[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>wanna get into WH40K because I like the setting >see the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: sad-ork_99485326_orig_.jpg (69 KB, 700x680) Image search: [Google]
sad-ork_99485326_orig_.jpg
69 KB, 700x680
>wanna get into WH40K because I like the setting
>see the fucking price of the models
>>
>>46596295
Learn to sculpt. Its the only sane decision.
>>
>>46596295
It's really not that great, you're not missing out.

Also get a job, hippie.
>>
File: 1373795834330.png (2 KB, 173x167) Image search: [Google]
1373795834330.png
2 KB, 173x167
>>46596325
>tfw sculpting my realm of chaos warband

It's incredibly nice to have models that are 100% and truly yours. Even if they look like lumpy balloon animals.
>>
>>46596295
If it makes you feel any better, the game has essentially jumped the shark so you're not missing much. Getting into 40k in 2016 is like starting WoW in 2016. Just why, you missed the heyday.
>>
>>46596542
this desu. If you're look to get into a wargame I'd recommend either one of the fantasy torchbearers, infinity, x-wing,a historical, or malifaux depending on your personal taste and local scene

40k probably has all of 2 good years left in it and it isn't generic enough to be carried on by 3rd parties like fantasy is.
>>
Pirate the books into phone/tablet
Play grey Knights to get lowest model count
Buy from ebay
>>
>>46596295
play zone mortalis
>>
>>46596615

I second. There's much better games out there than Warhammer. But there's also some rulesets and games that let you use those minis in smaller amounts in the same universe.

40k has Kill Team, which uses much fewer minis, and the Heralds of Ruin variant is quite good at fixing the rules. Also >>46596713, which is pretty good.

Fantasy has Mordheim, Realm of Chaos, Regiment of Renown... Plus their models can make great proxies for games like Kings of War (made pretty much to fill the niche when Fantasy died) and Frostgrave (Mordheim but everyone has a wizard for balance).
>>
>>46596542
>>46596615
Is this trolling or are people really this delusional?
>>
>>46596295
>>wanna get into WH40K because I like the setting
Good one mate.
>>
>>46596295
There are still the 40k toleplay systems to have fun with, and you can still write your own stories.
>>
Go on eBay and look up secondhand models. There is a seller called AA Wargames that usually has lots of cheap shit. You will need to paint strip and maybe do some weapon changes, but the models typically cost a lot less than fresh out of the box.
>>
>>46596295
Setting is appealing, but 40k's ship has sailed. X-Wing is outselling it at this point, RP or read about it if you want to, but the game's basically done for.

There are plenty of other miniatures games to get into that have better rules/cheaper models/less maintenance, most of them have already been suggested.
>>
>>46596295
Play Zone Mortalis, Kill Team or Inq28. You can just buy two boxes and get to playing.

Personally I prefer small games.
>>
>Zone Mortalis
Isn't that Marines-only? I mean, even more so than the rest of 40k.
>>
>>46596842
How is he wrong? 40k has gone bananas.
>>
File: ZM6thUpdate.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
ZM6thUpdate.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46598761
>Isn't that Marines-only?

So you're an ignorant fuck who cant read? Got it, next time try reading things on your own instead of reading memes off the net.

Here, read it and tell me where it says or mentions that its marine exclusive.
>>
>>46598761

Nope. Everyone can ZM. Gets a lot of use out of stuff you normally don't seem on regular tables as well. Vespid actually look like a credible in a crowded ZM board, and if you know anything about 40k that's saying something.
>>
>>46596842
not an argument
>>
File: Wisdom.jpg (58 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Wisdom.jpg
58 KB, 250x250
>>46598704
>40k's ship has sailed
>X-Wing is outselling it

Well, that's it then. Once a brand new product based on a recent film gains dozens of fans, thirty-something franchises with thousands of fans are doomed. Remember how LotR killed Warhammer? Doomed.

Don't bother arguing - the science is settled!
>>
>>46598880

>recent film
>recent
>film
>Star Wars
>>
>>46598899
He's referring to TFA
>those double dubs
>>
>>46598880
Dudes it's apparent the glory days of 40k are long gone. Although like wow it'll never "die" per se, it'll just slowly degenerate further and further into being something undesirable. Like wow however you can still have fun playing on private servers ie playing the older editions with the older books.

GW has shown itself to be a dying company.Now is no the time to start 40k.
>>
Just buy Mantic minis.
>>
>>46598880
X-Wing outselling a sympotom of the fact that GW is out of touch and the game is slowly becoming less and less popular.
>>
>>46596842
>recommending fantasy

yeah it was bait
>>
>>46598880
Lotr was from the same company. SW is from a competitor. This is a major difference.
>>
>>46596295
The setting is shit, and the game is even worse. Model price notwithstanding, the gamr is literally the worst balanced miniature game on the market.
>>
>>46600274

Setting is debatable, a matter of taste.

But the game balance is laughable at best and "what's balance?" at worst. Model price is fine compared to many other manufacturers, but the amount needed for a table and the crippling cost of larger models drives the game's price pretty damn high.
>>
>>46596367
post em
>>
>>46598880
You do realize X-Wing gained the vast majority of it's popularity years before TFA came out... Right? And on top of that, X-Wing is actually a really engaging, and far better system than anything GW has produced in the past two decades.
>>
>>46599004
>it'll just slowly degenerate further and further into being something undesirable

How strangely appropriate.
>>
>>46598802
When has 40k not been bananas?
>>
>>46596842
30K player, here. I played since 2007. It's the reason I switched
>>
>>46596619
Do this, if you want options do Grey knight/SW while using random models to build a inquisition warband.
>>
>>46596357
>Get a job
>so you can spend thousands on an outdated or soon to be outdated buncha models
>so you cna waste hours of your life painting said models to very strict specifications or spergs won't want to play with you because too casual
>so you can spend four hours playing a game that's 70% tedium and 0% skill or strategy
>against cuckolds who will just stack the most overpowered shit and have the gall to whine if you didn't paint all da guardsmen or boyz or grots in your list

I honestly don't know why people just don't stick to video games.
>>
>>46606178
That's why "Buy the models that look the coolest" will always be the correct strategy
>>
>>46596295
Then play Dawn of War. It's good stuff.
>>
>>46596295
The lore and the models have zero overlap as a hobby.
Just find people to play Dark Heresy with instead and save yourself multiple thousand $
>>
>>46600274
Hey, its more balanced than AoS.

>>46605187
Before armies were small and you could not have Baneblades, flyers and knights at 40k scale.
>>
>>46605964
>>46596619
I would do this but you're just asking to get fucked by some ap2/3 blast that wipes out a whole squad
>>
>>46596295
Play 40k RPGs instead.
All you need is books, and they could be downloaded for free.
>>
>>46606782
>Played since 2nd ed
>Kind of like the baneblades, flyers & knights
I just wish they'd balance the game a bit (i.e. a lot) better, back when Tyranids, Ork and even Blood Angel codexes came out i actually was beginning to think that they were reversing the game's power creep codex by codex... then the Eldar codex came out, oh boy was i wrong.
>>
>>46596295

Well you could try importing some minis from the far east...

But I wouldn´t recommend 40k as a game, the minis are setting is good but it doesn´t hold up as a game.
>>
>>46606219
Yeah. it's just a shame 40k is what it is, and I don't know why people continually come upon the feeling that they should want to get into it.

It's not truly as fun as it may look. But well, different strokes.
>>
>>46596295
Sorry to say it OP, I think most of the thread is right. I grew up with 40K from 2E and call me a Grognard, but the quality in all respects has just nosedived through the years. I love the setting, how it was intentionally designed to encourage creativity and let people come up with all their own myriad takes on the setting and the armies. Now it's just a license to mass produce overpriced armymen.

I still enjoy the setting, but me and my friends haven't enjoyed anything official in years now. I've got quiet hopes for Eternal Crusade or some sort of comprehensive RPG book, but I know they'll be shit.

http://unpluggedgames.co.uk/features/blood-dice-and-darkness-how-warhammer-defined-gaming-for-a-generation/

This is a good article to read, new or old to the setting.
>>
>>46606782
AoS's non-existent balance system is better than 40k at the moment. At least with the former you can just field rough equivalents, rather than having to adhere to a points system that makes gargantuan creatures laughably cheap, unless you're chaos.
>>
Why the fuck are people reccomending ZM or Inq28mm to people complaining about prices? Terrain isn't cheap, especially not if you need a fucking shitton of it and to build a good looking Inquisitor Warband, you need a fuckton of bits.
>>
>>46608717
Because ZM is small scale and locks huge expensive units. Terrain is as cheap as you want it to be, you can make an entire good looking ZM board out of two sheets of dense foam and a pack of generic sci-fi scenery.
>>
>>46596785
>Plus Warhammer models can make great proxies for games like Kings of War.
You are doing it very wrong.
>>
>>46607284
Even so, both systems are fucking retarded right now. And about as much fun as ass-fucking yourself with a rotohammer.
>>
>>46608717
As much as I'm a massive ][ fanboy, and have been since it's release, it's a semi-awful system.
It's a good way of putting miniatures into Dark Heresy, but it's a very clunky system.
Still gotta love it though brah.
>>
>>46606178
It would be hard to find someone more pessimistic than you.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.