[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Setting red flags. >religion is invariably EEEEEVILLLL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 1459916988780.png (139 KB, 264x400) Image search: [Google]
1459916988780.png
139 KB, 264x400
ITT: Setting red flags.

>religion is invariably EEEEEVILLLL
>a token waifubait race exists
>everything wrong is humanity's fault
>>
>>46574933

>religion exists
>race exists
>humanity exists
>>
>>46575012
ITT: Setting red flags

>DM is using religion to make an IRL political point
>DM is using race to make an IRL political point
>DM is using humans to make an IRL political point
>>

>homebrew with orcs, elves and dwarves
>every culture is a ripped straight from real history and pasted over a fantasy race
>the race descriptions include typical sexual habits
>there's someone called Galen
>the setting is all written in pencil on loose A4 sheets
>>
>>46575139
>DM
>>
>>46575139

>DM is making an IRL political point
>>
>>46575220
Does it bother you that my setting is written down on loose A4 SQUARED paper...
>>
>>46575328

It bothers me more that you have orcs, elves and dwarves, champ. :^)
>>
>>46575474
Is it that you have just seem them too many times and want something different?
>>
>steampunk
>>
Muh setting:
>1: No.
>2: What do you consider 'waifubait'?
>3: Fuck no, everything was dandy until the magic system had to be modified to make sure the incoming pantheons didn't try to hack out their old grudges there. That didn't work out.
>>
>>46574933
>Steampunk setting
>Cyberpunk setting
>Memepunk setting
>>
>>46576634
What's a Memepunk setting?
>>
>>46576272
>>46576634
...Does Mecha count as steampunk if it takes place in an early 1900s setting?
Because I had a really awful idea just now.
>>
>>46576634

The sad part is that I bet you play WoD or an official DnD setting without any qualms.
>>
>>46576722

Aztecpunk

Nanopunk

Planckpunk

Christpunk
>>
>>46576496
>What do you consider 'waifubait'?
Catgirls. Asari. Basically any all-female race that's not some feminist wet dream.
>>
>>46576792
Is Christpunk a setting where everyone is Jesus or what?
>>
>>46576802
>Asari. Basically any all-female race that's not some feminist wet dream.
I'll let that joke pass.
We have rabbitfolk, djinn, and the obligatory aquatic race.
>>
>>46574933
>furry race that can't do wrong
>megacorp that controls literaly everything
>pseudo-japanese names
>>
>>46576722
Like if the internet was a planet.
>>
>>46576996
Alternia?
>>
>>46576910
>>pseudo-japanese names

Tallgentleman Fortunehill?
>>
>>46577068
No, something like Tokio Konodioda
>>
>>46577162
>di

Spotted the fake. Korean memes/10, would not fold 1000 times.
>>
>dick
>dick!
>DIIIIICK!
>>
>>46577162
>Tokio Konodioda
I need to make an incredibly suspicious, definitely-not-a-vampire NPC who is completely innocent just to see how far I can run with it.
>>
File: Dick.jpg (69 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
Dick.jpg
69 KB, 500x496
>>46577242
>>
>>46575139
>>46575257
>setting author making a political point.
Can't judge a setting by a DM running it. A shitty DM can ruin a masterpiece setting.

>>46576910
You got damn close to triggering some legit PTSD there, anon. I nominate this as top red flag.
>>
>>46577686
>You got damn close to triggering some legit PTSD there, anon.
I'm curious now. If you're not too triggered, storytime?
>>
>>46577686
Like, as in a race consisting of nothing but furry Mary Sues?
Or a 'noble savage beastfolk who are definitely not a Native American allegory guis' race?
>>
>>46574933
Had a game where the DM explained that the concept of religion as a whole had been irrefutably been disproven in his setting. Divine magic was just another kind of arcane. If you insisted on playing an 'old, superstitious type cleric' you had to be evil because you were intentionally supporting ignorance over reason.
>>
>>46581318
Jesus fuck. That's the most fedora fedora I've heard about
Lrn history niggers
>>
>>46581374
Whether this is true or not, it's bait. 1/10 made me reply
>>
>>46577686
C H A K A T S
H
A
K
A
T
S
>>
>devs used numbers to explain something magic or bullshit tech

Nope.

Just fucking nope.
>>
File: 1425006171789.jpg (12 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
1425006171789.jpg
12 KB, 236x236
>>46581374
Copypasta.
I don't care if that's true, it's annoying as fuck that someone keeps posting it.
>>
>>46576634
>Memepunk setting

The memes are real.
They were always real.
Meme wizards have always manipulated the society, brewing their virus-like memes that have infected the masses with dangerous ideas.
It is they who are responsible for the fall of Carthage, for the medieval Crusades, for the French Revolution, for the existence of communistic movement. They shaped the history and controlled the destiny itself.

And yet, in the current days, with the advent of the Internet, thanks to the existence of instant communication and transmission of ideas and echo chambers that reinforce the memes, the memes infect the masses instantly, like a violent outbreak. It is now possible to create a potent meme accidentally. No longer do the meme wizards have absolute control over the memes anymore.

The proverbial 15 minutes of fame. The survival of the fittest. Memes birthing and dying in small echo chambers, unknown to the rest of the world, and memes that appear out of nowhere and engulf the entire world.
The memetic infosphere has become overpopulated, and the lesser memes are instantly extinguished, unable to compete with their greater counterparts.

The time of change is now.
The memepunk is already here, and you can't do anything to stop it.
>>
>>46584385
Baneposting rules eternally on his throne of crashed planes.
>>
>>46574933
>You can't play X because in my setting they're inherently enemies with Y
>If you want to play A, then you have to believe/cannot believe B
>There are no humans in this setting
>>
File: tumblr_n5sfclMW7L1re6nxeo1_400.gif (1 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5sfclMW7L1re6nxeo1_400.gif
1 MB, 400x300
>>46574933
>Starts Red Flag setting thread
>Proceeds to describe real life
>>
>>46575220
>>homebrew with orcs, elves and dwarves

What ends up happening is that those archetypes just manifest in another name and "original" race anyway. Just ask Science Fantasy
>>
>wolves/foxes or wolf/fox people play an important rule in the setting
>there is a race that is "inspired by japanese culture"
>classic Tolkien races are included but unrecognizable (my elves are tiny little cannibals who drink blood!)
>"original" races who are just differently colored Tolkien races (Aleuhurai are blue humanoids who live in forests and have powerful magic)
>>
>>46574933
>>religion is invariably EEEEEVILLLL
>He can't enjoy a setting where everything is awful and there are no good things.
>>
File: Anon's Post OST.jpg (14 KB, 143x169) Image search: [Google]
Anon's Post OST.jpg
14 KB, 143x169
>>46584943
>>
>>46576866
>I'll let that joke pass.
>the obligatory aquatic race.
LIAR
>>
>>46585131
Real life is edgy fambo.
Please understand that.
>>
File: edge 2 the sharpening.jpg (79 KB, 484x336) Image search: [Google]
edge 2 the sharpening.jpg
79 KB, 484x336
>>46585243
Real life is edgy.
Your understanding of how real life works is monomonocularly edgy.
>>
>>46584943
>waifubait race
>>
>>46585289
>asians/whatever ethnic group the gm gets off on
>>
>>46585207
But dolphins are all-male, anon.
>>
>elves, dwarves, halfings/hobbits, gnomes, orcs etc. (the fact that GM didn't even bother his races to have original names usually means something)
>fantasy japan/animeland
>beast races (usually furries)
>vampires (usually means goth/emo shit)
>steampunk
>no guns, but still high technology level enough for them
>magitech (usually not done well)
>race that is "always chaotic evil"
>dragons
>dungeons that are actually called dungeons
>GM says that setting is medieval
>GM says that setting is grimdark/noblebright
>wizards have pointy hats
>resurrection magic
>"It's Magic. I Ain't Gotta Explain Shit."
>>
>>46574933
>country run by benevolent necromancers/liches where the people don't have to work
This or any other sign of fa/tg/uyness is about as red as it gets.
>>
>>46586002
>having taste this shit
>>
>>46574933
>religion is EEEEEVIL
>science is EEEEEVIL
>humans are the most boring and useless race
>sci-fi races are very human-like both physically and psychologically, just different skin color, tentacles for hair, etc. Bonus points for half-breeds.
>almost anything furry related
>>
>>46586031
What do you mean by this?
>>
>gothic catholic ripoff religion with not!inquisition and not!templars
>>
>>46577068
My elf uses the common translation of his name which is dengar appleford
>>
>>46586125
Anon is ashamed of themselves and their hobbies.
>>
>>46575220
>homebrew with orcs, elves and dwarves
Sounds pretty cool as long as that is the totality of all sentient fauna in The entire setting. Let's face it, those three have an interesting thing going and it is totally ruined by the addition of humans.
>>
File: 1457110290473.png (85 KB, 312x332) Image search: [Google]
1457110290473.png
85 KB, 312x332
>>46574933
I feel like there needs to be gradation, but from least to most cancerous:
>Magic is dangerous past the point of ever wanting to use it ever
>Nature is inherently benevolent, with no exceptions
>A portal from our world to...
>Druids keep the whole fucking world in balance
>Notchristianity is the only religion that ever fucks up or does something horrible for arbitrary reasons, all the other ones are bastions of perfection that never cut a clit or demolished an entire city for no fucking reason, it's just lazy
>Guns are advanced to the point of having cartridges and magazines, but swords bows and crossbows are still around (in the fable 2 sense, this of course excludes mad max-esque settings)
>Humans done did fuck up everything
>The above statement, but only the white ones
>Clearly based on star wars
>Setting based in Pathfinder lore
>More than 2 katanas in any given place
>Cute friendly sidekick monsters directly lifted from a jrpg
>The phrase "This is a serious setting" or "This is a realistic setting"
>The above statement, followed by ladyknights
>Steampunk
>Furries
>Clearly based on the new star wars
>Clearly based on the star wars prequels
>Drow have been retconned into something pseudo justified and realistic, and are thus in essence not drow
>Vampires in general
>The word 'gritty' used more than once
>VIKINGS everywhere
>Everything has a distinctly negative name, "The scientists, who evidently don't have a PR department, have found a singularity called the screaming void, and in it is a dimension called the howling dark, and there's a planet called badscare 5, and that's where humanity will begin anew"
>Seriously, dude, no one wants to play this fucking game, why can't we just go to the weed and sluts nebula?
>Noble Savages
>Low magic, low fantasy, basically mundane Medieval Scandinavian Egalatarian Femparadise where the Shieldmaidens exist protect
>Non-loli Little girls who want you to play with them
>>
>>46586444
I couldn't have put it better. Might disagree on the order but basically everything I hate about other peoples settings is on there.
Might add one or two, like "GM's obvious biases towards/against certain things".
I.e. current GM hates elves and loves dwarves, which is why basically every dwarf is an honest, brave warrior, and every single elf is an arrogant, cowardly terrorist or terrorist sympathiser.
Like my current GM
>>
>>46586444
>>Guns are advanced to the point of having cartridges and magazines
Is this excusable if there is no real mass production or combat in setting?
>>
>>46586300
>Anon is ashamed of themselves and their hobbies.
No, he's ashamed of this board.
>>46586444
>star wars
Really? That happens? I mean, my setting SORT OF has the Force, but more in how it exists in various New Age writings.
>>
>>46586560

Oh well fair enough then.
>>
>>46586551
What exactly do you mean? I feel like those are mutually dependent factors.
>>46586560
that alone doesn't wholly capture what a cheap feeling it gives me, but I've played a few games that were CLEARLY meant to be star wars games with all the names and concepts cut out and swapped. It's a bit depressing, like when a wrestling heel insults the local sports team kind of feeling.
>>
>>46584385
Metal Gear Solid 2, in other words? That's such a bad idea that I may have to steal it.
>>
I dislike "political agenga"settings.A single way of life is presented as objectively superior and all others are"misguided" at best.One of the benefits of tabletop rpgs are that you can play all kinds of characters,but that is taken away if the setting only allows one type of personality.
>>
>>46586865
I know a GM who does that.
Do you like Dwarves?
>Well this is the game for you.
Do you like non-dwarves?
>Well, get used to dwarves, because most plot-lines revolve around them.
Do you like Elves?
>Fuck you, dwarves are better, and I will hammer that point home in every single session!
>>
>>46575220
Care to explain why writing in pencil on loose A4 sheets is bad? It's the only form of writing I use with a folder, though
>>
File: Men_Laughing_With_Salad2.jpg (138 KB, 302x397) Image search: [Google]
Men_Laughing_With_Salad2.jpg
138 KB, 302x397
>>46577162
>Tokio Konodioda
>>
>>46586002
>implying anyone will care if the race has an original name or not
>implying players won't still call your Aelfdar or whatever bullshit you called them elves
>>
>>46586002
>>wizards have pointy hats
Go fuck yourself. Wizards without pointy hats might as well not be wizards at all.
>>
>>46586865
>>46586963
If your GM limits you to only playing a single race, and makes all the NPCs members of that same race, and then has every NPC act according to that race's overriding stereotype, they're either an idiot or running interactive satire.

Having a setting where only one race is present should be a massive wake-up call to stop making all members of that race into 1-dimensional stereotypes. If you're running a game set in a world dominated by Dwarves, then it should be patently obvious that an entire society of grumpy alcoholic miners would never get anything done.

There have to be farmers as well as soldiers. There have to be artists as well as engineers. There have to be commoners as well as nobles. And all these Dwarves are going to have different lives, different experiences, different beliefs and worldviews. It's entirely possible for there to be a Dwarf who is happy and optimistic, shaves their beard regularly, can't stand the taste of beer, and admires Elves for their elegance and mystique. They might be an extreme outlier, but there's no reason they couldn't exist.
>>
>>46587002
How many guys have you seen calling Dunmer dark elves or Dwemer deep elves?
>>
>>46587103
None.
>>
>>46586002
Why are you such a faggot, anon ?
>>
>>46587101
Oh, there are other race options, and other races present, but a disproportionate amount of the important people are Dwarves, and it is repeatedly shown that dwarves are the best at everything.
Dwarves are the best architects, Dwarves are the best fighters, Dwarves are the best engineers, so far the best healer the party has encountered was a dwarf, the best cavalry were dwarves riding mountain goats, the best armourers were dwarves, the best weaponsmiths were dwarves; provide a category, and chances are a dwarf was the best at it.
Hell, my character was a gunslinger, and as far as the party was aware, I was the only person in the region to possess a firearm (suggesting I was the only person who could make them) I was still told that dwarves were better gunsmiths than me, even though no dwarf we'd met so far had owned one, and the only one who even recognised the technology talked about them as though they were near-legend.
And the elf-hate is real too. Almost every elf encountered as either been a terrorist or a terrorist sympathiser. To date, no elf who was important enough to be present for more than five minutes or have a name has not been a terrorist. Their motivations don't even make sense.
Why are they trying to kill the king? The in-character and out-of-character explanation was basically "Fucking elves".
>>
>>46584385
>Meme wizards have always manipulated the society, brewing their virus-like memes that have infected the masses with dangerous ideas.
>It is they who are responsible for the fall of Carthage, for the medieval Crusades, for the French Revolution, for the existence of communistic movement. They shaped the history and controlled the destiny itself.
>Snow_Crash.jpg
>>
>>46574933
Why don't you like 40k bro?
>>
>>46586125
I mean that while I'll post with you, I don't want to play with you.
>>
Everybody has managed to skip over the largest red flag of them all.

>Missed the point of abstraction
>>
>>46575220
>>there's someone called Galen
You what?
>>
File: ahhh.png (45 KB, 406x455) Image search: [Google]
ahhh.png
45 KB, 406x455
>>46586444
>The above statement, but only the white ones

So you mean... real life?
>>
File: 1373203467327.jpg (512 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1373203467327.jpg
512 KB, 1280x720
>>46584385
You're almost literally describing the Metal Gear Solid series.
>>
>>46574933
Do you ever get tired of bitching on the internet?
>>
>>46587103
About as many as I've met who plays TES tabletop.
>>
>>46588828
Its funny how you think its not the fucking muslim.
After WWII many were send to the middle east to get them out of europe. Back then they were civilized, but the generation(s) after learnt the way of the sandnigger. Now they are all comming back. And the 5 who work in our country are being used as an example that they are here as political refugees looking for a steady job and a safe place to live.
Have you been in major european cities lately? Some parts are dangerous to enter as a citizen of your own country. Most of which due to immagrants who hate the country THEY came to live in...
Funny how I grew up in a civilized place, and I can't even visit the birth-home off my father because europes biggest terrorists live only 3 doors down.
>>
>>46574933
>not an ERP but it has playable females
>>
>>46589165
Learn to fucking spell and fuck off, not necessarily in that order.
>>
File: chastity_pistols.jpg (150 KB, 565x650) Image search: [Google]
chastity_pistols.jpg
150 KB, 565x650
>>46576830
I have no idea.
>>
File: 1417472626004.jpg (5 MB, 1400x4935) Image search: [Google]
1417472626004.jpg
5 MB, 1400x4935
>>46576830
Christian apocalyptic groups often believe that a totalitarian one-world-government will form until the control of the anti-Christ (or rather, they believe this government is already in the early stages of being formed), as predicted by some interpretations of Revelations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Order_%28conspiracy_theory%29#End_Time

A "Christpunk" setting would be something like Left Behind or this CYOA, taking place under the overarching control of this Satanic government. The "punks" in the setting would be Christian rebels or patriotic militia groups fighting back against the various Satan-controlled forces.

Alternatively, it could take place in the period that comes after that, where Jesus is said to take over the world for 1,000 years. In this "Christpunk", the "punks" would be Satanic rebels or patriotic militia groups fighting back against various Jesus-controlled forces.
>>
>>46589354
>they believe this government is already in the early stages of being formed
>muslims and blacks afforded more rights daily

It checks out. When even Christian nutcases think the SJW are a problem, it's high time we did something about it, don't you think...
>>
>>46588828
Jews aren't white.
>>
>>46589354
Hmm... I read the entire Left Behind series when I was in high school. I bet I could make a D&D campaign focused around the Book of Revelation work fairly well. Thanks, anon!
>>
>>46589354
Would this be pre- or post-Rapture?
>>
>>46588947
See >>46586651
>>
>>46589354
but, this sounds cool as fuck to run
>>
File: Millennial_views.gif (7 KB, 599x493) Image search: [Google]
Millennial_views.gif
7 KB, 599x493
>>46589772
Generally post-Rapture. It's the second of these charts. The tribulation is the period where they believe the anti-Christ rules the world, the millennium is the period where Jesus takes over.
>>
>>46588828
>>
>>46590013
Hmm. You could get a lot of good mileage for a story out of finding out the fucking Rapture just happened. Long enough post-rapture and you start getting a vaguely post-apocalyptic setting.
>>
>>46590086
Well there is Left Behind, but LB is awful and written by a pair of giant terrible idiots.
>>
File: 1387672108884.jpg (104 KB, 682x600) Image search: [Google]
1387672108884.jpg
104 KB, 682x600
>>46590075
>Filename
>>
File: abstract kind of cancer.jpg (223 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
abstract kind of cancer.jpg
223 KB, 900x675
>>46586002
holy shit fucking kill yourself
>>
>>46586002
commit ritual sudoku with a chainsword
>>
>>46586002
>elves, dwarves, halfings/hobbits, gnomes, orcs etc. (the fact that GM didn't even bother his races to have original names usually means something)

I heard Games Workshop would love to hire people like you

I will murder you
>>
>>46586002
I get the sense you just don't like fantasy.

It's fine if you don't like fantasy but those aren't red flags. Like maybe the only one I'd call a red flag is animesque settings and that's only if the group doesn't actually like animesque settings, otherwise there's no problem with it other than it not being my thing.
>>
>>46586444
>>Drow have been retconned into something pseudo justified and realistic, and are thus in essence not drow
So you mean Dark Elves in general? Or "They are still Drow, but not psychotic, I swear" kind of attitude?
>>
>>46587506
2 thirds of the way through that I thought your DM was a dick.

Then the last line made it all hilarious.

Maybe you should just join in on the YOU KNIFE EARED PIECE OF SHIT.... meme?

FUCKING ELVES!

FUCKING TERRORIST ELVES!

PROBABLY HOMOSEXUAL TERRORIST ELVES TOO!
>>
>>46586444
So space opera is basically off limits then? Never seen a space opera post-1977 that wasn't at least partially based on Star Wars. Are you sure you aren't just a bitter Trekkie?
>>
>The setting is like [era], but with [technology level completely inappropriate to that era]

You see this in steampunk and dieselpunk a lot. People don't think through how fantasy technological advances would change the way people did shit at the time. For instance, it's not uncommon to see WW1 trench warfare in fantasy coexist with technologies that obsoleted trench warfare, because lazy writers and GMs don't bother to think through how new ideas or technology would change things.

I had to explain this once to someone who didn't get why mechs and power armor were fucking stupid in a WW1 setting, even if a wizard does it.
>>
>>46592979
I think he means when drow (although I don't see why this doesn't apply to every race) are changed so heavily that they no longer encompass the spirit of the original and may as well just be called something else.
>>
>>46593359
However Warcraft did, between games they learnt it was quite sensible to focus less on industrial warfare and more on "heroes" which are essentially walking nukes.
>>
File: 97262-demotivator-unique[1].jpg (125 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
97262-demotivator-unique[1].jpg
125 KB, 1600x1200
When a setting has a bunch of random special snowflake homebrew races in a shitty attempt to be "unique."

>b-b-but being unique is good I'm not just ripping off Tolkein
There is literally nothing wrong with using staples. If you want to be creative and unique, try thinking through them in new ways, or using them to explore new ideas. If you tell me some character is an elf, I know what an elf is. Maybe elves in your setting are a little different, but they're generally physically diminutive, magically powerful humanoids with pointed ears who usually live in harmony with nature or some shit like that.

I'm not even talking about obvious expies of staple races, I'm talking about when people have so much zeal to never do anything that's been done before that they end up abandoning all common ground and convention and creating some incomprehensible snowflake that we have no point of reference with which to understand it. This approach betrays a lack of comfort and skill in telling stories and fundamentally mistakes uniqueness for creativity.
>>
>Native Americans, or a group obviously standing in for Native Americans, are peaceful enlightened people who live in small tribes in harmony with nature and reject the greed and militarism of western civilization, even though actual native americans lived in cities and were often just as expansionist and militaristic
>Noble savages, magical negroes, or spiritual tribals have something to teach us
In general,
>attempting to force fit modern political or social concepts into historical settingsnot suited to them

Marxists used to do this a lot, retroactively deeming historical rebellions and so on as class struggles. You still see it a lot nowadays, though class struggle has become deprecated, nowadays it's usually one of three things:
>Anticapitalism (in settings before free market capitalism was the dominant form of economy)
>Environmentalism (especially in "gaia's revenge" type settings)
>pushing modern, or at least Enlightenment-era thinking on topics like civil rights, individualism, or slavery, well before those ideas caught on and were popularly accepted
>>
>>46593880
>pushing modern, or at least Enlightenment-era thinking on topics like civil rights, individualism, or slavery, well before those ideas caught on and were popularly accepted

Isn't it hilarious though? you're supposed to feel sympathy for a Paladin who sells her one-of-a-kind almighty divine sword (to evil capitalist demons!) so she can purchase a transgender potion and a Chaotic Good Drow who murders and outright genocides innocent Gnolls for luls.
>>
>>46593880
>slavery
I'll admit I'm a bit guilty of this, if only because the nation that does have slavery is the only one that 'really' does- everyone else is either a peasant serving a lord, part of a guild, or sells what they make at market. There are indentured servants outside of the area, but no 'true' slaves outside of the criminal underworld.
>>
>>46594370
It's fine not to have it or at least deemphasize it as it's one of those things where, outside of /pol/tards at least, you really can't portray it casually and "slavery is bad" is just a tired message not worth focusing on.
>>
>>46589239
oh wow someone's mad
>>
>>46594463
I've made it a plot point for the conflict in my setting (make your Civil war jokes now) not because people don't think it's evil (which they do), but because they think that the transition would destroy the nation.
They had very good reasons to believe that, given that they were placed right between orcs and not!Mongols, with even more barbarians directly east. Pair that with the fact that it earns a shitton and there's been a prophesy that the apocalypse will occur in the near future, and the king has every reason to believe that they need to keep slavery until 'the time is right'.
His son, however, doesn't buy into his father's 'excuses' at all, mostly because he doesn't believe the prophesy (he's only heard it from, natch, his father) and he has a stronger sense of justice.
>>
>>46594463
uwotm8
>>
>>46587506
Become Dwarf Hitler and see if he gets a boner as you describe literally gassing elves to protect the purity of the Dwarven master race.
>>
>>46589389
You are either being sarcastic or a fucking idiot.
>>
>>46593880
I'm a marxist and in my pseudo-early modern fantasy game, the political radicals are all pro-capitalists.
Essentially, it's meant to vaguely be set in a transition between mercantile feudalism and capitalism.

So the terrorists and whatnot of the setting are fighting for universal rights to property ownership and destruction of trade regulations and the guild system. They're generally a coalition of non-guild skilled laborers, peasants and smuggling involved merchants. Which is admittedly moving things more towards the early enlightenment period.
A big conflict in the setting is also between the crown and the birth of international finance. The crown is incapable of having sovereign debt and can requisition things while bankers are starting to hire mercenaries and cause trouble since they want the crown to have to pay debts like everyone else does.

And the only people who even conceive of human rights, democracy and all that are fringe intellectuals.

The only real class based thing you're going to see in the late middle ages were the various peasant uprisings and conflict between the growth of cities and agricultural nobility.

Bigger thing that bugs me though is
>middle ages
>nobility don't seem to actually do anything, mayors and democracy everywhere, modern justice system, the economy is essentially jeffersonian capitalism
>>
>>46595372
>Essentially, it's meant to vaguely be set in a transition between mercantile feudalism and capitalism.
>the political radicals are all pro-capitalists.
...What? I don't get it.
>>
>>46576766
Think of just how shit you find all those settings.
Remember that they had some amount of Quality Control going on there.
Homebrew GM? He's going to make something *worse*.
>>
>>46595563
>Remember that they had some amount of Quality Control going on there.

Actually remember they didn't and that's why the franchise crashed and burnt?
>>
>>46595414
not him but,

capitalism was merely a thought before America

in the middle ages and whatnot all prices were set by the country, which humorously explains why games like dragon quest have every town selling copper swords and whatnot for the exact same price
>>
>>46577686
Storytime or bust.
>>
>>46595414
They're proto-capitalists. Land ownership rights are generally restricted and a nobility only thing in a lot of the setting. Sovereign debt isn't a thing which exists and the vestiges of the manoral system still exists.
So the political radicals argue for an expansion of property rights and sometimes for free trade since mercantilism is a bit of a thing.

Think dutch republic types opposing the house or orange in a setting that's barely out of feudalism.

If you look at radicals and revolutions in the mid-1500-late1700 periods then proto-liberal capitalists ideas about market freedom, universal right to land ownership and forming republics are commonalities in that time.
I'm conflating things from a couple hundred years apart from each other but it's overall more based in history than "workers revolution forming commie land and fighting the king" or some such nonsense.
>>
File: maxresdefault[4].jpg (141 KB, 1796x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[4].jpg
141 KB, 1796x1080
>>46593880
>We're anarcho-syndicalists!

You should just bury any egregiously anachronistic political theories in quotes from this scene.

I realize quoting this movie in tabletop games is a shitty thing to do but so is pushing your retarded political theory in someone's game. Fight fire with fire I say.

>And here we see the violence inherent in the system!
>>
>>46595695
When capitalism occurs is heavily dependent on how it's defined. If you define it as universal property ownership rights, production for profit and ability to freely begin enterprises; then the ideas start popping up a lot earlier than america.
I'm basing my ideas that capitalism evolved over several centuries until it became recognizable as modern capitalism rather than it popping fully formed out of nothing into existence.
>>
>>46575220
Nazi Elves, Soviet Dwarves and Mongolian Orcs...you'd hate my setting.
>>
>>46575220
>every culture is a ripped straight from real history and pasted over a fantasy race
Eh, it's not inherently, always a bad thing.

I find it really strange how people hate that the First Order in the new Star Wars movie is basically the Space SS. Do they not remember that the Empire in the original trilogy were themselves just Space Nazis?
>>
>>46595980
>I find it really strange how people hate that the First Order in the new Star Wars movie is basically the Space SS. Do they not remember that the Empire in the original trilogy were themselves just Space Nazis?

that's the point. the main criticism of the new movie is that it was just a rehash of the originals, beat by beat.
>>
>>46596009
There's more than one criticism allowed per movie, you know. Some people criticized the First Order for basically being Space Nazis because they're too young to remember that Star Wars was always about Space Nazis.
>>
>>46574933
>prophecies are always true
>balance between good and evil must be maintained, for...some reason
>adventurer guilds exist
>>
>there are like 6 different kinds of currency in this setting, all with different exchange rates
I get that you're trying to be accurate but this is just a pain in the ass and a sign of serious autism.
>>
>>46595372
You, I like it.
Some marxists forget all the stuff he wrote about history of capital and try to implement what he wrote about XIX century to middle ages which is silly by itself.
Also it's kinda funny how those tendencies often engulf their approach to homosexuality, as socialists had a problem with homosexuality for a very long time in a way different world.
>>
>>46596009
>it was just a rehash of the originals, beat by beat.
When will this meme die, again?

It's similar, maybe even too similar, but it isn't a "beat by beat" remake.
>>
>>46596194
>balance between good and evil must be maintained, for...some reason
There are some flavors of Buddhism and a few other religions that tend this way but I've never seen a popular fantasy setting that actually explores the why or the philosophy or theology behind it. The problem is they still conceptualize good and evil the same way most mainstream Western theology does, mostly due to cultural familiarity, and yet try to awkwardly paste on that themes that don't make sense in that context.
>>
>>46594146
Are these examples from fiction or just something you've pulled out your ass?
>>
>>46596396
Those specific events?
The Paladin is from Pathfinder
The Gnoll murder thing is from Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>46584943
>the infinite horrors of nature
>humanity's fault
>the existence of entropy
>humanity's fault
You're one of those Abrahamic motherfuckers, aren't you.
>>
>>46576910
>>megacorp that controls literaly everything
You got something against real life?
>>
>>46590075
>neoliberilism
What?
>>
>>46574933
>orcs don't really seem to exist, but half-orcs do
>there is no underdark, but drow still exist
>elves are supposed to be rare, but are almost semi-common in practice and appear in literal droves at every brothel or harem
>gnomes and halflings are almost exclusively joke characters
>dwarves are supposed to be around, but never actually show up
>humans are just a jumble of nigh random aesthetics and cultural ideas with little to no real cohesion
>>
>>46596882
More like

>gnomes and halflings exist in the same setting
>>
>>46587506
So your GM is an idiot. Good to know.
>>
>>46596335
A lot of lefty types get too hung up with applying their ideological hangups onto history when marxist ideas are a pretty good toolkit for interpreting societies if you try not to force everything into the mold of 19th century capitalism.
As far as homosexuality goes, my games are a bit inaccurate in that regard since it varies between death penalty, couple year prison sentence if it's not on the downlow and "it depends on social class and sexual role".
Intergenerational extended families living in one roof are more common than nuclear families in my setting but as far as the gay thing, I didn't want to antagonize some of my gay players so I decided to have a variety of pre-modern sexual ideas being present. Having "it's okay to give your bro a handjob and it's just for funsies" is more common than actual gay relationships in my setting.
>>
>>46586377
Only if none of the players are good enough to convincingly roleplay worth a damn without using their races' usual traits as a crutch.

Tolkien was who made that sort of setting first, and everything's there for a reason. All the races are supposed to contrast HUMANS more than they do each other because Men (and hobbits by extension) are the only ones who even have free will. If you remove them as a point of reference, you have a bunch of stereotypical caricatures clashing with each other.
>>
>>46596024
But they weren't space Nazis. They were just some empire with WWI-style uniforms and random junk for insignia. We didn't get enough details to match them with any Earth culture, and the story was richer for it.
>>
>Magic exists in a modern setting yet the general public is none the wiser.
>Super heroes exist in a setting, yet the origin story and media attention is largely glazed over.
>Uses real-world setting with the above two taped on top with little or no effect.
>>
>>46597717
Sorry, but you're just wrong.

http://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-imperial-officers

Even fucking George Lucas called them Nazis in the 70s.
>>
>>46596024
Star Wars wasn't about space nazis then or now. *The EU* was what introduced space nazi elements (ERMAGERD THEY'RE RAYCISS AGAINST ALIUMZ AND HAVE HITLER YOUTH) but the closest they get in the films is being kinda Imperial Japan with British accents and German/Japanese uniforms.

seriously, do you not get how easy it'd be for them to put in one concrete nazi element into the movies? even the slightest hint of "we're gonna keep the aliumz from taking our jobs and women" would work, but there's not even the slightest trace of anything like that.

All they've ever said about the Empire's motives, or the First Order's motives, is "bringing order to the galaxy."

I would seriously NOT MIND if they made the Empire into nazis -- I would fucking LOVE any trace of motive for the Galactic Empire or First Order beyond something vague about order. Even if it is a dumb nazi motive, but so far we got nearly nothing.
>>
>>46597777
That setting is gre-

LUCKIEST QUADS SPEAK TRUTH
>>
>>46597803
>cites an article in which it states their uniform was based off German WW1 era uniforms

At least ya tried, kid
>>
>>46597917
>Even if it is a dumb nazi motive, but so far we got nearly nothing.

I think my favorite moment of parody ever was on SNL when Kylo said "He wants to finish what Darth Vader started!" "what exactly was that?" and there's no answer
>>
>>46597917
>Star Wars wasn't about space nazis then or now.
Oh come off it. They've always been space nazis. Even George Lucas called them Nazis as far back as the 70s.

And the first Order had a scene literally, LITERALLY, taken from Triumph of the Will.
>>
>>46598023
>They've always been space nazis.

Nah. Its the easiest thing in the world to have the imperials be given a nazi motive.

>And the first Order had a scene literally, LITERALLY, taken from Triumph of the Will.

So did the rebels, what's your point?

They have very vague aesthetic similarities if you squint really hard, but they were never given a trace of nazi motives.

Palpatine relied heavily on looking harmless and making people feel sorry for him (his homeworld being invaded and him being scarred in a jedi attack), and on armed insurgents trying to take over the government (the CIS scum and the jedi).

Something like the 40k Imperium would be way, way easier to paint as Natzees, as they do actually lurve genocide of aliens, but the GE and FO is never given a hint of such.

Except in the EU, of course, which has a really bizarre tone (bleeding heart good guy jedi and nazi imperials).
>>
File: 1453738695816.png (200 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1453738695816.png
200 KB, 512x384
>>46597341
>Intergenerational extended families living in one roof are more common than nuclear families in my setting
>>
>>46598204
What I mean is that moving out of the house to "start your own family" is kinda rare. Most of the time, grandparents, children and grandchildren are all living in one house and when folks from different families marry; the wife moves in with the husband and her family probably lives down the road. Bigger focus on family patriarchs and matriarchs.

Pretty much the sorta family structure you see out in india or rural mexico. In the setting, young men moving to the city to work and send money to their family is still a bit of a novel thing and they're expected to move back to their village when they get married.
>>
>>46598159
>They have very vague aesthetic similarities if you squint really hard
Oh come off it. "If you squint really hard"? Why are you so intent on denying it? The creator of the franchise himself said they were space nazis. He directly said their look was taken from Nazis.
>>
>>46598204
It's like you've never been to Asia.
>>
>>46593205
No, space opera predates star wars.
>>
>>46592979
Trying to legitimize a society of bitches into a normal and reasonable culture is fucking retarded.
>>
>>46598254
>>46598322
I-I'm sure you're already well educated on the massive negative economical and social impact this type of collective households caused, right? It absolutely didn't produce a "it's okay to give your bro a handjob and it's just for funsies" culture.
>>
>>46574933
>races, cultures, classes, ect that are weird and different just for the sake of being different
Put some actual thought into how and why things are different from the "fantasy norm" instead of just going "LOOK AT ME I'M FUCKING ORIGINAL!" and making random bullshit that's just stupid.

>any race that's a noble savage
This has never been done well. Ever. Don't think you're any different.

>airships, steam engines, advanced machinery, and whole cities that run on magic
>NO GUNS BECAUSE IT RUINS FANTASY WITH INEVITABLE PROGRESS
Just kill yourself.
>>
>>46598413
>post-1977
>>
>>46598451
The funsies thing is more in tribal areas far off.
Even without christianity, the lack of children is the main source for discrimination against gay folks since children are a resource.
The gay handjob for funsies is an example of an outlier in the setting, the majority of the setting same sex sexual acts are illegal and the entirety of the setting, same sex relationships are discriminated against.
The gay handjob for funsies thing is more inspired by persian stuff where it's not gay to help a bro bust a nutt but sodomy is a sin and same sex romance is an abomination.
>>
>>46597917
>>I would seriously NOT MIND if they made the Empire into nazis -- I would fucking LOVE any trace of motive for the Galactic Empire or First Order beyond something vague about order. Even if it is a dumb nazi motive, but so far we got nearly nothing.
I disagree. The vagueness of the Empire and Rebellion were what made them universal and timeless. What is the Rebellion trying to establish? A Republic? They never say. They look like they're fans of democracy, but put Hobbes in the theater and he'd tell you they were legitimists trying to restore the proper order of their country. And he'd be able to get what's going on, too, he wouldn't have to rely on other movies or 20th-century history for it. Empire=blowing up planets to make a point=villain, Rebellion=trying to stop the empire=hero.
>>
>>46598256
>"If you squint really hard"?
I should say, if you squint really hard and can't tell WW1 and WW2 German uniforms apart.

>He directly said their look was taken from Nazis.

In the article provided they were inspired by an authoritarian pastiche, with WW1 German uniforms. Hence, if you squint really hard.
>>
>>46597341
>marxist ideas are a pretty good toolkit for interpreting societies
If you agree with Marxist axioms. Feminist ideas are a good toolkit for interpreting societies too, if you're down with the idea that women were property until twenty years ago.
>>
>>46598635
This. The Empire is every authoritarian ever. Lucas isn't trying to warn us about Nazis, he's just taking the convention of the villain looking evil and applying it evenly. Even if he did base them on Nazis, they never say Nazi things.
>>
>>46581318
I dont see anything wrong with that until the playing an old, superstitious cleric makes you evil bit.
>>
>>46581318
In that setting evil wouldn't necessarily mean puppy-stomping, then, would it?
>>
>>46598701
Well, you can't irrefutably disprove religion, that's literally impossible.
>>
>>46595100
He'd like that. Last Fantasy campaign I ran, all the PC's (of which he was one) started as Halflings, and his (the now-GM's) first statement of the entire campaign was that he wanted to become Half-ler (Halfling Hitler) and to purge all non-Halflings from the Halfling lands.
And it wasn't a joke. During the first session (also the last because they derailed the story beyond saving) he tried to murder human peasants by giving them a bomb in disguise, joined the bad guy because he shared some of his goals, and assisted another PC in murdering an elf in a cage.
>>
>>46598654
There's a difference between "fuck the bourgeoisie! workers are always oppressed!" and using economic materialism and change as a way to explain societal norms and change, or focusing on economic relationships. It depends on if you're trying to force an agenda or using it as a tool to understand societies.
Feminism is incredibly idealistic and if you focus on patriarchy in everything, it'll cause problems just as if you try to focus on tha ebil capitalists in a setting where economic relationships are completely different from capitalism.
The only controversial parts of marxism are the prescriptive rather than descriptive parts and labor theory of value.

If it makes you feel any better, austrian economics don't work for price prediction in a setting mainly because supply is inelastic and always lags behind changes in demand in a pre-industrial time period. But classical economics are overall good if you want to get crunchy on that front.
>>
>>46598654
And those same Marxist/feminist principles lead to widespread transphobia amongst leftists.
>>
>>46598923
It isn't even limited to transphobia, they absolutely despise Bisexuals too.
>>

>Furfags
>Furfags
>Furfags

Dragon waifus can stay, though.
>>
File: disdain for cavalry.jpg (20 KB, 281x585) Image search: [Google]
disdain for cavalry.jpg
20 KB, 281x585
>>46574933
>No Halberds

Fucking 0/10 cursed the group out, flipped the table, pissed in the cheetos and called the DM's mom a nigger lover
>>
>>46575257
I take it you can't stand John Milius
>>
>>46597777
>Superheroes exist
>They all have the same origin story
>>
>>46598947
>>46598923
sjw's and radfems are pretty much neo-liberals who have never studied economics.
They'd be fine with licking a boot if the boot had a long heel on it and was pink.
The idea that if you replace a white male with a black woman without changing their role in the economy, that this will have an actual effect on the structure of society is asinine.
>>
>>46575220
Who's Galen and why do you hate him?
>>
File: paracelsus.jpg (167 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
paracelsus.jpg
167 KB, 525x700
>>46599247
Because Galen was a fucking idiot.
>>
>>46584385
but meme magic is real, praise K E K.
>>
>>46594463
If you think "slavery is bad" is a tired message not worth focusing on, then you don't know much about the way the modern world works.

A party of chaotic goods should be opposed to slavery.
>>
>>46599397
>Spot the blm activist
>>
File: skeleyeah.gif (537 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
skeleyeah.gif
537 KB, 500x281
>>46598968
>Dragon waifus can stay, though.
I like you.
>>
>>46589389
/pol/ pls go
>>
>>46599247

It's not Galen himself, who was an classical Greek physician. It's because it's a name that crops up all the time in fictional settings, mostly fantasy and sci-fi. I'm not even kidding or exaggerating, it's everywhere. It's in Babylon 5, Star Wars, hundreds of other settings. I even saw it in Transformers G1, the old Headmasters arc. It's not even like it's a generic widely-used name like 'Arthur' either. It's more like if there were characters called Gilgamesh or Boudicca everywhere.

Maybe the sound is just pleasing to people, I assume it's that and not everyone giving a shout-out to the Four Humours. But either way, I'm pretty sick of it and will pretty much hate any character with the name on principle.
>>
>>46599397

Not to mention there are lots of ways the "slavery is bad" thing can be done, especially if you're focussing on different forms of slavery and contrasting them with the lot of various 'free men' in the setting.
>>
>>46599469
>WE HOLD THESE TRUTHS TO BE SELF EVIDENT
>ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL
>AND ARE ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR WITH CERTAIN INALIENABLE RIGHTS

Go back to fucking Europe, or Shitstainistan, bootlicker.
>>
>>46599727
I'll say sorry that your constitution is no longer recognized by anyone, but I won't take off my glasses.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>46585289
What if humans are a waifubait race for some ayylmaos
>>
File: 1304481110357.jpg (99 KB, 589x551) Image search: [Google]
1304481110357.jpg
99 KB, 589x551
>>46599783
That's not the Constitution, faggot.
>>
>>46599808
Noted and amended

I'll say sorry that none of the ideals in your declaration of no-taxes survived to today and the constitution you put in place to secure them is a formality and your rights are gone and your countrymen let it happen piecemeal, but I won't take off my glasses.
>>
>viking barbarians
>>
>>46599981
>Pirates attacking one of the few areas where any degree of literacy and a semblance of pacifism exists
>Raids
>Shit at decisive battles
>Not barbaric

It's like you think vikings are a people and not an activity
>>
>>46599894
>declaration of no-taxes
It was a Declaration of Human Rights, faggot. It's an enduring truth that will someday be realized by all of mankind, regardless of how much the bourgeoisie try to fuck with it.
>>
>>46586002
>>elves, dwarves, halfings/hobbits, gnomes, orcs etc. (the fact that GM didn't even bother his races to have original names usually means something)
What if for my first time DMing I just go with the races and creatures of D&D, with some changes? I want to make a detailed fantasy world but changing races altogether may be too much at first.
>>
>>46600073
Yes and the bostonians dindu nuffin, we get it.
>>
>>46587877
I have taste
>>
>>46600059
Just shut up you gigantic faggot, you've already derailed the thread. Not even that guy.
>>
File: 0,,16023671_401,00.jpg (71 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
0,,16023671_401,00.jpg
71 KB, 700x394
>>46595980
>>46596024
First off, you're a faggot.

Second, I didn't like the Nazi imagery because it was WAY too overt. Hux's speech to the troopers in front of the giant banners is just way too close to actual history for Star Wars.
>>
>>46575220
>the setting is all written in pencil on loose A4 sheets
You would hate me.
>>
>>46598460
>airships, steam engines, advanced machinery, and whole cities that run on magic
>NO GUNS BECAUSE IT RUINS FANTASY WITH INEVITABLE PROGRESS
Wait, what? How did they even rationalize that when the gun predates airships and advanced machinery?
>>
>>46581318
I'm overtaken with a strong desire to play in this setting as an evil cleric who is unabashedly based on Nazis.
On that note, any setting with not-Nazis as a faction.
>>
>>46600726
>How did they even rationalize that
they don't
>>
>>46574933
>I have an original race of squirrel people
>>
>>46600883
As in furries or as in horrible webcomic art squirrel people?
>>
>>46600726
>How did they even rationalize that
Here, I can try. It won't work well, but I can try.
>Sulfur isn't common enough, so gunpowder isn't made as easily
>No Chinese society to invent it
>Focus on engineering over alchemy in the renaissance
>Magic makes early firearms redundant
>>
>>46601191
>Magic makes early firearms redundant
If demigod-like power is something that is outside the purvey of wizards that interact with politics, guns have the logistical advantages that they had historically.

Cannons can still batter down castle walls in lieu of magic (fireball, stone to mud, etc) like catapults, you just need some form of bellmaking industry to make them.

Knights and cannons coexisted for several centuries
>>
>>46599397

Forced labor for evil prisoners is 100% acceptable by good alignment standards.
>>
>>46601350
Catapults really can't batter down castle walls, or for clarity's sake, can't collapse one the way a cannon can. They could do a lot of other really vicious shit, but we really don't have evidence of catapults bringing down a castle wall. A cannon can do it because it can attack the wall at its base, whereas most trebuchets and catapults are only good for taking out battlements on top of the wall. Kingdom of Heaven really derped the fuck out in that respect.
>>
>>46584556
and the Lost god, who was accidentally created by the cleric Buckley
>>
>>46589354
I'm and atheist and I'd play this. Sounds like just another fantasy setting to me.

Hell, it's kind of like Heavenly Sword. Except the bad guy isn't Satan. But he kind of is.

Anyhow. Sounds fun.
>>
>the dm shows a song that inspired the setting
>the dm says this video inspired the adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4&nohtml5=False
>>
>>46602257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R8viSgLTVM&nohtml5=False
>>
>>46602257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJp5nHxWEQ
>>
>>46602257
>>46602314
Red flags, not green lights.
>>
>>46601191
It's not the in-universe justification that's a red flag (though it can be), it's the specific OOC reason of guns somehow representing a fantasy killing level of progress, despite any and all other advanced for the times tech that also exists, that's a huge red flag.

And yes, people do that, just go to the archives and read any "guns in fantasy" thread and you'll see for yourself.
>>
>playing a d&d fantasy game
>suddenly a giant white orb falls from the sky
>a guy in armor comes out of it
>attacks the party with super speed, flight and shooting lasers out of his fingers
>after killing him, discover a wristwatch with two other people communicating with him
>they work for galactic warlord zarglatz and are coming to the planet in one year to rescue him
I signed up for fantasy goddammit.
>>
File: HEY.jpg (33 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
HEY.jpg
33 KB, 539x960
>>46574933
>religion is basically a company structure with the Gods as various heads and service providers depending on their spheres, and the Priests are essentially contract workers and reps

>multiple token waifubait races exist, shit pretty much everyone is one anyways, which has deformed the actual waifus into the burly scarred dudes

>everything wrong is actually one very specific person's fault and they're one of the player characters

I'm not sure if I'm red flagged, green lit, or just rolling right through a yellow with everyone staring
>>
File: 1443311323002.jpg (29 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
1443311323002.jpg
29 KB, 500x521
>>46590075
your going to have to try harder m8
>>
File: 1457215369623.jpg (57 KB, 800x569) Image search: [Google]
1457215369623.jpg
57 KB, 800x569
>>46602830
I think the best joke is that I'm playing GURPS, with a sort of mishmash setting inside of a time/space sargasso meltworld, and the fucking guns are lagging BEHIND the horrific melee capability of the assholes I GM for. I have never before so quickly begun to sketch out how I can con them into grabbing shotguns and automatic rifles before another sorry bastard ends up a cloud of blood after a round of combat and some good rolls.

In the end, once you run enough time in a setting that says "Ok fine, swords, guns, magic, PSI, have at it" you realize that they're all just murdertools and they don't give a fuck what they look like, as long as it MURDERS.
>>
File: 1455824049005.jpg (52 KB, 720x566) Image search: [Google]
1455824049005.jpg
52 KB, 720x566
>>46603115
>watermark

This is some next level shit you're pulling.
>>
>>46576729
That depends, how big of autistic hipsters are your players?
>>
>>46600073
Nobody gives two fucks about the DoI unless they think they can use it to weasel out of something.

You already sold your independence to China, anyway.
>>
>>46603214
>implying China isn't a massive garbage fire loudly insisting it's not burning to death as it no-whys stoically into absolute disaster

Ain't sayin' US is much better but fuck man China is *hot nasty trash* and couldn't steal independence or make good of massive debt if they ate all the goddamn tiger testicles and rhino horn in the world
>>
>>46574933
Quests that starts by "You are in a tavern"
>>
>>46603274
People don't seem to realize China is an export based economy that would quickly spiral into total collapse if it so much as hinted at fucking with their trade partners or their allies.
>>
>>46586031
As long as the tech of the setting was sufficiently high I wouldn't mind.

Either that or their legions of undead take the place of modern automation. Kind of hard to run a system of basic income without modern level tech at least. Unless you just hand wave 'magic'.
>>
>>46575226
If that's how that point felt, you DM for all the wrong reasons. Please never play, host or even acknowledge another tabletop game for tge rest of your life.
>>
>>46575220
>A4
>not using 8 1/2 x 11
>>
>>46585303
Elves are always just described as "humans, but everyone's lithe and feminine". There are ugly Asians - Filipinos for example. Elves can be done right but usually they're just designed to get Gary Gygax off.
>>
>>46584385
Sounds kinda like Unknown Armies to be quite honest with you.
>>
>>46586444
what the fuck does non-loli little girls mean and are you implying lolis aren't cancerous
>>
>>46577686
>Can't judge a setting by a DM running it.
A good DM won't run a shitty setting or will modify it to the point where it is no longer shitty.
>>
>>46599469
>implying Black people were the only ones in history to be enslaved
>>
>>46598968
I feel like scalies are basically the winos of the furfag community.
Also they're WAAY more annoying here on /tg/ with their kobold faggotry and dragon fucking. Both can stay in Roll20 where they belong.
>>
>>46586002
>no guns, but still high technology level enough for them
Literally D&D.
>dragons
Literally nothing wrong with these, even though they can be done wrong, I haven't found it to be common and the core idea is fine.
>>
>>46604106
>scalies are the winos
>not fucking monstergirl fags
>or /u/fags
>or femdom fags
>>
>angels and demons, heaven and hell exist
>Heaven is just boring bureaucratic hell with a palette swap, angels are all lawful stupid
>Demons are all cool-looking, charming anarchists
>Players told it's shades of gray but it's obvious Heaven and Hell are both evil and the cool neutrals that don't pick no sides are good
>>
>>46604132
Eh, you're right. At least they understand they want to fuck lizard people.
Monstergirlfags it is.
>>
>>46586444
>A portal from our world to...
>not entering the Asterene Gate to the : plane
>>
File: 1460286988638.png (215 KB, 600x1849) Image search: [Google]
1460286988638.png
215 KB, 600x1849
>>46584385
>>
>>46604148
SMT
>>
>>46604148
>angels and demons, heaven and hell exist
can be done well
>Heaven is just boring bureaucratic hell with a palette swap, angels are all lawful stupid
but this opens so many doors to both hilarity AND plot
>Demons are all cool-looking, charming anarchists
admittedly stupid
>Players told it's shades of gray but it's obvious Heaven and Hell are both evil and the cool neutrals that don't pick no sides are good
but for any one that doesn't believe in an abrahamic religion this is clearly the case, the bible and whatnot are written from perspectives of people that believe god is good and yet still seem to portray him as a murderhobo

>>46604198
kek
>>
>>46586511
It depends if they -always- do that or if it's just the current game.
You could happily have a game where the elves actually are terrorists. Or at least perceived to be by other cultures.
>>
File: Cultists.png (3 MB, 1080x667) Image search: [Google]
Cultists.png
3 MB, 1080x667
>>46593596
So, would you say that a faction such as the Cult of the Eternal End, the Ardent Mages or the Forgotten are bad?
>>
File: 1386282943455.gif (957 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
1386282943455.gif
957 KB, 500x418
>>46575012
>humanity exists
>Post-humanity Fantasy setting, humans specifically disallowed at creation because they are gone
>wait this is actually a good idea
>>
File: raw.gif (59 KB, 220x92) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
59 KB, 220x92
>>46603005

> mfw I pull this all the time
> mfw a player got mad because "paladins shouldn't have lightsabers"
> mfw I told her it was a Phaeton Blade and that lightsaber is a registered trademark of LucasFilm Ltd

By the end of that campaign I was doing it just to piss her off.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.