, Oni, with some distinctions between sub-species. For example:
---Nekomata: Catfolk (Domestic) Rooted in the stories of witches and their familiars, Nekomata are humanoid with tails and cat ears, and tend to be mischievous, curious and playful.
---Rakshasa: Catfolk (Wild) varying flavors of feral cats turned into elite warriors, looking like very robust humans with thin layers of fur across their bodies and the heads of tigers/lions/panthers rather than 'just a human face with cat ears'.

It's actually fun because I'm coming up with all sorts of wiggedy cultural shit regarding the setting and the races. For example, Angel encompasses ALL different types, and their society revolves around servitude to worthy leaders. You don't ask to have an angel work for you, you will have angels show up on your doorstep if you become known as a competent ruler or leader or general. The better you are, the more terrirtory you control = the more angels who will serve you, and the higher orders will follow you. The lowest order are the "Watchers", who appear to be beautiful human women (of varying races/ethnicities) with wings, and have a telepathic link to all angels. What one sees and hears, all angels will know. In this way, they are simultaneously scouts/messengers and an effective way to keep an eye on supposedly "Worthy Leaders" and make sure they're skills are up to snuff.
>>
>>46741555
At present, the closest description I can give is sapient marine iguanas who live in the "Nothing Good Grows Here" salt swamp and as a result pursue a heavily-carnivorous diet, despite not being obligate carnivores.

Further details include scale armor made over the span of years from crab shells, the way they 'train' a particularly intelligent breed of river turtle to herd catfish for them, and their totemic worship of crocodiles.

I don't even have a name for these guys but I already have all of this. Is that bad?
>>
>>46756512

One bit I'm playing around with:

A: Creatures that are a random mish-mash of limbs and organs are "Chimeras" and they are NOT certified species. Rather, they are what happens when a God get's drunk and tries to make a new race. Shit goes bad really quickly. (Yes, the Greek Chimera was a one-time accident)

B: Not all Deific figures are actually Gods. Odin was a god, but "Thor" refers to a race of hammer-wielding, lightning throwing warriors who Odin made to combat Trolls, Ice Giants and Fire Giants, made by the gods Surtr and Ymir. Ditto for "Vulcan/Hephaestus", being giant craftsmen/blacksmiths.

C: The overall outline for the setting is "Our world got hit with a hard Reboot that deleted 99% of the human race and dropped all those banished 'Demons' onto earth. What do?"

Anything else, I'll throw up if peoples curiosity is piqued.
Magical realm for angels: being worthy enough to have an Angel serve you means you can have sex with them. However, only the Watchers have reproductive organs, and they only way angels can reproduce is by having sex with the leaders they serve, though their laws mean that after one night of passion, they leave and are forbidden from seeing the father of their child, whether or not they successfully conceived.

As Angels are the ultimate "Servants", it would be a conflict of interest if a one was made the heir to a certain realm/territory.
>>
>>46756634
There's a reason working titles exist in every medium and that's because it's not really super important beyond grabbing someone's initial attention.
>>
>>46741555
>Pigfolk are the humble farm race of the world. Appearance wise, their humans with very pink skin and pig heads. None of them ever form any kingdoms, just small villages that band together should the time come.
>Treefolk form primitive tribes in the forests, and are human-sized and shaped sentient trees. They are very hostile to outsiders and prove a major obstacle to connecting trade routes.
>Indigo's live in the frigid north, under the powerful Azul Kingdom. They are very tall, have light blue skin, white hair, and long noses. They are a stern race, with very little interest in other races luxury resources
>Birdmen are savage beastlike men, living in the floating islands of the world. They appear as Gorillas with the heads of parrots, with wings on their backs. They lack the mental capacity to communicate with other races.
>>
I have an issue where I have too many possible races all surviving in this last world in the multiverse, composed of all other surviving worlds. It's weird pulpy post-apocalyptic fantasy. Each race is associated with one of 6 elements, and each survived the collapse of their own world in a certain way. This leaves 4-5 races per element, approx 30 so far, some unplayable.
>>
>>46756849
>Indigo's live in the frigid north
Indigo's what?
Also, do you know that there are some people out there who know that azul and indigo just means blue and that it won't sound a bit fantastic or exotic to them?
>>
File: the_EDGE_ow.jpg (867 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
the_EDGE_ow.jpg
867 KB, 1280x1024
>>46757385
reminds me of this
>>
made quite a few homebrews for a space setting that got poorly used by a friend. set out to make a setting where humans were the big scarys of the space race despite being more primative at first contact, they more than made up for it with wreckless inovation and the mindset of waging total war. friend shat all over this when he ran in the setting but whatever, on to races.

the Pax.
hailing from a very larger terrestrial moon orbiting a gas giant (think pandora from avatar, i sure did) the pax evolved as a synthesis of plant and animal to form something much like a fungus that produces no spores. each one is created by a donation of genetic material from the non paxian parent, gestated within the pax to knit animal with the fungal pax on a genetic level, creating an offspring that looks much like the "father" species but with luminous dots and patterns across its skin (again, avatar influence) while one mind think them primitive they in face bear the genetic memory of all who have come before them and may delve into it through meditation and contemplation. they are peerless geneticists and craft many of the galexys best biorganic implants. they withdrew from the planet of their birth and live above in crafted biosphears so they don't destroy the mother "earth" which they adore. they are logical and practical but they still feel emotion, providing the parrent species did. they are the most physically diverse species in the known galexy, counting nearly every other species among their number.
>>
>>46757541
Never read it.
>>
File: reallyhard.jpg (33 KB, 200x213) Image search: [Google]
reallyhard.jpg
33 KB, 200x213
>>46757649
holy fuck, that was like reading some fine Vogon poetry
>>
>>46757706
Too bad. The setting has
>no humans (only pointy-eared humans called fourthlings)
>about four dozen species of goblins
>all kinds of weird trolls
>Waifs which can hear so well that they can read minds
>troggs
>giants
>dwarves
>a metric fuckton of wild animals
>most of which are viscious predators
>sentient psychic reincarnated birds
>shapeshifting demons
>cosmic horrors from beyond the Edge
>and a few hundred things I forgot
>>
>>46757649
the Jadrin
hailing from a small terastreal moon (names Arona) orbiting a small gas giant. the giant has many moons whos gravitational pulls tug and kneed arona's crust, making her very volcanically active. so it comes as no supprise that the atmosphere is highly toxic and lie here is very hearty. the jadrin are about 7-8 foot tall vaguely jackal like humanoids with long slender limbs and a very long tail that they use for balance while running. they evolved as persuit predators that use their natural biotics (mass effect style) to even the odds against much larger predators or prey. they live in loose groups, coming together to hunt and share a kill before going about their own business much like coyotes do irl. they communicate via a guttural language that sounds like and angry dog speaking German that relys extensively on body language for its inflection, making it difficult for jadrin to read other species and leading to them being very literal when speeking "common". alternatively they can use their telepathy but few outsiders like the idea of the galleys premier psychic in their brains. though somewhat solitary and territorial by nature they gradually built a great civilization based on mutual self interest and personal freedom. by first contact with the other alien races they had seen no less than 100 bloody revolutions to depose those who abused their position of power. first contact was actually peaceful, their telepathy allowing them to communicate meaning and intent even though no common language existed between the two races. they quickly rose through the ranks in the galactic Coalition due to their tireless drive and willingness to go many extra miles to see a task to its completion. in the great war against the humans the saw much action as shock troops or fire support, though use of their biotics tended to exhaust them to quickly to assume a vanguard roll. resentment lingers in the minds of many jadrin following the conflict.
>>
>>46757731
yeah... sorry. i had cleaned up bios of all these but it was lost when my old comp died. going from memory so it comes out kinda stream of consciousness.
>>
File: napoleon.png (332 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
napoleon.png
332 KB, 512x384
>>46756849
>Pigfolk are the humble farm race of the world.
oh, just give them time.
>>
>>46758078
My nigga!
>>
>>46741555
They're like Anemones but psychic. I call them Cthulorians. Don't copy.
>>
File: kekclip.jpg (19 KB, 395x311) Image search: [Google]
kekclip.jpg
19 KB, 395x311
>>46741949
>>
>>46743462
Well, you could make them distinct by letting them live as quadruple beeing incapable of walking longer distances on two legs, limiting the reach of their second pair of arms and giving you the possibility of developing unique architecture with flat entrances, low desks and chaiselounge-/diwan-style chairs.
They'd probably be pretty adept at making glass and building because of their natural surroundings and their gecko-like ability to climb walls.
>>
>>46741555
Double Elves, or Elvves.

Elves for Elves. They make Elves look like Elfs. They're 8ft tall stick people with literal blades for ears, born sorcerers as a racial trait, can see infrared and sonar, blessed by Gods you've not even heard of and are actually dating trees instead of just frolicking among them.

They live on the moon and are constantly leaving for better and better lands. They move faster than light, so to less refined eyes an Elvve appears to be a series of still images. They're completely invisible to humans, who they regard as a kind of smelly vegetable.
>>
Aztec obsidian golems!

Moon Elves!

Suave Catfolk!

Germanic Dragonborn!
>>
I have a sci-fi setting with a race of Honour bound warrior Lizardmen who occupy the territory above, to their left is an empire of mushroom men allied with us.
Beyond them are the terrifying spindly insect aliens and below us were a race of religiously xenophobic owlmen but we conquered them, causing the next few races below them to form an alliance against us.
Were currently exploring the outer spiral arm of our galaxy and have found Penguin People, and a race of post-singularity aliens who are avowed to stop lesser races from developing Artificial Intelligences.

PC's are all hideous fungus men who just want to befriend sentient life.
The winner is the first person to accrue 7 friends.
>>
>>46741555
...Original races? Y-yeah, I got those, I got, um...

>Humans
>Nine-inch-tall super-jumping gnomes
>Ferengi-style mercenary 'walking-skeleton-starved-hairless-catfolk' kobolds
>Omnicidal sociopathic ex-Fae-Toy wood elves

Umm...

>Dwarves who calcify to stone as they age
>Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders
>Magic Shamantic Totemic Humans in Masks
>Not!Warforged self-powered golems run by 'trapped' human(/oid) souls

...Umm...

>'Half-Shifters' made by Evil Wizard as super-soldier army
>Bugbear-style super-serious warrior gnolls with 'Laughing Curse'
>Giant, blue-skinned, lion-tailed, horned, Scandinavian-style trüls

...Hang on, I'm sure there's something here...
>>
An idea I'd been rolling around is a world where monstrous races killed off all the humans, elves, dwarves, etc thousands of years ago, took over the surface... and then sort of settled down. Without any enemies to fight, instead of turning on each other, they became pacified, and their descendants calmer and more 'domesticated'.

Basically, I want minotaurs with Holstein patterns and orcs with curly tails, but I don't know where to go beyond that. Harpies with chicken combs? Goldsahuagin? Barn Owlbears?
>>
>>46744437
>I set out to specifically not use generic fantasy races.
>A race of humanoid dragons
m8
>>
File: ee5.jpg (94 KB, 776x803) Image search: [Google]
ee5.jpg
94 KB, 776x803
>>46741555
I kind of want to homebrew my own spider race. Not Driders though.
>>
My setting has humans, dani, and conil
Humans are like humans
Others 2 are basically humans with a curse.
If a dani mate with a human or dani, no child will happen EVER, if a dani mate with a conil, a dani children will be born (well, if some children is born)
Conil mating with conil or humans produce conil, if they mate with dani it will produce a dani.
>>
>>46745269
Underrated post
>>
>>46760038
Is this some sort of fox chicken worm puzzle?
>>
>>46760038
So, basically
>Dani+Dani => No Babby
>Dani+Human => No Babby
>Dani+Conil => Dani Babby
>Conil+Coni => Conil Babby
>Conil+Human => Conil Babby
and I'd assume (but don't quote me)
>Human+Human => Human Babby
>>
>>46746276
9/11 post friend
>>
File: kojian ape men v3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
kojian ape men v3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46741555

Yep. These guys right here are always present in the settings my friends and I use for D&D. I just recently made stats for them in 5th edition. Their origin is covered in a little note on the last page.
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.