[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That Guy thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 23
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 275x183
What kind of people do you just hate in your hobby /tg/?
Which ones are the worst?
Which ones just grind your gears?
>>
I hate the mtg casuals who complain that my deck is "too competitive" when it's a simple fucking combo deck made of nearly exclusively commons/Uncommons of the last two sets. It's not even fucking hard to disrupt as long as your deck is more than "Creatures Creatures Creatures Lands Lands Lands".
>>
>>46466367
People who play Magic.
>>
>>46466671

Second.
>>
>>46466793
>>46466671
Pokemon TCG 4 lyfe
>>
>>46466881

Still better than Yu-Gi-Oh.
>>
>>46466367
The people who build the same character in every game of D&D. Bonus points if it's the DM.

The character I've experienced this with is Tambro, half-elven warlock. This character had a stint as both PC and DMPC. Luckily, it was a group of the DM and two others, so the DMPC was justified.
>>
>>46466895
Anything is better than yugioh.
>>
>>46467313

Not a high bar to hop over, but it's something.
>>
All of the guys at my local flgs that don't paint their armies...I just wanna play a fun game against some painted minis dammit
>>
How many of these fucking threads do you need in a day Jesus Christ.
>>
>>46466367
>What kind of people do you just hate in your hobby /tg/?
>/tg/

/tg/

>Often Awesome, sometimes misogynistic goat fuckers
>>
In D&D
>That one guy that speaks for the entire party, even when we don't want him to.
>That one guy that gets his panties in a not because we didn't go with his plan.
>That same guy that tries to undermine your plans because he's still pissed about not following his plans.
>That one guy who expects to be the center of attention because he rolled a broken character.

In MTG
>That one guy who plays cards and not knowing what they actually do (ie, CycRift and returns his own stuff to his hand.)
>That one guy who insists on playing against you, even though his decks are shitty.
>That same guy that sulks because he doesn't know how to play the game properly.
>That one guy who makes a billion decks with proxies and never buys actual cards.

In Table Top War Games
>That one guy who Jumps his units.
>That same guy who does hidden rolls.
>That one guy that always watches, who doesn't know how to play and tells us that we're doing something wrong.

People need to tone down the Auts.
>>
>>46467484
>>That one guy who makes a billion decks with proxies and never buys actual cards.
When a staple card in every single deck that's more than one color (read: every deck) costs $120+ for a playset I believe proxies are required. Only Jews of the Coast actually care about it since that means their tournaments wouldn't take in as much money with the secondary market.
>>
>>46467623

I'm talking the kind of guy that proxies Bone Splinters.

A 10c common. Currently in Rotation.
>>
>>46466367

People who don't care about a game others take seriously and ruin it with lolsorandum derpery.

It doesn't work the other way around btw. One guy trying to be serious in a silly campaign of derping really only adds to the comic value, and at worst won't make any real difference. Whereas you can't have a serious game when the party Rogue is trying to stick his finger up the King's anus without touching the sides.
>>
>>46467670
Okay. Now I'm curious as to what the fuck he's trying to achieve.
>>
>>46466367
Powergamers. We're doing this for fun, right? Do they not realize that any of us could spam, optimize, or min/max? When they act like they have accomplished something, or understand the game better, or just think they're a better player than others? It annoys me, because the reality is usually the exact opposite - powergamers are often obtuse retards, with no awareness of any kind.
>>
>>46468395
I agree. If the GM wants you to succeed in an encounter he will. If he wants he encounter to knock you on your ass it will, even if you optimized to the point of near invulnerability. This doesn't mean that making a party of bread makers would work though. It just means you have to work with each other to create characters of similar power level so the GM doesn't have to jump through hoops making sure everyone feels like they're contributing.
>>
>>46466367

People who can't do basic fucking math. I love TTRPGs, but so many people have to look down at their sheets and count in their heads to figure out "oh... I have a +6 to hit... and he's flanked, so that's +4... so that plus 10... is... 20? Yeah, 20" and I'm sitting here like "20 you rolled 20 c'mon just say it" and they always get really pissy if I try to tell them. Like, either figure out a way to make it faster, accept people who are better at math just telling you, or stop playing the fucking game, you don't need three minutes to make one attack roll, I tremble in fear of you ever taking Two Weapon Fighting.
>>
>>46468485
It also extends to other things. A friend of mine is a senior in high school taking algebra 3 and he still needs to count out loud how much health he has left after taking damage in magic. Like really, you had to count out out what 19-3 is?
>>
>>46468395
Have some copypasta.

"If you're choosing a category of game that runs on cooperation, imagination, and where the guy controling the entire world wants you to succeed as your outlet for highly competitive effort, you're a fucking retard.

It's like training all year to dominate at the parents vs kid softball game. If you want to powergame and focus on WINNING there are bajillions of better outlets for it, so doing it in D&D or whatever is a sign of some kind of retardation.

If you think you're "good" at D&D because you can do second grade math, pick the best skills and disconnect your humanity while designing your combatmonster, encounterwarping character, you're like a person who jumps into a sandbox, aggressively builds the tallest sandcastle and screams SUCK IT NERDS at the toddlers. Yes, congratulations, you won at sandcastle, but you're missing the point and you clearly hang out with other retards so much that you don't notice how silly you are.

On top of that you have that whole mentality of people who think that any kind of effort at immersion or role-playing is for faggots and that role-playing should be like world of warcraft without graphics, and I just feel like they have some kind of condition.

If you want to WIN, just play some videogame online against other people who are trying to win so there's an actual competition, don't inflict it on your happy fun time friends who want to roll dice and experience cool stories.

The fiction is the whole point of pen and paper role-playing, because that's it's strength, you can do ANYTHING. But it's a terrible outlet for competitive urges and the people who use it for that are clearly scared of actual competition and just use it to feel better at something irrelevant than their friends are. Like, congrats, you're slightly more effective at killing orcs fast than everyone else, we're so psyched to have you."
>>
>The prominence of white male terrorism in the geek community is obvious to everyone except straight white men. Gamergate, Sad Puppies, and the necessity of the Cosplay is NOT Consent movement, to name just a few, have brought to light the dangerously retrograde ideas espoused by the gaming community.
Lel let's name drop some popular SJW boogiemen, eh?
>>
>>46468524

Seriously? I played magic for a year, and I actively kept track of my health and my opponants. Then again, there was time a faggot tried to lie about how much health he had(my deck was basically a beatstick designed around getting out a swarm of medium strength creatures and using combat controlling techniques like Odrick, and he was a standard green beatstick built around some dumb creature type that didn't have anything useful, so I was beating him pretty handly). Anyways, eventually I just did two turns of attacks at 12+ damage, told him he was dead, he lied, I counted off the damage, pointed out he hadn't used any healing items, asked him how he still had 8 health, he admitted he was lying, and won the game. He didn't try to do it again the second time, and he went down in three turns. Fucking faggot.
>>
>>46468603
>the necessity of the Cosplay is not Consent movement

I dont think these angry fat bitches and their pencil-dicked minions understand what the word 'necessity' means.
>>
>Harassment in nerd hobbies has been quantified and studied and the results are appalling. 25% of the respondents reported harassment, 13% reported unwelcome sexual comments, and 8% reported groping, sexual assault, or rape.
Isn't that pretty much the normal rate anyway?
>>
>>46468630
It's seriously gotten to the point that I've downloaded a health tracking app on his phone so he stops forgetting and counting out loud. He's also kinda shit at any level of competitive deck building, even the basic rule of "60 cards per deck" is alien to him.
>>
>>46468549
Amazing. Next caller.
>>
>>46466367
GMs who put a lot of work into making a game and then can't run it for shit. Seriously, learn your fucking rules, never forget the players motivations, and don't give shit tons of powerups to cover your shitty roleplay.
>GM makes an amazing setting
>Awesome characters
>SO MUCH HYPE
>Terrible story that jumps around from battle to battle.
>"You are on the run when you see enemies!"
>"Why would I attack them? Let's just keep going."
>GM looks at me with wide-eyed hatred, having never considered that our characters aren't always looking to pick a fight.
When the fuck did RPG become synonymous with Call of Duty?
>>
>>46468982
World of Warcraft
>>
>>46468982

enemies? Like, did he say it like that? I'd keep moving if it was, y'know, wolves, but a group that was actively hunting the party I'd start to fight because, y'know, better when we see them coming then tonight when only one guy is awake.
>>
>>46468549
I'd apply this logic to balance as well. Sure, there are games where it's a big enough problem to impact fun, but way too many people here are fucking obsessed with it. I can think of multiple RPGs where judging by what it's own players say, one of the main selling point is "It's more balanced than 3.PF." That's like trying to sell a car based on its cupholders
>>
>>46466367
>The players who sit behind their laptops and just wait for their turn to do "their thing" with their perfect build. They don't interact. They smirk. They sit with their arms crossed. When something goes wrong in the group, they use their escape spell/ability.
>>
>>46469016
>>46468982
Wow, I was going to ask how it is possible to have an amazing setting but a terrible story, then I saw this post

Good example
>>
Powergaming AND beating women is very cool

https://youtu.be/fKJDAVvs_JA?t=5
>>
>>46469026
>>46469026
We were a group on the run from an invading force that was clearly made to sound overpowering. My teammates spot a small enemy encampment in the treeline. GM specifically says they don't see us. Team first strikes them and wins the fight, but at the expense of explosives and ammo, not to mention risking a fight where the enemy may have had reinforcements out of sight or within radio range. I suggest passing them by, and going slightly out of our way not to pick a fight. Everyone looks at me in wide-eyed shock. I just dont get it. Our goal was to escape and live, yet they picked a fight with guys who would have never seen us. And the GM purposefully put them there for a fight, and my team decided to take the bait to humor him.
>>
>>46469325
Basically, create a really interesting universe with factions, lots of backstory, cities, etc. and then when it comes down to actual gameplay, reduce the story to 'hurr durr fight this group, then fight these guys, and then oh look another group but they're slightly BETTER than that last one." It's like, have some pride in your universe man. Let's explore it a little. Minions aren't just faceless baddies, give em some personality and something more than an attack roll, bad guys have reasons for being bad, etc. I'm not asking for a lot; just stop dumbing down all your hard work so you don't have to think hard about your story.
>>
I hate anyone who goes on /tg/ and takes its advice on anything. This is an OK place to discuss games, but absolutely shit at writing and design
>>
>>46469533
Agreed. One time someone on /tg/ told me to chill out, and it was in that moment that I knew I needed to get as angry as possible.
>>
>>46469551
If I was asking for help and was given Mr. Freeze puns in return I'd be pissed off too
>>
>>46469368
And suing for mad $$$ when the scum of the earth releases your sex tape isn't half bad either.
>>
>>46469533
>>46469551
What stuff in particular?
>>
>>46469592
Once, /tg/ told me to obey the law
>>
>>46469583
Hulkamania running wild worldwide!
>>
>>46466367

Not exactly a That Guy complaint, but a complaint about a guy who with the best of intentions, ruined a gaming atmosphere I liked.

>Play this wargame, World in Flames
>Big, big strategic level hex and chit WW2 game, lots of fun.
>Group plays fairly casually, or at least as casually as you can for a game whose playing time runs from 100-150 hours or so.
>One day, a few years back, this new guy joins our group.
>Seriously strong player
>Find out later he's #16 on this unofficial list this guy who runs the annual convention makes. 16 in the world, although to be fair, player-base is probably in the low to mid hundreds.
>Kicks the crap out of all of us, almost effortlessly.
>Game decasualifies, start bringing more and more home prep to keep up with him.
>Doesn't work, when I prepare more, he prepares more in turn, and he's always just a step or two ahead of me
>Recently, one of the other guys left the group
>Oh, I know a guy, says our resident superplayer
>It's another one of his ridiculously good Wif guys he knows.
>If anything, our new guy, Paul, is even stronger than our old guy, although the two of them are both seriously seriously strong.

Don't get me wrong, I still have fun, and I've gotten WAY better from losing to this guy, but he's killed something that I liked in the old setup, and I miss it.
>>
>>46469592
Without turning the thread into a badwrongfun shitflinging match, /tg/ thinks the following:
>It is very original to put Elves in mountains/Dwarves in trees etc etc- your fantasy world is no worse off for doing so
>In fact, just mash random shit together. Mexican Elves who live in mountains and have pure black eyes? A-Ok!
>Females are a mystical, magical species who cannot be understood, roleplayed with, or run as characters. Any male running a female character is doing it for dubious reasons
>The quality of certain MTG stories is a function of their popularity and not how broken they were. See: Mirrodin good, Kamigawa bad
>All Lovecraft references are limited to big things rising out of the ocean and driving people insane. May or may not also reference a polar ice cap.
>Alignments are good
>Coasters are bad
I''m just aimlessly bitching now because I'm tired from work, but the point is stay far the fuck away from the worldbuilding threads
>>
>>46469784
>/tg/ thinks alignments are good
Which /tg/ have you been browsing?
>>
File: 603330664_sA9ak-2100x20000.jpg (575 KB, 2100x1052) Image search: [Google]
603330664_sA9ak-2100x20000.jpg
575 KB, 2100x1052
>>46469736
Here you go
>>
>>46469784
>Females are a mystical, magical species who cannot be understood, roleplayed with, or run as characters. Any male running a female character is doing it for dubious reasons

It's just fun to shitpost about women. It's the same schadenfreude men and women get when grossing each other out.
>>
>>46467338
Geez, everyone at my FLGS has theirs at least primed and in progress (I'm in that group...) even the netlisters.
>>
>>46469986
Hey I believe you because I've indulged in roasty toasty shitty poasty threads myself. But after a while, the lines between "ha ha look at all the bantz" and "dear god, they ACTUALLY think that?" begin to blur.
>>
>>46469736
I've been on the reverse end, and it isn't exactly fun times on my side either. It's hard as fuck to turn it off, because I'm basically forcing myself to not play the game, and that's not fun. But at the same time, whenever I don't, I basically stomp on people, and people don't like being stomped on. My friends make a lot of snarky comments when we play together, and honestly, after a while, it just makes me not want to bother.
>>
>>46466367
Players who think DnD games are about being in opposition to the DM. As in they think that everything the DM is trying to do revolves around trying to kill their players and so its the players job to make sure that none of the DMs plans ever come to fruition. Its so difficult to make a cohesive story when there's one player who imagines railroads everywhere he goes and tries his utmost to derail this train he thinks exists.
>>
>>46467350
Still better than another 40k thread.
>>
File: 1444721986001.gif (1019 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1444721986001.gif
1019 KB, 500x373
I'm gonna drop some knowledge on you.

There's an old /tg/ saying that goes "No Game is better than a Bad Game," but recently I saw it condensed into something that holds true even more.

No Game > Game.

The hard truth of our hobby is that the sheer number of That Guys, That Girls, Shit GMs and bad parties outnumber good players with good social habits to such a degree that any given game you join or try to run is almost guaranteed to be a bad game. And the worst part is this: the good gaming groups are not good enough, will never be good enough, to live up to the group that you want in your head or the headache of weaning through bad games until you find a passable one. It will always leave you feeling empty in the end. There's so many That Guys because we are That Community. The fact of the matter is, we might just be That Hobby. No game is better than trying to get a game together.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy /tg/. He bright side is that you're enjoying the hobby right now in the best possible way: in theory, not in practice. Traditional gaming is infinitely more valuable as an exercise in theory crafting, the discussion and exploration of mechanical systems, world building, and vicariously enjoying the distilled highlights of other people's games. And don't let yourself be fooled, every last "RPG highlight story" and "epic greentext" is, when not an outright fabrication, the result of a desperate attempt on the writer's part to justify the sunk cost of hours and hours of shitty gameplay by extracting a handful of standout moments. The experience of playing tabletop games is almost invariably miserable, and the exceptions will always only be "good enough."

Don't feel bad about That Guy stories putting you off from finding a group. Accept That Guy as what it is. It's the norm, that Natural State of things, and then do what I did years ago: walk away, appreciate the concept of our hobby from a distance, and accept this is how it's meant to be.
>>
>>46470623
Yeah, yeah. Epic pasta. You did a good job netting all those (You)s last time.
>>
File: 1424559486038.gif (865 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1424559486038.gif
865 KB, 480x270
>that guy who insists he knows so much about MtG's fluff but gets basic things wrong constantly
>that guy who swears up and down about the ways cards used to work despite having only been playing for three years
>that guy who prattles on and on about tournaments that he's won and describes scenarios that involve cards that don't exist, impossible rule twisting, or both.
>that guy who gets super butthurt about infect but runs Triumph of the Hordes in every green EDH deck he has
>that guy who gets on to others for trying to manipulate people then turns around and tries to dictate the flow of the game to everyone
>that guy who will literally turn red if you cooperate with someone to take him out and rant about how it's bullcrap to make alliances in a multiplayer free for all, but then the next day will turn everyone in the fight against you and think nothing of it
>that guy who tries to argue an obviously wrong point about a card's effect and claims to have looked it up when Gatherer literally states that he's wrong
>that guy who, upon perceiving any action against him that he interprets as revenge, starts spouting off with as many variations of "salty" as he can think of despite holding grudges over matches long passed
And it's all the same guy.
>>
>>46470623
You know what?

No.

I've only passingly encountered Those People in gaming. I lived in a college town for a decade near a military base and have gamed with more than 60 different people in that time frame. Maybe 5 would be people I would call That Guy etc. I've moved an hour hour away but I still have a strong gaming group of 20 or so that I cycle games with depending on work schedules of everyone. All of them I enjoy gaming with. They have their flaws in some fields but shine in others and the group works around the bumps when they arise.

Cons and major cities are a different story but that's because the people I encounter their often are other fa/tg/uys.

This place kills the fun of Traditional Games in the hearts of most. Everyone is filled with vitriol and spite over another having badwrongfun. It's expected as it's 4chan but the regular exposure seems to color their attitudes IRL and they bring it with them to the table. Thankfully I'm the only one who browses here in my game group besides one guy who just likes funny game related pictures. This place is bad because it only is discussion of theory and rarely practice with real people.

tl;dr /tg/ is as toxic as /v/ is to gaming enjoyment
>>
>>46471041
Oh no... I bit the bait didn't I?
>>
>>46468549
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yU9gLP7FcU
>>
>>46471011
>That guy who refuses to learn how planeswalkers work
>That guy who prefers Ante
>That guy who swears that some card used to do different things
>That guy who says Brainstorm was one of the original cards and Ancestral Recall came later.
It's all the same guy.
>>
That guy who wants a serious rp full of fleshed out deep characters and involved interplay and dialogue between them, only to then make a taciturn edgelord who is solely geared toward combat.
>>
File: 1212187575883.jpg (50 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1212187575883.jpg
50 KB, 640x480
>>46471159
>That guy who prefers Ante
>>
>>46471052
I guess since she can wield Thor's power through Mjolnir and he can't, she kind of has dibs on the name.
Also, didn't Thor used to be a crippled doctor?
>>
>>46469039
You know why people get obsessed with it, you stupid fuck? Because of being burned out on things like 3.PF.
>>
>>46471282

no. Well, yes, but no, not in the sense we're thinking of. Modern, main universe thor is a person, similiar to the movies. I think once long ago he worked that way, but nowadays thor is a person of his own. If it still did work that way, femthor would be thor possessing a woman, not a woman as thor. Remember- thor's new name is odinson, because he's litterally the son of odin. His name is thor. It's his actual, litteral name. It's not like the Zeus' and shit, who are just dudes calling themselves after a greek god, he literally is Thor.
>>
>>46469039
>there are games where it's a big enough problem to impact fun,

yeah. D&D3.x/pathfinder Which is pretty much the most popular game currently being played. (maybe 5e dethroned it by now? Not sure). When the biggest game in the hobby has a specific flaw, a game not having that flaw is a pretty good selling point.
>>
>>46471041
>>46471067
>Oh no... I bit the bait didn't I?
Don’t feel bad, this is only the second time it’s been posted, here anyway.
And it got a lot of replies.
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/46372236/#46375243

It’s actually a bit polarizing and almost reverse-trolling in that it inspired a number of anons like you to share uplifting examples of how they still love and enjoy the hobby.
The original anon, the burnt out dm, and the few other sad sacks that agreed were definitely in the minority.

>>46470623
>I am eloquently wrong: the post.
Books are to be read.
Songs are to be sung.
Games are to be played.

May this be this copypasta’s final (You)
Party on.
>>
>>46471374
Do we know why or how she got the hammer yet?
>>
morbidly obese guy who complains about walking across the road to get food, rips his deck from regional or tournament winners, no creativity, no casual decks, and then get really salty when his $300 deck loses to someone who made a rogue deck.
>>
There are two girls in the 3.PF game I'm playing. I've played with two other girls and they never managed to grind my gears like these two. For reference, the last two were alright but one's boyfriend kept giving her magic items so she wouldn't feel bad and the other was overly quiet.

These two, though. Oh boy. So the DM, an old friend, springs the idea of doing PF on us randomly in a skype call. Everyone's hype. Girl 1 says "I wanna make a healer". I don't know much about 3.PF but it seems to me like several classes get healing spells so you don't need to dedicate someone to the role. But, healer she played. Made a witch loaded with healing spells. She followed the group around either sounding like she resented us for having to follow us, salty that nothing hurt us, or depressed over running out of spells so quick. The DM almost threw me out when I asked why she had a 5th level resurrection at 3rd level. Apparently, after I asked that, she spent 30 minutes saying she was going to throw her character sheet out. She also bragged about how useful she was to the party constantly for pointing out pretty obvious ideas. Guess who was the DM's gf.

Girl 2 fluffed Girl 1 constantly. I mean, if Girl 1 had a dick, those lips would be around it at all times. She went on and on about how awesome Girl 1's character was, went on tirades about how she saved the day and that we should let the 'healer' dictate the decisions, and other shenanigans. She was also the worst Magus I've ever seen. We were fighting zombie several zombie minotaur and she decided to throw around cantrips when she had FAR more effective spells. "I'm the DPS guys, I've gotta save my big spells for the boss!" She'd always say. "Yeah, but we've got to survive this encounter to get to the boss."

The worst part about this is that they're essentially playing the exact same characters they played when last I played with them 2 years ago.
>>
>>46471545
Never mind, she found the hammer on the moon (?) and was able to pick it up since she was a pretty cool person. The hammer gave her a better physique and presumably is staving off her breast cancer.
He tried to get the hammer back but was like "nvm, I guess you can be Thor now."
>>
>>46470623
I agree, largely.
There /are/ good groups out there (and after several years in the wilderness I found one) but they're far apart and the masses of the hobby are a cesspit of trendy hipsters or die-hard grognards with no real normal people in the middle.
>>
>>46466367
>What kind of people do you just hate in your hobby /tg/?
The same kind I hate in general - racists and gypsies.
>>
>>46472263
Aye, we'd be well of to be rid of both of those.
>>
>>46472263
Are there really gypsies playing RPGs where you live? Sounds scary.
>>
>>46472460
Gypsies are pretty good at playing pretend.
>>
>>46472263
The irony.
>>
File: 1459833440053.jpg (30 KB, 335x336) Image search: [Google]
1459833440053.jpg
30 KB, 335x336
People who turn a simple game of Magic into a dick-measuring contest.

We're playing a fucking casual game. Why does that mean "whip out the netdecks" to so many people? Also I'd like to say I've played for a couple semesters at a local community college and a university now and there were way more That Guys at the cc.
>>
>>46467454
>Always Unique, Totally Interesting, Sometimes Mysterious
FTFY
>>
>>46472609
>Always Untermenschen, Totally Imbecilic, Sometimes Motile
>>
File: 1459391312583.jpg (12 KB, 275x196) Image search: [Google]
1459391312583.jpg
12 KB, 275x196
People who refuse to play anything but one class in tabletops.

People who refuse to write evem a brief summary of their character's past.

I know some people think they just want to fight shit but then it turns out they never know combat rules either. What they want is a damn video game that reads all the rules for them. Fucking hell.
>>
>>46466977
On one hand I can half get this, but on the other didn't it used to be a staple(?) of PnP games that you had a character you took from adventure to adventure, and that was why character death was so serious?
There was a webcomic centered around a gaming group (Table Titans) where the group entered a tournament running a difficult module, and as part of the tournament if your character died they would tear up your sheet then and there. The players discussed which characters they would bring as if they had a portfolio of established characters.
>>
File: 111.jpg (23 KB, 436x432) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
23 KB, 436x432
>>46470623
>>
>>46468395
But powergaming is fun.
>>
File: Powergaming in PnP.png (76 KB, 1316x427) Image search: [Google]
Powergaming in PnP.png
76 KB, 1316x427
>>46468549
Capped and saved, my friend. Also saved the pic. Just... everything about this post is win.

>>46468792
I never really thought about rape until I hit college age and suddenly the internet was full of anti-rape culture shit. I'd had the thought, "You know, Anon, as a very large man I could probably rape a girl." Had the thought and moved on, never to think about it again. Then I get bombarded will all this anti-rape media and suddenly I can't help BUT to think about how I could do it, and now I'm afraid of even looking at a women the wrong way.

>>46469529
The South Park references though.

I hate favoritism with a passion. It boggles my mind how in a group activity one person gets to be more favored than everyone else, and we're all supposed to be ok with it.
>>
>>46473072
Might want to be careful with who you quote, looks like we're going full scorched earth policy with this thread.
>>
>>46473072
Aww, thanks. If I'd known someone would like it so much, I'd have not said it was copypasta.

Have another quiet, though.
>>
>>46473033
Only if you play D&D which is built around powergaming. It tends to break most other systems and when systems break things have staggering chance to go into un-fun territory.

Then again only people who would powergame something else than D&D are typically fucked up autists that aren't fun to play with anyway.
>>
>>46473155
I know, right? Loving it.

Expanding on my theme a little, DMs who think if they haven't killed a PC in a session or two the game is too easy. What the actual fuck. You know what's a recurring theme in books? Not having members of the main cast die off every couple of chapters. I swear, my last DM literally said the CRs for 5e don't make sense, so she was just going off gut instinct. When her encounters that were hideously outleveled for us (and we would have several encounters in a session, with few-none uninterrupted long rests) still didn't manage to kill us she would neuter the loot gained. It got to the point where we could barely afford upkeep , and the only ay characters could afford moderate lifestyles would be to go murder a dragon. In a setting where ancient dragons are on top, both food chain wise and socially. I still don't know why we weren't considered criminals for all the dragons we killed other than /maybe/ because they weren't gold, the color of the dragon who sponsored out town, and because dragons apparently give 0 shits about their young cuz reptiles.
>>
File: Applause.gif (208 KB, 250x219) Image search: [Google]
Applause.gif
208 KB, 250x219
>>46472263
>The same kind I hate in general - racists and gypsies.
>>
GMs that railroad hard to create cool scenes for their npc snow flakes.

Players that load up on mental disorders because it gives them an excuse for lolrandumb choices, justifying it to themselves and all others that its more fun to play mentally unstable characters.
>>
Бyмп
>>
>>46466367
MTG multiplayer politicians

>in a 4 player EDH game
>Feldon reanimator, Newlamog, low power Jhoira
>and this guy's Ayli life-gain deck
>note: the deck is fine, not OP, pretty effective, interactive, fun to play against
>but this guy
>constantly making lengthy arguments why people shouldn't attack him, even as he's 50% over starting life total and would be worse without occasional pecking slung his way
>continually argues that only he can deal with the ulamog player
>"50 life is like 0 life for me"
>he gave us that one repeatedly

Later admitted that nearly every time he was targeted, it was probably valid threat assessment, but he did his damnedest to try and dissuade people anyway.

Hot damn, if people are making valid threat assessments against you, don't filibuster the table with your dramatics.
>>
>>46470623
Seeing this shit just strengthens my determination to run good games.
>>
>>46467454
>implying misogyny is a bad thing
Bitches ruin everything, just look at comics and video games
>>
>>46475263
Baccyп бpo
>>
File: 1413906145131.png (918 KB, 1057x1080) Image search: [Google]
1413906145131.png
918 KB, 1057x1080
>>46466367
That guy who does not invite me into his group.
>>
>>46476236
Is it some specific guy that booted you our or a general >tfw no game?
>>
>>46466367
>Casual Yugioh games
>Most of the people there are using decks they spent $100-300 to create
>Was only using a fun equip card deck based around Maha Vailo and Gearfried
>Lose all matches except against guy who literally just bought a structure deck

I spent some time building a deck to cripple special summons so this time I can counter all those faggots.
I spent maybe $40 coming up with this deck to counter much more expensive ones.
>>
>>46476296
So many on roll20 are that guy.
>>
>>46471011
>that guy who, upon perceiving any action against him that he interprets as revenge, starts spouting off with as many variations of "salty" as he can think of despite holding grudges over matches long passed
>>
>>46472744
Holy shit, newfag detected.

Go find a D&D group, m8, and learn the ropes.
>>
>>46466557
This guy is my 'that guy'.
>>
File: Here comes the rage.gif (4 MB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
Here comes the rage.gif
4 MB, 540x304
>>46476535
Alright so I've actually been playing for a couple years now and around on /tg/ for over a year. Am I a newfag still? Yeah. Have I learned the ropes? Yeah. Fuck off. The modern ropes are make your character, invest a little personality in them, and then don't get attached because bringing a character from game to game doesn't work. GMs don't allow it. New game means new character. Which is why I was asking about how it used to be in the olden days before 4chan was even a thing.

>Anon posts his hatred for people making the same character over and over
>I ask if in olden days it was common to have a character sheet go from game to game
>Your dumbass comes in, eager to claim seniority
>????
>*Fedora tips all around*
>>
>>46467670
Cant be bothered to get it shipped? Hell I've proxied basic lands for commander night when I couldn't get to my LGS.
>>
>>46476705
Those are wrong ropes.

Modern ropes is making a character with personality and goals tied to the campaign and then you run through it.
As opposed to old time banal murderhobory.
>>
>>46476705
Someone's salty, and also missing the point.

It isn't a literal 'use the actual same sheet' scenario, dumbfuck, it's essentially recreating the same character over and over again, both mechanically and personality-wise.

Your newfaggotry remains bright and shining, and I hope it dims, but goddamn you're an idiot. Anyone who's been on /tg/ for long enough has caught onto this one simple fact. Hell, it's not even a 'how long you've been on /tg/' thing, it's a matter of playing RPGs long enough with a certain group.

Also,

>Fedora tips all around

Aaand confirmed for shitposting.
>>
>>46476705
>>46472744
I'm pretty sure that, if you pulled "identical twin" shenanigans in those old times, the GMs would slap you too.
>>
People who refuse to take fifteen fucking minutes outside of game time to organize their character sheets and notes, so that they can take their turns faster, and properly. Especially in one case when the same person repeatedly insists on keeping track of things for other PCs or "helping" them.

"Oh, I didn't actually have the spell I cast last round prepared, I was reading the wrong chicken-scrawled spells prepared list on the back of my sheet."

"How much gold did we get from selling the stolen painting four sessions ago?"

"Wait, I think I did two additional points of damage on my turn. Let me cut off you, or another player's narration to argue about that."

"Wait, before we start, I need to print my sheets again. Also I'm late."
>>
>>46476808
No? 'Oh no, X has died. Here's his replacement, X the 2nd.' wasn't uncommon.
>>
>>46477058
With all the same gear and wealth?

Why'd you bother keeping characters from game to game if you could whip up a new fully geared guy any time?
>>
>>46476760
>It isn't a literal 'use the actual same sheet' scenario, dumbfuck, it's essentially recreating the same character over and over again, both mechanically and personality-wise.
The only practical difference is since you're not playing off the old sheet any gear you've picked up is discarded. It's basically the same character but without the gained loot/exp/money from past campaigns. Which is fine, or at least understandable.
What I actually ASKED, shitlord, was
> didn't it used to be a staple(?) of PnP games that you had a character you took from adventure to adventure, and that was why character death was so serious?
Thanks for telling me to find a group /today/ to learn how shit /used/ to be done. You deserved a shitpost and a half.
>>46476808
I didn't mean identical character in the same campaign either.
>>46477076
>Why'd you bother keeping characters from game to game
This is actually the closest to an answer I've gotten so far.
>>
>>46477178
'S funny, there's a huge rant from Gygax in the front of the 1e DMG that, although the GM can customise the rules a bit, they shouldn't change things too much so you can take your character between games easily.

I'm not exactly sure how you explain the character hopping between the GMs' worlds.
>>
>>46477213
Adventurers be adventurin', yo? Magical portals, far away lands, general hand wavery I assume. Thank you for a decent answer.
>>
>>46471159
>>That guy who swears that some card used to do different things
Mogg Fanatic :(
>>
File: latest[1].png (234 KB, 356x327) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
234 KB, 356x327
>>46476311
>Wait, am I that guy because I went through this precaution?
>>
>>46477289
>Magical portals,
Funny thing about his, there's canonically a portal between FR and Mystara, and another between Mystara and Greyhawk. I'm not sure if there's one to Krynn or not.

These portals officially have the effect of converting your character from AD&D to BECMI/RC and back again when you pass through them, but I don't know if people actually used that or just converted Mystara into AD&D (for example).
>>
>>46466367
I deal fine with trans people, gender queer, or the flavour of special snowflake of the month in real life, you want to be a girl, whatever, I'll smile and pack your shit and say "thank you miss".

But without a fault those people have refused to play people of their previously assigned gender, or insisted on being gender fluid in their characters as well, or gotten pissed when they were being ousted for wearing a long skirt as a man in a medieval setting.
Or gotten mad when I got their pronouns wrong at the table.

I just don't play with them anymore. They're already letting whatever is in their head trump every rule in society, why would they respect those of your setting?
>>
>>46468549
See, I love powergamers in most D&D settings because I can almost assuredly get something better with the giant ass stack of rulebooks I've built up over the years. Unless it's straight up Pun-Pun I can out powergame almost anything.

I don't, mind you, under normal circumstances. It's no fun. A properly minmaxed monstrosity is a bit like a ship in a bottle. You build a really fucking cool one, sit it on a shelf and every now and then point to it and be like "cool shit, right?"

But every now and then you get some asshole that doesn't realize the point of roleplaying is not just to smack things with your giant stack of numbers. And if the DM won't fix the problem it's time to dig up a couple of different books on dwarves and fighters and get something with a burrow speed that can just go full grabboid on literally every problem you run into.

If at first you don't succeed, hand more sheets like the first to the other players in the group. There are few feelings like turning the powergamer into the weakest one there.
>>
File: 1435175065260.gif (2 MB, 230x178) Image search: [Google]
1435175065260.gif
2 MB, 230x178
>>46477340
I'd like to counter with the example of my last roommate. He was genderfluid, but I had no idea until one time discussion of pronouns came up and I had to do a doubletake. Really chill about it, the only time it ever came up in a roleplaying context was one time he tried to join a Deathwatch game I was in and was annoyed that he didn't even have an option to play a female.

I'd played in three different games with him, two of which he'd played male characters, and one he'd played a female character. He also told me about another game where he'd played a female character, and there was a female character he'd made for a game that the DM didn't allow. None of these characters really tried to mess with gender ideas or anything like that, and all but one were completely fine with being just male or female. Overall he was far more concerned with the personality of the character and whatever gimmick he'd built them around - a vengeful noble caviler, a spec ops shadowrunner who wanted to be an anime ninja. The only time gender came up was with a character who's dad had devalued her because girl, so she set out to be tough and didn't need no man. He always respected whatever the DM ruled in the end, even if he tried to negotiate, and seemed to legitimately enjoy just about every game we played in but Deathwatch - he just wasn't familiar enough with 40k to just jump in.

I was honestly kind of a dick to him, and I wish I'd done better by him. I was not a very good roommate, but he was chill.
>>
>>46477530
Found the hidden SJW
>>
>>46477817
How was he a social justice warrior?
>>
>>46470623
Stop bitching and be the change you desire.
>>
>>46477530
>genderfluid
That's called semen, anon.
>>
>>46477817
Found the moron.
>>
>>46466367
The ones who complain that other people are doing it wrong.
>>
>>46477330
What are you talking about.
Every card game tournament is netdeck central. Nobody plays card game tournaments to have fun. What's the point of competitive format if you don't play competitive.

What you are looking for is a kitchen table.
>>
>>46478954
> Nobody plays card game tournaments to have fun.

I meant, nobody plays tournaments to mess around
>>
>>46476705
>on /tg/ for over a year. Am I a newfag still? Yeah
I got news for you anon. There's a distinct difference between being an oldfag and not being a newfag.
>>
>>46466367
The worst player I've ever had is one I'm with now.
As a GM he's pretty good, but as a player he's damn-near unmanageable. He's the sort of player who goes off-rails merely to spite the GM for having the 'audacity' to try and guide him towards the story.
>Set up some campaign rules during session 0, he'll break them all before the month's out. >Introduce a DMPC who exists to fill a gap in the party, he'll kill them because he's got a thing against DMPC's.
>Suggest to him that his idea is obviously not going to work, he doubles down.
>Do literally anything except for building the entire campaign around his characters absurd and randomly varying motivations and he will do the exact opposite just to spite you.
He has been a primary contributor to the derailment of multiple campaigns I've run, much to my own and other players consternation, and has admitted he not only feels no guilt for ruining my hard work and the other player's investment, but has the gall to blame me for trying to 'railroad' them by suggesting they follow the rules I explained in detail to them at the beginning of the campaign.
If he wasn't a decent GM in the campaign he runs in which I would never sit at a gaming table with him.
In short, I hate players who join campaigns and immediately go against the GM and his not unreasonable requests and expectations, for no other reason than "muh player agency".
>>
>>46472592
I really only see people complain about this and not the other way around.

I have a lot of friends who play Magic that ask me to play with them and I always tell them no because I know for a fact they will go bitch about how competitive my decks are.

I'm sorry I like seeing the game played well. It's fun to challenge myself within the constraints of the game. It's fun seeing new combos. It's terribly boring watching a 10 turn closed combo plug away to make less than 5 tokens.
>>
>>46466367
>people who are smug about their preferences and insult other people for theirs like opinions can be superior to other opinions in a non-subjective manner

>the inevitable fagbarons who will argue the above point, because they want to justify being an autistic fagbaron

>people who bring a competitive attitude to non-competitive games; we're talking RPGs where the players are on the same side here

>people who go out of their way to pop over to a game they dislike and criticize the game around a bunch of people who obviously enjoy the game enough to be playing it

>people who insert content from a specific source into unrelated games even when the group doesn't want it as part of their game

>people who think "the hobby" belongs to anyone or that we should exclude people and be shitty to them just because the big scary SJWs latched onto those groups of people

I sometimes question why I come here.
>>
>>46479178
I found the retarded SJW with objectively shitty opinions.
>>
>>46479278
I love you too, anon.
>>
>>46479178
SJW's will kill this hobby though if you don't put them in their place.
>>
>people who complain that we never finish a campaign but go out their way to sidetrack every session into some bullshit unrelated to the plot.

>same race, same backstory, same class every time he makes a new character
>>
I have a guy that nit picks everything. If I don't do a sufficiently original voice for every new npc, then he throws a strop. He complains when other players don't stay in character to discuss a puzzle. He once went up to me after a session because he felt that the naming convention for the last 3 towns we had been through was unclear.

I hate him with a passion in game. Out of game he's great fun to hang out with.
>>
>>46467724
>party Rogue is trying to stick his finger up the King's anus without touching the sides.

Please tell me this isn't something that actually happened in a game you played.
>>
File: this.jpg (23 KB, 385x196) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
23 KB, 385x196
>>46468549
>>
>>46478966
No, I think you know what you meant.
>>
File: morality.gif (7 KB, 273x537) Image search: [Google]
morality.gif
7 KB, 273x537
>>46466367
GMs and players who force their philosophies and politics into a game are bad enough, but what really boils my piss are GMs who want to, and I'm quoting a previous GM who tried to do this to my group: "Teach the players a lesson."

Yes, we get it, the world is a cold an cruel place, altruism is for faggots, compassion is for retards, and everyone should be in a world-encircling conga line of backstabs forever because that is humanity's true and natural state. Are we done with your Fountainhead fanfiction and Baby's First Nietzsche highschooler-level trash philosophy? I'm tired of every NPC betraying us, every villain being right, and every choice being the wrong one. Can we play our fantasy elfgame now, instead of listening to the verbal equivalent of masturbation? Fuck off.

I've only had two GMs who tried to pull shit like this and both were fucking insufferable both in and out of the game. They think the world is so harsh and mean and bad, but have never known any suffering or hardship outside of "No you shut the fuck up dad" or "People made fun of me on the internet"
>>
>>46470197
This. Im good at picking up new games very quickly and friends have stopped inviting me because it's either I just sit and do nothing or just rule the game. The worst part is I'm not good enough to play competitive.
>>
>>46480137
Were they both libertarians or an-caps?
>>
>>46468688
Probably better than the normal rate. It's meant to be close to 20% for rape I think.
>>
>>46480372
Just teenagers after getting rejected for being creepy.
>>
>>46480429
So, libertarians or an-caps.
>>
>>46467724
>One guy trying to be serious in a silly campaign of derping really only adds to the comic value
He can stop the fun every 3 minutes by being a rules lawyer.
>>
>>46480458
Pretty sure Ron Paul reproduced, mate.
>>
>>46480458
Eh you become libertarian or an cap because women are disgusting whores who have no soul. The majority of people on welfare are women and children. As a 25 year old kiss less virgin why should I be forced to pay for their welfare? They made their choice now they can starve.
>>
>>46477049
You dont know this pain like I do. My first group had 4 of these. They would all be fucking off on other players turns with phones or laptops while me and 1 other guy were really into it. When their turn would come their heads would pop up and immediately say "Wait whats gappening" the dm would baby them and explain the last bit of combat every fucking time and their heads would snap like a fucking swivel to look at me and other guy and say "so what should I do?". Eventually they had missed so much content and experience and other bullshit that me and otherguy were nearly 2 levels above them and decked in good gear. When they realized they were being left behind they bitched to the DM that we took all the good shit so each of them "found" magic chests that pretty much caught them up to us. I quit that campaign that same day when they looked at me and asked what to do i just said go fuck yourself and left.

They made simple combat encounters turn into entire sessions and it was terrible.
>>
>>46480540
>being proud of the Randlet
You can see the despair in leHappeningMan's eyes, anon.

>>46480544
>not hating women, children, and minorities on principle, not because they shafted you
Lolfgt.
>>
>>46471159
Fuck are plainswalkers still in there? I'd have thought they'd have cycled them out for a new theme rule by now.
>>
>>46477530
1 example doesnt mean the pattern is incorrect anon. I've only tried to play dnd with 2 different special sex snowflakes and both were like first anon stated. Not a broad enough pool for me to make assumptions but judging from other interactions ive had with transwhatevers i have very little doubt. I've never met a chill trans person either closest I've come to is these 2 people who were supposedly asexual? And were more or less mutes. Great artists but they never said a thing to anybody.
>>
>>46480660
I hate minorities and children on principal.
>>
>>46479096
My ex dm was like this. I dmed for him once and just told him there was a league of powerful assassins after him for his backstory and anytime he tried to be a total dick they would fuck him up till the party found him. Didn't want to be that GM but wanted to show him I'm not putting up with his bullshit either.
>>
>>46480740
I like this. An order of assassin's that relentlessly stalk people known to be assholes, but only intervene to fuck them up when they're actively being a dick.
>>
>>46466367
I want to know if I'm that guy and obviously this is told from my perspective so i guess try to keep an open mind but im gonna give an example of some shit I pulled that broke a campaign.

>be warrior
>fighting in arena
>big bad guy shows up with army of dragons burning the city
>hole in earth opens by baddies command
>super legendary sword at bottom with stairs on his side
>obviously I want that sword
>use skills/rope to get to bottom of hole much faster than bad guy
>dm realizes whats happening and has a dragon attack
>party protects me
>DM says there's no way I will get the sword without magic
>roll 3 nat 20s trying to retrieve sword
>DM glares at me and says fuck you you pull out the sword and become a litch
>ends game ands starts back at the beggining of encounter by having bad guy chain me to the ground

I just saw an opportumity to stop the bad guy and get good loot. Dm got mad at me and punished me.
>>
>>46480819
I really dont like limiting my characters but the guy is a major min/maxer who plays the game to beat everybody else so I kept a safety card. I only used it once when he was going to try to kill another player for loot when it made no sense for him to betray them.
>>
>>46480700
Any minority or child who stands on top of the school headmaster is probably not a good person to begin with, anon.
>>
>>46480831
If the party protected you without you really having to ask, the DM is just being a dick and not accounting for creative thinking and good rolls.
Did he do open or hidden rolls?
>>
>>46480831
How do you always seem to get multiple natural 20s just when something improbable is going to happen?

Do you just cheat at the dice or is your need to tell a fake story that pressing?
>>
>>46480884
I swear on my life I didnt cheat. I used the dms dice on the table in front of many other people. We have never yelled so loud at a campaign before. That was just an example of me successfully messing things up there are stories that go the other way.
>>
>>46470623
This

The hobby is kill, learn to cope with
>>
>>46480865
He did hidden roles i didnt notice your post but
>>46480911
I did open roles. I had 4 turns before the bad guy got to me I think its been 2 years since this particular event and first roll was a bust. The only reason i had to make 3 nat 20s was I was hit by the dragon during the 2nd one so he said that was weakening me.
>>
I hate one guy from my group that every character in D&D is a neutral evil thiefling warlock
>>
>>46480949
Yeah, you're in the clear then, DM was just butt mad and bad, especially if he does hidden rolls. Cause that's a sign of a bad DM.
>>
>>46481006
Most other things I've done are pretty neutral i guess the biggest dick thing I've done was disguise myself and send all the bad guys after my party because I was nearly dead in a dungeon with no way to heal and the party was wanting to press on. When i said I would just retreat and get some rest i ran into enemy reinforcements so before they saw me i disguised myself as a dying minion of theres and sent theme on after the party but with a lot of false info about what was actually happening to help.
>>
>>46481110
I cannot type for the life of me. Ignore my mistakes I'm just retarded.
>>
>>46468688
>People actually being raped in /tg/ environments
Thanks I needed that laugh
>>
>>46481110
>>46481126
No problem, to be honest you sound like a resourceful faggot and not "that guy."
10/10 would steal priceless artifacts with
>>
>>46478954
>>46478966
Nice slip
>>
>>46481203
Its funny you say that because in my next 5e campaign i want to make a bard into a swindling scoundrel with an eye for artifacts.
>>
>>46470623

>so many people in this hobby are shit, that this hobby can't be enjoyed in practice because it's too shit

ayo hol' up. *smacks lips*
what if, bear with me here,
what if it's YOU that is shit?

You are your own least common denominator, if everything you join is shit, it all has one thing in common.
>>
>>46468524
You actually SHOULD state out loud your life total after any changes in Magic. It's probably even required at higher RELs. It's purely for communication, sometimes mistakes happen, one player forgets to mark in a life point change or two and that can have a huge impact on how a game turns out. Saying your life total out loud every time is the best measure to avoid those kinds of situations.
>>
>>46480920
Needs more neck beard. Racism is still a very fun hobby
>>
>>46466367
Rule lawyers in tabletop RPG

I have absolutely zero tolerance for this shit. I easily accept power-gamers and often contemplate attention to detail required for their builds/actions/strategies, I have no problem whatsoever with drama queens, I fully embrace loonies that do semi-random shit for fun and giggles.
But the moment you start rule lawyering - the doors are right there.
>>
>>46468395
Powergamers are fun and easy to manage, really.

The true bane of role-playing games are fucking rule-lawyers.
And when rule lawyers is also a power-gamer, I want to fucking tear their fucking head off, right with the spine.
>>
>>46471041
But I had a lot of these problems going in - /tg/ didn't make me bitter and angry, it just gave me the words and 'experience' so that I could voice my opinions without feeling as if I was the badwrongfun.
>>
>>46466367
Worlds quietest person, worlds loudest person, person that talks shop about shit they only know the bare surface of so when actual coversarion happens it goes literally nowhere with a lot of back peddling and self-contradictory self-corrections, people that make noises when they eat whether its constantly making smacking noises or going "mmmm" or anything godfuckingsmanskdodndj, idiots that bring special or "lucky" dice then refuse to use the dice tower because then why use the special dice that roll the way they want?, smartass's that keep going on tangents from shit during simple conversations until they've completely covered dice, the history of dice, the various materials and techniques used to create fucking dice, along with dice masters and their dice achievements, to how to properly roll dice and then they get upset that they just went through all that effort when we aren't interested in that shit even though all we did was ask who brought the damn dice this time, people who can't learn the fucking rules even though its written down in the fucking rulebook they borrowed.
>>
>>46469784
>the "one or multiple persons' opinions = whole board's opinions" meme
my favorite one
>Alignments are good
now this one i know you're wrong
it's almost universally agreed here that alignments are shit
>>
>>46479178
>exclude people and be shitty to them just because the big scary SJWs latched onto those groups of people
But the tabletop, vidya, comics, etc. crowds don't actually believe their hobbies are white man only. The only people who think they do are the SJWs. The SJWs being the ones who unironically believe that certain cultural items are exclusively (and ustifiably) owned by a (nonwhite) skin color.
>>
>>46469039
It's more like selling one car because it's engine isn't a piece of shit like that other one over there (that tons of people drive).

3.X has a working engine, and it's entirely possible to go places in it and have fun, but you can't just hop in and zip off like you can with a relatively balanced system. With 3.X you need people who want (and know how) to not break the game (or don't mind being distinctly weaker than other players).
>>
>>46476743
Backwards, you have it.
>>
>>46481690
But he doesn't just say "I have 15 health". He says "19-18-17-16-15".
>>
>>46482282
>people that make noises when they eat whether its constantly making smacking noises or going "mmmm"

This exactly. My roommate's girlfriend constantly makes "mmmm" sounds whenever she eats. It's gotten to the point where I just don't stick around whenever it's mealtime.
>>
>>46469784
If /tg/ has told me one thing, it's actually that you can't simply make two headed arabian-flavored dwarves and call it a day.
>>
>>46486703
Jesus fuck, this with the heat of a thousand arc welders. Close your mouth you fucking animal.

For me it's character who can't plan for their turn before it actually comes up. You have EVERYONE ELSE'S TURN to come up with at least the most basic idea for what you want to do. Yeah, that might change because of something that happens on the turn before yours, but every single time? Almost no one in my group even begins thinking about their strategy before their turn comes up and as a result every fucking turns starts with 3 minutes of "Uuuuuuuuh......um......do you guys think I should......um.......maybe if I.......hmmm........"
>>
File: my HD is not a costume.jpg (63 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
my HD is not a costume.jpg
63 KB, 600x800
>>46466367
>faux-intellectuals
I'm guessing they saturate just about every level of /tg/ related hobbies. But basically anyone high INT (or not) with low WIS and no CHA. (in addition to the standard no DEX, STR, or CON.

>the guy who can't hide his power level
I'm pretty /pol/ tier but I realize that you can't expect other people to put up with bizarro-tumblr when they're trying to just chill and play games so I mostly keep that kind of crap restricted to in-game baiting of white knights. But there's always that one guy that has to be 'kek guise, rape 'em all and gas the kikes amirite?' Ruins any kind of fun that could be had with some low-key facism.

>the woman
She's a woman, and no matter what she says or does, this poor soul just cannot escape the fact that she is simultaneously the object of all lust, discomfort, and misdirected notions of injustice at the table.
She might actually be a fun player with a group of well-adjusted people. But you aren't playing with well-adjusted people. You're playing with nerds: jilted, jealous, horny, nasty nerds. If she's a nerd as well, it's twice as bad if not worse. If she's actually attractive, it really complicates matters, as half your party will trip over themselves to help her unasked at every turn, and the other half will be pouting about 'normies' because they're so uncomfortable with being reminded that they have no life on their evening off.

>The GM
He literally can do nothing right. Anything he gets right is immediately overshadowed by his mountain of failures. You could become him, but then you'd be the permanent failure of a father figure that holds together these autistic man-children, and nobody wants that. So every day you sit by and watch him fumble through another campaign he lost interest in five sessions ago while the rest of the group alternates between wiping cheeto dust on their shirts and shouting over each other in a futile struggle to maintain a non-existent alpha status in fantasyland
>>
>>46466977

My group's That Guy has a list of characteristics that you will find in every character he makes.

>heterochromia
>wearing a mask
>former noble, prince, etc.
>a backstory that involves absurd things that would be tough for a level 10 character, much less a fucking level 1
>drugs and alcohol

His characters don't always have all of those traits, but they'll always have at least one or two, guaranteed. You could make a fucking bingo card out of it.
>>
File: ban assault bongs.jpg (204 KB, 461x716) Image search: [Google]
ban assault bongs.jpg
204 KB, 461x716
>>46487425
Which reminds me,
>the Stoner
We get it, you smoke weed. You actually smoke a tremendous amount of weed. Unfortunately the other two people at the table that know what your'e talking about know better than to bore everyone else with discourse on the enormous bong you just bought or what your favorite strain is. Not that you'd know, since you've been having an tangential conversation for the last half hour with nobody because your focus has been slowly eroded to a vapor as thin as the oxygen in your bloodstream. If everybody isn't fucked up, you don't get fucked up. That's a rule of life. It isn't that hard.

>Le drunken master
We also get it, drunk characters are really amusing for 10 minutes or so. However, your randumb antics get tired quickly when we have actual shit to do and quite frankly if we're going to spend all night pretending to get smashed one has to ask why we even bother playing the game when we could be at a bar.

>Captain Meme
Stop.
a big guy every once in awhile is hard to resist. That's fine. But seriously put a lid on it.
>>
>>46470623

Um, excuse me, waiter? This is the wrong pasta. I ordered lasagna, but this is cold spaghetti. Please take this back to the kitchen and get me my actual order. Thanks.
>>
>>46467338
I fucking hate this. If nothing else, use spray paint to make them a colour.
>>
>>46466367
I am growing increasingly aggrivated at people making that guy, that player, that dm, and other bitching threads.

It highlights how awful everyone involved in the bitching is.
>>
>>46487737
It's usually people fishing for funny horror stories.
>>
>that one couple you play with who are always all over each other
This is a game, not a fucking makeout session. You both being ugly as sin doesn't help either.
>>
>>46471041
I agree with this guy 100%.
The biggest problem on /tg/ right now is everyone is up their own ass about how awful everything except what they specifically like.

If anything doesn't cater directly and 100% to them, it's garbage.
>>
>>46487756
yeah, but what they get is a bunch of horrible people complaining about petty or nonsensical things.
>>
File: lawful gnodab paladin.png (80 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
lawful gnodab paladin.png
80 KB, 500x272
>>46471041
>badwrongfun
Badong.
The word is Badong.
And form now on, I stand for the opposite of Badong: Gnodab.
>>
>>46477530
>>46477479
I still can't understand how you can be "genderfluid". I've met trans people and didn't gave a shit, but genderfluid sounds like a load of bullcrap.
When I was younger I would fantasize about becoming a woman or a trap because I was an insecure kissless teen virgin weirdo. That's the only way I can understand that so-called "genderfluidity": as a sexual fantasy. It's a fancier way of saying you're bi. This shit is only giving a bad image of legitimate trans people.
>>
>>46487860
My nigga
>>
File: you're hurting me baby.png (2 MB, 1280x1149) Image search: [Google]
you're hurting me baby.png
2 MB, 1280x1149
>>46487865
>>46477530
>>46478862
>>46478390
>fops are okay, what's with gay people
>gay people are okay, what's with these trans weirdos
>trans are okay, what is the deal with 'genderfluid'
>genderfluid is alright I guess, but why furries?
>inb4 leh slippery slope. You people have been constantly distancing yourself from the next degree to advance your agenda then damning those that don't catch up.

Stop this childish shit. You are wasting infinite amounts of people's time, money, and liberties because you feel the need to dichotomize exactly what gets you off and turn it into a lifestyle.

You were not born with an innate need for penis
your soul was not made to rock a sweet boipussy and a pair of DDs
you feel like gender X one day and gender Y another because, as you've been saying for so long, gender is a social construct, and it exists to give stability to what would otherwise be a confusing and unnecessary orgy of fetishes untold. You feel displaced because you were provided no foundation of culture in childhood and your unguided young minds latched onto whatever was available for cultural normalization. That's it. Your life is centered around metropolitan flights of fancy that could not exist outside of a wealthy, bored, hedonist society.

You could keep forcing your insecurities on the world and derailing perfectly good (and quite frankly fun) boards, traditions, even lives with this absurd business, or you could be adults; admit that a world exists outside your crotch, and enjoy the body fate has granted you, and perhaps you might even find some kind of sexual stability in your life that doesn't push you to ever increasing heights of escapism, resulting in nothing but suicide and shame

now can we please get back to hating the faggots at hand?
>>
>>46468603
What are you even quoting?
>>
>>46469941
I have a problem of inadvertantly doing this.

>Friend wants to play a game
>Wow this is really fun
>I either lose because they're more experienced or its close
>Really like the game so do independent research on it at home
>Next times we play I start demolishing them
>They either stop wanting to play or it becomes an arms race

I don't even mean to tryhard, it's just if I like something I want to know everything I can about it.
Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.