[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to cure someone of being a bad sport? Me, I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: tableflip.jpg (287 KB, 1060x958) Image search: [Google]
tableflip.jpg
287 KB, 1060x958
Is it possible to cure someone of being a bad sport?

Me, I'm a bad sport and I hate it, no matter what I do I always go into full sulk mode.

I recite a "it's only a game, have fun" in my head, I even recite "It doesn't matter, win or lose it doesn't matter"

once upon a time, winning or losing didn't matter, how does one get back there?
>>
>>46695296
Have someone taze you if you go into sulk mode. You'll learn.
>>
>>46695296
Time. When the weight of winning or losing is secondary to just getting to do stuff that involved your hobby, it's easer to shrug off a loss.
>>
>>46695355
This, honestly. I used to not want to play games I was bad at because I thought I looked stupid or weak or whatever when I lost. It's why I never really played 40k or Warmachine that much because all of my friends were much better at that kind of game than I was so I quit. Eventually I grew out of it and now I don't really care as much when I lose a game because I'm hanging out with my friends and we're all having a good time and that's what's important.
>>
File: Hunter 20.jpg (156 KB, 1800x1116) Image search: [Google]
Hunter 20.jpg
156 KB, 1800x1116
>>46695296
>Is it possible to cure someone of being a bad sport?
Yeah, when they're a kid. If you're a bad sport it's because your parents fucked up. Teaching your kid to lose and not be a bitch or get all depressed about it is one of those tremendously important responsibilities that a lot of parents fail at. Like teaching them proper hygiene, or how to be polite to other people, or how to deal with the police.

Now that you're older, you'll just have to suck it up I guess. Try desensitizing yourself to it by playing games you know you'll lose over and over. Also try to do it without anyone around, so there's no social pressure to win, like just playing over the internet. If you're going to get through this life without giving yourself a stress heart attack, you'll have to learn to enjoy losing. Nothing else to be done.
>>
>>46695536

I started playing when I was a kid, I lost all the time, i never gave a shit, I was a young kid in a store of young adults and they never pulled their punches, but it helped me get better and in fact I used to walk all over kids my own age who played as they wouldnt play the adults.

Something happened though, I began to grind my teeth when I rolled poorly, get really cheesed off If my opponent rolled lucky again and again.

I'd love to be able to pin point the first time I got really pissed off when I lost but it can't have been until my mid twenties.

maybe I should just meditate and try not to get so mad in day to day life, maybe that'll help
>>
>>46695627
I think I understand what the issue is. In playing with the adults and getting better, you've kind of set this expectation for yourself to be good because you walked all over the other kids playing in the LGS. You've assigned yourself a skill level and expect to perform a certain way and when that expectation isn't met you start to get frustrated. I'm kind of the same way, I tilted out of a game of War last night even though there is literally no skill involved in that game at all.
>>
File: Eclipse.jpg (85 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse.jpg
85 KB, 250x250
>>46695296
>once upon a time, winning or losing didn't matter

Confirmed for millennial.

In clinical terms entitled, malignant narcissists like yourself have traded their self-awareness for self-esteem.

It's difficult for sociopaths to accept the truth that they're one of six billion nobodies, so no one else will ever care whether they win or lose some stupid game, because this conflicts PAINFULLY with their view that the universe revolves around them, so everyone else SHOULD care! tl;dr:

No one cares whether you live or die, so try to imagine how much LESS people care whether you're good at checkers.

Protip: Try spending an entire day without electronic devices strobing media-sponsored behavioural cues directly into your optic nerves.
>>
>>46696554
>clinical terms means big words and insults
>a sore loser is the same as a sociopath (which in and of itself isn't even a clinical term)
>the media is poisoning young millennial minds
I don't know who you are but you should kill yourself
>>
>>46696554
Is self hate some sort of in thing? The primary group on 4chan is millennials. If you think shitting on each other is going to impress boomers, you are nuts. You can't impress genXers, we don't care one way or the other.
>>
>>46696554
>This guy spilling his red pills all over the place
I think you've got your fedora on too tight there, pal
>>
Nope. Winning is the fun part so if someone gets mad that they can't have fun then they are justified.
>>
>>46695296
If your gonna loose. Loose spectacularly. He that bamf who died with a bottle in one hand and someone else's middle finger in the other
>>
>>46695296
Just remember it's not your opponent's fault that you suck. The only person you should be angry with is yourself.
>>
>>46696998
That's how depression starts. First you stop blaming everyone else and start blaming yourself for what you did. Then you start blaming yourself for what other people do to you. Then you start blaming yourself for things that are uncontrollable and in no way your fault.
>>
>>46695296
So you're the kind of guy that has fun by winning, and that's okay. You should try to shift your focus towards explaining why you didn't win instead of how much it sucks not to win. Analyse your loss and be better for it.
>>
>>46695536
>or how to deal with the police
you mean it's common practice for parents to NOT tell their kids to never talk to the police? white people should listen to the blacks for once.
>>
>>46697361
No, the general consensus among whites is "Only interact with the police if you are going to lose something incredibly important (like your life) and have no way to stop the situation by yourself."
>>
>>46697486
>>46697361
Jesus, where the hell do you people live? Cops are people, not inherently evil assholes.
>>
>>46697486
Maybe I'm biased because my dad is a cop, but aren't you supposed to contact the police whenever something goes wrong that isn't fixed by talking?
>>
>>46697486
>No, the general consensus among whites is "Only interact with the police if you are going to lose something incredibly important (like your life) and have no way to stop the situation by yourself."
so you're talking about when to call the police rather than how to deal with them when they come to you.

you're wrong. whites call the cops all the time.
>>
>>46697540
>where the hell do you people live?
usa

>cops are not inherently evil
i'd rather not risk it.
>>
File: me on middle.gif (646 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
me on middle.gif
646 KB, 240x180
>>46696554
>>
>>46697540
I know what you mean. Most of the cops I've met have been incredibly down to earth people who usually let me get out of whatever infraction I should be getting tagged with, and then there are people who act like cops are going to gun you down for spitting gum on the ground.
>>
>>46697540

Cops've shot and killed at least 3 innocent people in cases of mistaken identity in my state in the last 6 months. I'd rather not risk it.

Before you ask, yes, I am Florida Man.
>>
>>46699168
To be fair a woman in St. Cloud shot her own daughter because she thought she was an intruder. Florida is apparently just rife with retards and rifles.
>>
>>46695355
Pretty much this. Over time you'll learn to value the time you spend with people and your hobby more than wins or losses. I honestly suck at MTG but I enjoy being able to go to my friends' places and crack open a beer while while playing cards and making stupid jokes. Winning and losing is secondary to just building decks and having fun.
>>
>>46696554

>Calls someone a sociopath, and in the same breath tells him that nobody cares if you live or die.

Anon.Exe has encountered an illegal error and must shut down. Click yes to send this crash information to Microsoft support.
>>
>>46699245
Florida: Darwin award winner since 1845
>>
>>46697361
Yeah, you should never volunteer much information to the police unless you've been the victim of a crime. But I meant things like, keep your hands visible and still, make eye contact, stay polite and respectful even if they are being a dick, try to ask them a question because it shifts them from their suspicious mode to their helpful mode. Do not advance toward them or walk away from them while they are looking or speaking at you. You know, the stuff that will keep you from being shot.
>>
>>46697542
>aren't you supposed to contact the police whenever something goes wrong that isn't fixed by talking?

No, Ryan.
>>
>>46699328
Ever heard of Vernon, Florida?

I think its something in the water.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.