[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WotC was the worst thing to happen to the fantasy genre. With
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 13
File: Airships and God killing.jpg (263 KB, 1032x602) Image search: [Google]
Airships and God killing.jpg
263 KB, 1032x602
WotC was the worst thing to happen to the fantasy genre.
With the death of WHFB we aren't going to see any more settings grounded in low fantasy (though it did reach crazy highs, it was still rooted in some realism).

From here on in its going to be:
Powerlevels to insane levels that make any plausablity go out the window
Noble Savage Orcs didn't do no nuffin
Flashy magic and animu runes on everything
Hajabs and sassy "PoC"
MEGA PAULDRONS (seriously warmachine has some that put SMs to shame)
Airships and crystals
MMO mechanics
Unquieness > Flavor or depth
all grit cleaned up
["boring" race here] as Aztecs despite not even understanding who either of them were before
and god help you if you want to see a standard knight on horseback with a lance or any kind of gentry/noble who isn't a spoiled fuccboi and/or plotting cunt whos goal is to destroy the noble savage orcs (because not letting them into your world is evil). And if you think elves can be badasses beyond native american/wikka forest savages, don't hold your breath

Plus the fantasy genre community sucks, ever been to a MTG tourney? Neckbeards aside, just because Incase does some good art doesn't mean those people are good for things over all.
I'm fucking mad
>>
Didn't people say the same thing about TSR?

You can still run your games and set your stories in whatever setting you like. Don't let one company stop you.

But in terms of player expectations for fantasy role-playing, I think role-playing video games caused far more damage.
>>
they don't build 'em like they use'tah.
>>
>>46458452
This. Videogames definitely.
>>
File: Its all ogre.png (925 KB, 922x681) Image search: [Google]
Its all ogre.png
925 KB, 922x681
>>46458399
We are all grieving the death in different ways man. Anger is the first stage.
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 722x525) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 722x525
>>46458399
>"MMO mechanics"
>Runes are an anime thing
>Complaining about art of nonwhite people in RPG books.
>>
>>46458795
>>>/tumblr/
Don't stay you might get raped
>>
>>46458399
>whining about nonwhites
go back to /pol/
>>
>>46458399
>Implying low fantasy is ever going to go away entirely while people still watch the LOTR adaptations

Kay, pal. Whatever you say
>>
>>46459156
Not OP but I think its really going to be a death of mid fantasy, where things are magical but not super extreme.
>>
>>46459210
That's probably true, which is a shame because mid-fantasy has always been really neat.
Honestly, it's probably just a phase brought on by LOTR/Game of Thrones/various hollywood movies that's put mid-fantasy out of the spotlight for now. Someone'll do something cool and high-profile with the concept and people will pay attention again eventually
>>
File: Bitch Please.jpg (21 KB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
Bitch Please.jpg
21 KB, 350x233
Oh boy, I do love me some bait, and this is worthy of copypasta if it isn't already.
Let's see here:

>Powerlevels to insane levels that make any plausablity go out the window
>Hajabs and sassy "PoC"
>Flashy magic and animu runes on everything
>and god help you if you want to see a standard knight on horseback with a lance or any kind of gentry/noble who isn't a spoiled fuccboi and/or plotting cunt whos goal is to destroy the noble savage orcs (because not letting them into your world is evil).
Welcome to Pathfinder, would you like to Unleash your PC today?

>MEGA PAULDRONS (seriously warmachine has some that put SMs to shame)
>MMO mechanics
Hello, 4E.

>Airships and crystals
>Unquieness > Flavor or depth
>all grit cleaned up
I didn't know they put out an official Final Fantasy RPG.

>["boring" race here] as Aztecs despite not even understanding who either of them were before
Lizardmen (sorry, lizardPEOPLE) want to have a discussion with you

> And if you think elves can be badasses beyond native american/wikka forest savages, don't hold your breath
Fucking please, if it was the other way around you'd be bitching just as hard and everyone knows it.

>Noble Savage Orcs didn't do no nuffin
I will direct you to this link, which details Unearthed Arcana lore written by Gary Gygax (who you may curse at your discretion) about how allegedly orcs were refused land by the other races and thus have to fight for it, which you may also take as you will.
>http://www.orcs.ca/orcsmain/roleplaydndgruumsh.html

>Plus the fantasy genre community sucks
Considering you're part of it, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
>>
>>46458399
>we aren't going to see any more settings grounded in low fantasy
...do you not have a bunch of people who want stuff in similar tone to Game of Thrones? I've got them by the dozens here.
>>
File: 1459006950778.jpg (110 KB, 474x836) Image search: [Google]
1459006950778.jpg
110 KB, 474x836
>>46459845
>Fucking please, if it was the other way around you'd be bitching just as hard and everyone knows it.
wut?
I can't hear you over how well dressed these guys were
>>
>>46460111
>a resolution for ants
>>
>>46460147
have some breathtaking HD
>>
I am a white nationalist with a classical leaning like you. OP, and I'll just play pathfinder or 3.5

Our culture is in the shits right now so of course businesses will stoop low to meet their future customer base.

Don't pay WotC any money. Starve the beast.
>>
>>46458399
>complains about lack of low fantasy
>meanwhile ASOIAF, ASOIAF everywhere

take your head out of your ass.
>>
>>46460242
But I'm not white, I'm just tired of being called a terrorist/rapist for being a man and happy to be born one, as well as hetrosexual, and being called racist for not wanting every race shoehorned into my games along with genders that are mostly made from random prefixes
>>
>>46460242
>Stop liking what I don't like
>>
>>46460296
No one is persecuting you, anon. A few people are saying stupid stuff on the internet, that's all.
>>
>>46460296
I respect that you are starting to take your own side. Good luck with your life
>>
>>46459845
I don't undertand how your counterarguments work. Your admiting that these are things in modern fantasy, and just handwaving the elf stuff
>>
File: 1459628704690.jpg (33 KB, 326x277) Image search: [Google]
1459628704690.jpg
33 KB, 326x277
>>46460324
>straight hair
>>
>>46458399
Stop playing shitty games made for kids who play wow.

That's it.

The fantasy genre as a whole is doing great, you just think the world is falling apart because your view of it is limited to a game that's so disconnected from mainstream fantasy that it's it's own genre.

If you say someone "do you mean like, fantasy fantasy or D&D fantasy" they totally understand the distinction.

All WotC ever did was take all the fantasy inspiration and turn it into a boring kitchensink setting they could sell to kids.

They didn't ruin it except for people who only ever read books and play games that says wizards of the coast on it.

One quadrillion more people care about Game of Thrones than care about D&D.
>>
>>46460242
>Pathfinder

You realise their developers think that any god in setting is evil if it does not espouse modern left wing morals right?
>>
>>46460296
>>/pol/

>>46458399
Yeah. Nerddom has finally left the suburban basement. You can talk to normal people about playing it and capture an entire rooms attention by sharing personal stories about your fictional adventures. We live in an age now where you DON'T get laid unless you know what star wars is.

>Hajabs and sassy "PoC"

I somewhat agree with your political leanings, but the difference here is that there isn't a demographic yelling for fantasy to accomodate them in the tabletop world. those people of color and creeds are actually creating these things themselves and bringing their own culture into an inherently multicultural genre of entertainment.

>>noble savage orcs
This has happened across all of western culture these days. We don't look up to the heroes anymore, we look up to the underdog. We're in love with our orphans who go on to do great things more than our heroes born with everything.

>Airships and crystals
fantasy changes over time, Dune and Conan novels are great examples of how it changes over time.

>ever been to a MTG tourney? Neckbeards aside

Ever been to an FNM? There are girls there now, and socially well adjusted people to hang out with. You don't feel like you're stuck on the short bus anymore.
>>
>>46460660
how was that even pol?
>>
>>46460660
As much as I respect you for arguing with that raving lunatic, I think you both have a very narrow view of the genre. None of the things either of you mention are "huge trends" as much as just things that exist alongside other things.

What are some of th biggest fantasy franchises today? Harry Potter. A Song of Ice and Fire. Neither even care about orcs, elves or airships. One of them is an upbeat school mystery book series that morphs into a darker, chosen one fighting evil type series, the other is a gritty fantasy intrigue story with liberal application of character death, horrible events and asshole antagonists. Fantasy is alive and well and varied, anyone who reads more than forgotten realms novels and Young Adult fiction knows this.

Every single one of these threads basically just go "Ediction X of D&D is significantly different from edition Y when it comes to lore, so clearly FANTASY is broken", and it's just so stupid and untrue.
>>
This has to be real. No one these days puts half this much effort into their trolling. This is the biggest bunch of butthurt REEEEEEE I've seen in ages, and I spend a fair amount of time shitposting on /r9k/

>>46460245
Let's not forget Gentleman Bastard, Kushiel's Legacy (to an extent), and the fact that 5e is the lowest powerlevel edition since AD&D even if it's still nowhere near low fantasy.

>>46460660
>Yeah. Nerddom has finally left the suburban basement. You can talk to normal people about playing it and capture an entire rooms attention by sharing personal stories about your fictional adventures. We live in an age now where you DON'T get laid unless you know what star wars is.
The mainstreaming of nerd culture has been awesome. More people, and different kinds of people, getting involved in these hobbies has led to a lot more variety to choose from, and it's way easier to find people to do them with and convince new people to try them out. The people who whine about it remind me of the popular kids from some shitty high school movie, who measure the value of something by how many people they can actively exclude from it. The difference is these people actually exist.
>I somewhat agree with your political leanings, but the difference here is that there isn't a demographic yelling for fantasy to accomodate them in the tabletop world. those people of color and creeds are actually creating these things themselves and bringing their own culture into an inherently multicultural genre of entertainment.
If afrofuturism and that one fantasy vidya from Cameroon are any indication, it's definitely a good thing. Again, even if you don't care for it more choices is never a bad thing.
>>
>>46460916
>>46460908
>>46460580

This.

Arguing about "the state of fantasy" based on how butthurt you are about the differences between D&D editions is like saying that winter is here because you mostly hang out in a walk-in freezer.

Op needs to stick his head outside once in a while and get some perspective.
>>
>>46458484
Seriously?

With shit like Bloodborne/Souls series and Witcher (and a number of games trying to ape them) gaining popularity, you are trying to pin the blame on videogames?

Your view is about as narrow as OP's.
>>
Noble savage orcs will never be a good or worthwhile idea.

Its actually somewhat disgusting people think violent barbarians deserve to be looked up to because they are somehow 'oppressed'.
>>
>>46461229
Arcanum did it right. I think orcs as violent barbarians is as stupid as having them to be noble savages.
>>
>>46461139
soulsborne and the witcher are amazing, but they're really only popular with a really niche audience. most people's exposure to fantasy and rpgs is through either watered-down mass appeal stuff or shitty, grindy MMOs. WOW, skyrim, and mayyybe final fantasy are kind of the genre-defining works right now.
>>
>>46459845
>MEGA PAULDRONS (seriously warmachine has some that put SMs to shame)
>MMO mechanics
>Hello, 4E.

Neither of these is true though.
>>
>>46460439
Because it's not 'From here on out', it's already 'here', it's been here since Pathfinder came out (AKA +6 years) or even since World of Warcraft (a full decade) and if you're going to point fingers, you'd best get some more hands, because this didn't just come out of nowhere.
I came here to laugh at you, because you're acting like this is some sort of new development when it really, really isn't. Modern fantasy, better or worse, has been 'it' for since before most people could post here.
>>46461644
I'll give you pauldrons, I misplaced that.
>>
>>46461843
OP said WotC, they've been doing D&D for almost 20 years now. He's still wrong but you didn't get the timeframe either.

Also, "4e is a MMO" is a meme.
>>
>>46458399
So you haven't played 5e then?
>>
File: Neverwinter[1].jpg (544 KB, 913x654) Image search: [Google]
Neverwinter[1].jpg
544 KB, 913x654
>>46461973
but it literally is an MMO
>>
File: photo.jpg (78 KB, 537x539) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
78 KB, 537x539
>>46462068
3.5 was an mmo first
>>
>>46458399
>With the death of WHFB we aren't going to see any more settings grounded in low fantasy (though it did reach crazy highs, it was still rooted in some realism).
Because there are only so many variants of Europe "but with the boarders scrambled" you can use and stay interesting. I don't give a fuck about realism, just give me internally consistent settings.
>>
>>46461973
Sorry about that, then, I underestimated OP's scale of grogarism.
Figured if he were that old he wouldn't be wasting his time here.
>>
>>46462068
>>46462095
But AD&D was the first D&D and the first Neverwinter MMO.
>>
File: 31VPRNOKoaL.jpg (12 KB, 250x224) Image search: [Google]
31VPRNOKoaL.jpg
12 KB, 250x224
>>46461644
>>46461843

>Warmachine doesn't have mega pauldrons

I beg to differ.
>>
>>46463391
Warmachine and 4e are different things, anon.
Well, possibly not that different, since they're both RPGs AND minis games :^)
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.