[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I forgot this existed. Is it any good? I've been wanting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: pic2411639_md[1].jpg (61 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
pic2411639_md[1].jpg
61 KB, 500x332
I forgot this existed.
Is it any good? I've been wanting a good tactics board game lately.
>>
>>46443958
Not bad for 30$

It's a bit simplistic, it's really a kids game in the vein of heroscape. Quite enjoyable, and the tiles and minis are almost exactly like 'scape
>>
>>46444165
Heroscape always looked fun, shame it died.
This doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement though.
>>
>>46444165
>It's a bit simplistic
Is this simplistic for a strategy board game? I never played Heroscape but I found the rules extremely vague and confusing, and often kind of arbitrary and contrived. The book it comes with doesn't explain engagement, for example, at all, despite having references to it, and I find that mechanic to be so contrived me and the guys I play it with have a hard remembering to do it just because it doesn't come naturally to me and feels like some sort of concession to melee units. But maybe people who are used to these kinds of games find it more comfortable.

I do think it's fun to play, but I find with my lack of experience with the genre that it was hard to pick up and get into. I'm still not sure we play it 100% correctly. And there's lots of holes in the rulebook because I think it assumes familiarity with Heroscape.
>>
I got this plus the expansion so I can use the minis in DnD. I gotta rebase them though.
>>
>>46443958
the only reason I'd buy this was if i were to use it with my heroscape set. the battlefield customization is extremely minimum and miniatures, other than the planeswalkers, look awful. you dont get much for what you're paying, especially if you compare it to heroscape. the heroscape starter sets cost $40 when they first came out, and you got a shit ton more terrain and miniatures.
>>
It's a good game, except advantage always seems to go to the person who picked their planeswalker last.
>>
Sounds pretty meh.
Is there a better tactics board game out there? Heroscape is prohibitively expensive on ebay.
>>
>>46443958
Fuck awful according to every review I have seen on it.

Very low budget game
>>
>>46447348
>>46446946
The quality of the miniatures might be lacking, but that doesn't detract from gameplay unless you paint minis for warhammer or something 2+ hours a week.
>>
>>46447380
For $40 (price of hero scape starter set) you can buy the base set and the expansion for $40. At least that's how much it cost when I got it all on sale.
>>
>>46447433
Where did you find heroscape that cheap? I've only ever seen it on ebay for way more than that.
>>
>>46447411
i just feel as though they're jewing you when they have some figure painted and some not.
>>
>>46447406
Really? Most reviews I've seen note potential (since it's really just Heroscape) but also lack of support as being its biggest fault. That doesn't sound like something that'd translate to "fuck awful".
>>
>>46447459
Found something at a hobby shop on sale for $40 that said "heroscape" on it. Might have just been a rules expansion or something. But the planeswalker a expansion+base set gets you about 6 planeswalkers, a eldrazi Titan, 27 other miniatures, and that's basically all you'll ever need to play the game. It's fun and the different game modes and play styles of each color will keep it entertaining for the first ten ours at least.
>>
>>46447524
I guess but I think it looks fine to me. I think it helps to distinguish between the planeswalkers and non-planeswalkers. From what I've heard Heroscape is about wiping out the entire opposing army, whereas the most common game modes for this are just killing the opposing planeswalker. So there is a practical reason for having the planeswalker painted and the other units unpainted. And there's a nice detail with, for example, Chandra's phoenixes and firecats in the first set being translucent but the goblins in the next set being opaque, since the former two are made of fire and the goblins are solid.
>>
File: file.png (738 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
file.png
738 KB, 800x534
>>46447531
The board and minis are super low quality, like Chinese knockoffs manage to be nicer. They wobble and don't even sit flat.

The rules themselves are basically a simplified heroscape yet still really poorly explained and quite a few interpretations have to be made unless you immediately consult the internet but the 5 walkers are so god damn poorly balanced. An expansion or two has come out since we played it so maybe balance was fixed but no one in my playgroup cared enough to check.

Just play Heroscape if you want to play Heroscape.

I cant stress highly how bad the minis are, I'd take photos of them but I left the game with all the others at a buddies house so settle for some simple google searched ones.
>>
>>46447690
I thought the only really poorly balanced walker was Gideon since melee feels so shit in this game and the rhinos seem fucking terrible to me.

I also never noticed that the figures didn't sit flat. I mean it doesn't really affect anything for me. I do think the paintjobs are awful but I've heard a lot of people saying they're "decent" or at least "on par" with Heroscape's so I figured maybe that was just the status quo.
>>
>>46447573
from what i've seen, there are multiple minis of the same creature, making the planeswalkers stand out from the rest. even in something as simple as chess where all of the pieces of one team are painted the same color, but you're still able to tell each piece from each other.
>>
>>46447796
That's true, but it is a perfectly practical reason anyway. Chess doesn't really work with different colored miniatures, but games like this can do that.
>>
>>46447690
But anon. I don't have $300 to buy enough minis for a small match.
>>
>>46447690
You seem to have a real hard-on for heroscape. Please elaborate on how a $20 game that delivers (apparently) nearly the exact same experience is sub-par to a much more expensive version that requires buying individual minis at Warhammer 40k prices.
>>
>>46447976
>You seem to have a real hard-on for heroscape
I actually disliked Heroscape with the exception that the boards looked super pretty.

What does that have to do with the fact that this is a dumbed down and poorly balanced version for heroscape?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.