[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How often do you actually get to high (ex. 20) levels in your games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: level20.jpg (70 KB, 628x500) Image search: [Google]
level20.jpg
70 KB, 628x500
Subject.

Personally I almost never get to do this in the games I play and it's really annoying.
>>
It's difficult to write good adventures for characters of such high levels.
Best level spectrum is 9-15.
Afterwards you may as well retire your hero. He'll be fighting only demons and beholders and other silly shit from thereon.
>>
The highest level I've ever seen in a campaign was 12, and that was because the game started there.

My rule of thumb for level systems is to take the full scale (20 in D&D), cut it to a fourth, and assume everything past that point won't happen unless the group is really good (so, no pick-up groups, no last-minute organized games, etc.). Anything past the halfway point I assume won't happen, period. Even with a really good group and no circumstantial fuck-ups, most campaigns just reach a natural, satisfying endpoint long before level 10.
>>
>>46505034
AD&D 10th level is nice cutoff point
>>
>>46505091
>Best level spectrum is 9-15.
you can't even do most of the cool shit classes get access to by 15th level.

and no i'm not talking about time stop and fell drain and shit with wizards. just ignore them entirely because i'm talking about other classes and abilities.
>>
Low levels are more fun
>>
>>46505530
i don't agree at all.
>>
Level 5-7 is probably best in terms of variety of quests. It doesn't make sense for a level 20 to be doing kind of regular shit, but I'd consider around there to be graduating into the big league, while still low enough to do some simple side quests.
>>
>>46505316
Maybe in WotC editions.

Along with that comes the issue of having to plan a character concept fifteen sessions in advance in order to get the prerequisites for a prestige class or something.
>>
>>46505034
My group manages it but that is only because our GM writes very long stories. He even will write our old charterers into new stories if they fit and we let him.
>>
>>46509653
>Along with that comes the issue of having to plan a character concept fifteen sessions in advance in order to get the prerequisites for a prestige class or something.
you're exaggerating and it's not like exalted is any better when it comes to charms and shit.
>>
>>46509927
I dunno the first thing about Exalted.

I found the CharOp/system mastery faggotry much more annoying than any of the "caster edition" issues that most folks jump on.

ie, slogging through a less fun feat chain to get the prerequisites, only to have the game end before you got the cool shit.
>>
>>46505034
I run my games with accelerated advancement, and the eventual reaching of high levels in mind.
>>
>>46505034
I never have either, and I'm pretty sure no one does.
>>
>>46505034
But picrelated is just knight in fantasy armor with flight (probably granted by god or any other high force)
You can easily fit this concept in ~150 points which is even lower than standard adventurer for dungeon fantasy.
>>
>>46516375
But he's holding a two handed sword in one hand and using a helmet with an open back.
Surely that means he's super strong and not afraid of losing HP.
>>
>>46516375
He probably has a good appearance and status, or rank. At the very least he should have some reputation.
>>
>>46505034
>playing a system with levels

>>46509927
>3.5 isn't bad because Exalted is shit!

That boy ain't right
>>
Highest we got was 11 or 12. At least with characters that started at 1
>>
>>46505034
But high level content sucks in caster supremacy edition.

In 3.PF the golden range is pre-level 8, unless you nerf full level casters in some significant way. I'm fond of limiting schools and putting them on bard casting with a slight bump up in spell slots.
>>
We've never gone higher than 15 before groups fall apart but in most DnD editions, a cursory glance over the higher end stuff it always feels like its getting fast and loose anyway. Like cohesive design stops mattering to them as much and they're throwing in the kitchen sinks.

It probably works because of how crazy the content would be, but I dunno for sure.
>>
>>46516679
>Like cohesive design stops mattering to them as much
Outside of 4e, cohesive design never seems to even start mattering to them.
>>
>>46516528
>playing a system with classes
>playing a system with ability scores
>playing a system with hit points
>not just achieving apotheosis and creating your own universe
Fucking 3.X players
>>
>>46519066

>Playing an RPG
>>
>>46505034
I'm playing a M&M game and my character just grew from PL10 to PL11

Shit is cash.
>>
File: nothin to lol about.jpg (103 KB, 500x387) Image search: [Google]
nothin to lol about.jpg
103 KB, 500x387
>>46505034
Thread highjack.
How often do you get above level 3?

I'm so tired of low level encounters. So many cool monsters I never get to see.
>>
>>46520817
currently playin in two ad&d games.

currently running a rogue 6/mage1 (spellthief) and a level 8 fighter (kensai) in another game. personally I really want the game to go all the way, but I have doubts that my dm will allow it simply because she doesn't believe games should run past a certain point.

The highest level I've had a character achieve was 25 in a 4e dnd game. shit was awesome.
>>
>>46505034
Oh stop crying. In my DM's campaign i rarely get to Lvl 2 before we switch to another obscure system.

Which is a shame because he's a very good GM who obviously puts alot of effort into his games.
>>
File: 1338512514925.jpg (39 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1338512514925.jpg
39 KB, 300x300
>>46520981
>very good GM
>i rarely get to Lvl 2 before we switch to another obscure system.
>>
>>46521085
I don't know why our campaigns are so shortlived, but each session is alot of fun, he puts alot of thoughts into a few select homebrew rules which arguably add to the campaign and setting and by the time he tells me that he's already preparing for our next campaign, i'm invested enough into the current one that i'm dissapointed that it ends, yet enthusiastic to try out a new system.
>>
>>46521141
Sounds shit. I hate playing level 1 characters or 1 session games before switching.

You fags must really enjoy reading tons of fucking rulebooks.
>>
>>46505034
I got up to about level 14 as an Eldritch Knight.

Then the DM started to bully me about a female character I made and harassed me until I quit his group.

I'm trying to DM a game that will get my group up to level 20, but the second they get near level 3, someone does something insanely stupid and they all die, or they decide they get bored/frustrated with things not going their way and we wind up switching campaigns.

Right now, playing curse of strahd, but we're taking a 2 week break because Magic pre-release and then a warmachine tournament is distracting them all.

I need better players.
>>
>>46521177
I kinda do
And it's not really one session games, a campaign usually lasts a few months, we just level up a little slow, our sessions are a bit short and around 1/4 sessions drop because not everyone can make it.
>>
I've gone into epic levels in Pathfinder. It was pretty damn silly but it had a great greek hero-king feel
>>
>>46521205
>campaign lasts months
>hardly get to level 2
You play once a month then.

and mastering new systems sucks.
>>
File: laughing_earthbound_characters.png (250 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
laughing_earthbound_characters.png
250 KB, 1000x666
>>46521205
>a campaign usually lasts a few months
>they are still level 1

tell me anon, how does it feel having no standards at all?
>>
We started at ~18 and went up to 20 in a meatgrinder campaign once. My build was super sub optimal for flavor reasons and the other guys was op because of some house rules so it mostly balanced out.

The things we fought started as ridiculous and went full retard towards the end though. Iirc the final boss had 40 in every stat and stupid high dcs for whatever spells it felt like pulling out of its ass, which was whatever caught the dms fancy

Had fun with it, but I'm not sure if that's just because I really enjoyed the character I made or not
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.