[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5e houserules
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: orc monk.jpg (145 KB, 628x1273) Image search: [Google]
orc monk.jpg
145 KB, 628x1273
So, 5e's classes are pretty close to balanced! Not perfect, of course. But it seems like the only ones that need real help are Monk and Ranger.

What's the simplest way to fix those guys? For example, would:

>Monk: increase die type of all weapons and unarmed attacks by one step

be enough?

Any other houserules people use? Personally, I don't use feats. That's not a houserule, really, they're supposed to be optional. But my players are new, and it seems like more fun for them to get a little better at lots of things will stat boosts than to become increasingly specialized. They're enjoying the roleplaying, anyway. The one guy who loves playing with rules has plenty to do messing with spell selection.
>>
The Monk is bad meme is shitty and you should feel shitty for believing it.
>I don't use feats
I give up actually. If you're a new GM fair enough, disable feats until you're comfortable, but giving players more options that are clearly optional and easy to get is not a bad thing, and at some point a player will want to use feats and will be annoyed it's not allowed.

Also at least go to the correct thread, how do you not know what generals are >>46689138
>>
Rebalancing classes isn't what I user house rules for. My house rules are for falling damage, xp distribution, and NPC morale. Character creation stuff is just restricted to things that make sense in-setting.
>>
Animal companions become NPCs. Falling is dangerous after certain conditions are met. No charisma skill is going to make up for you being on obvious jerk, unless that's a part of your tactic.
>I think sense motive/bluff are useful and also poorly-designed workarounds for people who can't act
>>
>>46698278
I don’t use feats, no one gives a fuck.
>>
>>46698971
Social skills may not be the best designed, but not everyone is great at acting. I think there should be some kind of work around for people that haven't had the time to develop those skills or just don't have the talent OOC. Plus it's difficult to properly portray and distinguish body language while sitting at a table or having conversations where the GM is playing multiple characters.

Still I do give advantage for those that try hard, even if they don't do the best job.
>>
>>46701761
No, I'm all for them. That's what I mean - they're useful, but they will always feel clunky. I think I have replied with "How?" in return to a player's stated action more than anything else. I don't mind if you want to lie, cheat, swindle, obfuscate, whatever. Just tell me HOW you are doing it, instead of telling me what skill.

Most players can describe an attack just find, but stall out on the speaking bit. Even if you tell me you are lying about a particular thing, it's more than I get as a GM when you just say, "I bluff the shopkeep!"
>>
>>46703184
You do ask your players how they are sneaking, how arcane lore works and how to skin a kill and harvest meat or how to tell which mushrooms are good and which are poisonous so that they have equal justification for their other skills, right?
>>
>>46697805
Rework healer's kits and the Healer feat so they require a roll with the Medicine skill.
As it stands, there are extremely few reasons to ever roll Medicine (all I can think of is GM fiat scenarios where you don't have the option to buy and carry a healer's kit), so either connect it to things that make sense or don't have a skill for it at all.
>But you can diagnose illnesses too!
And the rules don't say you have any idea how to treat illnesses without magic, you just know what they are.
>>
>>46697805
>5e's classes are pretty close to balanced!
Op, I like your image, so I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt.
The only way they are balanced is across a progressively longer (as they level) adventuring day with few situations other than combat.
Thus I assume you mean they are balanced in combat, with only scripted options for rests which you judiciously allow to ensure an absence of Nova bursts.
In that case, the simple fix to the Monk is a damage boost and the simple fix to the Ranger is to make the Hunter Mark spell a level 1 class feature that refreshes when the mark is killed or with a short rest.
>>
>>46697805
>Any other houserules people use?

1) Everyone has the Ritual Caster feat for free at 1st level.

When Rituals were introduced in d20 Modern and then ported into 3rd Edition's Unearthed Arcana, the goal behind them was to give spell-like options to non-casters. I liked that a lot, so we run with them as being open to anyone who can learn them.

2) ANYONE can use a spell scroll. But if they're not a member of the class that wrote the scroll, they must succeed on an Intelligence check or roll on the Scroll Mishaps table.
3) The spells in a wizard's spellbook can be used like scrolls. Doing this consumes the spells from the spellbook, just like with scrolls.

The second and third rule were added because a classic fantasy trope is some dumb idiot getting a hold of a wizard's spellbook and causing trouble; this can't happen in standard D&D, and that's no fun. The ability for a wizard to use his spellbook as a book full of scrolls slightly increases the class' power, but the fact that those spells are then erased from his book once cast - and thereby must be added in again - makes up for things more than adequately.
>>
Well, to fix monk you just reintroduce 3.5s fluid action economy
>>
File: The Complete Monk.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Complete Monk.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46697805
This is what I use
>>
File: The Complete Ranger.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Complete Ranger.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46697805
>>46704551
And this.
>>
>>46698868
What fall dmg house rule do you use?
>>
>>46705139
Good old-fashioned "Gygaxian" falling damage. First 10' is 1d6 damage. Second 10' is 2d6 damage. Plus the initial 1d6 for the first 10'. At 30' it's a total of 6d6, at 40' it's 10d6, and so on. It encourages players to have their characters act appropriately cautious near what should be perilous cliffs and such, even at moderately high levels.

It's a rule that really only works if you don't have grappling flying moon druids running rampant, which happily isn't a problem in my group.
>>
>>46704563
Where can I find these?
>>
>>46697805
No 5e in my house
Is best house rule
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.