[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do low infant mortality rates kill your immersion in pre-modern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1412974688906.png (108 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
1412974688906.png
108 KB, 400x381
Do low infant mortality rates kill your immersion in pre-modern settings?
>>
>>46663426
No more than potatoes.
>>
>>46663426
Who cares, I'm not running an ERP so the players in my game aren't spending a whole lot of time being pregnant or worrying about that sort of thing.
>>
>>46663426
usually clerics are a thing.

Unless you're playing a realistic pre-modern setting with no fantasy, in which case surely the dm would have done his homework?
>>
>>46663426
>caring about mortality rates
>in a setting with healing magic

Nigga.
>>
>>46663426
Go away frogposter.
>>
>>46663426
Depends on the setting.

Just how many threads with weird premises like these, whose main goal seems to be too draw autists into arguments over semantics, are you going to make?

Don't you have anything better to do?
>>
>>46663426
Even if you're talking about pre-modern settings without the healing magic, there are numerous reasons why there would be low infant mortality rates:
- different race biology, different aging processes
- different ecosphere environment - basically the concentration of viruses/bacteria is lower and every virus/bacteria/etc. is either symbiotic, or doesn't affect humans
- different flora and fauna, which are used by humans as a panacea drug effective against infant diseases
- intense radiation background that basically sterilizes anything that isn't protected or used to it like humans are, so air and water disease transmission vectors don't exist
Etc., you can make up numerous reasons why there are low infant mortality rates or mortality rates in general.
>>
>>46663426

Yes. But so does everything else. Most settings are the theme park version of the Middle Ages anyway. Modern morality, modern medicine. Frankly, I'm surprised that monarchies are a thing at all.
>>
>>46663426
Usually my settings feature functional witchcraft or priesthoods with blessings or what have you, and between this and making sure the farmers' crops and animals thrive, this is what 75% of them spend 75% of their proper magic-ing time on.
>>
Nothing can 'kill my immersion' because I'm aware I'm a player playing a game, and I can tell the difference between reality, and reasonable abstractions and concessions so that we can all have fun.

People who scream 'but my immersion' are literally worse people than people who can easily switch between in-game and out-of-game thought, because they're not capable of playing games with interesting player-facing mechanics.
>>
>>46663875
ERP?
>>
>>46667555
Enterprise resource planning. It involves a lot of long term decisionmaking for businesses and kingdoms so breeding rates are important to take into account.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.