[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In what ways could VR improve /tg/ related hobbies that can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 1149099750860151912.jpg (26 KB, 636x423) Image search: [Google]
1149099750860151912.jpg
26 KB, 636x423
In what ways could VR improve /tg/ related hobbies that can't be done face to face?
>>
Ever use the VR thingy on the 3DS?

That
>>
>>46606333

The VR shows people you talk to sitting in a virtual gaming room.

Each player has a custom avatar, with voice mod software so they can sound more like their characters.

The virtual 'table' is given the most detail, so you can actually zoom in and look around whatever maps and materials the DM prepared
>>
>>46606333
Yugioh holograms.
>>
>>46606333
That still seems like a poor substitute for irl games.
>>
>>46606817
Being to walk through virtual maps would be pretty ace.
>>
>>46606333
Magical Realms.
>>
>>46607128
>can't be done face to face
Referring to when you can't actually play face to face.
>>
Jiggle physics.
>>
>>46606333
Why VR? Why not AR?
AR will fucking revolutionize this shit.

For VR, I hope we'll someday have tools that allow you to build a scene on the fly. Imagine the GM building a room around you and you exploring it with your buddies. The rules are mostly automated but the DM still has final say and everyone can give their avatars custom animations.

But really, that VR shit would get gimmicky after a while.
Meanwhile, AR would be fuckawesome because it could overlay a grid on any map and make it interactive with markers for possible movement range and shit, as well as avatars for every character on the field.
You could have dual character sheets, where GM and player see something different from all other players.
You could have all of your stats visible in the corner of your eyes.
>>
>>46606333
If you had a 360° camera mounted above your game board, your buddies several states away could use them to game remotely.
>>
>>46607885
If you had a Hololense or two Kinects, it would do this as an after-thought.

On second thought, this now means that the NSA doesn't just have access to all of your microphones, but also your entire home's layout.
>>
>>46608514
>On second thought, this now means that the NSA doesn't just have access to all of your microphones, but also your entire home's layout.
They have that either way.
>>
>>46608622
I'm pretty sure that the records of the blueprints of my home (if those even exist at all) would be both outdated and not digitalized.
And they'd know nothing about the placement of any objects in here.
>>
File: 1456602644554.jpg (105 KB, 500x616) Image search: [Google]
1456602644554.jpg
105 KB, 500x616
>>46606333
Once they have become as ubiquitous as PlayBoxes(TM) and there is as useful a software base for developers as there is today for indie devs with Crytek, Steam, etc. then a plethora of RPG tools will become almost unavoidable.

It will be easy to meet around the virtual game table and control posable miniatures with 3D generated dice on a tile map with dynamic lighting made with a level editor in a few minutes.

But until we have motion tracking for facial expressions real-time rendered on our avatars it will not even come close to meeting in person for game night.

Computer games went from tech demos over nerdy games of skill for kids, secondary media for big franchises, creative explorations of artificial experience, all the way to e-sports and living room entertainment for all demographics rivaling Hollywood. Took 40 years.

VR will have to grow out of niche markets as well. The expectations are huge and many will try, but until fully immersive a/v VR with motion tracking has established its own language we'll just have to just see what sticks. Much of it will be good only in a very limited part of the whole experience.

One thing is guaranteed: VR will develop. How relevant it becomes, only time will tell. The technology doesn't seem predestined to revolutionize roleplaying. But there will be new things and changes to old things.

May you live in interesting times.
>>
>>46606333
Better ERP.
>>
>>46607279
>AR
I can't wait for real life popups when I walk in a store.
>>
>>46606333
I wouldn't be able to use a VR headset for PnP because I would break it within the hour due to the number of times my hand collides with my forehead because of the constant level of 'That's so crazy it just might work' PC Plans that my group keeps coming up with.
>>
>>46609164
But just think of the ad-blocking software. It could show up as a ninja and karate chop the ads to pieces.
>>
>>46606333
Microsoft is working on a kind of holographic "teleportation." Everyone could theoretically just holo-conference in from each of their homes.
>>
>>46606333
Hardly any, because most of them can be done by AR.

You would need word->virtual object association in real time storytelling, which is FAR further along the line than "just VR"
>>
>>46606333
>"you see that you are in a tavern...."
>>
>>46609510
We Jump 225 now.
>>
>>46606817
Exactly what I came to say.

Everyone logs in from their home internet connection, and they see one another sitting at a virtual table. The maps can be pre-built in a computer program and brought to life with high-deinition textures and dynamic lighting/shadows. Instead of having to draw new sections of map, the fog of war determines what players see and can't see. Even the player/NPC/monster models can be 3d and animated.

It would be sweet.
>>
well, i've discovered that tabletop games are a thing that i enjoy immensely with people who i'm already friends with but don't have any interest in meetup groups for. i feel that VR or AR video chat would be radically more interesting than a skype session for allowing me to play with those people regardless of distance.

also, sweet AR might give people a tolerable way to avoid spending money on miniatures. it'd make it a lot easier for new games/settings to break in if all you had to do to play a game was convince your friends to download the right app.
>>
>>46608883
Now this is a really cool post and everything but I have to do this.
>dat pic
If I pull that off will you die?
>>
>>46613753
The altspace people are doing something like that already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80tYGfqlb6o
>>
>>46606343
in case anyone cares to look this shit up
do a search on AR cards 'Augmented Reality'
shit's cash
>>
>>46607128
While this is true sometimes you can't be face to face. My buddies live all around the world now. But we still play D&D, senpai.
>>
>>46607128
Nothing is stopping you from doing that when you ARE face to face too. Not that it would really be "face to face" with a headset like that, but you could definitely go places with AR rather than VR, having stuff overlaid over your actual gaming table.
>>
>>46614024

It would be extremely smelly
>>
Every card game becomes an anime. Monsters can actually appear out of nowhere when you play them. Virtual anime hair optional.
>>
>>46606343
>>46607279
>>46614148
Microsoft's Hololens has potential to do some amazing things in this vein.

It'll also probably be prohibitively expensive, though, as recently they seem to favor pitching its business applications (Minority Report-esque information management, retrieval, analysis) over leisure and day-to-day use.
I don't doubt that the Hololens 3 will be common piece of tech, though.
>>
File: EyeOfJudgment_PS3.jpg (223 KB, 720x828) Image search: [Google]
EyeOfJudgment_PS3.jpg
223 KB, 720x828
>>46616813
There was a PS3 game that did this almost a decade ago, but it died because it couldn't tell the difference between the actual cards and black and white, home-printed ones.
>>
>>46616964
Also it has a really small field of view that they tend to conveniently gloss over. Meta seems to be better in that regard, but less robust as far as tracking is concerned.
But yeah, I agree, in the long run people are going to do some cool shit with AR.
>>
Wargames become RTSes. When a model is built, it is scanned into a device that produces a fully rendered 3D animated version which will move around on the battlefield at your orders. Optional "personality chips" give unique movements and lines of dialogue to your units in order to make them Your Dudes. These may be designed by a third party.
>>
Would never have to paint my miniatures.
>>
>>46617117
Yeah, you'd have to buy skin DLC.
>>
>>46617161
buying skins for TTS, jesus anon. Show us on the doll where the nigerian game dev touched you.
>>
>>46608883
>But until we have motion tracking for facial expressions real-time rendered on our avatars it will not even come close to meeting in person for game night.
Hey, it's FaceRig.
>>
>>46609508
This is real life for Shadowrun.
>>
File: 0161-Ruby-Weapon.png (36 KB, 350x253) Image search: [Google]
0161-Ruby-Weapon.png
36 KB, 350x253
Basically this. Movement is optional.
>>
>>46606333
Your miniatures becoming alive and reacting variously depending on the environment like being picked up by a player or put next to another model.
>>
>>46614139
Looks pretty neat, if it is a success I bet that will result in more people trying to develop those games and the quality improving very quickly over the next decade.
>>
>>46618150
>Looks pretty neat
God, no! If I had to play like that, I wouldn't play. Especially when there's great games on the same gear.

It could work for some 80s hacker scenario. But playing fantasy with pixel ghosts around a floating table? That just breaks immersion hard.
>>
>>46618497
I'd never play that tacky garbage, but I was thinking if a game of that sort had any success, it might incentivize people to make a better, more broadly appealing version that would literally be virtual DnD.
>>
>>46617235
Facerig is still shit for the moment, and how would it work with a face-covering VR rig?
>>
>>46619698
Contacts VR rig.
>>
>>46606333
I don't want facebook to watch me look at vr anime tiddies.

But you know how in the first harry potter movie they had those "wizard chess" pieces? It'll be like that.
>>
>>46620748
>I don't want facebook to watch me look at vr anime tiddies.
Then better not surf on anime pages that have a like button with scripts turned on. Or a Googlesyndication counter for that matter.
>>
File: G3guYJb.png?fb.jpg (23 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
G3guYJb.png?fb.jpg
23 KB, 480x270
>>46608622
Basically >>46608721 sure if there was a copy of the blueprints they could get one. But that doesn't tell them anything about what hazards lurk inside. Like pic related
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.