[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RateMySetting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15
File: elton-john-giant-center-hershey.jpg (911 KB, 1862x1242) Image search: [Google]
elton-john-giant-center-hershey.jpg
911 KB, 1862x1242
Do you have a setting or entire world in mind for your next campaign that you want advice on? Is it too unrealistic? Cliche? Doesn't explain certain magical powers?

Look no further, because this is a thinly veiled share your ideas thread! Keep it short or make it long, it doesn't matter. All that's needed is an idea that you want to flesh out.

Here's mine:
>Mecha demons
>>
>>46429019
Wait-- demons in Mechas, demons that are mechas or demons that are mechanical?

my idea:

>magical powers from eating magical creatures
>>
>>46430316
Permanent powers or temporary?
It'd make more sense if you only have the powers as long as the magical creature/plants is in your system. Then part of the fun is timing it so that you have the powers last long enough for whatever purpose you need them for.
Then magic powers are rationed into multiple meals and are finite.
>>
>>46430499
Nah, If magical energy is being gained from breaking down the creature in your body, it makes just as much sense that you'd retain the energy as long as no other biological process is expending it.
>>
The FTL engine is made by using a little known property of Direct Current electricity- it creates a quantum tunneling effect along the line of the current that continues even beyond the Dynamo.

This is for light sci-fi by the way.
>>
File: 351.jpg (10 KB, 168x300) Image search: [Google]
351.jpg
10 KB, 168x300
Dorfs are antmen (crafts, arrogance and live underground)
Elfs are big-eyed brittle creatures from the ideal planet (possibly cradle of all life) (tree-hugging because if something minor happens with ecology THEY ARE FUCKED, looking at others llike "meh lesser plebs")
Humans are biomorphing reptilians that fit themselves to anything (universalism)
Orcs are humans (strong, ferocious, courageous)
Ogres are cancer-scorps but with a little brain (dumb and strong)
>>
I've had this idea for a game in mind for ages now inspired by Firefly and Blade Runner. In the not too distant future, humanity's begun to colonize space, building an empire around the galaxy. None of the planets are inhabitable including Earth, but they've built hundreds of space stations to accommodate the world population. FTL travel is a thing, but there are no ayys in the setting yet. Laser weapons are a thing, but they're experimental weaponry only used by military elite. The premise for the game I may or may not do is that the party are accompanying a team of scientists from one side of the empire to the other and beyond to reach a newly discovered planet that may be inhabitable. Thoughts?

>>46431980
I like the idea of dorfs based on ants. Would they have a leader they worship as a deity?
>>
File: qt scorpion.jpg (108 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
qt scorpion.jpg
108 KB, 700x525
>>46431980
Devonian fauna setting when
guys how could Devonian fauna come back to Earth like in Ponyo
>>
I've been thinking about a setting for a modern supers game where none of the cliches are adhered to or even necessarily present.
Like Heroes, only not hidden.
Just some percentage of the population gain powers, everyone knows it happens, and society has incorporated it and adjusted.
You might have supercops, but masked heroes would be odd.

I've had a hard time envisioning a stable world with powers that doesn't rely on /co/ conventions and instead is "realistic" and thoughtful.
Has there already been a setting like this that I missed?
It seems likely but I haven't seen one.
>>
I have one.
Pathfinder system with homebrew setting.
A rough smashing together of the settings from the video games series Fable and Overlord, as well as a hefty dose of Warhammer Fantasy to influence some of the races.

Thoughts?

Tried to run the campaign with a group, but didn't like most of the people, so I quit.
Tried it again with another group, and in the very first session they derailed it so hard when the three of them decided to all play as Halflings supremacists and wage a campaign of genocide against all the non-Halflings in their lands. They were even referring to one of the PC's as Half-ler (Halfling Hitler).
>>
>>46429019
Doom/10
its a positive rating
>>
Typical high fantasy world technologically advances to mid-20th century technology, while cosmic horrors begin to influence the realm more and more. Play as an agent of SUNDER and do everything you can to buy the world of Terra another day
>>
So my idea is that my adventurers will be shipwrecked mysteriously (captain goes mad and orders the ship into a reed for no real reason or something) on an uncharted and alien continent. They will need to fight to survive and they will find others who have arrived here in a similar way and just trying to make it. They find out that something has been drawing people here for a long time and they try to figure out what it is while traveling farther and farther inland and meeting more and more people who have tried to make it here and survive. They'll have run into small towns that have sprung up from survivors that came here from the main world. There will be tons of ruins from past attempts to survive here over the years all over the place and and also older ruins of a long dead ancient empire, think something like long dead aztec/mayan/roman kinda mashup. I've got more but if anyone has any questions or wants to chime in I'll talk a bit more
>>
>>46429019
>>Mecha demons

I see your mecha demons and raise you
>aged ww2 veterans in mobile suits.
Because getting young children to fight in suits is stupid compared to getting vets from GREATEST GENERATION to fight once again in mecha.

It wasnt really my idea, it was some anons from a mecha thread. But its awesome.
>>
Actually i can expand on this idea
>>46433831
With one that i had a long time ago.

This is set in Britain for no particular reason. All the countries greatest soldiers are given the oppertunaty to be frozen cryogenically at the peak of their career. Their families are reimbursed for the loss of their man and the soldier gets to see what the future is like when he is thawed out. They are only thawed out in a time of great crisis, or up to 15, 25, or 50 years passed, whichever they select, so they dont have too much of a culture shock.

If you combine this with mecha and future technology, you could have a game where you play a soldier from just about ANY time period if you want. However it fits the setting best if this is from the 90s when cryogenics was just being developed.

And ofcourse they could also play an aged veteran as per the first idae...
>>
>>46433230
kawaaaaaiiiiiii
>>
>MTG Planswalker with JJBA Stand-User who can transform their Stand into Giant Mecha.
>>
>>46429019
>mecha demons
But that's my setting.
>It wasnt really my idea, it was some anons from a mecha thread. But its awesome.
W-What was it?
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 592x406) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 592x406
>>46429019
I've been wanting to make a setting on a tidally locked planet, but I keep putting it off.

>>46433540
Sounds a lot like X-men to me.
>>
>>46433808
Basically Path of Exile
>>
>>46433679
>fable and overlord
sounds awesome already, care to explain more?
>>
File: Mettra-Rocca.png (29 KB, 1004x402) Image search: [Google]
Mettra-Rocca.png
29 KB, 1004x402
A huge floating island in the sky, covered in sand. In the middle is the fortress that houses the crystal keeping the Island afloat, surrounded by monster and a huge sandstorm. The problem is that most people don't know that the crystal is what is keeping the island up, only that is produces a tremendous amount of energy and they are determined to take advantage of it.
The fortress is still inhabited by various servants of the Architect: golems, undead, fanatics, dragons, etc
For anyone asking, you can't dig and try to come through the side of the fortress: the wind between the rocks and the Fortress are fast enough to tear you to shreds and send you flying.
Going from the top wouldn't work either as the fortress make this huge sand vortex that blows away pretty much anything that tries to go through.
The rest of the Island is safe, but from time big sandstorms come up and you better find shelter (unless you like being torn to shreds).
The pic is the Island cut in half.
>>
>>46429019
>Steampunk fantasy loosely inspired by a mashup of Dishonored, Warmachine and Arcanum
>Mages and wizards 'n shit were a social class akin to the knights of medieval Europe and generally were the archetypal adventurer, primarily from wealthy families who either could afford wizard school fees or had magic run in the family
>World is currently in the process of an industrial revolution
>Revolution is an active, concerted conspiracy on the part of pseudo-Enlightenment scientific community to break the world's dependence on magic for the good of all
>Mages don't like this industrial revolution stuff, but the power brokers (many of them prominent or powerful mages themselves) see ideal opportunities in these 'sciences' and sponsor the scientific community
>Serendipitous conspiracy gains traction and makes advances using that can't be ignored
>Magic or mystic ingredients or materials turn out to have useful applications in machines or chemical mixtures
>Fast-forward sixty years
>Revolvers and repeating rifles have supplanted the sword
>The world stands on the brink of chaos because old power structures are behind the times, the citizenry armed with guns rather than pitchforks or torches
>Magical pollution destroying the environment from rapid industrialization turns dumping grounds into eldritch, horrific landscapes that are used as hideouts by daring crime rings, because of how dangerous they are
>Academic politicking between mages and scientists is escalating to dangerous levels
>And now a pseudo-Atlantis in the sky inhabited by a dragon-god has been found by a traveling airship

Thoughts, go.
>>
>>46437050
>Sounds a lot like X-men to me
Well, the X-Men have a decent chunk of it when they do slice of life stuff, McCoy being excellent for that.
However, they mainly fight superpowered terrorists, typically with teenagers with non-lethal melee or powers, all over the world in brightly colored masks and spandex using alien technology and live in hiding and secrecy from the world they protect that also hates and fears them.
...sometimes Spider-man helps.
How much of that would be part of a realistically depicted setting of a world living with powered individuals?
>>
>>46432381
>no ayys yet
>No habitable worlds

I'd change this. Just a couple planets, strongpoints of industry and frontier civilization. Major spots for people wanting to leave Earth and its network of vast orbitals.

Then?

Then one of those major frontier worlds goes dark.
>>
>>46438073
I want it. Bad.
>>
I basically want to make a fantasy campaign that's like Spelljammer except a galaxy instead of crystal spheres. The galaxy is sort of like the Great Ring cosmology with shit moved around, Elemental Chaos being the heart of the galaxy which expands out from there.

Two main inspirations:

One is Marvel magic and cosmic stories. Other dimensions, Infinity Stones, the line blurred between technology and magic, the Celestials, living gods and powerful magic.

The other is Warhammer 40k. An alternate dimension that facilitates travel like the Warp, Navigators, demons, heavy religious overtones with a practically dead lord.

I'm thinking the Astral Plane is kind of like the Warp, and Spelljammers use the Astral Plane to travel incredible distances. The common spelljammer is run by a mage of some kind connected to it. These mages could be like the Navigator houses.

Other small ideas are:

Dwarves are part of the legacy of the Celestials/Giants/Titans race of beings, worshipping them as gods and inheriting much from them.

Dragons are an ancient race of beings spread throughout the known galaxy, their potent blood corrupting and influencing lesser creatures. Sort of like an assimilation but much more subtle.

Bahamut the Platinum Dragon is worshipped as a god. It is a world-eater creature that dwells mostly in the Astral Plane and come into realspace to consume planets corrupted by terrible evil. Sort of like Galactus.
>>
I don't have a setting and even if I did it'd just be generic fantasy shit. ;_;
>>
File: 091.jpg (90 KB, 603x500) Image search: [Google]
091.jpg
90 KB, 603x500
Sol system collected to 4 similar system by wormholes that require near light speeds to work-- all of them have a human like species inhabiting it, except for one in deep space.

(Thinking humans and similar races were made by progenitor aliens as a science experiment)
>>
WWI and II, but with giant, clunky, team-operated mechs.
>>
>>46429019
>setting a peaceful future arcology.
>monsters, paradigm shifts and other supernatural phenomena coincide with problems in city infrastructure and glitches and malware attacks in the city's ubiquitous wireless network
>it turns out that the city is actually a virtual simulation being run on a hyperdimensional mainframe, and the glitches and monsters are evidence of people outside trying to break in (through the usual means) and people inside trying to break out (by doing or causing something that the system isn't prepared to simulate)
>the people running the computers outside are preparing to patch their virtual city into physical reality
>every PC and important NPC is someone who has realized the artificial nature of their world by doing something "out of bounds," but that something is always traumatic for the person in question (e.g. someone realized the world wasn't real because he beat his girlfriend to death with a pipe wrench. The system had no reason to prepare for him to do that because it didn't know he already suspected that the world was fake).
>what is real? What isn't? Are there people from the outside world stuck in the system with their memories erased? Is there even much of an outside world left? Is loading the virtual city into the physical world an act of hubris, or are things so far gone that recreating civilization is the only way to save the human race? Are the glitches even real, or just a way for the system to test how its lab rats would react to their world falling apart?
>>
>>46441214
I read that as coin-operated mechs.
>>
>>46441311
That's later when America wins the war and every supermarket has a mini coin-op version of their mech outside the doors.
>>
>>46438162
It's hard to have a world well adjusted to WMD-tier super powered people who sometimes even look radically different when skin color alone is still such a divisive issue today, and I think a setting that didn't acknowledge that would come off as insincere, but maybe that's just me.
>>
File: attack_soviet soldiers_1941.jpg (1 MB, 1872x1220) Image search: [Google]
attack_soviet soldiers_1941.jpg
1 MB, 1872x1220
>>46441214
I have nothing to offer but this image.
>>
World divided in three versions of itself:
One with eternal night,one with eternal day and one with supersaturation and wilderness.
History started to flow differently in in each world ,but if you have an analog of yourself there you can travel from world to world once per day.
>>
>>46441412
It would basically work like that, only with a bigger mech that requires a team of pilots to cover the legs, guns, more guns, even more guns, etc., with a 'captain' at the helm to provide directions to the crew. Infantry and standard armor would still exist, but their focus would be more on attacking the mechs, so a mech team would need a support cadre of their own tanks, bikes and infantry to hold the enemies down while the mech opens fire.

The American mech would have a huge grenade and explosive focus while also fielding a lot of machine guns.
The Russian mech would crank the dakka to eleven and be almost entirely covered in gatling guns and battleship cannons.
The German mech would deploy more powerful guns meant to pierce other mechs' armor, as well as massive flamethrowers because fuck infantry.
England's mech would be a sniper support mech with giant telescopic cannons able to shell a city from half a country away.
The Japanese mech would be able to traverse the ocean and act as a larger battleship, and even has a gigantic blade on one arm because honor.

I've put WAY too much thought into this.
>>
>>46441385
Well, there's adjusted and well adjusted.
There's "murder the mutie" racism and "not using that dentist because he hired a girl with a tail" racism.

It's the "the world mostly hasn't changed because they all stay hidden" I want to avoid.
Also, when shooting for realism, I might have to tweak the power levels a bit.
Or find a reason Hulk vs Superman wouldn't end up sending countries into the dark ages every other month.
>>
>>46441572
>bigger
KV-2 turrets are already enormous (the turret housed four crewmen iirc), and a 152mm howitzer is about as dakka as you can get for WWII. Any bigger and you're just a big heavy target that's sinking into the mud, not to mention it was plagued by fuel inefficiency, even as a tracked vehicle, but those might not be the things you care about, seeing as it's mecha.
>>
>>46429019
It's Renaissance Europe but with Tesla Vikings, Mongolians with giant tracked, mobile cities, Japanese with diesel powered power armour, and pirates/raiders with zeppelins. Oh, and it's for a wargame
>>
>>46441998
Anon, my dick can only get so hard.
>>
>>46441998
>zeppelin pirates

Nathan Zachary would be proud.
>>
File: 1459294130374.jpg (227 KB, 1600x964) Image search: [Google]
1459294130374.jpg
227 KB, 1600x964
>Dragons were originally beings of pure energy that existed in a similarly energy based plane of existence

>Occasionally there are micro tears in reality that allows some of this energy to seep into our reality and is the source of numerous phenomenon when it occasionally hits earth

>A child born during the time of world war III was such a person affected which did not give them any special power but was strong enough to attract the attention of a dragon

>The Dragon tried to follow the source of this sensation and fell through tearing a larger hole in reality falling towards earth in a physical form of an egg like rock and died while our reality is not polluted with the other reality becoming one

>This introduces "Arcane" or just magic into the setting

cont'd
>>
File: Diabolos_(FFXI).png (278 KB, 900x485) Image search: [Google]
Diabolos_(FFXI).png
278 KB, 900x485
>>46443389

>The boy comes in contact with the Egg meteor after it destroyed a city that was expereicing the worst of the fighting.
> By connecting with the boy's feelings of lost and hatred it he is absorbed into it and creates a new being that would be later classified as Diabolos
>Once joined the egg roots itself into the earth and the energies eminating from it cause life to mutate
>After a number of centuries humans begin learning and understanding the nature of this energy but figure out that it's leading to the birth of a terrible monster worst then the ones spawned by it that continue to attack humanity

>Losing numbers, humanity created several servitor races to aid them in their fight while they planed the exodus of man-kind from earth to a nearby planet in giant Arc ships

>Diabolos wakes up and gives chase to the Arc ships destroying many and damaging a few more before it is "killed" over the new world

>Only a handlful of humans survive but a majority of the servitor races survive the onslaught

>Through their advanced technology the few remaining humans make themselves immortal and watch over the body of Diabolos while the servitor races eventually form their own societies and cultures with memories of humanity fading over time into various religious beliefs.
>>
>>46443483

>The Servitor races include Elves (engineered to be natural users of Arcane), Orcs (Soldiers that can adapt to numerous climates within a few generations) Goblins (mechanical experts who can work in small enclosed spaces) and Harpies (avian type creatures that range from flightless warriors to small scouts)

> The humans that were left or died on earth are reborn into Dragon Born

>After 2000 years the original egg is stirring and the Dragon Born are mobilising their technology to get the body of their god back.
>>
Westernized princess mononoke, taking elements from celtic mythology for fairys and giants, Elementals are like the gods/demons from princes mononoke but they embody emotions and universal constants, like anger, vigor, death, night, fear and joy.

The world has much more going on than what humans are doing. In actuality the thread going on about cosmic horror in nature is pretty similar to what i have going on with this setting.
>>
RATE MY MAGIC SYSTEM

A Secret Keeper is a powerful individual, capable of bending the very world to their will. There are many sought-after Secrets, such as Fire, Death, or Lightning. There are some less useful Secrets, such as Fortresses, Caverns, or Light. Then there are some that few seek at all, like Generosity, Deformity, or Duty. Most Secrets do not grant special powers at all, instead granting incredible skill in a specific field, imbuing the Keeper with a particular virtue or vice, or shaping the Keeper’s life in a particular way.

Secrets ultimately come from gods, who sometimes grant their most loyal followers a Secret related to their role in the pantheon. Due to this most Keepers are human or dwarven. However, one can also be told a Secret by a Keeper. The original Keeper then forgets the Secret, passing it on to a new Keeper. Secrets are often passed down through families, originating from some distant priestly ancestor.

Secrets must be whispered in the ear of the receiver, and anyone listening in hears nothing. Secrets may also be written, after which they are forgotten by the original Keeper. The reader receives the Secret and the written Secret vanishes. Secrets can also be discovered through exhaustive research, though the only person to ever find a Secret in such a way was a Keeper of the Secret of Scholarship.

Some rare Keepers have more than one Secret, and these are exponentially more powerful than ordinary Keepers. Secrets combine. The Secret of Life grants healing powers and immortality (but not eternal youth), the Secret of Death grants death curses, killing spells, etc., but both together grant the power of necromancy. Two Secrets with overlapping areas, such as Agriculture and Plants, give a Keeper greater power over the overlapping area than two Keepers working together.
>>
File: Medieval Samus.png (364 KB, 560x709) Image search: [Google]
Medieval Samus.png
364 KB, 560x709
>>46437987
There is a continent roughly split into a Fable side and an Overlord side.
On the Fable side, the lands are plagued by monsters and bandits, due to the Hero's guild having collapsed. Magic is rare as diamonds, and guns are so uncommon as to appear magical to the commoners.
On the Overlord half of the Island, the previous Overlord was slain almost a thousand years ago by great warriors, so the land has enjoyed relative peace.
There are things the dwarves who live in the Golden Hills, the Halflings who live in the Mellow Hills, and all those things from Overlord.
Except this time the Elves and the dwarves actually get along with each other, and the dwarves have gone beyond just chucking crude bombs and have developed proper muskets and the like.
The two interlinking stories for the campaign were going to be "The Overlord has come back to life, we must stop/join him!" and "We can rebuild the Hero's guild, to become the greatest heroes/mercenaries in the land!"

There was also some other rip offs of other settings thrown in for the sake of it. Like an abnormally tall, strong female warrior in bronze-coloured armour that could fire seemingly magical bolts from the rapid fire crossbow contraption on her right arm.

Pity I never got the chance to properly explore the setting with the group due to aforementioned derailment.
>>
A fantasy setting with knights and wizards and archers and primitive guns (EG flintlock pistols and shit). Civilization can be boiled down to city states centered around fantasy WMG (one protected by a dragon, another protected by a giant magic circle which can rend the earth with a proper ritual, etc).

The wider world is insanely dangerous to the point that getting exiled from your current city of residence is basically just a cruel death sentence - only great heroes (re: high level characters) have any hope of surviving out there for very long.

Trade and travel is done by limited teleportation.

Is it retarded or is it cool?
>>
>Way back in the day an ancient precursor race brought magic into the world and gave life to the various races
>Left ruins and artifacts all around the world
>Thousands and thousands of years later that stuff starts getting dug up
>One artifact is a magical gate to different worlds
>Huge war starts up, various groups want to activate the gate for their own ends
>Years of bloody conflict ensue before one dude figures out how to activate it
>He also figures out how to destroy it, and threatens to do so if the fighting doesn't stop
>Everyone shows up at his doorstep, and huge battle breaks out
>So he breaks the motherfucker.
>Well, sort of. The gate's now stuck to one specific world, too damaged to change where it leads to.
>It's enough to get everyone to stop the war, have a peace council, yadda yadda.
>But now that the gate's open to everyone, there's a sort of gold-rush scenario
>Everyone wants to explore this alien new world, make it rich digging up precursor shit, find new species, and other convenient adventuring type crap.

Still pretty damn rough, but would you guys play it?
>>
>>46440418
It gets better, anon.

>Steampunk corporate environment ensures steampunk Shadowrunners are in hot demand
>Archaeologists want to go poke around in Sky-Atlantis, so adventurers are desperately needed because it turns out shit's dangerous in there
>At least one province of the primary empire is facing a French Revolution scenario if the empire can't lock down on the problem quickly enough
>Corporate feuds play with the fates of provinces
>Frontier regions of the main empire, with Not-Fantasy Japan coming from the other direction
>Not-Japan uses augmented super-soldiers who have been rewired with magical procedures to move so fast that time slows down for them - permanently
>Major conflicts between Imperial and Not-Japanese intelligence networks in frontier towns
>Weird cultural cross-pollination over a generation or so leads to bizarre cases of double-agents using methods normally only seen in one culture
>Assassin's guild based all across the continent uses the not-Christmas holiday as a recruitment drive

List of awesome shit continues, but I lost all my notes somewhere.
>>
Whole lot of posting settings and not rating them.
>>
>>46444669
Sounds cool. Dangerous how?
>>
>>46444817
7/10. Implications of one or more other gates would be baller in the course of a game, but the origin of the gates being some ancient precursor race isn't super original. Not to piss on your cheerios at all. It's a good setup and sounds entertaining enough. Would play with acknowledgement of flaws.

>>46444669
Further detail requested, but I like what I'm hearing. Why is the world so dangerous and how rare are these pockets of civilization?

>>46441998
Jesus fuck. 10/10, would masturbate to.

>>46441214
8/10. Not original, doesn't have to be. And giant clunky walking tanks are my fetish. Would recreate the plot to Fury with the party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vFGQ0uJQc

>>46429019
>Mecha Demons

Yes/10.
>>
>>46445112
The wilderness is mainly inhabited by insanely vicious beasts and monsters who, for some reason I have yet to work out, have a massive hate-boner for humans and such. So on top of being dangerous to fight, they'll follow you until you collapse or start fighting back.

I might make the hate boner be the result of some sort of curse (maybe make it some sort of original sin type deal) or something to do with the magical energies inherent in the intelligent races.
>>
>>46441998
Make the powered armor do terrible, horrible things to the wearer when severely damaged/critfail and I'm in.

>>46444394
pls rate
>>
>>46445273
Do what I do. Tell them nobody really knows and that they can come with their own theories. Then steal the best one.
>>
>>46445339
>Then steal the best one

Alternatively, pitch the best one as something the best academic minds of their generation buy into.

Then totally subvert it with a variant of that theory that has elements of one or more other theories the party pitches - JUST wrong enough that they didn't call it, but JUST right enough that they feel clever for 'figuring part of it out.'
>>
>>46445194
>how rare are these pockets of civilization?

They're spread out far enough that getting from one to another on foot is a bad idea. I'm thinking somewhere around ten big city states or so, perhaps with a few smaller ones.

Every once in a while, a city state will get a visitor or a trader, but due to the teleportation magic necessary to make this happen, it's uncommon and restricted mostly to the rich and powerful.

A person who just showed up one day knocking on a city's outer walls would be treated with immediate and terrible suspicion, but most would allow such a person inside after a period of detainment to make sure it's not some sort of mimic-type monster.

Due to the general danger of the world, warfare between cities is uncommon, but cities without sentient protectors (like the aforementioned dragon city) have been known to break out into civil war if the people are dissatisfied with their leaders. They're usually stamped out.

The city states themselves and the protective beings and artifacts they're based around have existed about as long as intelligent life.

>>46445339
>>46445461
Those are pretty good ideas, so I think I'll do that once I get around to running this setting.
>>
>>46429019
What are all of y'alls opinions on post-post-apocalypse settings?
>>
>>46445654
Depends on the nature of the apocalypse, and what happens after.
>>
>>46444394
Sounds like the 'magic' in Dwarf Fortress, which works in a similar way, but doesn't erase itself, and is currently limited to necromancy, outside of modding.
>>
>>46429019
It's a plane that's composed of a large number of floating islands that have paired portals linking them.
>>
File: A LEC Trader picks up her cargo.jpg (144 KB, 689x1050) Image search: [Google]
A LEC Trader picks up her cargo.jpg
144 KB, 689x1050
In the year 2134 a great and terrible war all but ended human civilization. Only those who fortified their cities in massive fortress-arcologies or dug deep underground were able to whether the devastation wrought by hundreds of nuclear, chemical, biological, and nano-technological weapons. Three hundred years later, society emerged from the rubble. A balance of power between five great powers was struck. London, with its great trading halls, through which billions of tons worth of freight claims pass. Seattle, with its ornate beanstalk & orbital spaceport. Berlin, with its cyclopean forges, manufactories, and mines. Pax Mongolica, the last true nation-state.
Then, a landmark discovery. Automated terraforming facilities on and orbiting Mars had born fruit. Mars has gone from being a frigid world of lifeless deserts, to being a habitable, but still lifeless world of tundras, scrub deserts, conifer forest and a shallow northern ocean. However, Mars was not uninhabited. The Great War was not limited to Earth, and some unknown forces unleashed a mutagenic nanophage onto the colonists. They were mutated beyond recognition to the last man and woman. These nanobeasts still stalk the MArtian wilderness, cpturing and converting those they do not kill. Nevertheless, the scramble for Mars had begun. one hundred and thirty years later, cities with populations numbering in the thousands have sprung up on Mars. Mining stations in the belt support the massive project of the martian beanstalk being built by the engineers of the London Exchange Group. Huge plants on the moon bake regolith for precious He3. The end of hostilities between the martian PM colony and Seattlite settlers two years ago has left half of Tharsis a smoking ruin. Mars is now in a chaotic state, not dissimilar from the now legendary American wild west.

Thoughts?
>>
>>46447482
5/10 i like flying island but it feels like one of the coolest parts of those worlds is how travel is done between them, portals kind of negate the esthetic flying islands goes for.
>>
>>46447995
What caused the mutations?
>>
>>46449962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJvOxFhVNbQ
>>
it was generic medieval land with no magic

then a bunch of lanky, permanently armored foreigners showed up

they sold magic scrolls, items and potions

and then the entire society fell to shit less than a decade later
>>
A spherical hollow with a diameter of one light year in plane of infinite earth, with multiple stars orbiting the centre, and indestructible thermal vents littering the landscape. Also, forests of giant bio-luminescent mushrooms in the areas that never see the light of day.

What does /tg/ think?
>>
File: wook.png (445 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
wook.png
445 KB, 900x900
>>46429019
A low-magic/high-fantasy setting set about in equivalent of 1900-1940s.
World is separated by lots of sea and populations are comparatively smaller, lot still remain unexplored.
Humans are not common, had their magic stripped away too by a calamity that destroyed their previous empire.
Magic is still pretty hermetical and poorly understood despite thousands of years of research.
Gods exist, are numerous, but rather distant from people. Some very devoted ones might gain favours. Antithetical to all life in general, though.
Demons are completely psychic entities, not possessing a physical form at all.
>>
Pirates of the Caribbean but with cowboys.
>>
File: 20160326_043651.jpg (6 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160326_043651.jpg
6 MB, 5312x2988
Been kind of nervous about showing my setting to my group but it's basically going to be this purgatory-esque village, where lost souls kind of live out their lives. The PCs would play as these sort of guardian spirits that have to guide the villagers through their conflicts, and struggles, usually manifested in a Silent Hill meets Psychonauts personal hell. The village is kind of surreal, with giant mysterious looming architecture, and areas leading to strange and personal places. The PCs will have to decide who is and isn't worth helping, while also balancing the growing paranoia of the village around them, and the supernatural happenings originating from the mysterious monuments
>>
>>46452947
Also don't know why but my phone posted this image upside down.
>>
File: North America 2082 Map.png (313 KB, 2147x2215) Image search: [Google]
North America 2082 Map.png
313 KB, 2147x2215
I would like any North Americans to tell me how believable this map is. It's for a cyberpunk setting, alternate history starting from 1991 (The attempted coup in Russia ended up succeeding instead of miserably failing) and things got progressively worse. The world collapses after another stock market crash, and the rise of militarism throughout the world. Brushfires wars happen all over, mostly for resource acquisition, and ends up with the world in a terrible position afterwords, and North America fractured.
>>
>magic
>magic is not a will of some divine creature
>magic is simply a physical force, like gravity and electromagnetism
>bosons of magic also screws with electricity hard enough to make sure only steam/diesel-powered science is plausible
>not hard enough to deny biology and atoms' overall existence and working tho
>also all equations with magic present are fucking weird (and wish-fulfillment), so the whole science shit gets magnitudes harder
>but new materials ascend and allow to create magic forces non-magically, so science is ok
>magically talented creatures have evolutionally estabilished some resonating structures in their brains
>E=mc2
>it's easiest to deal with energy
>telekinesis, heating, cooling
>trees need to protect themselves from catching a fire everytime a wolf attacks a fucking bear or whatever
>danmaku is perfectly reasonable magic warfare
>harder, but possible, to do transformations of matter
>every living creature evolutionary estabilishes self-protection from direct magic transformation to not become sand everytime being attacked
>insects don't, screw them
>telepathy or illusions not possible because of said protection
>you can wear it off voluntarily for someone, so healing and mind-reading is possible
>most advanced magic though allow you to screw all rules of reality and deal with causality and paradoxes
>well, thinking of it, magic is some sort of divine creature
>this force is not omnipresent in universe, because for first magic boson to be born is a very small chance inside of very specific star
>only 1 out of 100 galaxies at present time may have it
>but then it infects matter around it, stealing some energy and creating more of itself
>once stellar cluster size, all patterns that are present in the field, become resembling brain structure (like in The Black Cloud)
>people can't really communicate with it, unless they somewhat ascend after lifelong study of magic works
>nobody saw them afterwards
>>
>>46453537
>technologically advanced civilization living without magic can't quite see it coming
>they are screwed once it reaches them
>electricity-based tech quickly winds down
>biology survives, but with some neurology disease
>some die
>nobody can cast magic because needs some evolution
>cosmic apocalypse
>back to planets evolved in magic field
>very high magic setting
>it just feels like everyone has an invisible rocket launcher with them all the time
>so in cities, conflicts better be FUCKING reasonable
>literally every planet goes through the stage of "You Know Years Ago Magic Catastrophe Happened"
>sentient magic field always sends small-deity-level troops to clean this mess up
>it's hard even for them because people just fuck their shit up too hard every time (paradoxes and shit)
>but they eventually succeed and limit mage's abilities to screw shit up by strict code
>called Angels
>magic cares so much because life is wonderful and it also uses these planets as nerve centers because of their complexity
>still some parts of the planet often evolve without magic
>Magic Conquista fucks them, but in some settings, not too hard
>usually conquistadors start "Magic Catastrophy" shortly after
>meanwhile magicless humans develop science good enough to contest them
>or die
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.