[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All living creatures in your setting except humanoids have been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: 1453398483688.jpg (102 KB, 1036x772) Image search: [Google]
1453398483688.jpg
102 KB, 1036x772
All living creatures in your setting except humanoids have been transformed into their closer jurassic predecesors*

How does this affect the world and/or your adventuring endeavours?

*whenever possible, if it doesn't apply, then they just become jurassic versions of themselves)
>>
>>46619429
so that's were baboons came from
>>
>>46619474
Holy crap, how did I not notice that.
>>
>>46619429
The Zoo one of my players is building just became Jurrasic Park.
>>
>>46620054
Why is your player building a Zoo?
>>
>>46619429
What if it already takes place during the Jurassic?
>>
>>46620146
They become their Triasic predecessors
>>
>>46620496
We're time travelling. What happens when we get to the /actual/ Triassic?
>>
File: 1429811339852.jpg (74 KB, 1070x848) Image search: [Google]
1429811339852.jpg
74 KB, 1070x848
>>46620579
Dinosaurs, man, dinosaurs everywhere.
>>
>>46620496
>>46620779
And what exactly does this do to the fossil record?
>>
>>46619429
Honestly not much except aesthetically. Things get larger and dinosaurier. The apex predators are a lot bigger, which is a little scary, but we already had dragons and hydras and stuff and the world held on fine. In exchange, we don't have lions and tigers, which have faster metabolisms than dinosaurs, so that's one way the world is less scary. Also Rocs are probably just straight-up gone from the setting now.

I suppose the dinosaurs and hydras would have to be bigger to fit in with the dinosaurs. I assume our jurassic human-analogues spend more of their time dealing with dragons than before. But the scariest thing about dragons is that when they get old enough they become sentient, and that seems thematically off for the jurassic. If it's just a fire-breathing T-Rex that might actually be an improvement.

But overall, nothing crazy. It's not like we went back to the Cambrian or something.

>>46620579
Permian, most likely.
>>
>>46619429
>How does this affect the world and/or your adventuring endeavours?

My campaign already exists in an antedeluvian world where dinosaurs, mastadons, saber tooth cats, terror birds, etc never went extinct and most animals exist as bigger, nastier, more primitive versions of themselves.
>>
>>46620921
>If it's just a fire-breathing T-Rex that might actually be an improvement.
Well, that depends, maybe in your setting dragon ancestor where just bigger dinosaurer dragons. Even if they don't become sentient, it sounds like it could become a problem.
>>
>>46621126
Yeah, it would be harder to kill a dragon in actual combat, especially if they still fly in the Jurassic setting. The really old ones got to T-Rex size in the medieval setting, so the Jurassic variants probably get pretty damned huge.

But against the Jurassic version of an ancient dragon, you can set rockfalls around all the entrances of its lair and trap it when it goes home. It might be able to break free, but you'd be able to spear it a lot on the way out.

The medieval ancient dragon would have hired guards and spies, and checked for traps anyway. It's not falling for this at all.
>>
>>46619429
>all chickens turn into t-rex's
>>
>>46623507
Velociraptors, most likely. Which are chicken-sized. But still very mean.

I was thinking this change was "instead, since the dawn of time," but you just made me realize that if OP meant "instantly" it would be a total clusterfuck.
>>
File: '.png (232 KB, 500x553) Image search: [Google]
'.png
232 KB, 500x553
>>46619429
>All living creatures in your setting except humanoids have been transformed into their closer jurassic predecesors*
>*whenever possible, if it doesn't apply, then they just become jurassic versions of themselves)

What the hell does this even mean? Do humans just get turned into scalies, or do we revert back to rat creatures?
>>
So what OP is saying, reptiles stay basically the same, all birds are slightly more reptilian birds, and anything that is mammalian is now a small rodent.
Nothing becomes dinosaurs and nothing becomes flying or swimming reptiles because they all died out, sans birds. Seems like a poorly worded question.
>>
>>46624270
>except humanoids
>>
File: AndrewsarchusBook.jpg (949 KB, 1988x1303) Image search: [Google]
AndrewsarchusBook.jpg
949 KB, 1988x1303
Let's get a bit closer to the present like 30 million years ago. Some of these mammals were scary motherfuckers.
>>
>>46624378
>This was the ancestor of sheep and goats
What the fuck happened?
>>
>>46624918
Extinction and evolution.

Chickens are dinosaurs.
>>
>>46624918
More like
>what will humans look like in 30 million years?
>>
>>46625032
Well I mean obviously, but really, why is evolution so damned disappointing sometimes? I want a tyrannosaur drumstick dammit, and a herd of andrewsarchus to give the scraps to. At least then i'd never have to worry about a member of the flock being snatched by wolves or thieves.
>>
>>46625073
Depends on the environmental pressures humans as a species will encounter in the next 30 million years, if they're even still around. There could be millions of offshoots of H. Sapiens in the future, some through natural selection, but many probably through artificial selection. Or humans could go extinct in the next million years. Nobody knows for sure.
>>
>>46625073

You better get good at genetic engineering or you are not going to colonize Mars or any other planet.
>>
>>46624918
Not ancestor. Relative. A branch that branched from a common ancestor. Thats why this is a dumb question. A lot of animals end up being the exact same creature because tree of life. Especially if we are talking about going back to Jurassic.
>>
>>46624378
There's a manga about that, it start basically the same as Lost, with a plane falling into an unkown island, except that the island is full of 15-45 million years old animals (only the meanest, toughest ones, of course).

Apparently we are lucky to not have around anymore things like vultures with a widespan of 4 meters, massive carnivore sloths, and literal chocobos who were aggresive as cassowarys.
>>
File: alltomorrows.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
alltomorrows.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46625073
>>46625126
>>46625263
something like this perhaps
>>
File: tiny hyracotherium.png (282 KB, 1280x717) Image search: [Google]
tiny hyracotherium.png
282 KB, 1280x717
Things get really strange really quick.
>>
>>46621087
Cool, any stories?
>>
>>46624378
I'd sincerely be more scared of going back to the ice age than jurassic times. We'd be too small for most dinosaurs to care, but these furry fuckers were the meanest, most dangerous motherfuckers ever, they had to be because they wouldn't survive hell on earth otherwise, and they were all starving all of the time.

Plus, most of the predators learnt to hunt us, animals now stay out of human business because animals then cornered the would-be apex predator into hunter-mode.

Dinos would flee fire, hyenas know it won't stay lit for long.
>>
>>46625073
Three fingers, shorter, bald and brown.
>>
But the Jurassic is the worst time for dinosaurs.

Cretaceous or nothing.
>>
File: Dark Sun.jpg (1 MB, 1000x870) Image search: [Google]
Dark Sun.jpg
1 MB, 1000x870
>>46619429
Not much changes
>>
>>46619429

>Setting has no humanoids
Rawr, i guess.
>>
I want to see the planet as it was during the Permian. There is not nearly enough fiction regarding this.
>>
File: andrewsarchusDB.jpg (44 KB, 640x608) Image search: [Google]
andrewsarchusDB.jpg
44 KB, 640x608
>>46624378
Here is a more recent depiction
>>
>>46619429
except humanoids ?
Huh... I have no fucking idea, they are all creations or at least mutated creations. But a good 60% of them are robots, so not many organic creatures. I guess all creatures will dissapear ? Or nothing will change ?
>>
>>46619429
Impossible. In my setting, God created everything in six 24 hour days and the planet is only 6,000 years old. Just like real life.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.