[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this honestly the best real-life example of a dungeon ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: oak_island.jpg (46 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
oak_island.jpg
46 KB, 600x401
Is this honestly the best real-life example of a dungeon ever made, or what?

>Entrance was hidden underneath the ground in an inconspicuous location
>Sign warning of impending doom and of a riddle, all in a cryptic tongue
>Island-wide trap that when triggered, flooded the entire island making it almost impossible to get to the treasure
>Huge allusions to possible Templar treasure buried here
>Even modern science is having trouble finding and/or retrieving said treasure.
>>
And the DC for just about every check is 25.
>>
No that would be the Mausoleum of the first emperor of China, it's fucking huge, full of traps, and not even near being fully excavated with a dedicated excavation going since some time in the 1970s I think.

As where Oak Island is just a hole in the ground with some water traps that flooded it and caused it to fill in multiple times.
>>
>>46515156
Isn't that Mausoleum like only real life place that actually had things straight out of games like crossbow traps and even more amazing is that they still work.
>>
>>46515218
no there are no traps; its a story to scare looters,etc (like haunted tombs)
>>
>>46515218
>even more amazing is that they still work.
I never got this idiotic belief. Every cynic in the world likes to pick that detail apart about the "ancient dungeon full of deathtraps", but seriously, it's not like a modern computer where dropping the hard drive on accident from a height of 3ft or more will permanently scrap it into junk. We're talking a very simple mechanism of 1, maybe 2 moving parts made out of rope, stone, a weighted pully, and MAYBE some iron. All of which have NOT been moving at all since they've been placed and of which the entire unit is enclosed from the elements in a sealed underground passage.

Why WOULDN'T it still work after "all that time"?
>>
>>46515218
There aren't any functional traps that they have found that I know of, but there is a fuckload of mercury, that has seeped into the surrounding soil making it incredibly perilous.
>>
>>46515558
Poisonous, I believe the word is poisonous
>>
>>46515583
I meant the excavation is perilous due to the mercury, not that the soil is now all poisonous anon. I mean the mercury is poisonous but that was not what I was going for.
>>
>>46515373
Rust and rot anon, and 2,000 years is a very long time for a bow to remain fully drawn and ready to fire.
>>
>>46515733
Rust and rot only matters specifically at small portions of the mechanism and only really happen when exposed to the elements, and the rope isn't being worn down by moving or firing.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riptide_(novel)
Fiction novel about trying to find the treasure.
>>
File: the ultimate.jpg (9 KB, 250x205) Image search: [Google]
the ultimate.jpg
9 KB, 250x205
No, this is.

It was a discovery that captured the world's imagination and inspired our concept of mythical dungeons and dungeoneering.

Every dungeon you've ever cleared owes much of its existence to this.
>>
>>46515962
Are you going to explain that or is this an absurdist joke?
>>
>>46515898
Coincidentally, I've got a copy of that book sitting on my shelf right next to me right now. It was a fun read.
>>
>>46515652
Mercury vaporizes into the air at room temperature too. It does so slowly, but give a pool of mercury enough time in a confined space and you are looking at some pretty fucking horrible air quality. But it's still not methylmercury so at least there's that.
>>
>>46515987
From the description and that fact that it has burial chamber I'm fairly sure it's Tutankamon's tomb, but I haven't checked it up.
>>
>>46516025
>tfw idiots don't know that normal elemental mercury isn't even very dangerous unless you eat it or something
>tfw idiots don't know methylmercury is real and what it does
>>
modern science can't fin the treasure because there is none. Its a wackjob conspiracy theory.
>>
>>46516133
Not really conspiracy theory, since there is no conspiracy in it. It was just that that man made things (like a stone triangle) where discovered on the island and then there was (likely natural) sink hole that was thought to be a pit for buried treasure because it was close to man made features. Then people started digging it up and found some man made things, so it add more fuel to the fire and a legend was born.

Though there are conspiracy theories related to it like it being treasure of Templars, but those came after people started digging.
>>
File: Murder Castle.jpg (721 KB, 1500x1350) Image search: [Google]
Murder Castle.jpg
721 KB, 1500x1350
>>46515025
well there's the H.H. Holmes Murder Castle for one thing
>>
>>46516274
You have my interest. Tell me more.
>>
>>46516292
here you go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

http://harpers.org/archive/1943/12/the-master-of-the-murder-castle/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_in_the_White_City
>>
>>46516880
>>
>>46516274
That's a pretty cute picture to say its got the corpses of so many dead women in it.
>>
>>46515025
No, History Channel. Pls go and stay go.
>>
interestingly enough there's a bunch of scientists working on ways to ensure we don't accidentally turn our nuclear waste storage facilities into dungeons 3000 years down the line

because if the history of archaeology shows one thing its that the dire warnings of an ancient civilization have never stopped explorers from entering a place

only issue is our hidden vaults don't contain gold or kings, they contain death
>>
>>46515025
It's a natural sinkhole with a shitload of myth and nonsense piled on top of it
>>
>>46517597
Here's a doc about H.H.Holmes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ2AFSmf9QM
>>
>>46515759
It actually is, keeping a bow strung will fuck it up horribly even after a few weeks.
>>
>>46515987
It's Tutankhamen's tomb.
>>
>>46518346
much less pulled taut
>>
>>46516274
Man, back in the day you could build a huge three storey death castle full of shops and rooms to rent out and a whole system of greased chutes and lime pits to enjoy using false credit and scams. Back when America was truly free...
>>
>>46518299
Pretty good in-depth examination of the man and what he did.

http://cavecomedyradio.com/podcast-episode/h-h-holmes-part-i-the-horrid-meat/

http://cavecomedyradio.com/podcast-episode/h-h-holmes-part-ii-nothing-but-trouble/

http://cavecomedyradio.com/podcast-episode/h-h-holmes-part-iii-professional-uncle/
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.