[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gaming Music: Chargen Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: black sun.jpg (20 KB, 589x607) Image search: [Google]
black sun.jpg
20 KB, 589x607
ITT: Discuss the music you use with gaming.

I'm about to head off to dinner with the family but I want to get into writing overdrive afterwards. I could use some good mood music. Info on it below.

The character I'm writing up was a devout 40k naval soldier that's been through some shit, became an unsanctioned psycker, kept it hidden, was discharged, and went on a pilgrimage to Terra and became sanctioned while there. After years of introspection, this now disillusioned ex-soldier sanctioned psycker was recruited into the Inquisition. (Acolyte with high starting xp, I'm flavoring most/all of the xp as prior to recruitment though).

I started with Disturbed's cover of The Sound of Silence (link below), and I'm thinking something of a combo of that and Godsmack. Any other good input in this vein?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
>>
>>46418100
>100
Well fuck. This thread is doomed to Heresy. If it dies before I return I suppose I can try again.
>>
>>46418100
I generally think of this track as good for fighting your way through a burning building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRZ_itT50l4

Um. Ive come up with a background for some RT Navy Armsmen i think you might want to use. Theyre called the Kin of Clan Cromwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TSH6OmO-Dw

This song tipifies guardsmen, but it may work for Imperial Navy too.
>>
Back, with a few drinks and some sushi in my belly. Let's get writing!

>>46418728
Well the plan is for him to make it to Senior Chief Petty Officer before discharge. I hadn't really planned much for his actual battalion but it's in the Askellon sector (Dark Heresy 2e) so I'm not sure if it would work very well.

As for my music themes, I was recommended Type O Negative to add to the mix, and potentially old Metallica. Definitely leaning Type O Negative direction though, while I like old Metallica it's not as much the vibe I was going with.
>>
>I started with Disturbed's cover of The Sound of Silence (link below), and I'm thinking something of a combo of that and Godsmack. Any other good input in this vein?
How about the best version?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4
>>
>>46421253
Best version is great, but too melodic. Lends to a more nostalgic and soothing sound, giving it a much more hopeful and meaningful vibe. While the Disturbed version has a darker and more troubled sound, more like a personal contemplation and less of a lesson to the world.
>>
>>46418100
Well I typically listen to dungeon synth/dark ambient. It's nostalgia worship of old pc RPGs and what not but it's a nice mood setter.
>>
>>46422833
hmm, got any solid examples? might be a cool listen for certain things
>>
>>46418100
I would like some advice. In the Star Wars game I'm running, the players are trying to survive in the Coruscant underworld. My players are currently finding out more about an underground music/drugs scene with dangerous anarchist overtones. They've found out that one of the members is actually an undercover member of the local mob, who want more information on this weird group. He was a pretty friendly guy, and they seem fond of him.
Now, next session, the players are planning on attending a concert to find out more about this group (they need all the allies/contacts they can get). When at the concert, they are going to learn that the band usually burns an effigy during the grand finale. But they can, if they make the Perception checks, see that the "effigy" in question is actually the drugged and bound spy. So he's going to be executed after the next few songs.
Now I'm planning on, IRL, playing 2-3 songs at this point, and telling the players that when the songs finish the execution is happening if they haven't intervened yet. This is to provide a sense of urgency and hopefully immersion.
I would really like suggestions for music. The only one I've found so far that I like is an instrumental version of "Beautiful People," because it sounds unsettling enough for the mood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0p0Dtwn0U8
Opinions of the scenario in general are also very welcome.
(If the "execution at a concert" idea sounds familiar, it's because I stole it from Oneshot Campaign.)
>>
>>46423807
OP here, and about 90% of that post is rather off topic, you might be better off making your own thread, you'd be more likely to get some serious input.

Regarding the music though I might be able to help you out a bit there. Abney Park might be a good direction to go in there. I might be able to come up with some other suggestions if I know more of the types of music you're considering would fit this particular culture.
>>
>>46424404
You're right. I apologize for going way overboard with the amount of context I provided. Thanks for the suggestion, though. "Too Far to Turn Back Now" in particular sounds like it would work well.

Btw, I was just listening to some Godsmack to get a feel for what you're asking for. And I may be totally off base here, but I think that some of RED's music fits what you are looking for. I'd especially recommend "Feed the Machine."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4y3xPe6iVU

I also think that Five Finger Death Punch would work well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He4YV1uqwfs
>>
>>46424821
First one is too heavy. Second one is pretty close.

Another way to look at it would be slow tired depressing metal kek but nothing obviously romantic/post-romantic
>>
Gonna make a Pandora station with Godsmack, that Disturbed cover of The Sound of Silence, maybe Five Finger Death Punch, and Voltaire I think... With those as seeds I wonder what I'll get out of it all.

Also bump.
>>
Well, with Disturbed's Sound of Silence and Voltaire as seeds it was already suggesting Godsmack and Five Finger Death Punch, this is good. Also suggested were Seether, Drowning Pool, Korn, Linkin Park... and several others varying from good to shit. First track when I started with the Sound of Silence was Angel by Theory of a Dead Man. So far kinda meh but I have learned that Pandora tends to take the qualities of all the stuff you seed, blend it, and pour the smoothie into every swamp that shares qualities from the seeds, and then blends all that... And then takes the resulting mush and pours it into ice cubes and uses those ice cubes in a drink made of shit from another continent. I doubt I'll get anything great, but I might get some decent stuff.

In the time it took to write this rambling post, the second track popped up and it's Nothing Else Matters by Metallica. I strike my earlier statement, got a single great track so far. Maybe this is going to work out afterall.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.