[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really enjoy the concept of reality warping abilities in Science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: telekinesis pizza.jpg (37 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
telekinesis pizza.jpg
37 KB, 480x360
I really enjoy the concept of reality warping abilities in Science Fiction novels, movies and games. The ability of some people where they can make almost dream like changes in what reality is and how it functions.

However I really hate 'psychic' powers in science fiction and fantasy.

Does anybody else understand what I'm talking about?
>>
>>46474443
ok
>>
>>46474443
Then you might like

>>46430039
>>
>>46474443
But psychic powers are just reality warping which is powered by the mind, anon. A high-level psychic rips reality apart just as well as same-level wizards and reality benders.

That said, I like more realistic forms of psychic powers - telekinesis, for example, should tire someone faster than just using their hands to move shit. Supposedly the Russian psychic Nina Kulagina lost 3kg of body mass after one test.
>>
>>46474443
Don't Lose Your Mind
>>
File: onlymypsionics.jpg (307 KB, 850x1470) Image search: [Google]
onlymypsionics.jpg
307 KB, 850x1470
>>46474443
Fuck yeah! Totally with you OP.
"Psychic" just sounds like that silly pokemon type.

Best stick to cooler sounding names like "Espers" and "Magic."
>>
>>46476931
Why label it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tmnABamh4
>>
>>46476980
Nice taste!
>Why label it?
Why not? Psychics are phonies preying on the gullible. Best use the proper term.
>>
>>46477176
> why label it?

Because "The ability of some people where they can make almost dream like changes in what reality is and how it functions" is a mouthful.
>>
>>46477986
Yeah, but why not have the secret government agency call it Not Identifiable Disturbance, have the criminal organization of outcasts insist on Abilities of the Awake, the headlines read gas leak or solar winds, and the three scientists who get it call it extra dimensional tunneling of probability wave functions.
>>
>>46477986
Call it Warping.
>>
>>46474443
Does your therapist know that you're off your autism meds?
>>
>>46478350
Does your mom know that you're on 4chan again?
>>
Is there really a difference? What is even the differences between the two, even superficially?
>>
>>46479476
One is a hollow trope, the other is a plot hook.
>>
>>46480481
How could one mechanically represent the reality warper as a class or archetype though?
>>
>>46480481
How is "I change stuff with my mind" any less "hollow" than "I read minds"? It's like saying that fire-based superheroes are more deep and meaningful than some other kind.
>>
>>46480975

It has a more mystical and interesting feeling if warping reality is the power instead of psychics. Someone born with a degree of omnipotence is more interesting then 'brain work good'
>>
>>46480975
One is utilitarian, the other dramatic. One gives you a power level, the other gives you tension and development. One is for kids, the other for grown ups.
>>
File: 1456453519350.jpg (12 KB, 215x211) Image search: [Google]
1456453519350.jpg
12 KB, 215x211
>>46481850
>>
>>46481902
>>
>>46478350
They make those?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.