[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The player that literally does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING during
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12
>The player that literally does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING during the game
>Unless it's to react to something life-threatening:
>He'll do combat if the rest of the party is in combat.
>Otherwise, all other interactions specifically aimed at him get a minimalist response.
>If an NPC asks him a question the response usually consists of as few syllables as possible and won't take him anywhere.
>Asbolutely no initiative taken on his part.
>Just sits there the entire game until something happens - usually combat.
>Player keeps showing up to every single game.

JESUS ARE YOU HAVING FUN OR NOT???
>>
So is this a That Guy thread, or what? Do you expect many stories about guys whose defining characteristic at the table is that they do nothing?
>>
>>46590640
He just likes roleplaying the average video game NPC, no dialog and only attacks when attacked first.
>>
>>46590640
That sounds like a casual gamer, they don't like being the center of attention and some people are like that.
>>
>>46590640
Some people just don't want to ''interrupt''. Sometimes people just feel like it's better to just let other people talk, and just drift along with the game. Some people are just awkward as all fuck.
>>
>>46590640
I'm not particularly good at roleplaying, so it's often easier to let other characters take the lead. I like levelling up at looting things, so I usually do a lot in combat.

Dunno if that's what you're describing, but there's one reason. The person probably is having fun, otherwise they would keep showing up.
>>
I've got four friends who fall into the "silent observer" category, and one of my friends actually prefers this type of player. They don't start arguments, keep things brief, and as long as one player (or the DMPC) can show them the way, they can race through campaigns in only a few sessions.

I personally don't like this kind, because I don't like railroading players and my goal is to work with them to craft a great story, but every group has its own goals, and if your goal is to finish all those prewritten modules you've got laying around, it's hard to find a more suitable player.
>>
>>46590640
>bitching about him not participating
>not realizing he's just happy to show up and contribute
>not realizing this is probably the most social interaction the guy did in years of him being an awkward misantrope
>not realizing he is having the fun of his lifetime right now and doesn't want to ruin it by "hogging too much spotlight" (by his standards)
Anon, it's like you've never met or helped a socially awkward person before.
>>
>>46590640
>not thanking this great player for being naturally polite and conscientious

I think we all know who has the real problem here, anon.
>>
File: zoeypic.jpg (29 KB, 579x399) Image search: [Google]
zoeypic.jpg
29 KB, 579x399
>>46590898
Encouraging a player to step out of their comfort zone IS helping them.
>>
>>46591005
You are not helping themby complaining on a Taiwanese cave drawings imageboard.
>>
>>46590710

That fits me. There is usually a person in all the groups I've played put alot in Charisma and diplomacy so i felt it wise to STFU. It also didn't help that the DM/GM would always direct conversations to that individual.
>>
>>46591055
You are not alone.
>>
I used to play a character that one of his traits was that he was a silent observer BECAUSE I was doing it myself without realising.

My GM and fellow players helped me out by getting me involved and doing lots of interaction. My new character is a Charasmatic Captain that is only good at talking and business
>>
>>46591148
My name was left from a Civ thread, yes I'm also one of those fags
>>
Ooooor you could casualy pull him to the side and ask how he think things are going, is he having fun? Ask if there is a reason why he isnt roleplaying or if its just how his charactor is. Talk to your players man!
>>
Here's a kind of related question. Should a player with a low charisma character be forced to role play them as such, or can they try to do face-ish things and just have them be not as well received as they would be if done by a high cha character?
>>
>>46591055
>>46591099
Low self-esteem? Think you can't contribute anything meaningful, or won't be appreciated for it?
>>
File: How Neutral.png (108 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
How Neutral.png
108 KB, 300x225
>>46590640
I played with a guy once who was such a non-presence in the game, and paid so little attention to what was going on, that he once showed up and played for over an hour before he, or anyone else, realized the character he was playing had died last session.

And he didn't even remember it. We realized because the GM asked his character's name, and he looked it up on his computer (because he had forgotten) and the GM vaguely recalled that that character was dead.

Quiet players or players who are only interested in combat I can sort of understand, though I don't know why they've chosen tabletop rpgs as their hobby, but players like that guy, who act put-upon even being asked to remember their own character's name or class, or do anything ever, the ones who sit there and play pokemon and get annoyed when they have to stop playing to listen to the GM for five seconds, them I just don't get.
>>
>>46590900
Sometimes it's hard to differentiate the sarcasm from the stupidity on this board.
>>
>>46591166
Allow me to simulate that conversation for you.

>""I've noticed you don't say much during the game compared to the other players. Are you having fun?"
>"...yes."
>"What part of the game do you enjoy the most?"
>"...hmmm... battles"
>"Is there any way I can improve the game?"
>"..hhhmmmm....more.... battles"
>"Is there anything you don't like about the game?
>"nnrggh...too much... hmm... talking... too much... nnngh... not enough... mmmmh... battles"
>"Were there any NPCs that you li-"
"TOO MUCH TALKING! TOO MUCH TALKING! MORE BATTLES! LESS... TALKING. LESS TALKING. LESS-"
>>
File: embrace pain.png (360 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
embrace pain.png
360 KB, 500x322
>>46591055
Your GM might be different, but I've run games with a lot of quiet/shy/bored/disinterested players, and generally, if after a few tries to engage them they remain unengaged, I just ignore them. I might check in now and again, but when they never really say or do anything, I just feel like I have too much to keep track of, and to many active personalities to deal with, to also spend time figuring out what their deal is.

I've also been the guy who puts points in Charisma and does all the talking, and I've seen myself dominate games and shut out other players. But at the same time, I've sat in games with those players and refused to do that, thinking I'll stay silent, make a mook, and let them take the spotlight. And they do nothing. And the GM keeps looking at me, talking to me, begging me to respond just so his NPCs have someone to talk to. I've had to change characters mid campaign before because I didn't make a social character, and the two people who did won't pay attention or won't talk or won't come up with a plan.

So maybe you're perpetuating that situation as well, you know?
>>
>>46591005
>I know what they like better than them
So they're just having badwrongfun then?

>>46591468
Or maybe some people like observing and keeping their distance.
>>
>>46591674
>Or maybe some people like observing and keeping their distance.
I think the point is, it's a role playing game. If you don't want to take part in the role playing, you're sort of in the wrong hobby. There are countless games of all kinds which are just combat, and allow "social interaction" without any social interaction.
>>
>>46591292
>>46591292

I've never been in the start of the campaign so I was usually out of my depth when it came to world or overall campaign knowledge.
>>
>>46591581

Fair enough point, but I think that the relationship between the two might have also added another factor. I'd get involved when the GM gave me an opening to, but it seemed that all major plot convos to the diplomacy character.
>>
>>46590640
Here is a question, what if he is rule playing the "silent not much to of a talker" pc ?
>>
>>46592177
Nigga what is "ruleplaying"?
>>
>>46590640
Maybe he's just used to playing D&D.
>>
>>46590640
Hope this is not about me, I am just a little tired most sessions but still enjoy the game. Plus writing fast is not my strong suit in roll 20.
>>
File: please just end it.gif (4 MB, 270x263) Image search: [Google]
please just end it.gif
4 MB, 270x263
>>46590640
>tfw I feel like I'm constantly hogging the spotlight because the DM rewards my attempts at roleplay while the others are relatively silent/too busy goofing around
jesus fuck, somebody save me.
>>
>>46592204
Stupid phone auto correct. *role
>>
>>46592177
Is it okay for a player to be an asshole if he's roleplaying as an asshole?
>>
Sometimes I want to play as a quieter and more reserved character, but it seems like I always end up having to jump in and become the talkative leader and party face in order to keep things moving.
>>
>>46590710
I don't like to interrupt people. Another player likes to interrupt everything and ofthen spoils my attempts to RP things out. Jerk.
>>
>>46593118

Yes, so long as he takes time and effort to seperate his IC dialogue from his OOC dialogue.
>>
>>46593510
I have the exact opposite problem as you. Can we switch bodies now and go through wacky cathartic adventures learning what it's like to be such a different person?
>>
>>46590640
Some people, many of whom are fairly new to roleplay, are unsure of how to start roleplaying, and need some prompts from the setting around them, or they just have no idea how to start. May of them want to and are deeply interested in roleplay, just unsure of how to get into character themselves. Some non-combat conflict to bring out their character's opinions is often a good place to start for people like this.
>>
>>46591166
>>46591468
How the conversation would actually go:

>"I've noticed you don't say much during the game compared to the other players. Are you having fun?"
>"yeah"
>"What part of the game do you enjoy the most?"
>"I don't really know, it's all pretty fun. Maybe fighting?"
>"Is there any way I can improve the game?"
>"Not really...maybe more fighting? But it's not super important. It's still fun."
>"Is there anything you don't like about the game?"
>"I don't think so"
>"Were there any NPCs that you liked?"
>"The one with the accent you did was pretty funny, I liked him"

You'll probably just get more timid replies like that. Just because they're socially awkward doesn't mean they're fucking autistic
>>
Hey OP, am I the one you're talking to? Because that sounds like me. Maybe I'm actually in your game. Anyway: Yes, I'm having fun. That's why I keep showing up. I just like watching everybody else roleplay. I'm shit at it.
>>
>>46590640
I hate players who don't pay attention. I understand if your character is not in the current scene it's okay to get out your phone and check your facebook as long as you're still listening to what's happening, but when you repeatedly have to be regaled with the last half-an-hour of the game, it just becomes "why are you here? If you don't want to play just give me your character sheet and I'll run you as an npc."
>>
I get that people are different and that some people come to the table for different reasons, but would it kill some people to participate in the game beyond just things that concern only their character?

>DMing
>fairly narrative campaign, a lot of description and detail
>has been for the past year
>describing a scene on the deck of a ship
>one guy talking to another quietly while description is happening
>only one player is actively listening to anything that's being said
>at one point in the campaign the other two are talking OVER the one player describing something awesome his character is doing
>tell them to pay attention politely
>one realizes he was being rude, says sorry
>the other crosses his arms and sits back, sullen
>>
File: FB_IMG_1459171385968.jpg (34 KB, 393x720) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1459171385968.jpg
34 KB, 393x720
>>46590640
Try to get him into your magical realm. Tell all the other players, but not him. See what happens.
>>
File: redro gondola.jpg (48 KB, 604x403) Image search: [Google]
redro gondola.jpg
48 KB, 604x403
>>46592355
are you me?
>>
File: How to be a Game Master.png (78 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
How to be a Game Master.png
78 KB, 500x375
>>46591933
>it seemed that all major plot convos to the diplomacy character

Most groups end up with a sort of team captain, who is the main conduit between the players and the GMs. Sometimes it's the person who does that job best, but it can also just be the person the GM likes most, or the person who is the most bossy, so whether the role is helpful or harmful varies a lot.

The best GMs will avoid playing favorites or letting annoying players dominate the group, but few of us are perfect.
>>
File: takin the knot.jpg (46 KB, 272x305) Image search: [Google]
takin the knot.jpg
46 KB, 272x305
>the rib-popping lung-expanding utter RELIEF of having 4 characters who are all so fucking chatty and into it and playing off of one another you have to scramble just to keep up with the talk during game

at the same time holy fuck does it make GMing tense sometimes when you think you missed like 5 questions or a roll or something
>>
File: You Can't Make Me Have Fun.gif (944 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
You Can't Make Me Have Fun.gif
944 KB, 500x700
>>46592355
Maybe the others honestly don't care. Or don't even notice. Like, I started a policy of awarding more XP for better roleplaying. Some players responded by trying to roleplay better. Others just accept less XP and never make any effort to change their ways at all. They don't even seem to notice, don't seem to care. Some people won't get into the game no matter how much you try to encourage them. And I guess they're happy that way.
>>
You guys ever have a player who is only interested in roleplaying very specific things and then tunes out entirely for everything else unless it's combat?
>>
>>46603419
Yup. Well, more what I got is a bitch player who sometimes wants to play ball and does so great and with skill, and sometimes he just fucking dumps and goes through the motions.

I dunno about anyone else, but I don't bring shit to the table, and hell, I don't WANT to. It's my time to have fun, it's stress relief, but some people just just a little stressed by life and shit themselves for effort when gameday comes.
>>
>>46603339
I hate to be that guy, but anyone have source on that pic? I just spent a good 20 minutes searching for it to no avail.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.