[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is suicide considered acceptable in immortal societies (e.g.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Is suicide considered acceptable in immortal societies (e.g. celestials, fiends, constructs, undead, certain depictions of faeries) for those who have grown weary of existence and have decided that it is their time to pass on?
>>
>>46726364
I imagine celestials and fiends would prefer you at least throw yourself violently at the armies of their opposite and do some good (or evil, I guess) in the process of being destroyed.
>>
>>46726364
To note, most low-level celestials and fiends generally end up getting reabsorbed into the plane eventually. You don't get to be immortal as an outsider of alignment planes if you don't get a constant stream of souls or equivalent matter.
>>
>>46726400
Never heard of this.
>>
>>46726364
Well, to pull an answer from my ass:
>Fiends and Celestials
Their minds work... differently. They never do tire of their existence despite being granted free-will by their maker because from the stand point of fiends and celestials, there's always work to be done. The closest they might do is at some point or another experience a bit of a mental break that leads to them needing to do... something, it depends on which one you're dealing with and they tend to end up reinventing themselves in a way, though their core person remains fairly intact. These spirit breaks are seen as important though as they are the times when an angel might fall or a demon might rise or stay the path.

>Undead
Quite the opposite, because they never are fully alive, they are always questing to continue their existence, always trying to regain that spark of soul they've lost in their transformation. Even the most benevolent vampire is scared of true death and deep down feels empty and sad at best. (Funfact: 999 out of 1000 liches end up regretting their choice to become a lich after becoming one!)

>Constructs
Usually no. The problem is not a construct desiring suicide, the issue comes from their 'program' decaying. Think Rampancy with Halo AIs, the longer a construct lasts without special maintenance, they grow increasingly insane. Some will commit suicide, though more an indirect result of trying something stupid, but others end up becoming basically killer, magical robots.

>Fae
Yes, but not because they grow wary but rather because it's something new and interesting to try. They tend to end up reincarnating as human children. Thus, the myths of changelings. (they don't steal your child, they ARE your child, they're just remembering they're fey and getting used to being human.)
>>
>>46726364
I imagine constructs would be fairly ok with this. I would imagine that a construct would be built for purpose. Maybe the constructs have a psychology like the Meseeks. They are technically immortal, yet driven to complete their goal and end their existance, with their purpose complete. They aren't born clawing for a meaningful existance, they know their purpose and seek to finish it at the greatest of speeds.

Same with undead maybe. Like the old ghost stories where the ghosts want to pass on but are incapable. The act of completing their task is like a welcomed suicide.
>>
>>46726364
Acceptable? Possibly. It depends on the size of the population and what kind of society it is.
>>
>>46726469
I always saw Lich as being failed attempts at immortality. Like they planned everything out and made the magic work but the complex web of spells backfired due to an oversight. They have the immortality, they can't die, but at the same time their body is still aging and falling apart.

All further experimentation on their part is an attempt to fix the negatives of their immortality while still greedily clinging to their prized immortality.
>>
>>46726469
>Rampancy with Halo AIs
Is that a self-deprecating humour on microsoft's part referring to the gradual cluttering of Windows and need to do a fresh install from time to time?
>>
>>46726469
Celestials and fiends have no maker.
>>
>>46726573
I don't think they're that self aware.
>>
>>46726364
Is suicide considered acceptable in any society?

Think long and hard about this, friend.
>>
>>46728202
Yes, it's usually frowned upon everywhere. Unless it's Glorious Nippon of course.
>>
I think this was touched upon in "A Princess of Mars". The green men of mars don't know how long their natural lifespans are because they either die in combat or float down a river and never return if they reach a certain age.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.