[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WH40K Blanks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 5
File: Sisters_of_Silence_art.jpg (56 KB, 659x525) Image search: [Google]
Sisters_of_Silence_art.jpg
56 KB, 659x525
Explain to me how the Blanks and Pariahs work to me. Does psykers can still use their abilities around them if they are strong, or blank nullifies them completely? Does that require any effort from blank? Does blank abilities nullify force weapons and Chaos artifacts? Can blanks close Warp gates and travel in Warp without Gellar fields? Can they block spaceship attempts to move into Warp?
>>
Depends on the Blank. Some are stronger than others. But none are so strong they can mess with a warpship.
>>
>>46632512
>None are so strong that survived to adulthood

FTFY.

Pariah's range from being shunned, to hated, to causing psychotic violent outbursts among any around them, depending on how strong they are. Perhaps there was a blank that was as strong as the Emperor but reversed, but it's own mother probably strangled it moments after it was born.
>>
>>46632488
They are full uncanny valley tier. Just imagine a guy that has no face. Everything else about that person is as normal as can be. Looking from behind that person looks like a normal bloke doing normal stuff. Then it turns to face you and you see that It has no mouth, eyes or nose. Just a blank slate of skin.

That is what a blank is.
>>
>>46632535
It's not a question of power, it's a question of range. Voidships are kilometers long and up to a half kilometer wide, and blank auras are measured in handfuls of meters.
>>
>>46632488
> Does psykers can still use their abilities around them if they are strong, or blank nullifies them completely?
Don't think of the null-aura as entirely anti-Warp, it's more like (to use a terrible comparison) anti-matter and matter colliding, only the anti-matter has fundamentally more mass. Psychic stuff counters null-auras, the latter is just far better at eliminating the former. So yes, if the Psyker is powerful enough they can rip through the blank's aura with some lessened effect.
>Does that require any effort from blank?
The lore on blanks controlling their own powers is limited, but we do know that with sufficient will and skill they can increase/decrease the immediate effects of their aura.
>Does blank abilities nullify force weapons and Chaos artifacts?
Hypothetically, yes, anything psychic is effected by a null aura. The Hivemind, Daemons, the WAAAGH!, so long as it's Immaterial in nature.
>Can blanks close Warp gates and travel in Warp without Gellar fields?
If one were powerful enough, the former is possible, Necrons can produce artificial null-fields capable of closing Warp rifts. I don't think one could generate enough of a field to survive in the Warp, however, with all that psychic energy crashing down on them.
>Can they block spaceship attempts to move into Warp?
Hypothetically, yes, they would make it far harder to breach the veil and enter the Immaterium, though the field would have to be far greater than one made by any known biological null-field. Perhaps some of the more powerful Necron devices.

As for how they work. Note that merely being soulless does not make one a true blank, one has to actively produce an anti-Warp field. Though the science behind such generation is unexplained, it is most likely traced back to Necron technology.
>>
>>46632512
>>46632535
The Tyranid Hive mind might be a good reference point for that level of blank. While not strictly a blank, it does cause a massive zone of interference which can prevent ships from warping.
>>
>>46632623
The tyranid hive mind isn't a blank, though. A blank is a void in the warp. The hive mind is the exact opposite, an immense weight of minds unified in thought and purpose that's so heavy it pushes the rest of the Warp aside.
>>
>>46632535
>a blank that was as strong as the Emperor
Imagine a feral world where someone like that managed to survive to adulthood.

Locals fear and revile their chief, but figure he's preferable to the witches and exploding heads they're used to dealing with.

Plot hook? Anyone?
>>
>>46632668
That's why I said it was a good reference point for comparison. A Blank creates a vacuum in the warp. Tyranids create a solid mass. The end result is similar.

We can reasonably conclude that a Blank at that high level could have a similar effect over a large area.
>>
>>46632535
A Culexus is capable of killing with its touch, the sheer power of its pariah aura ripping soul from body. A pariah as powerful as the Emperor would have killed its mother, the local village and any wildlife with souls before it was born, and proceed to die within the womb as an underdeveloped weakness.

Imperial forces would come and the Psykers would find nothing. No trace. The world around them eerily silent, beyond mere death, a void.
>>
>>46632761
>Weakness
I have no idea how I made that mistake. "Underdeveloped foetus," was the term I was looking for.
>>
>>46632535
>Perhaps there was a blank that was as strong as the Emperor but reversed

There was, and his name was Spear. He was an assassin that existed during the Horus Heresy, working for the traitors. He had the power to assassinate the Emperor but he ultimately failed in his mission.

In other literature, Ferik Jurgen of the Ciaphas Cain series is a blank, and he is constantly depicted as being filthy and foul-smelling, even if he'd recently bathed. Some theorize that the repellent nature of blanks manifests in his case as his extreme body odor. Cain quite likes him otherwise, to the point where he's very upset when Jurgen's skull gets fractured by a bolt shell that glanced off his helmet and he nearly dies.

>>46632576
Wrong kind of blank.
>>
>>46632535
>>46632761
Now I'm seeing some radical Inquisitor with no sense of right and wrong undertaking experimentation to try to bring uber-blank into existence to create a living, walking, anti-demon, anti-personnel WMD. And then it goes horribly wrong and a child who kills everyone within a hundred meters of himself gets loose in a hive city.
>>
>>46632828
The only hope would be to, funnily enough, send more Blanks after it, preferably a Culexus.

Culexus vs. Godpariah when?
>>
>>46632761
>>46632828
Brutal
>>
>>46632713
That probably wouldn't happen. Witches are culturally reviled in the Imperium due to historical stigma and religious dogma and tend to get sent away or purged if they're a problem. A powerful blank is instinctively reviled by all living things with a soul. Everything would always want him dead upon their first meeting and he'd have an impossible time getting any sizable group of people following him. It's only by Inquisitorial intervention that these people ever live long.
>>
>>46632668
Wait, did the fluff change on that? I was under the impression that hivemind created a shadow of nothingness. They are fluffed to make a psychic black hole now?
>>
>>46632855
Naw a sniper or vindicare would work too.
You'd just have to lure it into the open. With like a pile or candy, or a video recording of it's parents.
>>
>>46632855
Wouldn't the best option be a Vindicaire. Just snipe the thing from low orbit.
>>
>>46632801
Nah, at one point Cain wrote that as far as Jurgen was concerned, hygiene was "something that happened to other people"
>>
>>46632488
Psykers are shining beacons while blanks are black holes. They siphon warp energy from their surroundings and as souls are warp related, people feel the draw on their spirits as well and it is off-putting to them, which is why blanks are shunned by others.

These abilities, just like psychic powers, can be enhanced and manipulated, which is how for example culexus assassins are so powerful.
>>
>>46632905
>>46632916
Sure, but a Vindicare is at least at risk in the confined spaces of a Hive City. A Culexus is in virtually no danger and can just go snap the poor child's neck.
>>
File: Gravity mirror.png (1 MB, 1392x530) Image search: [Google]
Gravity mirror.png
1 MB, 1392x530
>>46632613
>Hypothetically, yes, they would make it far harder to breach the veil and enter the Immaterium, though the field would have to be far greater than one made by any known biological null-field. Perhaps some of the more powerful Necron devices.

Necron devices can disable Warp travel. (picture related). In can you needed an example.
>>
>>46632905
>>46632916
Sorry, the Inquisitor wants Subject HBE-1618 returned to the labs alive. Retrieve the specimen intact, Acolytes. Do not fail the Inquisition.
>>
>>46632944
If it's alone in a hive city the kids gonna starve to death or get crushed by debris in a week anyway, so why send an assassin at all.
>>
>>46632801
He also has psoriasis, which doesn't help in the appearance department.
>>
>>46632978
Every second it spends in the Hive it kills another citizen with its aura and cripples the infrastructure. Culexus can retrieve the experiment, alive or dead, before it causes too much damage and without attracting attention.
>>
>>46632927
>as far as Jurgen was concerned, hygiene was "something that happened to other people"
Considering that, even when freshly scrubbed, groomed, and forced into a clean dress uniform under close supervision, he still somehow manages to look disheleved and smell filthy, he probably stopped even trying after a while.
>>
>>46632927
I think its both in Jurgens case. Ciaphas isn"t a psyker, so the blankness bothers him less.
>>
I'm going to point that there is technology that allows for the suppression of Blank fields. Not sure how it works, but it exists.
>>
>>46633017
>Not sure how it works
Archeotech, I aint gotta explain shit.
>>
Killing the pariah ends his/her effect.

This indicates that their effects has something to do with the mind.
>>
>>46633008
Most people that Jurgen encounters aren't Psykers. In fact, Cain makes it a point to avoid friendly Psykers in order to conceal Jurgen's nature. Aside from that one ditzy chick in Amberly's retinue.
>>
>>46633017
Didn't Ravenor or Eisenhorn have a blank with him in the novells? I recall the blank having to switch on and off a dampening necklace or something for the blank aura to kick in.
>>
>>46633041
Conciousness or the Pariah gene is literally a null-field generator on a biological medium, and will cease functioning like any other cell-structure without nutrients.
>>
>>46633036
Not even Archaeotech. I remember seeing these collar things in the AGP storytime.
>>
>>46633074
Eisenhorn had a female Blank in his retinue that he was actually quite close with, despite being a psyker.
>>
>>46633084
>I remember seeing these collar things in the AGP storytime.
AGP isn't the best source on info about 40k. It's a fun story, but it takes the canon loosely at best (Which is one reason it's so fun).
>>
How do most Blanks interact with each other? Are they put off or do they get along like normal people would?
>>
>>46633101
And now that I think of it, I believe Ravenor had some male Blank around.
>>
>>46633123
Without a soul one cannot perceive the Warp, nor is one tormented by the anti-Soul nature of the Pariah. They don't see each other as any different from anyone else.
>>
>>46633079
It's Necron Magitek, so who knows.
>>
>>46633123
>they get along like normal people would?
They get on with each other fine. Tragically, being kidnapped by the =][= or the Culexis is often the high point of a blank's like, because now they can interact with other blanks who understand and like them, and are often the first friends the blanks in question have ever had.
>>
>>46633140

Huh, now I'm thinking of some Ordo Malleus Inquisitors who goes around picking up Blanks and Untouchables and relocating them to a remote colony. He comes by to recruit some for his Stormtroopers and stores psychic artifacts there.
>>
>>46633201
No need for a remote colony. Outfit blanks and pariahs as the sole guardians of your relic vaults. Now Diviners cannot peek into them and no psychic/Chaos artefacts can lash out at the ship.
>>
>>46633163
You'd think the Inquisition would make it a point to find all the Blanks they can and recruit them. They're infinitely more valuable to them than in their own.
>>
>>46633227
I said the colony thing because I want them hooking up and producing more Blanks.
>>
>>46633233
It does. The problem is that blanks are incredibly rare and hard to find, and the Assassinorum is *also* looking to find all the blanks it can. The supply is very low and the demand is incredible.
>>
>>46633201
An All Blank Stormtrooper Squad would be pretty interesting. Eldar would find them horrifying.
>>
>>46633252
Heretical, very heretical. But entirely logical and one of the few instances in which innovation would actually do more predictable good than harm if you kept it a secret from the shitfit throwing puritans.
>>
>>46633005
If it was as powerful as the Emeperor, everyone in the city would already be dead.
>>
>>46633265
Only Pariahs can be made into Culexus Assassins. Blanks and Untouchables are too weak.
>>
>>46633292
And Pariah's are often the victims of violence before they're found, let alone being incredibly rare to begin with.

Isn't there only supposed to be like a couple hundred Culexus in the whole Imperium?
>>
>>46633276
Is it Heretical because of Mutants? Because we've got Ogryn and Ratlings serving in the Guard, Psykers serving in a bunch of places and Navigator Houses. A colony of Blanks isn't that Heretical.
>>
>>46633324
Arguably less heretical even, because they're not even Abhuman. Just mutants like Psykers.
>>
>>46633307
Dunno, but Blanks and Untouchables are far more common, so you'd think there's be a sizable amount.

Seriously though, if you're a Lord Inquisitor, scour your sector for Blanks, capture them and put them in Cryo until you've collected a few hundred. Then set them up on a Feral World and come by every few years to pick up some kids for indoctrination and whatnot. You'd probably get a few good Interrogators out of them but some great Stormtroopers.
>>
>>46633324
>>46633336
Abhumans are classified as lower on the heresy-scale than outright mutants. Psykers are only tolerated because they're absolutely necessary, most Imperials would argue that Blanks are soulless monsters and completely unnecessary.
>>
>>46633414
>capture them and put them in Cryo until you've collected a dozen
FTFY
>>
>>46633425
Most Blanks are just unnerving. Hell, the woman who joined Eisenhorn's retinue used to be a prostitute and it's hard to do that job without even a little charisma. Most Blanks probably just live their lives being unpopular and not knowing their abilities.

Untouchables are just disturbing, but tolerable. Jurgen is the best example of this. They'll live their lives as social outcasts but they aren't considered Abominations.

Pariahs are where you get into Soulless monster territory.
>>
>>46633521
That wouldn't create a self-sustaining population.

... Unless you got a few Vitae Wombs and grew some more.
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 1024x780) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 1024x780
Is there some fluff loophole to explain the continued existence of Necron Pariah's? A really demented Cryptek or entirely honorless Overlord?
>>
>>46633612
Deceiver.
>>
>>46633612
Interested Cryptek observing and harnessing their old creation of the Pariah gene is all it would take.
>>
>>46633612
Anti-Warp weapon. They're far too useful to get rid of.
>>
>>46633604
I was meaning in a decade of scouring your sector you are going to find around a dozen blanks.
They aren't exactly common.
>>
>>46633714
Blanks are more common than Untouchables which are more common than Pariahs. I'd likely get two or three of the first two every year so about a score a decade.

Good thing I've got a few centuries to get this going.
>>
>>46633714
Sisters of Silence are composed entirely of Blanks. There's a fair number of them.
>>
>>46633821
Your original post just made it seem like collecting a few hundred blanks would be easy so I felt obliged to comment.
>>
>>46633852
That was also 10k years in the past with the resources of all of the empire and the Emperors guidance.
There is a huge difference in available resources.
>>
>>46633887
With the lifespan that an Inquisitor has, it really wouldn't be too hard. Maybe turn it into a hobby.
>>
>>46633951
The Sisters of Silence are still a thing. Who do you think mans the Black Ships?
>>
>>46633953
I never claimed it would be impossible. It would be a lifelong project for the lord inquisitor that consumes tons of resources and many different factions would want to prevent from succeeding.
>>
>>46633951
Given a Century and Inquisitorial resources, I'd probably be able to find at least a hundred Blanks of varying strength. Sectors are pretty fucking big.
>>
>>46633997
Now you're overestimating their rareness. Hive Worlds have massive populations. Even assuming that they're one in a billion (which is a SIGNIFICANT overestimate) that's, like, 20 per Hive World. And that's not taking into account the new ones that are born.
>>
Is there any fluff about when a Blank meets a Blank?
Do they feel hate and disdain or what?
Culexus temple might have little unfriendly atmosphere....
>>
>>46632488
> Does psykers can still use their abilities around them if they are strong,
Yes
>blank nullifies them completely?
no, but the psyker has to be immensely powerful and the pariah weak.
> Does that require any effort from blank?
no.
Does blank abilities nullify force weapons and Chaos artifacts?
Yes/depends on the artefact.
> Can blanks close Warp gates and travel in Warp without Gellar fields?
No and no. Warp gates are machines, they are not affected by them, without the gellar field the ship would still be fucked. a tiny *non-warp capable vessel maybe, but *.
>Can they block spaceship attempts to move into Warp?
No, again, machines.
>>
>>46633140
>mad inquisitor finds an empty planet
>collects blanks of various power and sends them to live on the planet
>eventually they go on and for society
>the children born on the planet are even more powerfull,yet still can live in a society
>Imperium now has infiite Culexus assasins
>tribe of blank shamans follows a local legend and suicides,providing birth to blank version of the Emperor
>>
>>46634124
See: >>46633163
>>46633140

Culexus temples are definitely unfriendly. Each of its members is a literally soulless, almost emotionless weapon of nothing but bitter killing instinct and cold calculation.
>>
>>46632801
>There was, and his name was Spear. He was an assassin that existed during the Horus Heresy, working for the traitors. He had the power to assassinate the Emperor but he ultimately failed in his mission.
Sounds a lot like the fan-fiction BL has been peddling lately.
>>
>>46634124
Someone already asked that. They actually react pretty normally around one another. Supposedly, Culexus make friends with each other quite easily.
>>
>>46634168
The post you quoted said the exact opposite of what you said.

>>46634149
Culexus Temples are incredibly disturbing for non-Culexus. For Blanks and such, it's probably pretty nice.
>>
>>46634200
Makes sense. If you spent your whole life hated by everyone you met, the first guy to not immediately scowl at your presence would seem really nice in comparison.
>>
>>46634313
>>46634200
>Culexus Assassins are the happiest Assassins.
>>
>>46634277
Yeah, forgot to add the "however," in the sentence. Pariahs and blanks don't repulse each other at all, but no Culexus could be considered friendly and doesn't have the capacity to get along with others in the traditional sense.
>>
>>46633986
Sisters of Silence are all dead. The Black Ships are manned by Strong-willed Inquisitorial Stormtroopers and specially trained anti-psyker astropaths, along with a host of traditional methods of torture and drugs to keep the psykers' minds muddled.
>>
>>46634363
Now I'm imagining the Culexus temples as being horrible, monolithic, Spartan places...but the Culexus are quite happy and find it comfy and relaxing to be sealed in with each other between missions. Full on grimdark future NEET caves.
>>
>>46634277
>>46634200
How do blanks interact with pariahs? Is their vestigial warp connection enough to be unnerved?
>>
File: 1457181910150.jpg (48 KB, 357x498) Image search: [Google]
1457181910150.jpg
48 KB, 357x498
This is Somewhat related
When i was reading revenor books i remember a bit where he had psi-dampers attached to his coffin which stopped him using abilities
i was wondering if you could do the same to a tyranid
It could even be a big one
>Mad inquisitor attaches Psi-dampers to nids and blocks out their hive mind
>Trains them like dogs to respond in some general way to orders
>The little ones may be too stupid but genestealers are smart i seem to remember
>So you have a carnifex that chases sticks for you in the park or even breaches doors
>Hive tyrant??
>Put explosive belts around their necks in case they get hungry or look at you funny
in an ideal world you have a system of birthing them into captivity so they almost never know the kiss of the hive mind and are fully domesticated

i mean some savage humans managed to turn wolves into chiwawas back in the day so with lots of time, resources and generations cant we have domesticated nids or at least as a military unit?
btw shhh dont tell the puritans
radicals only need reply
>>
>>46636921
Must be paradise compared to their job
>This Helmet is to heavy
>My Neck hurts
>This planet is too bright
>These Psykers are screaming to loudly
>I wish I was back at the Temple
>Cuddling with Assassin LXIX
>>
>>46632900
It isn't nothingness, Imagine a bunch of people are talking to one another in a room. They are sending and receiving sound waves to communicate. Now some guy shows up with a big fucking stereo blasting death metal or techno or some shit like that... he isn't creating a vacuum of silence, he is creating such a strong, chaotic signal that he is drowning out all the other sounds in the room, so people can no longer talk to one another.

That is how I'd imagine it. A blank, by comparison, would be like someone who caused people in his vicinity to lose their voices.
>>
File: wystan_by_astaretsin-d4xmhwb.jpg (109 KB, 770x1038) Image search: [Google]
wystan_by_astaretsin-d4xmhwb.jpg
109 KB, 770x1038
>>46633017
>>46633036
>>46633084
>>46633118
>>46633074
>>46633124

Sorry for the late response.

If you accept the Ravenor series as canon, then yes Null-Limiters are a thing. His retinue's untouchable, Wystan Frauka, was equipped with one, as were a few other minor character untouchables.

The details of the device weren't really explained in great detail in the books, but they're basically some sort of implanted psi-shielding controlled by a button on an external unit which powers them. I couldn't find anything in the DH or RT rulebooks to stat them out, but someone dumped some details on heresypedia: http://darkheresy.wikia.com/wiki/Nulls_and_Pariahs#Null_Limiter
>>
>>46632961
You wouldn't even need to go as far as explaining what's down there - if the Inquisition gets word of a world suddenly going dark after getting increasingly intense reports of psykers going mad with despair over a period of about 9 months they are going to send people to investigate. Its also very likely that the Eldar would be doing every thing in their power to kill this creature, because its the psychic equivalent of an ever expanding black hole, which might lead Ordo Xenos Inquisitors to it independantly ("Sir, a warfleet of Craftworld Ulthwe vessels have been spotted in this sector." "Ulthwe? We're a long way from the Eye, what's brought them out here?")

You could then have a really good Dark Heresy mission to a world where everything with a soul is dead or dying, but where there's absolutely no sign of chaos corruption. The one thing you would have to come up with is a reason why the PCs don't die or simply kill themselves the moment they come within range. Perhaps the Godpariah has learned to control and focus its powers somehow?
>>
>>46639149
That sounds like a good necron mission too.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.