[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /tg/ have any interest in starting a VASSAL wargaming s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: No Retreat!Map.jpg (503 KB, 1600x936) Image search: [Google]
No Retreat!Map.jpg
503 KB, 1600x936
Does /tg/ have any interest in starting a VASSAL wargaming society?

It'd be nice to have some regulars to play the old hex classics with. It's a crying shame to see hundreds of old wargame designs hosted with almost no playerbase

>http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Modules

I'm personally looking for someone in a west-coast ish timezone to play ww2 operational stuff with, but I'm pretty flexible
>>
goddamn, the traffic log in this place is really killing small threads now, eh?
>>
Bump for interest
>>
Free bump because I'd rather this thread get exposure than 90% of the other shit up right now
>>
>>46720206
>>46720548
since you're bumping the thread, do either of you have interest in vassal gaming? Even a small group of people can get the ball rolling if we decided to try playing something semi-regularly

dunno if you have experience with operational wargaming, but we could start with avalon hill classic stuff
>>
>>46720829
I would participate if you don't mind beginners. I've been interested in these games, but they're pretty much ded.
>>
>>46721171
it's fine, I expect most people not to be familiar with them.

I've used Drive on Metz in the past as an introductory operational wargame, would you be interested in playing it?

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:The_Drive_on_Metz,_1944

rules are available here:
>https://victorypointgames.com/documents/DOM_rules.pdf

they're actually quite simple, but might require some coaching if you're not familiar with the genre. Essentially to attack you add up the strength of your force and compare it to the defender (it goes by a ratio basis, so a force 2x larger or 2:1 has a higher odds than 1:1 etc), and then roll for the combat results table. Normally the results are to retreat the units a hex or eliminate some of them. If they can't retreat because enemies block them (most games use a zone of control meaning every hex '1 around is also counted as controlled), the piece is also removed

terrain and victory points rules are pretty standard. We could make a thread and update it with turn-end .jpg's to stimulate some interest in the concept maybe
>>
>>46721446
When do we start?
>>
>>46721469
uh. What time is it for you and do you have 2 hours?
>>
>>46721643
It's 8:26 and yes.
Do you have a mic, or are just using text chat?
Did/do you expect me to read that terribly formatted rulebook? (I will if you think it's really necessary)
>>
>>46721756
you live in the same timezone, cool

you don't have to read the rules at all, I'm just giving them to you for reference. Also, a lot of old hex wargames are formatted like this, so it is a taste of what the genre is like unfortunately

First, you need to install VASSAL. Then you need to download the module (from the vassal page) and open it. We can start playing over the internet from there

I feel like text would probably be best initially, but if you want to go on mic I can use skype
>>
>>46721806
"Look for a game online"?
We'll just use text then.
>>
>>46721859
yep. I'm in the main lobby as whois.

in advance: germans, or americans? Germans are defending in this scenario
>>
>>46721963
I'll play germany
>>
File: metz 1.png (309 KB, 373x484) Image search: [Google]
metz 1.png
309 KB, 373x484
state of the game for any interested and a subtle bump
>>
File: metz2.png (312 KB, 373x484) Image search: [Google]
metz2.png
312 KB, 373x484
>>
>No 40k maps from Apocalypse or Planetary Annihilation
No thanks, this is just shitty old hex games.
>>
File: dystopian wars prussian.jpg (108 KB, 748x440) Image search: [Google]
dystopian wars prussian.jpg
108 KB, 748x440
>>
File: hex art.png (5 KB, 428x368) Image search: [Google]
hex art.png
5 KB, 428x368
Hey guys, just finished playing metz. So far, there's a group of 2 of us. I'm going to make a thread next Saturday hopefully recruiting for more.

I encourage anyone interested in playing one of the countless modules on VASSAL to find a rules pdf for a mapped module and post next week. Big or small, and I'd even be open for homebrew as long as we had a means to play it in some means or another

IF YOU WANT TO JOIN THE GROUP, YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT [email protected] in the interm.

I suppose we can hold an official naming ceremony and all those honorifics next thread as well, assuming there is some interest

>>46723559
40k is pretty shit as far as wargame rules go imo (^:
>>
File: 1448766539425.jpg (4 MB, 3000x2022) Image search: [Google]
1448766539425.jpg
4 MB, 3000x2022
this is a late night bump in case anyone would be interested in joining/starting up this kind of thing
>>
>>46725318
I will never fail to be amazed at just how staggeringly wasteful WWI was, despite being overall less deadly than WWII
>>
>>46719582
OP - you might be better off starting something along the lines of a Yahoo email group for folks interested, and then let people drop an email requesting games or letting others know when they're available to play. I like hex and chit classics, but I don't have a schedule where I could routinely play at a certain time.
>>
>>46728238
sure, I was just throwing ideas out to gain some momentum honestly

if you're interested in that idea as opposed to others, I hope you'll still consider mailing me >>46723911 in the hopes of this gaining clout
>>
>>46729933
have you asked /hwg/, OP?
>>46724411
>>
bump. I don't know what this is, but it looks interesting.
>>
Bump,
i have vassal but never used it.

Hope the thread lasts until i get off of work
>>
>>46735973
Post again when you can play and I'll participate.
I played a match with op last night.
>>
bump lads
but I do recommend /hwg/ and to consider zuntzu
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.