[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've seen plenty of space Romes and space British Empires,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 300x168
I've seen plenty of space Romes and space British Empires, but why are other empires so rarely used as inspiration?
>>
>>46599638
Because those two are the most well known and most popular, at least in the west.

40k is really more Holy Roman Empire than proper Romans, so I feel like they get some points.

Space Ottomans would be pretty baller, anybody know of a setting with Space Ottomans?
>>
I'm just disappointed that space Romans rarely fight their space battles with spaceships mounted with a corvus.
>>
>>46599737

No______________
>>
>>46599638

Rome is popular because of the political intrigue, the powerful military and the contrast between highly-organized Roman civilization and the supposed barbarians outside it. Rome itself had that touch of barbarity too (like the arenas, and the bloody coups) that give it a bit of spice for modern people.

With the British Empire you have an easy set-up to translate. It was a maritime empire with many nationalities within it so that's easy to turn into a space empire containing diverse planets. You could do something similar with the French, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese or Germans but they're just not as popular with most Americans, and America is culturally dominant today.

Space USSR isn't unknown. Space Japan gets done too - Freelancer and Battletech each have one.
>>
>>46599638
what would space Spain Portugal ottomans and Austria look like
>>
>>46599638

I'd like to see space Huns or space Japanese. Not your manga space Japanese, your Japanese Empire space Japanese.
>>
>>46599737
Dune?
>>
>>46601296
>Space Sengoku Jidai
I'd play it
>>
We are using nazi germany atm in eve online for our coalition. But desu the only resemblance I find is thw way we are losing the war at the moment.
>>
>>46599737
40k is only a little like the Holy Roman Empire because it is a little bit like the Empire from Warhammer fantasy. But it is more a mix of ancient Rome, Medieval Catholic Church, USSR, and Nazi Germany than the Holy Roman Empire. I mean the HRE was disorganized and each province had a lot of power and control there was very little overall control unlike the Imperium and the Inquisition. If you want space Ottomans mixed with space HRE however look up the Imperium from Dune.
>>
File: 1457204583004.gif (3 MB, 200x155) Image search: [Google]
1457204583004.gif
3 MB, 200x155
What would the space French Empire and the space Spanish Empire be like?
>>
>>46601681
>space Spanish Empire
No one expects it.
>>
File: 18691184.jpg (106 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
18691184.jpg
106 KB, 317x475
The Futuristic Native American Race in Black Science comic was pretty cool.
>>
Space Crusader Kingdoms
>>
>>46601681
Shit, just like their real life counterparts.
>>
>>46601567
The Imperium is incredibly decentralized; it has to be, considering how massive it is and how turbulent interstellar travel is. Hell, many worlds have gone decades and even centuries without contact with the greater Imperium. Planetary and sector governments were typically left to their own devices, they just had to follow these rules:

>Don't go all Chaos
>Don't buddy-up with aliens
>Pay your tithe

And that's it. They could do pretty much anything they wanted, so long as those terms were met. The only Powers That Be that got involved in governments were the Administratum, to collect the tithe, and the Adeptus Arbites, who make sure the government is not dipping their toe in heresy. Other organizations only get involved if the first two report something worth noticing.
>>
>>46599638
Is Space Britain really that common? I haven't noticed it; I tend to just see vaguely-Roman (mostly loose structure) and Federation-esque.

I would think an important aspect of having the British Empire IN SPAAAAACE would be the East India Trade Company IN SPAAAAACE, since that's a pretty large part of what made ye ole British Empire unique.
>>
>>46602088
Except that the central organizations like the Imperial Guard or Navy would not exist in something like the HRE. Each sector would have it's own separate defense fleets, and let's look at the difference between Warhammer's Empire and 40k's Imperium. In the Empire the Elector Counts are right under the Emperor and they elect the new emperor when the old one dies. They have a lot of power and while the Emperor may outrank them he can't just order them around willy nilly. Now in 40k with the Imperium planetary Governors are not represented on Terra the Sector governors or planetary governors like Cadia, or Armageddon, or Krieg don't have much influence on Terra there is no senate for them to cast their votes. The local authorities rule themselves because it's easier but they have to obey without question central authority. The Imperium is more like the U.S. government where local government's exist but they are the bitch of the Feds, while the Empire is like the EU where individual members have a lot of power and don't have to obey and can ignore the EU. The highest authority under the Emperor in 40k is the high lords of terra and they are all taken from more central command like the Imperial Guard, Echlisarchy, Arbites, Inquisition, Assassins, etc. There are no local representation.
>>
>>46601693
The Spanish Inquisition provided everybody with a 1 month notice.
Gave people had plenty of time to squeal each other out for preferential treatment.
>>
>>46602194
>not the "West Indies" (South Sea) Company IN SPAAAAACE, ft. space John Blunt
>>
>>46602346
Those centralized institutions were still semi-autonomous. They did not answer to the planetary governments, but were still somewhat semi-autonomous, each being organized by their own relatively local leaders. They still answered to "federal" leaders, so to speak, but again, due to the vastness of the Imperium and the slowness of communication and travel in the galaxy, they were often required to be fairly independent. It's just a case of necessity.

Hell, the Inquisition is arguably the most decentralized organization in the Imperium. They have a pseudo-chain of command with acolytes being under Throne Agents, who are under Inquisitors, who are under Lord Inquisitors (who have sector-wide powerbases, typically), but that's still a very loose and informal hierarchy, not helped by the sheer amount of differing philosophies Inquisitors hold that range from puritanical to the highest order, to heretical beyond redemption, and everything in-between. One punishment an Inquisitor sees as acceptable, another may see as extreme.

Concurrently, the Guard, Navy, Arbites, etc. have their own chains of command that, while obeying the central power structures, they're still semi-autonomous to a point; they have powers that go above those of planetary governments when given clearance, but are not typically allowed to interfere in their affairs otherwise (although it does happen, I'm sure, but it's not exactly sanctioned).

Their organization all tend to be focused on a sector-level, since sectors are basically the largest an Imperial structure can be managed due to the slow nature of both interstellar communication and travel. They all answer to the higher powers, as do the planetary governments, but are still semi-autonomous.
>>
>>46603320
Umm dude it doesen't matter if they rule themselves for the most part, if they absolutely have to obey higher authority then they are not semi autonomous. For example Imperal Guard Generals unless he is the highest general ever and on the High Lords of Terra cannot tell even a normal Inquisitor to fuck off. Even a brand new Inquisitor has the authority to requisition whatever they want from anyone from the Guard to Arbites, to the Church. The only people they can't order around and have to ask are the space marine Chapters and to a lessor extent the Adeptus Mechanicus. They Imperium is byzantine however the central government has a lot of power, and local polities are not very autonomous. Unless you are a space marine world. Like I said Inquisitors and Inquisitor Lords have almost unchecked authority except by other Inquisitors, or the High Lords of Terra, or Space Marine Chapter Masters, or possibly high level Magos Tech Priests.
>>
>>46599638
I've seen plenty of Space Russias and Space Americas, not to mention the various Space Vaguely-European-Kingdoms.

Seen a couple Space Japans and Space Vikings. Not to mention the Space Mongols.
>>
>>46599638
>why are two of the most successful empires in history whose culture greatly influenced American literature and Hollywood movies be over represented

I DON'T KNOW. IT'S A MYSTERY FOR THE AGES.
>>
What about Austria-Hungary?
>>
>>46601704
>Wakan Tech-Tanka
kek
>>
>>46604510

Genetic Engineering galore?
>>
>>46602624
>(South Sea) Company IN SPAAAAACE, ft. space John Blunt
poor space Britain, never knew what hit it
>>
>>46599638
Dune's Empire is kind of a weird middle eastern empire in culture that consists of white dudes
>>
>>46599737
The Amarr in E.V.E are fairly Ottoman
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.