[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Witch Setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8
Okay so I’ve got an idea for a setting and would like to hear some critique.
No ruleset yet, just some rough ideas, because I don’t know much about that stuff.

Basically it's a mix of classical european witches with a fair dose of magical girls.

Setting would be in europe or north america between 1600 and 1800.
You would start as a young girl or boy with a daily life, like working on a farm or as a housemaid for a wealthier family.
Eventually you would get in contact with the “white witches” who basically do their thing, try to help people and get spiritual fulfillment or simply satisfy their curiosity.
However they also are at war with the “black/evil witches” who harm the people, made a pact with the devil and are partly at fault that witches get shit all the times(the other would be the church of course).

Now, it is possible for every white witch to become a black witch.
Doing certain things will push you more and more towards that path.
There are harmless things like using certain ingredients for potions(frogs and stuff) or reading in forbidden books(if you can read).
These things would be frowned upon by the white witches, but can get you already in real trouble if you are busted by the common people around you.
There are of course more severe things like blood rituals, cursing, magical manipulation(to make them do evil things) or using your magic to destroy the crop.
Things like that will give you a huge push towards the black witches. White witches probably will see you as an outcast and the common people might put you directly at the stake.
>>
>>46561457
cont.

It is a constant battle between doing good things but also being in permanent danger from getting busted by people who just see every with as something bad and therefore might support a “if they give me a hard time I will give them a hard time”-mentality within your character and of course the fights with the black witches but also the temptation of using magic only for you own good.

Threats from the common people could reach from your own family, wary town folks, preachers and even a whole inquisition and organized witch hunt.
As for fighting the black witches you would encounter young witches going renegade, witches who already made a contract with the devil, to full covens of multiple witches maybe even sitting in high position inside the society.

So what do you guys think?
>>
File: drunk witches.jpg (58 KB, 268x350) Image search: [Google]
drunk witches.jpg
58 KB, 268x350
>>
>>46561457
Sounds neat. I recommend using a point based good/evil (white/black) balance system to determine where each character lies. I like the idea of gray witches too.

If black witches get their powers from The Devil, where do white witches get there powers? Are there nonwitch magic users such as priests who can call upon God to undue curses and such?
>>
File: 87be8df6b50574e6d692e976a59892c8.png (1015 KB, 1080x1500) Image search: [Google]
87be8df6b50574e6d692e976a59892c8.png
1015 KB, 1080x1500
>Setting would be in europe or north america between 1600 and 1800.

Can we play witches who make France win the Seven Years' War?
>>
>>46561457
Where would other religions fit into this setting? I assume that if there are witches, then there must also be a Church of some kind.

If the players go too deep into black magic, don't be afraid to send a few Witch-Slayers and Crusaders their way
>>
>>46562705

It could function a an asymmetrical duality, rather than a mirrored one, like the Force in the original Star Wars trilogy where it's more described as the way while the Dark Side is seen as a corruption of it, the temptation.

White magic could simply be "Magic" with no descriptor, but Black Magic involves a pact with a more powerful entity of malicious intent, the Devil, in exchange for more outward power rather than internal and more gentle magical powers.

In this sense, Magic as employed by White Witches is the neutral of benevolent employ, the natural metastasis and balance, while Black Magic unbalances the equation by introducing an antagonistic and evil element. "White" magic could be seen as more shamanistic, and more in touch with Terry Pratchett's take on witches which is more in tune with nature and deals more with perpetuating systems and promoting healthy growth; more a gardener or shepherd than a magic user.

Yes, I'm borrowing a whole lot from Jedi and Terry Pratchett, but I'm actually just tuckered out by the idea that black needs a contrasting, mirrored white, which implies good and evil are simply one in the same in a setting where morality and immorality are not inherent, which runs absolutely contrary to the whole point of defining good and evil in the first place. Again, not that I would straight say morality/immorality is inherent to the universe, but that in a setting where they are defined it's dumb to not make them inherent.
>>
>>46562782
>witches who make France win
That hasn't been a thing since Joan of Arc.
>>
>>46563078

And this is a historical fantasy setting, not a straight interpretation of history.

I mean, we all like getting our Joan of Arc jabs in, but I'd honestly say she played some form of hybrid cleric/warlord with a specialty in party buffs and some tanking ability, not a witch.

The English only burned her as a witch because they're 3.PF cultists and didn't want to admit a martial gave them so much trouble through good roleplaying and tactical plays despite their SKR-like caster supremacy attitude.
>>
>>46563065
I almost mentioned Jedi. I think you have a perfect approach. Keep it up.
>>
>>46563078
eternal anglo please leave.
>>
>>46563065
It could also be humans interjecting morality on metaphysical forces. 'Black' witches could just be 'witches' that gain their power from pacts but are otherwise unable to use magic. Like, 'White' witches are born with the ability to use magic and their power varies wildly whereas 'Blacks' have to make contracts and sacrifices. As well, it needn't be the case that everything they contract with is malevolent it could just be humans hating what it is they contract with because...they're gods/demons/outer beings.
>>
Seems like an interesting idea. Though it should be said that the Catholic Church typically did not have anything to do with the witch hunts of old. If i remember correctly, the official stance was that witches with real powers simply did not exist. To them, witches were quacks at best, and con artists at worst. In fact, in many cases, the Church was known to try and PREVENT the local witch hunts, stating that the locals are accusing someone of using powers that simply were not real.
>>
File: 1458451028302.jpg (140 KB, 1000x541) Image search: [Google]
1458451028302.jpg
140 KB, 1000x541
>>
File: Witch_in_forest.jpg (178 KB, 775x900) Image search: [Google]
Witch_in_forest.jpg
178 KB, 775x900
>>
File: 1429866911150.jpg (333 KB, 1406x1000) Image search: [Google]
1429866911150.jpg
333 KB, 1406x1000
>>46562705

Rejection of the Devil and all his works but not acceptance of god as the prime mover because the metaphysics of the setting are a unitarian gnostic thing with no demiurge to explain creation, only satan as all father and ruler of the cosmos
>>
>>46566579
>Gnostic
>no Demiurge
I'm sorry?
>>
File: 1438038462236.jpg (33 KB, 432x720) Image search: [Google]
1438038462236.jpg
33 KB, 432x720
>>46566812

yeah you're right, that's church of satan's thing isn't it?
>>
File: firemage.jpg (245 KB, 1000x861) Image search: [Google]
firemage.jpg
245 KB, 1000x861
Was hoping for more discussion
>>
This could be a great premise for a quest thread.
>>
Any more ideas of how the magic system/general combat would work?
>>
>>46561457
I can barely think about something more generic
And I'm sincere here

>>46573049
There was witch-in-training quest by late August '15. Pretty decent one, too. Sadly, the quest runner disappeared when it was getting really, really interesting
>>
>>46575461
I'm actually reading the archived quests now. Really good
KNIFE WITCHES!
>>
OP here
Thanks for the input so far!

>>46562705
Yeah I thought about that. However I am thinking more of defensive and reactionary stuff like priests doing an exorcism when someone is cursed for example. Or blessing certain people and areas so it would be harder for witches to do stuff.
I think I wouldn't call it powers in the "traditional" sense. White witches just learn and do or have a natural talent. They get better with training. However a contract with the devil would give them a good boost in their abilities but would also greatly corrupt their character and mind.
And I had the same thought as you as for balancing black and white.
Some sort of indicator. Doing certain things would push you more or less into one direction.

>>46562788
Other religions you can encounter could be african shamanism(slaves) or indians(natives) when playing in north america for example.
As for Witch-Slayers/Hunters: Yes, if the witches in your game get to be a big thing something like that would probably happen sooner or later.

>>46563065
Very interesting stuff. I have to think about that some more. Thanks!

>>46564769
Those are some neat ideas!

>>46564856
Didn't know that to be honest. Will have to do some more research it seems. The church being on "your" side and trying to save you from angry villagers could start some interesting situations.

>>46575461
No problem.
Reading the archive now.

AS for fighting and using magic I don't know if going "shooting magic missile" and casting monsters is the right approach.
Maybe just for super powerfull witches.
The average witch would be more subtle. Brewing potions, that could be used. Manipulate stuff. A lot of indirect actions. (like destroying the crop and arming the people that way for black witches)
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.