[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>An ancient evil awakens >In fact THE ancient evil, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9
File: r8N6h.jpg (23 KB, 335x336) Image search: [Google]
r8N6h.jpg
23 KB, 335x336
>An ancient evil awakens
>In fact THE ancient evil, the biggest bad of the oldest age
>Sealed away eons ago by the gods in a climactic battle
>Having been sealed away in the dark and silence for so many years, said ancient evil has decided to turn over a new leaf if he's free
>The mortal who uncovers and awakens said evil now partners up with ancient evil-turned good to fight other ancient evils.
>>
>>46472082
Uh
Okay
So I basically unleashed a new god of justice?
>>
It sounds like it would be lacking in tension, but it's not like everything needs that
>>
>>46472147
>>46472101
When the ancient evil was sealed away eons ago the gods tore him to pieces and left him with a fraction of his true might, he can't even access his strength on his own, which is why he beseeches a mortal to partner up with him in his attempt to make up for the horrors he caused long ago
>>
>>46472082
...is it that bird?
>>
>>46472183
>>46472147
I like the idea that parts of the ancient evil's mind are still sealed with his power. So he doesn't remember exactly why he was killing and enslaving so many mortal beings, just that he didn't like doing it and thought that he needed to.
>>
>>46472293
Oh no, he loved doing it, he was the best at being a horrifying evil monster. But spending so much time in a small box with no sound, so sight, nothing but your own thoughts, for more years than even timeless beings can conceive, drove him to vow to turn over a new leaf if he was freed from his prison. And instead of just going back on his vow, he actually does follow through and works to help people by fighting monsters and nightmares alongside his new mortal ally
>>
>>46472082
So a Great Old One warlock pact with a NG patron?
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 450x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 450x700
>>46472082
or even better.

The magical researcher who thinks he can control the ancient evil is technically right. The ancient evil is a playable character and shapeshifts into a cat
>>
>>46472183
And the ancient evil just happens to be a small girl, too? Or is it Laharl, maybe?

This is so animedumb and such a lazy excuse of a story it's laughable.
>>
>>46472796
It's a mask, his mortal ally wears him and gets a covering of armor created via the old one's powers. Basically Kamen Rider powered by a super evil mask gone good.
>>
>>46472796
Sometimes it's fun to play a cliche. I got to play the overpowered evil dude who wears a long scarf and has a dangerous magical artifact. The DM offered too much leeway/Monty haul and I made a nastily broken swordsage. I figured out what the DM was leading us towards, and I acted like it was my idea, and he let me run with it.

It was fun to play the cliche. I even got to corrupt the holy warrior.
>>
>An ancient evil awakens
>The evil was negligence
>It's finally going to do something and end suffering as a concept
>>
>>46472270
>...is it that bird?

This made me laugh way harder than it deserved.
>>
>An ancient evil awakens
>it has dementia
>the players have to keep the ancient evil from remembering it's supposed to destroy the world
>>
File: 1454910943001.jpg (770 KB, 572x3855) Image search: [Google]
1454910943001.jpg
770 KB, 572x3855
GUY LEARNS ONE WEIRD TRICK ON HOW TO NOT TRUST CHTONIC DEITIES
>>
>>46472896

More or less Beerus from DBZ but I like it.
>>
>>46472912
>Last Panel
>5
>>
File: 1453019841958.jpg (71 KB, 927x380) Image search: [Google]
1453019841958.jpg
71 KB, 927x380
>>46472082
Might work for a high leveled game, for starting your players at level whatever, same level as the great evil who's now not so evil.

Might work as ambivalent NPC.

Might work if the ancient evil is disembodied and just rides along inside someone's head like a lame ass frontal lobe hitchhiker.

Might work if party is all avatars of gods who sealed away the great evil. They show up, find the seal broken, follow a trail of shattered trees to... a cozy cottage? The door opens to reveal a figure clad in the darkest of midnight silks, a brocade robe of crushed velvet in burgundy, and a "Kiss the cook" apron? Introduces themselves as Hamilcar Tanner, which is the name they went by before changing it to Bludd Souldrinker after achieving Lichdom.

That, or just have him kidnapped and delivered to the party.
>>
>>46472270
>...is it that bird?

We just don't know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh0Y2hVe_bw
>>
>An ancient evil awakens
>The ancient evil carries out it's diabolic master plan
>The ancient evil can't understand why everyone is so glad it exterminated the kender
>>
>>46473075
I'd pay to see some writefaggotry about this.
>>
File: 1452047926223.jpg (82 KB, 776x748) Image search: [Google]
1452047926223.jpg
82 KB, 776x748
>>46473123
Don't tease me, senpai.
>>
>>46472183
Is one of those fragments ME, THE GREATY AND MIGHTY AKU?
>>
>>46472082
The gods who sealed it away are still around, but slumber as their awakened power would cause untold chaos. And to be quite frank, the universe bored the shit out of them. It's much more interesting to sleep and watch the universe through their dreams.
They're still aware of the Evil the moment it awakens.
The Evil pleads with them that it wishes to turn over a new leaf, and no daddy no, not the box again, PLEASE!
The gods are not sure, but as waking enough to reseal the evil would cause said untold chaos they're willing to allow Evil an attempt at being good... provided he be chaperoned by a mortal at all times.
Problem being, the Evil is so powerful it would destroy anything beneath a cosmic scale that ends up in its presence. In order to interact with anything weaker than that it has to seal itself.
In order to be chaperoned and to seal itself, it binds itself within a sword for the most part. The mortal who awoke the Evil takes up this sword to fight minor evil as s/he journeys to find ancient evils worth the Evil's time to fight in its true form.

y/n?
>>
>>46472270
It needs to be.
>>
>>46472270
It looks like a suitably scheming, evil bird, so why not
>>
>>46472270
Shit son, don't scare me like that. It would be horrifying.
>>
>>46473713
>The ancient evil wasn't the only one sealed away by the gods
>Back in the oldest age there existed many evils
>All of them were sealed away
>All of them are awake now
>>
>>46474459
>Still need a mortal to break their seals though
>Mortals, as the results of the gods' dreams, have just enough divine oomf to put a bug into the ancient seals and cause them to fail.
>The evils reach out to mortals promising them whatever it takes to be freed.
>The Evil can hear all of them, and while going near a sealed evil would only let it out, being near one about to come out provides fine opportunities to fight.
>>
>>46472082
>not having the party seal away an incredibly powerful dark God
>not running a game eons later where they accidentally release the same dark God when they've completely forgot about it
>>
>>46472270
Grackles have a serious case of RBF
>>
>>46472534
Mogget?

Wasn't exactly evil, just a jerk and non-committal
>>
>>46472990
When you live in the chaos wastes, you learn to lower your standards.
>>
>>46472824
I'd watch it. Or play it. Or have a guy play it.
>>
>>46472082
>Power creep happened while AE was locked away.
>Not all that powerful anymore.
>>
>>46472270
Of course it is.
>>
>>46474550
>not running a game eons later
If i ever find a group of immortal players, i will.
>>
>>46472082
>Ancient evil locked away
>Morality of the majority changes over time
>No longer considered evil, gets released and a public apology.
>>
>an ancient evil awakens
>finds itself outgunned and outnumbered due to progress
>has to struggle to adapt and find a niche
>>
>>46472082
>The ancient deus of destruction is about to be freed
>The current gods are doing nothing to stop it
>Prophesy says the whole continent will be destroyed by his passage
>He actually cut a deal with them to let him warp out of the plane
>It's just that the act of warping him out will blow up the continent
>getting in a fight with him would destroy much much more though
>>
What would be some good ideas for ancient evils, /tg/?
>>
>>46476207
N'zoth, C'thun.
>>
>>46476207
>The Ink Burner
>An ancient evil who dominates the language of mortals. At it's smallest, the Ink Burner simply steals words from tongues, at it's worst, it steals away all meaning to languages both written and spoken.
>>
>>46472082

Am I named Alladin?
>>
>>46476207
First you gotta define "evil".
>>
>>46476207

A trapped djinn. Make it Arabia based.
>>
>>46476207
>Hero of the old times seals himself into earthen tomb together with ancient evil and destroys it
>After millennia in stasis, freed by unexpected fracking accident
>turns out his people have been wiped from the land and are remembered as a race of destructive madmen
>Hero is now the ancient evil

i ran a decent campaign using something similar as a basic shell. players helped flesh it out pretty good
>>
>>46476269
Anything that was in the ancient past mightily pissed off and waged war against the gods and would presumably do so again.
Or maybe as >>46476336, anything that would be mightily pissed off at the current world and wage war against the gods.
>>
>>46476207
Just pure destruction. We define good and evil based on what's good or bad for us personally, and then for our community, and then for our race. Destruction to "us" is bad, so an entity that enjoys destroying everything would have to be evil.
But OP's Biggest Evil doesn't want to go back in the box, and is going to turn its love of destruction in a "good" direction by destroying other evils.
>>
>>46476207
The king of the last human empire

Jesus of Nazareth

The Despoiler of Alcohol
particularly in a setting without good purification of water
>>
>Ancient evil awakens
> Its actually the true form and name of the Hero
>>
>>46472082

>HAHA! Good friend I have punished the evil doer!
Terror-face, you burned down an orphanage.
>Yes, those children were using colored sticks to deface the property of others! They had to be punished.
They were drawing on the sidewalk with chalk.
>Vile creatures. The swift punishment of justice will ensure they no longer commit such horrible deeds.
We need to leave now, the city guards will surely have our heads for this.
>The law enforcement for this region has become so corrupt that it is willfully allowing such blatant property destruction on a frequent basis? They must be culled!
No, Terror-face, no.
>>
File: filthy orphans.png (31 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
filthy orphans.png
31 KB, 500x375
>>46476508
At last! A reason to use this image!
>>
>>46476508
I'm suddenly reminded of that asshole in DA:2 with Justice riding around in his skull.
>>
>>46472183
Ones an redeemed ancient evil who's too old for this shit. The other is a paladin who plays fast and loose with the rules.
Together, they fight crime.
>>
>>46472183
my name is earl but starring an elder god. I can dig it.
>>
>>46476385
So "evil" means something along the lines of "fedora-tipping victim complex"?
>>
File: 3743931-darkschneider3.jpg (102 KB, 481x640) Image search: [Google]
3743931-darkschneider3.jpg
102 KB, 481x640
Hi
>>
>>46472896
This actually happened in a game im playing . My character interrupted some cult's ritual to bring back some ancient God who was, from the sounds of it, supposed to be the BBEG. My guy wasn't able to fully stop the ritual and the creature was summoned, but he managed to fuck it up enough so that the BBEG has no recollection of who or what it was once it entered its vessel.

And fucking of course, the god who had no physical form, had to enter the nearest vessel available, which happened to be one of the cultist's 8 year old daughter who was there for some reason. When the little girl BBEG asked who she was, my guy rolled a 20 claiming to be her father, who didn't have it in him to kill a little girl. My guy then spends the rest of the game raising the girl and teaching her to use her powers for good. The rest of the party doesn't know of course because they're murderhobos who would kill her on the spot, so he's trying to keep her identity a secret while they're being pursued by another branch of the cult who somehow know who she is.
It's kind of fun actually, I didn't expect to play a father figure character but I'm rolling with it. It's even more funny because the DM got pissed about it. Apparently it was just supposed to be a small session to introduce the BBEG but then I kind of ruined that.
>>
>>46479138
pretty sure you're in a magical realm
>>
>>46479183
Not really sure what that term means
>>
>>46480302
He is implying that you or the DM are attempting to insert your fetishes into the game
>>
>>46480302
The anon is saying he thinks that a little girl BBEG is your GM's fetish, but I find that doubtful given your mention of GM being pissed off.
>>
>>46472082
See, my party discovered the ancient evil an unseelie fae queen who had been locked up in a small room with a self help booklet for a source of moral guidance for 500 years or so.

They quickly discovered that ancient evil interpretations of good and evil are.... somewhat different from their own.
>>
>>46472082

So, Cthulhu Saves The World?
>>
>>46472082
Man, that grackle looks right pissed.
I pity the poor redneck who attracted its ire
>>
>>46481265
N-nobody knows my fetishes
Not sure if my DM Has a fetish for little girls.
>>46481295
I think he was just trying to put a twist on the BBEG and try to appeal to our conscience by making it into a little girl so there's by some conflict on whether or not/how we beat it. I kind of ruined that for him though, for now at least.
>>
>>46479138
What's with DM's and little girls?
Seriously, it could have easily been a random cultist.

Forever DM's must be in some sort of freaky cult themselves, little girls, oaths to kill every PC's family members, severe autistic tendencies regarding their dice.
What gives?.
>>
Shit, I'd play/watch that, especially if the evil had chosen good through more Eastern tropes. Like a djinn that swore an oath to be good if ever released, or choosing to be good after all that time to meditate.

Learning to love would also be fine, just for magical realm reasons.
>>
>>46481708
Currently playing an arabian prince of thieves who died 500 years ago and has been reincarnated into the body of a female djinni and possibly gained a bit more of a conscience.

That the kind of thing you're looking for?
>>
>>46481930
Maybe not evil enough to start with, but still tasty.
>>
That reminds me, has there ever been a campaign any of you Anons have been in where the Big Bad/final boss/whatever is a Fairy or other hyper unorthodox entity for a big bad?
>>
>>46481599
>N-nobody knows my fetishes
Tell us, anon. Tell ussss~
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.